PDA

View Full Version : April Fool's 2010

sodascouts
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
ATTN: Copyright issues force me to make some board modifications

After working closely with a lawyer, I've decided to make some modifications to the way we do things around here to ensure we are never sued.

First, over the next couple of weeks, I'm moving the board to a new URL that does not mention the Eagles or any member, lyrics, associated aspect etc. Accordingly, I will change the name to something that does not include any of the above - something like "Unofficial Fan Message Board Dedicated to a Rock Band." I will also delete all my custom styles and return to VBulletin Default.

While I can make a lot of changes, I need your cooperation to make others. Here are the new rules regarding potential copyright violation:

1) No usage of avatars, signature banners, or any images of the Eagles. This means the deletion of the photo threads. If photos are posted elsewhere, I'll have to delete them. True, they are not copyrighted to the Eagles, but they are copyrighted to someone, somewhere. If you took the photo yourself and therefore do own the copyright... well, that doesn't matter, because it's associated with the Eagles, and they are more awesome than you are.

2) No posting links to videos of any kind, involving anyone other than yourself - and not even then if you are doing something Eagles-related. You may link to the official site so that people can view their promotional videos, however.

3) No posting of lyrics or material from liner notes. Song and album titles are permitted as long as they are used for informational or promotional purposes, such as a list of their hits. The exception is that you may post who wrote the song. It is not permitted, however, to post who played on what song.

4) No posting of links to other sites that might potentially violate copyright of anyone in any way at some point (you must thoroughly investigate each site before linking to it, and then keep checking back regularly to make sure they haven't done anything after you posted the link that might cause the link to become unacceptable). It doesn't matter whether or not it's an Eagles-related site, as the Eagles do not want to be associated with those sites in any way, even tangentially on an unofficial message board.

5) No usernames that include the name of an Eagle or derivative thereof. The following users must change their names: AngieFrey, AzEaglesFan, bernie's bender, ClownPrinceLover (associated names also not permitted), DonFan, don hurst, donfoster, dutcheagle, eaglesfanAWC, EagleLady, eagleman, eaglemaniac, EaglesRock, EaglesChicks, EaglesDude, eaglesfan, eaglesfever, eaglesfreak, EaglesHenleyFan, eaglesmusiclive, eaglesnroses, eaglesrock, eaglestogether, eaglesvet, FanOfHenley, felderstheman, fl_eagles_fan, FrenchFrey, freyfanatic, freyfantastic61, freygirl, Freypower, Fryme, GetTheLeadonOut, Glenn's Girl, glenneaglesfan, glennfreyfan, GlennHoney, GlennLover, Glennsallnighter, henleyfreychick, henleyhasdawned08, HenleyHound, HLIVEAGLES, I♥DonHenley, IrvMan (potentially associated with Azoff, who is associated with the Eagles). jdubfan, JoeFan, joescool, JoeWalshFan1, JoeWalshLover!, Mrs Frey, Mrs Henley, Mrs. Schmit, mrsjoewalsh, Randy Meisner Fan, Randy's Girl, rebeccaloveseagles, rowdywalsh74, Screamin' Eagle, SuperFrey, TakeItEasyTim, tbs fanatic, tbsfan, ti big eagles fan, timfan, timlin43, TimothyBFan, TimothyLover, Timothy's Girl, UK TimFan. If anyone is actually named Glenn, Don, Tim, Joe, etc. - it's irrelevant. That cannot be your username, nor can you sign that name. Again, remember how much more awesome the Eagles are than you.

6) No usernames that include song titles, album titles, or lyrics copyrighted to the Eagles, or a derivative thereof that can be associated with the Eagles. While it is permitted to mention song titles in an informative way, as I stated above, using them as your username is not acceptable. Users who must change their names: alreadygone2005, Bitter Creek, Desperado, EasyFeeling, farewell, Feed the Fire, gardentender, Haywire, Hotel California 80, how ya doin' (associated), Ive always been a dreamer, Just Another Hired Hand, LittleTinGod, LWKUA, lyin' eyes, MidnightFlyer, Miss Ghost, neverluvulikeido, Ordinary Average Guy, Outlaw (associate with "Outlaw Man"), OutlawMan, OutlawMan07, Perfect Little Sister, Pink Coat Girl (associated with Glenn's pink coat he wore at some shows), Prettymaid, Scarlet Sun, Sexy Girl, Silent Spring, tequila girl (associated with "Tequila Sunrise"), The Bomber, The Confessor, thelongrun, The Perfect Beast, The Girl of Summer (associated with "The Boys of Summer"), TIEasy, Tiffany Twisted, Troubadour (associated), WildThyme (potentially associated), Will (potentially associated with member of backing band), Witchy Mummy (associated with "Witchy Woman")

7) Along the same lines, no usernames that are copyrighted or associated with anyone else besides the user. The Eagles would not want to encourage such a thing even if it doesn't relate directly to them. The following users must change their names: AmarilloByMorning (a George Strait cover), Angel (a Stevie Nicks song), anne-of-gg (Anne of Green Gables), arcadia (a book by Sidney), barbie, californiadreamer7 (close to "California Dreamin'"), canadianladydi (associated with the late princess), ChristComesAlive (copyrighted to Jesus Christ), Christianmoche (same), ezekielbulver (CS Lewis), fmrocks (associated with Fleetwood Mac), forscarlett (Gone with the Wind), Gypsy in the Palace (Jimmy Buffett), Highway Woman (Stevie Nicks), janisjoplin, Karen Carpenter, Kit Kat, Legolandfan, livestrong06 (associate with the charity), melrose (possible association to canceled show Melrose Place), Over & Over (a Nelly song), RamboIV, Roxy (potentially associated with club), Scooby, scully6 (associated with XFiles), Steevie (could be associated with any number of famous Stevies), Woodstock

=================

Now, after that's taken care of, I'll be able to sleep a lot better at night.

Note: Since only I can change your username, please let me know what you want it to be as soon as possible. Feel free to post it in this thread, if you like. Also, remember to remove your avatars and signatures (not only images but any other Eagles reference or association you may have included in written form).

Troubadour
04-01-2010, 01:28 PM
LMAO. Literally - LMAO!

No word of a lie, as I read those first few sentences, my heart rate started to increase rapidly. Then I realised. (Give me a break, it's almost dinner time here, so my defences were down...)

Too funny, Nancy!!! :bow: :lol:

Brooke
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
April Fool!

Gotcha! :rofl:

You did have my attention for a second or two! But I had noticed the default style of the board changed during my visit, so I was thinking something must be up!

Soda, girl, you are good! Very funny!

MikeA
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
So Nanc, If I understand correctly, only you, Ticky and I are allowed to keep our names? Ugh....Molly and Brooke I guess. Maybe there are a very few others.

tequila girl
04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Phew.....Had me worried there for a minute!:faint:

TimothyBFan
04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I am NOT amused!!!! Larry has just called 911 and the ambulance should arrive any time--I hope I make it till they get here. I have my beautiful pictures of Timothy clutched to my chest as I type this while I contemplate what my new username will be. :hilarious:

BTW-Soda ---disregard that text I sent you a bit ago! I wasn't in my right mind! :blush:

Ive always been a dreamer
04-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Oh - I was SO on to you this time. I just didn't want to be the first one to out you! :ziplip:

:thumbsup: :headbang: :cheers: :rockon: :applause:

DonFan
04-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Wow--Good one!
APRIL FOOL!

EagleLady
04-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I almost passed out :shock:

luvthelighthouse
04-01-2010, 05:09 PM
You had me through point #3. I was thinking, boy this site is gonna blow! LOL Then it hit me! Good one... you are always great at pulling one over on us. :thumbsup:

Glennhoney
04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
..OMG..I had heart palpitations...trying to think of a new name for myself...phew!!!!!!!!!!......good one!!!!!!!!!:faint:

EasyFeeling
04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh God, I almost had a heart attack lol. Too funny :D

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I knew the minute I read the heading. But Lou and I had been chatting last night on MSN and we had been wondering what Nancy would do this year. So I wasn't worried. 'Dublingirl' wouldn't have been a bad option anyway as a username. Also with the time difference we were well used to being 'fooled' by the time I read it!

BUT

Well Done Nancy!! You have surpassed yourself this time. I loved it!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Prettymaid
04-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Nancy girl, you had me hook, line and sinker!. After a long day at work I had forgotten that it was April Fool's Day (even though I wrote the date 1,247,816 times today.) :wink:

As I read I kept thinking, "What's going to be left of the board when we're through with all of this?" :weep:It wasn't until I scrolled down to read everybody's reaction that I got it. :blush:

Shame on you Soda!:x ... :-| ... :hilarious:

timfan
04-01-2010, 07:32 PM
you had me til about half way thru.... then i realised.. hey doesn't nanc do an april's fools joke DOH!

Super Frey
04-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I almost :faint: myself

Freypower
04-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I swear, for about 10 seconds I said 'what'? and then I scrolled down a bit and realised. ME, the avatar queen, with no avatars? :razz:

As for changing my name :yuck: I don't know what I would do if such a scenario were to occur.

Well done Nancy!

ETA: My board style didn't change at all - I'm using the Hotel California style at the moment.

UK TimFan
04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
I went :jawdrop: when I saw the forum colour, and then did even more :jawdrop: the more I read.

Definitely 20 out of 10 for effort and thoroughness.
But I'll be prepared next year Soda. :-D

TimothyBFan
04-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Nancy asked me an interesting question this afternoon-what would my new user name had been if I had to change it?

I think that would be interesting to find out what we all would have done if it had actually been true.

Mine I had already decided as I read the above---I also belong to a Cars & a Sweet board. My Cars board I use TimothyBFan also. But on the Sweet board I go by littlewillyhoo. Stop laughing!! For those of you who know a bit of Sweet--they had a song in the early 70's called Little Willy (that was actually the song that started the love affair I've had with Sweet-of course, as I've said before, in the 4th grade when the song came out, it made my life a living hell with chants of "little Willy,Willy won't ...go home!" :scowl:

eaglesvet
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey FP, wouldn't you go by the name, "Madame ?" ;)

At various times in my life, completely unrelated to each other, I've gone by "evalou" (in fact, it's part of my email addresses), so I'm sure that's what I would have had to change it to. It has a nice country twang to it, don't you think? :laugh: Actually, that's how it started...in vet school, when my roommate and friend and I were going to a "country hoe-down" at Ohio State, we had to come up with country bumpkin names to match our country bumpkin outfits. So, we were Cindy Mae, Pammy Sue, and Eva Lou. (Thank goodness my mom had enough common sense to NOT name me that!)

Freypower
04-01-2010, 10:33 PM
I suppose I could be 'Madame Glenn' which would be a play on Madame George. Actually the first thing I thought of was Moralmalnutrition. A bit longwinded though. I would maybe settle for something like pompoyperson or something inane like that. I don't like using my actual name in these things.

Although if I called myself Just Glenn you could all address me by my actual initials which are JG.:headbang:

sodascouts
04-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm afraid those would all be unacceptable under the new rules, FP! No Eagle names or derivatives allowed!

cynd1231
04-01-2010, 11:24 PM
TOO FUNNY.......this beats all the other April Fool's garbage I heard all day! I think you should move this over to the "Good For A Laugh" thread after midnight!

sodascouts
04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Glad you guys got a laugh out of it! I'll move it soon.

Hope everyone had a fun April Fool's Day!

Prettymaid
04-02-2010, 08:04 AM
But on the Sweet board I go by littlewillyhoo.

:hilarious: Sounds like a disparaging term for a part of the male anatomy!

I've never been a member of any other message board besides The Border and would have to give a lot of thought to what my 'new' user name would be :ack: and now if you'll pardon me :cry: I don't want to think about it anymore. :weep:

:wink:

cynd1231
04-02-2010, 08:10 AM
And I already had my new AV figured out.........

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/161/pictures-of-eagles_MG1584.jpg

Prettymaid
04-02-2010, 08:14 AM
:hilarious: Cynd! They're not quite as cute but...

cynd1231
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
So true, but you get my point. I was thinking about putting it over in the "Caption This" thread! LOL

MikeA
04-02-2010, 08:52 AM
And I already had my new AV figured out.........

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/161/pictures-of-eagles_MG1584.jpg

That's got to be Joe over on the right of the pic. "Like, you want me to do WHAT?"

cynd1231
04-02-2010, 10:56 AM
You're right, Mike...Joe tends to be most expressive in group photos. Did you notice Glenn right next to him...with his feathers ruffled. Makes you wonder what the beef is!!!!!!!

04-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Well cynd - while your new proposed avatar is quite lovely, I'm not sure it would be allowed under the new rules. After all those birds are VERY closely associated with the band, the Eagles, who named themselves after the birds. This is a tough call that will need some further consideration, but I'm not sure that your avatar is going to fly. :lol:

sodascouts
04-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Yep - don't forget the Eagles actually sued the American Eagle Foundation for the URL eagles.org (http://www.eagles.org) to make sure there was no "confusion"! Unfortunately for them, they were unsuccessful and eagles.org (http://www.eagles.org) still belongs to the conservation society.

Brooke
04-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Good grief! I didn't know that.

I may be the only one here, but I'd have to agree with that one. :rolleyes:

Prettymaid
04-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Yep - don't forget the Eagles actually sued the American Eagle Foundation for the URL eagles.org (http://www.eagles.org) to make sure there was no "confusion"! Unfortunately for them, they were unsuccessful and eagles.org (http://www.eagles.org) still belongs to the conservation society.

Well, I guess it depends on who is more awesome - the Eagles or an eagle! :hilarious:

Peekaboo
04-02-2010, 04:23 PM
It looks like my username is safe. Now i'm wondering what username I would choose if I was to choose an Eagley one. :headscratch:

Well, I guess it depends on who is more awesome - the Eagles or an eagle! :hilarious:
You may have to be a little more specific here. Because when you see "an Eagle" I picture Don, Joe, Tim, or Glenn as an individual member or a solo artist. :hilarious: JK

MikeA
04-02-2010, 04:57 PM
You'd be hosed anyway with trying to use anything having to do with Eagles (birds or otherwise). Steve Miller Band released "Fly Like An Eagle" and has the rights to the "Eagle" motif. I'm surprised that SMB didn't sue Eagles the rock band for using that name.

Now, if they'd called themselves the Buzzards, I don't think they'd have been in any danger. Hmmm, there is a Buzzard.org, but it's under construction so maybe our Eagles should sue simply because they might have thought of using Buzzards in the beginning but settled on Eagles.

Actually, I think Buzzard.org is one of the sites scarfed up by the "Domain" brokers.

Freypower
04-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm afraid those would all be unacceptable under the new rules, FP! No Eagle names or derivatives allowed!

I thought of that later. I entirely missed the point of the joke. DOH!:worried:

OK, if I had to rename myself I would be something like 'bluerooster'. That means something to me but is entirely irrelevant to the board. (Another possibility would be 'redliverbird' but that is probably too obvious at least to people in England).

Although, re Buzzards, I once tried to write a spoof Eagles reunion story where I called them the Vultures, so I could be Vulture.

cynd1231
04-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Dreamer, just for the record (where have we heard THAT phrase before?) I was just kidding...happened across the picture with four birds and couldn't resist. I can assure you I would be a lot more creative if the need arose......so if that pix wouldn't fly I have a lot of other ideas to 'hatch'

tequila girl
04-03-2010, 04:55 AM
(Another possibility would be 'redliverbird' but that is probably too obvious at least to people in England).
Particularly people in Liverpool!:nod:

04-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Dreamer, just for the record (where have we heard THAT phrase before?) I was just kidding...happened across the picture with four birds and couldn't resist. I can assure you I would be a lot more creative if the need arose......so if that pix wouldn't fly I have a lot of other ideas to 'hatch'

Oh cynd, I know you were just kidding about your avatar, and I got quite a chuckle out of it and everyone's else's responses. I was also kidding too, and I'm sorry if my post didn't come across that way. Sometimes it's hard for me to communicate my true feelings on the board, which is why I try to use emotions when I'm joking around. But even then, things can get 'lost in translation' sometimes. This whole thread is a hoot!!! :wink: :nod: