PDA

View Full Version : The First Site I Ever Made

sodascouts
12-30-2006, 04:26 PM
This is purely for my own nostalgia, but I was doing some searching today and came across the first site I ever did. Let's just say my web design talents have improved a bit since then. It was for Sonny and Carly of General Hospital. I posted the lyrics to songs that applied to them, as suggested by fellow fans. When possible, I included... gasp... MIDIS! Hey, it was seven years ago. That was a big deal back then!

For the curious - courtesy of the WayBack machine (which means not all links will work):

http://web.archive.org/web/20010402020043/http://scjukebox.50megs.com/

Maleah
12-30-2006, 05:44 PM
You have come a long way! I am so impressed by your skills, seriously. I love the boards here, I love the site as a whole! You have done a great job! I know how difficult it can be to design sites sometimes! I've only actually designed one site for someone, it took me a while and it's still not great! :laugh: but hey....it gets the job done for them. :roll:

sodascouts
12-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Aw, thanks Maleah! It's nice of you to say so!

DonFan
12-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Nancy-
That was so cool. I can't believe you are a General Hospital fan too! Do you still watch it? I have literally watched GH for about 30 years, since the Luke & Laura first wedding days, when I would try not to schedule my college classes at 2 p.m. so I could come back to the dorm and watch it.

Luke and Sonny have always been my favorite men on the show. I actually liked Sonny with Brenda (pre-Vegas days) and I haven't made up my mind whether I like him with the new Carly or not. (I know I didn't like him with Emily--did you?)

The Eagles, GH--wonder what else we have in common? :wink:

sodascouts
12-31-2006, 12:18 AM
I got totally addicted to GH when I was getting my master's at Texas A&M. There were TVs in the eating area and there was always this group around one of the TVs that was playing GH - I checked it out with them. Soon I was scheduling classes around it, too! At that time, Brenda was already "dead" and Sonny was alone. Carly was with Jason. The three of them would be in a room and the chemistry was SO much hotter with Sonny. His character was so complex and compelling - Jason looked like a post next to him. Their first kiss was so hot that I couldn't wait to see what was to come!

Then Sarah Brown left. I was totally underwhelmed by the new Carly. When Brenda came back from the dead, they showed some retrospectives of them, and I realized that Sonny and Brenda were incredibly hot too! Especially that scene where Sonny throws Brenda against the wall and starts kissing her with this single-minded sexual intensity... I started rooting for them. But seeing Brenda with that annoying Jax... her calling HIM her true love instead of Sonny... arrrgh! JAX?! :puke:

When it became evident that Brenda was going to be with Jax and that the new Carly was a disappointment, I lost interest in that storyline. I was also invested in the Stefan/Katherine romance, but apparently I was the only one, as that ended disastrously too. Stefan with Laura was another :puke: - and seeing Luke with Felicia was just as bad. Luke and Laura belong together, and Felicia is also incredibly annoying!

I will say the the storyline of the "death" of the original Lucky was the most dramatic and gripping tale I have ever seen on a soap opera. Luke and Laura's anguish at losing their son was so real and well-acted that I was crying - I mean, really crying, not just teary-eyed. That moment on the docks when Luke tells her, and she just collapses, sobbing.... wow. Later, I was relieved when it turned out that he hadn't really died, but the new Lucky was so horrible I almost wished he'd had!

So, faced with all of my couples coming apart, and especially faced with Luke/Felicia, I stopped watching the show. But it was fun while it lasted!

DonFan
12-31-2006, 12:44 AM
You should give it a try again. I have gone back & forth watching it over all the years, and I only watch it about once a week now--but that is all you really need! :wink:

I started watching again regulary when Laura came back, but when they made her "sick" again after only about a week, I got mad and stopped---again.

I like the new Carly pretty well--and I agree about Jax--he doesn't go with Carly. She & Sonny belong together. And I like Jason with Sam.

Did you watch it when Sonny was with Alexis for that short time? The two of them were hilarious together. It was so obvious that she was attracted to him that she blushed every time he came close to her. He was so smooth and she was a nervous wreck the first time they had sex (probably the only time--I don't remember--they weren't together long, just long enough for her to get pregnant, of course). I could completely identify with her. I'm sure I would've been a nervous wreck with a man like Sonny too. :shock:

Maleah
12-31-2006, 12:45 AM
That is so funny you guys!! I used to be really into GH as well, my fav. characters jumped around a lot though. I really liked sarah Brown's "Carly" but just didn't get into the character as much later. But the chemistry between Sarah and Maurice was....wow......HOT! :shock: I stopped watching when they had AJ shoot his own father :? Or did Alan have a heart attack? Or both......I can't remember. lol I was annoyed over that so I switched to Guiding Light.........and then they broke Josh and Reva up for the umpteenth time so I quit that too. :? :laugh:

sodascouts
12-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Maybe I will give it another shot - although I don't need another obsession, do I? lol!

I did watch when Alexis was "with" Sonny. They had so little chemistry it was laughable. But I do relate - that man is so sexy and intense that a lot of we ladies would have problems forming coherent thoughts around him!

I really liked AJ when he was played by Billy Warlock. I never cared much for Jason and the family's favoritism towards Jason really made me feel for AJ. I also thought Warlock did a good job with the withdrawl-in-the-hospital scenes where he was being de-toxed from alcohol.

Maleah
12-31-2006, 01:04 AM
Maybe I will give it another shot - although I don't need another obsession, do I? lol!

I did watch when Alexis was "with" Sonny. They had so little chemistry it was laughable. But I do relate - that man is so sexy and intense that a lot of we ladies would have problems forming coherent thoughts around him!

I really liked AJ when he was played by Billy Warlock. I never cared much for Jason and the family's favoritism towards Jason really made me feel for AJ. I also thought Warlock did a good job with the withdrawl-in-the-hospital scenes where he was being de-toxed from alcohol.

YES, you do need another obsession! :D

I watched when Alexis was "with" Sonny as well. But it seemed so awkward to me. Like good friends TRYING to be something more, but lacking the chemistry.

I've always really liked Billy Warlock and loved his portrayal of AJ. He did an excellent job with the hospital scenes, loved those! I always hated the family's favoritism towards Jason as well.....probably because I never really got what was so great about that character in the first place. It seemed like the writers were trying to have Alan stand up for AJ a little more later on.....that's why the whole shooting thing irritated me so much. I never really liked the Quartermaines much......but Alan grew on me a little when he seemed like he was the only one who still loved AJ.

They killed AJ off right? Did they get rid of Tony and Bobbi as well (Brad Maule and Jackie Zeman)?

sodascouts
12-31-2006, 01:07 AM
They killed off AJ?! And surely not Bobbie! She's been there FOREVER! You've gotta be kiding me!

Maleah
12-31-2006, 01:23 AM
They killed off AJ?! And surely not Bobbi! She's been there FOREVER! You've gotta be kiding me!

oops :D I thought you had been watching all this time! sorry! lol I don't know what happened to Tony and Bobbi........that's what i was trying to find out, since I haven't been watching since AJ shot Alan. I know that I had heard that they hadn't renewed Brad Maule's contract for the show and I very RARELY saw Bobbi......so I was curious if they were even still on the show or not. I could have sworn that they killed off AJ because I seem to remember there being this whole "who done it" story again. but I could be wrong! I have an awful memory sometimes! :D I know it's really horrible since he slept with her daughter and everything.........but I always liked Tony and Bobbi together :blush: lol

sodascouts
12-31-2006, 01:33 AM
I haven't watched in a few years now - poor AJ! I doubt they'd kill Bobbie. She's one of those characters that's been around so long it would be sacriligeous to kill her off, unless the actress wanted off.

I liked Tony, but that story with him and Carly was SOOOOOOO icky!!!! However, I forgave Carly, so I had to forgive Tony, too. ;)

Maleah
12-31-2006, 01:47 AM
I haven't watched in a few years now - poor AJ! I doubt they'd kill Bobbie. She's one of those characters that's been around so long it would be sacriligeous to kill her off, unless the actress wanted off.

I doubt they'd kill Bobbie too. But she got SO little air time in the later years that I watched, that I figured she might be a character like Laura in the last fest years (she still existed on the show but we never saw her lol). I can't imagine Jackie Zeman wanting to leave and you're right.......it would be sacriligeous to kill her off :lol:

I liked Tony, but that story with him and Carly was SOOOOOOO icky!!!! However, I forgave Carly, so I had to forgive Tony, too. ;)

I know! It was disgusting! I only saw it via video years later, but it took me a long time to get over it!! LOL And after seeing the various men Bobbie was with......I just liked the chemistry between her and Tony the best. The BJ storyline was so sad! :(

DonFan
12-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Ok, guys, here's the deal: they killed Tony, but not Bobbi. She is Luke's sister and I doubt they will ever kill her off. She just hasn't had much of a storyline lately. They tend to concentrate on the younger actors more. (We "old folks" aren't as exciting, I guess! :roll:

Maleah
12-31-2006, 03:04 PM
*sniffle* Tony's gone for good?! How did they kill him off, if you don't mind me asking? lol Hopefully Bobbie at least got some air time through THAT but I doubt it :roll:

DonFan
12-31-2006, 04:03 PM
A deadly virus swept through Port Charles and Tony died from it. Bobbie did have several very moving scenes saying good bye to him. One of the sweetest scenes was when their son (whose name I suddenly can't remember) told Tony that he was gay, and Tony said it didn't matter to him, that he loved his son and he was proud of him and wanted him to be true to himself.

Maleah
12-31-2006, 04:35 PM
A deadly virus swept through Port Charles and Tony died from it. Bobbie did have several very moving scenes saying good bye to him. One of the sweetest scenes was when their son (whose name I suddenly can't remember) told Tony that he was gay, and Tony said it didn't matter to him, that he loved his son and he was proud of him and wanted him to be true to himself.

awww.....Lucas right? *sniffle* I can't believe Tony's gone :cry:

sodascouts
12-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Aw, that's too bad about Tony. One more "old-timer" they felt was expendable, I guess. I remember when Lucas was just a kid - he's gay, huh? My, they grow up fast! (feeling like an old-timer myself now!)

Ive always been a dreamer
12-31-2006, 11:55 PM
That is an interesting site Soda. I only had a short-lived obsession with soaps way back in the early 70's. When I was in college, I would rush home every day to watch General Hospital and All My Children. However, I had to give them up when they started interfering with real life. :D

glenneaglesfan
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
It's a great site, Soda. So this is where you learned the basics to make GFO and The Border!
I've never seen General Hospital, but as students we were hooked on MASH!

Z
01-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Okay, you want to talk about watching GH for a long time? I can remember watching it with my mother when it was in black and white. The lead characters were Audrey, Steve, Jessie and Lucille. The most scandalous thing to happen would be the suggestion of someone having an affair! No one was gay, children were NOT born out of wedlock and sex change operations were unheard of.

Now if you'll all get out of the way, I'll just mosey past you using my walker.......

DonFan
01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Z, you and I must be close to the same age, because I remember my mother watching Audrey, Steve, Jessie & Lucille in B&W on GH too.
Audrey still shows up from time to time, and she still looks good. Do you remember when Steve Hardy used to read the nativity story to all the children in the hospital ward each Christmas eve? It was SO sad when the actor playing Steve passed away and they had him to die on the show as well.

Oh, well, c'mon and I'll race you in our walkers! :wink:

Z
01-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Amen, DF! I was expecting someone to ask who those people were and what is black and white!

Ladies, I'm the sure bet in the walker race -- I just greased my wheels!

Ive always been a dreamer
01-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Whoa - hold on just a minute here. None of you are OLD! You can't be because I'm probably older than all of you, and I AM NOT OLD! :P

DonFan
01-04-2007, 12:36 PM
That's the spirit, dreamer! :wink:

Brooke
01-04-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking I'm the granny here and I'm NOT old! But I do love that old time rock & roll! :laugh: