PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of the "Solo Collection"

Ive always been a dreamer
03-28-2010, 01:34 PM
I noticed in Today In Eagles History that Glenn's Solo Collection was released 15 years ago today. Now, I know this was a compilation album, but it did include four awesome new songs that I wanted to pay homage to. So ...

This Way To Happiness
Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed
Common Ground
Call On Me

I love you all and wanted to give you the special mention that I think you deserve. You all ROCK!!!

:rockon::rockguitar::grooving: :bow:

Glennhoney
03-28-2010, 02:27 PM
..you are right...they were "4 awesome songs"...especially liked "Common Ground"....would be wonderful to hear it live.........:thumbsup:

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 03:59 PM
The vocal on "This Way to Happiness" is one of his best. He really belts it out. Listen here:

http://vodpod.com/watch/1437232-glenn-frey-of-the-90s-this-way-to-happiness-video-by-eagles-online-central-myspace-video

Freypower
03-28-2010, 06:26 PM
It's peculiar that out of those four songs the only one he's played live is WBSIMB, which he didn't write .... it's the least effective of the four songs, although he probably thinks it's more 'fun'.

My personal favourite of these is Call On Me. It rocks. I love the way he sings it.

Koala
03-29-2010, 01:02 AM
I love the four new songs from this album, especially This Way To Happiness and Common Ground, I like the two other songs also but This Way To Happiness and Common Ground are are somehow special to me, however I can not even say why!

GlennLover
03-29-2010, 09:37 AM
I love WBSIMB. I do think that it is such a fun song. I think the others are very stong songs, love them too!

03-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I was trying to decide which order I would rank these songs and I really found it to be very difficult. I love them all so the best that I can do is ...

1. This Way To Happiness and Common Ground (tie) - both songs are incredible. The vocals on both are simply amazing, as well as, having great lyrics, melodies, and music. Both songs are so uplifting, but in very different ways.

2. Call On Me

3. Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed - comes in at the bottom only because Glenn didn't write it.

Freypower
03-29-2010, 06:20 PM
I was listening to Common Ground yesterday and it is a very uplifting song, a bit like Soul Searchin' with 'crossing the river' imagery instead of 'boarding the train' imagery. I like the end where he sings 'New York City... out in San Diego... yeah yeah yeah'!

As far as TWTH goes my favourite part is the 'I've rolled this rig from coast to coast' part because it seems there is a great deal of personal experience somewhere in there. I like how the theme develops from the 'on some endless road just south of nowhere' part to the big neon sign. It's a real journey of self discovery. Note that in this song he does return to the 'train' imagery.

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah I love all those songs as well. They really are excellent quality, and IMHO there is very little separating them. However I beg to differ and would nominate WBSIMB as my favourite. I think Glenn :heart: sounds spectacular on it, regardless of who wrote it. I would really love to see him do it live.

After that I would go for TWTH. It is just such a cheerful upbeat song. You can indeed hear the Angels call.

Then there isn't really anything separating 'Call on Me' or Common Ground' I love the two of them.

In a way its a pity these 4 songs weren't released as new material on an entirely new album. I mean 6 more songs with them would have made another 'stand alone' album rather than just including them in a compilation where they have been somewhat lost. I'm sure Glenn :heart: would not have been short of material. Still I suppose he is the pro and he knew what he was doing.

Freypower
04-01-2010, 09:22 PM
The problem with that is that Glenn was back with the Eagles when this was released. It was a contractual obligation album. I'm just grateful that he did record these songs. I think what he should have done was record After Hours and Just South Of Sunset. He could have changed the title of JSOS. The melody is very promising.

sodascouts
04-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, this was released in 1995, when the Eagles had "resumed" and blown everyone away with how popular they still were. The record company probably wanted to put it out ASAP before the HFO fever faded, which meant taking what he had and running with it.

03-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Well - Just wanted to make mention that today is the 16th anniversary of the release of Glenn's Solo Collection. This is a good compilation album for anyone who wants an introduction to Glenn's solo music, and even has four really good "new" songs that are discussed earlier in this thread. Here is the cover art ...

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/solocollectioncover.jpg

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/solocollectionback.jpg

sodascouts
03-28-2011, 05:28 PM
As I said earlier in the thread, I absolutely adore "This Way to Happiness." It's one of my top 15 Glenn solo songs. The other new ones don't do as much for me, but they're still enjoyable.

I think what he should have done was record After Hours and Just South Of Sunset. He could have changed the title of JSOS. The melody is very promising.

Yes, it's a shame a gorgeous song like "After Hours" remains unreleased. I believe "Just South of Sunset" might have been cool, too. Maybe he should do what Stevie Nicks does and dig up those old unreleased songs and stick them on a new album alongside new material. Who knows what other gems are on tape cassettes that he's stuffed in a box somewhere? I'd also argue for the inclusion of "Ain't It Love" - yeah, it's technically been released - in freaking Japan! Why deprive the Western world of a great song? I'm totally serious! He could always re-record it with a different arrangement if he doesn't want to use the exact same track.

If only!

Freypower
03-28-2011, 05:56 PM
As I said earlier in the thread, I absolutely adore "This Way to Happiness." It's one of my top 15 Glenn solo songs. The other new ones don't do as much for me, but they're still enjoyable.

Yes, it's a shame a gorgeous song like "After Hours" remains unreleased. I believe "Just South of Sunset" might have been cool, too. Maybe he should do what Stevie Nicks does and dig up those old unreleased songs and stick them on a new album alongside new material. Who knows what other gems are on tape cassettes that he's stuffed in a box somewhere? I'd also argue for the inclusion of "Ain't It Love" - yeah, it's technically been released - in freaking Japan! Why deprive the Western world of a great song? I'm totally serious! He could always re-record it with a different arrangement if he doesn't want to use the exact same track.

If only!

If only indeed, and I wish, I wish, I WISH that there could be some more solo work. I would take ANYTHING. Anything.:pray:

Glennsallnighter
03-29-2011, 04:11 AM
So do I! I LOVE Solo Collection but I too am sure Glenn :heart: has enough hidden gems to easily release another very high quality CD!

Freypower
03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
But if he takes the same attitude as he does with the Eagles then anything he doesn't use is thrown away.

I try to avoid speculating about this because unfortunately it isn't much fun. :-(

sodascouts
03-30-2011, 12:09 AM
I understand, FP - but I do have to add - he didn't throw away After Hours...

Freypower
03-30-2011, 05:52 PM
You say he didn't throw it away but there's no studio recording of it; only the radio performance & the Royal Oak performance. I'm just glad that he still considered it worth playing. I don't remember when the radio show actually was (Royal Oak was in 2000).

sodascouts
03-31-2011, 11:38 PM
I believe the interview was right before the Royal Oak show and promoting it, but I could be mistaken. My version doesn't include the interview.

Glenn seems to have an exceptional memory. I suppose he could have just been playing it from that, but even so, it was still simmering in the back of his mind for him to pull out 15 years later.

GlennLover
04-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Glenn played After Hours on the Mark & Brian Christmas Special 1997. I couldn't remember the year so I just listened to the clip. He said then that it was only about the 3rd time that he had played it live. It was from his "martini & black tie period" (The Allnighter era). He had Danny Grenier & Brian Garofalo with him for that performance.

sodascouts
04-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info! Shows what I know. lol

So he'd played it a couple times live prior? Shoot, wish I could hear those! I love that song.

Freypower
04-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Glenn played After Hours on the Mark & Brian Christmas Special 1997. I couldn't remember the year so I just listened to the clip. He said then that it was only about the 3rd time that he had played it live. It was from his "martini & black tie period" (The Allnighter era). He had Danny Grenier & Brian Garofalo with him for that performance.

And you can hear the awestruck reaction of the DJ & the others in the studio. It's a favourite moment of mine.

Glenn.... if only you could hear; we would like to hear new material from you.

GlennLover
04-01-2011, 09:26 PM
And you can hear the awestruck reaction of the DJ & the others in the studio. It's a favourite moment of mine.

Glenn.... if only you could hear; we would like to hear new material from you.

Yes, the DJ says "Oh wow! A standing ovation for Glenn by the way!" I love it too!

Freypower
03-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Good grief! I decided to activate this thread because of the Solo Collection anniversary & what do I find:

'Why doesn't Glenn release the song After Hours'?! :partytime:

Anyway despite the somewhat disappointing showing of the four 'newer' songs in the recent Survivor game, I still love three of them & have seen the other live - and will probably see it again next month (it's April for me now). As has been said, this is a good introduction to Glenn's solo work.

sodascouts
03-31-2012, 08:07 PM
What a cool coincidence!

UndertheWire
06-08-2015, 01:36 PM
So I was wondering when the new songs were recorded. "Call On Me" had to be 1993 to fit in with the tv series, but what about the others? I know he mentioned a plan to make a Nashville album called "Common Ground" when he was promoting "Strange Weather". Had he already written and recorded the others before the reunion? If not, did he offer them for the band or just want to keep them to himself? It shows he was still writing upbeat songs so I wish it come up with one for HFO.

Some of the backing for "Common Ground" reminds me of a Travis Tritt "Take It Easy".

sodascouts
06-08-2015, 01:56 PM
The country "Girl from Yesterday" was definitely intended for his planned country outing (funny that now it's Don doing that). Presumably, he offered up what he thought would work best with the Eagles - he may have even offered up more than one, and decided which would be best with Don - and the best of what was leftover was what appeared on The Solo Collection.

I doubt Glenn hoarded anything because he knew that what appeared on HFO would reach far more people, and he'd want to put his best foot forward, one would think. There are considerations that would affect what he chose - He may have chosen something more harmony-oriented to take advantage of the Eagles' vocal power, and he would want to offer something that would sound good live. The original intent was an acoustic album, remember - "Learn to Be Still" and "Love Will Keep Us Alive" fit that mold, too. They scrambled to write "Get Over It" after it became a broader album; that was also the only song that wasn't a solo song modified to be an Eagles song, so that also tells you something.

UndertheWire
06-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Ah, I hadn't realised HFO may have been intended to be accoustic.

I think to some extent I've been influenced by Felder's sneering about TGFY but then I listen to the songs on this and on "Strange Weather" and it's clear that Glenn wasn't struggling to write good songs at that time, so it must have been a deliberate choice. (I'm not that familiar with TGFY as the only version I have is on the HFO DVD)

Freypower
06-08-2015, 05:50 PM
The sneering about TGFY was totally unjustified & one of the more contemptible aspect of Felder's endless criticism of Glenn. When I had the good fortune to see it in 2013, it was just wonderful. I think I'm the only person on this board who has seen it live twice - and come to that I may posssibly be the only person who saw it during the HFO tour. It was played in December 1995, unlike GOI which had been dropped. Felder gets that wrong as well. He asserts that TGFY was dropped very quickly.

I still love Call On Me, This Way To Happiness & Common Ground. They deserve wider recognition. So which song does he choose to play ? The decidedly inferior Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed.

sodascouts
06-08-2015, 06:07 PM
I've said this before, but "This Way to Happiness" is one of his strongest solo vocals ever.

AlreadyGone95
06-08-2015, 08:52 PM
I bought this cd from Amazon last week, and I didn't even know that there were new songs on it! :blush::doh:. I bought to have some of Glenn's solo songs to play over at my uncle's and elsewhere. (I love my records, but they're not portable!) Unfortunately, my main cd player just quit on me. Luckily, my bluray player plays cds and it's hooked up to some great speakers (sorry about the noise, mom lol). I thought that this cd was the best bang for my buck as for as complications of Glenn's solo work. I got it really chθap new.
I'm waiting for the cd to come in and then I'll have to check out the new songs. :)

AlreadyGone95
06-12-2015, 04:18 PM
With all of the excitement over Don Henley's new album being released soon, I nearly forgot to say that my copy of this album came in today( alongside cd copies of Strange Weather and On the Border ). My uncle managed to fix an old boombox of mine, so I have my usual listening format set back up. I'll give the new songs a listen to after I mow the grass.

Funk 50
06-13-2015, 05:10 AM
I'm not sure exactly what is on Solo Collection, but I reckon with that and Strange Weather you have a pretty good overview of Glenn's solo output, although neither include the Frey tracks I listen to most; Lovers Moon and Two Hearts.

Freypower
06-13-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure exactly what is on Solo Collection, but I reckon with that and Strange Weather you have a pretty good overview of Glenn's solo output, although neither include the Frey tracks I listen to most; Lovers Moon and Two Hearts.

"This Way to Happiness" (Frey, Oliver, Tempchin) – 3:26
"Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed?" (Tempchin, Whitlock) – 4:05
"Common Ground" (Frey, Tempchin) – 4:43
"Call on Me" (Frey, Tempchin) – 4:10
"The One You Love" (Frey, Tempchin) – 4:33
"Sexy Girl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_Girl_%28Glenn_Frey_song%29)" (Frey, Tempchin) – 3:30
"Smuggler's Blues" (Frey, Tempchin) – 3:50
"The Heat Is On (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heat_Is_On_%28Glenn_Frey_song%29)" (Harold Faltermeyer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Faltermeyer), Keith Forsey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Forsey)) – 3:46
"You Belong to the City (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Belong_to_the_City)" (Frey, Tempchin) – 5:52
"True Love" (Frey, Tempchin) – 4:40
"Soul Searchin'" (Cameron, Frey, Tempchin) – 5:35
"Part of Me, Part of You" (Frey, Tempchin) – 5:57
"I've Got Mine" (Frey, Tempchin) – 5:35
"River of Dreams" (Frey, Tempchin) – 6:08
"Rising Sun/Brave New World" (Frey, Oliver, Scheiner, Tempchin) – 7:00
"Strange Weather" (live) (Frey, Tempchin, Oliver) – 5:04 (only available on the import version)

You mention Two Hearts. That is one of my three least favourite Frey songs (the other two are Sexy Girl & Better In The USA).

AlreadyGone95
06-13-2015, 06:22 PM

If you're talking to me, I have Glenn's first 3 albums on vinyl (No Fun Aloud, Allnighter x3, and Soul Searchin). The only album that I don't own of his is After Hours. I do eventually want to get those 3 on cd for ease of use/playing. I bought Solo collection so that I could have some of Glenn's songs to hear on the go. Strange Weather was available for a nice price on Amazon on cd, so I got it as well.

sodascouts
06-13-2015, 08:39 PM
You mention Two Hearts. That is one of my three least favourite Frey songs (the other two are Sexy Girl & Better In The USA).

It's my least favorite, but to each his/her own! I'm glad there are some who appreciate its inclusion on Soul Searchin'. Glenn must've liked it too, after all, so I try to resist completely trashing it. I adore 90% of his music so I can tolerate what I perceive to be a misstep, and again, there are others who obviously enjoy it.

Freypower
06-13-2015, 09:08 PM
I made a statement about my own opinions. I said nothing about what others may or may not think about the song.:worried:

sodascouts
06-13-2015, 09:18 PM
Did you think I was chastising you? Your latest post sounds like some kind of a justification of the earlier one, which is quite unnecessary in this case. I was agreeing with you, after all.

Moving on....

One thing I think is very cool about the Solo Collection is the inclusion of one of my favorite deep cuts - and one of my top 10 Frey tracks overall - "Brave New World." I don't know why he included it, but I'm thrilled he did so!

Funk 50
06-14-2015, 06:07 AM
I love the ending of Brave New World. It takes an, already great song up another notch or two. I'd have Aqua Tranquillo rather than Rising Sun to represent Glenn's short instrumentals. It's up there with the Grammy winner IMHO.

I wonder why they lobbed 30 seconds off Smuggler's Blues. It's 4:19 on The Allnighter album.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Wow...I'd never put Two Hearts as a favorite, but I do like it a lot and often give it a repeat and listen to it more than once when the CD is in.

Funk 50
06-14-2015, 12:50 PM
I'd like to make a slight distinction here. Two Hearts is definitely one of the Glenn Frey tracks I play the most but it doesn't necessarily follow that it's my favourite Frey track.

If I was making a "best of" list, I'm not sure Two Hearts would make the top ten but when I open my Glenn Frey file, it seems to be a track I always add to my play list. I always enjoy listening to it. I think I'm too much of a fan to listen to the obvious tracks.

Flip City is another obscurish Frey track that I think I like more than I'm supposed to. :)

The 4 exclusive tracks that open Solo Collection don't really do anything for me. They're ok but I've never felt the urge to give them a listen in a long while.

UndertheWire
06-14-2015, 01:21 PM
This CD is my default for cleaning the kitchen. As my CD player starts at the beginning each time, this means I hear the four newer tracks most often and rarely make it to the end. Which is fine, as I have the other tracks on the CDs in my car, and that CD-player doesn't lose its place.

Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed is my favourite of the new songs. I don't support the sentiments but it still amuses me. I like Glenn when he's playing in that macho, beer-swigging style (I think of It's Cold in Here in the same way). I probably wouldn't want a whole album of it, but a track here and there is a nice change.

I like Two Hands and it's on my long Glenn Frey playlist (which has about 30 songs).

06-14-2015, 03:49 PM
I love the four original tracks on The Solo Collection, although This Way to Happiness and Common Ground are my favorites.

As far as Two Hearts - I like it okay, but it is probably my least favorite of all Glenn's solo songs. Glenn didn't even write the song, so I often wondered why he decided to record it. As Soda said, I guess he must have liked it.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2015, 04:37 PM
This CD is my default for cleaning the kitchen. As my CD player starts at the beginning each time, this means I hear the four newer tracks most often and rarely make it to the end. Which is fine, as I have the other tracks on the CDs in my car, and that CD-player doesn't lose its place.

Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed is my favourite of the new songs. I don't support the sentiments but it still amuses me. I like Glenn when he's playing in that macho, beer-swigging style (I think of It's Cold in Here in the same way). I probably wouldn't want a whole album of it, but a track here and there is a nice change.

I like Two Hands and it's on my long Glenn Frey playlist (which has about 30 songs).

WBSIMB is awesome live!! To me it's one of those songs that shows off Glenn's versatility. The sexy rasp on this song is a great counterpoint to the dulcet tones of the likes of Tequila Sunrise and The Shadow of Your Smile.

I will try this CD next time I clean my kitchen! I usually have Seger or Van Halen in!

GlennLover
06-17-2015, 03:51 PM
I love WBSIM & I have been fortunate enough to see it performed live!

Funk 50
06-18-2015, 06:30 AM

Two Hands! I wonder what caused that Freudian slip UTW :grin:

I can believe Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed? is awesome live. I noticed it in a set list. I think it was slotted in with the heavy weights Smuggler's Blues, Heartache Tonight and The Heat Is On so it must carry some kick.

UndertheWire
06-18-2015, 10:07 AM
I wish there was something scandalous about my slip, but I was probably thinking of "Too Many Hands".

Funk 50
06-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Two Hearts is better than Two Many Hands... maybe not in it's concept but definitely in it's execution imho

Freypower
06-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Two Hands! I wonder what caused that Freudian slip UTW :grin:

I can believe Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed? is awesome live. I noticed it in a set list. I think it was slotted in with the heavy weights Smuggler's Blues, Heartache Tonight and The Heat Is On so it must carry some kick.

It's OK live. It's marred by the last verse, which I have a problem with.

Heartache Tonight is not in Glenn's current setlist.

AlreadyGone95
03-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Happy 21st anniversary to Glenn's Solo Collection

It can now legally drink :hilarious:. This is one of the first Glenn solo albums I bought in June of last year. Needless to say, it's received a fair amount of play. I like the songs included, but I wish that there was a song or 2 from No Fun Aloud on it. (The One You Love and/or Partytown). Out of the 4 new songs, Call On Me is my favorite, but I like them all.

shunlvswx
03-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Here's a beer to Solo Collection. It is now legal. LOL

Happy 21st Birthday to Solo Collection.

shunlvswx
03-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Happy 22nd Birthday to the Solo Collection album.

sodascouts
03-28-2017, 11:19 PM
You're on your game as usual, Shun!

Yes, happy birthday to it. 22... wow! As I've said elsewhere, I prefer this one to the later one. You get more bang for your buck, with new songs to boot.

UndertheWire
03-29-2017, 04:37 AM
I was reluctant to buy a compilation album, but I'm glad I chose this one. Not only does it have the four new songs but it also has songs that were not hits but that I like a lot, such as Brave New World. This CD is almost a permament fixture in my kitchen.

Happy 22nd Birthday! When this came out I was struggling with a 5 month old baby who is now making his own way in the world.

Delilah
03-29-2017, 12:20 PM
I really like this compilation. I would prefer "The Allnighter" or "Love in the 21st Century" instead of "This Way to Happiness" though, which is the only song here I don't care for.

Witchy Woman
03-30-2017, 01:19 AM
Here's a beer to Solo Collection. It is now legal. LOL

Happy 21st Birthday to Solo Collection.

Go home, Solo Collection !! You're drunk !!

Funk 50
03-31-2017, 03:56 PM
I really like this compilation. I would prefer "The Allnighter" or "Love in the 21st Century" instead of "This Way to Happiness" though, which is the only song here I don't care for.

This Way To Happiness is my favourite from the unreleased tracks. I prefer Glenn's regular albums to his hits collections. Lovers Moon, Two Hearts and Somebody Else are probably the Frey tracks I play most, non of which are on Solo Collection. I always opt for the 6 minute version of The Heat Is On and the 4:17 version of Smuggler's Blues but apart from that it's probably half full of my Frey favourites. 8)

shunlvswx
03-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Happy 23rd Birthday to Glenn's first greatest hits album, Solo Collection.

03-28-2018, 01:01 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SOLO COLLECTION!!!

