PDA

View Full Version : Slow Version of Workin' Man with Alternate Lyrics!

sodascouts
01-07-2007, 03:59 AM
Yury from Italy sent me an alternate version of Workin' Man which is VERY different from the album cut. It is a slow song, and the lyrics are sadder. It's like the guy in the album cut realized that his life is going nowhere and instead of proudly declaring "We're gonna rock our troubles away!" It's "I'm too tired for dreams and plans." Wow.

I made a page for it here: http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/soulsearchin/workingmanalt.htm

I think this is Glenn beginning to think in terms of soundtracking. We know he wrote Workin' Man for Let's Get Harry although it didnt make the soundtrack. Maybe he was thinking that the slow version could be played during the sad part at the beginning when they are frustrated by their lack of progress rescuing Harry, and the fast one at the end when they are all celebrating.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Wow - Thanks Soda - that is wonderful. And Yury if you are reading - a huge thank you from me, too. That version is so sad, it brought tears to my eyes. It is quite a stark contrast to the celebratory version that is on the album. I'm not sure which one I like best.

timfan
01-07-2007, 01:02 PM
wow! :shock: that is fantastic! I like it!

sodascouts
01-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I can't decide which I like better either - they may share a title and chording, but they really do seem worlds apart.

Z
01-07-2007, 03:45 PM
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO, that is an entirely different song not just a different version.

Freypower
01-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Good grief. Thank you SO much Soda. I have had this version since its release on the B side of True Love but because it's on a 45 there was nothing I could do with it. I can't wait to hear it again.

Perfect Little Sister
01-09-2007, 03:19 PM
While I love the more celebratory version of this song, I also love this version. The beauty of Glenn's voice just shines. I can't decide which version I like better.

glenneaglesfan
01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I've only just listened to this. Wow, it's very different, and very moving. He dedicated it to his dad on Soul Searchin' and it's seems very emotional and personal when he refers to his 'daddy' in this version. Like you, dreamer, I had tears in my eyes. Thank you so much, Soda and Yuri.