PDA

View Full Version : What was the first CD you ever bought?

glenneaglesfan
01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Mention of Mark Knopfler on another thread made me think of the first CD we ever bought, which was Brothers In Arms. We lived in Hong Kong in 1986, where we bought our first CD player, and this was the first album we acquired. It has been played many many times since then and is still sounding good twenty years later.

Freypower
01-02-2007, 08:30 PM
(Sigh) - it would have been close to one of the first I bought too. We got our first CD player in 1986 too and I bought a stack of them on one day in December including Hotel California, The Long Run, Band On The Run and Dark Side of the Moon. In fact I can tell you when I got the Brothers In Arms CD - on January 8, 1987 - nearly 20 years ago! And I got Making Movies on July 7! I'm sure you will sleep easier knowing all that!

Molly
01-02-2007, 08:40 PM
I remember going out and picking up one for me (Cheap Trick at Budokan) and one for hubby (AC/DC Back in Black). I think they were about the first that we owned.

sodascouts
01-03-2007, 01:24 AM
I got my first CD player for Christmas in 1989. At the time, I thought I'd only buy CDs for classical music, as I already had lots of rock tapes and I thought the improved sound quality would be awesome for symphonic music. (I also thought it would be ridiculous to replace ALL my tapes with CDs at the time. Ha!) With this idea, my first CD purchase was a 5-disc Mozart anthology.

EasyFeeling
01-03-2007, 04:03 AM
Wow, you all know about your first bought CD? Very impressive. I have no idea which CD I bought first. :?

glenneaglesfan
01-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I suppose for some of us it was ground-breaking technology, hence such clear memories! Before Cds we had put up with hissing, scratched records and tapes that got jammed.
Those dates must be significant, Julie, and I'm not surprised BIA was one of your first. We took a lot longer to build up our collection. One problem was that the humidity in Hong Kong damaged our LPs, however I still had back-ups of most on tapes and we made do with these.
Completely off topic, Molly, your mention of AC/DC reminded me of a visit to a bell foundry in Loughborough, where there was a copy of AC/DC's 'Hell's Bell'!
Other early HK purchases included Blood on The Tracks, Too Low For Zero (Elton), Street Life (Bryan Ferry), Seconds Out (Genesis), Brahm's Requiem and some Vivaldi - interesting mix! The Mozart sounds interesting, Nancy - was it his symphonies or a selection?

Perfect Little Sister
01-03-2007, 07:07 PM
The first cd I got was Reba McEntire, Read My Mind. I was standing in line to buy tickets to the concert coming up and the local radio station was there doing drawings. I asked them if they were giving away the cd player to go with it as I had not yet bought a player. It seems a lifetime ago. lol I got The Very Best of Jackson Browne for Christmas tho. :D Also Bob Seger's new one and the 20th century masters Eric Clapton. Surprisingly, Seger is the only one I bought for myself...hubby did good.

sodascouts
01-03-2007, 07:44 PM
It was a selection, GEF. The first "rock" CD I bought was Dirty Dancing II - I justified that as CD-worthy because it had a lot of instrumentals. Man, I was such a nerd. It wasn't until college that I finally got with the program and started replacing all my tapes with CDs. Coincidentally, Hell Freezes Over was one of the last cassette tapes I ever bought.

PLS - glad you made out so well!

Z
01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't remember what the first CD I purchased was, but I do remember what the first CD I got was. Hubby gave me Eagles GH for Christmas on CD about a millioin years ago. If he only knew where it all would lead...... :D

Ive always been a dreamer
01-03-2007, 10:46 PM
OMG Z - That is too weird. My first CD was also the Eagles GH 1. Do you think that's why we're like we are? :D (And you are right Z - what was hubby thinking?)

Actually, this is only partly true. First of all, the only reason that I remember my first CD purchase is because the first CD player that I owned was in a new car I bought. I remember as soon as I drove the car off the lot, I headed to buy some CDs so I could test out my new CD player. I also bought Elton John's Greatest Hits and Madonna's Immaculate Collection at the same time. But I consider Eagles GH my first purchase since, of course, that was the first one to get played (some things never change). :wink:

To this day, I still buy mostly compilation and greatest hits CDs.

Freypower
01-03-2007, 11:11 PM
That's funny because Elton's Greatest Hits with the piano & white suit was the first album I bought.

I used to have a list, in order, of all the dates I bought my records & CDs, which is how I was able to look up the first ones (I'm coming up to the 30th anniversary of buying the HC album on February 3, 1977). So I could go back & tell you what I bought, when. I won't. :wink:

I look at the list for 1987 and see that I bought a lot of CDs including a lot of classical stuff. All the Beatles CDs were released that year so that's when I bought those.

glenneaglesfan
01-04-2007, 04:45 AM
I used to have a list, in order, of all the dates I bought my records & CDs, which is how I was able to look up the first ones (I'm coming up to the 30th anniversary of buying the HC album on February 3, 1977). So I could go back & tell you what I bought, when. I won't. :wink:
I think I can beat that! I used to keep a notebook with all the music I heard on the radio, mainly classical. Even now, I can still 'name that tune' after the first couple of bars!
Eagles GH was the first rock album I ever bought, back in 1978! 8)

EasyFeeling
01-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Wow :shock:
It reminds me of a friend who bought his first 50 CD's before he had a CD player. During our relationship his collection has grown to about 5000 :shock: And that was in the 90s. I don't know how many CD he owns today.

Brooke
01-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I really can't remember what cd I bought first, but I do remember thinking that I thought they would never take the place of cassettes or records! My kids just shook their heads. Then I finally bought a new car with a cd player. I had to borrow some cds from them to play in it! Then they started downloading music from the internet and they made me some compilations. My daughter cleaned out her cd collection and gave me Don's EOTI cd. (She still doesn't know what she's missing, poor girl!) I finally joined a record club to start my collection when we bought a new stereo system with, guess what, a cd player! This was probably just 3-4 years ago. I do know that GH1 was one of the 10 freebies that I got for joining.

Toonlass
01-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I've got no idea what the first CD I bought was....with my own money. The oldest CDs in my collection were all birthday/Christmas presents and are all along the lines of Backstreet Boys/Boyzone etc (I can freely admit to that). I guess it could have been something like Holst: The Planets or The Monkees Greatest Hits as they are the next oldest I have which I know I bought at some point.

I do know what the first record I bought was...Paul McCartney: Give My Regards to Broad Street...I was about 11.

glenneaglesfan
01-04-2007, 07:58 PM
TL, I love The Planets by Holst. It took a few years to wean hubby off punk music to the sort of music that I like. Now he enjoys classical, classic rock and a lot of contemporary music.
(As for the Monkees, in the 60's I had a bit of a thing for Davy Jones!)

Toonlass
01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I love The Planets as well, luckily my boyfriend likes an awful lot of music and I've even got him liking Jackson Browne and some James Gang stuff...though somehow I don't think he'll ever really like the Eagles...I can keep trying though :wink:

Freypower
01-04-2007, 08:11 PM
The Planets is one of my favourite classical pieces, in particular Jupiter, the main theme of which is referred to as The True Believers by members of the Australian Labor Party (such as myself :wink: ) and is also known in the UK as the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country, which was played at Charles & Diana's wedding.

My other favourite classical music for what it's worth includes Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky & I am especially fond of Dvorak's New World Symphony and Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez.

sodascouts
01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
When MTV played reruns of the Monkees regularly on their network in 1985, I got a crush on Micky Dolenz. In fact, it was my first crush ever (I was 10). I like older men. ;)

I only bought two LPs before they started to go out of style. The first was Corey Hart, because my favorite song at the time was his "Never Surrender." The second was Chicago 17. And then it was cassette time!

sodascouts
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
The Planets is one of my favourite classical pieces, in particular Jupiter, the main theme of which is referred to as The True Believers by members of the Australian Labor Party (such as myself :wink: ) and is also known in the UK as the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country, which was played at Charles & Diana's wedding.

My other favourite classical music for what it's worth includes Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky & I am especially fond of Dvorak's New World Symphony and Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez.

Great choices. In addition to these, I love Vivaldi's violin concertos, especially the ones in Opus 3. I took violin lessons from the ages of 11-18, and I always wished I could play those!

glenneaglesfan
01-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Gosh, Julie, you've just listed almost all my favourites as well. Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez is a stunning piece of music, and with Holst, is my favourite 20th century music. We used to sing 'I Vow To Thee My Country' at school, but listening to Jupiter always makes my hair stand on end.
I also love Bach, Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven and Brahms (especially the Violin Concerto), and Mendelssohn's Nocturne from The Midsummer's Night Suite because my son played it on the French horn for an exam, before he gave up.

