PDA

View Full Version : Crossroads 2010 Chicago

MikeA
02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/02/10/eric-clapton-announces-2010-crossroads-guitar-festival-jeff-beck-b-b-king-john-mayer-more/

These 1-Day events like Eric puts on in Chicago really are more easily planned for (both for the artists and for the Fans). 2004 in Dallas WAS a Circus!

tbs fanatic
02-11-2010, 04:05 PM
I wonder if Joe will end up going?

MikeA
02-11-2010, 04:42 PM
The list given by RS is the "Early List". "Who" knows. Or maybe they do. Clapton did say in the interview with RS that he likes to do things in "threes" and this is the third round for (2004 in Dallas and 2007 at Toyota Park in Chicago). But they implied he was chuckling when he said it. So again. "Who" knows. Maybe someone should call Townshend and find out!

Likely he would hesitate to return to Dallas. It's HOT down there that time of year and it is prone to severe storms. The final day, Sunday in 2004, ended early because of a very severe thunderstorm and rain and tornadoes in the area. Besides, they'd lost half the crowd (exaggeration) to heat stroke Sunday afternoon when temps were over 110*...more like 130* down on the metal floor they had laid to protect the athletic field. I wouldn't have missed it, but I don't think I'd much enjoy doing it again there. I know my kids and wife wouldn't....well, maybe my son!

Academic for me anyway. June 26.....June is our disaster recovery testing so I'll be out of commission for anything other than work this June.

TimothyBFan
02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I brought it up on Ticketmaster but it wouldn't bring up any ticket prices, etc. Any idea how much this usually runs? I'm seriously thinking about it since it's only a couple hours away.

MikeA
02-12-2010, 09:27 AM
2004 in Dallas it was, I think, $80 for the day Sunday. It was very reasonable. A bit more than that for two days which included pass through the 'guitar museum' where Eric's collection was displayed along with a lot of other guitars that were donated by others and going to be auctioned off.

TimothyBFan
02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
That's most definitely do-able for the talent you get. I will wait and see if/when they post the final lists and who performs what day. Definitely want to go the day Eric performs.

Haven't been able to pull up good seats for Styx 2 weeks from tonight so might save my money and do this one instead!

MikeA
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I can't imagine a much better way to spend a day! Just look at the lineup already committed to the event. There will be more signing up as June approaches.

These guys don't just get up there and sing a couple of songs. The often come out and join other groups. I remember in Dallas, there was a Blues Jam in which Eric Clapton, Jimmy Vaughan, Buddy Guy, John Mayer, and BB King were all throwing down solos with the others providing background. Constantly shifting. That was the Jam in which Buddy Guy and John Mayer got into a "Battle of the Guitar Gods" type thing. It was all in good fun and at the end, Mayer laid his guitar on the stage and bowed down to Buddy Guy!

But other unexpected things happen during the individual's performances too. Like Joe Walsh coming out on stage and joining the session that James Taylor was performing!

Eric makes several appearances but for his dedicated piece of the show, he comes out and plays without taking the spotlight.

It's just a great way to spend a day listening to some of the best guitarists in the world.