What are some songs that make you cry?

Mine are

Don't Forget to Remember Me- Carrie Underwood

Allison Krauss's version of When You Say Nothing at All

Skin ( Sarabeth) - Rascal Flatts

Independence Day- Martina Mcbride

Maleah
02-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Some off the top of my head that I can think of. I'm sure I'll add more later. lol

Heart of the Matter - Don Henley
Go Rest High On That Mountain - Vince Gill
God Hears - Russ Lee
This One's With Me - Newsong
Homesick - MercyMe
I Can Only Imagine - MercyMe
Only A Man - Jonny Lang
Broken - Scott Stapp
Permanent - David Cook
The Baby - Blake Shelton
Believe - Brooks & Dunn
I Miss You A Little - John Michael Montgomery
The Promise - The Martins
It's Your World Now - Eagles
You Are Not Alone - Eagles
Holes In The Floor of Heaven - Steve Wariner
Angels - Sarah McLachlan

Freypower
02-08-2010, 06:18 PM
It depends what mood I am in. Some songs that I absolutely love will never make me cry. Sometimes I will be taken by surprise and find myself choking up unexpectedly.

I can say that pretty much every song from Dire Straits' Making Movies album has 'got' to me at some stage, even my least favourite track, Les Boys, because of the lines 'drive in their Mercedes Benz/to a disco bar in old Munchen' (it is very evocative). I can also say that about some of the tracks from Brothers In Arms, particularly the title track and Why Worry. Similarly with solo songs like Sailing To Philadelphia - that gets me where it hurts, every time.

As far as the Eagles are concerned I can be moved to tears by No More Cloudy Days quite often. I would say the same about You Are Not Alone, It's Your World Now and I Love To Watch A Woman Dance. Lyin' Eyes can occasionally make me cry if I get really swept away by it.

Others would include Carry That Weight & The End by the Beatles and occasionally good ol' Stairway To Heaven and possibly Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

sodascouts
02-08-2010, 09:15 PM
A lot of religious songs make me cry, but I'll limit this to pop/rock:

Christmas Shoes - Newsong
Baby Blue - George Strait
The Living Years - Mike and the Mechanics
Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
Think of Laura - Christopher Cross
Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
All By Myself - Eric Carmen
If He's Ever Near - Karla Bornoff
The Last in Love - JD Souther
Cats in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
Touched by an Angel - Stevie Nicks
Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You - Stevie Nicks
One - U2
Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood
Without You - Harry Nilsson
Angel - Sarah McLachlan

Eagles ones:
Song for Emma - Joe Walsh
Part of Me Part of You - Glenn Frey
Heart of the Matter - Don Henley

ticky
02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Joe's Song for Emma gets me every time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUYdGe70hBs
So does Tears in Heaven By Eric Clapton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3UB5Fr80SM
and In The Arms Of The Angels by Sarah McLachlan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbkz_3lO3c

Koala
02-09-2010, 02:15 AM
A lot of songs bring me to cry:

Here comes the Flood - Peter Gabriel
Tears in Haeven - Eric Clapton
Living Years - Mike & the Mechanics
Since I Lost You - Genesis
Biko - Peter Gabriel
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Philadelphia - Neil Young
Trouble - Cat Stevens

....and still a lot of other songs!

TimothyBFan
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
One of the list in my Music Listography book was the Saddest songs. They don't always make me cry but... Here's what I have.

Boondocks -Little Big Town (yes I know it's a country song-but it reminds me of home when I was a kid)
Grandpa -The Judds (another country tune-played at my Dad's funeral)
Tears In Heaven -Eric Clapton
Wish You Were Here -Pink Floyd
Cat's In The Cradle -Harry Chapin
Eleanor Rigby -The Beatles
A Change Is Gonna Come -Sam Cooke
The Needle And The Damage Done -Neil Young (reminds me of a friend)
Tuesday's Gone -Lynyrd Skynyrd
Simple Man -Lynyrd Skynyrd

I also cry at times when I hear the National Anthem, America or the Marine Corps Hymn.

There are songs that I cry when I hear if I'm in a melancholy mood also.
I cried each time I saw How Long live in concert -not because it's sad but because I was so FRICKIN' happy!!

sodascouts
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
This is a special circumstance, but this song made me cry pretty hard when Bette Midler performed it right after 9/11 for a crowd of New Yorkers including rescue workers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NXYNvqp_pM

And speaking of Superbowl performances in another thread, this is the only halftime show that ever made me cry, again after 9/11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13CU-NvPMU

Brooke
02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Lots of songs make me cry.

Just a few off the top of my head:

Heart of the Matter-Don
The Rose-Bette Midler
Tears in Heaven-Eric Clapton
Simple Man-Lynyrd Skynyrd
Grandpa-The Judds
In the Arms of Angels-Sarah McLachlan
Go Rest High on That Mountain-Vince Gill
Look At Us-Vince Gill
Without You-Nillson
I Need You-America

and many, many more. I'm a cryer!

Molly
02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Why -Rascall Flatts -this song doesn't just make me cry-it makes me sob

You Can Let Go -Crystal Shawanda
Just a Dream -Carrie Underwood
Tears in Heaven - Clapton
Desperado -Eagles
When I Get to Where I'm Going -Brad Paisley
Stay -Sugarland
The End of the World - Skeeter Davis
Three Wooden Crosses - Randy Travis
Cryin' For Me - Toby Keith
I Don't Believe You - Pink

Maleah
02-09-2010, 06:35 PM
You guys have reminded me of a lot of ones that I agree with!

Soda, I completely forgot about Celine Dion! "Because You Loved Me" makes me cry every single time, but the song that REALLY makes me absolutely bawl of hers is "Goodbye's The Saddest Word."

Some other ones that you all mentioned that I had forgotten:

When I Get Where I'm Going - Brad Paisley/Dolly Parton
One - U2
Where The Streets Have No Name - U2 (superbowl performance)
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton
Christmas Shoes - Newsong
Arise My Love - Newsong

And Willie, I was the same way with How Long :thumbsup:

Brooke
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Thought of a couple more:

Something to Believe In-Poison
Fountain of Sorrow-Jackson Browne
Sky Blue and Black-JB

Stars
02-09-2010, 11:46 PM
The first two that spring to mind that make me cry every time are:
1. "Keep Me In Your Heart-Warren Zevon
2. "On and On and On"-Wilco

Warren's song was written for his last album, "The Wind", and it was the last one he wrote before the album was released. Sadly, he passed away not long after that.
Wilco's song was written by lead singer and songwriter Jeff Tweedy. He wrote the song to comfort his dad, shortly after his mother passed away.

I can never listen to either of these songs without tearing up.

bernie's bender
02-13-2010, 10:43 PM
I can't make you love me - Bonnie Raitt (I love the version by Mike Reid too)

The Water is Wide - James Taylor

Late for the Sky - Jackson Browne

I'll Never Have the Heart to Leave This Town - Mike Reid

Mrs Frey
02-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Reading through your posts, I see "Tears In Heaven" appears on a few lists. It didn't pop immediately to my mind, but it certainly has made me cry too. I haven't listened to it in a while, but it will be hard, because I can relate to it now.

Songs make me cry for different reasons, and like FP, it depends on the mood or frame of mind I'm in. It could be the subject matter of the song, it could be the way the performer is singing it, and it could be about the performer him/herself, regarding the significance the song has to the performer. It could also be the personal significance a song has for me.

A few songs I can think of at the top of my head are as follows:

What Now My Love (Elvis Presley)
An American Trilogy (Elvis Presley)
Love (John Lennon)
Here Today (Paul McCartney)
The Girl From Yesterday (Eagles)
The Heart Of The Matter (Don Henley/Eagles)
Tears In Heaven (Eric Clapton)
Unchained Melody (The Righteous Brothers)
Vincent (Don McLean)
Stardust (Nat 'King' Cole)
Dance With My Father (Luther Vandross)

sodascouts
02-15-2010, 12:30 PM
"Keep Me In Your Heart-Warren Zevon

That one makes me cry, too!

Freypower
02-15-2010, 10:20 PM
I need to know ..... everybody is moved to tears by Tears In Heaven. I am not. I know very well what it is about, but unfortunately I find the song rather mawkish. How terrible to say that. :worried:

I notice a couple of others that I agree with and I will add a couple more to prove that my heart isn't made of stone:

An American Trilogy - Elvis Presley
Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley (this is not a happy song - it tells of deep, dark despair).
Biko - Peter Gabriel
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Love Of My Life - Queen
A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke
Rainy Days & Mondays - Carpenters

But I might be more likely to cry at my favourite lines of poetry, or I might get angry, particularly at this part of my favourite poem, Yeats' The Second Coming:

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity

and I could quote the Shakespearean stuff that makes me cry for the rest of the day. :blush:

EagleLady
02-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Hmm, I thought Tears in Heaven was incredibly moving. I suppose some songs no matter how tragic the circumstances simply don't move people.

Freypower
02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes, the circumstances were tragic. Yes, the song is moving.

However, it is not compulsory for me to feel exactly the same way others feel about it. I decided to offer a dissenting opinion. That is all, EL, OK?

And I DID say 'how terrible to say that' because I was well aware how it could be perceived.

bernie's bender
02-16-2010, 02:51 AM
I need to know ..... everybody is moved to tears by Tears In Heaven. I am not. I know very well what it is about, but unfortunately I find the song rather mawkish. How terrible to say that.

I think it is fair. Nothing terrible in sharing what you feel and think.

Some folks hate the song "danny boy"... but, in the right context (oh say 2 am at Lefty's in SF after a Giant game when the bar is full of fans about to go home and the singer/pianist begins singing it... and the bar joins in... it is pretty overwhelming and not corny.

