PDA

View Full Version : Joni calls Bob a plagiarist and Madonna "Nero"

bernie's bender
04-23-2010, 04:21 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36741933/ns/entertainment-music/

You gotta admire Joni's being willing to just say what she thinks!

I never knew "Car on a Hill" was about Glenn Frey.

EagleLady
04-23-2010, 04:24 PM
She sounds like a bitter old lady.

EagleLady
04-23-2010, 04:24 PM
And At least Madonna has done various things for Children and stuff. What has she done?

MikeA
04-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Like Rolling Stone's award states "Ole Lady of the Seventies". She does have a way with words <LOL>. Seriously, she REALLY has a way with words!

bernie's bender
04-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Here is the original article... oh man! this is interesting! (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-jonimitchell-20100422,0,601452,full.story)

Eaglelady, I don't have a clue what Joni has done for charities... but, it is an interesting point.

Is our merit as an artist dependent on which charities we support or if we even support charities?

Is our ability to criticize an artist based on our level of beneficence?

As for her level of bitterness... her veiled criticisms of Bob Zimmerman have some basis in fact, so she may be over accentuating them, but they do exist...

When I read of an artist giving to a cause or helping children it has zero impact on my evaluation of them as an artist. But, it does give me the impression that they might very well be good people who want to make the world a better place.

I do think Joni Mitchell has been a very 'giving' person as to charity in her life, but is less public about it.

Freypower
04-23-2010, 10:41 PM
And At least Madonna has done various things for Children and stuff. What has she done?

Oh, you know.... just written a bunch of songs that many people consider some of the most literate ever.

However, while yes, Dylan's name is 'assumed' (DUH! Did she really think anyone didn't know that) and he has certainly drawn on a huge number of songs to make up his own work, I would no more call him a 'plagiarist' than I would Shakespeare, who did much the same thing.

Prettymaid
04-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't know anything about her except for her songs I liked back in the day, but I wonder why she's sounds so angry? Not very flattering IMO...

Ive always been a dreamer
04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Well, I gotta say that I do admire people who are willing to speak their mind, but, I don't admire people who seem rude or bitter. Unfortunately, Joni seems to fit both descriptions here.

As far as "Car On a Hill", the first line says ...

"I've been sitting up waiting for my sugar to show"

Conclusive evidence that the song is about Glenn! :lol:

As the article points out, "Help Me" was also written about him. Seriously though, the lyrics to both songs are a very telling description of the young, wild Glenn.

bernie's bender
04-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Joni has always been pretty brutal about her peers. If there was anything 'fun' about the whole thing... it is just the idea of a bunch of old geezers still lobbing bombs at each other as if it mattered.

most kids know joni and bob the way I knew benny goodman.