PDA

View Full Version : Haitian Earthquake

Ive always been a dreamer
01-16-2010, 05:12 PM
I have been meaning to start a thread about this for the last several days. Fortunately, there are only a few tragedies on this planet that reach the magnitude of this one. The images on television are just gut-wrenching with hundreds of thousands of people lost. The people of Haiti already lived in a desperate situation before the earthquake, so you wonder how much worse it can get for them. But even though it make take years to rebuild, this will be a true test of the human spirit. My hope is that with the help of people throughout the world, the Haitian people will come out of this stronger and better than before.

Stars
01-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Dreamer, this is a heartbreaking situation. I hope and pray that the survivors get the help they need and that they do come out of it stronger and with an eye toward a brighter future. There are many legitimate organizations that are accepting donations now, and you can go to the Better Business Bureau to research them, if you would like to help out.
My thoughts and prayers continue to be with the people of Haiti.

sodascouts
01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
What a horrible tragedy. I found an easy way to give some money to an established charity if you're so inclined: you can give $10 to the American Red Cross (http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277) by texting “Haiti” to 90999.

Wildthyme
01-17-2010, 07:35 AM
I have friends (sisters) who have adopted six children from Haiti between them. One of them is in the middle of adopting two more. Fortunately, Tonya was just in Haiti a few weeks ago and moved the two of them out of the orphanage they were in in Port Au Prince and into one further away in the mountains that apparently didn't suffer major damage during the earthquake. For years Tonya and Nicole have been trying to persuade me to adopt from there myself but as much as I have always wanted to be a mother its just not the right choice for me at this point in my life.

Because of my friends and their kids I have learned much about Haiti and what life there was like for them and this earthquake and its aftermath has really struck a deep chord in me. Day to day existence in Haiti was already almost tragic and I can not imagine how much worse it has grown in the last few days. This is a country with a barely functional government steeped in corruption and this is going to mean a long term commitment from all these nations that are offering help. Recovery will be long and slow and I do pray that ultimately a better future for Haiti can be realized out of this tragedy.

Brooke
01-17-2010, 08:49 PM
What a heartbreaking calamity. My heart goes out to all these people and I pray for help for them post haste.

I did the text to the Red Cross, too, and it was a very easy way to give.

Glennsallnighter
01-20-2010, 05:30 AM
This seems to be one of the worst earthquakes in living memory, many relief workers saying it is a worse natural disaster than the Asian tsunami 5 years ago as the area it covered is so concentrated. My heart goes out to the survivors who are finding life so difficult and who have lost loved ones and who are injured themselves.

We are organising some relief efforts over here in order to raise money. We have a few NGO's which are making daily appeals. I've organised a 'no uniform day' in the school for Friday where the students pay to wear their own clothes in for the day.

I hope the powers that be can get the aid out where it is so desperately needed ASAP.

MikeA
01-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Haiti hit again this morning (Wed Jan 20).

New 6.1-quake hits Haiti, people flee into streets (AP) (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100120/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_haiti_earthquake) - 20 minutes ago
AP - A 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck Haiti on Wednesday morning, shaking buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets only eight days after the country's capital was

AzEaglesFan
01-23-2010, 03:05 AM
Got a Google alert that Joe Walsh and Ringo Starr were part of the celebrity phone bank during the "Hope for Haiti" broadcast. I watched a little of it but only saw Taylor Swift and Reese Witherspoon. Did anyone see Joe or Ringo?

Wildthyme
01-23-2010, 03:52 AM
My friend Tonya who is adopting two more children from Haiti (she already has four) was expecting it to be another two years before they came home. She got word today that they will be arriving in the US in the next two weeks! She will be heading to Miami to pick them up along with a third child who is coming here as a foster child to stay with my other friend Nicole until a family can be found for her (she is a niece to one of the other children in the family). Its amazing how the bureaucratic wheels turn faster in the wake of a monumental natural disaster like Haiti.

sodascouts
01-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Got a Google alert that Joe Walsh and Ringo Starr were part of the celebrity phone bank during the "Hope for Haiti" broadcast. I watched a little of it but only saw Taylor Swift and Reese Witherspoon. Did anyone see Joe or Ringo?

No, I didn't see him. Very cool that he participated!

sodascouts
01-23-2010, 12:16 PM
They've got an overview of the phone bank here for the first couple of seconds before cutting to Reese Witherspoon - can anyone spot a certain blond guitarist in the crowd? I couldn't, but it's hard to tell. I did see Ringo in another clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQ9sqd-Hjs