PDA

View Full Version : Henley Humor

AmarilloByMorning
03-22-2010, 02:52 PM
I hesitated to create an entire thread called “Amarillo Being an Arse” but this cracked me up... There have to be other Henley fans who will appreciate my snickers.

Pulling a tab for HOTM online produced the following classic snippets of misheard lyrics. Freud would have a field day with this one.

And I thought of all the bad luck, and the struggles we went thru
How I'd lost me, and you'd lost you
What are these voices outside life's open doors
Make us go out for containers and beg for something more
. . .
And these times are so uncertain, there's a yearning undefined, and people filled with rage
We all need a little tenderness, how can love survive, in such a placeless age?
The trust and self assurance that lead to happiness
All the silly things we kill, I guess
. . .
But if there's people in your life who's come and gone
They let you down, you know they hurt your pride
You'd better put it all behind you baby, cuz life goes on
And you canned up all that anger, it'll eat you up inside

I can’t get the mental image of Don with a plastic Tupperware container walking door-to-door out of my head. You know, carrying a little sac with a can of tomatoes alongside all that canned anger. I wonder if that’s processed by ACME? Does it come in flavours?

“Good morning. Are you interested in donating any contentment? I LOST MY PLACE.”

sodascouts
03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
LOL!!

When I lived in Saudi Arabia and bought black market cassette tapes, the Saudi sellers would helpfully transcribe the lyrics for you and include it with the tape. They were almost always hilariously wrong. I think the worst was their transcription of Escape Club's "Wild Wild West" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq0XZx_a7Y8) but to be fair, even I can't understand some of those lyrics!

I guess I can't judge, though. I've misheard my share of lyrics. We even had a thread about it here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992).

One that I didn't include in that thread - in "Leather and Lace," I thought for years that Stevie was singing to Don "Give to me your leather, take from me my name." Hey, if she wanted to marry him, he'd be taking from her her last name, right? Er....yeah. lol

Troubadour
03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
LOL! Funny about Leather & Lace, Soda.

Along the same lines, I love the bit in Storytellers when Don says that he was in the studio trying to get the last lines of The Heart Of The Matter written, and his friend was listening and writing down the lyrics as Don sang them. When Don went to read them back, he saw that, instead of "they're the very things we kill, I guess", his friend had written "they're the furry things we kill, I guess." :hilarious: Don quipped something along the lines of "Mr. Eco would never do such a thing!" and he said it makes him want to laugh whenever he sings it.

tequila girl
04-03-2010, 06:37 AM
I love the bit in Storytellers when Don says that he was in the studio trying to get the last lines of The Heart Of The Matter written, and his friend was listening and writing down the lyrics as Don sang them. When Don went to read them back, he saw that, instead of "they're the very things we kill, I guess", his friend had written "they're the furry things we kill, I guess." :hilarious: Don quipped something along the lines of "Mr. Eco would never do such a thing!" and he said it makes him want to laugh whenever he sings it.

Since reading this, every time I listen to that now I have a little chuckle at that bit!:hilarious::hilarious: