PDA

View Full Version : Favorite songs Glenn has covered

sodascouts
12-29-2006, 12:14 AM
I was thinking of all those great old songs Glenn has covered, and I thought it would be interesting to see which are the biggest hits around here. So... which of the songs he's covered is your favorite?

Released
I've Been Born Again
Sea Cruise
Wild Mountain Thyme
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed

Live (some of these he only did once)
Slow Down
My Girl
Rocky Mountain Way
His Latest Flame (Marie's the Name)
Let The Good Times Roll
Blue Light Boogie
Show Biz Kids
Some Kind of Wonderful
I Hear You Knockin'
634-578
I Saw Her Standing There
I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
I'll Come Runnin' Back to You

Note: Most of these live covers are on bootlegs. Some of the songs I've posted on GFO (scroll to the solo stuff, both the audio and video sections): http://www.glennfreyonline.com/downloads/multimedialive.htm and you can find a couple more on The Fastlane here: http://www.eaglesfans.com/downloads/audio/index.htm#freymusic .

Let me know if I forgot any!

sodascouts
12-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Oops - forgot to put mine!

My favorite released one is Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed. He really pulls off that bluesy vocal.

The live ones are harder. I guess, if pressed, I'd say it's a tie between the way he does My Girl and I Love to Watch a Woman Dance. The first is absolutely charming and the latter is VERY sexy.

EasyFeeling
12-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Sadly I don't know most the these songs. :( I need to go to GFO in order to listen to some once more. All I can say is I really love Wild Mountain Thyme.

Brooke
12-29-2006, 11:34 AM
I've only heard a few, so I'm going to have to do my homework too, to pick a favorite. Of the released ones I think I pick Wild Mountain Thyme.

sodascouts
12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Looks like this will turn into a learning experience, lol. But it's always good to get Frey-edified!

freygirl
12-29-2006, 01:57 PM
I've had the pleasure of hearing "I Saw Her Standing There" and "Rocky Mountain Way" (w/ Joe) live and in person (Party of Two) and they were cool but I really like "Ive Been Born Again" 'cause I just think it's cute.

I'd love to hear "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance". sigh

Z
12-29-2006, 06:47 PM
My favorite is Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed although I really enjoyed hearing him do I Hear You Knockin'. I can only imagine how good My Girl sounds.

Freypower
12-29-2006, 10:25 PM
I have a few thoughts, unsurprisingly:

Overall my favourite cover is probably Wild Mountain Thyme. It is one of the most intense, committed performances I have ever seen, and the audience are as involved in it as Glenn is.

My Girl is perfect for instantly turning yourself into a puddle of goo. It just makes you smile. He changes the line 'I've got a sweeter song than the birds in the tree' to 'I've got a sweeter song TO SING...' sigh!

Some Kind Of Wonderful is a great uptempo thing in which again the audience is heavily involved.

I love I Hear You Knockin' because it's a great 'kiss off' song & Glenn is superb at those. I love the way he sings it.

I had the privilege to see 6345789 back in 1988 so that's special.

ALL of them are special! Will this do?! 8)

glenneaglesfan
12-30-2006, 06:55 AM
I like all of his released covers. You may not be surprised to learn that my favourite is Wild Mountain Thyme. I love the haunting Celtic melody - it evokes nostalgic memories of trips to the west coasts of Scotland and Ireland, but it's the way he sings it so tenderly that really gets me.

I haven't heard all of the unreleased ones, but of the ones I know I love I Hear You Knocking, Rocky Mountain Way and to hear him sing Show Biz Kids was quite a revelation.

sodascouts
12-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I definitely appreciate the beauty of his Wild Mountain Thyme as well - especially when he has the crowd singing with him. It's a great moment.

Freypower
12-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Show Biz Kids is a revelation alright. I appreciate his preference for more lightheated songs but I'd like him to try a cover version with a 'heavier' lyric. The first song that came into my head was Knockin' On Heaven's Door. He could do it, although it's so far removed from what people expect (or is it - think Tequila Sunrise).

Two Hearts is technically a cover but the least said about it the better. I've heard he's done Al Green's Love & Happiness in the past. Perhaps he should try Living For You. That's a good one.

sodascouts
12-30-2006, 09:57 PM
I would love to hear a cover of a more serious song, too. I can see his point about doing the fun stuff in concert - at the end of the night, we want something peppy and up - but he could put one on an album. What should he cover? Hmm, I'll have to think about that.

Brooke
12-31-2006, 04:42 PM
I can see his point about doing the fun stuff in concert - at the end of the night, we want something peppy and up -

Not to change the subject, but I wish the Eagles would do Take it Easy at the end of the concert instead of Desperado. As much as I love Desperado, I like to leave on an up tempo song. You'd think the Lone Arranger would think this, too. :?

Freypower
12-31-2006, 07:05 PM
They used to play TIE last, as Don used to play drums on Desperado, both of which I frankly preferred.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Okay now - be serious – Do you all really think I can pick a favorite Glenn anything? ;) I love the way he does all these songs. I do find it easier to pick a favorite released cover, and like most of you mine would be Wild Mountain Thyme. However, I’ve Been Born Again is a close runner up. I love it – as I’ve said before, it is cheesy – yet, satisfying. As far as the live covers, there is no way I can pick a favorite – the best I can do is narrow it down to a top five:

Slow Down
My Girl
Rocky Mountain Way
I’ll Come Runnin’ Back to You

As far as doing Desperado as the last song in a concert, I presume that is what the Lone Arranger prefers since he even closes his solo shows with it. It works okay for me, although I do prefer the Eagles version with Don on drums and Glenn on piano.

sodascouts
12-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah, it probably is Glenn's idea. But I see the point about ending on an up note - I'm fine either way.

Freypower
01-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Can I just mention the Tokyo 92 version of Rocky Mountain Way is stunning! He even sings the line 'says it doesn't matter' Joe style.

I would love to hear him do I'll Come Running Back To You.

He's done I Saw Her Standing There so perhaps he could try a Beatles ballad -um - Here, There And Everywhere perhaps? No? Too slow perhaps. I'll Be Back from A Hard Day's Night? :idea:

glenneaglesfan
01-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Those would be great covers for him. I'd like to hear him sing 'Wonderful Tonight'.

Kay, I have really grown to like 'I've Been Born Again'. When I heard it first I was a bit dubious about the opening dialogue (and the lyrics), which I agree are a bit cheesy, but the way he sings it is great. 'Sea Cruise' is also a real favourite now. I love his ballads, but I really appreciate his upbeat songs now as well! ( A bit like you, I find it hard not to like anything about this man!)

Freypower
01-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Another song we forgot is a cover is I Volunteer. Sigh.

I also love Born Again - it just works. I don't know why.

I said before I would like to see Glenn cover a song with a 'heavier' lyric and then I suggest more love songs. Because frankly, I don't know what non-love or 'good time' lyrics he likes. He mentions one of the greatest songs of all time, Eleanor Rigby, when he talks about Before The Ship Goes Down. He likes Paul Simon and James Taylor, I know that.

I have a current major fixation with Dire Straits, as may have become obvious elsewhere, and all I can think is 'why worry.... there should be laughter after pain'.... and that's a love song too. :?

sodascouts
01-03-2007, 01:03 AM
I heard "Old Time Rock'n'Roll" in Fuddrucker's today - I bet Glenn could have a good time doing that one.

Freypower
01-03-2007, 01:22 AM
He would - but it's a 'have a party' song. I was trying to think of a lyric with a deeper 'message' than either the 'have a good time' or 'relationship' lyrics he favours. By the way he talks about Eleanor Rigby before Love in the 21st Century, not Ship.

sodascouts
01-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I know it's not heavy. I could just see Glenn doing it with a big smile on his face. ;)

01-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah FP - I remember when I first read this thread thinking that I Volunteer was a cover. I was going to check it, but then I forgot. But since you confirmed it, I now change my vote because this is one of my very favorite Glenn solo songs. The way he sings that song turns me into a huge puddle of goo EVERY time I hear it.

sodascouts
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh, I ADORE "I Vounteer"! I didn't include it because I believe Glenn was the original recording artist, although he didn't write it (along the lines of The Heat is On). Or am I wrong about that? If we're including it, though, I too vote for it. It's magnficent.

Freypower
01-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Well, if we're getting picky he was the original artist for Two Hearts & Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed too, as far as I am aware.

glenneaglesfan
01-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Goodness, is I Volunteer a cover, or was it written for Glenn? I always thought he had a hand in the writing - haven't read the sleeve notes properly. Whatever, it's a beautiful song that suits his tenor voice, and always reduces me to a puddle of goo as well.

sodascouts
01-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Well, if we're getting picky he was the original artist for Two Hearts & Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed too, as far as I am aware.

That's why I didn't include Two Hearts in the initial list of covers. I debated about WBSIMB - because I wasn't sure if he were first or not, I stuck it in there. Shall we disqualify it? Or not bother worrying about it? lol

sodascouts
01-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Goodness, is I Volunteer a cover, or was it written for Glenn? I always thought he had a hand in the writing - haven't read the sleeve notes properly. Whatever, it's a beautiful song that suits his tenor voice, and always reduces me to a puddle of goo as well.

It was written by Jack Tempchin and B. Bodine, so I'd imagine it was probably brought to him first. Just a guess, though.

01-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Not that it really matters, but I'd guess that I Volunteer is technically not a cover either. I don't recall ever hearing it by anyone other than Glenn. I'd say the odds are pretty high that he was the first to record it. I'm not sure about WBSIMB either.

Glennsallnighter
11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
We can add a few more to this list after Fallsview!

Route 66

The Shadow of Your Smile

Caroline No

The Look of Love

I must say I particularly loved him covering 'the Shadow of Your Smile' and It took about 3 days after I returned for 'I Hear You KNockin' to leave my head!

Freypower
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
The problem is it's so hard to remember all the details. I thought he did a magnificent job on each song.

I was wondering why he decided on Route 66. Novelty value? He thought he needed at least one song which still made him sound like a rock singer? He did a good job and it was a crowd pleaser (as I can personally attest.... :lightsaber: - this is the closest I can get to the Point moment) but it didn't seem to fit in with the other songs that well. We still don't know what the other tracks will be, of course. I'm very excited about this. I have to try so hard not to write too much about it before it is released.

As to other cover songs not yet mentioned in this topic: Werewolves Of London. It ROCKS.

Glennsallnighter
11-28-2011, 06:18 PM
The problem is it's so hard to remember all the details. I thought he did a magnificent job on each song.

I was wondering why he decided on Route 66. Novelty value? He thought he needed at least one song which still made him sound like a rock singer? He did a good job and it was a crowd pleaser (as I can personally attest.... :lightsaber: - this is the closest I can get to the Point moment) but it didn't seem to fit in with the other songs that well. We still don't know what the other tracks will be, of course. I'm very excited about this. I have to try so hard not to write too much about it before it is released.

As to other cover songs not yet mentioned in this topic: Werewolves Of London. It ROCKS.

He did indeed. he really had the audience in his hand while he sang them. I guess he may have chosen the faster rocker song to get the audience into a kind of 'positive mental state' - get them on his side kinda? You know, like when you start a new topic in teaching you try to relate it to something people are familiar with before you branch out. Maybe he felt he's introduce something that was known well before moving on. I suppose too he wanted to showcase that he has all kinds of music on the new CD, not just slower stuff. I dunno! JMHO.

sodascouts
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
I have to say, when I think "Route 66" I don't think "rock." I mean, it was written in the freaking forties! However, the faster songs do usually play better live and it is more recognizeable than the other covers he did (at least to me) with the exception of "Caroline No."

His vocal on "The Shadow of Your Smile" was so romantic! I melted! I don't know if the male members of the audience were as into it, but he sounded terrific!

WalshFan88
11-28-2011, 09:04 PM
I'd have to say "Some Kind Of Wonderful" and "Werewolves Of London".

Windeagle
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I'll admit I'm not very familiar with Glenn's solo covers, but yes, "Werewolves of London" was awesome. I saw it on a YouTube clip in a duet with Deacon and was blown away.

Glennsallnighter
11-29-2011, 10:17 AM
I have to say, when I think "Route 66" I don't think "rock." I mean, it was written in the freaking forties! However, the faster songs do usually play better live and it is more recognizeable than the other covers he did (at least to me) with the exception of "Caroline No."

His vocal on "The Shadow of Your Smile" was so romantic! I melted! I don't know if the male members of the audience were as into it, but he sounded terrific!

Yes! 'The Shadow Of Your Smile' really was stunning. I just can't wait to hear it on the album. All the Fallsview memories will come flooding back! I'm sure of it!

I also loved his version of 'I Hear You Knocking'

GlennLover
11-29-2011, 10:45 AM
I love his version of "I Hear You Knockin'" too! I play the YouTube clip of 'The Look of Love' over & over. I can't hear it enough! Love it too! It is probably the most familiar to me of the 4 songs from the new album that he sang.

His version of "Sea Cruise" is a particular favorite of mine.

sodascouts
11-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Of course, I also love "I'll Come Running Back to You"!

GlennLover
11-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Of course, I also love "I'll Come Running Back to You"!

Me too! The NF concerts were the 1st time I had heard the song sung by anyone. It was beautiful!

11-29-2011, 11:03 AM
I need to go back and reread this thread. Don't have time right now, but I'm sure I may have something new to say! :shock: :grin:

11-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Okay - I've had a chance to think about this so now I have something to say! :lol:

My original list in this thread back in 2006 was this ...

Slow Down
My Girl
Rocky Mountain Way
I’ll Come Runnin’ Back to You

Of course, ILTWAWD is no longer a cover. I'll stand by those, but to that list I can now add ...

Wild Mountain Thyme
Werewolves of London
The Shadow of Your Smile
Some Kind of Wonderful
Jet Airliner
Reelin' in the Years

BTW - that Werewolves of London video on YouTube was probably the one that Soda posted. Wow - That was such a fun show!!!

sodascouts
11-30-2011, 01:22 AM
You know, it's funny after our recent discussion, but "Route 66" is actually my least favorite of the covers he performed in Niagara Falls despite the fact that it was the only one I recognized besides "Caroline No."

I think my favorite of the new covers was "The Shadow of Your Smile" - such an impassioned vocal! :inlove:

Freypower
11-30-2011, 01:40 AM
It was my least favourite too if I had to pick. The Shadow Of Your Smile was also my favourite.

I wasn't lucky enough to hear those versions of Jet Airliner & Reelin' In The Years. I would have loved to have heard him sing the latter song because the lyrics are so acerbic. He did a good version of Show Biz Kids.

Henley Honey
11-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Of the Niagara Falls songs, I'd have to pick Caroline No as my favorite overall. I loved the fact that it was just him and the microphone and he worked it!

For the fun factor, I'd have to pick the jazzy, upbeat Route 66 -- jitterbug and all! Love the Louis Armstrong-like growls and crisp piano sound.

Freypower
11-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Of the Niagara Falls songs, I'd have to pick Caroline No as my favorite overall. I loved the fact that it was just him and the microphone and he worked it!

For the fun factor, I'd have to pick the jazzy, upbeat Route 66 -- jitterbug and all! Love the Louis Armstrong-like growls and crisp piano sound.

They were all just him & the microphone, though, except for On The Way Home, but by the time he got to Caroline No on the second night he did start gripping the stand, which he never gets to do when he is obstructed by a guitar. It was nice to watch. :love:

sodascouts
11-30-2011, 11:08 PM
The way he sang "You break my heart...." ::SIGH::

12-01-2011, 01:16 AM
I know I'm in a minority here, but Caroline No doesn't do much for me. I'm just not particularly jazzed by any version I've ever heard. :shrug: I like some of the Beach Boys hit songs, but I've never been a huge fan. They are one of those bands that when I listen to an album all the songs start to sound alike after a while. I have their greatest hits CD which has around 30 songs on it, and I have a hard time listening to it from start to finish.

Freypower
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I know I'm in a minority here, but Caroline No doesn't do much for me. I'm just not particularly jazzed by any version I've ever heard. :shrug: I like some of the Beach Boys hit songs, but I've never been a huge fan. They are one of those bands that when I listen to an album all the songs start to sound alike after a while. I have their greatest hits CD which has around 30 songs on it, and I have a hard time listening to it from start to finish.

I am not the greatest Beach Boys fan either. My favourites are Good Vibrations & Sloop John B; I have never understood why so many critics insist that Pet Sounds (which includes Caroline No & the above mentioned Sloop John B, as well as God Only Knows & Wouldn't It Be Nice) is 'the greatest album ever made'. It just isn't. However I thought what Glenn did with Caroline No was extraordinary.

GlennLover
12-02-2011, 02:14 AM
I know I'm in a minority here, but Caroline No doesn't do much for me. I'm just not particularly jazzed by any version I've ever heard. :shrug:

I agree with you, Dreamer. I'm not that keen on it either. But, FP, I agree with you that
I thought what Glenn did with Caroline No was extraordinary.

WalshFan88
01-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Jet Airliner
Reelin' in the Years

Wait, what?! He covered those?! I love those songs! Any video or audio of him doing either or both of those songs? I'm a big Steely Dan fan and I love RITY and Jet Airliner rocks too.

I can think of several I'd like to hear him sing/play. Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty, Honky Tonk Women by the Stones, Keep Your Hands To Yourself by the Georgia Satellites, Sunspot Baby by Bob Seger, Takin' Care Of Business by BTO, etc.

01-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Austin - Glenn covered those songs at the House of Blues Haiti Benefit in February 2010 that he did for his son, Deacon's, school production company. I think Deacon actually sang lead on Reelin' In the Years with Glenn backing him up. I'm reposting the awesome setlist that I posted in the thread for the show, but I'm not aware of any video/audio for those songs. Soda had some video for a few songs such as Werewolves of London that you can download from GFO or maybe even still find on You Tube.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/HOBSetlist.jpg

Freypower
01-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Wait, what?! He covered those?! I love those songs! Any video or audio of him doing either or both of those songs? I'm a big Steely Dan fan and I love RITY and Jet Airliner rocks too.

I can think of several I'd like to hear him sing/play. Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty, Honky Tonk Women by the Stones, Keep Your Hands To Yourself by the Georgia Satellites, Sunspot Baby by Bob Seger, Takin' Care Of Business by BTO, etc.

Sunspot Baby & Takin' Care Of Business, Austin?! Those are interesting choices! As for Honky Tonk Women, which is one of my Top 20 favourite songs, the mind absolutey boggles. I am still recovering from Werewolves Of London. I think the new album will be mainly ballads, though, apart from Route 66.

01-01-2012, 06:49 PM
I think the new album will be mainly ballads, though, apart from Route 66.

Gotta disagree with you here, FP. Glenn has always been one to vary the style and tempo of songs on both Eagles and solo albums. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see, but just because he may be doing a "standards" album doesn't necessarily mean he won't include some uptempo standards.

Freypower
01-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Well, yes. I hope I spoke too soon. The truth is I don't have a clue what songs are likely to be included apart from the ones we saw & the title track, and that's making the anticipation even more intriguing.

GlennLover
01-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Gotta disagree with you here, FP. Glenn has always been one to vary the style and tempo of songs on both Eagles and solo albums. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see, but just because he may be doing a "standards" album doesn't necessarily mean he won't include some uptempo standards.

I tend to agree with you there, Dreamer. I hope you're right! Not that I don't love Glenn singing ballads. He's so versatile I want to hear some of both.

GlennLover
01-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Well, yes. I hope I spoke too soon. The truth is I don't have a clue what songs are likely to be included apart from the ones we saw & the title track, and that's making the anticipation even more intriguing.

Those are my thoughts too, FP! Even though I would love to know what the other songs are, I really don't want to know until I hear the album.

WalshFan88
01-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Sunspot Baby & Takin' Care Of Business, Austin?! Those are interesting choices! As for Honky Tonk Women, which is one of my Top 20 favourite songs, the mind absolutey boggles. I am still recovering from Werewolves Of London. I think the new album will be mainly ballads, though, apart from Route 66.

I think Glenn sounds great on what I call shuffle songs. Sunspot Baby and Takin' Care of Business and Keep Your Hands To Yourself are in the same kind of vain as Some Kind Of Wonderful and I Hear You Knockin'. Even most versions of Route 66 are done as shuffles. As far as Honky Tonk Women, I think he could redo it in more of a country voice different than Jagger's. You wouldnt believe how many country bands cover that and sing it with a country voice.

I love his Werewolves of London cover. My fav by far.

Freypower
01-02-2012, 01:38 AM
I think Glenn sounds great on what I call shuffle songs. Sunspot Baby and Takin' Care of Business and Keep Your Hands To Yourself are in the same kind of vain as Some Kind Of Wonderful and I Hear You Knockin'. Even most versions of Route 66 are done as shuffles. As far as Honky Tonk Women, I think he could redo it in more of a country voice different than Jagger's. You wouldnt believe how many country bands cover that and sing it with a country voice.

I love his Werewolves of London cover. My fav by far.

Which would be like the Stones' own alternative version of it, Country Honk from Let It Bleed, which just doesn't have the swagger & kick that Honky Tonk Women itself has.

Shadowland07
01-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I was just watching the Eagles playing "In the City" on YouTube from HFO and with the lil "Daytripper" nod at the end I started wondering...and I could easily see Glenn singing that song.

Freypower
01-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Well, he's done I Saw Her Standing There. He could easily do Day Tripper or even Ticket To Ride.