PDA

View Full Version : John Mayer

sodascouts
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm watching his Storytellers on VH1 right now and I'm impressed. I knew his hits prior to this but not his lesser known stuff. I've always known he was talented and loved his sense of humor as well (his show, his writing, his Tweets, his guest spots). He seems like an interesting guy with interesting music.

What do you guys think of him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBIxScJ5rlY

EagleLady
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
He's not that impressive to me. I just don't think he's that good. He's cute though

eaglesvet
01-28-2010, 10:18 PM
I actually really love his music, especially a lot of his lesser known songs from his previous albums. I haven't heard much from the new album yet, other than the single "Heartbreak Warfare", which I like. I saw him in concert for the Continuum tour a few years back.

sodascouts
01-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Yes, I seem to remember you saying you really liked him, and Maleah and tbs fanatic like him as well, if I recall correctly. What's your fave Mayer song?

MikeA
01-29-2010, 07:53 AM
JM is good. A genre that I dearly love (Blues) but he branches out a bit. I can't take his vocals....I can't understand him no matter how hard I try. But man, I LOVE his guitar!

TimothyBFan
01-29-2010, 09:43 AM
I actually think he is a very talented guitarist and for the most part, I like his vocals. I like his music from when he first started out more than the recent stuff. My favorite songs of his is Waiting On The World To Change & Your Body Is A Wonderland.

BUT-did anyone read this months Rolling Stone article about him? He's just a little weird! :hilarious: It makes for an interesting read if you get the chance.

Brooke
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I read it and I thought the same thing, TBF.

I keep thinking I'm going to listen to some of his music, but as of yet haven't done it. I do like Your Body Is A Wonderland and Waiting On The World also.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Well Brooke - I'm the same way. Every now and then, I hear something by him and think to myself I need to listen to some more of his work. Unfortunately, I've never gotten around to doing it, but I really like what I've heard of his voice - it's very unique.

Maleah
01-29-2010, 10:17 PM
LOVE John Mayer! In fact, I'm going to see him live in April and I can't wait! :thumbsup: He can definently come off a little weird in interviews, lol, but I honestly think a lot of it is to see what kind of reaction he can get. I get the impression from him that he doesn't take himself seriously at ALL and so he plays with people a lot to see if he can get them going. His youtube channel is hilarious, as are his tweets!

My favorite John Mayer song? I gotta say that recently it's been Heartbreak Warfare! LOVE that song so much. Love the melody, bass line, guitar, everything. Soda when he recorded his Battle Studies album, he said he wanted to evoke the feeling of Fleetwood Mac and Don Henley cd's in the 70's. ;) I also love "Gravity," especially the live version on his "Where The Light Is" 2 disc set. In addition, I love Vultures, 83, and Waiting on the World to Change. :)

eaglesvet
01-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Now you have my interest piqued about this Rolling Stone article...I'll have to make an effort to find it and read it. Not quite sure what I'm in for...:woah::spin:

Anyway, I saw JM on The Tonight Show (the Jay Leno incarnation :wink: ) a number of years back, in what I'm guessing was his first TV appearance. He was young and innocent (presumably!), and sang what would become his first hit single, No Such Thing, from his first studio album Room for Squares. I was completely entranced by his performance, and this song still is one of my very faves by him. And Mike, he is a great lyricist as well, as evidenced by some of my other favorites from this album---including My Stupid Mouth, 83, and Why Georgia (where he talks about his "quarter-life crisis," which always tickles my funny bone!) Other great songs from this album are Back to You and Great Indoors...wow, I guess it's all good!!

I also really love his next two studio albums, Heavier Things and Continuum. He showcases a lot of variation in his musical style between them, from pop to rock to blues. Here's where I differ from the majority of you above. I don't care as much for the radio-overplayed hits you've mentioned. On HT, give me Split Screen Sadness, Bigger than my Body, or Home Life. From Continuum, I'd rather hear Stop this Train, Dreaming with a Broken Heart, or Gravity. I think if you'd give the albums a listen in their entirety (reading the lyrics when necessary!), you'd discover a musician with broad-ranging talent and style. And I also think he is pretty easy on the eyes, although he does make some weird faces when he sings. I guess he is just "getting into" the vocals. :)

I haven't yet heard the newest album, nor even the last (live) album...but I'm sure I'd like them. And I agree with Maleah. I do think he is playing with the public at times, simply because he can.

MikeA
01-30-2010, 09:51 AM
EV and all the rest here:

I didn't mean he was a bad lyricist. I just can't understand the words when he sings. I have no trouble understanding him when he is talking. But if I had to state what one of his songs was about after "only" listening to it, I'd be in deep trouble.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to him. I'll go out of my way to watch or listen to him Play. I just wish my ear fit his vocals better. It's not a pitch thing. He obviously sings well.

I have that trouble when talking with clients from UK on the phone too. I can communicate with them but it takes me a bit to switch gears and really concentrate on listening. When we first start a conversation, it sounds like GREEK or something. It's not of course. It's just that my brain is slow to adjust to the enunciation. It's something like that with Mayer except that I don't adjust fast enough to be able to understand what he's saying when he's singing.

That was a LOT more information than was needed here <LOL>. My defense is Youth and Long Faithful Service!

eaglesvet
01-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Mike, I knew that was what you meant...that you literally couldn't make out what he was saying when he was singing. The age-old complaint of every parent about their kids' music, right?!? I was just stating that if you were indeed able to understand his vocals--whether he could enunciate more clearly, or if you were reading the lyric booklet, or whatever--you would find that his lyrics are often very clever and well-thought-out; and that is one of the reasons I really like him. It was immediately noticeable to me on his very first album, especially on the songs that I mentioned. I was simply adding that compliment to your praise of his guitar work.:)

EasyFeeling
01-31-2010, 02:43 PM
I've heard a few songs and I liked it.

In case you don't know Keith Urban and John Mayer played together for a CMT Crossroads episode this week. Should be interesting. :thumbsup:

http://g2th.com/?p=77cbea

eaglesvet
01-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Oooh, two of my favorite singers...EF, please let me know if you hear of an air date for that show! Me thinks it should be a hot one to watch!

EasyFeeling
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Ok, as soon as I have any news I will post it here. Is anyone able to tape the show? I can't watch the CMT programme. :shrug:

sodascouts
02-01-2010, 01:02 PM
My DVD-R seems to not want to record anymore. Piece of crap! Hopefully someone else can.

EasyFeeling
02-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Too bad, Soda. But I think someone in the Keith forum will capture the show. Hopefully.

EasyFeeling
06-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Keith and John's http://www.cmt.com/shows/ special airs on Friday, June 18 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on CMT.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks EF - unfortunately, I'm not going to be home to catch that. Maybe they'll rerun it later.

sodascouts
06-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Good deal. Thanks!

Prettymaid
06-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the heads-up!

Can't you record it Dreamer?

EasyFeeling
06-14-2010, 02:17 PM
The show will maybe streamed on CMT :partytime: Hopefully I'll have access from outside the USA.

Here's a little teaser, both performing Sweet Thing... awesome guitar playing, love it!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20390827,00.html

Prettymaid
06-14-2010, 09:14 PM
That was very enjoyable, thanks!

MikeA
09-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I didn't think this was worthy of a new thread and didn't know where else to post it. This was as good as any.

John Mayer quit Twitter. Really not funny. Really didn't stir me at all. A little strange though as he had 3.5 million followers. Said he was hanging it up to go into the studio and work on an album and would keep fans updated via blog.

There was no sorrow expressed in the comments about the notice. Mostly: "Who Cares" type things.

sodascouts
09-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Considering the amount of tweeting he did, that's gonna open up a lot of time for him, I think!

A pity, though, in the sense that he's quite witty and it made a lot of fans feel connected to him.

eaglesvet
09-15-2010, 08:29 AM
A bit late...but I did see John in concert in August, and he was great. The warm-up band was Train, whom I thought I might like, and I did. The lead singer, Pat Monahan, is very charismatic, and they actually have more hits than I realized were theirs over the previous few years. And can I make this tie into an Eagles message board?? Why, of course! Towards the end of the show, John (joined by Pat) played an awesome version of Boys of Summer on a hot summer night--too cool!!:smokin:

MikeA
09-15-2010, 08:58 AM
I hope I didn't come across all that negative about Mayer. I actually do sort of Like his music....but something about his vocals come up lacking for me personally. I quite simply cannot understand him. My ear doesn't align with his method of communication. I don't hear many others stating that so I presume it is a fault of MINE rather than his.

The kid CAN play guitar though! That I LIKE!

Brooke
09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
A bit late...but I did see John in concert in August, and he was great. The warm-up band was Train, whom I thought I might like, and I did. The lead singer, Pat Monahan, is very charismatic, and they actually have more hits than I realized were theirs over the previous few years. And can I make this tie into an Eagles message board?? Why, of course! Towards the end of the show, John (joined by Pat) played an awesome version of Boys of Summer on a hot summer night--too cool!!:smokin:

That would have been a great concert, ev! I love some of Train's songs, too, especially Hey Soul Sister, Drops of Jupiter, and Calling All Angels. Btw, welcome back!

eaglesvet
09-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Train has an older song called "Meet Virginia" that I really like. Also their newest single. "If it's Love" is cool. That might have been the song where Pat left the stage and went around the entire amphitheater, singing and interacting with the crowd. It made for a very long, crowd-pleasing song! I would say that Train was probably the best opening band I've ever seen, and definitely had the biggest crowd response! And then when John came out-- well, he was practically in his own backyard playing in Jersey, and by his stage banter we could see he used that fact to his advantage! He talked about how he could tell he was finally in the NY/NJ area again--no one pulls any punches when they talk, they just lay it all out on the line. And then he would say something in a heavy New Yawk/Brooklyn accent, and crack us all up. I don't know if I can remember any specifics, but if so, I'll post later.

sodascouts
09-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Oooh, Train! I love them! "Drops of Jupiter" is an absolutely amazing song.
And Boys of Summer... what more could you want???

As I like Mayer too, I think it would have been a fun show to attend.

Maleah
09-15-2010, 11:55 PM
John is AWESOME live! As for Boys of Summer..... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SObayOgmI04

I love how as soon as John plays those first recognizable guitar notes, most of the crowd seems to instantly recognize it and sing along with John/Pat. I actually think John sounds much better on the song than Pat, at least in this version. I also like how John adds his own touch/sound to it.

Poor audio, different crowd, but again, you can hear the crowd instantly recognize the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL2tA2xkHg0

sodascouts
09-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Posted one of their collaborations in the Keith Urban thread, but I gotta post one in here too. ;) Our Dire Straits fans will recognize this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXiBhLE-e9Y

Freypower
09-02-2011, 06:43 PM
OK.... while I think they captured the song's essential spirit, it was a bit too 'grungy', although I can understand them wanting to 'rough it up' a bit. I didn't think Keith's vocal part worked as well as John's. You forget how iconic the guitar work in the song is sometimes. I give it a pass.

Topkat
05-10-2013, 11:40 AM
I didn't realize what a kick ass guitar player John Mayer really is...He played at Clapton's Crossroads show in NY & I have seen him do some other guest appearances & he's really good. I don't have any of his music, but I'm going to look into it. Personally I don't know that much about him.

WalshFan88
05-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Great guitar player. His pop songs get on my nerves though... If I never have to hear "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room" ever again I'd be much happy.

He needs to do more blues with his trio and less pop. Pop music of today ain't all that and a bag of chips. Old pop music rocked...

Prettymaid
05-10-2013, 09:00 PM
I think we'd better start a thread...

sodascouts
05-10-2013, 09:05 PM
There's one already. I'll move the posts.

Prettymaid
05-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I am an uninformed fan of John's. I would hear one of his songs on the radio station we play at work, and I realized I really like his voice.

The songs I've purchased are:

Daughters
Dreaming With a Broken Heart
Gravity
Half of My Heart
Shadow Days
Stop This Train

bluefox4000
05-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Love John.....Bit of a tool, but I still love him. Awesome player. Continuum is Easily my fav album of the past decade.:smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GZ3suxRn4

One of my fav performances.

Mick