PDA

View Full Version : Taylor/King tour

Troubadour
11-10-2009, 05:35 PM
I've been getting loads of emails from James Taylor lately (reckon I should call the authorities?) and today he says that he is uniting with Carole King to embark upon a 'Troubadour Reunion' tour in 2010. Kicking off in Australia, New Zealand and Japan. North American and European dates will be announced soon.

I'm so excited! I missed out on seeing him when he was here back in May, but this sounds great. He also mentions Danny Kortchmar a lot, which makes me think nice Don-related thoughts. ;)

I'd love to know if anyone else is planning on going!

Freypower
11-10-2009, 05:42 PM
If he is starting here, I might have to go. It sounds right up my street.

tbs fanatic
11-10-2009, 05:57 PM
That does sound good. I loooooove James Taylor :inlove:.

eaglesvet
11-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I've seen JT a bunch over the years because he is my hubby's favorite artist (well, one of them). We also saw Carole King once, and I was most pleasantly surprised. She was popular slightly before of my time in musical tastes, so I wasn't expecting to be so familiar with her work...but I was proven wrong. So, I guess the two of them together will be quite something!!

GlennLover
11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I just told my husband that they were touring together & I thought that he was going to pass out! It's not likely that they'll come anywhere near to this neck of the woods though.

MikeA
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but Verna got all excited yesterday telling me that James Taylor and Carol King were going to do some touring.

That should be a good show!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8453899.stm

GlennLover
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
My husband has subscribed to James' site for updates on this. The first concerts are in Australia. Harold was all excited last night as he got an E mail announcing concerts in the US. I think mostly East coast. He was particularly excited about Boston, as he often visits relatives in that area.

eaglesvet
01-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I heard yesterday that JT was playing Madison Square Garden in June (I've not heard of him playing there in ages, if at all). The tix go on sale in the next week or so, but they didnt mention Carole on the radio ad. That doesn't mean she won't be on the bill...it may have been a very brief ad. They should've mentioned her, though.

eaglesvet
01-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Interesting. I just went on Ticketmaster to get more info. They list JT and Carole together in Illinois, Ohio, Boston, Florida, Canada (I think... check again)...but not in NYC at all. Not even the show I just heard about, that was supposed to go on sale very soon--neither solo or together. Will have to wait for further developments!

ticky
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
They're coming to Portland too! but Im not sure I can afford tickets :-( Im kind of saving up for another concert in the spring ;-)

AzEaglesFan
01-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Just in todays Arizona Republic that Carole King and James Taylor will be in Glendale, Az on May 19th. It's called the Troubadour Reunion.

luvthelighthouse
01-17-2010, 01:00 AM
A friend of mine got tickets today. I think there are at least four of us going. I don't even know where we are sitting... but I'm sure it'll be a good time.

tequila girl
05-21-2010, 05:10 PM
I've just watched the re-union concert by JT & CK recorded at The Troubadour in 2007 backed by "The Section" the same band that featured on their albums almost 4 decades ago!
I have to admit to shedding a few tears as the memories came flooding back!

Just off to watch Neil Young now as he traces his musical journey.......

luvthelighthouse
05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm going to see JT and CK Monday night! I can't wait!

Troubadour
05-21-2010, 05:17 PM
:jealous: Have a wonderful time, ltl - I can't imagine you'll have anything less! I would LOVE to see this show.

Prettymaid
05-21-2010, 05:39 PM
LTL, my husband is wanting to see them too. We saw JT several years ago and he was good. Have a great time and of course, report back! :thumbsup:

tequila girl
05-21-2010, 06:07 PM
LTL - I'm sure it will be brilliant, can't wait to hear all about it!

Z
05-22-2010, 08:45 AM
I have tickets for the Philly show. Definitely looking forward to it.

Looking forward to your review, LTL.

luvthelighthouse
05-25-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm back from the show. I went to dinner w/friends and then we headed to the show. For some reason, they had police directing traffic and it was the biggest cluster! The show tix said start time was 7:30. I didn't even get IN the venue until 8:15, thanks to the wonderful traffic situation. Mind you, we were at dinner FIVE minutes away! I was not going to let that ruin my fun, as I knew they'd be playing for some time.

Unlike an Eagles show, I have no clue what the set list was, nor do I have pics. I was in the set of seats that I guess would be considered first tier. Too far for any pics. Instead, I tried to just take it in and expierence the show, w/out knowing what was next to come. When I got there, James was singing. Standing there looking all tall in his dress pants and dress shirt. I was wondering if he called Glenn for tips on how the "older" generation should dress. :)

The stage was awesome, it rotated! High above the stage were screens. It was so cool, because those circled the stage as well. I'm not doing the stage any justice, but trust me, it was cool! They did their thing and it was kinda subdued. They took a break and came back better then ever. Carole had changed into a white top w/a long whilte sweater over it, blue jeans and heels. James changed into jeans, a short sleeve shirt and his cap. This is when things got better. He'd sing one of his slow hits, she'd belt out a rockin' number. She was on the piano a lot, but she got up and sang too. She sang A Natural Woman and was all over that stage workin it! Jumping around in those heels, drawing the crowd it. When she was done, even JT stopped and clapped for her. He actually did this several times throughout the night. There was so much love and respect on that stage and it melted into the stands. They'd sing next to each other and she put her head on his shoulder and when the song was done, he'd kiss the top of her head. She talked about when she was starting out, how she worked w/different people. James would say, "yeah, but this is YOUR song, you really wrote it" It was cute. She sang another song and he did a handwriting motion and pointed to her, saying, "see, another great she wrote". He sang an old blues tune from his Flying Machine days. He was mimicing himself and other blues guys and acting silly. He did the duck walk like he was an old man and used his guitar as a cane. He's quite charming. He too was jumping around and seemed in great shape. I was so impressed with both of the them.

I was surprised by one song they did. See, every night my husband and I take turns helping one of the kids w/their bath. I always ask, who's mine to help tonight. Then I sing to them, "tonight your mine" It probably drives them crazy w/my horrible singing voice, but I do it anyway. Well, I was shocked to find out Carole wrote, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, for the Shirelles. When she started singing it, I started bawling like a baby! I hadn't seen my kids since this morning and I was really missing them... and then she sang that... that was the highlight of the show for me.

They sang so many songs, I can't recall them all. I do know they ended with, You've Got a Friend. When leaving the stage, James held Caroles hand and guided her to the stairs. They came back for an encore of Up On the Roof and I Feel the Earth Move. They left... the crowd began leaving and they came back again! This time, no band on stage, just the two of them sitting next to each other and him strumming the guitar. Her head on his shoulder at certain points again. I believe they sang, You Can Close Your Eyes. He kissed her on the top of her head again. They bowed and he led her by the small of her back to the stairs. The way he was so tender and gentle with her made my heart melt.

There was lots more, but that's the jist of it. If anyone has a chance to see them, it's so worth it!

Brooke
05-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Wow, ltlh! That sounds like a wonderful show! Thanks for the great review! Methinks I should check out their tour schedule! :nod:

Troubadour
05-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the fantastic review, ltl. Thrilled you had a good time!

Ive always been a dreamer
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks from me too, ltl. That was a great review and sounds like a fantastic show. :singer: :guitar:

May have to give this some serious thought! Hmmm Z - what is the date of that Philly show? :wink:

Prettymaid
05-27-2010, 10:17 AM
LTL, have I ever told you that you sure know how to review a show??!! That was great! And the part about giving your kids a bath was adorable.

I've seen JT once, about 7-8 years ago. He was good with lots of banter with the audience. He has a very dry sense of humor - I liked it. And I've always been a Carole King fan. I used to love looking at that picture of her on the front of the Tapestry album, wishing that were me, wearing what she's wearing, bare feet, curled up sitting in that room with that cat. What a great songwriter!

Troubadour
05-27-2010, 01:56 PM
I used to love looking at that picture of her on the front of the Tapestry album, wishing that were me, wearing what she's wearing, bare feet, curled up sitting in that room with that cat.

I do that now!

Prettymaid
05-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I do that now!

Lol! Something about that picture is so cozy! And natural.

:singer: You make me feel like a natural woman... http://www.websmileys.com/sm/music/musik22.gif

luvthelighthouse
05-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Awe, thanks PM!

I just found something on youtube. (Troub, check it out- your guy is in there)

Also, they did this the first half of the show, I thought it was the later part... also, the song she was "really" getting down to was I Feel The Earth Move... this was her "flirty" song. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq4b_D4w8yQ&feature=related

Troubadour
05-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Okay, yeah... I want to be her even more now! :rockguitar: :faint:

That was fantastic - what a cool stage. Thanks so much for posting, ltl. LOVED it.

Troubadour
05-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Here's another one from LTL's show. Timeless song, and the intro is cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFBW3ZEpLQ&feature=related

luvthelighthouse
05-28-2010, 09:48 PM
I agree, it was a cute story! It's funny watching the video's again, because I think I missed so much the first time around.

WitchyWoman92
01-26-2016, 05:47 AM
I'm back from the show. I went to dinner w/friends and then we headed to the show. For some reason, they had police directing traffic and it was the biggest cluster! The show tix said start time was 7:30. I didn't even get IN the venue until 8:15, thanks to the wonderful traffic situation. Mind you, we were at dinner FIVE minutes away! I was not going to let that ruin my fun, as I knew they'd be playing for some time.

Unlike an Eagles show, I have no clue what the set list was, nor do I have pics. I was in the set of seats that I guess would be considered first tier. Too far for any pics. Instead, I tried to just take it in and expierence the show, w/out knowing what was next to come. When I got there, James was singing. Standing there looking all tall in his dress pants and dress shirt. I was wondering if he called Glenn for tips on how the "older" generation should dress. :)

The stage was awesome, it rotated! High above the stage were screens. It was so cool, because those circled the stage as well. I'm not doing the stage any justice, but trust me, it was cool! They did their thing and it was kinda subdued. They took a break and came back better then ever. Carole had changed into a white top w/a long whilte sweater over it, blue jeans and heels. James changed into jeans, a short sleeve shirt and his cap. This is when things got better. He'd sing one of his slow hits, she'd belt out a rockin' number. She was on the piano a lot, but she got up and sang too. She sang A Natural Woman and was all over that stage workin it! Jumping around in those heels, drawing the crowd it. When she was done, even JT stopped and clapped for her. He actually did this several times throughout the night. There was so much love and respect on that stage and it melted into the stands. They'd sing next to each other and she put her head on his shoulder and when the song was done, he'd kiss the top of her head. She talked about when she was starting out, how she worked w/different people. James would say, "yeah, but this is YOUR song, you really wrote it" It was cute. She sang another song and he did a handwriting motion and pointed to her, saying, "see, another great she wrote". He sang an old blues tune from his Flying Machine days. He was mimicing himself and other blues guys and acting silly. He did the duck walk like he was an old man and used his guitar as a cane. He's quite charming. He too was jumping around and seemed in great shape. I was so impressed with both of the them.

I was surprised by one song they did. See, every night my husband and I take turns helping one of the kids w/their bath. I always ask, who's mine to help tonight. Then I sing to them, "tonight your mine" It probably drives them crazy w/my horrible singing voice, but I do it anyway. Well, I was shocked to find out Carole wrote, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, for the Shirelles. When she started singing it, I started bawling like a baby! I hadn't seen my kids since this morning and I was really missing them... and then she sang that... that was the highlight of the show for me.

They sang so many songs, I can't recall them all. I do know they ended with, You've Got a Friend. When leaving the stage, James held Caroles hand and guided her to the stairs. They came back for an encore of Up On the Roof and I Feel the Earth Move. They left... the crowd began leaving and they came back again! This time, no band on stage, just the two of them sitting next to each other and him strumming the guitar. Her head on his shoulder at certain points again. I believe they sang, You Can Close Your Eyes. He kissed her on the top of her head again. They bowed and he led her by the small of her back to the stairs. The way he was so tender and gentle with her made my heart melt.

There was lots more, but that's the jist of it. If anyone has a chance to see them, it's so worth it!

I know that this is a super old thread but I just wanted to tell you what a great review you wrote of the show. I saw James and Carole on that same tour in 2010 when I was in high school. They played Philadelphia twice and I went to both shows. I'm 23 now and I saw James a third time in 2015 at the Borgata in Atlantic City. I have loved James' music since I was three-ish but that's a story for another day. I love how you described his interactions with Carole King. They have the cutest friendship.

LuvTim
01-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Well, since you've revived this, I'll just say that we have the cd/dvd of this reunion concert and we love it. :heart: It must have been so great to be there and see it in person. :smile: