PDA

View Full Version : Randy's voice

luvthelighthouse
03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
I've been listening to OTB, to gear up for Survivor. Then I continued to listen to the early albums. You know, every time I do this, I think, wow, Randy has an amazing voice! It's so beautiful! I can't even describe what it is that I enjoy so much, but it's very distinct and smooth. Whenever I listen to TIE on my iPod, blasting in my ear, I hear him in the background and am continually blown away.

Just wanted to give some love to Randy and those amazing vocals he contributed! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
03-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Randy's voice has a purity and vulnerability to it that is very effective in songs like "Take It to the Limit" and "Is It True" - also, it can have an edge to it such as in one of my favorite Randy songs, "Too Many Hands." He's an ideal harmonizer because he's able to blend well with the lead singer and not overtake him, but still be distinctly audible. He was a great asset to the band and it's a shame he kind of fell off the radar.

Brooke
03-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree, Randy has a gorgeous voice. Just loved it in those early years/songs.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I would agree about Randy having a gorgeous voice. As a matter of fact, this thread reminded me of a thread that I meant to start a long time ago, but never did. So what are your favorite Eagles songs where Randy sings the lead vocals? I hope I didn't forget any, but here's mine:

1. Take It To the Limit
2. Try and Love Again
3. Certain Kind of Fool
4. Midnight Flyer
5. Saturday Night (co-lead with Don)
6. Most of Us Are Sad
7. Too Many Hands
8. Is It True?
9. Take the Devil
10. Tryin'

There are also the songs where Randy sings a prominent harmony, but I didn't include them in my list. Might have to do that separately. :wink:

sodascouts
03-22-2010, 01:23 PM
1. Take It to the Limit (surprise, surprise lol)
2. Too Many Hands
3. Saturday Night
4. Midnight Flyer
5. Most of Us Are Sad
6. Try and Love Again
7. Certain Kind of Fool
8. Is It True?
9. Tryin'
10. Take the Devil

(I think that about covers his whole catalog with the Eagles!)

If I included Seven Bridges Road, that would be right under TITTL, but I wasn't sure if that counted since everyone shared the lead.

Brooke
03-22-2010, 01:28 PM
here's mine:

1. Take It To the Limit
2. Try and Love Again
3. Certain Kind of Fool
4. Midnight Flyer
5. Saturday Night (co-lead with Don)
6. Most of Us Are Sad
7. Too Many Hands
8. Is It True?
9. Take the Devil
10. Tryin'

These would be my favorites with the exception of Midnight Flyer. It would be last. Just don't care much for that song-too much banjo for me there.

TimothyBFan
03-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Take It To The Limit (big surprise from me also)
Certain Kind Of Fool
Take The Devil
Midnight Flyer (despite the banjo)
To Many Hands

Freypower
03-22-2010, 05:43 PM
How is Saturday Night a co-lead with Don? Randy only sings the 'she said tell me, oh tell me' part.

He also didn't sing on the recorded version of Seven Bridges Road.

In terms of preference:

1. Take It To The Limit
2. Try & Love Again
3. Certain Kind Of Fool
4. Too Many Hands
5. Most Of Us Are Sad
6. Is It True
7. Take The Devil
8. Tryin'
9. Midnight Flyer

sodascouts
03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
How is Saturday Night a co-lead with Don? Randy only sings the 'she said tell me, oh tell me' part.

I see your point, but Don sings lead on only a few lines of Ol' 55, and we still call it a co-lead.

He also didn't sing on the recorded version of Seven Bridges Road.

True. Well, that settles it then - it doesn't count!

Freypower
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Don sings the entire bridge of Ol' 55, After The Thrill Is Gone and Teenage Jail, and those are co-leads. Randy only sings one line in Saturday Night, a couple of times, so I would not call that a co-lead, and I'm quite surprised that others think it is. To each their own, I guess, but if you're calling Saturday Night a co-lead you may as well say so is On The Border.

chaim
03-22-2010, 06:56 PM
I've always loved Randy's voice and I've loved his vocal performance in every song I've heard him sing. If I still had to choose one "ultimate Randy song", for me it would perhaps be "Take to the devil". The instrumentation in the verses is so bare that Randy's vocal is really "naked" at the forefront. Really sends shivers down the spine. But most of all, it's a jolly darn good song!

