PDA

View Full Version : Pebble Beach 2007

sodascouts
10-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Just got a little brochure in the mail from the folks at Pebble Beach. It tells me that would appreciate my patronage for 2007. Hmmm... we'll see... you never know!

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Ive always been a dreamer
10-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Hopefully within the next few weeks, we will find out if a certain wavy-haired, hot entertainer is scheduled to make an appearence. I guess those Pebble Beach folks don't realize you were not there for the golf, Nanc. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/eyes.gif

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

EasyFeeling
10-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Ok Nancy, if you go may I send you a CD and would you please so kind and ask him to sign that?http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/eek.gif

You know I'll never get the chance to do this. Just kidding.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif

sodascouts
10-31-2006, 10:13 PM
I wish I could, EF! It is heartbreaking that so many people will never have the chance to meet him. :(

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

timfan
11-01-2006, 12:13 AM
well never say never! :D who knows what will happen?

EasyFeeling
11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Sadly the chance is very slim that this would happen! I live too far away.

Freypower
11-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Michaela, I feel your pain! We're his 'international' fans that he knows nothing about! :lol:

EasyFeeling
11-02-2006, 05:42 AM
Thanks for your sympathy, Julie.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/wink.gifI'm sure I'm his biggest German fan and he'll will never know how much I love him! http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/traurig/a025.gif

glenneaglesfan
11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
I share your pain too. I had a faint hope of going next year, but it's not to be. :(

~~~

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/signature1.jpg

This way to happiness...

EasyFeeling
11-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Yes, I had this hope too. Too bad.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/frown.gif

01-09-2007, 12:14 AM
OMG - After several excruciating weeks of checking every day, Glenn has FINALLY been confirmed for Pebble Beach. I am so there - on the phone with Soda and PLS right now making travel plans. WOOT!!!!!

timfan
01-09-2007, 12:15 AM
WOOO HOOO! I am so happy for you guys! Give Glenn a wink for me! :D

Freypower
01-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Al - :smitten: RIGHT!!!!!!!! :rockon:

sodascouts
01-09-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm so friggin' excited! WOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EasyFeeling
01-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Oh, that's great news. :D Don't forget to make a t-shirt with the Smokin' Hot picture on it before you go there. :twisted:

sodascouts
01-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Oh, that's great news. :D Don't forget to make a t-shirt with the Smokin' Hot picture on it before you go there. :twisted:

lol!! I would get thrown out for distracting the female audience members away from the game. Their gasping and fainting would also distract the golf players.

EasyFeeling
01-09-2007, 09:11 AM
You're probably right. :wink: But it could be the easiest way to get Glenn's attention. :wink:

What do you plan to meet him to ask for an autograph or something like that?

sodascouts
01-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I already have an autograph, so I plan to ask for a photo with him. I am going on a diet so hopefully I will not look too fat in the photo if it is possible.

01-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Since this will be my first trip to Pebble Beach, and my first real chance to ever meet him, I haven't decided what I'm going to ask him for yet! :wink: :blush: :twisted:

GEF - can I place a new order for a tee shirt and pillow case with a new picture on it? :D

And OBTW - I am so friggin' excited, I can't stand it.

EasyFeeling
01-09-2007, 09:58 AM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif I have seen you on a photo but I don't remember you are fat! :wink:

Any other plans? Wearing a low-cut shirt perhaps? :twisted:

sodascouts
01-09-2007, 10:03 AM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif I have seen you on a photo but I don't remember you are fat! :wink:
Thanks, but that photo is a year old, I have gained about ten pounds since then!

Any other plans? Wearing a low-cut shirt perhaps? :twisted:
lol - not! I'm not going to try for THAT kind of attention! Sadly, I come across as nothing more than a geeky (and rather plain-looking) fan, but Glenn is kind and has pity on me. ;)

EasyFeeling
01-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh, I'm sure he would appreciate it. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif Soda, he's a man! :wink:

Are you 100% sure that you can meet him there?

sodascouts
01-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Are you 100% sure that you can meet him there?

If it's the same as last year, we can. Of course, there is the possibility that he will see us and make sure to stay far away from the side where we are. "Oh, no, it is those girls again. I was nice to them last time, but now I wish they would leave me alone! I gave them an autograph, what more do they want from me?!" Of course we have dreamer with us, so he can come over for her!

01-09-2007, 10:22 AM
EF - Soda and Perfect Little Sister went to Pebble Beach last year and met Glenn. You can read all about their trip in detail if you search back here in the Glenn Frey thread.

I was going to go last year, but I couldn't get away from my job. I made up my mind that nothing was going to stop me this year. The only problem is I was getting scared to death that he wasn't going this year because he waited so late to confirm it. We had almost given up hope, but they updated the list on the Pebble Beach site last night, and the rest is history!

BTW Soda - I'm trying to plan my wardrobe for the trip - are shirts required? :D

EasyFeeling
01-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Yes, I remember I've read it, Dreamer. I keep my fingers crossed that he will come over to you. :wink:
And pleeeeeeeease, don't forget to take pictures. I want to see pictures from you both and Glenn!
BTW, I don't remember I've ever seen a picture from you, Dreamer. :wink:

Brooke
01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
That is so cool! Do you know the dates of this, anyone?

01-09-2007, 10:45 AM
No pictures of me on the Internet, EF. Maybe, if I get lucky enough to get a picture with Glenn, I'll make an exception.

EasyFeeling
01-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Ok. :wink:

01-09-2007, 12:47 PM
That is so cool! Do you know the dates of this, anyone?

Brooke - we are flying to CA (probably Oakland) on Tuesday, Feb. 6 and will fly home on Sunday, Feb. 11. If anyone else wants to go, send me or Soda a PM - even if you can't go for the whole time, you could come out for a few days. The airfares look to be pretty decent right now. We will have a blast!

glenneaglesfan
01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Wow, this is sooo exciting!!! I WISH I could be there, but it's not to be. If you do get to meet him, could you tell him he has fans all over the world, and if he's in a signing mood, maybe I could send something for him to sign for me?

EasyFeeling
01-09-2007, 03:35 PM
When I had the money I would sure come. But the flights to the US are too expensive from Germany to stay only for a few days. :(
Good idea, GEF. :)

Brooke
01-09-2007, 04:47 PM
:mrgreen:

I was just dreaming! My husband would think I'd completely lost my mind if I even mentioned it! :roll: :(

But it was a nice thought there for a minute or two!

01-09-2007, 05:59 PM
:mrgreen:

I was just dreaming! My husband would think I'd completely lost my mind if I even mentioned it! :roll: :(

But it was a nice thought there for a minute or two!

Well, just show him my AV, and then he'll understand why you want to go!

Nah - on second thought, if he sees my AV, he may not even want you going to a concert. :D :twisted:

tengo ritmo
01-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Great news!!!!!

Hmm, so I forget how this works now: will you be able to see him every day?
(I have no clue about golf)
I doubt I could get there, even if I live relatively close, but there's no harm in dreaming a bit. :wink: (mapquest says it takes two hours to drive there... hmm)

Last year's account was incredible, I hope this year's will be similar. :D

sodascouts
01-10-2007, 02:28 AM
Great news!!!!!

Hmm, so I forget how this works now: will you be able to see him every day?
(I have no clue about golf)
I doubt I could get there, even if I live relatively close, but there's no harm in dreaming a bit. :wink: (mapquest says it takes two hours to drive there... hmm)

Last year's account was incredible, I hope this year's will be similar. :D

We'll be able to see him every day, although on Saturday it'll be from a distance mostly. As for what else happens, I'm keeping my expectations low. That way I won't be disappointed. ;)

EasyFeeling
01-10-2007, 05:35 AM
How close do you get to see him? Is it so close that you could touch him?

sodascouts
01-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Not in the way you want to touch him, EF. ;) There's a little rope barrier that's about waist-high, occasionally lower, along the green. All the spectators stand behind the rope. The players don't come near it unless they make bad shots that land near it, or want to say hello to their fans. He came over to it and shook our hands at the end of the second day. When he wanted to talk to some people in front of us, he actually hopped over the barrier and touched the arm of the guy with the yearbook or something like that, talking with them as they walked along the green to the next hole. Those were the people that PLS and I dubbed "The Fred Pike people" since they bought the yearbook from him off of Ebay and dropped his name.

EasyFeeling
01-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh, I would be happy enough to shake his hand. 8) Well, let's hope he makes at least one bad shot. :twisted:
I'm so envious of you that you get the chance to see him soon. But I'm really happy for you!

01-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Well if anyone wants to send me a request to touch Glenn for you, I'll try to work on a plan! :wink: :D :twisted:

Maleah
01-10-2007, 11:51 PM
only if he gives you a hug and specificly states that this is for Maleah............then I'll put in a request ;) Oh yeah, and you must capture him on camera saying it's for me. :D That's my only request dreamer :D

sodascouts
01-15-2007, 02:01 AM
I was stressing about what to wear. Then I remembered I had this in my closet!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/allnightershirt.jpg

How about it? ;)

EasyFeeling
01-15-2007, 04:40 AM
:shock: This is cool!!! Good idea, Soda! 8)
What do you think about to put the Smokin' Hot on the backside? That would be a surprise for him when you turn around. :wink:

Brooke
01-15-2007, 02:18 PM
I dare you to wear that, Soda! And I want a picture of Glenn's face when he sees it! :laugh:

sodascouts
01-15-2007, 02:22 PM
lol! It might be worth it just for that!

I think that would be a funny name for Glenn fan club. "The Allnighters." ;)

EasyFeeling
01-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Sounds great. :D

Freypower
01-15-2007, 07:49 PM
:shock: This is cool!!! Good idea, Soda! 8)
What do you think about to put the Smokin' Hot on the backside? That would be a surprise for him when you turn around. :wink:

I presume you're joking. I don't think that photo would be appropriate attire on a golf course.

sodascouts
01-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Don't worry, I was kidding. I wouldn't wear that. It was a funny thought, though!

01-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Actually, Glenn strikes me as someone who has a great sense of humor - somehow I think he would find it very funny to see someone wearing this shirt. I'd bet good money that it would get his attention, and start up a little conversation. After all - he wrote and recorded an entire album with the name, so I doubt that he is embarrassed or ashamed of it. Even if you're too chicken to wear it Soda, we could take it and show it to him. I think he'd be flattered. :idea:

Freypower
01-15-2007, 11:32 PM
I think the 'I'm an Allnighter' shirt is fine (after all I sat in front of him wearing a 'freyfan' shirt) but I wouldn't have the Smokin' Hot photo put on a shirt to wear on a golf course, that's all.

sodascouts
01-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Like I said, EasyFeeling and I were just kidding, so no need to worry. :)

EasyFeeling
01-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Are you sure, Soda? :wink:
Yes FP, we were just kidding. But it would be interesting to see his reaction. When I would get the chance to go to Pebble Beach I would do a lot to make sure I get his attention. But I wouldn't wear a shirt with naked Glenn on it. :wink:

sodascouts
01-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't know. I was kidding, but I guess I could wear it... but it's not very flattering! Maybe I'll take dreamer's suggestion and show it to him, although that might be weird. "Hey, Glenn, check this out!" "Er - that's nice." And I put it back. Worth lugging it around for that?

EasyFeeling
01-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Hmmm... I think it depends on his mood in that moment. When he did a bad shot and you show him this pic I would guess you won't get your photo with him. :wink:

I for one had nothing to lose since I never get the chance to see him again so I would probably do it. I guess you want to see him again next year. :wink:

sodascouts
01-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Hmmm... I think it depends on his mood in that moment. When he did a bad shot and you show him this pic I would guess you won't get your photo with him. :wink:

I for one had nothing to lose since I never get the chance to see him again so I would probably do it. I guess you want to see him again next year. :wink:

Not the photo - the shirt.

EasyFeeling
01-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Oh, you meant the shirt. :blush: Ok, then I have to say you should definitely wear it! It's harmless. When you don't want to make it visible all the time you could probably wear it under a sports jacket.

Brooke
01-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Just my 2 cents!

I probably wouldn't wear it, but would take it and show it to him if you got the chance. I bet he'd get a kick out of it and he might even sign it if you asked. 8)

sodascouts
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
That sounds like a plan - although I imagine cloth is hard to sign.

Brooke
01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
I have a hoodie that Don signed for me, so it can be done!

I'll have to take a pic of it and post it!

sodascouts
01-16-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a hoodie that Don signed for me, so it can be done!

I'll have to take a pic of it and post it!

ooh - yes, do that! I'd love to see it!

01-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Just my 2 cents!

I probably wouldn't wear it, but would take it and show it to him if you got the chance. I bet he'd get a kick out of it and he might even sign it if you asked. 8)

That's exactly what I think Brooke. I really think he'd get a good laugh over it. And I'd love to see your signed hoodie, too.

sodascouts
02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
I was wondering if anyone who gets the Golf Channel would like to record this for us? Please? :pray:

timfan
02-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I know I would appreciate it being recorded. My televison provider this past year stopped carrying the golf channel :x !!

glenneaglesfan
02-02-2007, 01:07 PM
If it's on over here I'll record it, but the dvd recorder is out of action, so there would be a delay, and the same coding problem as on the HC dvd.

freyfanatic
02-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh come on Soda you have to wear that shirt it's awesome, and just think what Glenn will think when he notices it on ya!! :thumbsup: 8) 8)

sodascouts
02-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Here are the times for anyone interested in recording it:

* Thursday 2/8/07
12:00-3:00 p.m. (Live)
5:30 - 8:30 p.m. (Replay)
The Golf Channel
* Friday 2/9/07
5:30 - 8:30 p.m. (Replay)
The Golf Channel
* Saturday 2/10/07
CBS
* Sunday 2/11/07 (Live)
12:00-3:30 p.m.
CBS

Brooke
02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the times! That will help immensley.

Have fun girls and give Glenn my love if you happen to get close! :wink:

timfan
02-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Anyone that could record it, I would really appreciate it! :) As my TV network doesn't carry the golf channel anymore! :x

glenneaglesfan
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Good luck to you all. This time last year it was touch and go as to whether he'd even be there. I wish him many birdies and Eagles! (That way he'll be there longer). I also wish him time to spend with his fans at the edge of the green!!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/glenngolf2.jpg

sodascouts
02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
So much for my plans to bring all sorts of layers of clothing in a bag with me.

Bags at Pebble Beach have been limited to 8x8x8 inches!! (http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/16620769.htm)

Z
02-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Have a great time, Ladies, and a safe trip. 8)

freyfanatic
02-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Have fun and let Glenn know how much we love him :D

02-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Bags at Pebble Beach have been limited to 8x8x8 inches!! (http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/16620769.htm)

Well, it will make it easier for whoever will be holding my purse! :twisted:

In about 10 hours I'll be leaving for the airport. WOW - I can't believe this!

BTW Brooke - thanks for taping this. I just thought I'd mention that the times that Soda posted are Pacific time zone.

EasyFeeling
02-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Have a great time Dreamer, Soda and PLS!!! Hopefully you will get the chance to talk to him a little bit and to take a picture.
And don't forget to say hello from a poor German fan who will never get the chance to meet him. :( :wink:
I'm really looking forward to read about your experiences. :D

Witchy Mummy
02-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Have fun, girls! I know you will 8) Looking forward to hearing all the details. Don't make us too jealous :wink:

sodascouts
02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I leave in one hour! ack!!! My poor cat is already getting upset. Somehow he knows and is hissing and batting at my shoes when I try to put them on.

We will definitely report back as soon as we can!

EasyFeeling
02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Poor cat... who will look after your cat, Soda? A neighbor?

DonFan
02-06-2007, 01:26 PM
My kitten Muffin does the same thing whenever I leave town, soda, even if it is just for one night. She sees those suitcases and she starts meowing.

Have a fabulous time--I can't wait to hear all about it!

sodascouts
02-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Poor cat... who will look after your cat, Soda? A neighbor?

My friend Jo is looking after him. She'll come in daily, play with him a bit and feed him. I'm comforting him but - time to go!

02-06-2007, 02:06 PM
I'll be leaving for the airport in less than an hour. Just wanted to post something short to let you all know that I wish each and every one of you could be there with us. We will do our best to keep you all posted, but it will probably be Thursday night before we will get around to posting anything. We will be very busy, you know. :wink: Everyone cross your fingers and wish us luck for a lot of Glenn tact.

glenneaglesfan
02-06-2007, 02:26 PM
It's all very exciting!

For us people back home, here's a link to last year's interview. This is new technology for me, uploading a video to photobucket. It's not very elegant, but it seems to work. Click on the screen to link.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/th_pebblebeach2006.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/?action=view&current=pebblebeach2006.flv)

I love his hair...

EasyFeeling
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
OMG... he's so cute. :D Love his laughter. Thanks for posting that, GEF. Makes me even more jealous of our three girls. :wink:

glenneaglesfan
02-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I know. Watching this makes me want to meet him so much - just to tell him what a nice guy he is, and so on...

Brooke
02-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I will try very hard to get this on tape.

I also have a dvd player/recorder but have never been able to figure out how to record with it. :roll: I'll try it too, just in case the vcr doesn't come out. But it should. :)

Freypower
02-06-2007, 06:06 PM
I will be watching and if he's interviewed I will be recording it onto DVD, I hope.

Have fun ladies. 8)

timfan
02-06-2007, 06:35 PM
It's such a cute interview! Thanks GEF for posting it!

Also thanks to everyone who is recording the Golf for those of us who can't get the Golf channel!

Maleah
02-06-2007, 08:09 PM
oh my gosh! I'm so excited for you ladies!! Bummed for the rest of us that we can't go, ;) but THRILLED for you guys!!! This is so cool!

Brooke
02-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh geez, I have just checked my satellite subscription and I do NOT get the Golf Channel! :( So, if anyone does, please help us out!

I WILL be recording what is on CBS if Glenn is in the finals though. :?

timfan
02-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Oh geez, I have just checked my satellite subscription and I do NOT get the Golf Channel! :( So, if anyone does, please help us out!
:?

I know just what you mean Brooke!

Last year my cable company carried the golf channel; then about 6 months ago they discontinued it :( I am NOT impressed! :evil:

Freypower
02-07-2007, 12:59 AM
I don't get the Golf Channel, but Fox Sports are showing it. I'll do my best, folks. :D

glenneaglesfan
02-07-2007, 04:22 PM
It's being shown on Setanta Golf channel here. I'll try to keep the recordings on the Skybox until our dvd recorder comes back, but with the Six nations rugby going on, I'll have to watch husband's delete finger. This time last year, he deleted all my Pebble beach recordings and a high quality video of Hotel California from 1977....

timfan
02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I'll have to watch husband's delete finger. This time last year, he deleted all my Pebble beach recordings and a high quality video of Hotel California from 1977....

bad hubby :P :nope:

glenneaglesfan
02-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Let me tell you, husband had a very bad day!

timfan
02-08-2007, 06:12 PM
I found this mention of Glenn from Pebble Beach...

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=15100&select=21700

Freypower
02-08-2007, 09:24 PM
There was precisely NOTHING on Fox Sports' coverage, which they took from the Golf Channel. :roll: :?

sodascouts
02-09-2007, 02:05 AM
HOLY CRAP!!! HOLY CRAP!!!! HOLY FRICKIN’ CRAP!!!!!

We’ll get back to that later. We’ll do this in chronological order. ;)

For now, just the highlights… and we have some pretty HIGH lights, folks.

The first thing we should note is that my and PLS’ fears that Glenn would be freaked, annoyed, or downright scared to see us again were quickly put to rest. As PLS, dreamer, and I approached, he actually waved and smiled before teeing off (I smiled sheepishly, somewhat embarrassed, but PLS and dreamer smiled and waved back). As soon as he’d teed off, he came down and talked to us. We’ll go into what he said later.

As the day progressed, he often smiled and looked our way, once walked with us down the fairway chit-chatting, gave us all picks, occasionally would direct comments our way, and signed dreamer’s Strange Weather CD.

Then, on the 18th hole, it happened. He came over to talk to us one last time. We chatted about this and that (I asked him about golf, PLS talked to him about surgeries and kids – more later). He hadn’t been playing his best (although he held his own and made a comeback after starting slowly). The day was cloudy. The game of his partner, Stadler, was kind of sucking all day, hate to say it. He talked about how tomorrow would be better… and then, by way of parting…

HE KISSED ALL THREE OF US ON OUR CHEEKS.

Can you say HOLY CRAP! HOLY FREAKIN’ CRAP!

Now, before anyone gets the wrong idea, he was just being sweet. In fact immediately afterwards, he talked about how happy he was in life and mentioned he had a great wife.

So… that’s all for now folks. More details later!

freyfanatic
02-09-2007, 02:46 AM
OMG, HOLY CRAP!!!!!!
:jawdrop: Thats awesome, so far so good... your keeping your kool Soda?? I imagine its hard to do after that...

tengo ritmo
02-09-2007, 03:50 AM
AWWWWWW!! He is such a great guy!!

I can't even imagine how you three must be feeling. :wink: And isn't this only the first day?!?

EasyFeeling
02-09-2007, 04:27 AM
OMG :shock: :shock: :shock:

I can't believe it!!! :shock: I'm totally speechless... you're sooooooooo lucky. God, he kissed you on your cheeks. This is freakin' cool!!!

I know you and PLS already met him. But how about Dreamer? How is she doing? Dreeeeeeeeeeamer, tell us about your feelings, pleeeeeease!

I'm soooooooo happy for you. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/froehlich/a013.gif

glenneaglesfan
02-09-2007, 04:44 AM
OMG :shock: :shock: :shock: That is just FANTASTIC!!! What a man.....

timfan
02-09-2007, 07:24 AM
HOLY COW!!! :shock: :D That is just... i don't have the words to describe it!

I'm so happy for you ladies :D. He is such a sweet man and a great guy.. talk about being good to your fans!! and to top it off he remembered you and PLS from last year!!

To be kissed on the cheek by Glenn Frey now THAT is something to remember! :D 8) :D 8) :D

EasyFeeling
02-09-2007, 08:31 AM
So true, TF! 8)
I had to come back to read it again. This is the coolest I've ever read on this board. 8)

DonFan
02-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Soda, I just KNEW Glenn would remember you from last year! And to kiss all three of you on the cheek----WOW. :shock: :shock:
Are you all still on cloud nine this morning? Have your feet touched the ground yet? :wink:
And just think, you have two more days of this! :D

sodascouts
02-09-2007, 10:09 AM
We're off today, too. I doubt we'll get another kiss, but hey, we can't complain. ;) Dreamer is still conscious and able to walk and talk, so don't worry, lol. And yes, being the hard core fan that I am, my heart was pounding top speed. I laid awake for an hour last night just reliving it. I know that sounds pathetic but it's true! This trip was worth every penny... and then some!

Brooke
02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :partytime: :grouphug: :yay:

That is just way too cool! And to think there's more to come!

What a man, what a man, what a man! :D

Maleah
02-09-2007, 11:17 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is SOOOOO cool guys!!!! What a sweetheart! :D

EasyFeeling
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I think this is hardly to beat. But who knows Soda, how about your Allnighter shirt? :wink:

No, that sounds not pathetic. I know I wouldn't have get any sleep if he had kissed me.
I'm glad to hear Dreamer is still alive. :wink:
I'm looking forward to more details.

timfan
02-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Soda it doesn't sound pathetic it sounds wonderful!! I actually woke up a few time in night as well thinking about your excellent adventure :D Have a fantabulous Day 2!

glenneaglesfan
02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
It's just so cool, I'm beside myself with happiness for you girls! :D I can't wait to hear the full details.

As for the TV coverage - our subscription doesn't cover Setanta. I caught the Golf central programme on the UK Golf channel, and the only celebrity to appear was the somewhat trying Bill Murray.

I think there may have been the most fleeting glimpse of Glenn on a video clip here:
http://www.pgatour.com/video/player/player.html?section=
See page 2, clip 'Celebrity preview'. Is that him sitting next to Clay Walker on a wall?

timfan
02-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Is that him sitting next to Clay Walker on a wall?

It sure looks like Glenn to me and that laugh sounds awfully familiar too :D :P

timfan
02-09-2007, 02:27 PM
for those who can't watch the golf channel ( like me :blush: ) I found a link that gives live updates of how the golf game is going.. you just have to find Glenn on the list.

http://www.pgatour.com/leaderboards/2007/r005/alt2.html

EasyFeeling
02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the links, GEF and TF. Sadly Glenn appeared much too short.
TF, there is a live stream on the site you posted. Does that mean we can watch the golf there every day and maybe get to see Glenn? :?

Freypower
02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
You ladies ROCK. That is just wonderful. Congratulations.

I just saw Glenn hitting a couple of shots & being interviewed. He said that they had mixed three songs last week 'but obviously I'm not working on it this week'. He said the song that best described golf was Hole In The World, and that golf is acoustic. Rich Lerner said 'you still rock in your 50s & 60s' & he said 'and beyond'. He mouthed 'thank you' when he hit a shot, I saw the Tongue, and he puffed his cheeks out. As I'm sure our ladies can tell us, he looked great. This was just after Clay Walker had been filmed so I knew he would finally be shown.

Brooke
02-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Cool! Thanks for the update, Fp! :D

glenneaglesfan
02-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks for that, FP, I hope you've had better luck recording it than me. I'll see if it's on the summary tomorrow. Sounds like he was cool. And tongue...<sigh>

Freypower
02-09-2007, 06:34 PM
When I tried to record it the DVD was 'unformatted' so I didn't get it. It was only about five minutes in total.

sodascouts
02-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Well, today was quite a contrast from yesterday - but it was still good. Like last time, we'll give a few highlights and expand on them later.

Today was rainy and wet, but not as bad as we'd feared when driving up there (it was storming and we even got slowed down by a wreck). Glenn's group's playing "sucked" as he put it, and so the golfers were a grim bunch. While Glenn seemed too dispirited to interact much, he still managed a few smiles and jokes. We got to talk to him a couple times (see the GFO homepage (http://www.glennfreyonline.com) for what PLS got out of him). He touched dreamer's arm at one point and told her to watch her step, and I got a photo with him (one of my main goals). So, while this day was certainly not as exciting as yesterday, that was pretty much a given. We still enjoyed ourselves, rain or shine!

freyfanatic
02-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Awesome girls!! Thanks for keeping us updated :D

glenneaglesfan
02-10-2007, 09:29 AM
You got a photo, Nancy? That is awesome!!! 8) I thought there was a no cameras rule. And Dreamer won't be able to wash that arm now!

Sounds like Glenn's going to miss the cut again this year. :(

Very interesting news on GFO. I'm waiting to hear the full story now.

FP, sorry about your dvd failing, that's the sort of thing that's happening to me all the time.

sodascouts
02-10-2007, 10:12 AM
No cameras allowed - but that doesn't stop a smuggler. ;)

timfan
02-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I got a photo with him (one of my main goals). So, while this day was certainly not as exciting as yesterday, that was pretty much a given. We still enjoyed ourselves, rain or shine!

Rain or not you got the photo with him! Also Glenn is showing concern for and interacting with all of you; that is pretty neat in my books :D

Brooke
02-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Another very cool day for you gals! You all must be in 7th heaven! :D

So, will Glenn be playing today?

timfan
02-10-2007, 10:57 AM
will Glenn be playing today?

Yes Glenn will be playing today.. the cut is at the end of today's round

DonFan
02-10-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm SO glad you got your picture with him, soda! :D

Maleah
02-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow! Cant wait to see the pic now! ;)

EasyFeeling
02-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Me too, me too!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Ok, he didn't kiss you again but I'm sure it was a fantastic day for you all. And you got your photo, wow! :D

So, when will he be playing today, TF? Do you know that?

FP, thanks for the updates. :)

Brooke
02-10-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm soooooo glad that "I Love to Watch" may be on the new album! Very good news indeed! :D

Brooke
02-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Yay! I just reviewed my tape of today's Pebble coverage and there is quite a few shots of Glenn!

Today he wore black pants, navy windbreaker, navy hat and white shoes. He was pretty easy to pick out once I knew what he had on. And let me say he did look most appealing! He also had a gold chain on and a band-aid on his left ring finger.

The announcer mentioned that he was from the "legendary band the Eagles" and that he won the 2002 Jack Lemmon award which is given to the amatuer that helped his team the most (he had 31 shots). I don't "know" golf so bear with me! There are lots of great "behind" shots! Pun intended! An announcer actually interviewed him with Clay Walker. They both have been in the studio lately and Clay said that his play was lacking a little because of that and Glenn chuckled and said "that was my excuse"! The announcer also had mentioned that Glenn had been in the studio for the last 20 months putting together another album for the Eagles and that it was "Eagly awaited"! :lol: When Glenn was asked how that was affecting his golf game glenn said "the albums sounding really good!" and laughed. (meaning that his game wasn't going well) Then he looked at the camera and said "Hello to everybody in Ireland at Old Head." (I think that's what he said-never heard of it myself!)

Then later Glenn shot a "birdie" on the 17th & with the windy conditions the announcer commented that that was "life in the fastlane"!
:lol:

Hopefully Soda can take my tape and get the clips from it. Again, he looked marvelous, as usual! :D

timfan
02-10-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm so glad you ladies are able to tape this... today was the only day I was able to watch and it seemed every time Glenn came on my Dad started chattering or called me for something.... FATHERS!!! :roll: but I guess since it was Dad that started my Eagle-ism I can't be too upset :D hehehe

Freypower
02-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Thank you Brooke. I didn't watch it today because I didn't think he'd be interviewed again. But I got 50 screen shots out of the seven minute DVD I have! See Frey Fever.

sodascouts
02-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Well, this day certainly exceeded our expecations, to say the least! Last year, Saturday at Pebble Beach consisted of thronging masses of people, with Glenn only able to give us a shout out a couple times.

This time, the weather started out horribly, making the crowds much thinner. Glenn spotted us and acted surprised to see us - as if! - almost as soon as we walked up. We'll give more details on what transpired later, but what really made the day unique and fun was what started on the 8th hole. Glenn sent his caddy over to us with a $20 bill, and he asked us to buy Glenn a screwdriver (vodka and orange juice)! Of course we were THRILLED to do so, but paid for it ourselves, just so that we could say, "We bought a drink for Glenn Frey." ;) Our quest to find this drink was an adventure in itself, but more about that later.

Once we finally brought back the drink to Glenn, he asked us to hold it for him - and then, he kept coming back to take sips from it in between tees and talk to us, just like we were hangin' out! It was so cool! As a reward for our efforts, he asked for our addresses so that he could send us "swag," as he put it.

So, that's the highlights! We'll get working on the longer write-ups tonight, although since dreamer and I are travelling tomorrow, we might not be able to post them right away.

I am reading this to dreamer, and she says my post does not sufficiently communicate the kind of....

HOLY CRAP THIS IS SO FRICKIN' COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....attitude that we had. I hope that gives you a better idea. ;)

timfan
02-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I am laughing so hard, half shocked and soo pleased for you all!!

you got buy Glenn a drink!! WOW!! and he now has your addresses..even better! you ladies have really hit it big; my friends! :D I couldn't be happier for you!

freyfanatic
02-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Wow thats freakin awesome girls... a drink and asks for your address that is... leaves me speechless and excited for you girls!!! YAY!!!

DonFan
02-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Wow, this just keeps getting better and better! He has your addresses--he knows you PERSONALLY now! Wonder what kind of "swag" he's planning on sending you? This is fantastic!

Maleah
02-11-2007, 01:29 AM
Oh my gosh I'm so jealous!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is so freakin' cool!!!!

EasyFeeling
02-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I totally agree, Maleah!!! :D There is nothing more to say but you must be the luckiest girls on earth. :D :D :D

Z
02-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Ladies, your trip to Pebble sounds so exciting! The best part of things like this is to experience them with close friends. These memories are the basis of strong friendships. I’m sure Glenn will
remember you when he sees you together during the upcoming tour. :D

Molly
02-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Wow -very happy for you ladies. I'm sure it's true that the 3 of you will be spotted during the upcoming tour. Guess the rest of us peons will have to try to stand close to you in hopes of basking in some of the glow of all that attention. :wink: :D

glenneaglesfan
02-11-2007, 10:18 AM
GLENN HAS YOUR ADDRESSES?!!! :shock: :D Wow, that is sooo cool for you three, and buying him a drink. (Screwdriver, eh? They have a brand over here called Glen's vodka! :wink: )

I'm thinking I may risk divorce and bankcruptcy to get there next year!!

Brooke, I'm pleased that your tape came out. I've been frustrated by the non-coverage over here so hope to see your and FP's clips one day.

Edited to add - I've just done a search, and Old Head is a golf course in Kinsale, southern Ireland. It looks a bit like Pebble Beach, right on the coast. He must have played there, maybe last year.

Brooke
02-11-2007, 12:43 PM
:jawdrop: :blueblob: That is so awesome ladies! I'm in total shock! What a fantastic time you have had! Wonderful memories! Maybe you all will be visable in the tape, too, but they didn't show much of the crowd.

GEF, thanks for researching that. Glenn must know it well to send a shout out!

Now, anyone know if he made the cut to play today?

sodascouts
02-11-2007, 12:51 PM
We are about to leave for the airport, but it sure is going to be hard to go back to "normal life." Our minds have truly been blown. We've been working on reviews and hopefully will have something in the next couple days.

Edited to add: No, he didn't make the cut. :( But he had some great shots that last day. He was a happy man anyway. :)

EasyFeeling
02-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I guess you will need some time to 'recover' from your great experiences. :wink: Hopefully it takes not so long until we get to hear all the details. :)

timfan
02-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Soda, PLS and Dreamer...

You have had a weekend beyond any of our dreams.

It may be over but the memories of this weekend are something you will always have :) .

Thank you for sharing your FREY-tastic weekend with all of us! :D

Perfect Little Sister
02-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Yay! I just reviewed my tape of today's Pebble coverage and there is quite a few shots of Glenn!

Today he wore black pants, navy windbreaker, navy hat and white shoes. He was pretty easy to pick out once I knew what he had on. And let me say he did look most appealing! He also had a gold chain on and a band-aid on his left ring finger. [/i]

It's not a band-aid per se on his finger. He wraps it with sports tape when he plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he has repetetive use damage in that joint from playing guitar for so many years. Whether it's there to strengthen the grip or prevent slippage, I don't know. I didn't ask.

02-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Hi everyone - I just got home from the airport, it's late, and I'm very tired, but I am still on Cloud Nine. I don't even know how to put into words the thrill of these past few days. Like Soda said, we will try to get you all more details ASAP, but for now, I'd better try to go to bed, and see if I can sleep. I have to return back to real life tomorrow. :wink:

Freypower
02-12-2007, 02:37 AM
I'm a bit late in adding my congratulations. And he has your addresses and is sending you 'swag' (he's an Aussie at heart :wink: ). :shock: :!: That is the most stunning and awesome thing. I'm so happy for the three of you I'm just shaking my head in disbelief. And you bought him a DRINK!!!! I need to watch the 'Americans' episode of Fawlty Towers with the misunderstanding over the screwdriver. :twisted:

To quote another hero of mine, I can understand that this was 'beyond your wildest dreams'.

sodascouts
02-12-2007, 03:16 AM
Blast it! Just discovered my photo with Glenn is so blurry that there's no point in posting it. The girl taking the photo for me had not used a digital camera before and my explanation was a bit rushed, so I can't blame her for not making sure it was focused correctly before taking the picture. It sure is disappointing, though. :(

glenneaglesfan
02-12-2007, 04:35 AM
Oh, what a shame about the photo, Soda, but I think after everything else that has happened you won't be too disappointed!

I can't wait to hear the full details from you all. It's been so amazing that I am celebrating by wearing my PTO t-shirt to work today (under a blouse). Pathetic, isn't it!

Witchy Mummy
02-12-2007, 05:45 AM
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

I've missed so much. Let me just say how fantastic and wonderful this all is. I am overjoyed for you lucky girls! :D I can't wait for the full details. I'm sorry your photo didn't come out properly :( Oh and Kate, if you fancy having someone to sit next to on the plane next year, let me know!

DonFan
02-12-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry your pic didn't turn out too! Oh, well, that was about the only thing that didn't turn out for you during your fantastic weekend. Have you come back to earth yet? :wink:

sodascouts
02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm about to leave to tutor and believe me, I didn't want to even get out of bed this morning! Oh well, back to reality.

And I certainly can't complain, photo or no photo!

02-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Have you come back to earth yet? :wink:

Speaking for myself, the answer is NO!

I thought I'd give everyone a little something to tide you over until we can get our detail reports posted.

Hope you all don't think this is too big, but isn't it beautiful ....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/GF_autograph.jpg

timfan
02-12-2007, 09:33 PM
WOW :shock: Dreamer that is fantastic! :D

Glenn sure is a great guy!! 8) :D

Freypower
02-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Awwwww! :heart: :yay: :applause: :cheers:

Perfect Little Sister
02-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Ahh, Dreamer...the plane landed, but you haven't. :D How propitious that you had him sign that song, eh? :P

freyfanatic
02-12-2007, 09:46 PM
That's awesome :partytime:

Brooke
02-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry about your pic, Soda! But what a great time you all had!

Love your autograph, too, dreamer! Thanks for sharing! :blueblob: :yay:

glenneaglesfan
02-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Kay, I wonder if you'll ever come back to earth! That autograph is so cool - I love that song and that photo. :rockon: :D

EasyFeeling
02-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Speaking for myself, the answer is NO!

I thought I'd give everyone a little something to tide you over until we can get our detail reports posted.

Hope you all don't think this is too big, but isn't it beautiful ....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/GF_autograph.jpg

:shock: This IS beautiful. :D You must be so proud of that autograph. :)

Witchy Mummy
02-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks for sharing the autograph with us, dreamer! It's gorgeous :D

sodascouts
02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
PLS, Dreamer's and soda's Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure 2007, Day One: The WHOLE shebang

The build-up

I had debated a long time about whether or not to return to Pebble Beach this year. I had gotten my autograph, after all, and Glenn had been really sweet to me, but what would he think when he saw us coming again this year? Would he be glad to see us, annoyed to see us, or terrified to see us? Finally, after hemming and hawing, I decided to do it. After all, I told myself, I had a plane credit that had to be used by May. I did not have a photograph with Glenn. Here was my chance!

All those justifications did not comfort me as we drove up to the Pebble Beach parking, however. Nerves were making me nauseous to the point where I would almost have felt relief if the thing had been rained out (ALMOST). Luckily, while the weather was gray, it was better than we’d initially thought. It was cold and windy, but after last year, PLS and I expected no less than a deep freeze on that course. It actually was warmer than it was last year, although only slightly. There was no real rain during the day, just occasional spatters. The ground was still moist from the rain of the prior day and evening, and on the muddy trek from the bus to the main Spyglass course, I was growing more and more nervous with each squishy step.

We’d arrived a bit late, but since Glenn’s tee time was after 10:00, we knew he couldn’t have gotten too far. We strode onto the course, scanning the groups for that figure we all know so well. And there he was, still on the first hole, dressed in dark colors. He wore charcoal gray pants that fit loosely and a navy blue long-sleeved shirt. He looked thinner than I’d seen him recently in photos. A black baseball cap rested atop hair that was just long enough to curl at the back of his neck, light brown with strands of gray. He was also sporting a bit of stubble.

Glenn was playing with pro Kevin Stadler, and his team was paired with pro Jeff Overton and country-western singer Clay Walker again. I actually spotted Clay before I spotted Glenn simply because as I looked over, Clay was wiggling his butt in preparation for a shot (I guess he does it to get his balance or something). “That’s Walker’s Wiggle,” I thought, and sure enough, when I looked a little further, I spotted Glenn.

Meeting and Greeting

We walked up as Glenn’s team was finishing up the first hole. In fact, by the time we made our way over, the team was already on their “royal processional” to the second hole. Once we caught up, he waved and smiled. Dreamer and PLS smiled and waved back, but I grimaced in embarrassment, then giggled nervously and looked down. I could feel myself becoming a dork again and had to fight the urge to hide. Thankfully, I was relatively successful in containing my dorkitude this trip. I didn’t hide once!

As soon as the group teed off, Glenn came over to shake our hands. The first thing he said was “Thanks for coming out. How are you doing?" I tried to joke "Cold" as a reference to last year, but I think he took me literally (this was to be the pattern for my deadpan humor over the next three days. He would always take it literally.) My hand met his with the boundary rope in between, causing it to jiggle along with my nerves. He moved down to PLS and asked her the same thing. “Warmer,” said PLS as he shook her hand. He commented with a grin, “Right clothes this time.” Finally, he turned to Dreamer, held out his hand to shake hers and said, “Hi, I’m Glenn.” She cried “I know!” and then shook his hand. I whispered, “Tell him your name,” and she called out, “I’m Kay!” As he moved away to continue play, she added, “So nice to meet you!” We’re a polite bunch. ;)

Psycho fandom revealed

On the 6th hole, Glenn came over to talk to us as we walked down the fairway. He asked, “So, where are you girls from?” I paused, contemplated the wisdom of telling him that I’d flown in from Indiana just to see him play, and replied “SHE’S from Livermore,” indicating PLS. (At this point I also realized that he had not received my gushy fan letter, to my immense relief.)

He smiled. “Where are you staying? Or are you commuting?” We replied that we were commuting. PLS told him that it was only about a two hour drive. This seemed to ring a bell with him. “That’s right, Livermore. Are you the girls who know Fred Pike?” I answered, “No, those were the other people.” I added wryly, “However, I do enjoy looking at Fred Pike’s products on Ebay.” Glenn looked puzzled. “Products? What are you talking about?” “Well, he has some great yearbooks for sale,” I grinned. “And essays...”

At this point dreamer chimed in. “Do you remember writing a paper in sixth or seventh grade?” Finally it dawned on Glenn what we meant. “What – he’s selling essays by me?” At this point a voice inside my head was telling me to shut up about buying his stuff off of Ebay, but I couldn’t seem to stop myself as I answered, “Yes, but she outbid me on that one.”

“Hmm, maybe we should put a stop to that,” Glenn said, glancing over at his caddy. I attempted to make up for my faux pas with some self-deprecating humor. “Now you know the kind of psycho fans we are,” I tried to joke, laughing nervously. He was a bit ahead of me, though, and I don’t think he heard me – which was probably just as well at that point.

Dreamer told him he could have the essay back if he wanted it. He grimaced. “I hate to think I peaked that early.” As he and dreamer were talking, my mouth was also running. I repeated what I’d told him last year. “I got Longbranch Pennywhistle off of Ebay.” As a result, I thought the “peaked” comment was directed at me, so I piped up, “You didn’t peak then! It’s best to start low and then go high!” Dreamer simultaneously said “I think you peaked later than that.” PLS was shaking her head vigorously at the “peaked” comment: “No, no!” Obviously, with three huge fans and just one Glenn Frey, conversational chaos reigned.

Then he changed the subject and started talking about an old classmate of his who had made a fortune as a founder of Horizon. I had never heard of that, so I repeated confusedly, “Verizon?” I figured he meant the phone company, and I thought, ‘Wow, he really must be rich, too bad Verizon sucks as a cell provider. I won’t mention that to Glenn, though.’ It’s a good thing I didn’t, as Glenn then went on to say that Horizon was a company that sold organic milk.

After he moved away, I thought, ‘Now that he knows just how extreme we are, he’ll never come back over here again!’ In fact, when Dreamer asked me, “Do you think that’s it?” I replied, “Probably.” Thankfully, I was wrong about that!

It’s not polite to point.

At the 7th, Glenn had taken his shot and had moved towards the rope where we were as the others took their turns. He was holding a golf ball in his hand and held it up, looking at it in what seemed to be a speculative manner. He then scanned the crowd. I thought, ‘Maybe he wants to give that golf ball to somebody!’ I knew Dreamer wanted one. I caught his eye and pointed at her. He looked confused, then went to take another shot. Afterwards, he came back over, fumbling in his pocket. “Why were you pointing?” He asked me. I realized then that he had never intended to give away that golf ball. “Um... no reason... but Kay wants to ask you something!” I shoved her forward, figuring if she then asked him for an autograph, it would take the attention off of me. At that point, though, he got three picks out of his pocket to give us. He dumped them into her hand – “There’s three picks for you.” After saying this, he rather abruptly walked away. In my paranoia, I once again decided I had put him off by pointing at Dreamer. Just call me “Neurotic Nancy.”

We still manage to make fools of ourselves.

On the 9th, Glenn hit his ball wide and came out in the crowd to hit it back in. We stood back, gripping our picks happily, and blessing our good fortune. After he took his shot, he looked right at us and motioned ‘come here.’ with his hand. Our hearts began to race. Was Glenn indicating he wanted us to come over to him? We stood frozen in shock. “Who, us?” I mouthed. He motioned again with an exasperated look on his face. As one, we eagerly stepped forward – only to bump into his caddy who he was really motioning to.

OH THE MORTIFICATION!

After that hole, I realized I was still clutching my pick tightly. I opened up my hand, sighed happily, and gave it a bit of a stroke before putting it slowly away. As I looked up, he was looking over at me. Great, another “obsessive fan” moment!

We all went to lunch and tried to recover our appetites after our humiliation. To my dismay, I discovered that they did not have cheese for hot dogs OR hamburgers! Come on! I got a turkey sandwich, a Diet Coke, and a cookie (in honor of that article I posted on the site about him giving a fan his cookie to hold). That paltry amount of food cost me $14.

TIMBER!

We didn’t get back to the game until the 11th hole. As we approached, there was a loud SNAP and screams of fear. PLS looked over in the direction of the commotion and saw the remains of a big tree shaking in the strong wind. From the excited murmurings of people around us, we discovered that the tree by the 17th hole had snapped in half and its top had almost landed on a crowd of people. Luckily, everyone was able to run out of the way in time and no one was seriously injured. PLS didn’t realize this, though. When she saw the crowds move towards the tree, she had the terrible thought they were going there to assist in pulling the tree off of somebody. Turns out only one guy got his cheek scraped by a branch.

I had missed the spectacle, too focused on getting to Glenn’s tee while simultaneously chomping on my cookie and swigging my Diet Coke (and yes, I recognize that the low-fat aspect of Diet Coke is nullified when one is stuffing one's face with cookies, but a girl has to treat herself sometimes). After I heard people talking about it, I kept whispering “Where is it? Where?” Finally, PLS, turned me in the direction of the sound. I still couldn’t figure out where the broken tree was. Seems I always miss out!

Finally, we reached the hole. Glenn turned around and asked “Did you see that?” I still hadn’t, but I joined those nodding so as not to look clueless. With a wry smile on his face, he looked around and quipped, “Where’s that drink cart?” We all cracked up, including Clay, who was getting ready to hit.

A real good time

Not long after, there was some down time. Glenn was standing by a tree outside the rope. Dreamer saw this as her opportunity to get her CD signed. She walked up to him, Strange Weather CD in hand. “Can I get you to sign something for me?” “Sure,” he replied in sexy voice that left Dreamer breathless. “This is a real good time.”

Dreamer responded in her best Blanche Dubois sexy Southern drawl, “I thought so. I didn’t want to bother you when you were concentrating.” He smiled and started to sign the CD booklet, which had been strategically folded to the “Part of Me, Part of You” lyric page (Dreamer can’t stand the cover art of that CD. I had advised her earlier not to mention that, lol). “What’s your name again?” he asked her. She told him and, as he signed, added, “I love this album – you really should play some of the songs on it at your solo shows.” Sadly for the hardcore fans, his response wasn’t very promising. He made a face that indicated he wasn’t planning on doing that any time soon.

Holy crap! Holy frickin’ crap!

It was the 17th hole when the big event happened. The hole was backed up because the team ahead of Glenn’s was still playing and hadn’t cleared the fairway. Glenn was standing on the far side of the tee. We were in our usual place, hovering next to the rope. PLS caught his eye and made a writing motion while mouthing “Will you sign something?” He mouthed “Sure” and nodded his head. He came over and did that, then stayed to chat.

As he signed, I said “Can I ask you a question about golf?” While I hated revealing my ignorance, I was curious and I figured it was probably something no one else around Pebble Beach would need to ask. “Why is it that you sometimes pick up the ball instead of continuing to hit it until it goes in to the hole?” He told me that he did that when he’d “played out” by reaching par and could no longer help his team. I was still a little uncertain as to how that worked, but I didn’t inquire further as I wanted to maintain the illusion that I at least had half a clue. PLS illuminated me on the way that the pro-am scoring worked later.

But instead of being down about the fact that he had “played out” more times than he’d have liked to this round, he brought up the tree falling and said that it put everything into perspective. He told us that it made him realize it didn’t matter how far over par he was. He was alive and well, and that’s what’s important. In that vein, he added, “Good thing nobody was hurt.” PLS took the opportunity to joke, “If I had been standing under that tree when it fell, I would have had to change my...” she paused and decided against her original word choice of ‘underwear.’ “...jeans.” Dreamer grimaced playfully. “Too much information!” she cried. PLS shrugged. “Hey, I have a teenage daughter, no subject is taboo at our house.” Glenn apparently didn’t follow. “Huh? Taboo?” PLS explained, “I mean that no subject is off limits. She can ask any question she wants.” He said “Oh” and nodded. We wondered if he could even hear us over the wind, but then he asked how old PLS’ daughter was. (She’s 14).

It was at that point that he noticed a young girl by the rope who was probably about 11. He walked over to her and handed her a pick. We thought he would probably head back over to his partners then, but instead he came back to us. We chatted a bit more, and he thanked us for coming out again. Then he leaned in towards PLS and to our amazement, he planted a kiss on her cheek! She was stunned, but recovered herself enough to give him a quick peck on the cheek back before he pulled away. He turned towards me, smiling, but his grin was nothing compared to the ear-to-ear smile I had plastered across my face as I saw him leaning in. “I gotta get me one of those!” I tried to joke, attempting to play it off as no big deal, but that pretense was shot as soon as those lips came into contact with my cheek! Unlike PLS, I did not have the presence of mind to return the kiss. In fact, it didn’t even occur to me. And yes, I’m kicking myself. He went on to dreamer and not only did she give him a kiss back, she gave him a half-hug!

We could barely contain ourselves, and after he turned his back to look down the fairway and check the progress of the team ahead, I made a fanning motion with my hand. I wasn’t kidding, folks. I really did need to fan myself. My cheeks were flushed and my heart was pounding. We all silently squee-ed, but then we noticed Glenn looking out of the corner of his eye at us. I didn’t think I could blush hotter, but I did when I realized he was noticing our freak-out. He turned back around, feeling the need to tell the swooning girls that his kiss was completely platonic (the sad thing is, we knew that – and we STILL were swooning). “You know, I can’t complain,” he told us. “Life is good. I have a great wife, a great family; I’m 2-and-O with colon surgery....” PLS chimed in, “I’m 2-and-O for heart surgery! We have the same odds!” He laughed. “Oh really! Well, the sun will be up tomorrow.” Dreamer said, “Obviously you haven’t seen the weather report!” He smiled philosophically and replied, “Yeah, but either way, it’ll come up.”

When you’ve gotta go, you’ve gotta go.

At the end of play, he was walking along the path to the exit and met us walking along the path to Cloud Nine. When he saw us, he smiled. I chirped, “I’m in a REALLY good mood now!” with my massive grin still in place. He called out “Have a safe commute!” as he moved away.

At this point my 20-oz Diet Coke was catching up to me. Dreamer, PLS, and I headed toward the port-a-potties, despite the fact that we knew they would be wretchedly disgusting at the end of the day. As we approached, we saw Glenn going into the port-a-potty area also! “Great,” I complained to Dreamer and PLS. “If he sees us coming in there now, he’ll probably think we’re stalking him into a frickin’ port-a-potty.” But when you’ve gotta go, you’ve gotta go – a sentiment I imagine Glenn shared, as nothing less could induce him to go into that sty of filth. As soon as we entered the port-a-potty area, I hustled to the nearest stall before Glenn could see me. I won’t go into any more detail about what those things were like, but let’s just say Glenn got a good chance to experience the worst of how the other half lives!

An event not likely to be repeated

Leaving that day, we were all holding our cheeks, sighing, and thinking how lucky we were that the stars had aligned just right that day for us. We had never expected that to happen and I doubt it will ever happen again. I guess you can just call us Misses Lucky.

glenneaglesfan
02-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Good gracious, Soda, that is such an adventure for you three. How sweet of him to come and thank you right at the start, and remembering your clothing choices last year!!!! You really got to chat with him, Dreamer and PLS got signatures (love the fact that you chose that picture, Kay), and despite some awkward moments - you all received a kiss!!! :D :D :D

It was lucky no one was hurt when that tree came down, and maybe it was fortuitous, nothing like a close shave to get one's priorities into perspective.

I had to laugh at the last bit...after that lovely parting, to have met him in the queue for the portaloos would have been too embarrassing!!

EasyFeeling
02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
:shock: :D OMG, what a great story!!! I so enjoyed reading that. But it took me about 15 minutes to read AND understand all that. :roll: I must say you have a great talent in writing. I felt as if I was there. Sorry, I can't express my reply very well. I'm still in shock and can't think in English right now. I think I have to read it 5 times at least to handle this.

timfan
02-13-2007, 03:51 PM
WOW Soda, PLS and Dreamer, your first day certainly sounds like it made the trip worth it!

Even with the awkward moments :) Hey we are all human and we don't always say or do what we later wish we had but that's what it means to be human. :D

02-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Great job with the write-up, Nanc. And you all are so right. If the trip had ended after Day 1, I would have still been on Cloud Nine. It was such a thrill for me that I will never forget. As PLS so aptly stated, my plane may have landed, but I'm still flying.

Brooke
02-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Wow ladies, that was definitely an excellent adventure! I felt like I was standing right there with you!

8)

DonFan
02-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Great write-up, Nancy! I agree with Brooke, it felt like I was right there with you, too!

freyfanatic
02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
That was AWESOME, thanks for the details Nancy, it was a fantastic read :D

Freypower
02-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Thank you for sharing it with us - it sounds wonderful.

Perfect Little Sister
02-14-2007, 12:02 AM
It was wonderful FP. (if a bit shocking) While it was thrilling for us as fans, on his part it was sweet and very chaste. He made sure we didn't get any ideas by pointing out how happily married he is. It was nice to see the different sides of him...Glenn the man as opposed to Glenn the Eagle.

02-14-2007, 12:30 AM
It was nice to see the different sides of him...

I ain't touching that! :wink:

No seriously - PLS is right. It was special to get a little bit of insight into the man rather than the rock star (although I'm not complaining about that part either). :)

Brooke
02-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Anxiously awating Day 2 review! :D

sodascouts
02-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Dreamer, PLS, and soda’s Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure 2007: Day 2

Rainy day women

While Thursday had better weather than we’d feared, Friday was the opposite. The rain wasn’t torrential as we made our way towards the Poppy Hills course, but it was ever-present. We even encountered an accident on the highway which slowed our progress (hopefully no one was hurt). Sometimes the rain would lighten up enough so that you thought you could take off your hood or close your umbrella... and then it would start up again. The only virtue of this was that I didn’t have to worry if I looked good in my outfit. I was a big walking navy blue raincoat with a hood for almost the entire day, only differentiated by the other rain-coat clad spectators by the icky reddish-brown curls sticking out from the hood in all directions. Dreamer, who seemingly never gets cold, was able to display her nice tight black top and carry around her coat, using only an umbrella. I was envious! PLS was also stuck in a raincoat and hood much of the day, although hers fit her a little better than mine did.

But who cares what we were wearing? Let’s get to Glenn! He looked more stylish than we did in his black rain gear and yellow baseball cap, occasionally worn backwards. He was wearing a black sweatshirt under his coat that we didn’t get to see much, and slick black “rain pants” that weren’t the best fit in the world. He had to keep hiking them up, as they were always trying to slide down. As the day progressed, however, they began to snug up nicely.

Due to the weather, the accident, and our own inability to “rise and shine” quickly in the morning, we once again got to the course late. We caught up to Glenn at the 12th hole (he’d started on the 10th that day – and yes, this year, PLS and I remembered, with Dreamer’s help!) As we arrived, Glenn looked over, waved, and smiled. Not long after, Glenn joked that his fans were “braving the elements” to see him.

After we walked up, we saw a girl who had been there yesterday with friends and last year as well to see Glenn, but on that day was by herself. Since we were all there for the same reason, we hooked up with her. I’m not sure she’s cool with her name being on the internet, so I’ll call her VPB for “Veteran Pebble Beacher” – she’d been there four years in a row! She had on a cool necklace made from a pick Glenn had given her on a prior trip, and had managed to get a couple of photos with Glenn in prior years as well. I asked her if she thought Glenn would be amenable to photos this year, and she said probably because of the rain we might be able to persuade him to strike a pose. She also showed us that Glenn had made the Monterey paper’s sports insert. He was on the front page of it!

It didn’t take long for us to sense that the group was not doing as well as they would like. Ironically, it was pros who seemed to be struggling the most. The game got more and more backed up time-wise, causing Glenn to look at his watch several times. It didn’t help that Overton was taking excruciating amounts of time to set up his shots – much longer than usual. Perhaps his bad game was caused by over-thinking! The four men were not happy campers that day. With such a vibe, it wasn’t surprising that Glenn wasn’t in the same spirits as the day before. He avoided the crowd and even his own teammates at times, standing off by himself looking glum. In fact we worried that he actually might be feeling sick. Still, there were some memorable moments.

When You’ve Gotta Go, You’ve Gotta Go: The Sequel

At the 14th hole, two twenty-something girls near the rope had started softly singing ‘Take It Easy’ when Glenn was standing around waiting for the team ahead of them to finish. They were in front of PLS, and she hurriedly made herself scarce, concerned that Glenn would think she was one of the group attempting to serenade him. Additionally, after last year’s off-key experience with Hotel California, she didn’t want her ears to start bleeding. Dreamer, VPB, and I didn’t even realize PLS had run off, as VPB needed to go to the little port-a-potty by the hole and we were holding her stuff for her.

Meanwhile, the team ahead of Glenn’s was moving so slowly that Glenn decided to take the opportunity to go to the bathroom as well. He ran down the hill from the tee to the port-a-potty. “Sh*t!” he exclaimed when he saw it was occupied. Dreamer and I started to giggle. He looked over at us. “Is that your girlfriend in there?” Dreamer kept her mouth shut, but I said “Yes” and laughed again. Of course, VPB was oblivious to all of this. When she opened the door to come out, Glenn ran back up to the port-a-potty and cried in mock exasperation, “FINALLY!” VPB was initially embarrassed but we were cracking up. As this was occurring, the two “singers” came down to the port-a-potty as well to wait for Glenn to come out! When he opened the door, there they were, once again bursting into a chorus of ‘Take It Easy’ for his benefit. He just rolled his eyes, stepped in between them, and made his way back up to the hill up the tee.

The Dorkitude Strikes Back

Later on, we were walking down a fairway on a sidewalk that was across from the rope dividing us from the green. I had my raincoat on and my hood up. As I walked down the path, I looked over my shoulder to see where Glenn was on the green, but my hood kept me from having any peripheral vision. I lifted it a bit so I could see over my shoulder and there was Glenn, right at my elbow on the sidewalk! In fact, when I turned, I was looking right into his eyes. Taken off-guard, I gasped, jumped to the left and tried to cover my embarrassment by putting my head down and walking without looking to the right or left. You know I couldn’t escape having at least one dork moment per day, of course!

At one point, after observing us, a guy who had earlier asked which one was Glenn Frey (!) commented to PLS, “You must be Eagles fans.” PLS replied, “Gee, what was your first clue?” lol

The day wore on with its dark skies and dark moods, both occasionally lightening only to return again. After Glenn’s team finished the 4th hole, where they had also performed poorly, Glenn turned to us as the “royal processional” made its way down the hill to the next hole. “We suck,” he half-joked, smiling ruefully. We all expressed sympathy. I said, “Yeah, sorry about the way you’re kind of sucking, that’s too bad,” then thought that perhaps I should have worded it more tactfully. Oh well, I don’t think he heard me and my big mouth anyway!

Star on a Hill

At the 7th hole, the team was once again backed up (big surprise there). We descended the hill from the 6th to the 7th somewhat parallel to the team. With all the rain, the slope was a little slippery, and as Dreamer navigated it, she got her umbrella caught on the rope. Glenn was right at her elbow. As PLS reached over to unhook Dreamer’s umbrella, Glenn steadied Dreamer’s arm and told them, “Watch your step, girls.”

I had gone on ahead with VPB. As Dreamer and PLS continued to descend, Glenn paused and waited where he was by himself. Dreamer came down to where we stood and breathlessly told me what had happened. I turned to look up the path to see where Glenn was, and who should I see talking to Glenn but PLS! While Dreamer had been relating her exciting moment, PLS had decided to take the opportunity to go up the hill again and talk to Glenn.

PLS struck up the conversation with, “You know... we went to a few of the solo shows last summer...” Glenn perked up. “Which shows?” he asked. She answered, “We were at the Michigan show and both Rama shows.” “Ah, Canada,” he replied and she nodded. Holding her hand over her heart, she sighed, “I just LOVED the new song you did, ‘I Love to Watch a Woman Dance.’” He told her, “I didn’t write that, it was written by Larry J. McNally. We’ve had that for about eight years.” PLS eagerly continued, “It’s such a beautiful song and the understated instrumentation just allows your voice to shine. And the delivery was just...” she paused, groping a word... “...fantastic.” He seemed pleased. “Yeah, it’s a great song. The accordion...” he trailed off. Then he said, “We’re laying down tracks this week, I think they’re working on it while I’m gone, in fact. We’re having Don and Tim put down harmony tracks for that. We had to change it a little bit... add some harmonies... ‘Eagle-ize’ it,” he finished with a grin. “Cool!” Lissa exclaimed. At that point, they started heading down the hill towards the rest of us, continuing the conversation about Rama.

That was when Dreamer, VPB, and I got in on the action. As they approached, I could hear Glenn say, “Yeah, Rama’s a great venue.” I chimed in that I was there, too, and that I’d also liked it. Dreamer asked, “Are you planning on doing any solo shows this year?” He answered, “No, just a few corporate shows.” When we all looked dismayed, he explained, “I need to spend some time with my kids.” I immediately felt guilty for even asking! However, I felt compelled to add in a rush, “Well, if you can’t do solo shows, then why not do solo songs with the Eagles? You could bring back ‘You Belong to the City...’” I broke off abruptly as I realized from his expression that he was not too receptive to this idea.

At this point, VPB pulled out the insert from the newspaper that she’d shown us earlier. The photo of Glenn on the cover had been taken after he’d just made a shot. She held it out so he could see it. “Did you know you were on this?” she asked. He squinted at it. “Wha... is that me?” We all nodded. He looked at it and said half-jokingly, half-disgustedly, “No follow through!” Shaking his head, he turned away and continued walking down the hill without us.

Say cheese!

At the last hole, Glenn had walked ahead of us from the 8th - but when he saw that they were backed up again, he paused at the end of the path as the rest of the team moved forward. He looked back over his shoulder as we came down the path. I thought, ‘This is my chance to get a photo!’ I had been too nervous to approach him earlier because he seemed like he wanted to be left alone and I figured if he wanted to talk to us, he would come over and do so. However, this was pretty much the end, and I really wanted a photo, so I screwed up my courage and told myself that if he'd really wanted to escape us, he would have kept moving forward.

As we walked up, he looked at us and smiled; I smiled back and was about to pull out my camera when Dreamer took the opportunity to ask him for a sig. As he signed, I said, “I know you’re busy, but when you get a chance, do you think it might be possible at some point for you to pose for a photo with me?” He replied, “Actually, this would be the best time, because we’re ridiculously backed up.” He was not happy to be waiting, that’s for sure. I said “Great” and gave my camera to VPB, giving her quick instructions on how to take a photo with it.

As soon as Glenn was done with Dreamer, I went over to Glenn, put my arm around him, and smiled a big dorky smile. Glenn actually smiled at this point too, which is something he hadn’t done too often that day. VPB took the photo, then I asked her to take another one just in case that one didn’t turn out (sadly, this one turned out even worse because she half-dropped the camera). Glenn joked, “Always gotta have the safety shot.”

Afterwards, I let go of him and gave him a huge thumbs-up, once again grinning from ear-to-ear. He returned the thumbs up with a grin of his own, but as soon as I’d stepped away to take the camera from VPB, he turned on his heel and disappeared into the woods. This was much to the disappointment of VPB and anyone else who wanted a photo with him. Oh well, maybe next year (for me too, since I discovered later that my photo didn’t come out at all).

He Went Lickety-Splitly

That was the last time we talked to him that day. He seemed to be in a big hurry and as soon as his group was finished playing, he hustled out as fast as he could. As we said earlier, what with the amount of time it was taking, the weather, and all the other factors, we weren’t surprised.

While we weren’t as jazzed as we were the day before, Dreamer had gotten a touch on the arm, I had gotten a photo with Glenn, and PLS had gotten some new information on the album. The day was hardly a wash, despite the rain.

timfan
02-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Sounds like another great day at Pebble!

Glenn was giving you lots of attention and even tho he wasn't in the greatest moods he still knew you were there for him and made the effort to interact!

The stuff about the port a potty is just too funny :laugh: and soda I certainly don't think you were 'dorky' when you jumped at Glenn being beside you :). You were suprised and any of us would react the same way if we were suprised by someone whether they are Glenn Frey or not!

Brooke
02-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Oh, man! More wonderful Glenn 'tact! 8)

Even though he wasn't in the best of moods, he was nice to you all! Is there nothing you can do to your picture to save it?

sodascouts
02-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I thought making it smaller might sharpen it up a bit, but it's so bad that even the tiny one is blurred horribly. Here's the small version:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/PB2007shrunk.jpg

DonFan
02-14-2007, 05:38 PM
That's not such a bad photo, Soda--you can see both of you, even if it isn't clear.

I continue to be amazed at how sweet Glenn is to his fans. He is such a great guy!

Freypower
02-14-2007, 06:34 PM
You can see that perfectly fine, Soda. That's great.

No solo shows - I didn't think there would be. Kudos to you for asking about solo songs but I think the setlist is going to reflect the new album.

His comments about ILTW were great. It should sound wonderful.

Glad you all had such a great time and so much contact with him.

timfan
02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
It looks like a pretty good picture to me! You can clearly identify both you and Glenn so its not THAT bad!

and I agree DF. Glenn sure is great to his fans; so kind, chatty and humour-filled :D

freyfanatic
02-14-2007, 07:59 PM
I like the pic Soda and the read too, can't wait till day 3!!! :D

EasyFeeling
02-15-2007, 05:14 AM
That was a great read, Soda. :D And I like that photo it's not that bad. Cool that he talked a little bit about the new album. :)

glenneaglesfan
02-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Day 2 sounds pretty cool even with the bad weather. I love the way that he made contact with you all on several occasions, even though he was having a bad day. I'll know not to sing to him if I ever meet him (as if...!!!) Congratulations to you, PLS, for saying how much you enjoyed Rama and ILTW. It sounds really hopeful about the album now. How sweet he was to you, Dreamer, when you got caught up. Sigh...

Nancy, that photo is very cool. Once again I have to say he is a really nice (and handsome) man. :smitten:

Brooke
02-15-2007, 11:06 AM
It's not that bad, Soda! Definitely worth keeping! You both look great! 8)

sodascouts
02-15-2007, 11:28 PM
PLS, Dreamer's and soda's Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure 2007 Day 3, Part 1

Here we go...

Time for our last day! We're breaking this into two parts due to time and length considerations.

Due to PLS’ and my experience last year, we went in with expectations low. I told Dreamer we might not even get seen. Boy, was I wrong!

The weather driving up was absolutely wretched. The rain pounded against the van so hard that we were afraid the last day would be rained out. However, when we were only a few miles from Pebble Beach, the sky started to clear. It really was amazing. We went from blinding sheets of rain to seeing sunlight in a matter of minutes.

As we drove up in the new and improved weather, we realized we couldn’t have asked for a better scenario. The rain had kept people away and reduced crowds considerably, but the fact that it had cleared up allowed us to avoid getting wet (at least at that point). Woot!

Pebble Beach is, in my opinion, the loveliest course, and the rain had not diminished its beauty (although it had rendered the scenery soggier). Since the middle holes are far from the crowd on the cliffs and hills, we were lucky to catch up with Glenn when he was at the 3rd hole. At the green he looked over, saw us, and pretended to be surprised. Yeah, I’m sure it was absolutely astonishing to see that his frenzied Frey fans had come back for more! When they moved to the next hole, he came past us and smiled. Dreamer was proudly wearing her “Prelude to Obscurity” tour shirt, with “Glenn Frey 2006” emblazoned in yellow across her chest. He noticed! Dreamer saw where his eyes had landed, laughed, and said “Nice shirt, huh!”

A Clay Moment

Glenn seemed to be in much better spirits, and he was playing better as well. Clay Walker was in a better mood, too, but was still having some trouble at first. On the 6th hole, Clay hit really wide. The ball actually landed on another fairway! We were watching this from the top of the hill, with the fairway at the bottom, and the ball had gone over our heads. Discouraged, Clay trudged up the hill towards us to throw something away (we were by the trash can). When he was near us, we decided to talk to him a little bit. Dreamer was especially guilt-ridden that we had ignored Clay up until that time. We said hello and PLS reminded him of last year when, on that same hole, he had hit a ball so wide that it had almost nailed us. He said in a Texas drawl, “Really? Well, I’m glad I didn’t hit y’all!” PLS also complimented him on his chip shot from last year, which pleased him. He said that he hoped he could hit more shots like that, but it didn’t look like it so far! He thanked us and went after his ball as we moved closer to where Glenn was. I joked that Glenn would no doubt be jealous if he knew we were talking to Clay. ;)

Back to Glenn

The guys were a lot happier on the 7th hole, where both Clay and Glenn did better than the pros. This was the hole that was so memorable from last year – the one that curved around the cliffside and seemed to be almost a ‘Hail Mary’ type drive into the whipping wind. Glenn’s drive landed on the green, as did Clay’s, while both the pros went out of bounds. We looked over and noted how the wind rushing over the cliffs was making a gorgeous swirled pattern out of the clouds... revealing the first bit of blue sky that dreamer and I had seen on our visit to “Sunny” California.

And the drink saga begins...

The real excitement started on the 8th hole. We had moved along and were waiting for the guys to progress from the 7th hole when Carl the Caddy moved ahead of the group and approached us. As he did, I had to razz him a bit about the fact that for all three days, he had been wearing white shorts. “Dude, what’s the deal with these shorts?” I laughed, gesturing at them. He shrugged and grinned. “I’m Norwegian.” “Does that make you impervious to cold?” I asked. His response: “No brain, no pain.” lol

Then, he got down to business. “Hey, we were wondering if you could do Glenn a favor?” Of course we all nodded eagerly. “Glenn wants a vodka and orange juice. Could you go get him one?” He pointed towards a nearby tent. “See if they have one over there.” “Sure!” I answered excitedly as he handed PLS a $20 bill. “We live to serve!” As we started to move away, Dreamer asked, “Does he have a second choice?” Carl said, “Nah, they’ll have it. It's called a screwdriver.” (Thanks, Carl).

As we all descended as one to the tent, Dreamer joked, “How many California girls does it take to buy Glenn Frey a screwdriver?” We thought that was really funny.... it would turn out to be all too true! Getting that drink took us almost TWO HOURS.

The tent Carl had indicated turned out to be the AT&T clubhouse and therefore not a good spot to ask for screwdrivers. After that discovery, we went to the nearest snack stand. “Do you sell screwdrivers?” PLS asked. The girl looked confused. “Vodka, where’s the vodka?” I cried impatiently, which got me a strange look or two. Now that she understood, she consulted with a couple other ladies in the booth, and it was determined that there was a place that sold hard drinks at either end of the course, both of which were about a mile away from that spot. We decided to go to the one on the far end because the golfers were headed that way.

We went back up to the 8th fairway to report our difficulties to Carl and Glenn. As we got parallel to them (they were at the bottom of the hill, we were at the top), Glenn looked up at as and held up 10 fingers, mouthing “10.” I didn’t know what he meant, but then I saw Carl hustling up the hill to tell us. “There’s a place that sells drinks on the 10. We’ll catch up with you on the 9th,” he proclaimed.

We scurried off again. Confused about where to go, I double checked with some kids selling ice cream, then we hurried down the path. I moved a little more quickly than PLS and dreamer, and kept turning around and motioning to them to hurry up. Unfortunately, once we got to the 10th, there were no drink booths in site. We saw a small VIP tent by the hole, and a small snack shop further down called Neville’s. I once again inquired of a stoic looking Pebble Beach worker about which way to go for drinks, and he didn’t know. We walked all the way down to Neville’s and, when we asked there, we were told that the only place that sold hard liquor was the clubhouse, which was now TWO miles away!!!

PLS tried to get a cart because she assumed there might be one coming to stock shelves, but they told her to ask for one at the information booth... which happened to be located next to the AT&T tent where we’d started from. We didn’t have time to relish the irony; we were on a mission, and as I melodramatically declared, “This is all he's ever asked of us. We WILL NOT fail him!” ;) We headed back in that direction.

Once we arrived at the booth, we told the lady there that we needed a cart and why. She called one on her walkie-talkie, saying, “I’ll just say you’re handicapped.” PLS replied that she actually DID qualify as handicapped because of her bad back. However, this day, being handicapped didn’t get you too much special service. There was actually a shortage of handicapped carts. PLS wound up hitching a ride with a passing one-seater golf cart.

After PLS hopped on and rode away, Dreamer and I headed back to give Carl the Caddy a progress report. At that point, Glenn had moved on from the 8th. The path forked and Dreamer and I weren’t sure whether we should head for the 9th and the 10th. Dreamer went on ahead to see. She found them on the 9th and we both went to tell Carl the news.

As we approached, play was on. We waited until between shots, and then we motioned for Carl to come over. Seeing that we didn’t have the drink, he wasn’t in too big a hurry. He finally made his way over and we tried to explain why it wasn’t there. He didn’t looked pleased. Dreamer began “It’s coming...” and then tried to explain what had been happening, but then Overton’s caddy shushed us and Carl hurried away. I tried to get his attention again but Dreamer told me, “Nancy, I told him the drink was coming, and that’s all he wants to hear.” Good point!

We moved away from the green and had a little bit of a powwow. Dreamer suggested that I wait at the crossroads for PLS to come back with the drink and direct her in the right direction, while Dreamer stayed with Glenn’s group. It sounded like a good idea. As Dreamer left to go after Glenn, she hollered back over her shoulder, “It really DOES take 3 California girls to buy Glenn Frey a screwdriver!” I about died laughing!

And now each of the ladies will tell her own story about her adventures:

--------------------------------

Dreamer's saga:

I didn’t realize it at the time, but I think I got the best deal here. I left Soda at her watch post to locate the Stadler team. I figured they were on the 10th hole, so that’s where I headed. When I got there, there they were on the fairway. They were walking down the middle of the green, which was pretty wide. When they stopped, Carl and Glenn were standing together, but both with their backs to me, so they couldn’t see me. Since they were nearly finished and I didn’t think they were going to see me, I decided I should head toward the 11th hole. I walked close to the rope so Carl would see me when he came along. Within a minute or so, some one walked up beside me. I glanced over and it was Glenn. I gave him a big smile and very calmly and coolly said “hi.” Before I could say anything else, he joking said, “Where are those Livermore girls with my drink?” I laughed and said, “I have no idea, but they should be here soon.” Again jokingly, he said, “Man, I send you girls to buy a drink on the 8th hole and here we are on the 11th and I still don’t have it – what’s going on here?” Then I said, “Do you have any idea how hard it is for us commoners to get a drink around here?” I then proceeded to tell him the details of the wild goose chase he had sent us on. At some point during my lament, he shook his head as if he were in disbelief and said, “And I thought YOU girls could get a guy a drink.” Since I have this hunch that patience is not one of Mr. Frey’s virtues, I kidded back that we had the situation well control, and that I was sure it wouldn’t be much longer. I told him we were very resourceful girls, and that we had even shamelessly used PLS’ heart condition to hitch her a ride in a golf cart. He gave a little laugh and said, “Sounds like it’s under control.” I told him to hang in there, that they should be here any time now. He kind of rolled his eyes. I grinned at him and kidded, “C’mon now – don’t worry – you can do this!” I assured him that we would be standing right at the ropes when they returned. He then looked up at his team, and veered off to meet up with them.

This walk was approximately 5 minutes long. After it was over, it suddenly hit me how “cool” I had remained. As I continued walking, I spotted PLS and Soda heading for the top of the hill. I started freaking thinking about what had just transpired as I walked hurriedly to catch up with them.

------------------------------

Meanwhile, back at the golf cart....PLS’s saga:

Being the gimp, I got on the golf cart while Soda and Dreamer stayed behind to relay the latest twist to the guys. The cart driver drove me across the golf course, and as we were going, I asked the guy, “Is there any way I can get a cart to take me back to the 10th or 11th hole?” He said, “I’d stay and wait for you, but I have a commitment.” ‘Rats,’ I thought (I thought that a lot on this saga). I thanked him profusely and started down the hill to the “Beach Club” (aka bar). As I approached, I noticed signs everywhere: “Members Only” – and not one, but THREE, employees guarding the door. Great! But after everything I’d gone through so far, I was not giving up.

One of them asked, “Can I help you?” I said, “I’m trying to buy a vodka and orange juice.” The person said, “This is the only place selling that, but you have to be a member.” OK folks, last straw. I resorted to name-dropping. (I know, I know, the shame of such behavior!) I said, “The caddy came over and asked me to get GLENN FREY a screwdriver.” They clarified, “Glenn Frey?” I nodded, and asked, “Is there any way...” at which point, they interrupted my request that one of them go inside and get it for me by telling me, “Go on in and get it, then come right out.” (Basically, ‘no loitering’!) I thanked them and went inside. Mind you, I was damp, horrendously wind-blown, and had grass stuck to my boots. Can you say “uncomfortable”? ‘Cause I was! Luckily, I spotted the bar right off, so I didn’t have to wander around like an idiot looking for it. I ordered the drink thinking 'Hmm, that looks kind of strong,' and I went back outside. Once again I thanked the “guards” and started walking back looking for someone to get a ride from.

Have you ever noticed how when a bartender hands you a drink, it’s filled to the brim, and you have to take sip before you move or you’ll spill? Imagine walking a golf course in the wind and not being able to take that first sip to drop the level below the rim of the cup.

So, I walked along as quickly as I could, trying not to spill, and of course there were NO carts in sight. I walked all the way back to the sixth hole and finally saw a guy delivering water for the players. He had no room in his cart, but he was wearing a headset. ‘Oh, happy day!’ I thought. ‘Maybe he’ll call someone for me!’

I walked over to him. When I asked him, he said that there was a rule against taking spectators in carts. I told him, “I’m trying to get this drink to a golfer on the 10th hole.” He said, “Oh, sorry, I don’t have room. You can go to the information booth and ask for a transport, or try to flag someone down.” Huge sigh. I started walking again, but luckily, another twenty-something guy came along in a cart. I flagged him down and ask him pretty please, to take me to the 10th hole, and he said OK. Yay!!!

We started down towards the 10th hole, and I held the drink out to the side so as not to spill it on me. He asked who the drink was for. I said, “Glenn Frey.” He said “I don’t know him.” (Blasphemy, I know!) I said, “The Eagles.” He said, “I’m a Cardinals fan.” Somehow, I managed not to hit him over the head with a brick, and said, “The rock band.” He said, “Oh! Before my time.” I looked around for the brick.

He took the shortest route as quickly as possible which, unfortunately for me, involved going up and down curbs and across bumpy grass. I spilled surprisingly little and then, halfway to the 10th, we ran into Soda.

------------------------------------------------

Back to me (Soda) again! I had been standing, then sitting at that corner for almost an hour. I began to wonder if PLS had taken a back way to the tee and they were all there now, getting ready to come and fetch me. If Dreamer had the best job, I undoubtedly had the worst! Finally, I decided to go back to the information tent and have them radio PLS’ cart, which I assumed she was still on, to discover if she was still on her way. I was almost at the booth when I saw her riding towards me in the golf cart, drink in hand. “GLORY HALLELUJAH!” I cried out loud, getting more strange looks – especially from the cart driver, whom I was now running towards joyfully. “You’re back!” I cried as I ran up. I started walking alongside the cart, but the man was nice enough to invite me to hop on to the platform in the back where they put boxes. In my mind I wondered about the legality of it, but since I wasn’t planning on suing him if I fell off, I gladly climbed on. There was no seat there, so I stood up, gripping the back of the seats in front of me, as we pulled away. With the wind whipping through my hair and the sun shining down on our success, I felt like I was riding in on a royal chariot with the princess holding the golden goblet. Too bad Glenn Frey didn’t get a load of the sight we made!

The guy dropped us off at the bottom of the hill after using his walkie-talkie to determine Glenn’s position. We trudged up the hill and poor PLS, who had been so good about not spilling anything, was now getting splashed by Glenn’s drink simply due to the force of the wind. At least she was able to make this into a punch line later!

And that “Later” will be part two of the day, which will be much more Glenn-centric, I assure you!

timfan
02-15-2007, 11:45 PM
you ladies sure had an adventuresome few days! :wink:

can't wait to her Part 2!!! :D 8) :D

freyfanatic
02-16-2007, 12:06 AM
wow who would have know it took that much work to buy a guy a drink? :? very interesting and exciting read, can't wait for part 2...

Maleah
02-16-2007, 01:59 AM
good grief this is like reading a good book! I get to the end and I'm like......WHAT??? Where's the rest??? I want to know what happened NOW! :laugh:

glenneaglesfan
02-16-2007, 06:26 AM
That was such fun to read! What a saga getting that drink!! PLS, you did really well not to spill much on that cart. I'd have found it hard to resist taking a little sip just to lower the level!! Dreamer, fancy finding him alongside you and chatting, WOW! He must have been chuffed to see your shirt!

I agree, Maleah, it's like a novel that you can't put down! Can't wait for the next episode, but it may have to wait until after our holiday...

EasyFeeling
02-16-2007, 08:26 AM
I also agree with you, GEF and Maleah. That really was fun to read. 8) And it's not nice to stop at this point. :evil: :wink:

GEF, have fun in Portugal!!! :)

Brooke
02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
This is just hilarious! I wish someone would have been along to video you gals! :lol:

Clay Walker is so cute (especially with the longer hair these days! :wink: ) and I like his latest country single "I Saw Mama Before She Was Mama." Check it out. It's funny and cute!

Dreamer, very cool interlude with Glenn! :partytime:

PLS, loved your comment to the cart driver "the ROCK band!" I can just imagine your disgust! :brickwall: And I would probably have been tempted to take a sip of that drink, too!

Can't wait to hear the finale! :D

02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Actually, if I must say so myself, this is rather funny to read now as I look back on it. At the time, we were so focused on our mission and were determined to get that damn drink! It wasn't until I read this that I realized just how pathetic we really were. :wink: The whole day was just surreal. Oh well, anything for Glenn!

Perfect Little Sister
02-16-2007, 02:21 PM
As I turned from the bar I just automatically started to take a sip because it was up to the rim. About halfway to my mouth I realized...dude! I can't sip Glenn's drink! lol

EasyFeeling
02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif True, Dreamer. :twisted: But I think at that moment there is nothing more important as to get that drink for him. :wink: I would exactly do the same.

Brooke
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Aaaaw....I didn't mean you all were funny. Just the whole story. I would have been right there with you if I could have. 8)

And I hope Glenn knows now what devoted fans he has and appreciates them. Hopefully he listened when he was talking to you! 8)

Perfect Little Sister
02-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Clay Walker is so cute (especially with the longer hair these days! :wink: ) and I like his latest country single "I Saw Mama Before She Was Mama." Check it out. It's funny and cute!

I watched the video for this on yahoo music...it is cute and I just love the sentiment of the song. If you're a mom, especially with teenagers, you appreciate it even more.lol And you get to see Clay's beautiful smile in the video. :D

There's another video called "I can't sleep" that you need to watch all the way to the end. It made me gasp. Now I don't personally find Clay "hot"...tho he's good-looking enough and nice as can be. However. When I saw this video...this was someone other than the guy I've watched golf. lol It's an older one...from 04 I think, and his hair is shorter. I have to admit I like the longer hair. I love curls on guys. :P

sodascouts
02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
In an effort to get this up before GEF goes to Portugal, I did a rush job on the second half! (Hope I made it!)

Soda, PLS, and Dreamer's Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure 2007 Day 3 Part 2: The END!

Success!

When we walked up to the rope with our prize, Glenn was heading down the fairway. He started to come over to us, then paused and said “The next tee box,” pointing down the green. We nodded and obediently moved down to the right position.

After he finished the hole, he came over to the rope as the other guys were finishing up and took a drink from the cup. “Ah, that’s better,” he sighed, then said conversationally, “You know, as soon as you left, I hit three on the 8th – I never do that!” PLS joked, “What you trying to say, that I’m a jinx?” I added deadpan, “I’m sure the two events are unrelated.” He laughingly reassured us, “No, no, that’s not what I meant!” A caddy shushed him, but he just ignored the guy, lol. Then PLS handed him back his $20 bill. He took it without looking at it and shoved it in his pocket, saying, “Oh, my change.” PLS clarified, “No, this is our treat.” When I reiterated “It’s on us,” PLS indicated her wet hand and joked, “It’s LITERALLY on me!” He thanked us with a smile.

Aw, too cute!

Then, a cute little girl came up – she couldn’t have been over nine. She was carrying a notebook and was looking at Glenn hopefully. As soon as he saw her, he tried to get a pick out for her, which proved to be a difficult task now that he had a drink to carry. In order to dig in his pocket for a pick with his left hand, he had his club tucked under his right arm, his ball in his right palm, and the cup sitting on top of the ball in his fingers. As it leaned more and more precariously sideways the longer he searched for a pick, PLS finally offered to hold the drink for him. He thanked her and handed it back, then was finally able to produce a pick for the little girl. She smiled adorably, took the pick, and then asked him to sign her notebook. As he took the notebook and pen to autograph it, he asked her her name. She replied, “Taylor.” He smiled and said in a sweet daddy voice, “My daughter’s name is Taylor, too!” He signed it for her, gave it back, and she went happily back to her parents with her treasure.

When a nearby guy asked him for a pick as well, Glenn said, "Sorry - these are just for kids and old ladies." Since we had gotten one earlier, PLS, Dreamer, and I were like "Um, perhaps he meant they were only for kids and CUTE ladies?!" lol

He took the drink back from PLS, took another sip, and then handed it back to her with a grin. “Maybe you better hang on to this so I don’t get in trouble.” He added that it would just be easier if he kept coming back for sips instead of carrying it himself. I half-joked, “We can take turns holding the cup in order to share the glory!” PLS and Dreamer were embarrassed by that ‘uncool fan’ statement and shot me some dirty looks, but PLS did give it to me and I proudly carried it to the next location.

You want what?!

Going from the 12th to the 13th, Glenn came over for a drink and told me that we needed to give him our addresses so he could send us some “swag” as a thank-you for all we'd gone through to get the drink. I don’t remember how I replied to this, but it was along the lines of “That would be awesome!!” After he took his sip and handed it back, I turned to Dreamer who was next to me and said “Now, it’s your turn” (meaning it was her turn to carry it). Glenn looked confused, like he thought I was offering the drink to her, and said “Yeah, feel free to share it; don’t let me drink it all.” Dreamer laughed, “I don’t think you want to offer that” and I threw in, “Don’t say that, we’ll do it!” At that point Carl the Caddy called for him to come hit because he was holding up the game, and he moved away. We felt a bit embarrassed that we kept getting Glenn in trouble!

I told Dreamer, “Stay near the rope” in case he wanted to come back, then went over to PLS and asked her if she had some paper and a pen, because GLENN FREY wanted our addresses! The only paper PLS had was our copy of the pairing sheets, with Glenn’s times highlighted. It was too late for us to be embarrassed by that kind of thing, though – I think it’s safe to say that by this point, Glenn was well aware that we were there just to see him and for no other reason! After I wrote my address, I put “Yes, Indiana” in little print by “West Lafayette, IN” line. I thought I was being funny. Later I would discover that I should have put the ZIP CODE there instead.

Fairway Fun with Glenn

Then, PLS went to get some water – our drink quest had made her super-thirsty! Dreamer wound up handing the drink back to me to carry when adding her address to the sheet. I tried to keep up with Glenn, and he came over a couple more times to drink, but the crowds were getting thicker. Once again Carl came over. I joked, “Don’t be mad at Glenn – this is our fault!” He looked affronted. “Who said I was mad at Glenn?” I replied hesitantly, “Well, he said he was getting into trouble....” then I added “He didn’t say it was you though!” He walked off and joined Glenn, and I was left to hope he didn’t tell Glenn what I’d said.

However, I think there must have been something to it, because when Glenn came over at the beginning of the 14th, he finally took back the drink and said “I’m going to take this with me now. I got yelled at.” He took the straw out and handed it to PLS. “Let’s take this out so it doesn’t look so much like alcohol.” She stuck it in her pocket.

As he teed off, he stuck the drink in the grass. He hit wide. He picked it up and carried it with him as he stepped under the rope to get to his ball out of bounds. Some guy yelled, “You’re out among the commoners now!” at Glenn as he passed by, and Glenn laughed. As he walked down to the ball’s location, someone yelled “FORE!” (Overton had hit the ball onto another FAIRWAY, the shot was so off!) Glenn simultaneously spun around and tried to duck – not such a smart move on a slope with wet grass. He slipped and almost went down, but caught himself and saved the drink without spilling a drop! He straightened up, laughing heartily at himself. PLS wanted to congratulate him on not spilling the drink no matter what – “Isn’t that some kind of man-law?” – but she wasn’t able to catch his eye.

We walked down to where the ball lay and Glenn moved into position to play. A lady was nearby and a golf marshal told her to get out of Glenn’s way. In her haste to obey, she dropped the ziplock bag she was carrying, which burst open. A bottle of Advil rolled out onto the grass. As I helped her pick it up, Glenn joked, “What kind of pills do you have in there?” The crowd got a kick out of that. Dreamer added, “You got any?” lol

After he hit, he handed me the drink again, apparently deciding he didn’t want to continue carrying it after all. As he did so, I realized I hadn’t yet given him our addresses. I hurriedly handed the sheet to him. “Oh, you want to go ahead and give that to me now?” he asked, taking it. I nodded. He stuffed it in his pocket, and then went over to talk to the Advil lady a bit.

D’oh!!

On the 15th, it was becoming harder to get to the rope because of the crowds. I tried to get up there anyway with the drink. I saw Glenn pull out the address sheet and look it over, then look up at me. He motioned towards me – I thought he wanted another drink. I was coming over carrying the drink, but instead of taking it, he held out the paper to me and said “You forgot your zip code.” (I guess he had determined/recalled at that point that I was Nancy.)

I was mortified. I grimaced. “Of course,” I said wryly. I took the paper back and fished for a pen as the crowd eyed me with curiosity (In fact, a large guy a couple people over literally shoved his way over to me to see what Glenn had given me). Without anything to balance the paper on as I wrote, I did my best to make my zip code legible by tracing it over a few times. Finally, I handed it back, blushing. “From your mentally challenged fan,” I said as he took it back. He threw back his head and laughed, then turned around to go join his team. ‘Finally,’ I thought as he walked away, ‘I made Glenn Frey laugh!’

Moving through the crowd

Leaving the 15th, we decided the next strategic drink point would be to wait for him at the bridge to the 16th, where there were not too many people – just a few autographs hounds who had taken up that position in order to be able to get an autograph from every celebrity who passed that way. Seeing them, Glenn didn’t want to stop because he was in a hurry. The rest of the team was already waiting for him since he’d had to take time to give an interview. As he hustled down the bridge, one of these guys hollered for an autograph and Glenn said “I can’t” without stopping. Then, he overheard someone in the group muttering the word “rude.” Glenn paused and turned around. “Hey, PGA asks us not to sign autographs during play.” The guy who’d asked for the signature quickly said, “Oh, that wasn’t me...” Glenn looked apologetic and smiled. “Sorry, I want to be fan-friendly, but that’s the way it is.” With that he turned again and left for the tee. We thought it was nice of him to be so polite to the rude “fans” to whom he was just one more name on an already fairly full page of signatures.

Delicious!

By the 16th hole, it was apparent that Glenn wouldn’t be able to come back to us again for a sip of his drink. The clearing weather had brought out the autograph hounds like the above people in full force, and coming back to us would have meant having to endure a barrage of people asking him for a signature. We decided it would be a crime to let good alcohol go to waste, and we killed the drink ourselves. We also kept the cup to split amongst ourselves - hey, he told us we could! (I’ll post a photo of the cup for all the fellow fanatics). Would any less be expected of such hardcores?

We moved on to watch the team finish the hole from the top of the hill. We were a good distance away, so I figured Glenn wouldn’t see is. I titled my head, sighed, and gazed at him with unabashed adoration. Then, he looked up, smiled, and waved. I straightened up and hoped my star-struck expression was not visible from that distance! We waved back and thought it was probably a “goodbye” wave, since with all the crowds it was getting harder and harder to see him.

Before the 17th, there was a space in the crowd and Glenn ran to the bathroom. Recalling the ‘Take It Easy’ girls, we didn’t want to follow him! Besides, we figured we’d gotten our “goodbye” already. Glenn continued to play well on the 17th, getting a birdie. Clay was hollering “Glenn! Glenn!” at one point in what appeared to me to be congratulations. There was undoubtedly more camaraderie that day than there had been the day before!

A wet goodbye

It was almost the end, and we moved to the 18th hole. It consisted of a long fairway close to the coast, paralleling the ocean. It was a lovely vista, but the sea breeze made it pretty cold to wait there. Little did we know just how long our wait would be. They were OUTRAGEOUSLY backed up on it. Two teams had to play through before Glenn’s team could go. We waited by that rope about 45 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

Things were about to take a turn for the worse. As we continued to wait, I began to realize that my feet were in excruciating pain! I wanted to plop down on the grass like last year, but it was soppy mud now (I still seriously considered it – my feet hurt that bad). To make matters worse (MUCH worse), a sudden storm rolled in from the sea. By the time those guys got up to tee, we were being thrashed by driving wind and rain. We were absolutely drenched. The wind was so strong it was turning the umbrellas inside out, and it was coming at us sideways, making us have to hold our hoods in place. Even Dreamer put her coat on!

FINALLY, Glenn’s team went. As he hit, we saw that he had put on a beanie-type head wrap over his baseball cap and snapped it under his chin, apparently to keep the hat in place! Going down the fairway, he did a cute “Mary Poppins” thing with his umbrella, holding it up and pretending like the wind was carrying him away.

We started to follow him – PLS and Dreamer moving much more quickly than I did. I was limping along like a 90-year-old, my feet hurt so bad. When I finally hobbled up to the rope, I saw Glenn looking at us, shaking his head and laughing as he did his best to keep the wind and rain off of him with his trembling umbrella. Still, at that point, I imagined he couldn’t have been too surprised at our determined display of devotion, no matter what!

And so it ends.

Despite the weather, Glenn was in great spirits as he finished up under par. He shook everyone’s hands and even gave Stadler a hug. Like Glenn, the weather hadn’t dampened our spirits either.... we had had a weekend to remember forever! I’m even wondering at this point if I should return next year... I can’t imagine anything like this sequence of events ever happening again.

sodascouts
02-16-2007, 03:27 PM
The famous cup, as requested. Ouila!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/GlennCup.jpg

freyfanatic
02-16-2007, 03:47 PM
<GASP>... IT'S THE CUP!!!! :partytime: it looks kinda gross, but the only thing that matters is that Glenn drank from it and his germs are all over it :D

Brooke
02-16-2007, 03:54 PM
WOW! What a write up! I felt like I was right there the whole time!

What a fantastic time you girls had even with the horrible weather most of the time!

Have your feet recovered yet Soda?

timfan
02-16-2007, 04:16 PM
:shock: :shock: Part 2 was even better than Part 1!!!!

and that cup!! that is a piece of history to be treasured forever :P

But seriously ladies, I am soo happy that your time at Pebble Beach was so great :D. THANK YOU for sharing the many interesting, funny (sometimes a little mortifying, i know :wink: ) expierences you had over the FAN-TABULOUS weekend at Pebble Beach! :D :D

Freypower
02-16-2007, 05:45 PM
What a fantastic, wonderful story. Thank you all (and you all deserved it). 8)

glenneaglesfan
02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Wow, that is truly the Holy Grail!!!

Thank you, thank you for posting the rest of your adventure. Now I can't wait to hear abot the swag. In the meantime, I have a lot to think about in Portugal.....

Perfect Little Sister
02-16-2007, 06:09 PM
FP did such a lovely job I thought this deserved another look.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/eaglesaddict05/Wink.jpg

Molly
02-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Nice job, ladies. Congratulations of a successful mission!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/23_34_21.gif

sodascouts
02-16-2007, 08:10 PM
My feet are fine, although I did limp a bit for another day. No pain, no gain!

EasyFeeling
02-17-2007, 06:43 PM
That was so much fun to read, Soda. Thank you! :D

02-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Here's another great cap of FP's from Day 3. He had just about finished drinking a screwdriver when he did this interview. :wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Pebble%20Beach%202007/SecondInterview4.jpg

Of course, that glass does look pretty bad with all the pulp remaining from the freshly squeezed orange juice. I forgot to mention that when I was in the Atlanta airport a week ago waiting for my connecting flight to bring me home, I went in a bar and ordered a screwdriver in honor of our trip. It was the first time I've drank one in probably 20 years. Yes, I know I'm pathetic, but it just felt like the right thing to do. :wink:

I told PLS earlier that I am so confused - there is one side of me that says "I can't wait until next year." and then there is another side that says "Don't even bother to go next year because we will never top this." I still can't believe all this really happened. Wow!

glenneaglesfan
02-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Thank you for a fantastic report of your last day. How I wish I could have been there. Love the screencaps!

PinkCoatGirl
04-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Dang, the things you miss when you go away for awhile!!!!!!!

Hi y'all, been a long time!! :) I finally have my own computer again, lol, after nearly a year...been several months with no internet access at all, to be honest...broke down, drained my bank account, bought a laptop, and return to THIS!!!

This is INCREDIBLE you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! You deserved this SO MUCH...I just...am speechless!!!!!

I could be more coherent, but it's late and I'm tired...all I can say is WOW...WOW WOW WOW!!! Congratulations y'all! Miss ya, and talk to you soon!

~Bree

sodascouts
04-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Hey girl!!! It's been forever!!! Good to see ya around!

glenneaglesfan
04-22-2007, 07:01 AM
Hey, Bree!! Great to hear from you again, we've missed you! Hope you'll have a chance to call back in more often now - you have a lot to catch up with here!

04-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Welcome back PCG - funny what you can miss when you don't have a pc, isn't it. :wink:

And OBTW - all I can still say is WOW...WOW WOW WOW!!! :D

Freypower
04-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey Bree, welcome back. 8)

Maleah
04-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Oooooooo FP.........I like your AV! :D :D :D

Hi Bree!!

groupie2686
02-16-2017, 10:34 AM
I just read this for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed your stories, as well as your other Pebble Beach experiences...what an amazing experience you all had. Glenn clearly went out of his way to make it a special experience for you. (I'm so jealous!) Did you ever get the swag in the mail?

NightMistBlue
02-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Girl, wait til you read the answer to your question - it'll blow yer mind. Soda only told about it last year, out of respect for Glenn. He certainly was extraordinarily kind to his fans.

Having said that, does anyone remember where Soda's post is - is it in the Remembering Glenn Frey thread?

Dawn
02-16-2017, 04:34 PM
No question Glenn loved golf and Pebble Beach ... Here's a short but sweet tribute video to Glenn and the Back Nine

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GU5Bulm8aCs

UndertheWire
02-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Girl, wait til you read the answer to your question - it'll blow yer mind. Soda only told about it last year, out of respect for Glenn. He certainly was extraordinarily kind to his fans.

Having said that, does anyone remember where Soda's post is - is it in the Remembering Glenn Frey thread?
Yes, starting page 30.

groupie2686
02-16-2017, 05:15 PM

Oh, I can't wait now! Where is her original post? I'd love to read it!

NightMistBlue
02-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Just like our friend UtW kindly directed, page 30 of the Remembering thread.

I've never tried to link a thread - hope this works: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6077&page=30

groupie2686
02-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Oh my god, I just read it. I am beyond jealous of you ladies. What an unbelievable experience. I am just speechless here.

East Texas Girl
02-17-2017, 01:28 PM
I have read the majority of the Pebble Beach thread but did not know about the "delivering of the swag"... How cool is that!!! That is just a great experience for you three ladies. I felt like I was right there with you when you where describing the whole evening. What a great memory to have.

I have to totally agree with the quote from NMB about Glenn "He certainly was extraordinarily kind to his fans".

Thanks so much for posting the link NMB, I have not seen it before.

NightMistBlue
02-17-2017, 01:43 PM
I think that's like the best fan experience that I've heard of, especially from someone at the superstar/legend level. It really speaks well of Glenn that he cared so much.

East Texas Girl
02-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Oh, absolutely!! I had started reading it yesterday afternoon and wasn't able to finish it but I was telling my hubs about it last night and he was like wow, Glenn really wanted to give back to his fans. That is just the greatest!

Knowing me, I probably would not have been able to talk to him, I would just sit and stare and then by the time I would have worked up the nerve to say something it would be time to go. Lol

02-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Thanks to all of you for your comments. It still amazes me how wonderful Glenn treated us and I will always be grateful for the times we spent with him. As far as not being able to say a word to him, I thought I may be the same way, but he was so approachable and friendly and was masterful at putting you at ease. As I mentioned in my post in the 'Remembering Glenn Frey' thread, I really was nervous about our 'swag' meeting though. I almost completely froze as soon as we got to the hotel suite. However, once we were inside, the convo just casually flowed non-stop and I was completely comfortable.

NightMistBlue
02-20-2017, 10:27 AM
I really was nervous about our 'swag' meeting though. I almost completely froze as soon as we got to the hotel suite.

I don't blame you a bit. I felt a little nervous just reading about it. If I was there in person, I may have been hyperventilating into my purse.

But I'm so glad you were able to settle in and have a wonderful experience to remember.

groupie2686
02-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Thanks to all of you for your comments. It still amazes me how wonderful Glenn treated us and I will always be grateful for the times we spent with him. As far as not being able to say a word to him, I thought I may be the same way, but he was so approachable and friendly and was masterful at putting you at ease. As I mentioned in my post in the 'Remembering Glenn Frey' thread, I really was nervous about our 'swag' meeting though. I almost completely froze as soon as we got to the hotel suite. However, once we were inside, the convo just casually flowed non-stop and I was completely comfortable.

I give you ladies a lot of credit for being able to carry on a conversation with him. I would have been like Kim McAfee in Bye Bye Birdie, lol. What a wonderful memory he created for you.

East Texas Girl
02-20-2017, 02:34 PM
That's really cool and soo sweet of Glenn to do, Dreamer! Totally jealous here... I am so glad you both shared your experience with us, it shows another side of Glenn that not many people ever see, all most see is "Glenn the performer" and not "Glenn the man".