PDA

View Full Version : Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Cosmic Cowboy
04-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I was wondering if there is any Ozark Mountain Daredevils fans on here? I discovered them a few weeks ago, and they are pretty good. Glyn Johns produced their first two albums. Their eponymous debut album, It'll Shine When It Shines, The Car Over the Lake Album, and Men From Earth are all good. They are more acoustic and more humorous than the Eagles, but are still a decent country-rock band. Their biggest hit Jackie Blue is good, but not really representative of their other work, which I think is better than Jackie Blue.

MikeA
04-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I know 'em. Back in 72 or 73, I saw them when they opened for Doobie Bros at the University of Arkansas. Many people, including me, thought they were better live than the Doobs.

I have to say though, that I was heavy into Led Zep at the time and didn't really follow the Daredevils...nor the other two really popular bands back then in Arkansas (Doobies and Black Oak Arkansas).

Prettymaid
04-13-2010, 07:14 PM
I never really cared that much for Jackie Blue. When I thing of OMD I think of If You Want To Get To Heaven. Love that song! :headbang:

bernie's bender
04-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I'll bet I've played "gypsy forest" about a million times....

a real 'players' band... kind of the hillbilly steely dan. I think they are great and it is really fun to go back and listen to what they were trying to do... just great stuff....

their other hit "if you wanna get to heaven" is a good tune. we're gonna play it when we play the jeepers jamboree this summer...

the drunk rock climbers will go ape fo sho!

Cosmic Cowboy
04-13-2010, 10:52 PM
My favorite OMD songs are It Probably Always Will, It'll Shine When It Shines, You Made It Right, and Fly Away Home.

MikeA
04-14-2010, 06:41 AM
<<Hillbilly Steely Dan>>

I like that! Yeah, they were from way back in the sticks, but Springfield, Missouri is a lot closer to civilization than where Blackoak came from! Northeast Arkansas is really back there where the owls hoot! But they were homefolks to us back then. We pretty much all had straw in our hair (and shine in our bellys!).

Both OMD and BOA were "local bands" to any rocker in Arkansas or Missouri back then. And of course, The University of Arkansas in Fayetteville was popular turf for such bands.

TimothyBFan
04-14-2010, 07:57 AM
I never really cared that much for Jackie Blue.

Really? :eyebrow: I don't know why that surprises me. I still love that song and I like If You Want To Go To Heaven also. Really didn't pay much attention to them to be honest.

Now I'm sorry but you gotta LOVE Black Oak Arkansas and Jim Dandy right? :hilarious: I'm serious!!! LOVE Jim Dandy!

Brooke
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
I really liked the OMD, especially Jackie Blue and If You Wanna Get To Heaven. Didn't follow them, but have one vinyl....somewhere in the stack.

I also have a cassette tape of Black Oak Arkansas-Keep The Faith. Loved it back in the day! I think I read something about Jim Dandy being in some kind of trouble a while back.

Prettymaid
04-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Really? :eyebrow: I don't know why that surprises me. I still love that song and I like If You Want To Go To Heaven also. Really didn't pay much attention to them to be honest.

Okay Willie you're making me think too hard this morning! :hilarious:

Seriously, after you questioned it I thought about it and it's the falsetto parts I don't like. I like the rest of the song.

bernie's bender
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
<<Hillbilly Steely Dan>>

I like that! Yeah, they were from way back in the sticks, but Springfield, Missouri is a lot closer to civilization than where Blackoak came from! Northeast Arkansas is really back there where the owls hoot! But they were homefolks to us back then. We pretty much all had straw in our hair (and shine in our bellys!).

Both OMD and BOA were "local bands" to any rocker in Arkansas or Missouri back then. And of course, The University of Arkansas in Fayetteville was popular turf for such bands.

my dad's side of the family is from Springfield, MO and eastern Ky... I mostly see 'hillbilly' as a term of endearment and authenticity. The Devils definitely embraced the hippie, 'back to the land' movement and focused on their roots... so, no offense intended... as they say, I are one.

MikeA
04-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Oh, I took NO offense at that BB. I'm a hick and have never had any hesitancy in fessing up to being a Hillbilly Hick <LOL>. Like you said, I'm sort of proud of it...certainly not ashamed of it.

I remember back in '74 or '75 I had to make a trip out to Salt Lake City to present a major revision to a Loan System that I'd written. It had to do with opening up Banking to Simple Interest calculations on loans where before that time, Banks used a "Rule of 78's" or "Sum Of the Balances" to compute interest.

Anyway, I had to make a presentation to the CEO, President and Executive VP along with all the officers in the Loan Department. I was shocked that when I finished making points, I would ask for any questions or comments and NEVER received ANY feedback! That was unbelievable because the entire concept was so "bleeding edge" type stuff back then that I KNEW the Bankers were chompin' at the bits to figure out how they could make it work and I'd come up with the methodology to let them do it.

I commented later to the manager of the Data Center about the lack of participation in the discussion. He got red in the face and apologized to me before answering me. He said that they were dumbfounded by my accent...and the fact that my hair was about halfway down my back!

I went out to dinner with them later that evening and after that everything was OK. I've lost a lot of that Hillbilly accent over the years in Kansas, but if you are from "there", you never really lose all of it. And you never lose the colloquialisms.

MikeA
04-16-2010, 12:32 PM
This topic has stirred my interests in these two bands (OMD and BOA). I like them both but the difference is that I can listen to a LOT more of OMD music than I can listen to Black Oak.

The thing is, Jim Mangrum's (Jim "Dandy" Mangrum) voice is so unique that it tends to make all of their songs sound a lot alike. OMD's split the vocal duties quite a bit and they have a lot more variety in the types of songs they do.

But if you want OMD uniqueness....listen to the imortal "Chicken Train"!