PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Bowl April 20, 2010

StephUK
04-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Found this link to a review of Tuesdays show

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/04/live-review-the-eagles-close-out-their-hollywood-bowl-run.html

Steph

sodascouts
04-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Ooooh great find, Steph! I'm gonna make this the start of a new thread for this show.

sodascouts
04-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Bob Lefsetz (http://lefsetz.com/) just sent out this commentary, structured around his attendance of this concert, via his listserv (it's also on his archive (http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2010/04/21/eagles-at-hollywood-bowl/)):
"You might not understand it. You might be well-adjusted, you might fit in, you might be happy where you are. But some of us need a fresh start. We need to leave, move on, to a place where we can be accepted on our own terms, where we can reinvent ourselves, live the life in our heads, the one in the Beach Boys songs.

At this late date, California even has natives. But they're unlike the denizens of New York. They've got no need to say L.A. is the best, that nothing compares. But they don't want to live anywhere else. Because of the lifestyle. Sure, the weather's great, but where else can you live where no one else is in your business, where you can strive to be everything you want to be?

This is the California Dream.

And we're all dreamers.

Glenn Frey's a dreamer. Don Henley and Joe Walsh too. From Michigan, Texas and New Jersey respectively. They all came to L.A. To express themselves, to make it.

And making it used to be so different. The best and the brightest went into music. A world where victory meant you were beholden to no one, where you got all the pussy you could handle and had more than enough money to pay for drugs and the whims of your imagination.

They call those people bankers today. Wall Streeters have the money. Sure, an athlete can make twenty mil a year for a while, but then he flames out. A musician? He's making bupkes in comparison. And then there's Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg, the Google twins. They're the rock stars of today. On sheer wit not only are their enterprises raining coin, they're in each and every one of our homes, they permeate our lifestyle. Steve Jobs says the iPad is the next big thing and everybody checks it out. We use Google multiple times a day. And Facebook is the new FM radio, a place where the like-minded congregate.

Yes, that used to be our clubhouse. The FM dial. Everywhere we went, there was a station just for us. But us was each and every baby boomer. You can't find a boomer who doesn't know 'Hotel California'. May hate it, just like people pooh-pooh the iPad, but there's not a boomer alive who hasn't heard it. Whereas a large part of the population hasn't even heard today's Top Ten. And those making music are sold out whores, tying in with corporations to get their vapid message across. And what exactly is the Black Peas' message? That they know how to make money? You've got a feeling that you want to touch her humps, her lady lumps...welcome to the parade, you're adding no insight into humanity, this is Life 101.

But it used to be different. We used to listen to what the acts had to say. We wanted the insight in addition to feeling good. The deejays were our best friends. We went to the gig to commune with our brethren. And the music played...it was ubiquitous, everywhere you went in the summer of '72 you heard 'Take It Easy'. 'One Of These Nights' in the summer of '75. And the winter of '77 was filled with 'Hotel California'. And in between them was a plethora of hits, to the point where the Eagles don't have to dance, no production numbers are necessary, the music is more than enough.

And we in SoCal go. Because when we hear 'The Boys Of Summer' we picture PCH, we visualize the sun setting on the beach, we know elation and despair. And we know how to keep on keepin' on.

And we don't give a shit what anybody else thinks. We've got our own culture. Where the Eagles are equivalent to Shakespeare, the bards of our life in the fast lane culture.

FAST TIMES

So, halfway through the 'Long Run' Solters taps me on the shoulder. Are we ready to come backstage? After nodding in agreement, he puts us on hold while he retrieves two more members of the posse, Cameron Crowe and Neal Preston. And after showing our credentials to the gestapo, we're in the inner sanctum. And when Irving performs the introductions, I'm stunned to find out that Cameron and Neal know who I am. But it gets better, because Cameron starts testifying about what I wrote about 'Stop Draggin' My Heart Around', telling me I nailed the essence of being a reluctant male and how he forwarded it to a fellow director and while I'm contemplating how to respond, who comes by, but Neil Diamond, who pronounces the Eagles' harmonies the best since the Everly Brothers before exiting, since he has to vocalize the following night and I'm standing there thinking it might as well be 1975.

Irving's cracking up that the newspapers are controlled by old radio guys and he and Cameron are reminiscing about the x-rated version of 'Fast Times' and we all feel like veterans of a war. But we're still here. A little thicker, with a little less hair, but with our sense of humor still intact.

LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN

It got the anticipatory applause, you know, when the riff is played, long before the chorus, people purchased the double album and listened to it. Still, 'Long Road Out Of Eden' is not 'Hotel California', it's had no cultural impact, not because it's deficient, but because we live in a different world, where music no longer dominates and neither does the left.

Everybody in this business is waiting for the seventies to return. Or at least the eighties, when MTV ruled. Bring back the days when 'N Sync sold two million albums in a week, when Boston's debut sold far in excess of ten million copies and there wasn't a soul under twenty who didn't know Boy George. Today's youngsters want the fruits, they want the fame and the attendant riches. But you listen to the Eagles perform hit after hit and you realize how hard the work was, how long and strange the trip. Journeying to L.A., backing up Ronstadt, playing in go-nowhere bands, living in the shadow of the Bowl, operating on your wits. Climbing the mountain instead of looking for a helicopter to deposit you on top, hell, there were no helicopters.

But there was a mountain. One we all knew and paid attention to. Now we're living in the Himalayas, gigantic peaks all around, to the point where even the new Eagles album is niche.

Welcome to the twenty first century. Where kids think stardom is fame and graybeards remember when dinosaurs walked the earth, when James Brown was called in to quell riots. That was the power of music. And it was about the music. The rest was just trappings. But now, all we've got are the trappings.

Maybe they could get 'Long Road Out Of Eden' in a movie. Ah, who am I kidding. 'Hurt Locker' wins the Oscar and still no one sees it. We see Snooki and Kim Kardashian. More people know who Rachel Uchitel is than have heard "Long Road Out Of Eden". So, it's frustrating to be an artist. Your canvas is large, but the gallery is small. You can go on tour to beaucoup bucks, playing for people who want to relive their memories, still...you remember when what you were doing made a difference.

And so does the audience.

LIFE'S BEEN GOOD

Sober Joe does turn out to be the linchpin, ripping off the notes that turn the music into rock and roll, and singing his own hits. But what made this number so great was the vintage footage on the big screen behind.

Everybody's got a camera today, everybody makes movies. Your life is documented from birth to death. But in the seventies making a movie was an enterprise that required money, time and skill, no Flip cameras were extant. So, watching the footage on the big screen was like looking into Tutankhamen's tomb. Relics! Rock stars on parade. Living the lives of stars, in an era when musicians were at the pinnacle of the food chain, when there was no more powerful position. In an era when YOU told the record company what to do.

DESPERADO

'Desperado, why don't you come to your senses'
You've been out ridin' fences for so long now'

We spent the sixties exploring the world, protesting inequities.

In the seventies we licked our wounds and looked inward.

And in the eighties, we sold out. Became our own worst enemy. It was fine to have children, but did we have to rape and pillage financially, did we have to drive SUVs, did we have to be so mine for me? But everybody else was doing it, so maybe we should too.

And it's only gotten worse. Why not license your music for that commercial? I've got to get bigger, I've got to eat. Everybody else is doing it.

But isn't it funny the music everybody wants to hear predates this era? Comes from a time when the music was enough, when it was pure and inviolate?

That's why the classic rock acts can still do boffo at the b.o. and so-called stars of yesterday, and I truly mean yesterday, are working day jobs. Because music is no longer soul food, but fast food, made for the here and now, to be denigrated and forgotten.

Things have changed.

But the boomers remember. They'd like a do-over, but that's not how life works. So you go to the Eagles show to remember when...you heard 'Take It Easy' for the first time, fell in love for the first time, were carefree for the last time.

HEARTACHE TONIGHT

'Some people like to stay out late
Some folks can't hold out that long
But nobody wants to go home now
There's too much goin' on'

Today there's truly too much going on, but so much of it is noise. It's like we're living in a Brillo pad, being scratched by shit we don't care about, looking for clear light. That's what music was, clear light.

And the music was enough. The Eagles can play for nearly three hours and no song is unknown, there's no bathroom break. Because that's the way it was. You paid your dues in pursuit of the pulpit, and then you could preach in churches and synagogues around the world, to this day.

You might believe in God. I believe in rock and roll.

And I'm not the only one.

We bought the records to keep us alive at night and then went to the gig to ogle the opposite sex, clap our hands and sing along at the top of our lungs.

Last night we took it to the limit one more time. In the only way we know how. We prayed at the Hollywood Bowl. Hoping a day will come when musicians lead us once again, doubting it will happen, but enjoying ourselves in the meantime.

SEVEN BRIDGES ROAD

'There are stars in the southern sky
And if ever you decide
You should go
There is a taste of time sweetened honey
Down the seven bridges road'

It rained all afternoon. By showtime, it was fifty degrees. What kind of crazy fucked up world do we live in where an outdoor concert is scheduled for April?

Southern California. Where it occasionally does rain, but optimism reigns, where water was brought from the mountains and images were manipulated and then projected around the world as reality.

But as powerful as movies can be, they're no match for music. You watch movies, music penetrates your soul.

The Eagles were both sunny and dark, purely human, three-dimensional troubadours commenting on the lifestyle we were living or in pursuit of. Maybe you've got to come to California to understand it, maybe you can close your eyes and visualize it. But last night, we lived it."

TimothyBFan
04-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Uhhhh Ok? Strange! I do LOVE this line "But as powerful as movies can be, they're no match for music. You watch movies, music penetrates your soul."

And apparently Timothy didn't show up or he doesn't count. :eyebrow:

carol7lynn
04-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Wow! Thanks Nancy. Amazing article. The guy nailed it.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

Freypower
04-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Uhhhh Ok? Strange! I do LOVE this line "But as powerful as movies can be, they're no match for music. You watch movies, music penetrates your soul."

And apparently Timothy didn't show up or he doesn't count. :eyebrow:

We're lucky that Joe and Glenn were mentioned. Normally it's all 'Don Henley and the Eagles'.

Lefsetz, to put it mildy, is an acquired taste. That is the first time I have ever heard the Eagles compared with Shakespeare. I love them, but they're not.

luvthelighthouse
04-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Let's have listen, since it was off the set list the next show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_9hf9E8Ns0

BTW, I just listened and didn't watch. Glenn didn't hit every note and I think his voice cracked early on... but to me, so what! It's live, that's part of the expierence. At least I know he's not lip syncing. The majority of the song was still great. I don't care if there are little blips here and there... it's more "organic" (to coin TBS) and "I" appreciate that.

PM... because I adore you... this ones for you!
http://www.youtube.com/user/DjAveen#p/u/5/Dhl1vcKVKL0

GlennLover
04-24-2010, 06:48 PM
He's siging the real high notes an octave lower. Still sounds great though!

Prettymaid
04-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Let's have listen, since it was off the set list the next show:

BTW, I just listened and didn't watch. Glenn didn't hit every note and I think his voice cracked early on... but to me, so what! It's live, that's part of the expierence. At least I know he's not lip syncing. The majority of the song was still great. I don't care if there are little blips here and there... it's more "organic" (to coin TBS) and "I" appreciate that.

PM... because I adore you... this ones for you!

First of all, when are these folks recording at concerts going to learn - if you're not close to the stage just keep the camera on the big screen! :-(

I agree with you LTL. Glenn's voice wavered alot but I don't mind it not being perfect live. And thank you for the Joe vid. Now if Joe would only say, "This ones for you Cathy" before he sings one live... :sigh: :fainted:

Glennsallnighter
04-26-2010, 09:06 AM

There's another word VERY close to that that I would use to describe Glenn :heart:'s voice........

GlennLover
04-26-2010, 11:38 AM
There's another word VERY close to that that I would use to describe Glenn :heart:'s voice........

Naughty, naughty, GA, but I agree!!! :hilarious: :thumbsup:

Freypower
04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
That video has been taken down. And not by Cass County (who have no ownership of it). Red Cloud have taken it down. :woah:

I suppose I will just have to imagine how those beautiful high notes in NMCD sound 'an octave lower'.

Prettymaid
04-26-2010, 08:35 PM
That video has been taken down. And not by Cass County (who have no ownership of it). Red Cloud have taken it down. :woah:

I suppose I will just have to imagine how those beautiful high notes in NMCD sound 'an octave lower'.

I actually didn't hear that. I meant to ask GL sprecifically where in the video he did that, but now I guess it's too late to check it out. :-(

Koala
05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Band Introductions, nice close ups!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUds3tYZyY&feature=related

Prettymaid
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Loved that! Thanks Koala!

Freypower
05-13-2010, 06:53 PM
They have a different trumpet player, I noticed. What happened to Bill?

Glenn got a reasonably generous response. Did you notice all the leg scratching again?!

tequila girl
05-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Nice intro, Thanks Koala!:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
05-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Glenn got a reasonably generous response. Did you notice all the leg scratching again?!

Maybe this time it was just an effort to keep his hands warm. Did you see how cold Timothy looked? And Joe actually mentions that it's cold. Must be hard to play an intrument when you're freezing.

tequila girl
05-14-2010, 09:43 AM
My favorite line: Detroit, MI, where mother is half a word.........:thumbsup:
Thanks for that P47 - I couldn't quite make out what he was saying

sodascouts
05-14-2010, 12:14 PM
They have a different trumpet player, I noticed. What happened to Bill?

I noticed there was a new guy, too. I'm not sure what happened to Bill.

luvthelighthouse
05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I saw this caption... does it mean he passed away?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregrule/4444855970/

sodascouts
05-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Wow. This is big news. Thanks for finding that, LTL. I'm gonna go ahead and repost it in the "Backing Band Members" thread.