If you want a compilation CD of Glenn's solo work, I believe this one is a must. I'm reposting the cover art so you can see the tracks that are included. Of course, this was pre-After Hours, but the highlight of the CD are the four original tracks that don't appear on any other album that Glenn released - This Way to Happiness, Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed, Common Ground, and Call On Me. They are all fantastic, IMHO, and definitely worth the cost of the CD alone.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/solocollectioncover.jpg

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/solocollectionback.jpg[/quote]

Glennsallnighter
03-28-2018, 05:01 PM
Yes it’s a great cd and if you want a compilation of Glenn :heart:’s greatest hits it’s the one I’d definitely recommend.

sodascouts
03-28-2018, 06:49 PM
Same here. Love it!

shunlvswx
03-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Happy Belated 24th Birthday to Glenn's very first Greatest Hits album on yesterday.

03-30-2019, 12:32 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO GLENN'S SOLO COLLECTION!!!

It is a great compilation album, and I particularly love the four original previously unreleased songs that he included ...

This Way To Happiness
Common Ground
Call On Me

Since these songs don't appear on any other album, they alone make it worth buying this album.

sodascouts
03-30-2019, 02:19 PM
The vocal on "This Way to Happiness" is absolutely staggering. This is an amazing collection and one every Glenn Frey fan should have.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SOLO COLLECTION!

chaim
03-30-2019, 05:13 PM
Must get it one of these days! 😁

CAinOH
03-30-2019, 05:31 PM
It is a great compilation album, and I particularly love the four original previously unreleased songs that he included ...

This Way To Happiness
Common Ground
Call On Me

Since these songs don't appear on any other album, they alone make it worth buying this album.

Love all four of these songs! Okay, Call On Me came from South of Sunset, where did the other songs appear before this album?

sodascouts
03-31-2019, 08:53 AM
Love all four of these songs! Okay, Call On Me came from South of Sunset, where did the other songs appear before this album?

They were new releases.

03-31-2019, 10:45 AM
Yep CA - if you've never heard these songs, then this album is a 'must have'. I agree with Soda about Glenn's vocals on 'This Way to Happiness', and I would also say the same about 'Common Ground'. I really love both of those songs. Glenn used to perform 'Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed' in his solo shows, which is a Bobby Whitlock/Jack Tempchin cover. This and 'Call on Me' are both good songs, but not as strong as the first two, IMHO.

CAinOH
03-31-2019, 04:46 PM
Yep CA - if you've never heard these songs, then this album is a 'must have'. I agree with Soda about Glenn's vocals on 'This Way to Happiness', and I would also say the same about 'Common Ground'. I really love both of those songs. Glenn used to perform 'Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed' in his solo shows, which is a Bobby Whitlock/Jack Tempchin cover. This and 'Call on Me' are both good songs, but not as strong as the first two, IMHO.

I have it. And I totally agree about "This Way to Happiness" and "Common Ground." Got the CD because I found "Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed" on YouTube (just the vocals). Absolutely right, those two songs are fantastic!

03-28-2020, 01:04 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SOLO COLLECTION!!!

Just wanted to recognize the anniversary of this awesome compilation of Glenn's solo work, even though it pre-dates After Hours by quite a few years. l adore the four original, and hugely-underrated, tracks that don't appear on any other album that Glenn released - This Way to Happiness, Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed, Common Ground, and Call On Me. They are all fantastic, IMHO, and definitely worth buying the CD for.

CAinOH
03-28-2020, 02:37 PM
"Common Ground" is so appropriate for this time. Love this collection as a whole, too.

CAinOH
03-28-2020, 03:34 PM
And... may I add? When I think of "twenty-five years ago" I'm still thinking of the seventies. Now it's the nineties? Holy crap...

Glennsallnighter
03-29-2020, 01:40 PM
I played it today. Its certainly a quality work and totally underrated. Also so appropriate in these times is the final track 'Brave New World'. He wrote is using Stephen Kings 'The Stand' as the inspiration and I wouldn't be reading that novel right now. Its cutting too close to the bone!

UndertheWire
03-30-2020, 08:10 AM
I listened to it recently. I had to revert to using the CD player in the kitchen rather than internet radio and that's the CD that was already loaded. I do enjoy it.

CAinOH
03-30-2020, 08:43 AM
I played it today. Its certainly a quality work and totally underrated. Also so appropriate in these times is the final track 'Brave New World'. He wrote is using Stephen Kings 'The Stand' as the inspiration and I wouldn't be reading that novel right now. Its cutting too close to the bone!

That's what was playing in my car on my way to work this morning. (Yes, essential workers at least until the Ohio Primary is done; yes, only 4 of us here in this big building.)