Lisa
03-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Randy Meisner added so many great vocal harmonies to so many songs that you hear (on the radio) all the time. (That is, in addition to all of the Eagles songs you've mentioned where he sings, or alternates, the lead)! His bass playing still always has his own unmatchable style.

Kinrow
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
They lost somemthing special when Randy left the band. Also, if you go listen to the album "Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band Live, you hear Randy doing backup for Rick and the two of their vocals was...wow!

Eve
05-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Randy definitely has the touch on "Take it to the Limit". Glenn sang it at the concert tonight in Seattle and I found myself wishing it was the 70's and Randy was doing it. Although when that song came out, I think I was like 14 and pushing it with the parents to get out of school early to be dropped off at the Portland coliseum to see The Who.

pueblo47
05-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I really never quite understood why they didn't let Timothy take over the Randy songs since he was taking his place in the band.

Brooke
05-27-2010, 11:08 AM
p47, I remember thinking the same thing back in the early 2000's when I heard Glenn do TITTL. Glenn does a fine job, but thought it a more fitting song for Timothy with his high register.

But, maybe Timothy didn't want to do Randy's songs, too. They were friends and all. :shrug:

whitcap
05-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I really never quite understood why they didn't let Timothy take over the Randy songs since he was taking his place in the band.

This is from an interview done around the time of HFO

Schmit: I told them I can't do "Take It to the Limit."

Frey: Not because it isn't a good song but because that's sort of Randy Meisner's territory and he (Schmit) doesn't want to step on it.

TimothyBFan
05-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks WC--I was trying to find that only to come back here and see you had! I knew I had seen that somewhere. I can see why that would of been uncomfortable for Timothy. Especially since it was the 2nd time he had replaced Randy in a band.

Eve
05-31-2010, 11:10 PM
I was on my treadmill this afternoon. The plug for my iPod is twitchy, one speaker sometimes won't work. During "Take it Easy" it did it and Glenn's voice was gone and it was all Randy..."Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona..." Fabulous!

whitcap
06-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Hmm... I've done that with a few songs but not with Take it Easy. I'll need to try that some time. Have y'all heard Randy's version of Take it Easy?

Eve
06-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Hmm... I've done that with a few songs but not with Take it Easy. I'll need to try that some time. Have y'all heard Randy's version of Take it Easy?

Love it!

sodascouts
06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I find it cool to listen to the harmony parts isolated, too, especially in songs like Seven Bridges Road. I've always been really interested in harmony structure - part of the reason why I love the Eagles so much, I think.

If you wanna hear Randy do lead on Take It Easy, check this live version from 2000 out:

http://www.randymeisneronline.com/multimedia/MP3/TakeItEasyWalecki2000.mp3

Prettymaid
06-01-2010, 06:26 PM
When the harmonic blend is done as well as the Eagles do it I have trouble picking our who's doing what part. Being a Joe fan I'd love to be able to hear his vocal harmonies, but I can't. :-(

TimothyBFan
06-02-2010, 07:34 AM
When the harmonic blend is done as well as the Eagles do it I have trouble picking our who's doing what part. Being a Joe fan I'd love to be able to hear his vocal harmonies, but I can't. :-(

I was thinking the exact same thing!! Well, about another member actually...but you get what I mean!

Prettymaid
06-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Timothy is probably a little easier to pick out because you pretty much know he's singing the highest part.

whitcap
06-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I just rewatched the Holland DVD and during How Long Randy can be heard over Don's lead part. That's the only instance I was able to find but I haven't rewatched Seattle or Houston yet.

Eve
06-11-2010, 12:15 AM
There is a video on You-tube of Randy singing Take it to the Limit. Apparently it keeps getting pulled? There is another up now and a comment was made that Frey keeps getting it yanked. There is some Glenn hate on You-tube...

sodascouts
06-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Ignorant comments like that are a dime a dozen on YouTube. It's probably some 15-year-old absolutely POSITIVE that OF COURSE it MUST be that big meanie Glen Fry personally demanding that YouTube pull any video of Randy singing lead on "Take It to the Limit" out of petty jealousy, when in actuality the Eagles' music publishers regularly purge Eagles videos from YouTube (as any of our YouTube threads will attest - the hammer has really been coming down hard in the last year or so). At least, they try to purge the videos. They never get 'em all.

Don't even get me started on their ham-fisted "search and destroy" YouTube campaign! We have a whole thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2129) dedicated to it.

whitcap
06-11-2010, 01:14 AM
I don't even read youtube comments anymore because so many of them are negative and ignorant.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't even read youtube comments anymore because so many of them are negative and ignorant.

ITA - a complete waste of my time.

Eve
06-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Ah but it can be entertainment on a rainy day. But I am not a huge Glenn fan, so they make me chuckle.

sodascouts
06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I just hate the fact that people who don't know better, and who don't view YouTube comments with skepticism, will just assume that guy knows what he's talking about and get all outraged for no reason.

Freypower
06-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Ah but it can be entertainment on a rainy day. But I am not a huge Glenn fan, so they make me chuckle.

Well, I am glad that you found such comments 'entertaining'. To each their own, I suppose.

Shadowland07
10-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Is there any way to isolate the vocal tracks or guitar tracks? I'd love to hear all their parts individually.

Outlawman13
03-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Randy has a very, very, gorgeous voice then and still now!!!!!!!!! I have never listened to his solo stuff until recently. I am in love with this man as well!!!!!!!!!!

sodascouts
03-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Is there any way to isolate the vocal tracks or guitar tracks? I'd love to hear all their parts individually.

Just saw this question - very belatedly, lol. I bet there is if you have the right equipment. Sadly, I don't!

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-19-2013, 04:32 AM
Is this the video of Randy singing TITTL you were referring to? I downloaded it to my computer in case it's ever taken down, I watch it so much, it's my favorite Randy moment on any video i've seen so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AjAWnG9Cjc

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-22-2013, 04:14 AM
I think I just heard my favorite Randy voice moment!! :fainting:

"Take the Devil", starting at 2:25 when he holds that note and goes up and up and up and up!! JUST WOW!!

Outlawman13
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
I love that part as well. That high voice gets me every time. His voice is so perfect.

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-07-2013, 08:40 AM
I've always loved Randy's voice and I've loved his vocal performance in every song I've heard him sing. If I still had to choose one "ultimate Randy song", for me it would perhaps be "Take to the devil". The instrumentation in the verses is so bare that Randy's vocal is really "naked" at the forefront. Really sends shivers down the spine. But most of all, it's a jolly darn good song!

I know i'm late in responding to this but I'm going through this thread again since i'm so into Randy's voice lately! and Take the Devil is probably my favorite as far as the quality of his voice goes. When he sings the line "tempting me to get away but there's no place a man can go"...OMG, i'm listening to it right now and I almost have tears in my eyes! I also love his "no, no" in between! And his "...from your miiiii hiiii hiiii hiiiiind" :headbang: GO RANDY!!

I honestly can't see how anyone can not like this song LOL

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I was on my treadmill this afternoon. The plug for my iPod is twitchy, one speaker sometimes won't work. During "Take it Easy" it did it and Glenn's voice was gone and it was all Randy..."Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona..." Fabulous!

I've tried to do this, like having my headphones only plugged in halfway, but it doesn't get rid of Glenn's voice LOL I LOVE Randy's part, and only recently focused on it and noticed he sings the melody completely different!! It would sound like a different song if he was the only one you could hear!

Prettymaid
04-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Yep, Randy is harmonizing with Glenn. :singer:

sodascouts
04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
I've tried to do this, like having my headphones only plugged in halfway, but it doesn't get rid of Glenn's voice LOL I LOVE Randy's part, and only recently focused on it and noticed he sings the melody completely different!! It would sound like a different song if he was the only one you could hear!

ALA, Randy is not "singing the melody different" - he's singing the harmony part. Go look up what those two words mean if you don't understand the difference.

If you want to hear Randy sing the melody differently in the sense that he has a different tone although otherwise it's a pretty straightforward cover, you can listen to his solo version of "Take It Easy." That way you also won't have to go to such trouble attempting to "get rid of Glenn's voice."

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
ALA, Randy is not "singing the melody different" - he's singing the harmony part. Go look up what those two words mean if you don't understand the difference.

I know what they mean, in fact I have the words Rhythm Harmony Melody tattoed on my arm. I also just looked it up on Wikipedia and it said "a tune, voice or line", and also says " A line or part (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Part_(music)) need not be a foreground melody." So technically any line anyone is singing is a melody.

If you want to hear Randy sing the melody differently in the sense that he has a different tone although otherwise it's a pretty straightforward cover, you can listen to his solo version of "Take It Easy." That way you also won't have to go to such trouble attempting to "get rid of Glenn's voice."

It isn't that I don't want to hear Glenn's voice, I just find it interesting when I discover a line sung differently than the main one, I like to try to imagine it by itself, I do it with any song by any band, just to get a different perspective on the song. I love Glenn's voice, actually I was just going to start a thread about it or if there is one, I was going to comment on some parts where I love his voice the most.

Freypower
04-08-2013, 05:28 PM
I know what they mean, in fact I have the words Rhythm Harmony Melody tattoed on my arm. I also just looked it up on Wikipedia and it said "a tune, voice or line", and also says " A line or part (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Part_(music)) need not be a foreground melody." So technically any line anyone is singing is a melody.

I would have thought that Randy's part is a harmony. The melody is sung by the lead singer (Glenn in this case).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_harmony

To sing vocal harmony in a pop or rock context, backup singers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_singer) need to be able to adjust the pitch of their notes so that they are in tune with the pitch of the lead vocalist and the band's instruments. As well, the rhythm of the backup harmony parts has to be in time with the lead singer and the rhythm section (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_section). While some bands use relatively simple harmony vocals, with long, slow-moving vocal harmony notes supporting the vocal lead during the chorus sections, other bands make the backup singers into more equal partners of the main vocalist. In more vocally-oriented bands, backup singers may have to sing complex parts which demand a vocal agility and sensitivity equal to that of the main vocal line. Usually, pop and rock bands use harmony vocals while the rest of the band is playing; however, as an effect, some rock and pop harmony vocals are done a cappella (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_cappella), without instrumental accompaniment. This device became widely used in the end chorus section of 1980s and 1990s-era hard rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_rock) and heavy metal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music) ballads as well as horror punk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_punk) (which cites influence from both heavy metal and doo-wop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doo-wop)).

wasl89
05-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Here's my list:

1. Take It to the Limit
2. Take the Devil
3. Tryin'
4. Certain Kind of Fool
5. Midnight Flyer
6. Try and Love Again
7. Too Many Hands
8. Is It True?
9. Saturday Night
10. Most of Us Are Sad

I've made a playlist on my phone with Randy's songs in this order :p
When I'm honest every song in that list belongs on no. 1!

sad-cafe
05-16-2013, 09:15 PM
man he can hit those high notes. LIstened to "One of These Nights" today. Man he gets up there!

Outlawman13
05-17-2013, 12:17 AM
I've always loved Randy's voice!!!! When he hits those high notes, damn that just gets me all the time. Just amazing!!!!

goldenautumn
05-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I recently had a chance to watch the Eagles documentary on Showtime. I went to the Hotel California concert at Metropolitan Stadium in Minnesota in 1978 and again in Minneapolis/ St. Paul I saw them in concert for the Long Run. I was and still am in love with the Eagles songs. Nothing through my life had more impact then the song Randy Meisner sang and wrote, Try and Love Again on Hotel California. That song is my favorite of all time - all songs and all music, In my most down moments, from age 20 to now, it has been my "go to". Thank you for "Try and love again", the most important song I ever heard...and whose message has carried me through even today. I listened to it today. Like 1978, it still gives me hope, and Randy's voice..truly amazing.
Mary W, MPLS

Grey Sadler
05-20-2013, 09:51 PM
I adore TALA too...and I was playing it in the car on the way home today as well!! :thumbsup:
Welcome to the Border, Mary!! :wave:

Tiffanny Twisted
05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the border. Very nice post about randy. I think the reason we love our boys so much is that they ,for me, have been the soundtrack to my life.:band:enjoy your time with us here on the border.

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Such a sweet post. Welcome!

Outlawman13
05-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Welcome to this board Mary!!!! You're going to love it here!! TALA is super amazing!!! All of the Eagles songs are beautiful for sure.

AstraeaLunaAvani
05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
I recently had a chance to watch the Eagles documentary on Showtime. I went to the Hotel California concert at Metropolitan Stadium in Minnesota in 1978 and again in Minneapolis/ St. Paul I saw them in concert for the Long Run. I was and still am in love with the Eagles songs. Nothing through my life had more impact then the song Randy Meisner sang and wrote, Try and Love Again on Hotel California. That song is my favorite of all time - all songs and all music, In my most down moments, from age 20 to now, it has been my "go to". Thank you for "Try and love again", the most important song I ever heard...and whose message has carried me through even today. I listened to it today. Like 1978, it still gives me hope, and Randy's voice..truly amazing.
Mary W, MPLS

I love that song, too, Mary! Randy is my favorite ex-Eagle and his voice makes all his songs special! And I am from Hastings, i'm sure you know where that is...although right now I have a job where I am in North Dakota most of the time. Are you going to be seeing them when they come through this summer? I am going to miss the Minneapolis show due to my job but I am driving to Milwaukee to see them in July! :partytime:

sad-cafe
05-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Try and Love Again is a beautiful song. Randy is so soulful when he sings it. It truly needs more airtime

sodascouts
10-11-2013, 10:43 AM
I like that song, too.

CBC
11-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Randy's voice has a purity and vulnerability to it that is very effective in songs like "Take It to the Limit" and "Is It True" - also, it can have an edge to it such as in one of my favorite Randy songs, "Too Many Hands." He's an ideal harmonizer because he's able to blend well with the lead singer and not overtake him, but still be distinctly audible. He was a great asset to the band and it's a shame he kind of fell off the radar.

The more Eagles' & Randy's songs I listen to, the more I understand what you're talking about Soda! His harmonizing/blending is truely a precious treasure to the band, which makes me instinctively stick to listening to "older" version of Eagles' songs where Randy was in.
And following are my sweeties (I do not care whether Randy's singing lead or backing, I can even hardly range them properly):

1972 EAGLES:
Take It Easy
Most of Us Are Sad
Nightingale (I never notice this is such a beautiful song until yesterday)
Take the Devil (I personally think Randy's vocal is even better that HC period)
Tryin' (Like live version better)

1973 DESPERADO
Saturday Night (Henley & Meisner are definitely my no. 2 & 1 band members, for vocals and appearance as well)

1974 ON THE BORDER
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
OL'55
Is It True
Best of My Love (listen to the crowd when Don & Randy sing simultaneously in any live show available, WOW!)
James Dean

1975 ONE OF THESE NIGHTS
Too Many Hands
Take It to the Limit
One of These Nights (I'm kind of addicted to the harmony part of this song)

1976 HOTEL CALIFORNIA
Try And Love Again

thelastresort
11-13-2014, 10:03 AM
I have maintained for a while that Take the Devil is probably Randy's best Eagles vocal (obviously save the note at the end of TITTL). Love how young and naive sounding it is.

DJ
11-13-2014, 08:05 PM
The first time I heard Randy sing Take The Devil, It sent shivers down my spine. His Try and Love Again did the same. His voice is one of a kind whether alone or in harmony. The man can sing that's all that needs to be said. :drool:

The Disco Strangler
12-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Try and Love Again is a beautiful song. Randy is so soulful when he sings it. It truly needs more airtime

I get shivers when I hear that song. Seriously. That man's voice is something else. It was a nice treat to hear TALA on the radio the other night when I was driving home. Okay, I had it purposely turned to the Bridge because that station always plays the Eagles hehe.

Drew Williams
01-07-2015, 05:40 AM
I love that song, too, Mary! Randy is my favorite ex-Eagle and his voice makes all his songs special! And I am from Hastings, i'm sure you know where that is...although right now I have a job where I am in North Dakota most of the time. Are you going to be seeing them when they come through this summer? I am going to miss the Minneapolis show due to my job but I am driving to Milwaukee to see them in July! :partytime:

"Try Love Again" effected me that way. I halways listened to the Eagles ever since they came out. They were deffenantly part of the "California Sound". As I got older I started playing violin and then Bass and eventually guitar. Randy's song "Try Love Again" became my song after a nasty break-up, I felt used up and it felt as my heart was ripped out. Randy's song was the first song I learned note for note on the gutar, it felt as if he wrote it for me. I have loved him ever since then and still trying to find his solo CD's which should be in any day now. I have a man-crush on Randy! Drew Williams::angel:

MaryCalifornia
01-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Welcome, Drew. You're not the only guy around these parts, and certainly not the only one with a man crush on Randy!!

sodascouts
01-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Welcome!

Pete Blundell
01-22-2016, 04:52 AM

Thought I'd check that out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUN-c72k9Rg