PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Brooke
12-29-2006, 03:27 PM
The Eagles are suing an insurance company for using Desperado in a commercial!

http://www.theoctopus959.com/Article.asp?id=326581&spid=

Z
12-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Somehow I can't imagine Irving "misunderstanding" this deal.

sodascouts
12-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah, weird. Certainly this company knew it would have to shell out major "won" to use any Eagles song! lol

Ive always been a dreamer
12-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah - The guys aren't known for lending their songs out for many commercials, so I would have thought they would be extremely thorough in making any kind of deal like this.

DonFan
01-16-2007, 07:33 PM
More Eagles In The News (form my daily Google Alert on Don Henley):

Flashback: Hotel California hits No1 (http://www.therockradio.com/2007/01/flashback-hotel-california-hits-no1.html)

glenneaglesfan
01-16-2007, 08:02 PM
It was certainly one of the influential albums of my formative years, and has stood the test of time. Thanks for posting that, DF!

Freypower
01-16-2007, 08:41 PM
I always tell myself it wasn't the soundtrack to my life but I guess it was. I was a teenager who knew nothing about the United States or its music and I had no idea that such songs could be written (back then I didn't really know Bob Dylan either).

I guess one of the reasons the HC album appealed to me was that it was so literary - I was reading so many books back then, both for school and for pleasure - and I was fascinated by the imagery in the songs. I thought lines like 'the autumn leaves have got you thinking/about the first time that you fell' and 'they will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along' were just astounding.

Then there was the Joe factor. What a difference he made - he seemed to fit right into the band's groove. Hearing him tearing up the title track and LITFL was wonderful. But... what about the other guitarists? VOL and TALA - outstanding performances from Felder and Mr Frey. Anda pouding rhythm section (I liked something I read a while back about Don's 'vicious cymbals' in the title track).

As for the vocals I could go on all day, except that I realised even then that NKIT was going to be very special to me for the rest of my life. I defy anyone even now to hear 'I don't wanna hear it ah-ooh' and not be transported.

01-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I remember very well how the songs were all over the airwaves in 1977. The other thing I remember so well is all the controversy over the lyrics in Hotel California and LITF. It's really funny looking back on it now. I remember the accusations about the band being 'devil worshipers' started when OOTN was released, and by the time their critics finished analyzing HC, you would have thought the band was 'the devil himself.' Well, I think it's safe to say the band outlasted their critics. :wink:

DonFan
07-08-2007, 11:41 PM
It's been awhile since I posted in this thread, but I was watching our local NBC newscast tonight and they were doing a profile on The University of Alabama's new head coach NIck Saban. The interviewer asked Saban what he thought about his new coaching job and the turn his life has taken, and Saban ahd this reply:

"There is an Eagles song that pretty much sums up my life---or maybe it is just a Joe Walsh song---I can't tell, because sometimes I have a problem following the dynamics of the Eagles--but it is called Life's Been Good to Me So Far. That is exactly the way I feel."

Then they ended the spot showing him on the field with his football players with Life's Been Good playing in the background.

I don't think any of us are exactly sure of the dynamics of the Eagles :wink: ---but now, I am more of an ALabama fan then ever!

ROLL TIDE!

07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Well DF, being a Miami Dolphin fan, I am not exactly fond of Nick Saban. However, I'll have to say, at least he's not totally clueless. :D

DonFan
07-11-2007, 06:03 PM
From my Google alert, a portion of someone's blog about last weekend's Live Earth concert:
---------------------------------------

The real test will be if any viewer actually take any action because of these concerts. Anyone who's been in charge of recruiting people for any kind of activity knows that it is hard to spur anyone to action. And let's face it - the current generation of rock fans are more apathetic than previous generations. This isn't the 60s, and this wasn't Woodstock. If you go to an Eagles concert (who didn't perform at Live Earth), chances are Don Henley would make some plea to get involved in some kind of political or social action - and chances are many fans would get involved. But subtract a few decades to the fan base and the activism just isn't there. You can't tell me Kelly Clarkson, Ludacris, and The Smashing Pumpkins have a fan base as political or socially active as Don Henley's.

sodascouts
07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Obviously this guy counts himself among the fans he's praising. ;)

07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
If you go to an Eagles concert (who didn't perform at Live Earth), chances are Don Henley would make some plea to get involved in some kind of political or social action -

I'm not really sure I really agree with this part, but I do agree with the overall point this person was trying to make.

sodascouts
07-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I found this funny joke item about the Eagles adding a new member, Adolf Hitler. I realized we don't really have a place to put something like that, so I thought I'd make a thread for little Eagles mentions we find that aren't really interviews or major stories, but are still worth a look!

I, at least, found this funny!

"Eagles Add New Member" (http://futility.typepad.com/futility/2008/07/eagles-add-new-member.html)

DonFan
07-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I read this earlier today online too--it was a hoot. :lol:

Freypower
07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I could make so many comments and change around so many lyrics. I won't, of course, but I found it funny too. :twisted:

Mrs Frey
07-02-2008, 02:40 AM
:shock: Good grief - that's all I have to say! :laugh:

Glennsallnighter
07-02-2008, 04:35 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, its well we can laugh at it. Very few of us would know first hand the horrors of WW2. My parents lived through it, but Ireland being 'officially' neutral meant that they only had to bear trade restrictions rather than the fear that our neighbouring countries must have felt. Rant over!

TimothyBFan
07-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Who comes up with these things-and more importantly -WHY? :shrug:

rcknalwys
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't know who thinks up this kind of stuff, but I find it kind of offensive. The Eagles are THE American band and to associate them with such an evil man albeit in fun, is just wrong IMHO. And who the heck is Don Meisner? My father served in that war and believe me, it was anything but funny. To quote GAN....rant over.

JoeFan
07-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Hitler is mocked all the time, this is no more offensive to me than something like the use of 'Springtime for Hitler' in The Producers. It makes no difference to me that the method of mockery this time is placing Hitler with the Eagles, though they are my favourite band.

I think it is healthy to laugh at Hitler. I think in life nothing would have enraged him more than mockery.

DonFan
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I think it is healthy to laugh at Hitler. I think in life nothing would have enraged him more than mockery.

Well put, JoeFan.

Mrs Frey
07-03-2008, 02:44 AM
And who the heck is Don Meisner?

:rofl:

I was thinking the same thing, Becky!

07-03-2008, 10:50 AM

Well put, JoeFan.

I totally agree - very well said, JF. I also totally agree that the horrors Hitler caused were anything but funny. It would be appalling to see him deified. However, I, personally, find it rather cathartic to see him jokingly ridiculed and treated as a sham and laughingstock.

DonFan
07-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Here is another Eagles mention, from the Moncton newspaper, dated 7-5-08:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Last Saturday, [Times & Transcript editor Alan Cochrane] was downtown checking out the bikes when he spotted a man matching the height, hair colour, facial features and dour expression of the one and only Henley. He was dressed in a brown sport coat, jeans and brown leather boots, walking along Main Street looking over all the cool motorcycles. Alan gave chase, but the mystery man vanished into the crowd, not to be seen again."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Don, a leather-clad motorcyclist? Very interesting. 8)
And seriously, do they always have to say his "dour expression"? He has such a nice smile--he just needs to use it more!

sodascouts
07-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Interesting! But it doesn't seem very likely he would be up at Moncton right now, despite the show in August. Who knows, though? It's certainly an intriguing idea. ;)

Brooke
07-06-2008, 10:33 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------

Don, a leather-clad motorcyclist? Very interesting. 8)

Agreed! Too funny! :D

07-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Hmmm - "brown sport coat, jeans and brown leather boots" - sure sounds rather Henley-like to me! :wink:

Freypower
07-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Can I say that I've never thought of Don as someone who would ride a motorbike. If he does, this is the first I've heard of it.

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Never thought that, but he I think he lookes sexy in those motorcycle clothes :inlove:
Don give me a ride! :drool:

Brooke
07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Can I say that I've never thought of Don as someone who would ride a motorbike. If he does, this is the first I've heard of it.

At first I thought that, too, but wasn't one of his best friends killed on a motorcycle right before his eyes back in his early days as a musician?

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 10:06 AM

At first I thought that, too, but wasn't one of his best friends killed on a motorcycle right before his eyes back in his early days as a musician?

That could be..actually I don't know.

sodascouts
07-07-2008, 10:27 AM

Yes, that was Jerry Surratt, with whom Don founded his first group called The Four Speeds. It happened in 1970, after the band had morphed into Felicity but before they were Shiloh.

I didn't realize it had happened right before Don's eyes, though. How horrible.

What a tragic event. Surratt must have been very young.

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 10:29 AM

Yes, that was Jerry Surratt, with whom Don founded his first group called The Four Speeds. It happened in 1969, after the band had morphed into Felicity but before they were Shiloh.

I didn't realize it had happened right before his eyes, though. What a tragic event.

OMG that's terrible! :(

Brooke
07-07-2008, 10:34 AM
If I remember right, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the friends were at a town hangout and Jerry rode off right into the path of an oncoming vehicle and was killed instantly. I will have to do some research, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Now you're saying that, I've read something like that indeed.
It's terrible to see that right before your eyes!

07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Brooke - that is also my recollection. I can't remember where I read it, but it was probably in an article in the DHO archives. I remember thinking when I read it what a horrible impact that must have made on Don.

DonFan
07-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Here is the paragraph about that incident from the Rolling Stone article that Mrs H just posted:

"Back in Linden, [Shiloh] got together one afternoon at a little church they had rented as a rehearsal hall. Things got loose and the musicians started riding trail bikes around the parking lot. [...] A small blond boy named Jerry Dale Surratt, a champion trumpet player who'd given it up for rock & roll, rode his motorcycle across the road, straight into the path of an oncoming car. With his family and band watching, he was crushed to death on its hood."

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks DF! I didn't read that article very good.

07-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks DF for that. I knew I had read it somewhere! We can always count on one of our Border buddies to refresh our memory when necessary. :D

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah indeed :D

rcknalwys
07-07-2008, 11:28 AM
If I remember correctly, the accident is also detailed in To The Limit. What an awful experience for everyone.

Brooke
07-07-2008, 03:20 PM
If I remember correctly, the accident is also detailed in To The Limit. What an awful experience for everyone.

That's where I read it, rckn.

Yes. Terrible.

DonFan
07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Here's a little blurb about Hotel California from one of my Google Alerts today:
----------------

In 1977, the song "Hotel California" was released as a single, and was at the top of Billboard's Hot 100 for one week in May of that year.

Accolades the song has received include being listed by Rolling Stone as the 48th greatest song of all time and one of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's list of 500 Songs which Shaped Rock'n'Roll. Its guitar solo is listed by Guitar Magazine as the 8th greatest guitar solo of all-time.

---------------------------
Hard to believe that it only topped the Hot 100 list for ONE WEEK, isn't it? :shock: Today it is revered as a rock masterpiece, a classic rock staple that is played over & over again, 365 days a year, on rock stations everywhere.

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Oh yeh indeed :shock: The should be ashamed!

07-07-2008, 09:09 PM
It is rather hard to believe that the song was only No. 1 for one week. I wonder if maybe it was because the single didn't sell that well? Everyone bought the album instead of the single.

Brooke
07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
1 week?! That is unbelievable!

Mrs Frey
07-08-2008, 02:48 AM
It is rather hard to believe that the song was only No. 1 for one week. I wonder if maybe it was because the single didn't sell that well? Everyone bought the album instead of the single.

You have a point here, Dreamer. That reminds me of Elvis Presley's version of "Blue Suede Shoes". It's on record that even though Elvis' version is far better known than the original by its composer, Carl Perkins, the latter's version actually went to no. 2 on the charts - a feat that Elvis' didn't achieve. However, Elvis' version was the opening track of his debut album, "Elvis Presley", in 1956, and the album was a smash hit and a million seller. It can be deduced that most people bought the album rather than the single, so therefore the single didn't do as well. It was probably a similar scenario with "Hotel California".

Thanks for the snippet, DF!

sodascouts
07-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Here's a nice article!

"Eagles Put Stardom Aside, Focus on Music" (http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080717/GJENTERTAINMENT_01/767067473/-1/rss3&source=RSS)

DonFan
07-17-2008, 10:25 PM
That was a great article. Thanks for finding it!

TimothyBFan
07-18-2008, 07:10 AM
A great read--Thanks!!

Freypower
07-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Great insights, as ever.

Nobody Else In The World But You came up in my Don's 61st Birthday playlist yesterday and it still seems as relevant as ever.

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Yes, there is a GH version for PS3, PS2, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii. You don't need to have any of the previous versions to play it. Especially with GH4 as it will be more like Rock Band in having a drumset along with the guitar. You also will be able to create your own songs to play for it. I saw a video on youtube last night where someone had created Boys of Summer and was playing it. It was awesome!

By the way, for those of you who haven't played it....it's easy to learn because there are 4 levels that you can play at: easy, medium, hard, or expert. There is also a practice mode where you can slow it waaaaay down to learn all the parts.

Only got to see this now Maleah! Thanks for the information. Looks like I know what to ask Santa for next Christmas :wink:

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Brilliant read Soda! Its also great to see people praising The Eagles, Don, Joe and by implication the others. So many critics felt the need to give crappy reviews. But the music is speaking for itself.

glenneaglesfan
07-20-2008, 06:50 AM
That was a lovely interview to read. It's touching to read how much Don's children mean to him. Thanks, Soda!

Glennsallnighter
07-20-2008, 04:51 PM
GA - The box set is definitely something all hardcore fans should add to their collection, IMO. I love mine with the exact replicas of the original albums. I had all the old Eagles albums on vinyl, but the only ones I had bought on CD were the two greatest hits and the Very Best of albums. I even cheat and keep my HFO and LROOE cardboard cover CDs in my box set case. :wink:

Oh its definitely up there Dreamer! They don't have any on the official site but Amazon have a few new ones.

Wedding Anniversary next month :wink:

Think I'll get Timtot to drop him a hint or 2!! :D

tbs fanatic
07-21-2008, 01:26 PM
That was a super interview, great find.

Brooke
07-21-2008, 04:45 PM
"It is not such a charmed life for Henley that he will allow himself to ignore what he believes, what he knows are the realities of the time, including: our lack of respect for one another and for our environment, corporate greed and power grabs, and the struggles for artists as they fight to retain ownership of their own creations."

Great article!

This part reminded me of the recent takeover of Anheuser-Busch by the Belgian company InBev. Everyone is sad about it, the family and board of directors didn't want to sell, but of course the shareholders needed all that money! I find it sad that an American family company is no more! :x

DonFan
11-15-2008, 11:38 AM
5 reasons why concert fans can't get enough of the Eagles (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-eagles_1115gd.ART0.State.Edition1.4a46be9.html)
Saturday, November 15, 2008

By MARIO TARRADELL Music Critic mtarradell@dallasnews.com (mtarradell@dallasnews.com)

Prettymaid
11-15-2008, 04:05 PM
The must-see group: Like the Beatles, if they were still together, the Eagles is one of those bands deemed important enough to see at least once before you die or before they never tour again, whichever comes first.

I have actually posted this sentment on here before!

Freypower
11-15-2008, 07:06 PM
That paragraph is absolutely correct. When I booked to see them in 1994 (which turned out to be 1995) my mother said 'this is the one, isn't it? The most important, the one you've really been waiting for'. By then I'd seen most of my other heroes, including McCartney, the Stones, Dylan, Young and Morrison. I had seen Glenn and Joe separately but when I finally saw the band there was nothing to touch it.

TimothyBFan
11-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Here's a good interview with Don along with a small article about Tuesday's upcoming show in Cincinnati. According to Don, they still have to get out west and to Europe and Australia. So all of you in those areas hang in there, sounds like they will get there sooner or later!!!!

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081116/ENT03/811160328

By Bill Thompson • bthompson@enquirer.com • November 16, 2008

sodascouts
11-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Interesting read! Was it just me, or did he seem a little pissy at the end?

Wildthyme
11-16-2008, 04:07 PM
I like the part about touring the western USA... YAY!!!

ticky
11-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Henley: There are no plans, at this juncture, for another Eagles album. There are only plans for touring - lots of touring. The "Long Road Out of Eden Tour" still has a large portion of the world to cover. We still have to do the southern and western parts of the U.S., plus Europe, Asia and Australia.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! *happy happy ruprecht dance* AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

brb gotta change and get a new wooden spoon

GlennLover
11-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Was it just me, or did he seem a little pissy at the end?[

Yes, I think just a little, Soda. :eyebrow:

Troubadour
11-17-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm joining you in the squealing, Rhonda! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :partytime:

DonFan
11-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Interesting read! Was it just me, or did he seem a little pissy at the end?

That was a good read, and yes, he did seem to get a little PO'd at the end. And I disagree with what he said, because I know I have read a quote from him when he was doing press for Inside Job that said,'' Getting married and having children has had a profound affect on me, which is reflected in my music."

Prettymaid
11-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Sorry if I offend any Don fans, but I think Mr. Henley can be a bit moody. ;)

EagleLady
11-18-2008, 10:26 AM
:lol: I can take care of that

DonFan
11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Sorry if I offend any Don fans, but I think Mr. Henley can be a bit moody. ;)

That's okay, PM. Don is a complicated individual. That's part of his charm!

DonFan
11-20-2008, 08:47 AM
From the Washington DC Examiner this morning:

"Also spotted around town: Don Henley, Glenn Frey and the rest of the Eagles, checking into the Ritz Carlton Georgetown late on Tuesday night. The band plays the Verizon Center tonight."

How nice of the paper to publish the name of the hotel where the guys are staying. Now all area fans have to do is show up and wait. ;)

TimothyBFan
11-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Unbelievable!!! Can we all say "stalkers"!! Unreal that they would do that!:headshake:

Glennsallnighter
11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Well thats another rumour quashed! That they stay in separate hotels.

AzEaglesFan
11-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Maybe they don't have to worry about stalkers since they all travel with "road managers" like Smokey.

Wildthyme
11-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I ran across this interview that Don did this past Monday (11/24) on WMGK in Philadelphia. He says his previoius comments about LROOE being their last new album might be premature and that he has learned to never say never. He also confirms their plans be on the road at least the next year or two and to tour the parts of the USA they haven't been to. They also plan to spend several weeks this summer in Europe and to visit Japan, Australia and the rest of the Pacific Rim...

http://www.wmgk.com/Audio/tabid/209/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/1434/Don-Henley-interview-with-Andre-Gardner-November-24-2008.aspx

Troubadour
11-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you so much for posting that interview WT! I loved it :heart:

"We're going to spend a few weeks in Europe this summer." AAAAHHHH.

And: "We're shoe people. We like heels."

Freypower
11-28-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm encouraged that he has softened his stance on another album. Regarding the Pacific Rim tour, it has been all doom and gloom down here with the weak dollar and speculation big tours like this would not go ahead. But it won't happen until around this time next year so hopefully the economy will have improved somewhat.

Maleah
11-29-2008, 01:29 AM
I just love listening to Don's voice. I know that sounds pathetic, lol, but even when he's just speaking instead of singing......I just love the sound of it.

11-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks for finding and posting that WT - it was very entertaining and Don was very charming!!! :nod:

chaleymom
11-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey WT - thanks for the great interview post! Where do you guys find all this stuff???

That's encouraging that they still plan to tour for awhile and in more places in the US (and those of you in Europe! Yay for you!!) . I'm sure I'll see them again sometime - but just don't know exactly where yet. It's nice to know we may have a lot of options! Heck I'll fly just about anywhere to see them.

sodascouts
11-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Love this! Thanks for posting it!

Stars
11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
WT, thank you very much for posting that interview with Don from WMGK in Philly! I listen to that station all the time, but somehow missed the interview when it originally aired. I loved hearing it, and will certainly pass on the information to a friend who is a BIG Don fan.

Troubadour
11-30-2008, 04:47 PM
I just love listening to Don's voice. I know that sounds pathetic, lol, but even when he's just speaking instead of singing......I just love the sound of it.

It doesn't sound pathetic at all, Maleah! I feel exactly the same way :heart:

DonFan
11-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Maleah https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=47876#post47876)

It doesn't sound pathetic at all, Maleah! I feel exactly the same way :heart:

Make that three of us!!

BTW, Troub, I love your new av--where is that from?

TimothyBFan
11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
DF-I think that is from the Don and Aerosmith pic she posted in Henley Heaven. Looks really good doesn't it?

Troubadour
11-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks, DF. Willie's right, it's from a photo of Don with Aerosmith that I came across the other day. I was so thrilled when I found it. I think Don looks gorgeous and very chilled out!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/DonHenleyAerosmith.jpg

Just Another Hired Hand
11-30-2008, 11:01 PM
This is the link for an article about the show at the Wachovia Center. It contains a photo.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/25459629.html

Originally published in the Philadelphia Inquirer, July 15, 2008.

eaglesvet
12-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Interminable and WITW in the same sentence? Hogwash! Same with his assessments of LROOE the album and the song. The only thing I will grant him is the length of the song, but it is terminable (i'm assuming that is a word.)

TimothyBFan
12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
EV-we should be use to this by now. Let's face it, most of the reviewers that they send to these concerts do not have a clue!!!!!:hand: It still disgust me but I've learned to just shrug and move on to the next review and sometimes we get lucky with someone who appreciates them and gives them a decent review.

eaglesvet
12-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I know...I just had to comment on his comments. It is sooooo surprising though, how many reviewers write negative comments. I really don't understand it :headscratch:. I'm so objective when I say how great the Eagles are and have been for so long!:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I really don't understand it :headscratch:. I'm so objective when I say how great the Eagles are and have been for so long!:thumbsup:

Why sure you are--just like all the rest of us here!;-) But I know what you mean. I really took Mr.JON FERGUSON's, from the Lancaster on line, post #15 in the Hershey Concert Review topic, to heart when he said that Timothy looked "cadaverous", and on top of it couldn't even spell his name correctly. That kind of stuff really gets to me no matter how often I know these reviewers do it.

TimothyBFan
12-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Our guys have really made it big now-:pThey are now part of Guitar Hero!
Really cool that they included Frail Grasp Of The Big Picture!

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/691441/Smashing_Pumpkins_Eagles_And_Nirvana_Coming_To_Gui tar_Hero_World_Tour.html

sodascouts
12-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm very surprised that they included Frail Grasp. It doesn't have any spectacular guitar work and it's not a very fun song.... aren't we supposed to have fun while playing a video game, and not have to listen to a diatribe?

Other than that, very cool!

DonFan
12-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Some people, myself included, don't think of Frail Grasp as a diatribe.

Freypower
12-04-2008, 06:13 PM
DF, I agree with you, and I also think that the guitar work in the song is excellent and worthy of being included in Guitar Hero.

DonFan
12-05-2008, 02:27 PM
This is part of a hilarious column (with an Eagles twist) that was written by a journalist with a Worcester newspaper:

Wednesday night, I met some friends for cocktails at Viva Bene downtown and almost everyone there was grabbing a bite before going to the Eagles, and let me just say that I’ve never seen so many old people headed to a rock concert in my life. It was sort of cute. Anyway, while at the bar I saw a Worcester city councilor who shall remain nameless, and he said he had an extra ticket to the show and graciously asked if I wanted it. “Wow.” I hesitated. “I loved the Eagles, but I can’t leave my friends.” That’s when one of the friends whom I couldn’t bear to leave piped up. “I’ll take it.” She would have gone, too, had we not laid such a guilt trip on her that she likely never wants to see us again...

...But I’m guessing we’ll see more apparitions as Americans grow more desperate and long for a happier, simpler time; just last week, for example, I saw the profile of Don Henley floating in my martini.

Just let me say, if I had been there when that gentleman offered that free Eagles ticket, I would've accepted the ticket so fast that the heads of my fellow bar patrons would've been spinning! No amount of guilt (and I was raised by a Southern Baptist mother, so trust me, I know guilt) would have stopped me.

Now, I know it must be five o'clock somewhere, so I am about to pour myself a martini and see if Don's face appears in the glass for me, too. :twisted:

12-05-2008, 02:32 PM
:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

All I can say is AMEN sister!!!

(And OBTW - I was raised a Catholic, so believe me, I, too, know what guilt is!!!) :lol:

Mrs Henley
12-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Whaaaa! Give me a martini babe!

ticky
12-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Guilt schmilt, I would have gone.. OKAY.. POLL HERE! How many of us, in this woman's same situation, WOULD NOT have dumped their friends in a hear beat to see the guys!! (this isnt really a fair poll considering the venue *G*) I feel pretty safe when I say... LIKE A HOT POTATO!! (I love ya'll but we're talking the guys here..) Also, most of my friends would not only understand, but encourage it! They're a thoughtful bunch *G*

now, I just finished lunch.. MARTINI TIME!! (If I made it a beer, do ya think I'd see Joe?)

12-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I think I'll make mine a screwdriver - surely I'll be able to see Glenn in one of those!! :wink:

And ticky - I'd betcha there's not many here that would've turn down that ticket no matter who they were with. :nope:

eaglesvet
12-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I wish that paper had actually printed a review as well...I'd be interested in what they had to say about the concert that I saw. I think the "old people" comment was inaccurate-- this crowd seemed younger in general than the Hershey crowd...at least they acted it. Tomorrow, I hope to pick up my Worcester photos from the camera shop. I'll let you all know if they came out OK considering my "jimmy-rigged" camera repair; if so, I'll try to have my son post them under the Concert Reviews-Worcester thread (It's not a digital camera, so I need him to be able to do it.)

TimothyBFan
12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
EV -fingers crossed that they turned out. Can't wait to see them if so!!

DonFan
12-15-2008, 12:01 AM
This is an excerpt from a column from a writer named by D. Ciliberti in the Taunton Gazette:

“Bells will be ringing/the sad, sad news/oh, what a Christmas, to have the blues…”

One of my favorite Christmas songs [that] happens to be sung by my favorite group. When Don Henley starts in his raspy Texan voice, you can just feel the pain of love lost and heartbreak around the holidays.

Is it me or is it tough to feel joyous this holiday season? Yes, I’ve done most of my Christmas shopping, but I pretty much felt that this year, I was just going through the motions. [...] I haven’t even listened to my favorite Christmas song – the one I mentioned above – yet this holiday season.

This piece captures the ambiguity I am feeling this Christmas as well, with job worries and money woes. I haven't written our Christmas cards or finished shopping for gifts yet either. Yet, "Please Come Home For Christmas" is also MY favorite Christmas song and I have been playing it constantly since Dec 1, along with "Blue Christmas" and "Merry Christmas Darling" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." Money is tight but Christmas spirit is plentiful, and here's hoping for a much more stable and prosperous 2009. And I will play "Funky New Year" to ring the new year in right!

TimothyBFan
12-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Of course this is also my favorite Christmas song and I have been playing it to death, along with several other favorites, but I also have to admit it isn't working at all!! I have never been a real big fan of Christmas (I am one of those people that feel that it is way over commercialized and people have lost the true spirit of it) and last year losing my father during the holidays sure didn't help but this year it hasn't gotten any better either. Hubby and I were out yesterday trying hard to get the shopping completed, and at one point I looked at him and said we can't afford this and I bet at least half the people in this store can't afford it but yet we all feel "obligated" to do it! I think that is completely wrong!! Yet we kept going and I'm still feeling the holiday blahs!!! Guess at least I know I am not alone this year!

Just Another Hired Hand
12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Of course this is also my favorite Christmas song and I have been playing it to death, ...Yet we kept going and I'm still feeling the holiday blahs!!! Guess at least I know I am not alone this year!

I know Christmas is a silly season. But I think you are missing the point. It is a "season" when you should devote time to those closest to you. My parents are aging. I am glad they are still here. I am grateful that I can spend (hopefully) another Christmas with them. Over the last few years I have lost a lot of people I was close to. I learned to value the time I have with those that are still here even more. I'd like to suggest you do something special Christmas with your husband and children. I have been very fortunate to make a good living. This Christmas I will be donating to several of my favorite charities.

The gifts are just a way of bringing you all together. Just get soemthing small for one another and cherish the time you can all spend together. Believe me, I know it passes much too quickly. Time is the most valuable resource we all have. It is much more valuable than money and I think that is the one thing we all seem to forget.

Willie, just take some time to be with your people and remember why they are important to you. I think if you consider it, you can be very happy this Christmas.:nod:

sodascouts
12-16-2008, 03:06 AM
So true. Yeah, we all want to give nice gifts to those we love, but in the end, it's simply having "family time" that's the most important. Now that my sisters and I are grown and all over the country, pretty much the only time we see each other are holidays.

TimothyBFan
12-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I know Christmas is a silly season. But I think you are missing the point. It is a "season" when you should devote time to those closest to you.
Willie, just take some time to be with your people and remember why they are important to you. I think if you consider it, you can be very happy this Christmas.

Trust me when I say I amnot "missing the point"! The point has been driven home to me loud and clear about how important family is these past couple of years as I have lost so many close to me. Turn on the tv or stand at the mall and tell me what a majority of people think Christmas is about! Enough said on that subject!

Back on topic-I finally read completely thru the last couple of articles posted here by DF. What struck me while doing so is the fact that neither post #99 or the last Christmas one are really about the Eagles so much but isn't it funny how people can relate the Eagles to different things going on in their lives. Kind of like our topic "Little Things That Remind You Of The Eagles". I guess it is widespread.:D

TimothyBFan
12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Got this alert. A fan's perspective in anticipation of her first time seeing the band in January. Breaks down each song. Cute!!

http://pollyw.blogspot.com/2008/11/appreciation-of-eagles.html

Brooke
12-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Love Will Keep Us Alive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafEFSXVtuw)

When we're hungry, love will keep us alive."

:applause: That was great!

You know, that line in LWKUA reminds me of when my hubby and I got engaged when we were seniors in high school. A cousin of mine (at the time, recently graduated from college and a big success (in his mind), was very disgusted that we were getting married so young. He asked me, What are you going to live on......love? Being young and in love and naive I answered, Whatever it takes! Then, a couple years later he was divorcing his wife and we were doing fine. And 34 years later, I still remember his comment when I hear this song and wonder what he thinks of us now and I think :nahnah:

Freypower
12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
I think an appreciation should involve a bit more than just quoting lyrics verbatim. Still, I should not carp, because at least she tried. I find it very difficult to analyse the songs and what I love about them, and often it does just come back to the lyrics.

Nice of her to include Tequila Sunrise. Presumably she refers to the original version of Take It To The Limit...:eyebrow:

Glennsallnighter
12-16-2008, 06:36 PM
:applause: That was great!

You know, that line in LWKUA reminds me of when my hubby and I got engaged when we were seniors in high school. A cousin of mine (at the time, recently graduated from college and a big success (in his mind), was very disgusted that we were getting married so young. He asked me, What are you going to live on......love? Being young and in love and naive I answered, Whatever it takes! Then, a couple years later he was divorcing his wife and we were doing fine. And 34 years later, I still remember his comment when I hear this song and wonder what he thinks of us now and I think :nahnah:

Its a credit to you Brooke that you have both managed to stay together and in love for so long. I'm sure it hasn't been an easy road all of the time. I hope you have many more happy years together.

DonFan
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Longtime Eagles supporter Lefsetz weighs in again:

Pricing (http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2008/12/18/pricing/)

sodascouts
12-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Of course I would love lower prices for all CDs, and it's great that the Eagles one was cheaper, BUT...

Surely Lefsetz realizes that the only reason that happened was because of the Walmart deal. It was one of the justifications for it, I believe, given by the band. In other words, if the Eagles had gone through a label, their prices would have been just the same as any other act.

And he must also surely realize that Walmart determined the price based on the fact that they hoped to make up the difference in purchases consumers made who had come into that store to buy the Eagles album. The exclusive Eagles album was the small-potatoes lure that would bring someone into Walmart rather than a competitor like Target in order to do their household purchases or Christmas shopping.

In order to make a case for the dropping of prices to the music industry, Lefsetz needs to find an example that doesn't have those kind of external factors. Record execs look at the bottom line. If they make more money off of an album that hits #5 but costs twice as much as the Eagles, they won't change just because their album might go #1 if they lower the prices.

Look at ticket prices. Do they care if they sell fewer seats because of the higher prices? No, because they still make more money.

I want the same thing as Lefsetz does, but his scenario as it stands doesn't make monetary sense for the music industry.

TimothyBFan
12-20-2008, 04:04 PM
http://www.gactv.com/gac/nw_headlines/article/0,3034,GAC_26063_5939785_,00.html

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Dec. 19, 2008 — The Eagles’ album Long Road Out Of Eden ranked as the top country album of the year, according to Billboard magazine, in a list that comes with a bit of a qualifier.
The double-disc Long Road embraces several different genres, with music from the project making its way onto classic-rock, Americana and AAA stations, in addition to country. It’s been certified for 7 million in unit sales, and its first single, "How Long," won a Grammy this year for Best Country Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group.

TimothyBFan
01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
The Eagles listed as #3 of Highest Grossing Concerts with a gross of $73.4 million - They finally beat out Rascal Flatts ( #8 ) :thumbsup:.

http://music.hollyscoop.com/madonna/madonna-has-highest-grossing-concert-of-2008_1383.aspx

DonFan
01-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Woo-hoo! Glad the guys finally beat Rascal Flatts!
Goodness knows we Borderers certainly helped run that monetary figure up, as well.

Prettymaid
01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Aw c'mon, you knew they'd beat them at THIS game! Woo hoo, Eagles!

eaglesvet
01-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Who's to say the Eagles won't finish out as the top-grossing concert tour overall (not just of 2008)), considering they are probably touring all of this year as well? I wouldn't be surprised, especially considering all of the repeat customers they attract!

For some reason, the computer keeps putting the cool smiley in the place I wanted to put an 8 for 2008...oh well...

01-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Well, they have sold a fair share of tickets, that's for sure. I've definitely done my part in recent years. :wink:

I think that's pretty awesome that they finished 3rd. I'm not positive, but I would guess that they probably did less shows than Madonna or Celine, so if you factor that in, they may be even closer to the top.

sodascouts
01-06-2009, 04:51 AM
The Eagles deserve their prominence, although the money they charged for tickets to get that prominence prices out many fans.

evet - the smiley occurs whenever an "8" is followed by a closed parenthesis ")" - the software recognizes that as a smiley code, like : ) . I leave a space between the parenthesis and the number to keep it from happening.

DonFan
01-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Once again, let me draw your attention to the article about 5 reasons why fans continue going to see Eagles concerts (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-eagles_1115gd.ART0.State.Edition1.4a46be9.html)!

TimothyBFan
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
:applause::applause::applause::applause: Good article!!!

Hey, most of us here have reached "a certain echelon of worldliness"! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
The must-see group: Like the Beatles, if they were still together, the Eagles are one of those bands deemed important enough to see at least once before you die or before they never tour again, whichever comes first. There's a coffee-table-book relevancy about them. They are like a coup. If you've seen them live in concert, you've somehow reached a certain echelon of worldliness.

This has been mentioned here before but I can't stress it enough-this is the reason why I wanted to see them perform live...it's the reason why I was once an old Eagles fan and now I'm a new Eagles fan!

DonFan
01-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey, most of us here have reached "a certain echelon of worldliness"!

Don't you know Don just loves it when reviewers use phrases like that? ;)

Glennsallnighter
01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Great article and oh so TRUE!!

eaglesvet
01-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Oh, I agree with that reporter wholeheartedly!! I'm sure the Eagles would love to read how they are still relevant, instead of the negative reviews. And no one knows how to fulfill a desire to fork over the bucks better than a Borderer, as we all know! :mrgreen: :rockon:

Peekaboo
01-11-2009, 08:27 AM
And no one knows how to fulfill a desire to fork over the bucks better than a Borderer, as we all know! :mrgreen: :rockon:

True words have never been spoken better. And I will be doing it again in just a few weeks. And if i could get someone to go with me, i would make the drive to the concert at Mizzou. My friends and family think i'm nuts because i'm going all the way to Florida to see the Eagles but only my fellow Borderers can truely understand why.

01-11-2009, 01:35 PM
there is a coffee-table-book relevancy about themHmmm - I guess that is true, but somehow, I don't think this is what will be going through my mind in Hampton tomorrow night! :lol:

It is an interesting article though. Thanks DF.

EagleLady
01-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I think Dreamer will be too busy focusing her attention on a certain Mr. Frey ;)

01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I think Dreamer will be too busy focusing her attention on a certain Mr. Frey ;)

:nod: :nod:

But I plan on checking out Don, Joe, and Timothy some too. :wink:

EagleLady
01-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Oh Most Definitely :nod: I wish They'd come here.

Glennsallnighter
01-11-2009, 06:17 PM
True words have never been spoken better. And I will be doing it again in just a few weeks. And if i could get someone to go with me, i would make the drive to the concert at Mizzou. My friends and family think i'm nuts because i'm going all the way to Florida to see the Eagles but only my fellow Borderers can truely understand why.

I know the feeling PaB

Brooke
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Pb, I'm going to be at the Mizzou concert and would love to meet ya there!

Come on!

Peekaboo
01-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Pb, I'm going to be at the Mizzou concert and would love to meet ya there!

Come on!

Hmm, this is really tempting. I will really have to think about it and see if i could possibly get the time off of work and the money together.

Peekaboo
01-11-2009, 10:36 PM
The more I think about it, I might try to make this happen. My mom's birthday is in March and this could be a great way for the both of us to see the guys again. Brooke, you just might be seeing me in Missouri in a few months.

Brooke
01-13-2009, 10:23 AM
The more I think about it, I might try to make this happen. My mom's birthday is in March and this could be a great way for the both of us to see the guys again. Brooke, you just might be seeing me in Missouri in a few months.

:yay: Hope it works out, Pb!

Peekaboo
01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
:yay: Hope it works out, Pb!

I can't guarantee anything yet but a plan me be in the works.

TimothyBFan
01-15-2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/jan/15/eagles_have_always_done_things_little_di68355/

DonFan
03-05-2009, 12:59 AM
http://www.bhamweekly.com/article.php?article_id=001209

One of our independent area papers has an article about censorship of classic rock songs this week, and the song they cite is the Eagles' Life In The Fast Lane. They actually have a poll on the above site asking readers to cite whether they find bleeping "God" out of the famous line "We've been up and down the this highway/haven't seen a Goddamn thing" offensive. I thought Borderers might like to participate, too!

I will post a link to the results in their March 19 edition.

TimothyBFan
03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks DF--I've given my 2 cents!

sodascouts
03-05-2009, 11:21 AM
So did I!

Peekaboo
03-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Me too. And i find it interesting that after 30+ years there's just now some sort of debate about it. Well, maybe there was in the past and this is the first time i'm hearing about it.

03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
It's funny, but I just finished commenting in the Survivor thread about something similar. I also went ahead and put in my '2 cents' in the poll.

PB, I can tell you that there was MUCH discussion back in the day about the entire Hotel California album and many of the lyrics in the songs. The album was very leading-edge and controversial at the time of it's release. As I said in the Survivor thread, the controversy surrounding the album had a widespread social impact. Its 'true' message was endlessly debated (and sometimes still is) among scholars, theologians, community leaders, educators, etc., etc., etc. As with many controversial subjects, the album eventually left a lasting impression on our cultural landscape.

I don't want to sound too dramatic, but I really don't think I am overstating the album's social relevance.

Freypower
03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
'People find it offensive' - well there's a nice, deeply researched statement. Who are 'people'?

I think people here are aware that I am not religious and those happen to be my favourite lines in the song, which I guess is easy for me to say. It is not for me to claim whether or not it is offensive to religious people. I will say I don't believe the word should be censored.

DonFan
03-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I am receiving all kinds of Google Alerts about our radio station censoring LITFL. Who would have dreamed that this would be going on now, so many years after the release of that song? :headscratch: This one is from Entertainment Weekly:

The Eagles get censored. Wait, what? (http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/03/07/eagles-censored/)

TimothyBFan
03-09-2009, 07:16 AM
It's funny--We have noticed the local channel up here (WAOR 95.3) has all of a sudden started censoring some of the songs that they never have before. We were just talking about this the other night and wondering why all of a sudden they have changed it. Haven't noticed Eagles being censored yet tho. Strange--do you think the whole world is getting more moral on us? Geez--I hate censorship of any kind!!

03-09-2009, 11:52 AM
TBF, in general, I don't like censorship either. However, I do think that a radio station has a right to play whatever songs they want. If they don't like the lyrics of a song, then I think that they should just ban it. To me, bleeping or changing words just brings more attention to them. I personally think it would be ridiculous to ban LITFL, but if a radio station wants to make a statement, it seems to me that removing the song from the play list would be lot more effective.

sodascouts
03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
It's a difficult thing. The truth is, I don't mind the radio bleeping out words on occasion. With today's songs, especially rap and hip hop, they use the f- word so much it's ridiculous. I don't want to hear that on the radio.

It's common practice to censor lyrics on stations all across America - just go to iTunes and see how many songs have two versions - the radio friendly "censored" one and the "explicit lyrics" one. If the solution is to just take them off the radio rather than play them, many modern stations would have seriously decimated playlists!

The artists understand this and accept it; you don't hear them insisting that their cussing gets played on the radio. They want their music to get exposure, and if that means allowing their cussing to get bleeped out, they're OK with it. People can always hear the full versions when they buy the albums - the artists' ultimate goal.

I think the reason many people are getting up in arms about LITFL is that they think that g-ddamn isn't as bad as the f- word, and they don't place the Eagles's LITFL in the same category as Eminem's My Name Is (Slim Shady) (http://www.mp3lyrics.org/e/eminem/my-name-is-explicit/v3.html), for instance. The Eagles are "sacred cows." Now, me, I hate that lyric and I never sing along with it. Many people DO find that word as offensive as the f- word. It still gets beeped on TV. Why should the rules be different for radio? Why should the rules be different for the Eagles?

So, I'll take the unpopular position that if the station wants to censor the lyrics, I don't have a problem with it.

Brooke
03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Very well said, Soda, and I agree.

Btw, I LOVE your new av. :heart:

Freypower
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Soda, you make some good points, but the song is 33 years old. It seems a bit late in the day for it to be censored. It would make far more sense for the station not to play it. They appear to have only just discovered that the word is part of the song. Did they censor it in 1977?

tbsfan
03-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Soda, you make some good points, but the song is 33 years old. It seems a bit late in the day for it to be censored. It would make far more sense for the station not to play it. They appear to have only just discovered that the word is part of the song. Did they censor it in 1977?

I remember back when the song was being played on the radio constantly that there was a more radio-friendly version that left that part of the song out completely. When I finally heard the album cut, I was a bit surprised.

There were also more radio-friendly versions of the Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner and the Charlie Daniels Band's The Devil Went Down to Georgia.

Maleah
03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Same here Soda. I wasn't going to jump in but since you've stated how I feel about it so eloquently as well.....I decided just to pipe up and completely agree with you. ;) :thumbsup: I never sing that exact line either....if I do sing some variation it's "haven't seen a doggone thing." :hilarious: Anyway, obviously I don't have a problem with the radio station censoring the lyric either.

Fan_For_Life
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I have no problem with censorship either, especially for something as trivial as a cuss word.

EagleLady
03-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't believe In censorship. It's a violation of our freedom of speech guaranteed in the constitution. IMO If you don't like cussing, you don't have to listen.

03-10-2009, 12:11 PM
As I said before, I don't generally like censorship either. However, I have to say that censorship in the sense that we are talking about here is not a violation of our right to freedom of speech. The 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution basically states that the government cannot pass laws that prohibits our exercise of free speech. That doesn't mean that all forms of censorship is illegal.

sodascouts
03-10-2009, 12:17 PM
True Dreamer. That's a misconception a lot of people have. It even extends to message boards!

I say, if you don't appreciate the fact that the station censors cuss words, express your freedom to change the channel. IMO if you don't like censoring, you don't have to listen. ;)

melrose
03-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Censorship is a tough issue. I personally think it is wrong, but then again I believe it can be good. I think an artist should have the right to say whatever they please. This may affect their chances of a record deal but that is a choice that they have to make. As someone mentioned earlier, you can always buy a radio edit or explicit version of most, if not all, songs. Because children listen to the radio, I think it is important to have some sort of filter on the music available to them. Eleven and twelve year olds don't need to hear some of the vulgar things today's pop/hip hop/rap stars have to say. Maybe that is just my opinion though...

Do I like that they censored LITFL? No. Do I have a problem with it? Not really.

Fan_For_Life
03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I heard LITFL the other day and it wasn't censored. Are they just doing this in certain states?

Censorship used to leave a bad taste in my mouth. But since I've had kids and see just how young they pick up stuff not so good for them, I'm glad it's there when it comes to the kids. I didn't start picking things up til I was 8-10yrs old, but my kids picked it up at 6-8yrs.

They can issue a censored version of any cd but if the kids are listening to the radio then they need to have that safety to listen without being affected in a negative fashion.

melrose
03-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey Fan_For_Life did you happen to hear it on Jacksonville's The Eagle? I heard it on there the other day and it wasn't censored. I think the radio stations are censoring at their own discretion. I've heard it both ways, so who knows...

Fan_For_Life
03-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes, I believe it was. 96.9. The Eagle! :)

sodascouts
03-25-2009, 02:57 AM
Ah, Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac is still getting his digs in!

From an interview in this month's Rolling Stone (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_O0UunEsWa5E/ScVxS34pmbI/AAAAAAAAAHE/edbANUQJjCU/s1600-h/macrollingstone.jpg), regarding whether or not there is still tension between Lindsey and Stevie Nicks in the band as they tour:

"This is still based in a situation where there were two couples that had broken up. But we do talk to each other - we're not the Eagles."

Just speculating here, but could Lindsey's sniping at the Eagles have anything to do with the fact that not one but two members of the current line-up have enjoyed the favors of Ms. Nicks?

Maleah
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Oooo is Lindsey still a little bitter about that? Maybe it bugs him that Don and Stevie are still good friends as well? Interesting quote none-the-less.

sodascouts
03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
This isn't really "the press" per se but I thought it was cute:

Richard Marx talks about how he got Timothy, Joe, and even Randy involved in the recording of Don't Mean Nothing:

http://thepaisano.com/seizingtheday/dont-mean-nothing/

Troubadour
03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
"This is still based in a situation where there were two couples that had broken up. But we do talk to each other - we're not the Eagles."

LOL. Ouch.

Just speculating here, but could Lindsey's sniping at the Eagles have anything to do with the fact that not one but two members of the current line-up have enjoyed the favors of Ms. Nicks?

I love Stevie but... do we have an emoticon for 'lucky cow'?

DonFan
03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
This is a nice little blog from a college journalist's perspective. When I was freelancing for several of our local publications I tried (unsuccessfully) to get a press pass to an Eagles concert too, so it was interesting for me to read how strict they were about escorting journalists out after the first three songs. Anyway, this writer is definitely a fan, & the pics are nice too:

Every time my friends and I went to spend the summer holidays on Elba, a small island in northern Italy, we would listen to the Eagles’ Hotel California when we drove our car off the ferry and onto that little paradise. This song embodies summer for me, and it is loaded to the brink with fond and melancholic memories. Whenever I hear that piece it takes me away to someplace completely else, more so than any other song. I guess I won’t exaggerate if I call it my absolute, all-time favorite.

So when I learned that the Eagles were coming to play in Columbia, it was clear that I had to get to that concert somehow. I just wanted to hear that song live once in my lifetime. However, with ticket prices starting at $90.00, the Eagles aren’t really meeting my budget. So what to do?
That’s where my current staff photography course at the Columbia Missourian comes in. A call from the editors and the little plastic ID card that we got with the three magic words on it ("working press corps") can work miracles. And so, after I was officially admitted as a photographer for the Vox Magazine and the Columbia Missourian, I really did get to go to that concert.
Together with Clare, a fellow shooter at the Missourian, I went to the Mizzou Arena one and a half hours ahead of time. There was a huge crowd waiting at the gates, and most of the people were old enough to be my parents (or even grand-parents).

http://jakobsmizzoublog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/20090317usd01-dsc5614.jpg?w=432&h=287
When the media personnel of the Arena finally picked us up to equip us with our press credentials, they told us that we were only allowed to be in the concert hall for the first three songs. After that, we would have to pack our gear and leave immediately. I asked them if they knew where Hotel California was on the set list, and they said that it would be the fifth song. However, if we walked really, really slow on our way out, we might get to hear the beginning of it. Then they escorted us to our stands on the floor.

http://jakobsmizzoublog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/20090317usd01-dsc5644.jpg?w=287&h=432
Well, coming to think of it, "stands" might be an exaggeration. Rather, we were perched between the fence enclosing the sound booth and the back row of the floor seats in a small alley that was continuously frequented by latecomers making their way to their seats. In order to get above people’s heads and get a clear shot of the band, I had to climb on the fence and sit up there, holding as still as possible while balancing my camera with the heavy 300 mm lens on it.

http://jakobsmizzoublog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/20090317usd01-dsc5663.jpg?w=287&h=432
During the three songs we were allowed to shoot, I spread out every single piece of equipment that I had as far as I could around me. The strobe, the cord, every lens and even the lens caps were placed strategically, so that it would take me a long, long time to gather my stuff together once the third song was finished.
The concert was mind blowing, and they had put together an incredible light show. After they started off with How Long, Glenn Frey welcomed the crowd and introduced the tour as "the Eagles’ assisted living tour," harvesting cheers and laughter. They continued with I Don’t Want To Hear Anymore and Guilty Of The Crime, and then Bill Armstrong played his trumpet solo that lead up to Hotel California.

http://jakobsmizzoublog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/20090317usd01-dsc5707-000.jpg?w=432&h=287
We had to get ready to leave now, and I clumsily started to scramble my stuff together, taking as much time as I could without making it look too obvious. I "accidentally" got tangled up in my flash cord and of course I had to rearrange my lenses a few times before I could close the camera bag. All in all, I successfully managed to kill the whole trumpet solo, and when we turned around to make our (escorted) way out, they started playing it. Hotel California. I couldn’t believe that I was finally getting to hear that song live, from the hands and the mouths of the very geniuses who wrote it. The crowd went frantic, and the first riffs of the guitar sent a shudder down my back. I walked as slowly as possible behind our escort, all the while absorbing every tiny little bit of this bitter-sweet acoustic miracle.

http://jakobsmizzoublog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/20090317usd01-dsc5687.jpg?w=432&h=287
Finally we reached the exit, and then there was no way of delaying it any longer. After letting a few more latecomers pass through the narrow stair case into the hall, we had to leave the arena. I didn’t get to hear the guitar solo at the end of the song anymore, at least not from inside the hall. But that didn’t really matter to me anymore. Hearing Hotel California live at last had shot me to cloud nine within seconds, and there was nothing that could bring me down from there.

Fan_For_Life
03-31-2009, 11:40 PM
That was a very pleasant read. Thanks for sharing. Well can't beat 3 songs for free, can you.

TimothyBFan
04-01-2009, 07:02 AM
I couldn’t believe that I was finally getting to hear that song live, from the hands and the mouths of the very geniuses who wrote it. The crowd went frantic, and the first riffs of the guitar sent a shudder down my back.

Who of us here haven't felt that shudder? Very cool!

Brooke
04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
That was cool! Especially since I was at that show. I searched for myself in that pic of the crowd, but I'm not there. I stood in line for a while, but decided to go back and sit on the wall behind them to wait for my niece. I do remember seeing a couple of those people though.

Thanks for that DF! :)

TimothyBFan
04-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Here's something from Google Alerts--Bird & Animal Names in Rock & Roll and our guys are the topic for this installment.

http://www.1800blogger.com/2009/04/01/bird-animal-names-in-rock-roll-history-part-five/

Prettymaid
04-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Back a minute to the college journalist's article that DF posted and TBF already quoted:

"I couldn’t believe that I was finally getting to hear that song live, from the hands and the mouths of the very geniuses who wrote it. The crowd went frantic, and the first riffs of the guitar sent a shudder down my back. I walked as slowly as possible behind our escort, all the while absorbing every tiny little bit of this bitter-sweet acoustic miracle."

That's what I'm talking about. That's the feeling I got when I heard Hotel California live, and that's why it's my favorite live song.

I also had to smile to myself that this particular fan would consider himself very lucky that the Eagles aren't doing BBF anymore!

TimothyBFan
04-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Do not ask me how I stumbled upon this one because I'm really not sure! Interesting to say the least. I wonder if these quotes are for real or not? Thoughts please?

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1014531/eaglesfreak17

sodascouts
04-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I recognize the name - this person was a member of another board I once posted on. Not sure if she's a member here.

I think I've heard some of the quotes before, and I believe they are indeed legit... but Joe's stories are often made up, so I guess it is "legit" only in the sense that it came from his mouth. lol

Fan_For_Life
04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Veteran music acts thriving at big box stores

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_en_mu/music_box_stores_veterans

melrose
04-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for finding that FFL. I guess I've never looked at the whole exclusive album deal that way. It makes sense, though.

Fan_For_Life
04-03-2009, 11:22 PM
If Guns and Roses, who has been non existant for the last decade can sell a million through a deal like that then, yes it is evidently the way to go anymore if the music industry has any way of even coming close to what record sales were like before internet piracy and IMO lack of promotion by record companies for bands that are more than two yrs old.

TimothyBFan
04-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Just got this in google alerts??????

http://www.antimusic.com/news/09/april/07Essential_Eagles_Book_Coming.shtml

sodascouts
04-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Interesting! I'd hesitate to buy it, though, because it looks like a collection of interviews we've already read. Thanks for the heads up anyway!

AzEaglesFan
04-16-2009, 01:53 AM
I got this on Google Alert http://shaoweii.blogspot.com/ I thought it was kind of cute

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 07:45 AM
lol! That is cute. Too bad nobody does Eagles tributes around here!

Prettymaid
04-16-2009, 09:24 AM
When I was finally able to tear myself away from the bizarre first story, I enjoyed the cute Eagles thing!

anne-o-gg
04-16-2009, 09:33 AM
When I was finally able to tear myself away from the bizarre first story

No doubt - was that for real???

Cute Eagles tid-bit, though

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 10:55 AM
I didn't read the first story until I saw your comment, PM. Surely that is not for real!

Prettymaid
04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Is it even physically possible?!!??!

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I've always had the impression that Viagra helped the guy get going, not that it forced him to get going! Admittedly I don't know much about it but still! Since she apparently released him after three days, I imagine he agreed to trade his "favors" for freedom and was a willing participant. That was still coercive of her and illegal to hold him against his will (literally, lol), but it's not quite what he made it out to be.

melrose
04-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I didn't see that story at first :shock:

Is it even physically possible?!!??!

I'm not even sure if I want to know...

TimothyBFan
04-16-2009, 01:15 PM
That story wasn't there earlier! Sorry I went back in to read it! Geez!! It takes all kinds doesn't it? Looks like they were actually 2 of a kind!

Brooke
04-16-2009, 01:17 PM
:shock: They will probably end up together. Sounds like they deserve each other! Geez!

AzEaglesFan
04-17-2009, 03:37 AM
I know that first story was not there when I first read it but it sure was interesting reading.

Glennsallnighter
04-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Very cute! I like the way the eale out front on the pic is called 'Glenn :heart: Frey'

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Well, this is a shocker!

The Eagles to Become Susan Boyle's Backup Band (http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s2i51537)

Here is a small excerpt from the article ...

Simon Cowell, who is Susan Boyle's manager, has just disclosed to the news media that he has signed the California-based band the Eagles to be Miss Boyle's backup band on her upcoming summer concert tour.
----------------------------------------------------------

And yes, this is a spoof. lol

eaglesvet
04-21-2009, 04:58 AM
But only because Malia is so allergic...the rabbit gave the joke away, Soda. :wink: Next time, change it to a gecco. :nahnah:

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
lol. I didn't write it, but I thought it was a hoot! And I had no idea Malia was allergic, so I didn't even get that joke!

Troubadour
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
LOL!

This bit jumped out at me, for some reason... :heybaby::lol:

Henley says that he can hardly wait to tour with Susan because he heard that she knows a lot of adult-themed jokes.

Fan_For_Life
04-21-2009, 08:42 PM
That's the best thing I've read in a long time. LOL!!

eaglesvet
04-21-2009, 09:08 PM
lol. I didn't write it, but I thought it was a hoot! And I had no idea Malia was allergic, so I didn't even get that joke!
You haven't been following the most closely guarded secret (until it was leaked ~10 days ago) about what breed of puppy the Obamas would get the girls? It had to be a hypoallergenic breed because of Malia-- which is how they wound up with Bo, the Portuguese Water Dog. And no, it's not only common knowledge among veterinarians...it truly has made the news among the general population!! But anyway, rabbits seem to be very allergenic (unlike geccos :hilarious:.)

Koala
05-08-2009, 02:52 AM
http://www.standard.net/live/news/172366/

Prettymaid
05-08-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm getting so tired of reading about conflicts within the band that happened years ago. They have all stated that they get along with each other now, but I guess that's too boring to write about. Every writer wants to assume that there is some conflict still going on to this day! :headshake:

05-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm getting so tired of reading about conflicts within the band that happened years ago. They have all stated that they get along with each other now, but I guess that's too boring to write about. Every writer wants to assume that there is some conflict still going on to this day! :headshake:

PM, I agree that it gets tiresome, but in defense of these writer's, the band's fights are almost as much as part of the band's legendary history as their music - part of the soap opera that keeps some people interested. I doubt if people will ever stop writing about it. Overall, I thought this was an enjoyable read.

Maleah
05-08-2009, 04:30 PM
If we get tired of hearing it PM, imagine how tired the guys get of answering questions about it! lol!

Freypower
05-08-2009, 06:24 PM
The 'always in litigation with each other' stuff is a wild exaggeration. They had one long running lawsuit with Felder which finished years ago.

Fan_For_Life
05-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I was gonna say haven't they already found a little peace with each other?

Wildthyme
05-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Not sure if this belongs here exactly.... but there was an article in our paper yesterday about three men from our local country club that went to play the Augusta course where the Master's is held. Well turns out one of the three is the Eagles tour manager and he lives HERE in Medford!

So I have decided that if they don't announce some West Coast dates soon I am going to go over to this guy's house and picket on his front lawn until I get what I want so :nahnah: LOL

Prettymaid
05-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Excellent discovery WT. Now you just have to find his house...

TimothyBFan
05-18-2009, 08:42 AM
I can see bail money being needed in the future to get Cami & Rhonda out of jail and a possible restraining order to be had!

Prettymaid
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Oh yeah, Willie, I can defintely see Ticky's hand in this...it's playing out in my head right now like a Lucy episode!

ticky
05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Cliffy : "Rhooondaa! You got some 'splainin' to do!"

me: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

eaglesvet
05-18-2009, 01:32 PM
LOL!

Wildthyme
05-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Excellent discovery WT. Now you just have to find his house...

Already did... silly man is in the book... :nod: :laugh: :crazy: :rofl:

ticky
05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Okay Ethel.. here's the plan... I'll bring the cookies and you bring the burlap bag and rope... We'll dress up like girl scouts and knock on his door...

Maleah
05-18-2009, 05:46 PM
ROTFL!! I'll drive the getaway car!

melrose
05-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Already did... silly man is in the book...

:shock: wow! Operation "this will most likely end badly" is a go!

But seriously, what could go wrong? :hilarious:

EagleLady
05-18-2009, 06:29 PM
I will be hiding in the trunk ;)

Prettymaid
05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
And I'd just pay to stand back and watch the whole thing unwind...

anne-o-gg
05-20-2009, 07:57 AM
:shock: wow! Operation "this will most likely end badly" is a go!

But seriously, what could go wrong? :hilarious:

LOL!!!

Koala
06-07-2009, 02:47 AM
Ok this I found today in the german press.
I hope I has this correct translated.

The Eagles landing

There are rock bands and there are legends. The Eagles are undoubtedly the latter. Along with Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album, their "Greatest Hits" is still the top seller in the U.S.

In the collective memory of Rock, the Eagles are known as the group that went perfectly with the American myths of the pioneer spirit and playing James Dean, singing tales of Tequila and Outlaws.

The founding members Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner played in 1971 for the singer Linda Ronstadt. They formed the Eagles, and that same year "Take It Easy" was a big hit. Even greater fame awaited. The melodic "Hotel California" was an ode to the sunny state of California. Although the band celebrated the "American Way of Life," they denounced the affluent society and the artificial world of wealth. The party nature of the song changed nothing.The Eagles went to the top, then went past it.

In 1976, Joe Walsh replaced Bernie Leadon and in 1977, Timothy B. Schmit replaced Randy Meisner. In 1994, the Eagles reunited with the inclusion of Don Felder. In 2007, they released the new album "Long Road Out Of Eden". Critically, they sing about war and environmental destruction.

06-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your efforts, Koala. The translation was definitely understandable.

GlennLover
06-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Here is the link to the translation of an article that Don gave to Focus magazine, which, I assume, is a German magazine. Kind of exciting because Don says that there is still a possibility of another Eagles album. He confirms that he still has a contract for 2 more solo albums & states that Joe, Timothy & Glenn are working on solo projects. I hadn't heard that Glenn was working on anything lately!

http://eaglesfans.typepad.com/files/focus-interview.pdf

Freypower
06-08-2009, 01:49 AM
I would appreciate it if you could quote the exact part about Glenn allegedly working on a solo project because the link didn't work for me. Seriously. PLEASE, Glenn.

As for another Eagles album.... oh yeah. That would be wonderful.

GlennLover
06-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Sure. Here is the quote:

"Though we still have five songs in our backlog and still develop new ideas in between. But we just let it happen. I still have a contract for two solo albums, and also Glenn, Joe and Timothy are working on solo projects. That has priority next to the current world tour. We all created the brand Eagles and we like to call the band our "mother ship". That allows us to swarm out and discover new worlds in between - with the certainty in our backs to return at any time.

See if you can get to the article through this link: http://www.eaglesfans.com/. Click on Don Henley Interview in Focus Magazine.

Brooke
06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Newsflash: Don and Tim are appearing on John Fogerty's new album, on the song "Garden Party"!

www.johnfogerty.com (http://www.johnfogerty.com)

(http://twitter.com/john_fogerty)

06-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks Brooke. Now. that oughta be a really good album!

Freypower
06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Leaving aside Tim & Don singing backup (why doesn't Glenn do this stuff)? the idea of Fogerty singing not only Garden Party but Back Home Again intrigues me.

AzEaglesFan
06-12-2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/eagles-weezer-aguilera-to-launch-24-hour-1003983953.story
It will be interesting to see if this comes into being. Isn"t this Irving company?

06-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Wow - this is huge news! Thanks for finding it AEF. I think I am going to start a new thread for this. And yes, Frontline Management is Irving's company.

Peekaboo
06-27-2009, 06:24 PM
http://idolator.com/5247672/chartwalker-why-billboard-geeks-remain-fond-of-michael-jackson

Here are a couple of excerpts from the article that we may find interesting here.

back in 2000 (http://www.livedaily.com/news/2137.html), Jackson’s album [Thriller] was dethroned by the now 29-times-platinum Eagles album Their Greatest Hits 1971–75. You don’t have to be a virulent Don Henley-hater to find this standing offensive — a hits compilation, topping one of the greatest original pop recordings of all time?

I’d love it if, by Labor Day, Jackson’s masterwork had not only tied but blown past the Eagles and become the first U.S. album to top 30 million in certified sales. Fingers crossed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if anyone here would mention this and then I read this article earlier today so I thought that I would bring it forward. I feel kinda bad for evening thinking this but I couldn't help but think about it yesterday and when I mentioned to a friend about how the Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 album has been battling Thriller for years as the best selling album of all time, her first response was "Oh no, the Eagles have just lost." I know that the guys have already been given that title for the 20th Century but as far as music sales today and in the future, that title may now be in jeopardy for the Eagles.

eaglesvet
06-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I missed the Fogerty item a few weeks ago...cool!

sodascouts
06-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I’d love it if, by Labor Day, Jackson’s masterwork had not only tied but blown past the Eagles and become the first U.S. album to top 30 million in certified sales. Fingers crossed.

Well, if Thriller surpasses Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 in sales due to Michael Jackson's death, and the only way to regain the title of "best selling album of all time" would be the demise of an Eagle... I'll take second place.

06-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Absolutely agree, Soda!

AzEaglesFan
06-27-2009, 09:05 PM
I heard on CNN that people are buying Michaels CDs now because they are afraid that the record company may not be able to print? anymore of his music if his estate ends up in court for the next few years while they sort out who gets what. I'm like Soda, I would rather that all the members of Eagles stay alive and healthy. I can't find the Eagles Greatest Hits in any of the stores, maybe it just means they need to reissure it again.

GlennLover
06-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I can't find the Eagles Greatest Hits in any of the stores, maybe it just means they need to reissure it again.

I see it in stores in my area, Walmart being one of them.

And, you are sooooo right, Dreamer & Soda, we don't want anything bad to happen to our precious Eagles :worried: :pray:! If it Thriller surpasses Greatest Hits, second place will do just fine!

Peekaboo
06-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Yes, I agree with you too, Soda. I too would rather take second place than see the demise of an Eagle. I'm just a little bit bummed out about them losing that top spot. Although it very likely will happen, we don't know for certain that Thriller will surpass Their Greatest Hits.

Freypower
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I found the whole tone of that article offensive, and I agree that I would rather the members of the Eagles remained alive. It is hardly the Eagles' fault that Their Greatest Hits sold so many copies. If the writer of the article thinks 'justice' will be done now that Jackson is dead, he/she has problems.

sodascouts
06-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah, that article really was tacky.

Brooke
06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I heard on a newscast yesterday that Thriller was the biggest seller and thought, hmmmm, surely it hasn't out sold the Eagles Greatest Hits album yet! I suppose it could happen now.

Freypower
06-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Thriller is often referred to as the biggest seller of all time which is not a compilation. That is how these people can avoid acknowledging the Eagles, as the article made clear - 'oh well, a compilation isn't a REAL album'. Their Greatest Hits is the biggest selling album of all time at the moment no matter how much facts are twisted to suit someone's agenda.

06-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Well to be fair, I believe that Eagles Greatest Hits is the biggest selling album of all time here in the U.S. My understanding is that Thriller has always held the record for worldwide sales.

Peekaboo
07-09-2009, 05:36 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9780882/Which-act-will-get-the-nod-for-Super-Bowl-XLIV

I have my doubts that the Eagles will ever play the Super Bowl. Although, it would be really cool if the guys performed the half time show. I could be wrong but didn't the guys already turn down an offer to play the Super Bowl a couple of years ago?

Edited to add: I just went back to the link and you can vote for which half time act you want to see. GO EAGLES!!!!

Prettymaid
07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I voted, but somebody else is winning!

AmarilloByMorning
07-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Bon Jovi? Seriously? I dislike the Black Eyed Peas, but at least they're relevant to the youth market; and, while DMB isn't my version of "fantastic" either, they're still running strong with a new album. Blah. Elton John seems too much to hope for...

The Thriller discussion and ensuing suggestion of an Eagles demise prompted a cold shiver. As long as my two favorite artists, George Strait and the Eagles, are touring and active in the industry (even if they're, respectively, sequestered in Texas or touring on the other side of the planet) I am able to entertain this ludicrous delusion that all is right with the world. As for who has the "best-selling" album... superlatives are highly overrated. The Eagles are still, arguably, as popular as ever, whereas most of their contemporaries and previous rivals have retred or faded. That's a title worth wearing with pride.

EagleLady
07-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Bon Jovi? Seriously? I dislike the Black Eyed Peas, but at least they're relevant to the youth market; and, while DMB isn't my version of "fantastic" either, they're still running strong with a new album. Blah. Elton John seems too much to hope for...

The Thriller discussion and ensuing suggestion of an Eagles demise prompted a cold shiver. As long as my two favorite artists, George Strait and the Eagles, are touring and active in the industry (even if they're, respectively, sequestered in Texas or touring on the other side of the planet) I am able to entertain this ludicrous delusion that all is right with the world. As for who has the "best-selling" album... superlatives are highly overrated. The Eagles are still, arguably, as popular as ever, whereas most of their contemporaries and previous rivals have retred or faded. That's a title worth wearing with pride.

Excuse me? Elton, too much to hope for? :fight::hilarious:

ETA: I can only hope right?

Fan_For_Life
07-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Hell is for Heroes

The Eagles' Slow Burn in the Rock & Roll Inferno

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/20696389/hell_is_for_heroes/2

This is a pretty good sunday morning read. Just imagine what it's like to be able to sit literally in the middle of all this, watching it unfold like this person was able to do.

07-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Yep - I love that article and I literally LMAO everytime I read it. It is so funny when you have 30 years of retrospect to compare their lifestyles to.

sodascouts
08-13-2009, 08:03 PM
This isn't really much of a mention but check out that photo! Nice!

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/hbo/2009/aug/12/beat-goes-thru-generations/

Britt
08-13-2009, 09:12 PM
That is a nice photo! Thanks for posting.

timfan
08-16-2009, 08:58 PM
The Eagles did pretty great in this poll!!
http://www.mcarchives.com/news/spec.asp?id=8676

Freypower
08-16-2009, 09:52 PM
It's fitting that the Beatles and the Eagles won their age brackets.

I am somewhat baffled by the inclusion of Carrie Underwood. I have never heard one of her songs. As for Garth Brooks, I know he sold a lot of records, and again, I have never heard anything by him. I wonder how different these results would be with British voters?

*Soda, I LOVE that signature.

EagleLady
08-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Carrie's great, very talented.

eaglesvet
08-16-2009, 10:24 PM
I heard this last night on the radio, and was quite excited about our guys! I'm glad you found the article to post. Quite a few reminded me of our "Greatest Rock Band of all Time" thread.

I like Carrie a lot. Definitely know that Garth is very popular, though I couldn't name a song off the top of my head. I'm sure I would recognize some of them though. Johnny Cash, though...no way...can't stand him--he's got to be from the 65 and up club.

AzEaglesFan
08-17-2009, 02:05 AM
America thinks well of the dead I guess. 2 of the 4 Beatles are gone, Johnny Cash,Michael Jackson and Elvis are gone. Eagles are the only ones in the top 5 that are all still among the living.