TL, sounds like your boyfriend has good taste. I'm sure he could be persuaded to like our guys!

Z
01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Okay, you guys have got to knock it off! Toonie, you were eleven when Sir Paul put out Broad Street? And Soda, you were watching reruns of the Monkees when you were ten? Sheesh!! :doh: I'm going to go take my Geritol and read my AARP magazine..... Maybe Lawrence Welk is on.

glenneaglesfan
01-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Z and DF, I watched the Monkees first time round in black and white, and I remember recording Beatles tracks on a reel to reel recorder! Just heading for the stairlift to take me up to bed! :wink:

Toonlass
01-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Okay, you guys have got to knock it off! Toonie, you were eleven when Sir Paul put out Broad Street?

No...I wasn't 11, I was only 1 year old, but thats the first LP I bought when I was 11 :D

GEF-he does have good taste, but then also likes a lot of stuff I'm not keen on, he did grow up in the late 70s early 80s so likes punk (not my thing at all), but then he redeems himself by putting on The Small Faces or the Beach Boys or stuff when I'm there :)

Z
01-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Okay, you guys have got to knock it off! Toonie, you were eleven when Sir Paul put out Broad Street?

No...I wasn't 11, I was only 1 year old, but thats the first LP I bought when I was 11 :D

Great, Toonie! That REALLY made me feel better!!! :nope:

Toonlass
01-06-2007, 04:43 AM
:D

Well, if it helps at all, I feel like I have a much older soul....actually one of my friends describes me as 23 going on 50....now do I take that as a compliment???? :? :wink:

glenneaglesfan
01-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Lol, TL, I'm nearly 50 and behave like a teenager, so I guess we are about equal!

I took violin lessons from the ages of 11-18, and I always wished I could play those!
I didn't know you played the violin, Nancy. I'm impressed that you stuck with it. I rebelled as a teenager, mainly because I never got the hang of vibrato and it was excruciating to listen too!

Z
01-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Whenever in doubt, take it as a compliment, Toonie!

Lol, TL, I'm nearly 50 and behave like a teenager, so I guess we are about equal!

Someone at work was comparing me to another coworker who is a several years younger than me. She said "I can't imagine that other person doing even half the crazy things you do. She acts like an old fart!" Following my own advice, I took that as a compliment. :D

DonFan
01-06-2007, 12:28 PM
GEF, I turned 50 last fall and I definitely still act like a teenager at times. You are only as old as you feel, right? And most of the time, I feel pretty darn good. :D

Now, about the Monkees: I watched them the first go-round too, and I had a huge crush on Davy. I was tickled when MTV ran their old episodes back in the 80s. About five years ago, Davy actually came to Birmingham to do a midnight concert on the day after Thanksgiving at our largest mall, The Galleria. I loaded up my van with my daughters, their friends, and several of their moms, and we did the "Thanksgiving Rock & Shop" until the wee hours. I stood in line to get my picture made with Davy while everyone else shopped. He was just as cute in person, and sweet and gracious too, signing autographs and posing for pictures all night long. Great fun!

sodascouts
01-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I took violin lessons from the ages of 11-18, and I always wished I could play those!
I didn't know you played the violin, Nancy. I'm impressed that you stuck with it. I rebelled as a teenager, mainly because I never got the hang of vibrato and it was excruciating to listen too!

I stuck with it, but still wasn't that great at it. I often played second fiddle. ;) Always playing the harmony gave me a real appreciation for harmonizing, though, that I think has carried over to my love of Eagles music.

sodascouts
01-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Now, about the Monkees: I watched them the first go-round too, and I had a huge crush on Davy. I was tickled when MTV ran their old episodes back in the 80s. About five years ago, Davy actually came to Birmingham to do a midnight concert on the day after Thanksgiving at our largest mall, The Galleria. I loaded up my van with my daughters, their friends, and several of their moms, and we did the "Thanksgiving Rock & Shop" until the wee hours. I stood in line to get my picture made with Davy while everyone else shopped. He was just as cute in person, and sweet and gracious too, signing autographs and posing for pictures all night long. Great fun!

You got your picture made with Davy? Cool! I remember entering an MTV contest to meet the Monkees. I was so disappointed when I didn't win - and so jealous of the girl that did! I remember being disgusted when I watched the filmed meeting and the girl didn't even know how to do the Monkee walk. lol

The first concert I ever went to was a Monkees concert, for their anniversary tour. The Monkees were also my first computer project. My family got a computer around that time, but I never had much reason to type anything on it, and I wanted one. I decided that I would type up all the lyrics to all of the Monkees songs and call it "The Monkee Treasury." I did it over several weeks, and all was well, until one of my Dad's friends accidentally deleted it! Back then there was no "recycle bin." Nancy was not happy! And look at me now, 20 years later, still typing up lyrics. ;)

Randy's Girl
01-06-2007, 04:01 PM
We got our first CD player in 1994, and bought 5 CDs to play the same day. I can only remember two of them though, one was Hell Freezes Over, and one was Texas Flood (Stevie Ray Vaughan). I think one may have been Steve Earle (Exit 0). No idea what the rest were. Now we have about 300, but we still have all our LPs and singles. I've started collected LPs again, even though I don't have a record player (yet).

I used to have a list of all my tracks (from LPs, tapes and CDs), but it got a bit too big and then I couldn't be bothered to keep it up to date.

DonFan
01-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Nancy, I think you and I must be related somehow. We have so much in common--Eagles, GH, Monkees..who knows what else? I love it! :wink:

Molly
01-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Now, about the Monkees:

Gee, who knew we had so many Monkees fans here?! I was thrilled when MTV started showing re-runs of the series in Spring of 1986 at all hours of the day and night. I had just had Tom, and I would sit up with him watching the Monkees while he nursed. I credit the Monkees with getting me through those long weeks of 2 am feedings. I'll bet if he hears the "Theme from the Monkees" today, Tom still thinks it's time to eat.

Peter thinks he's named after my grandfather (that's the story I'm sticking with), but I actually came up with the idea for his name because I always loved the way Davey would say "Pe-tah".

Brooke
01-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Here's another Monkees fan! I loved watching them on tv in the 60's, too! And Davey was my crush, too! We do have good taste in men, don't we?! And I'll join you, Z and Glenneaglesfan with the geritol and walkers!

DonFan, that is so cool that you got your picture with him! Would you mind sharing it with us? And I turned 50 last August, too!

And as I'm typing this, Take the Last Train to Clarksville is playing on my radio! Right after Already Gone! :shock:

Z
01-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Ahhh, Davey..... <sigh> ...... he was my second big crush, right after Sir Paul. That man could play a mean tambourine! :D

DF, I too, would love to see that picture of you and Davey. Please?

Freypower
01-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Back on topic for a moment I was thinking how disposable music has become, at least for me. We were all so proud of our records & then CDs. Now, with iPods, if you don't think a song is perfect you can delete it. When I had nearly 6000 tracks on there and it nearly filled the hard drive, I had to have a severe rethink. Now every second or third track I hear, I think 'do I really need that'? Even the Beatles have had a couple of tracks deleted from my library (Revolution 9, anyone)? While it's sad in a way, it means I pretty much only hear the cream of the crop. I also now rotate stuff on there so I won't fill up the hard drive again. The only artists who are going to be permanent fixtures in some form are the Beatles, Eagles, Glenn, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Randy Newman & Dire Straits/Knopfler. Everyone else can be dispensed with. That is just how life is now.

DonFan
01-06-2007, 10:34 PM
It is hard chosing the best and most important music, isn't it?

I would love to share my Davy pic with you guys :blush: (not for me but for Davy, who is so cute), but it's not on a disc & I don't have a scanner. I can send a copy of it to Nancy and she can scan it, if that's all right with her.

sodascouts
01-07-2007, 02:13 AM
I wouldn't mind at all scanning that in for you - I'd love to see it too!

Freypower, I just got an iPod nano as a surprise late birthday gift before I left for West Lafayette. It has 8 gigs on it. I spent a day filling it up and I put so much of my music collection on there that I probably won't be listening to a full CD of music any time soon. I'll just put the best songs on my iPod. I guess that kind of thing makes musicians cringe!

01-07-2007, 03:02 AM
OMG FP - I can't believe you had almost 6000 songs on your IPOD. That is amazing. :D

Now ladies - You can count me in as another Monkees fan. I had a huge crush on Davy as well, although I liked Mickey a lot, too. The last time I saw a picture of Davy, he still looked quite well. We'd love to see your picture, DF.

And one last reprimand to all of you about all this old age talk. Like I said, nobody here is older than me, and as some very wise gentlemen once proclaimed - "I'm not ready for the rockin' chair!" :P

sodascouts
01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
And here is our own DonFan with Davy Jones!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/DavyAndDana.jpg

Freypower
01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
What a great photo DF! Thank you for sharing! What a great moment for you.

01-25-2007, 12:16 AM
That is a wonderful picture, DF. Thanks for sharing. Davy still looks pretty good there. :wink:

DonFan
01-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Aw, thanks guys. :blush:

Davy was really cute ---even though I was about four inches taller than him. Have any of you listened to the very beginning of Daydream Believer, where he talks and says, "What number is this, Jim?" and they say, "7-A," and he says, "Don't get excited man--just cause I'm short, I know." :D
Anyway, I loved talking to him in person that night, and listening to his charming British accent.

sodascouts
01-25-2007, 01:23 AM
I certainly have! Daydream Believer was my favorite song. I also love Sometime in the Morning, Valleri, A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You, Papa Gene's Blues, Saturday's Child, Sweet Young Thing, The Kind of Girl I Could Love, Words, Listen to the Band... the list goes on and on!

And has anyone else ever figured out all the lyrics to Goin' Down?

Goin' down the river with a saturated liver and I wish I could forgive her but I do believe she meant it when she told me to forget it and I bet she will regret it when they find me in the morning wet and drowned and the word gets 'round....

Goin' down. ;)

glenneaglesfan
01-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Aw, Davy still looks cute! That's a lovely picture of you two, DF, thanks for letting us see it. I had a real crush on Davy in the sixties, too (and liked the name so much ended up marrying one! :wink: ) I have seen his autograph at the Hard Rock cafe in Orlando. A bit of trivia - because of his height, his first career was at a racing stable training to be a jockey.

EasyFeeling
01-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Even if I have no idea who Davy is it's a great picture, DF!

sodascouts
01-25-2007, 11:21 AM
The Monkees were a group from the 60s who had their own TV show. It was sitcom about four guys trying to make it in the music business. There was a big scandal because two of them were actors who could sing rather than musicians who could act, so their instruments were overdubbed. Some musicians weren't too pleased that these guys were having hit songs!

Davy's in the upper left-hand corner in this publicity photo from one of their early episodes - actually one of my favorite episodes, the one with the haunted house:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/cape.jpg

DonFan
01-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm glad you posted that, Nancy--I was actually searching for an early picture of them myself!

I loved all the Monkees songs you listed, too.
How about "She Hangs Out": "Heard you taught your sister the Bug-a-Loo...Heard you taught your sister the Shing-A-Ling too...She can teach you a thing or too....You best get down here, on the double, before she gets her pretty little self in trouble, She's so fine...."

My music-loving daughter Rachel & I have often tried to figure out all the words to Goin' Down--that is an amazing song and Mickey does a great job on it.

sodascouts
01-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm glad you posted that, Nancy--I was actually searching for an early picture of them myself!

I loved all the Monkees songs you listed, too.
How about "She Hangs Out": "Heard you taught your sister the Bug-a-Loo...Heard you taught your sister the Shing-A-Ling too...She can teach you a thing or too....You best get down here, on the double, before she gets her pretty little self in trouble, She's so fine...."

My music-loving daughter Rachel & I have often tried to figure out all the words to Goin' Down--that is an amazing song and Mickey does a great job on it.

I never got into She Hangs Out just because I was the goody-two-shoes sister and that song made me feel a bit unappreciated! It's a cute melody, though. It's the same for Cuddly Toy. Cute melody, but I can't help thinking, "What a jerk" when I hear the lyrics.

I agonized over the lyrics to Goin' Down for my Monkee Treasury. I was able to figure out most of them until that part where he's just spitting them out in a frenzy. The lines before "I can't believe why I jumped, I'd like to get my tummy pumped" - never figured out those.

I loved pretty much everything the Monkees did until they got weird during the last season - remember that one with the monster that hypnotizes people? It just was getting ridiculous. And Head... the less said about that movie, the better.

EasyFeeling
01-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for that explanation about the Monkees. I remember a band with that name but have never heard any song.

DonFan
01-25-2007, 12:48 PM
I was the goody-two-shoes sister, too, Nancy, and I always laughed when I heard that song because I thought it described my younger hard-partying sister perfectly!

Freypower
01-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for that explanation about the Monkees. I remember a band with that name but have never heard any song.

You may remember I'm A Believer and Last Train To Clarksville, perhaps?

Billy
01-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Mention of Mark Knopfler on another thread made me think of the first CD we ever bought, which was Brothers In Arms. We lived in Hong Kong in 1986, where we bought our first CD player, and this was the first album we acquired. It has been played many many times since then and is still sounding good twenty years later.

Funnily enough,Dire Straits had a kinda hits CD out,when we had our 1st CD player,and that was my first CD.(I'm affraid, i can remember 8 tracks and cassettes,for the car....and vinyl LP's)

EasyFeeling
01-26-2007, 05:00 AM

Oh yes FP. I remember I'm A Believer! :D Love this song.

Billy
01-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Day dream believer....still gets played at parties. etc.
The Monkee's were "created" in the way modern boy bands are now.The four guy's had never met,and got brought together.A bit like Girls aloud,and New Kids on the block,etc.
If memory serves me right,"I'm a believer" was written by Neil Diamond.

sodascouts
01-26-2007, 11:41 AM
The first time I heard Dire Straits was the song "Sultans of Swing" on my older sister's "70s Gold" record. I wasn't allowed to listen to that LP too often, though!

About the Monkees - "Manufactured Image" was what they called it, right? Back then - big deal. Nowadays - not so much.

Witchy Mummy
01-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Add me to the list of Monkees fans. I loved watching the Monkees. Up until recently the Disney channel were repeating them, but I don't think they are now. I can remember me, toonie and our older brother and sister doing the walk in our garden when we were kids!

Anway..the first CD I bought with my own money was probably from some sort of boy band. I think it could have been Take That :? I remember my older sister getting a few Beatles albums on CD and begging her to record them onto cassette for me.

EasyFeeling
01-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I have to say I love Take That. I love every song of the new album. It's great :wink:

Brooke
01-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks for sharing your pic, DonFan! It's great and what a cutie Davy still is! :D

Freypower
01-26-2007, 07:10 PM
The first time I heard Dire Straits was the song "Sultans of Swing" on my older sister's "70s Gold" record. I wasn't allowed to listen to that LP too often, though!

About the Monkees - "Manufactured Image" was what they called it, right? Back then - big deal. Nowadays - not so much.

I am resisting so HARD starting a Dire Straits topic to go with EF's Keith Urban one. :twisted:

However....

Oh yeah, the boy can play.
:guitar:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Avatars/MKAv.jpg

sodascouts
01-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I am resisting so HARD starting a Dire Straits topic to go with EF's Keith Urban one. :twisted:

Why not?

And that "boy" has aged well!

Karen Carpenter
01-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Oh, this is hard. I believe, however, the first CD I bought was "A Song For You" by the Carpenters. My mom had bought me "Carpenters: Gold 35th Anniversary Edition", but I actually used my own money to buy "A Song For You". It's hard, though, because I think I bought that and "Carpenters" at the same time.

EasyFeeling
01-29-2007, 04:36 AM

Why not? We all have other bands or singers beside the Eagles which we love. :wink:

glenneaglesfan
01-29-2007, 05:00 AM

By coincidence, not only did they play I'm a Believer on the radio this morning, but Peter Tork is the guest on our local radio show today! (He's the one bottom right in that black and white picture).

Molly
01-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Another piece of Monkees trivia: When the Monkees went out on tour for the first time their opening act was then unknown Jimi Hendrix. :?

DonFan
01-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Jimi Hendrix opened for the Monkees? Wow. :shock:

sodascouts
01-29-2007, 10:52 AM
I'd heard about the Hendrix thing, too - apparently, he got booed off the stage!

Surprising fact 2: Did you know that Jack Nicholson co-wrote that awful Monkees movie Head?

Z
01-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Another piece of Monkees trivia: When the Monkees went out on tour for the first time their opening act was then unknown Jimi Hendrix. :?

There is something just so wrong about that.

Freypower
01-29-2007, 06:52 PM

Why not? We all have other bands or singers beside the Eagles which we love. :wink:

Is that so, EF? :wink:

I'll think about it but be warned, it will be self-indulgent.

Glennsallnighter
02-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Believe it or not my first CD was also BIA in 1989 when I got my first CD player. I was a student at the time and could hardly afford CDs not to mind a player, but a friend had pity on me and managed to get onewholesale! The player still works reasonably well (although some highly decorated discs wont play), although I tend to just ipod now anyway. I also have a lot of 80's cd compilations, and must have several versions of The Heat Is On. I

Interesting interlude: was coming out of the swimming pool today with my 5 year old daughter. Take it to the Limit was playing in the background. I told her to come on out to the car, to which she replied "lets wait till the credit card song is over Mammy" Two guys coming out behind us had a great laugh :!:

sodascouts
02-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Bwahaha! Too cute, GA!

02-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Wow GA - you are training your young daughter well. I am very impressed with your parenting skills. :wink:

Randy's Girl
02-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Did I mention that my girls can identify all the Eagles songs and who is singing lead vocal? They are aged 7 and 9 and love the Eagles almost as much as I do. :D

EasyFeeling
02-19-2007, 06:18 AM
Wow RG, this is amazing. ALL the songs? :shock:

sodascouts
02-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Impressive RG!

Randy's Girl
02-19-2007, 05:09 PM
It involved much playing of Eagles music and much looking at pictures and watching DVD's, luckily for me :D . Funny thing, though, they won't do it for any other band.

Glennsallnighter
02-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Mine love the Eagles - they have no choice as yet. The 5 year olds favourite has to be Witchy Woman - Don't yet know whether she means me or herself... perhaps both of us. The 2 year old likes to sing along to Peaceful Easy Feeling! I'll keep training them.

Glennsallnighter
02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Wow GA - you are training your young daughter well. I am very impressed with your parenting skills. :wink:

Gotta get your priorities right you know. If only my other parenting skills were as good! 8) Like how not to get them to walk all over me!

Molly
02-20-2007, 08:13 AM

Gotta get your priorities right you know. If only my other parenting skills were as good! 8) Like how not to get them to walk all over me!

It can be done! When you get them trained, then you can move on to giving their friends the proper musical training they need as well. I've been sharing CD's/DVD's like crazy, lately. Seems the youth around here have just "discovered" the Eagles.

btw, welcome from me as well, GA!

Glennsallnighter
02-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks Molly! Sorry I haven't been on for a while. Kids are on midterm and am marking exams as well. So this is the first chance I've had in several days. The best thing about the marking is that I put on the ipod to drown out other noise, select one of Glenns albums, put my Eagles slide show (well its really a Glenn slide show) on my laptop and emerge about 4 hours later (thats about 2am) for coffee. Thus I'm usually in a good mood and so award better marks. I got a paper from a student called Glenn to mark one day last week. Lets just say he got a substantially higher level of 'benefit of the doubt' marks and no doubt a higher grade than he may have expected :P

glenneaglesfan
02-25-2007, 08:47 AM
GA, that last post just made me laugh out loud! Sounds like you have exam marking down to a t! And by the way congratulations to you and RG for training your daughters so well. It's great that a whole new generation are growing up to enjoy the Eagles.

Kyle
11-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Gimme Some Neck by Ron Wood

Outlawman13
03-02-2013, 12:46 AM
LOL I still remember, I got the soundtrack to Braveheart. That was my first c.d. I didn't know why, but I had to have it. LOL.

Witchy Woman
03-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Actually, my first CD purchase was Hotel California. I made sure that was the first one I ever got !!

tjrrockandrollmaster
03-02-2013, 02:23 AM
The answer is very simple. August 2, 1991 at Service Merchandise I buy my irst CD player which ran me $160 (which was an AM/FM cassette/CD player from Sanyo) then to Strawberries in Brockton and I put $15 down for

http://www.untitledrecords.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side.jpg

a week later it was

http://www.midlandsrocks.co.uk/_/rsrc/1299847927205/midlands-rocks-news-1/news/rushannouncereleaseof30thanniversarydeluxeeditiono fmovingpicturesfulluktourmay2011/rush_moving-pictures1.jpg

Now have over 200 plus legitimate and 100 dubs from LP or cassette and more via bootleg/radio shows.

Grey Sadler
03-02-2013, 04:12 PM
I got a stereo with a vertically mounted cd drawer (?!) for HS graduation in the spring of 1990...I went out and got the soundtrack to the movie Bird...it's long gone, should have kept it, I suppose...

TJ...Service Merchandise? I miss that chain!! I even worked at their catalog center taking calls for about a year in between grad school stints...hence most of my old apartment furniture came from there (w/emp. discount)...

prayfordaylight
03-04-2013, 09:43 AM
a week later it was

http://www.midlandsrocks.co.uk/_/rsrc/1299847927205/midlands-rocks-news-1/news/rushannouncereleaseof30thanniversarydeluxeeditiono fmovingpicturesfulluktourmay2011/rush_moving-pictures1.jpg

MOVING PICTURES <333

I think the first CD I received was Madonna's Immaculate Collection. The first one I bought was Rod Stewart's Vagabond Heart.

UK TimFan
03-04-2013, 10:24 AM
My first two CDs were allegedly bought in March 1990 and were 'Live on Broadway' by Barry Manilow, and the London cast recording of 'Miss Saigon'.

Glennsallnighter
02-09-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm resurrecting this because its the first post I ever made on the Border. And because I joined the Border 10 years ago today, because this was the thread I wanted to answer in!! Although it took me a few days to get posting!!

What an amazing 10 years I have had on here, made so many friends both virtual, and then as I started to go to some shows, real friends that I have physically met. I've attended chat parties, celebrated weddings, births and academic achievements of Borderers and their families.

And of course you guys have been here for all the sad times. The passing of family members, friends of Borderers, Borderers themselves (Bad Kitty and Rhonda) and of course Glenn :heart:

Once again I can't say how grateful I am that one day someone called Soda decided to make a website dedicated to Glenn :heart:, then opened up the message board to fans everywhere, and kept expanding it to be the best Eagles website in the world!

Thanks guys - Its been a great 10 years. Hope I have another 10!!

Believe it or not my first CD was also BIA in 1989 when I got my first CD player. I was a student at the time and could hardly afford CDs not to mind a player, but a friend had pity on me and managed to get onewholesale! The player still works reasonably well (although some highly decorated discs wont play), although I tend to just ipod now anyway. I also have a lot of 80's cd compilations, and must have several versions of The Heat Is On. I

Interesting interlude: was coming out of the swimming pool today with my 5 year old daughter. Take it to the Limit was playing in the background. I told her to come on out to the car, to which she replied "lets wait till the credit card song is over Mammy" Two guys coming out behind us had a great laugh :!:

Annoying Twit
02-09-2017, 01:27 PM
I only bought my first stereo with a CD player when I arrived in Japan to do the foreign student thing. The first band name I learnt to pronounce in Japanese was "Pink Floyd" ("Pinku Furoido"), so I bought lots of Pink Floyd. Certainly my first batch of CDs were all Pink Floyd.

EDIT: I had lots of vinyl LPs before I bought CDs.

NightMistBlue
02-09-2017, 02:01 PM
My first batch of CDs were by The Doors. There may have been an Indigo Girls CD in there too [cringe]. I loved their vocal harmonies, but I'm too cynical for such earnestness now.

LovinGlennGirl
02-09-2017, 08:36 PM
I went through vinyl, 8 track, cassettes and finally CD's. My first actual CD was Hell Freezes Over, have played through three of them and am on my third HFO and I still love it today.

Jonny Come Lately
02-12-2017, 05:37 PM
The simple answer to this question is that the first CD I ever bought was The Wall by Pink Floyd - I bought it from a CD stall at university in my first year, which would have been close to exactly three years ago.

However, it's not quite as clear cut for me because at the time I downloaded most of my music from iTunes, and had already downloaded a fair few albums by the time I bought my copy of The Wall. This means that if you were to ask me the first album I ever bought, that would be the 1975 self-titled Fleetwood Mac album. I think I downloaded it as a complete album in about October 2012 (I'd already downloaded a couple of individual tracks from it, the non-hits like Crystal which were new to me as I didn't have on the Very Best Of. I hadn't realised that the versions of Rhiannon and Over My Head on the album were different from the ones on the Best Of albums. When I discovered this, I decided to download the whole album rather than just the songs I didn't have).

Looking back on it, I think I did pretty well - whether I regard my first purchase as the first physical CD I bought, or the first album I bought in any format, I ended up with a great album that I've got a lot of enjoyment from playing ever since! I realise that not everyone is so lucky in this regard.

I've no idea what the first CD my parents ever bought was, because I don't know when they first got a CD player. I do know that the first album my Dad ever bought was Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin, but that was definitely on vinyl, and some time before CDs came in.

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Either AC/DC's Back in Black or Def Leppard's Hysteria for me. My mom bought me those albums almost 10 years ago. I can't remember the first album I bought with my own money.