At yankee stadium after a close win, the stands are electric and Sinatra starts in with NY NY... oh man!

or at the end of Giants games when Tony Bennett wafts along the water... it is as though you might float away!

not everything moves every one. i think that is beautiful, not shameful.

I remember in my youth I had a record and when I would put it on, my best friend would come into the living room and say, "oh boy, rp, where are you heading to." I always played it when I'd had enough and was ready to leave... the song? Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell. Tons of people think it is the corniest song of all time... for me, it is my soul....

I've found that you like what you like and while it is good to examine the why's and wherefore's... it is cool to like what you like.

Mrs Frey
02-16-2010, 04:14 AM
I've found that you like what you like and while it is good to examine the why's and wherefore's... it is cool to like what you like.

I couldn't agree more, BB.

Freypower
02-16-2010, 07:02 PM
I think it is fair. Nothing terrible in sharing what you feel and think.

Some folks hate the song "danny boy"... but, in the right context (oh say 2 am at Lefty's in SF after a Giant game when the bar is full of fans about to go home and the singer/pianist begins singing it... and the bar joins in... it is pretty overwhelming and not corny.

At yankee stadium after a close win, the stands are electric and Sinatra starts in with NY NY... oh man!

or at the end of Giants games when Tony Bennett wafts along the water... it is as though you might float away!

not everything moves every one. i think that is beautiful, not shameful.

I remember in my youth I had a record and when I would put it on, my best friend would come into the living room and say, "oh boy, rp, where are you heading to." I always played it when I'd had enough and was ready to leave... the song? Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell. Tons of people think it is the corniest song of all time... for me, it is my soul....

BB, three strikes for you with which I could not agree more if I tried - Danny Boy for all of us with Irish ancestry, New York New York for those of us who love that city, and Wichita Lineman because it's one of the greatest songs of all time (though my favourite Glen Campbell song is Galveston, which I cannot believe I didn't include in my list).

And as you mentioned New York New York at Yankee Stadium (what a thought)! I suppose I should say that even watching on TV, You'll Never Walk Alone, when sung by the Liverpool faithful at Anfield, is one of the most mesmeric sounds of all time, and I cry at it every time I hear it.

bernie's bender
02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
"Galveston" was really the first anti-war song on Country Radio back in the day... I did that song with a little tiny (physically, she was about 4'9") girl at a talent show in college... a couple of years after the withdrawl and you could have heard a pin drop.

She didn't win (our regular band won with an original about a specifically interesting character on campus... we called it the 'suc' song) but, I may still have a recording of it... I have a recording of another guy I backed... it was (at the time) a really great song... I can still sing it (even with some pretty awkward lyrics) so, it must have made an impression... the same girl used to sing "Silver Dagger" and "Circle Game" and just kill me, I couldn't speak when she was done... Andy was a cutie!

Stars
02-17-2010, 12:29 AM
I thought of another song that makes me cry, "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce. I had just seen Jim in concert about a month before his tragic plane crash. Every time I hear that song I think about how much I enjoyed that concert, and what a terrible loss that was. His beautiful songs will live on forever...

bernie's bender
02-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Stars,

Have you heard "Stars" by Dan Fogelberg... that one and "Be on your way" by him just kill me! To the Morning is usually the one people go with or the dreaded "old lang syne" but the first two are ones to make your heart swell...

as they say in the old Tom Waits song "emotional weather report"... 'rain is expected.'

Prettymaid
02-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Stars, it sounds to me as if you got to see the exact same people in concert that I would have liked to - first John Denver, now Jim Croce.
You lucky girl!

Stars
02-17-2010, 08:47 AM
BB, I have not heard "Stars" and "Be on your way" by Dan Fogelberg-I'll have to check them out! Thank you. I have heard "Longer", and that is another one that makes me cry. That song just cropped up the other day in a movie I was watching, "About Schmidt".
PM, I feel so blessed to have seen both John Denver and Jim Croce in concert. They were both so wonderful, and I still enjoy their music so much. There is an Eagles connection with Jim Croce-he was opening for Poco!! I remember feeling so lucky to see two wonderful performances that night. I don't recall if Timothy was with Poco that night though. This was 1973. Do any of the Tim fans know if he was still with the band in August or September 1973?:?:

bernie's bender
02-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Yep. Tim was in Poco in 73.

TimothyBFan
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
There is an Eagles connection with Jim Croce-he was opening for Poco!! I remember feeling so lucky to see two wonderful performances that night. I don't recall if Timothy was with Poco that night though. This was 1973. Do any of the Tim fans know if he was still with the band in August or September 1973?:?:

Carla-you mean you saw that beautiful face and long mane in 1973 and didn't just go :shock: :drool: :inlove: :faint:? Because if I had seen him prior to the day I opened up the gatefold of Long Run-I know I would have! :hilarious:

Troubadour
02-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Birds - Neil Young

EagleLady
02-17-2010, 02:11 PM
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues by Sir Elton

Stars
02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
TBF, sadly, I can't remember what any of the individual members of Poco looked like,when I saw them in 1973!:-( However, I do remember loving the concert-thought Poco and also Jim Croce were awesome! I remember going with the man who had just become my hubby! He enjoyed the concert a lot too.:thumbsup:

ticky
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Here's one that Mrs. Frey posted but there was no video for it. It gets me every time.
Vincent by Don McLean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

I love Vincent Van Gogh's work and just some of it and bring me to tears.. but this song combined with his works, well.. Im sniffly

Here's another that gets to me...
Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBH_O1-7ZiU

sodascouts
02-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Oh, "Leader of the Band" gets to me, too!

Prettymaid
02-22-2010, 06:55 PM
I must have a heart made of stone. No song alone (that I can think of) makes me cry. It takes other things being thrown into the mix. For example, I don't cry when I hear Sarah McLaughlin's Angel, but I cry when it's played during the movie City of Angels with Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage.

Freypower
02-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Days - either the Kinks' original or Kirsty MacColl's beautiful cover. It reminds me of my late father.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOKWqtocXWs

EagleLady
02-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Drive by The Cars. That Haunting melody and those lyrics. I start bawling everytime I hear it

EagleLady
02-23-2010, 01:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTjzZzfR7w

TimothyBFan
02-23-2010, 08:43 AM
OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EL-you don't even want to get me started about this song (tho It's never made me cry), this group or most especially the lead singer!!! This was the Cars biggest hit and for good reason. Along with Tim and Pagey, this is the only other man, other than my husband, I have truly lusted over! I know you've all heard me go on about him before. This man's voice just sends me into euphoria!! Truly was a very talented man who died way way way to young. Love & miss you Benjamin Orr!!!! RIP!

Thanks for posting that--I really haven't watched it for quite awhile and it was really good seeing it again.

BTW--just a couple little facts about this video--The woman in it is Paulina Porizkova. This was the first time she had ever met Ric Ocasek of The Cars. They have been married since 1989. Pretty cool! The video was directed by Timothy Hutton, the actor.

Stars
02-23-2010, 09:21 AM
The Wings that Fly Us Home-John Denver
Not one of his best known songs, but certainly one of his most beautiful and touching ones.:heart:

Outlawman13
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
The one that still makes me cry (to this day) is The Cure's Same Deep Water As You. I have no idea why, but the way Robert sings it makes me teary eyed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKC139q4q8k

sodascouts
03-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Haven't heard that one in a while!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I have to go with our guys on this one. Hole In the World gets me every time.

Victim of Love
03-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Because You Loved Me -- Celine Dion. Reminds me of my Dad and grandparents who were the most encouraging, supportive individuals in the world. I miss them all so much and I crumple every time I hear that song.

Also, To Where You Are -- Josh Grobin. Makes me think of my Dad who passed six years ago this month. Can reduce me to tears before the singing even starts.

prayfordaylight
03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Two Christine McVie/Fleetwood Mac songs: Songbird and All Over Again (I haven't listened to the latter in well over a decade because of it)

And several songs on The Who's "Quadrophenia" but only really when I hear them in concert.

TimothyBFan
03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Isn't funny how a song that you've heard for over 30 years and not thought much about suddenly reduces you to tears after not hearing it for years because of an event(s) in your life that all of a sudden the song reminds you of?

This is mine from just recently. Hadn't heard it in years and one day about 6 months or so ago, it came on the 70s channel--- the part at 1:16 where he's questioning his belief in God was bad enough because it's something I've been struggling with for several years because of some losses in my life that seemed meaningless & cruel, but when the part at 2:44 started, I was reduced to complete sobbing when he's talking about losing his father and his mom taking it so hard and finally losing her from heartbreak also---- That is my parents COMPLETELY! Lost them both within 4 years of each other and I will always maintain that my Mom died from a broken heart.

Here it is-with lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rzh_rv7yI4

Freypower
03-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Here's To Life hasn't made me cry yet but it can't be long before it does.

Troubadour
03-04-2013, 06:33 PM
:hug: Willie

This song always makes me cry.

http://youtu.be/ToQ0n3itoII

Molly
03-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Every time I hear Rascal Flatt's "Why", I think, "OK, this time I'm going to make it all the way thru without crying".

Hasn't happened yet. That last verse does me in every time. For my brother...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiEKP7B0W4M&feature=player_detailpage

Jimmy Wayne's "I Love You This Much". It's autobiographical, which makes it especially touching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoLFISIdH8g&feature=player_detailpage

EagleLady
03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Rascal Flatts' Skin(Sarabeth) Gets me everytime

TimothyBFan
03-05-2013, 09:25 AM
pueblo47 and I were talking about this subject and she mentioned the song for her is Go Rest High On The Mountain by Vince Gill because it reminds her of her Mom. Ironically, this was one of the songs we had played at my Mom's funeral because it was a favorite of hers also. As I watched this video, the tears started so apparently it makes me cry still also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXrmAKBBTU

Now do we have a thread for songs that make you extremely happy because I really, really like that better? :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Definitely a tear-jerker!

Maica56
03-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Hello!
I am from Barcelona, Spain, and I have find out this forum today. My father is a fanatic of Eagles, so crying with their music it's something very usual for me. I couldn't choose only one song :sad:

Congrats for the forum. It's an easy way to be connected with good music!

Maica.
descuento (http://eldescuento.com/)

Brooke
03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Welcome to The Border, Maica!

TBF, that Vince Gill song is definitely one for me.

Also, I cannot listen to Jackson Browne's Late For the Sky or Sky Blue and Black without tearing up. They are so beautiful.

SallyGee
03-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Sunshine On My Shoulders by John Denver always brings tears to my eyes. I guess because I really do love sunshine and nature. Not to be morbid, but I want that played at my funeral.

pueblo47
03-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Sunshine On My Shoulders by John Denver always brings tears to my eyes. I guess because I really do love sunshine and nature. Not to be morbid, but I want that played at my funeral.

This was played at my father's funeral. It was his favorite song.

My parents died within 6 months of each other. You'd think their song choices would be from WW2, not their kids' generations. Shows how powerful and meaningful our music is to reach out across the years. Just sayin'.....

zeldabjr
03-05-2013, 11:53 PM
have to say the first song that came to mind is "Ribbon In The Sky" by Stevie Wonder...reminds me of an old love...always tear up when I hear it...

VillageGirl
04-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Do you guys have any songs that make you tear up even if you're in a great mood and all is well?
I don't consider myself overly sensitive, but there are a few that always get me.

The worst for me is Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. The circumstances surrounding that song make it even sadder.

Sara Smile by Hall and Oates is another one.

I know ABBA is kind of a cheesy group, but The Winner Takes it All[U] is so depressing regarding the situation surrounding it. Also [U]When All is Said and Done can leave you feeling pretty raw.

Randy's Heartsong is up there, as is Vince Gill's Go Rest High Upon that Mountain as he composed that for his brother's untimely death.

And for some reason, TITTL has a melancholy undertone for me. I love the song. It is probably one of my favorite, if not my favorite Eagles song, but when I hear it I detect a hint of sadness in his voice. Probably just me.

But play Tears in Heaven and I am all done!

You guys? I would to know if you have any songs that you have to take a coffee break when they come on the radio at work :weep:

WS82Classics
04-09-2016, 08:36 AM
I don't really lose it to songs the way I used to, but here's a few that always stir up my emotions:

"Fire and Rain" by James Taylor was in my head the night I learned my best friend met his untimely end. While I handle that song a lot better than I did even a couple of years ago, a lot of those melancholy feelings still linger every time I hear that song.

"High Hopes" by Pink Floyd has always stirred me up. Not entirely sure of why. Same goes for "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell.

"More Than a Feeling" by Boston, while a song I like a lot, is one that reminds me of a female classmate upon whom I have a most potent crush. I can sing/shout that one from the gut with conviction.

That's all I can think of right now. BTW, I can't take "Tears in Heaven," either. :-)

Prettymaid
04-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Here's the original thread.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2279&highlight=Songs+make+cry

VillageGirl
04-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Oops! My bad. Sorry about that. I would try to merge the threads, but I don't know how :doh:

Prettymaid
04-09-2016, 11:24 AM
No big deal. I'm sure a moderator can do it for us. :)

Jonny Come Lately
04-09-2016, 04:24 PM
I'm quite pleased this topic has come up, because I definitely have a couple that I can add. Two in particular stand out - I absolutely love both of these songs, but they both well and truly make me lose it!

I'm glad High Hopes has already been mentioned, as I have to admit I am absolutely hopeless when listening to this song. I'm just about okay until it gets to the final chorus, but when it gets to the 'dawn mist glowing' line I totally lose it and feel all emotional throughout David's wonderful slide solo that follows. I'm not quite sure why this is, but I think it's because it was Pink Floyd's final act as a band (I still think it is, as I feel The Endless River is an epilogue, rather than a true new chapter in the Pink Floyd story), and therefore when I hear the final lines and the solo I always think about all the brilliant music that came before it, especially as 'the endless river, forever and ever' lines recall the carefree innocence of the Syd Barrett-era single See Emily Play.

The one that really gets me is Fleetwood Mac's Silver Springs. It's the end that does it to me. Hearing Stevie sing 'I'll follow you down til the sound of my voice will haunt you' and 'You will never get away from the sound of the woman that loves you' basically reduces me to a weepy little sap every time. I really can't explain this one except for saying that hearing that voice singing those words overwhelms me.

There are a lot of other songs that really do move me a lot, if I have a bit of time I'll try to make a decent list, but I have to be especially careful about listening to the two above songs over all others in anything other than my own company - I have listened to them both on train journeys, but I usually only do it if I'm not sitting next to someone, just in case I can't control myself.

Gemini
04-09-2016, 04:48 PM
My two are Harry Chapin singing Cat's in the Cradle and Sarah McLachlan's Angel. They get me every time.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-09-2016, 04:55 PM
I went ahead and merged the two threads.

Just a few songs that make me tear up are Because You Loved Me and My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion and Elton John's version of Candle in the Wind that he rewrote for Princess Diana's funeral.

And most recently, Part of Me, Part of You and It's Your World Now.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
04-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Sometimes even Peaceful Easy Feeling will get to me now.

Prettymaid
04-09-2016, 05:28 PM
As I replied on page 4 back in 2010, there is really no song by itself that makes me cry. It's usually a song at an event (I've teared up during The Star Spangled Banner at sporting events) or in a movie (Have a Little Faith in Me during the dying scene in Phenomenon gets me every time).

Freypower
04-09-2016, 06:25 PM
JCL, I adore Silver Springs.

I thought in January I was going to cry at some of the songs I put in my In Memoriam playlist. I didn't.

However there is a song by Tony Banks called I'll Be Waiting which I used in my signature last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KndqlzozMM4

I suppose Fading Lights & Since I Lost You by Genesis would qualify.

NOLA
04-09-2016, 06:44 PM
I cannot listen to "What Do I Do with My Heart" anymore! I just can't. The song reduces me to a sobbing hot mess, and I'm totally helpless to do anything about it. It's like a stab right through the heart - a reminder of what I felt like the minute I found out about Glenn.

Add to that, the line that Don sings, "I'll love you 'til death do us part," drops me to my freakin' knees. It sounds like he's singing it personally about losing Glenn! :weep: :cry: :(

buffyfan145
04-09-2016, 08:22 PM
A lot that have been mentioned I totally tear up listening to too. Vince Gill's "Go Rest High" has even more meaning for me since my Grandpa passed away last year. He requested that play as the final song at his memorial service as he loved that song. We all were crying during it but sang along, and then right after it ended a train whistle blew, which my Grandpa loved trains, so we all knew that was a sign from him. :heart: Another that now reminds me of my Grandpa (and my other Grandpa who's still here) and makes me tear up is The Judds' "Grandpa".

James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" gets me too as I'm just reminded of one of best friends that died five years ago in a car accident. Paul McCartney's "Here Today" does too for the same reason.

Others I cry hearing are Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" and a newer country song "You Should be Here" by Cole Swindell, since he wrote it about his dad dying recently. And now "Desperado" too.

WS82Classics
04-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Getting personal for a moment, Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer," one of my favourites of his, reminds me of the sweetest young girl I knew for two days in the Summer of 2012. I was at an Adult Education facility for my GED tests when I met her. We started talking and hit it off immediately, and it seemed we could, at the very least, become fast friends.

Of course, circumstance and fate intervened, and members of her family picked her up right as I was about to initiate some sort of exchange of contact information in the hopes of staying in touch. I never saw or spoke to her again, and never again did I feel the same kind of hopefulness for my future that I did on those two days.

A couple of years after I met her, I discovered her Facebook profile and saw the lecherous men with whom she was associating, one of whom she was married to. It was all so sad and dismaying to see her in such an obviously sorry state of affairs. I would try to send her a friend request later in the year, but by this point she'd long ago forgotten about me.

I always felt that, when all the users, abusers, and Sunshine Patriots("Boys of Summer," if you will) were gone, I would still adore and care about her. To this day, when I think about her, I always have the fondest and warmest feelings. I know full well it is all for naught, though.

That one more than occasionally stirs me up. Also think of her when I hear "Rio" by Duran Duran, though that one brings happier memories to the forefront.

Other emotionally stirring songs, to varying degrees, are "Desperado," "I Wish You Peace," "My Man,"(reminds me of my late friend) and "The Sad Cafe" by the Eagles, "The Crystal Ship" and "Wishful Sinful" by the Doors, "Darling, Be Home Soon" by the Lovin' Spoonful, “Gimme Shelter” by the Rolling Stones, “All You Need is Love” by the Beatles, “Imagine” by John Lennon, “Time For Me to Fly” by REO Speedwagon(especially with Gary Richrath's passing last year), and "Your Wildest Dreams" by the Moody Blues(the last song ever played on my favourite radio station from youth).

WalshFan88
04-09-2016, 10:06 PM
There are a couple songs that do, but I'm having trouble remembering them all at the moment.

The one that comes to mind immediately is one that's been mentioned, but only in the context of when I first heard it. It's "Angel", from the ASPCA ads. I couldn't watch that commercial and it ruined the song for me as I can't escape that.

VillageGirl
04-10-2016, 12:31 AM
As soon as that ASPCA commercial and Sarah McLachlan's voice comes on, the channel changes.

Now I have a whole new bunch of songs to check out. I am sure I have heard quite a few of them, just not putting the song title to the song I have in my head.

Going to hold off for a few days though as I have a wake and funeral to attend over the next couple of days and I won't need any help in the tears department :cry:

sad-cafe
04-10-2016, 01:53 AM
Little Texas

"what might have been"

but it is personal-the reason I cry

WS82Classics
04-24-2016, 09:11 PM
Just thought of some more that have a way of getting me going, emotionally speaking...

"Wild Horses"-The Rolling Stones
"The Long and Winding Road"-The Beatles
"Tuesday's Gone"-Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Melissa"-The Allman Brothers Band
"Wasted Time"-The Eagles

AlreadyGone95
04-24-2016, 10:08 PM
These songs make/made me tear up because of my dad.

So Far Away-Carole King (I now know that this song is about a couple who are separated by distance, but as 11 year old, I didn't. After my dad died, this song always made me think of him because of the lyrics "It would be so fine to see your face at my door, Doesn't help to know you're just time away")

Wake Me Up When September Ends- Green Day (Billie Joe Armstrong wrote this song about his dad's passing when Billie was 10, so I can relate to it a whole lot)

Tears in Heaven- Eric Clapton (this is one of those songs that not only does the background of it get to you, but if you've lost a close loved one, the lyrics will, too)

Cats in the Cradle-Harry Chapin
American Pie- Don Mclean
Stairway to Heaven- Zeppelin

The above 3 songs were some my dad's favorites.I think of him when I hear them, and depending upon my mood, I have shed some tears.

I'll post others that get to me because of different reasons latet

NOLA
04-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Wake Me Up When September Ends- Green Day (Billie Joe Armstrong wrote this song about his dad's passing when Billie was 10, so I can relate to it a whole lot)

AG, this is also one of my tearjerker songs, but not for the same reason.
It served as my post-Katrina anthem. (Left NOLA a few days after the storm, and did not return until early October.) 😢

jms18222
04-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Wind Beneath My Wings. That was my parent's favorite song they danced to it on their 60th wedding anniversary. Mom had it sung during dad's funeral. I had to battle with the very same church to have it sung for mom's funeral. Different priest by then & he thought the song was too "racy" but I got it sung. I cry every time I hear it.

WS82Classics
04-25-2016, 09:47 PM
Bette Midler's other big hit "From a Distance" also stirs me up sometimes.

VillageGirl
04-27-2016, 12:15 PM
It never used to, but do to his death as well as listening to a man who was in a film about Prince explain his interpretation of it, Purple Rain makes me weep constantly. TITTL does too for some reason these days and I don't remember ever thinking it was a sad song. Maybe with all Randy has been through I am reading too much into it and should just chillax and enjoy one of my favorite Eagle songs :grooving:

zeldabjr
04-27-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm sure there are many...but the first one that popped into my mind was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...

DJ
04-27-2016, 08:42 PM
I love Somewhere Over The Rainbow, it does make me teary eyed....

I hear Ole' 55 now and cry......Sure miss Glenn's voice. :cry:

DJ
04-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Getting personal for a moment, Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer," one of my favourites of his, reminds me of the sweetest young girl I knew for two days in the Summer of 2012. I was at an Adult Education facility for my GED tests when I met her. We started talking and hit it off immediately, and it seemed we could, at the very least, become fast friends.

Of course, circumstance and fate intervened, and members of her family picked her up right as I was about to initiate some sort of exchange of contact information in the hopes of staying in touch. I never saw or spoke to her again, and never again did I feel the same kind of hopefulness for my future that I did on those two days.

A couple of years after I met her, I discovered her Facebook profile and saw the lecherous men with whom she was associating, one of whom she was married to. It was all so sad and dismaying to see her in such an obviously sorry state of affairs. I would try to send her a friend request later in the year, but by this point she'd long ago forgotten about me.

I always felt that, when all the users, abusers, and Sunshine Patriots("Boys of Summer," if you will) were gone, I would still adore and care about her. To this day, when I think about her, I always have the fondest and warmest feelings. I know full well it is all for naught, though.

That one more than occasionally stirs me up. Also think of her when I hear "Rio" by Duran Duran, though that one brings happier memories to the forefront.

Other emotionally stirring songs, to varying degrees, are "Desperado," "I Wish You Peace," "My Man,"(reminds me of my late friend) and "The Sad Cafe" by the Eagles, "The Crystal Ship" and "Wishful Sinful" by the Doors, "Darling, Be Home Soon" by the Lovin' Spoonful, “Gimme Shelter” by the Rolling Stones, “All You Need is Love” by the Beatles, “Imagine” by John Lennon, “Time For Me to Fly” by REO Speedwagon(especially with Gary Richrath's passing last year), and "Your Wildest Dreams" by the Moody Blues(the last song ever played on my favourite radio station from youth).

Speaking of old flames, I found out recently that my very first serious boyfriend died at age 37! So now everytime I hear "Money" by Pink Floyd I cry and think of him. That was one of his favorite songs. Funny story; he moved about 200 miles away while we were just starting to get serious. I had a speech/drama meet in his new town, and I ditched the award ceremony to be with him, of course Money was on the stereo. Oh such fond
memories. I think I'm so sad about him dying so very young. He was a great
person. :cry:

Brooke
04-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Fountain of Sorrow and Late for the Sky-Jackson Browne

Against the Wind and Like a Rock-Bob Seger

FWIW
04-28-2016, 06:57 PM
Jackson Browne's "Song For Adam" is one that comes to mind.

Another one is "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins, especially when it was first released because my college boyfriend was graduating and moving back east.

And like so many, hearing Glenn's voice now will often bring me to tears.

WS82Classics
05-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Against the Wind and Like a Rock-Bob Seger

ATW actually does make me tear up sometimes--Reminds me of both of my maternal grandparents, who have respectively been dead for 3 and 9 years, for some reason.

"We've Got Tonight" and "Turn the Page" sometimes affect me emotionally, as well.

Freypower
05-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child - Van Morrison

WS82Classics
05-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Was walking through a J & J's Foods earlier today and heard "As I Lay Me Down" by Sophie B. Hawkins, which, for a multitude of reasons, has been known to reduce me to waterworks(not this time, though).

Update: That bagpipes rendition of "Amazing Grace" does a number on me, as well.

Anna-M.
05-16-2016, 01:44 PM
I was listening to "Peaceful Easy Feeling" when I heard about Glenn's passing. Ever after, I cannot stop myself from crying whenever I hear the song.
But apart from that, the song awakens so many great memories inside me that I have to smile anyhow.

NightMistBlue
05-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Music moves me immensely but I rarely cry. I got very teary over "This Is the Day" by The The a few years ago, but that had more to do with hearing a song I hadn't heard for ages and it brought back a time in my life. Suddenly I realized how much time had gone by and .... :depressed:

DJ
05-18-2016, 12:32 PM
I've Got Friends in Low Places-Garth Brooks. Odd one yes but
It was played at my ex-husbands memorial. It just fit his life so
perfectly, made me cry like a baby.....

There are actually quite a few songs that bring back certain memories that
I cry to. Music is magical because It takes you back to a special place in your life when you heard the song and the circumstances surrounding the music.

LuvTim
05-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Time by Pink Floyd. Oh, how much time has gone by, how many fine souls have come and gone. :weep:

buffyfan145
05-19-2016, 10:36 AM
I was watching a Coldplay concert on TV and reminded me how I always tear up during both "Fix You" and oddly "The Scientist". I know with "Fix You" Chris wrote it about his wife at the time Gwyneth Paltrow losing her dad Bruce Paltrow. Also having seen various TV shows & movies use this song when they kill off a character and/or have a funeral scene I just associate it with that. Especially the line "Tears stream down your face when you lose something you can not replace." "The Scientist" is similar since their music video depicted a car accident and that song's been used a lot as well in fanvids for when a TV/film character dies but focusing on a relationship from the person left behind, and then after one of my close friends died in a car accident it makes me think of him too.

bluefeather
05-22-2016, 07:06 AM
I don't remember tearing up because of a song but the closest I've come to that is when listening to In My Life by the Beatles once a few years ago

WS82Classics
06-30-2016, 01:44 AM
"Expecting to Fly" by Buffalo Springfield overwhelms me. Every. Time.

Though it's fast become one of my all-time favourites, Harry Nilsson's "Without You" does make me emotional for a variety of reasons.

sodascouts
07-01-2016, 08:35 PM
I absolutely wept hearing "Leader of the Band" by Dan Fogelberg on Father's Day.

WS82Classics
10-03-2016, 10:23 PM
The mere thought of the song "Only Time" by Enya, let alone actually hearing it, will do it to me every time. That song was used in a 9/11 memorial video way back, and the associations and imagery still stick with me to this day as it regards that song.

sodascouts
10-09-2016, 06:43 PM
I got choked up listening to "Seven Years" by Lukas Graham the other day. Just reminds you of your mortality, as if we didn't have reminders enough. It also made me think of Glenn and the Eagles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHCob76kigA

Once I was seven years old my momma told me
Go make yourself some friends or you'll be lonely
Once I was seven years old

It was a big big world, but we thought we were bigger
Pushing each other to the limits, we were learning quicker
By eleven smoking herb and drinking burning liquor
Never rich so we were out to make that steady figure

Once I was eleven years old my daddy told me
Go get yourself a wife or you'll be lonely
Once I was eleven years old

I always had that dream like my daddy before me