PDA

View Full Version : BOBBYBOY

bobbyboy
03-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi folks.. Bobbyboy from Toronto Canada.. Just thought I would drop by to speak to the upcoming Eagles/chicks/urban tour.
For those looking to buy tickets prior to general sale tickets go on sale, I was given the presale password by the promoter ...live nation.
If its a password you already are aware of , I guess this is a bit of a wasted posting, but if not the password gives you a great presale ticket opportunity. I got dead centre floors for opening night in Toronto...June 8 .
I really don't understand this entire presale concept but I won't look a gifthorse in the mouth.. I just contacted live nation and they emailed it to me..
Anyhow,not sure if the moderators want me posting the password or not so I will sit tight for a reply... Currently the password for the eagles presale has expired and the only way to buy them is by purchasing the presale chicks tickets on ticketmaster but its the same difference of course since its basically the same concert . I do have that password as well.
Also I am working with live nation trying to figure out the configuration of this concert. I know there is some concern if you will be getting the full deal eagle concert. Normally of course its a full scale concert BUT being a chicks fan I can assure you that Natalie Maines is not going to be pushed around by Don.. The chicks are not some 2nd rate pre show band, and to think they are going to go out there like your normal 30 minute warm up band is NOT going to happen.. If they do what I think they will and demand nothing less than a 90 minute preshow,that might put a damper on a full scale Eagle performance.
Lastly I will say the following.. Im a double winner here..Love the Eagles and the chicks.. Having seen the chicks live I can tell you they are a monster live act and will blow out their long list of hits... Prepare yourself...if you go to this concert there are going to be thousands upon thousands of chick fans there....This would not be the first time the main act band band, following a wicked warm up band ,and hearing the crowd response is thinking...Holy crap....... we better turn it up tonight following THAT act !!!!....Trust me..the chicks have the ability to do the same...Not a bad thing though.. We all need to be challenged from now and then... the eagles are no different and thats EXACTLY what Natalie and the girls will do!!

Ive always been a dreamer
03-28-2010, 12:05 PM
First of all, welcome, bobbyboy. Glad you found us here on The Border. It is fine to post passwords here for ticket sales. Actually, I'm always puzzled about why they even bother with passwords - it's not like they are secret.

As always, everyone on this board is entitled to respectfully express their opinion. However, that doesn’t mean that it won’t be challenged, so I guess I’ll be the first to do that. As far as the upcoming shows, I don’t think many of us here are expecting a full Eagles concert. However, with all due respect, I doubt seriously if it has anything to do with Natalie Maines. Glenn already said as much in the promotional interviews that the reason the Eagles wanted to play with other acts is because they didn’t want to do 3-hour shows this summer. I believe Irving Azoff, who put this tour together, is aware that his top client is the Eagles so I don’t think there is any danger that he will have them doing anything that they don’t approve of. I have said before that I appreciate the Dixie Chicks talent. But, to be honest, I don’t think they have the same clout as the Eagles. To be fair though, few artists do. Just the humble opinion of a hardcore Eagles fan.

Prettymaid
03-28-2010, 12:28 PM
BUT being a chicks fan I can assure you that Natalie Maines is not going to be pushed around by Don.. The chicks are not some 2nd rate pre show band, and to think they are going to go out there like your normal 30 minute warm up band is NOT going to happen..

Welcome BB. I'm not even sure what your statement is supposed to mean. As Dreamer stated, Glenn has announced in interviews with Natalie Mains that the Eagles no longer want to do 3 hour shows. I'm sure the times have all been worked out without any animosity on anyone's part, and nobody is going to be "pushed around".

Having said that, I hope as an Eagle fan you enjoy yourself here. There is lots of info and some great pictures too! :wink:

bobbyboy
03-28-2010, 12:30 PM
At least in Toronto its only the Eagles and the chicks..No Urban until it crosses the border..Hopefully that gives us a more extensive concert. Also the start time in Toronto is 6:oopm which seems to me to indicate not as much a cutback show..My thinking is..chicks from 6:00pm-7:30pm....30 minute break and the Eagles from 8:00pm -11:00pm.
As far as the chicks all I am trying to say is there might be many eagle fans going to this gig, that better prepare themselves for much more of a battle of the bands than they might expect..Because I live north of the border, I as most canadians was not over offended by Natalie's famous words..I understand of course many americans were..BUT...don't kid yourselves..If you don't think the chicks can round up thousands of US fans within US cities with populations of millions...well they can !!!.
All Im saying is for those Eagle fans that think they are going to be at a show where the crowd is giving polite applause to the preshow band...forget..try 2 or 3 chick encores..
Guys Im not trying to stir the pot..I love the Eagles but just don't understimate this chicks preshow. The chicks are a big stage act,their live concerts are over the top..If your a chick hater you might be in a pretty bad mood when the Eagles step on stage to..The long Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bplk4CLLdI

bobbyboy
03-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Hope you folks are incorrect reguarding what you are indicating Frey said when he ran the LA interviews with Natalie. I know that he said no such thing in the Fox Boston interview, nor did he say such in the CTV Canada AM interview.. As Im sure you know they did several of them on the same day out of LA to several TV affiliates, but I have never heard him say anything reguarding a short set list in either of those 2 internet posted interviews. .If you can find a link to the interview where he states such please post it..Needless to say I hoping the comments you indicate that Frey stated doesn't exist, because Im hoping for the full blown show. Are you sure he wasn't just generalizing that some day down the road they are going to pull things back abit.
Personally I don't think they will cut this show back ...We are not talking about a dinky Nokia Theatre Chicks /Eagles show here.. We are talking about 50,000 plus facilities on this tour on both sides of the boarder...The Eagles stepping onto what you folks might still know better as the Toronto Skydome(home on the Toronto Blue Jays,on a summer night,with the skydome roof in the open mode, and playing a short 90 minute gig in front of 55,000 fans...Thinking you are really wrong on this call.. At least I hope so..

Freypower
03-28-2010, 05:56 PM
He said in a rather joking tone 'we can't play three hour shows any more'.
I can no longer find the interview, which was with a Chicago TV station but here is the thread in which we discussed it.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2329&page=3

This is the relevant site. There is a preview of the interview, which was on a news program, but I could not find the interview itself.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/deanslist/

We were unsure if he was joking or not, but I can assure you that he said those words.

The DCs will play for whatever their allotted time is. I don't really get this 'battle of the bands' thing you have come up with. I get the impression you think they will 'upstage' the Eagles. Let's wait and see, shall we? Nobody on this board objects to the DCs opening for the Eagles.

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 06:25 PM
It's still on the WGN site (http://www.wgntv.com/news/deanslist/), FP - it's the video that begins with the title "Oprah in Court / Corey Haim's Funeral." The part of the description that reads "Eagles" is cut off, so unless you know what you're looking for, it's difficult to find.

Bobby, welcome! I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid it's true that the Eagles set will not be the same length as it was during prior Long Road Out of Eden shows. However, it will probably only be a few songs shorter - you'll still get a substantive show.

And if you like the Eagles half as much as you love the Dixie Chicks, I imagine you'll have a great time regardless!

ETA: Glenn says they don't want to play for three hours anymore in the St. Louis interview (http://www.fox2now.com/videobeta/ddbcf972-947d-4985-85f1-8d6527078911/Entertainment/Dixie-Chicks-Eagles-Concert), not the Chicago one.

Prettymaid
03-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks Soda. I've been looking everywhere for that!

bobbyboy
03-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the update folks. Since Im attending opening night of this mini tour in Toronto on June 8, Ill be certain to post the setlist the next day. As Im sure most well know,ticketmaster will be releasing late tickets as they always do close to the concert dates in the US. I guess many will be surfing the net the next day trying to figure out the makeup of the show in an attempt to decide if its worth the hefty price or not.

Now on another matter, I would be lying if I was to say Im not in shock by the comment on how nobody on this board objects to the new love affair with the Eagles and the chicks.. I say this for the following reason.. If non americans are to believe what we hear, half the american population pretty much thinks the chicks are a piece of garbage since Natalie's famous remarks..However when the eagles choose to team up with this hatred band, not one eagles fan on this board is peed off?????.
To me thats saying one of two things...Either this board does not in any way represent the feelings towards the chicks that we are told that a huge majority of americans do, OR the eagles can do no wrong with their fans on this board.
Guys Ill be straight with you..I moderate my own forums boards and NO... Im not here to spam it..All I will say is that its a long time Shania Twain forums boards,and TRUST ME!!, I know all about blinders on loyal fans. Many on our board thinks shania can do no wrong and it drives me NUTS because she sure can do wrong and certainly has. (Might I say not performing in the olympic opening or closing ceremonies that her native land just recently hosted might be an example). Now some shania sites will ban a member for posting that she needs her butt kicked for not performing at them, while others like mine totally allows freedom of speech reguarding opinion about her. SOOO... having said that, to tell me that no Eagle fan on this site has an issue with them pretty much endorsing the chicks, makes NO sense to me at all..Personally I have a problem accepting that there not more than a few members here that are totally peed off with the involvement but choose to sit low for reasons only known to them..Either that, or the world has been misinformed reguarding america's attitude towards the chicks in general.
I throw this thread out for alot of reasons, and yes 100 percent it is to test the board..not to cause trouble on it but to find out the pulse of the board..Yes I could spend days reading posts to figure it out but I don't need to..This post (that I would think has not broken a single rule as far as conduct), will tell me very quickly,that as an great longtime eagle fan,if its the type of board I wish to post on or not. Hopefully I can do so without being pounded on a personal level or banned......,especially when I have not come anywhere close to insulting a single person on the board nor the Eagles band itself

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Bobby, how many threads on this board have you actually read?

bobbyboy
03-28-2010, 07:34 PM
About 1 hours worth, but if Im reading between the lines,your saying its a freedom of opinion board and if so count me in..but again that comment that nobody on this board is upset with frey sitting on natalies lap on national television REALLY sounded like something from never never land from my newbie perspective..C'mon..how could it not trying to see it from my perspective??

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
About 1 hours worth

Well, then I advise you to look around a bit more before making judgments about this board or its members.

Freypower
03-28-2010, 07:58 PM
About 1 hours worth, but if Im reading between the lines,your saying its a freedom of opinion board and if so count me in..but again that comment that nobody on this board is upset with frey sitting on natalies lap on national television REALLY sounded like something from never never land from my newbie perspective..C'mon..how could it not trying to see it from my perspective??

:-?

He sat next to her.

He and the band have performed with the DCs before and he obviously respects her as an artist. As a fan of him, I respect his views.

I cannot speak for the Americans on the board. I can only speak for myself and I am indifferent to the Dixie Chicks. If the Eagles wish to have them on their tour, that is their right. A couple of people aren't all that crazy about people expressing their political opinions on stage, but no, there is not the full scale 'hatred' of the DCs that you seem to have expected.

bobbyboy
03-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I am not judging any member of this site..I am though clearly questioning freypowers comments that as the posting clearly indicates speaks for the ENTIRE board, that nobody on the site(all 500 plus members) objects to the chicks .. I can tell you one thing.. if I as a moderator was to post on my board that NOBODY on this sites has a problem with Lady Gaga teaming up with shania,there would be an uprising of the troops.

Freypower
03-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I made a generalisation, BB. I know the board reasonably well, I believe.

bobbyboy
03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
put me on that list as well of non objection..now if i can just get 90 minutes out of the chicks and a full show from the boys i will be a happy bobbyboy... my call is i will...fingers crossed

TimothyBFan
03-28-2010, 09:54 PM
:headshake: I honestly don't even know how to respond to this whole thread! :woah: :unimpressed:

bobbyboy
03-28-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't think its all that hard...
I'm basically saying the following and maybe its just a case that I have more confidence in the Eagles than some here, but check out the Toronto prices... $450.00 a pair for floors(FROM TICKETMASTER). Right now the US dollar and Canadian are pretty close to par.. Thats ALOT of money and sorry but I don't believe the Eagles are going to do some screw the fans gig.. Im calling a full concert.
On top of that the chicks are not going to take some backseat role here..They just won't and because of that Im expecting a long show as well from them.. Again they didn't pick a 6:oopm start time just because they wanted to get to bed early.. If I believed anything else I wouldn't have laid out the cash

AzEaglesFan
03-29-2010, 02:22 AM
I would still buy Dixie Chicks music and I would also go see them in person if possible. While I'm glad that the show in Phoenix is just the Eagles, I still would have gone even if Keith and the Chicks were with them. I have seen the Chicks in person before and they put on a good show. I love this country where we all can express our opinions and although I wish Natalie had kept her mouth shut, I would never deny her the right to express her own opinion on anythng or anyone.

TimothyBFan
03-29-2010, 08:04 AM
maybe its just a case that I have more confidence in the Eagles than some here,

I told myself I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but I have to say one thing about this post right here.... That really just p*ssed me off!!! Take Soda's advice and read a few more threads here before you make an assumption like that. The fans on this board don't come any more loyal or confindent. Just because some of us have chosen to express our opinion of unhappiness in the fact that Eagles have chosen Dixie Chicks as openers for this tour, doesn't make us any less loyal. And as I've said in that particular thread, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Natalie expressing her political beliefs, but everything to do with the fact I don't care for their music and think it is a bad match.

I am not judging any member of this site..I am though clearly questioning freypowers comments that as the posting clearly indicates speaks for the ENTIRE board, that nobody on the site(all 500 plus members) objects to the chicks .. I can tell you one thing.. if I as a moderator was to post on my board that NOBODY on this sites has a problem with Lady Gaga teaming up with shania,there would be an uprising of the troops.

I won't even start on these... it would obviously be hopeless anyways!

bobbyboy
03-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Well Im sorry to see you think Im some kind of a wack job but I stand by my position.. If someone posts to me that the eagles are going to charge big bucks, so they can screw fans with some 90 minute concert, I will respond to that posting by saying... I have more confidence in them than you because I don't think they would that.. No it does not make me a bigger fan ,just maybe a fan that believes in their integrity to their fans a bit more... AND if that makes me a wackjob for saying so in your mind, or if you lack the ability to handle opinion, than maybe its better not responding to my posts.

luvthelighthouse
03-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Honestly, I'm not even sure I understand your posts. I think that if THREE acts are playing, yes high ticket price would be normal. I don't think that means the Eagles are screwing anyone.

As far as the DC's are concerned... many have commented on their dislike of this lineup... so I'm not understanding what you are saying about that either?

TimothyBFan
03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
ltlh-you and I are not the minority here. Seems to be the general consensus. Sometimes you just gotta let it ride....

bernie's bender
04-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I love threads where the 'topic' isn't the topic at all. I think I know what bobbyboy is really asking about... and I know what people are really responding to...

maybe sometime we can talk about the complication of loving music that is a reflection of the artists political and moral beliefs but that are in conflict to our own day to day political and moral beliefs. When do we react by throwing away their art because we find them too repugnant and when do we contextualize differently so we can continue to enjoy the music?

Some would boycott the dixie chicks for expressing their political views in a public venue (but, I am told this matters, in a foreign country) and for doing that, they are forever despised and dismissed.

Others would boycott Cat Stephens for a few years for offering a bounty on Salman Rushdie's life (supporting the radical islamic initiative to have Rushdie killed for his book about Islam) but, after awhile and even though Stevens never recanted, he's kind of okay again and all is kind of forgotten.

For the record, I think both things were largely the creation of people who wanted to whip the masses into a frenzy to support one side or the other and materially neither were particularly important nor symbolic (for me)...

Being older than lots of board members and having lived through different times, I've heard much more violent rhetoric from artists on both sides and nobody cared.

Several of the Eagles have very staunch political opinions which are clearly (having read lots of posts here and also knowing the makeup of our country politically) counter to what we might individually support.

Most, if not all, of the Eagles lean left. It is a matter of public record. In their early years, they tried to stay out of political commentary and took a beating in the press for not standing for something. Later, when members have been outspoken, they have taken a beating for that....

The Chicks have ties to some Eagles that go way back... their relationship isn't a new one....

but the general topic of 'at what point do the politics of artists make you turn away from them? What are the metrics of that decision?' become interesting to consider....

I've not ever stopped enjoying music nor art from artists whose politics differed from mine. I separate the art from the artist completely... but some don't... I think that is what this thread really ends up being about that.

sodascouts
04-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I love threads where the 'topic' isn't the topic at all.

Which is why I told Bobbyboy he should actually read the forum before making uninformed generalizations about our members. The topic of the Dixie Chicks, their politics, their relationship with the Eagles, whether or not the Eagles' set will be shortened, etc., is all being discussed here - a discussion which is now at 13 pages:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2342

In light of the discussion in that thread, his declaration in this thread that none of our members disliked the pairing was particularly amusing.

Bender, perhaps you would like to add your thoughts to that thread as well.

bernie's bender
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Which is why I told Bobbyboy he should actually read the forum before making uninformed generalizations about our members. The topic of the Dixie Chicks, their politics, their relationship with the Eagles, whether or not the Eagles' set will be shortened, etc., is all being discussed here - a discussion which is now at 13 pages:

In light of the discussion in that thread, his declaration in this thread that none of our members openly objected to the pairing was particularly amusing.

Bender, perhaps you would like to add your thoughts to that thread as well.

soda, we are in agreement... I think the whole thing for that poster is to try to bait people into a position where he can "win"....

'Winning' on the internet is something that is just not possible and people who try are just showing a level of vanity that is, well, pathetic.

I don't know if there are statistics, but I've spent most of my life in the 'creative' community (artists, musicians, painters, intellectuals etc) in my experience, that community leans left (considerably)... there are exceptions, but I think that holds to be true....

so, it is 'easier' for liberal folks to 'connect' with artists who they share core political visions with. It doesn't mean that right leaning folks can't love lefty artists, but when the artists reflect their beliefs in their art, it can make it complicated.

What I think is lost in the current debate (the larger national battle that has gotten so incredibly ugly and stupid that it is shameful for all sides) is that we have completely lost the core that makes us great. TRUST.

We used to be able to disagree mightily about how we would make our nation and the world better, we'd debate, we'd vote and we'd accept the result and then work cooperatively showing faith and respect in each other that even though we disagreed, we'd try it the way that was prevailing.

My stepfather and I used to have very loud and very passionate debates about politics and then go fishing and happily end the day with a great dinner and a long hike.

We've lost that. We are now willing to do the most shameful things to each other and make up lies or create controversy where none exist. Both sides do it and they are both wrong for doing it. Who pays? In the end, if winning is the sole goal... we all lose. We will lose what was worth having which is spirited and thoughtful debate and we'll devolve into children on the playground threatening lawsuits, calling each other fat or ugly and taking cheap shots when no one is looking...

Did I think the Dixie Chicks showed good judgement in their off hand comments at a concert in England? No, because they didn't explain the purpose or reasoning behind their position. Had it been me, I probably would not have chosen that path.

Was the reaction completely fabricated, distorted and turned in to a rallying cry rather than a thoughtful response? Yes. People were exploited who never knew the facts of the event.

I am in favor of people who have thoughtful, considered, informed beliefs.
I enjoy sharing information and learning perspectives that I had not considered....

I don't feel superior because of the positions I hold, but I am frequently interested in how folks arrive at the stance that they espouse...

cynd1231
04-03-2010, 10:40 PM
APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! Bender, you are SO eloquent! And I tip my hat to your analysis. I've always been a firm believer that it's important to hear the opinions and viewpoints of others and carefully consider the qualifications that back 'em up. What I strongly object to is someone gluing themself to the soapbox and using a battering ram to cram something down my throat! I found those posts to be largely rambing, pointless, and with no purpose other than for Bobbyboy to feel as if he were the supreme authority. To each his own and I welcome a fair, two-sided discussion/debate anyday -- but Bobby can find someone else's circle to impose on because he isn't welcome in mine. I've known aa few egomaniacs in my life and I find them boring and tedious because of their gradiose opinions of themselves. Personally I think if the old boy would shut and really listen to what others are saying, he may actually learn something useful...and I'm talking in the broadest sense, no just The Border.

GlennLover
04-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Very well said, Bender & Cynd!!!

AzEaglesFan
04-04-2010, 03:43 AM
The main reason that I like this board over others is because while we may not agree on every subject, everyone respects the other people on here enough not to get personal. Our freedom of speech is something to guard and protect but I think with our freedom of speech come a responsibility to not cut another person so deep that we draw blood or start a feud that will cause members to leave. Members have made friends on this board that will last a lifetime.

Brooke
04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
The Chicks have ties to some Eagles that go way back... their relationship isn't a new one....

And now I would like to hear more on this please.......

sodascouts
04-05-2010, 03:52 PM
But answer in the other thread please. An intelligent conversation doesn't belong in this thread started by a troll.

Again, here's the link to the relevant thread:

(AzEaglesFan - thanks for the kind words about the board!)