PDA

View Full Version : Hotel California documentary BBC4 tomorrow

glenneaglesfan
01-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Tomorrow night at 9pm there is a two hour documentary based on the Barney Hoskyns book, 'Hotel California', about the west coast music scene in the 60s and 70s. I will try and record it on dvd, but if anyone else in the UK is reading this, perhaps they could record it as well as a backup.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh GEF - thank you, thank you. That would be great if you can do that. It should be very interesting! :shock:

Brooke
01-07-2007, 04:19 PM
I've been reading that book. It's very enlightening about that whole 70s scene! Anyone else read it?

And I'd love to see the dvd, too, if anyone gets it.

EasyFeeling
01-08-2007, 10:51 AM
GEF, hopefully it works. I would love to see it too.

sodascouts
01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I read the Eagles parts of the book - it was interesting, but nothing in there surprised me! And thanks for the effort, GEF.

glenneaglesfan
01-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Ok, with the help of other half I have the documentary on dvd, hurray! It devoted more time to the Eagles than in the book, and had interviews with Bernie and JD, among others. There were some Henry Diltz stills, and a few bits of the BBC concert, plus that very rare video of the band singing Witchy Woman at an art preview. I think you'll enjoy it. Could I send a copy to one of you to copy and pass on?
(just scrolls up to check Dreamer's av again)

01-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh - that is wonderful GEF. I would volunteer, but I don't have the software to burn DVDs. I'm sure some of our other board members can help us out though. :wink: It sounds like the Witchy Woman segment may be the same one that is on the "Under the Covers' DVD. Hopefully, there won't be any regional problem with the DVD.

BTW - I only posted this so you don't have to keep scrolling to see my AV. I feel so popular all of a sudden - everyone wants me to post a lot lately. I just don't understand why! :D :D :D

EasyFeeling
01-09-2007, 03:28 PM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif

You're so thoughtful, thanks Dreamer. :wink:
I'm sorry I don't have a DVD burner either.

sodascouts
01-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I can copy it if you send it to me, GEF. Let me know if you still have my address, or if you need me to send it again. Thank you so much!

glenneaglesfan
01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks, Nancy. Z has kindly offered as well, so a copy is now on its way.

Z
01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
GEF's disc arrived today and the quality is exceptional. Thanks, GEF!

In its' current format, it will not play on standard US DVD players, but it does play on the PC. Hubby has offered to try something that may get it to play in the DVD player. If you will all give him a day or two, I'll let you know when it is available and in what format.

sodascouts
01-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for going to such trouble, GEF and Z. :)

timfan
01-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks GEF and Z! It sounds like it's a great documentary!

glenneaglesfan
01-18-2007, 04:58 AM
Glad it arrived, Z. I forgot about the region 1 and 2 business, but pleased that it plays in the pc. Good luck to your other half!

timfan
01-18-2007, 10:44 AM
The region one and two thing can be a pain...even with CD's. Thanks GEF for recording this and Z ( and Mr. Z) for burning it. it is so great that we can all share this :D really feels like a community!

EasyFeeling
01-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I assume I won't have any problems playing the DVD, right GEF?

glenneaglesfan
01-18-2007, 04:11 PM
It should be ok in Europe, I hope, and a copy is on its way! (They have to be recorded real time, so I had to wait until my Thursday off to get it done)

Z
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Okay, here's the scoop. Hubby's first attempts were unsuccessful, but he did consult with an extremely software savvy nephew at today's family gathering. So he is now in search of a recommended software which he is told will remove the regional coding.

I don't want to hold anyone up from seeing this special. If you would like a copy in its' present format (viewable on the PC only), please PM me. Otherwise, I will keep you posted on his efforts. He anticipates results by next weekend.

sodascouts
01-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Good to hear he's making progress - I'll go ahead and wait to see what happens! If this works, PM me with the software. If it's not too expensive, I might look into getting some for the Region 2 DVDs I own.

Z
01-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Hubby has been unsuccessful at recoding the DVD so it can only be viewed on the PC. If you are interested in having a copy, please PM me.

Sorry for the delay. I had really hoped he could get it worked out.

glenneaglesfan
01-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Drat - I didn't realise home recorded dvds were still region coded. I was going to take in a copy to my son who has a dvd rewriter, but when I was checking which copy to take in, I found the dvd player had packed in - that adds to my digital camera, the microwave, the kettle, a cd player, etc etc. I think the Millenium bug has struck at last!

01-24-2007, 11:15 PM
lol GEF. Well Z, thank hubby for all his efforts for us anyway. So now, did you actually tell him what he was trying to copy? :D