PDA

View Full Version : Don as a special guest at the Jeff Porcaro Tribute Concert 1992

EasyFeeling
03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
I was lucky to get a recording of a Toto concert or rather a tribute concert to Jeff Porcaro from 1992, Universal Amphitheater, Los Angeles.

Special guests:
Michael McDonald
Don Henley
Donald Fagen
Denny Dias
Boz Scaggs
Eddie Van Halen
George Harrison
David Crosby

Don did 3 songs... Dirty Laundry, You Better Hang Up and Come Rain or Come Shine. I've never heard the last 2 songs... are these original Don songs? :hmm:

Ive always been a dreamer
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Cool EF - You Better Hang Up is from Don's first solo album "I Can't Stand Still", but Come Rain or Come Shine is a cover. Interesting choices of songs though, I agree.

EasyFeeling
03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Thank you, Dreamer. I'm a big Toto fan and love to hear them playing together with Don. Steve Lukather introduced him as one of his best friends. The entire concert is a real treat

TimothyBFan
03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Wow EF--that sounds really cool. I was a big Toto fan that kinda lost track of them shortly before Jeff died. Loved Jeff. Did you ever see any of the videos on YouTube when he was drumming for Boz Scaggs before Toto? He was just a kid. I think Steve & Mike Pocaro were also in Boz's band at the time.

EasyFeeling
03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Yes :D It's sooooooooooo cool :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cymheECMj34

I have the DVD from the Paris concert in 1990 which is their best ever. In the extra footage on the DVD you could see how very close the friendship was between Steve and Jeff.

I feel so sorry for Mike who is suffering from ALS :-( First Jeff, now Mike. Toto is reunited for the last time to do a mini tour in Europe to support Mike and his family.

A bit off topic now LOL

DonFan
04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
EF, that is quite a find. Come Rain or Come Shine is one of my all-time favorite Don cover songs, but to hear that he did You Better Hang Up--now that is unusual.

EasyFeeling
04-01-2010, 04:24 PM
In case you don't have it and want me to upload it let me know. Steve Lukather playing guitar and Don singing, it sounds cool.

As far as I know this recording is pure, nothing edited. You can hear how brilliant they were back then. Eddie Van Halen sings Ain't Talking About Love and I have never heard a better version than this. Hold The Line is almost 14 minutes long, it's fantastic!

You can see Don here for second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZlfKCJAEY&feature=related

Delilah
11-02-2017, 06:39 PM
This concert has been (re-?)released on a 2-cd set and is available at Amazon UK. It includes Don’s live performances of “Dirty Laundry” “You Better Hang Up” and “Come Rain or Shine.” He also joins the other musicians at the end performing “With a Little Help from My Friends” (the Joe Cocker arrangement).

The Jeff Porcaro Tribute Concert by Toto & Friends
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072ZLVP5C/ref=pe_2989321_221730111_em_sim_4_ti