PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix, AZ 4-21-10

Ive always been a dreamer
04-22-2010, 01:24 PM
While we're waiting to hear from Shirley about last night's show, I decided to do some searching to get some info. The main things I am interested in finding out is if the guys sang 7BR and if they were sporting suits at their first indoor show for this leg of the tour. This doesn't tell us about 7BR, but check it out for the answer about the suits ...

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2010/04/the_eagles_at_us_airways_cente.php

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/assets_c/2010/04/TheEagles-live-shots-review-thumb-550x367.jpg (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/TheEagles-live-shots-review.jpg)

Brooke
04-22-2010, 01:54 PM
See Glenn? Everybody wants to hear your songs, too!

Wildthyme
04-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Sure looks like they are losing the suits and keeping 7BR for this leg of the tour.... it really does seem like they heard our pleas and granted us (at least most of) what we wished for! :yay:

AzEaglesFan
04-22-2010, 02:13 PM
The concert was AWESOME. No suits as you see in the photo. That photo must have been taken the first part of the show.
Timothy wore the same clothes but started out in a pair of mustard colored shoes, changed to black cowboy boots for the second half. Glenn had on his bright pink shirt and looked handsome as ever. Don wore the black/white UPS but changed to a brown western shirt for the second half. Joe had on black, Levis, shirt and jacket but took the jacket off after the break. His pull over was black and silver.
They didn't get started until 8:30 but sang until 11:30 and then walked around the stage for another few minutes. Don looked around and saw everyone else had left so he ran off the stage. He seemed to be in a real good mood and was the one that announced that they would do one more song and then take a break and come back and sing for a long time, that brought a big cheer from the people. I always thought that Glenn did that part.
The set list was the same as the Hollywood Bowl except no, No More Cloudy Days. I didn't notice it until I Can't Tell You Why but then I realized that the audience was singing along with Timothy. Beautiful. Also I have read other people tell about how you can't appreciate Long Road Out of Eden until you hear it live. SO TRUE.
One of the funniest things of course involved Joe. You know how he runs over during Long Run and sings with Glenn and Timothy. So he runs over there and makes a motion with his hands like he is going to "goose" Glenn and Timothy. When he turned and ran back to his side of the stage,Glenn ran after him and when he got right behind Joe, Joe jumped about a foot in the air, I couldn't really see what Glenn did.
I have PEW big time today. Will try to write more as I think of stuff.

04-22-2010, 02:27 PM
So AZ - I take it that it's a :thumbsup: that they opened with 7BR ???

TimothyBFan
04-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Sounds like they were in great form last night and everyone was having a great time up on stage. Joe getting goosed :hilarious:. Don sticking around after everyone else left the stage! I contribute it to NO SUITS!!!! :thumbsup: They're more comfortable! JMO tho!

What did you guys think of this in the review?
"The screen had an adverse effect on one of the evenings best songs, the Henley solo hit "Boys of Summer."

Fewer songs illustrate the death of the sixties in such stark terms, but the sexually charged themes and elegiac lyric about a "Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac," were utterly at odds with images of boys tossing footballs, dogs scurrying about and surfers rocking waves. Maybe Henley "doesn't look back" at the screen behind him."

Isn't it still the BOS video they play in the background? Rest of the review was pretty cool tho.

Sorry about the PEW AZ! But it's always worth it tho isn't it?

luvthelighthouse
04-22-2010, 03:11 PM
They did open w/7BR... I saw it on a tweet last night... thought I posted it in this thread... gotta wonder where I posted it now... :headscratch:

ETA: Duh, I should have read the review closer! I see that has been taken care of.

Also, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the casual look. I wasn't planning on seeing the summer concert at the stadium... but now I may have to. :nahnah:

luvthelighthouse
04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Thank you, youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgUCAuvUWKs

sodascouts
04-22-2010, 04:21 PM
SBR and casual clothes! I rejoice muchly at this news! ;)

But I'm bummed about NMCD. Another Glenn song gone! ME NO LIKEY. Let's hope it comes back for later shows.

Thanks for the the review AEF, and thanks for finding the published one, Dreamer. LTL - thanks for the tweet (wherever it may be) and the video find!

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to see these guys in San Jose!

P.S. Wille, if I recall correctly, they don't show the BOS video behind Don but they do show scenes reminiscent of it. I chuckled at that reviewer's comment, though!

Prettymaid
04-22-2010, 05:07 PM
First of all, AZ I'm so glad you loved the show! And thanks for your review.

Dreamer, thank you for the review with pics. It was awesome. I noticed this part:

the ladies to the side were dancing and shouting about how hot Henley looks.

I didn't know Jess and Lou were going to this show. :wink:

No suits???!!!??? That's great!!!

I know one Borderer in particular who is going to love that Glenn was wearing his fushia shirt.

And I know one Borderer in particular who is going to be very upset at the dropping of NMCD.

Why do you think Glenn keeps dropping his lead songs? :-(

AzEaglesFan
04-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Glenn's voice had a real raspy sound to it and he didn't talk as much and I have heard. He did tell the credit card joke and check your tickets this is the Senior Tour. When he was singing sometimes he looked like he was having trouble and the other guys seemed to over power him on some songs. But I never realized that Glenn was such a good guitar player.

Freypower
04-22-2010, 06:47 PM
And I know one Borderer in particular who is going to be very upset at the dropping of NMCD.

Why do you think Glenn keeps dropping his lead songs? :-(

1. I don't know if you were thinking of me, but...
2. I don't know.

Surely NMCD will be returned. I don't know how to say this politely but it is getting beyond a joke.

I think if songs are going to be dropped, there could at least be a 'rotation' policy. I could name songs by the other three that could be dropped, but I won't.

Prettymaid
04-22-2010, 07:04 PM
1. I don't know if you were thinking of me, but...
2. I don't know.

Surely NMCD will be returned. I don't know how to say this politely but it is getting beyond a joke.

I think if songs are going to be dropped, there could at least be a 'rotation' policy. I could name songs by the other three that could be dropped, but I won't.

Yes, I was thinking of you FP.

AZ, are you thinking that they dropped NMCD because Glenn's voice was struggling?

AzEaglesFan
04-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I wondered if that might be the reason but not much telling. Then again they may have done NMCD and I was in a trance and don't remember it. It did seem like Glenn sang a lot. The friend that was with me will be 40 years old in August and has gone to a lot more concerts than I have. She told me that she has never been to a concert where that crowd was so well behaved. When they were doing Long Road Out of Eden the crowd cheered and applauded in the right places, like after Joe's guitar solo, but for the last few lines of the song the place was so quiet that it was hard to believe there were 8000 people there. The chairs on the floor I don't think were used after the break, everyone down there stood up. No body sat down after Life in the Fast Lane.

DanO
04-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi all. This is my first post - I've lurked here for some time though and I've been an Eagles fan for many years. I first saw them live on the "Hotel California" tour.

I am taking my wife and daughters to the Vegas show on Saturday and I'm just wondering if someone could clarify if they played "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" during the encores in Phoenix? I read one post that didn't mention it among the encores, but another post said the only missing song was "No More Cloudy Days". Just want to know because my daughter's favorite Eagles-related song is "All She Wants To..." and I'm hoping they do play it on Saturday.

Thanks guys.

Wildthyme
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I am so bummed about NMCD. That's one of the songs I have most been looking forward to hearing at the upcoming concerts I am attending. :cry:

sodascouts
04-22-2010, 11:24 PM
DanO - welcome! Hopefully that song didn't get dropped. AEF will probably fill us in when she gets a chance.

WT - maybe it's temporary. Don't despair!

04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
First of all, welcome DanO. Glad you decided to join us. Hope you and your family have a great time at the Vegas show and that you'll come back and tell us about it. I didn't have time to post this review earlier, but I got it in the same Google Alert as the first review that I posted. I was so concerned about whether they sang 7BR and it was actually in both reviews. :doh: Oh well, so much Eagles info, so little time. Anyway, the set list is at the bottom. If this is correct, they didn't do ASWTDID.

And one other thing for everyone, if you go to the link, there are some pictures of the Phoenix show (click on the Eagles Concert Pics link on the left).

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2010/04/22/20100422eagles-concert-review-phoenix.html

Set list:
"Seven Bridges Road"
"How Long"
"Busy Being Fabulous"
"I Don't Want to Hear Anymore"
"Guilty of the Crime"
"Hotel California"
"Peaceful Easy Feeling"
"I Can't Tell You Why"
"Witchy Woman"
"Lyin' Eyes"
"The Boys of Summer"
"In The City"
"The Long Run"
Intermission
"No More Walks in the Wood"
"Waiting In the Weeds"
"Love Will Keep Us Alive"
"Take It to the Limit"
"Long Road Out of Eden"
"Walk Away"
"One of These Nights"
"Life's Been Good"
"Dirty Laundry"
"Funk #49"
"Heartache Tonight"
"Life in the Fast Lane"
Encore:
"Take It Easy"
"Rocky Mountain Way"
"Desperado

AzEaglesFan
04-23-2010, 03:17 AM
No they didn't do All She Wants To Do Is Dance and I was looking forward to watching Glenn do his dance number. When the band was introduced, they all got a very good response but Don's was one of the longest. They had his picture on the big screens and after a bit you could read his lips and he said "Ok, stop now." But he did seem to enjoy it.

Troubadour
04-23-2010, 03:35 AM
Okay, we are about to head to bed because I have been up for almost 28 hours straight, but we had to check in and get the scoop on the latest concert. OH MY GOODNESS!!! We are dying over here. Don looks so freaking HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thud:

We're praying they keep the casual clothes (and SBR!) for the San Jose shows!

PS: All Jess has to say is... Oh my God, they're in jeans!

Prettymaid
04-23-2010, 07:28 AM
The Eagles, like fellow classic rocker Paul McCartney, continue to be an act that is as dependable as the sunrise when it comes to playing first-class concerts.
---------------------------------------------------------

You know I would appreciate this part.

What's everybody think about Joe dropping the helmut/hat cam during LBG? I think it had run it's course. I'm glad to see them do something for awhile and then quit. That way they don't get into a rut.

Again, I'm bummed that Glenn seems to be dropping his songs!

Can we hope?...do we even begin to cherish the thought of...NO SUITS!!!

jdubfan
04-23-2010, 11:42 AM
I was at the last show of the tour for 2009 @ Cleveland, and Glenn's voice was pretty toasted, not hitting the high range very consistantly. So I'm wondering if he's being very conservative so he can last the tour a little better. Bet it's really frustrating for him. I know it is for fans. :brickwall:

luvthelighthouse
04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
For the past year, people have been consistantly talking about how Glenn isn't up to par. I'm sorry, I know I'm tone deaf, buy he sounds excellent to me. Granted, I was not at the AZ show... but I'm gonna wonder if he had a cold or something... seeing as how they dropped NMCD. Remember when TBS had his accident, they had to cut one of three songs.

However, if in a month I keep hearing how Glenn is off... I'm going to have to say his voice is finally giving after all these years. Damn shame if that is to be the case, which I will hope and pray it isn't. Again, I will add... even if it is going... I'm too tone deaf to notice, because I think Glen sounds great, even in those amature youtube vids.

Glennsallnighter
04-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Lou texted me this morning just before I started work and told me I HAD to check out those pics...... I couldn't WAIT to get online!!!

AllI can say is YUMMY!!!!! Glenn :heart: looked lovely in that gorgeous fuschia shirt....... Mmmmmmmmmm. I see he has his wrist bandaged as well though. Hope its ok and not being overworked :wink:
And the others looked pretty hot :smokin: as well.

I sincerely hope that Glenn :heart: has not dropped both NMCD and Somebody permanently. I have had the priviledge of seeing both performed live and they are superb songs. While I would love to see SBR though there are others that could be dropped.

Still it seems that they are lookin' and soundin' good. So Jess, Lou and the rest of the Border party are in for a treat!

04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
You know, I have REALLY mixed feelings about this. I, as much as anyone, would love to see the band go on as long as it possibly can. I have always been secretly hoping that they would continue performing until their 40th anniversary year at least, even if that means scaling back the number of shows they perform. While I know some of you may disagree with me, I have never believed that this is just about money for the band.

However, I hate to see an Eagles concert turn into a sham. Even though Glenn has continuously scaled down his role in the live shows since the resumption, I was always content with him performing the customary 9 - 10 songs per show, which represented about 1/3 of the set list. But if the current trend holds, with Glenn singing only 6 lead vocals (and I am generously including How Long in this number), then it seems to me that it's not worth the current price of the tickets. I want to see an Eagles show, which to me means a fairly equal dose of Henley and Frey. Now, I know the average casual fan out there probably isn't counting how many songs each guy sings, but, again, they do want to hear mostly the Eagles songs that they love. I mean c'mon, it just seems wrong to me to go to an Eagles show and not hear Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone, or New Kid in Town (or at least one or two of them). I know they can’t play all the hits, but they need a better distribution than what they currently have. I’ve also always defended the decision to include solo songs in Eagles shows, but Glenn should include at least one of his solo songs. I’m not sure what the reasons are for this. I know both Don and Glenn have struggled with their voices at times in recent years, and that is something that they have to deal with. But, when your co-lead singer is only singing about 1/5 of the set list, then that becomes a problem for fans who are paying big bucks to see the Eagles, IMHO. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think I would rather that they scale back the number of shows that they do, rather than seeing this continue.

TimothyBFan
04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
First I need to say---I LOVE JOE'S HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok--I tend to agree with Dreamer, especially about including the solo works but there has ALWAYS been one member that has NEVER sang a solo song of his in the shows and right now would be the perfect opportunity and it ticks me off that they won't at least try it for goodness sake. We've all agreed that there are a couple songs on Expando that the Eagles could do justice to. If it is Timothy's decision, then I will respect that. On that note, does anyone recall them ever saying just how they decide on the setlists?

AzEaglesFan
04-23-2010, 08:37 PM
I was surprised to see that Expando was for sale at the concert with all the Eagles "stuff". None of the other Eagles had any of their solo CDs there for sale. But then Timothys CD is the newest one out.:nod:

Freypower
04-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Dreamer, thank you for your post. I completely agree with your sentiments (and yours, LTL).

In 2004 I was one of the very first people to see NMCD performed - but if I hadn't gone to Melbourne I would not have seen it at all.

Now since 2007 I was itching to hear it again, as well as Somebody and How Long. The way it is going I will be lucky if I get to hear How Long. Now perhaps people may understand better the problem I have with paying $500 plus for this with the only justification for it being my eagerness to hear LROOE, WITW and NMWITW. And let's not even talk about the lack of inclusion of any other Glenn leads from the album.

Dreamer says 'they need a better distribution than they have'. The current distrubution totally disadvantages Glenn's fans, as if we aren't important.

I would much rather see a song from Expando than LWKUA, a song which I have never liked.

I cannot understand the persisitence with Dirty Laundry, Walk Away & the return of ASWTDID at the expense of the far superior New Kid In Town & Tequila Sunrise.

I would prefer to see Already Gone back where it should be before the interval. I am not a fan of The Long Run. I suppose I have to apologise to Don's fans for that because I know they like to see him down the front, but I think he should play drums on Eagles songs (it's funny that he plays drums on LBG & RMW instead).

The worst thing about this is that it is Glenn who writes the setlists and it is Glenn who does this to his fans.

ETA: 6 SONGS - the same number as Joe. I am sorry, but that is pathetic.

Also he proved at the House of Blues show that he is actually capable of playing songs he has never played before (and even SINGING them) but when he goes back to the Eagles he just.... he retreats.

04-23-2010, 09:59 PM
AZ - thanks for that and I'm so glad that you enjoyed your first Eagles concert. I can actually still remember how excited I felt about my first show.

On that note, does anyone recall them ever saying just how they decide on the setlists?

And TBF - I can tell you that I would personally trade Parachute or Every Song Is You for I Don't Want To Hear Any More in the Eagles' set list any day!

And about the Eagles' set list - I would think they all have some input into it, but supposedly Glenn has the final say on what is played.

sodascouts
04-24-2010, 02:23 AM
Count me among those who are VERY disappointed at Glenn's diminishing leads. I know NKIT is probably hard to sing, but Tequila Sunrise? He sounded GREAT on the video of that from Celebrity Fight Night, and that was just weeks ago.

If dropping his leads is due to vocal problems, all we can hope for is that he recovers quickly.

Glennhoney
04-24-2010, 10:09 AM
..I find it hard to believe that Glenn has "vocal" problems...while it seems to be in great shape at his "solo" shows....ie--fight night.....I sometimes wonder if he's just trying to please everybody when he makes up the setlist.......maybe he has to "bite his tongue" ;-) at times too........

Prettymaid
04-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Remember when thinking about replacement songs, concerts have to have a certain amount of slower numbers and a certain amount of rockers, too. A good rock concert always swells and rocks out at the end. I'm sure this is what they consider when making the set list. I'm just saying...you wouldn't want to replace Walk Away with Tequila Sunrise. You have to replace a rocker with another rocker.

Glennhoney
04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I totally agree Prettymaid...but "Already Gone" and "Somebody" are good rocking songs...I agree that it could be difficult to place "Tequila Sunrise" somewhere in the show....it could only be done during the "sit down" part of the show, and they already have quite a few songs to be done at that time...

Prettymaid
04-24-2010, 11:51 AM
I totally agree Prettymaid...but "Already Gone" and "Somebody" are good rocking songs...

Oh I agree. I'm in the 'Glenn is Dropping Too Many Songs' camp! :ack: I'm a Joe fan but would totally be fine without LBG and RMW. but please don't take away my Walk Away and In The City! :pray:

sodascouts
04-24-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm down with Already Gone coming back instead of Tequila Sunrise - I was just using that as an example of a song he can obviously sing well (see Fight Night) but has chosen to drop. That leads me to believe it's not all about vocal issues.

Glennhoney
04-24-2010, 04:15 PM
..totally agree Soda......

TimothyBFan
04-24-2010, 05:25 PM
As a Timothy fan, I guess I'm just used to not getting that many songs. I do have my favorites by the other guys I want to hear live and 2 that spring to mind are Glenn songs, You Belong To The City and Smuggler's Blues but doesn't sound like that will happen again unless it's a solo show.

I have a solution to make us all happy.....They need to play for 8 hours instead of only around 3!!! (Glenn says they can't keep playing 3 hour shows he didn't say anything about whether he preferred shorter or longer!)

TimothyBFan
04-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Bet Tim could sing for 3 hours:thumbsup:so why not let him do ALL the songs? That sounds fair to me:angel:.

http://bestsmileys.com/signs7/5.gif

Freypower
04-24-2010, 06:36 PM
..I find it hard to believe that Glenn has "vocal" problems...while it seems to be in great shape at his "solo" shows....ie--fight night.....I sometimes wonder if he's just trying to please everybody when he makes up the setlist.......maybe he has to "bite his tongue" ;-) at times too........

If this is the case, he's trying too hard.

I think I made my point yesterday and I don't wish to labour it, but here is a comparison of Glenn and Don leads which have been dropped since the reunion. The difference is when Don has a lead dropped it is invariably replaced with another song. With Glenn, once it's gone that is it.

Glenn:

The Girl From Yesterday/Smuggler's Blues/New Kid In Town/Tequila Sunrise/Already Gone/You Belong To The City/Somebody/No More Cloudy Days (although I really, really hope this is temporary)

Replaced with How Long

Don:

Victim Of Love/Get Over It/Wasted Time/Hole In The World/Sunset Grill

Replaced with Witchy Woman/Busy Being Fabulous/Long Road Out Of Eden /Waiting In The Weeds

And both Tim and Joe have extra songs in I Don't Want To Hear Any More & Guilty Of The Crime respectively.

Speaks for itself really.

To even this out you could class No More Walks In The Wood and the apparent return of Seven Bridges Road as 'ensemble' performances.

Freypower
04-24-2010, 06:54 PM
And see my edit. He also dropped You Belong To The City.

AZ, I am aware that Glenn does a lot of backing vocals and that he sings on LBG & RMW whereas Don doesn't. That isn't the point.

TimothyBFan
04-24-2010, 07:11 PM
How do I say this without sounding bitter and not p*ss Glenn fans off? Hmmm.

What are you b*tching about? Geesh!!! :hilarious:

Seriously, I do understand that they are cutting some of his songs and that Don and Joe have a lot more etc.... BUT at least he has sang them in the past, several of us here have seem him sing them live. I'm very very very happy about that. But a Timothy fan has a lot more to complain about---1) never has had a chance to sing a solo song with Eagles backing him, 2) up until LROOE had exactly 2 songs to be lead on. To top it off, when they were getting ready to pick songs for LROOE, when he brought songs to the other guys, they were vetoed!! Just who do you think did that? It wasn't Timothy himself I'm sure!

I would also like to add, when they picked the new song off the cd to add to the set list for Timothy, I do wish they would of picked Do Something instead of IDWTHA.

ducking and running now!

sodascouts
04-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Look, I love Tim, but this is an Eagles show. In the context of the Eagles, Glenn is the founder and he has contributed fundamentally to the Eagles from the beginning in every way - crafting their sound, co-writing the majority of their catalog, singing lead on a great many numbers including some of their biggest hits. The Eagles setlist should reflect that. Tim has four Eagles songs, of which he sings three. That seems very fair if looked at in the context of his contributions to the band.

AzEaglesFan
04-25-2010, 01:51 AM
In Phoenix they were on stage for 3 hours. Joe doesn't have the helmet cam anymore so that cut down the time for Life's Been Good. They have dropped Somebody and No More Cloudy Days, So what songs have they added to the show to make it still 3 hours long?

Wildthyme
04-25-2010, 03:00 AM
Seven Bridges Road is one song that they have added...

Koala
04-25-2010, 05:09 AM
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2010/04/the_eagles_at_us_airways_cente.php

DanO
04-25-2010, 05:32 AM
Just got in from the Vegas show. Excellent! Glenn sounded just fine to us. No suits. They returned "No More Cloudy Days" to the set, but no "All She Wants To Do Is Dance". It was basically one 3 song encore: "Take It Easy", "Rocky Mountain Way" and "Desperado".

cynd1231
04-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the note DanO...and sorry your girls didn't get to hear their favorite done live. We'll be interested to hear more.

TimothyBFan
04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Look, I love Tim, but this is an Eagles show. In the context of the Eagles, Glenn is the founder and he has contributed fundamentally to the Eagles from the beginning in every way - crafting their sound, co-writing the majority of their catalog, singing lead on a great many numbers including some of their biggest hits. The Eagles setlist should reflect that. Tim has four Eagles songs, of which he sings three. That seems very fair if looked at in the context of his contributions to the band.

Believe me---I get that and I don't want to see ANY songs taken away --PERIOD. I guess my point is that if Timothy got to sing as much as any of the others, I wouldn't have a thing to complain about but I guess if he did and then they were starting to not be sung, I would also.

Sticking with the whole "founding member" discussion, then how do we explain Joe's solo works so aplenty in the setlist? The only thing I imagine is because he really does get the crowd excited. Understandable.

04-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info DanO. Glad you enjoyed the show and that Glenn seemed to be in good form; especially glad that No More Cloudy Days returned and hope your daughter wasn’t too bombed about ASWTDID.

04-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I totally agree with your last post, Soda. And I don’t think it’s all about the vocals either. As I mentioned before, Don struggles with his voice at times as well. And Willie, as you know, most of us love Tim so I mean no disrespect when I say this, but you ain’t seen no b*tching from Glenn fans like you will if he starts cutting his songs to make room for Tim’s solo work. I mean c’mon, Glenn no longer even includes any of his own solo songs, and his solo career was pretty darn successful. I want the set list in an Eagles show to be reflective of each band member’s proportionate contribution to the band. I don’t think many of us would argue that the Eagles legacy is built primarily on the work of Don and Glenn. And I agree with what you said about Joe’s solo work. Joe’s main contribution to the Eagles is to bring energy and excitement to their live shows. He does that brilliantly, but his solo work is necessary to make that happen. And, yes, the crowd’s LOVE it!!!

Prettymaid
04-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Sticking with the whole "founding member" discussion, then how do we explain Joe's solo works so aplenty in the setlist? The only thing I imagine is because he really does get the crowd excited. Understandable.

Uh oh, I was afraid this would come up. Honestly, if Glenn wanted to he could rock out on some Eagles and solo stuff that would get the crowd energized, but they leave it mostly to Joe and some to Don. Being a Joe fan you'll get no complaints from me, but it could be done - they just choose to go this way for reasons unbeknown to us.

AzEaglesFan
04-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Don said on the 60 Minutes show that the Eagles is Glenn's band, so I have a feeling that the song list is approved by him. If he feels he needs to rest his voice then he takes his songs out but then puts them back in when he feels that he won't hurt his voice to sing more of them. How did Glenn sound at the Hollywood Bowl?

Freypower
04-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Just got in from the Vegas show. Excellent! Glenn sounded just fine to us. No suits. They returned "No More Cloudy Days" to the set, but no "All She Wants To Do Is Dance". It was basically one 3 song encore: "Take It Easy", "Rocky Mountain Way" and "Desperado".

Thank God.

But I have another complaint. Why is Take It Easy now only the THIRD LAST SONG??? I love RMW but come on.

I remain utterly baffled by the removal of Somebody.

Also I thought of other songs that Glenn has sung since the reunion, albeit briefly, that didn't last long. They were The Heat Is On and James Dean.

I feel I should also point out that Joe once had Turn To Stone and the embarrasingly shortlived One Day At A Time (which I actually SAW).

TimothyBFan
04-26-2010, 07:16 AM
I want the set list in an Eagles show to be reflective of each band member’s proportionate contribution to the band. I don’t think many of us would argue that the Eagles legacy is built primarily on the work of Don and Glenn. And I agree with what you said about Joe’s solo work. Joe’s main contribution to the Eagles is to bring energy and excitement to their live shows. He does that brilliantly, but his solo work is necessary to make that happen. And, yes, the crowd’s LOVE it!!!

I see your point, I really do! And I don't argue the fact that Don & Glenn are THE EAGLES! Can I ask, anyone who wants to answer, how do you break down their contributions? I just bet anyone who is brave :hilarious: enough to answer will put Timothy's contributions last and show it as very little. But why is it that way, is it Timothy's doings or has he been told to just stand there, play the bass and look pretty. Like I stated before, we've all heard his take on when he presented some songs to the others.

I knew I would ruffle some feathers here when I posted what I have. And trust me, I mean no disrespect to ANY of the Eagles or their fans. I basically was only joking about the whole "b*tching" thing and figured I'd get some "feedback". I basically am just saying I'm used to it and it doesn't do any good to complain. I also don't want to see ANY of the songs cut and I agree that the ones being cut don't make much sense. But I tend to agree with AZ, Glenn must be approving this but why?

Being a Timothy fan, I'm really use to him getting little respect (not from us here) but from reviewers and such. When you read reviews that say things like, "Eagles Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and the other guy" you learn not expect much in accolades, etc. I'm ok with that. I know how talented he is and other artist must also or he wouldn't be on so many other people's tracks. And apparently the UK is embracing him also, thankfully.

One more thing. If we are having this kind of discussion right now with these changes in the setlist, I can only imagine what it will be like when they cut it even further for the summer shows or when, as Glenn claims, they can't play 3 hour shows any longer.

Prettymaid
04-26-2010, 07:47 AM
I just bet anyone who is brave :hilarious: enough to answer will put Timothy's contributions last and show it as very little. But why is it that way, is it Timothy's doings or has he been told to just stand there, play the bass and look pretty. Like I stated before, we've all heard his take on when he presented some songs to the others.

I can only imagine that Joe's James Gang and solo success puts his music contributions above Timothy's. As Dreamer said, he's also 'used' for his silliness and to get the crowd going. But see, now Timothy has some songs that could easily be included. But they have not had much commercial success yet. Believe me, if Timothy's Expando had gone straight up to number one the band would be using some of that stuff. It's just that Expando is still too new. It hasn't rode the test of time like the others' have. Hopefully somebody is peeking in here to get an idea of what the fans want and they will see that we want Glenn to stop dropping his lead songs and we want Timothy to do Parachute! (Or something else - that's just me...)

04-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Can I ask, anyone who wants to answer, how do you break down their contributions? I just bet anyone who is brave :hilarious: enough to answer will put Timothy's contributions last and show it as very little. But why is it that way, is it Timothy's doings or has he been told to just stand there, play the bass and look pretty. Like I stated before, we've all heard his take on when he presented some songs to the others.

The way I would rate each of the band members contributions is a lot of what Soda said - who crafted their sound, how many songs in their catalog did the member write or co-write, how many songs do they sing lead or co-lead on, how many of their songs became hits. There is other stuff as well, but these things work for this discussion. I would rate Glenn's and Don's contributions to the band as being equal. As I said before, Joe's main contribution is what he adds to the live performances. And yes, with no disrepect intended, I would have to put Timothy's contributions last. However, I believe that Tim is basically very content with his role in the band. I think he understood from the time he joined that he was not ever going to be the star in this band, nor do I think he ever wanted to be.

I have said often times before how it irritates me for anyone to undermine the importance of any of the band members in the success of this band. It particularly gauls me when I see a picture of the "Eagles" - Don, Glenn, and Joe (no Timothy) or when the "Eagles" are described as Don Henley and some other guys as if they are his backup band. I've made this analogy before, but to me, it's like baking a cake - all the ingredients are important. Even is sugar isn't the main ingredient, the cake sure ain't gonna taste as good if you leave it out. :wink:

TimothyBFan
04-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I really think we pretty much agree, believe it or not. I know who is the main ingredients in this cake. And I can't imagine an Eagles band without all 4 ingredients that we now have.

The only thing I disagree with is that Timothy is "content" with the way it is. I of course don't know that for sure but just in some of the interviews I've read and seen, he sometimes comes across as a little not content. I think he's thankful for the chance to be an Eagle, I think he's grateful he was asked to join and rejoin the band BUT I also think he would be even happier to have a bit of say so in the goings on-and that may go for Joe also. The whole suits thing for example...he said that's what Glenn & Don wanted so that's why they wear them. The song thing again--wouldn't it have been nice when he brought his songs to the table for the new album that just ONE of them might of made it into the cut? I get the impression that they might not of even gotten consideration. And I get the impression from hearing Timothy talk about it that it wasn't something he was happy about but is to polite to go into much detail about it. But that could just be me assuming the worst.

I'm sure you are all thinking--geesh, of course you're "sticking up" for Timothy but get over it! But I'm seriously not saying that Timothy should be singing lead on 1/2 of the setlist or even a quarter of it. But maybe one more or so would be nice, especially since he is trying to promote a new cd. To be honest I'm surprised they are even selling it at the shows.

And, before anyone points it out.... like I've said before, I would LOVE to hear some of Glenn's solo stuff also. But I also think, like we've said before, it's Glenn's final decision (for his & Timothy's songs) and for some reason he's stepped back from his solo songs and now some of his lead Eagles songs. I still want to know why and I'm not buying into the whole "his voice ain't what it used to be".

Brooke
04-26-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't get it either (Glenn's thought process cutting his own songs). And if so many songs are being cut, how are the shows still lasting 3 hours?

As far as Timothy, and Joe, it seems to me that they readily accept being what they are to the band. I'm sure they probably know if they don't like it or want to argue about it they could end up like Felder.....fired! So they meekly accept their role and don't make waves. Heaven knows they could go it alone and be successful, but they evidently don't want to. They know where the big money is. And it's a lot less work than fronting your own band. :shrug:

sodascouts
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't get it either (Glenn's thought process cutting his own songs). And if so many songs are being cut, how are the shows still lasting 3 hours?

I think when they say the shows last 3 hrs, they're rounding up.

I think Tim would prefer they use a song like Parachute instead of a cover like I Don't Want to Hear Any More on an Eagles album, but he's "content" in the sense that he finds the trade-off of less creative input for MUCHO DINERO acceptable.

TimothyBFan
04-26-2010, 01:56 PM
So are you saying it's all about the money? :shock: http://bestsmileys.com/crying/2.gif :hilarious:

04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's all about money, but that, obviously, plays a significant role. It goes back to the advice that Tim gave Felder in their last phone call after Felder's firing - "why couldn't you just sign the papers like everyone else ..." I don't think Joe or Tim agree with every decision that is made on the band's behalf, but they both accept that it is not their role in the end.

Let's face it - if it wasn't for the money that Tim made from his Eagles gig, he would likely not have had the money it took to finance the Expando project or subsequent tours. I highly doubt that this has been a money-making venture for him, but it was a wonderful creative outlet. His "Eagles" $$$ afforded him an opportunity to make this album on his own terms that he may not have otherwise had. I'm betting there are plenty of struggling musicians out there that would die for the same chance.

jdubfan
04-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Here's my uninformed .02. As a long time Eagles fan and Joe fanatic, Joe's story is what i know a little more about. In the past he's called the Eagles a 2 dictator democracy and I've always figured that's a pretty good definition of how the group is run. Some of the members are more equal than others, rightly so. But you'd have to have a certain mindset (check ego@door) to be one of the lesser powered. Joe got a lot of crap from fans and some in the industry when he joined: he's a sellout, he's no longer doing it for the art but for the money, his creativity/talent/potential won't be used. I'm guessing Tim's peeps said some of the same things. Musicians are like eveyone, you make yer choices and live with the results, they must have their reasons. Joe said he was tired of being the group leader and all those decisions, he just wanted to play music.
My only beef with the way the band has been run is that I think the big egos and the my-way-or-the-highway thinking has severely limited their musical output as an Eagles entity, and I enjoy them so much together that I resent the possible music we didn't get. But what do I know?? Maybe that friction is also part of what drives the creativity... I dunno. All that music/lyrics talent is available as individual artists during their "Vacation", but my favorite way is all of them together. That's why I'm going to what shows i can now, 'cause it ain't gonna last forever.

bernie's bender
04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
The Eagles history is so long and with so many changes along the way... it is hard to go back and really think about what actually happened.

I've heard Joe talk about his solo situation...and if you read the Vitale Biography, it lays some stuff out. Joe is a really complex person, but also very much what you see is what you get. He is fun and quirky. But he is very smart too and very introspective in his way...

He is not a businessman, nor a leader, nor does he have a master plan, nor an ax to grind. Glenn and Don are leaders, have a plan etc. At the point that Joe joined, he was barely making it and the thought that he would (on his own) have to write the songs, pay the band, be the focus all night long etc... it was daunting and depressing and overwhelming to him.

He liked the Eagles music. (Go listen to Dan Fogelberg's Souvenirs, Joe produced that, it is very very close to being an Eagle record.) and he loves harmonies and he loves songs... His strength is as a player and as a rocker and soloist even though his heart is often in softer music. The Eagles offered safety to produce at the rate that made Joe comfortable, a regular paycheck, the freedom to support and solo his tail off and do his stint but not have to do it all night long and not have to try to headline.

his exact words. "Bein' a bandleader is tough. TOUGH."

When he does do solo stuff now, it is fun and games... he isn't feeding his family with those activities... he's just playin. Some guys are cut out for leadership stuff and some guys aren't. The smart ones find their happy spot and hunker down.

Tim is a musician. He loves to sing and write songs, but he is a bass player and harmony singer. I think like most of us, it would be fun to be the front man, but I think he knows that he is best in a more supporting role. He's always struck me as a gentle soul who just really wanted to make a living playing music and while I'm sure he has seen political crap happen in the band that he didn't like... I don't think he was in a position to do anything about it.

Felder & Bernie & Randy. The story goes that Randy could have written the song "I'm so miserable here without you, it is almost like having you here." Supposedly, happiness and contentment are just not part of his make up... that he is happy in spurts.... and that whatever he is doing, needs a complete change within a few months or weeks... he kind of believed Frey's 'all for one, one for all' spiel, but I don't know what Randy would have done had he been in leadership... I just don't see him really being happy anywhere for too long.

Bernie and Felder are the guys at work who can tell you how screwed up it is and how idiots are in charge of everything and complain in the meeting, but, if someone called them on it and said, "okay, you be in charge. they would have stammered and left the room."

I dig them all, but I don't think they had the stomach for leading nor for being led.

People who hate the Eagles usually love Joe Walsh. So, they don't know what to do other than say "he sold out." I think it is nonsense. But, I also think that most people hate the Eagles because they were hugely popular and they were/are arrogant.

I don't see it that way, but I understand their take...

That Joe Walsh live concert record is still a classic and he and that band were magic... I wish they could have made a couple of records!

MikeA
04-26-2010, 10:19 PM
I distinctly recall the moment that I heard that Walsh was going to join the Eagles. A friend of mine who at the time was working in a Bank in Zealand, Michigan, called me up at home and asked if I'd heard:"Joe Walsh is joining the Eagles!"

There were question marks in my mind when I heard this. I was still heavily into James Gang and Barnstorm. I think So What had just been released. I never thought about any "sell out" though I did really wonder how Joe was going to fit into the Country Rock mode used by the Eagles at the time. Then "Hotel California" was released and the questions were answered.

I don't get the objections to a band working for money. Lots of Money too. But if they are putting out good product, it's worth what it's worth to whomever is doing the buying.

I still love their music, but they have priced themselves out of me attending concerts any longer.

TimothyBFan
04-27-2010, 08:12 AM
My only beef with the way the band has been run is that I think the big egos and the my-way-or-the-highway thinking has severely limited their musical output as an Eagles entity, and I enjoy them so much together that I resent the possible music we didn't get. but my favorite way is all of them together.

Very well stated jdf!! :applause:

Brooke
04-27-2010, 10:04 AM
bb, I think you are spot on.

And I remember when my husband and I heard that Joe had joined the band, too. We looked at each other with question marks in our eyes and said, this should be interesting. And it was and is!

jdubfan
04-27-2010, 05:03 PM
At the point that Joe joined, he was barely making it and the thought that he would (on his own) have to write the songs, pay the band, be the focus all night long etc... it was daunting and depressing and overwhelming to him.

He had also just lost his daughter and another marriage

He liked the Eagles music. (Go listen to Dan Fogelberg's Souvenirs, Joe produced that, it is very very close to being an Eagle record.)

his exact words. "Bein' a bandleader is tough. TOUGH."

I've had that album in about 4 different media types by now. Old Wave with Ringo is also pretty good. You're making the same point i was trying to, it wasn't his passion.

When he does do solo stuff now, it is fun and games... he isn't feeding his family with those activities... he's just playin. Some guys are cut out for leadership stuff and some guys aren't. The smart ones find their happy spot and hunker down.

Joe was lucky to find his "happy spot"

People who hate the Eagles usually love Joe Walsh. So, they don't know what to do other than say "he sold out." I think it is nonsense. But, I also think that most people hate the Eagles because they were hugely popular and they were/are arrogant.

I don't see it that way, but I understand their take...

That Joe Walsh live concert record is still a classic and he and that band were magic... I wish they could have made a couple of records!

I wish that entire show would be released!! There's got to be more somewhere...Bill please release it!