PDA

View Full Version : The World's Greatest Living Guitarist

fintanbk
01-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi Guys

Fintan here from dbTwang, just thought you might like to know that Joe is listed in a World’s Greatest Living Guitarist poll we are running on our blog, where you can vote for your top three guitarists. At the moment Joe Bonamassa is in the lead.

http://blog.dbtwang.com/worlds-greatest-living-guitarist-poll-opens/

Bests
--
Fintan

MikeA
01-21-2010, 09:01 AM
I think yesterday was the first time I'd heard of Joe Bonamassa. It was on a similar topic that was started on a Recording Forum I'm on. He got several mentions on that forum and then to see him mentioned here today with a reference to another forum....coincidence?

He's a Blues guitarist whose influences were Brit...so he's sort of a back door Blues player like Walsh who learned their licks from the likes of Beck, Clapton and Page rather than Muddy Waters, BB King and Buddy Guy on this side of the pond.

As for me picking a greatest Living stringman, I'd have to give serious consideration to Jeff Beck, but there are a slew of them that are right up there on top!

sodascouts
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the link, Fintan, and welcome!

Freypower
01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
I think yesterday was the first time I'd heard of Joe Bonamassa. It was on a similar topic that was started on a Recording Forum I'm on. He got several mentions on that forum and then to see him mentioned here today with a reference to another forum....coincidence?

He's a Blues guitarist whose influences were Brit...so he's sort of a back door Blues player like Walsh who learned their licks from the likes of Beck, Clapton and Page rather than Muddy Waters, BB King and Buddy Guy on this side of the pond.

As for me picking a greatest Living stringman, I'd have to give serious consideration to Jeff Beck, but there are a slew of them that are right up there on top!

How strange that this has come up, because Joe Bonamassa has just formed a band with Jason Bonham and my husband's hero Glenn Hughes, called Black Country:

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=10126_Bonham,_Bonamassa,_Hughes_and_ Sherinian_Become_Black_Country

and I see from that story that he's coming here shortly! I had never heard of him.

My own favourite guitarist apart from Joe is the great Jimmy Page but I can't claim any musical knowledge.

TimothyBFan
01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Worlds Greatest Living Guitarist....hmmm :headscratch: whoever would I pick? ;-)

Stupid question? Who Is Joe Bonamassa? And why, if he's so great, haven't I ever heard of him before? If he's leading this pole, where have I been?

fintanbk
01-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes we are certainly surprised by the massive support Joe Bonamassa has got in the poll, as we've only been aware of his work for a couple of years. But I guess there are few enough guitarists doing what he is doing at present that he has a sort of underground word of mouth rep that guitar-o-philes relish hearing about and checking out.

If you haven't had the pleasure yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn09Xn9JF5s

He has a really active fan forum community which picked up on the poll, which is why I thought I'd spread the word about the poll across some of the forums that the other guitarists in the poll are associated with, to try to level the playing field so to speak. (Although maybe posting the above video isn't going to help!).

--
Fintan

TimothyBFan
01-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Are you kidding me? He sings the frickin' Blues!! How did I miss him? OMG!!! I literally have chills right now after watching that! Have just pulled him up on YouTube and am checking out some more!! I'm a new fan for sure! Amazing!!

Mike, Maleah, Julie--have you guys checked him out? Wait till you do!!

Thanks Fintan!

As far as this poll--still have to stick with Mr Page for me (sorry-after 30+ years, I won't ever find another guitarist I love more I'm sure). But I do see why Joe's taking the world by storm.

MikeA
01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Being totally honest here: I do think this guy is good...REALLY good. And he plays the kind of music I really like too! But giving honors for Best Living Guitarist? I just can't do that.

I think there are others in the mix who have to take higher marks than Bonamassa. He sounds a lot like Johnny Lang, like Gary Moore and a little like SRV (RIP).

I have to think of Buddy Guy, of Jeff Beck, yes and Page among others. Really not trying to throw cold gravey on Bonamassa. I just don't think that he overshadows the others mentioned.

Beck for instance, doesn't play that genre of Blues...but as a guitarist, it is so hard to separate him from his instrument! It is a complete extension of Jeff both in expression and in technical method.

But with all that said, I am now a FAN of Joe Bonamassa. He is among the best at that flavor of Blues! Love Him!

Honestly, I was more impressed with the following: I mean DAY-EM! :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an7Eczu53cg&NR=1

ticky
01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
He really is amazing. My friend Marc Leon is a guitarist and told me about him. I dunno about "worlds greatest" but he's among the top 5 I'd say

And Hi and welcome FinTan :)

TimothyBFan
01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Exactly Mike!!! You said what I wanted to. I truly am glad he was brought to my attention. He definitely reminds me of Jonny and you know how much I love him!

Freypower
01-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Well, I would say I prefer him to my husband's favourites Vai & Satriani, both of whom elevate technique over feeling to the point of alienation. I can see the mix with Glenn Hughes working. They both seem to have the same histrionic vocal style.