PDA

View Full Version : Honda Center, Anaheim,April 25, 2010

carol7lynn
04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
:partytime:Sorry did have time last night to post. The Eagles played until almost midnight and I had to get some sleep. We're in the midst of state testing and I couldn't call off today. I have to leave in a half an hour but thought I'd post a quick review first. Bear in mind I'm operating on 4 hours of sleep and two cups of coffee. That said here goes.

I give last night show a big thumbs up :thumbsup: No stand out moments-well maybe one. Someone threw their bra or panties on stage. I couldn't tell which. Glenn made a comment about it but he just referred to the thrown garment as "underwear." :hilarious:

I don't do set-lists but I think it was the standard three hour set posted elsewhere on the board with the three song encore. Everyone was in a good mood last night and they took their time saying their thank yous after the show. I got a special wave from Timmy and I am over the moon :nahnah: about that as everyone can probably guess.

Didn't see any celebs last night but Glenn mentioned that his wife was there right before TITTL. Still using the same lame jokes. His voice was in top form as was Henleys who hit the high notes pitch perfect on Long Run!

Had no problem smuggling my camera in and no one bothered us about pixs. I shot two rolls, with the flash on, but won't have them until probably the end of the week. Been a long time since I shot 35mm so I have no idea how they will turn out. I'll keep everyone posted.

They had the front roped off and security posted every few seats so we weren't able to get to the stage but since I was in the second row it was a moot point although I do love pounding on the stage! I noticed the camera crane on Joe's side (I was in front of Timmy thank God.). I hoped they'd dump that thing along with the suits but they didn't.

Minor fight broke out right next to me and security got involved. It was about "elbow room" the guards told me later when I asked them why they were yelling at the people next to me. The crowd was pretty laid back so it was a shock when they descended on our row.

I'll post more later if I think of anything. Got to hit the shower.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalWow:nahnah:

TimothyBFan
04-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks CL for hopping on here and satisfying our curiosity on your busy morning. :thumbsup: in regards to the special nod from Timothy!! Anxiously awaiting the pictures and fingers crossed that they turn out for you!

Stars
04-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks so much for the great review, CL! Can't wait to see those photos!:partytime:

GlennLover
04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks, CL! I'm eagerly awaiting the pics too!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I know people criticize the band for always sticking to the same script, but it's amazing how we hardcores can just keep going to the shows and enjoying it over and over again, isn't it! Thanks for the writeup CL and glad to hear that their voices were in good shape! :thumbsup:

Koala
04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
CL, thanks for the review! I'm already looking forward to see your photos!:)

sodascouts
04-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I appreciate you dropping in for a preview CL! Like everyone else, I hope the photos turn out!

Brooke
04-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Ditto here. Thanks CL! Sounds like a great night.

EasyFeeling
04-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for your review, CL. :) Looking forward to see your photos.

Prettymaid
04-26-2010, 03:06 PM
CL, thanks for getting on here as soon as you could. We've been patiently waiting! Glad you got to see a good show.

carol7lynn
04-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks all!

I may have the pix tomorow if all goes well. Stay Tuned! I'm dog-tired but it was worth it.

I forgot to mention I woke up this morning right after dreaming that I was in some nondescript parking lot with Glenn and Timmy and it was in broad daylight. Everyone was joking and having a good time. :partytime: I woke up right after Glenn handed me a minature yellow and red-striped surf-board. I remember asking him why but I didn't get an answer because my alarm went off and that was the end of that dream.

Stay Tuned!

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalMeow!:nahnah:

carol7lynn
04-27-2010, 05:41 PM
http://gi350.photobucket.com/groups/q421/OKQCHVF2HI/th_TimmyB-HondaCenter.jpg (http://gs350.photobucket.com/groups/q421/OKQCHVF2HI/?action=view&current=TimmyB-HondaCenter.jpg)

Okay if you want to see more-and I hope you do-go to this link.
http://gs350.photobucket.com/groups/q421/OKQCHVF2HI/

Enjoy.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal:nahnah:

luvthelighthouse
04-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Enjoy, I did!!! Thanks for sharing those. They look amazing in their casual clothes. So relaxed!

Koala
04-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Thanks carol!
I found this review

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2010/04/27/eagles-anaheim-gig-needed-a-setlist-tune-up/26047/

TimothyBFan
04-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Gee-I think the reviewer's been reading this board also. He seems rather unfond of the setlist also.

carol7lynn
04-28-2010, 08:20 AM
I just wish they would add a couple of Timmy's solo songs and maybe a few more rockers like "Already Gone."

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal:partytime:

TimothyBFan
04-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Oh CL---Thank you, thank you!!! They are beautiful pictures!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Brooke
04-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Great pics CL! Thanks so much!

The guys look fantastic in the casual look, too! I bet someone from the Eagles machine has read this board and taken note on "what the fans want"! It sure looks that way!

Great review from someone who knows about the band, too, and the missing Glenn songs.

Do you hear that Glenn? Bring your songs back! Pretty please?

luvthelighthouse
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Kinda sounds like the reviewer wants more "hits", less Eden. However, this IS the LROE Tour! As much as I enjoy Henley's solo works... it IS an Eagles concert. Granted, I may feel differently if they tossed in one of Timothy's solo works.

In any case, I think the guys are doing their best to please the majority of the masses. They do a nice mix of Eden and the Hits. I'm sure some would prefer more hits while others prefer more Eden. It must be hard being so popular! :thumbsup:

04-28-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree with most of what you are saying, ltl. But, the thing is that it seems like most of the hits that are missing are Glenn's such as Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone, New Kid In Town. In addition, the one song that has been dropped from LROOE (Somebody) is also Glenn's. In addition, Glenn's lucrative solo career is not represented at all. So if this "setlist mechanic" of who this reviewer speaks (who happens to be Mr. Frey) is doing his best to please the majority, it's possible he may be missing his mark recently. I have usually defended the set list in the past, including the addition of the solo material, but, again, it seems a bit out of kilter when your co-lead singer and hitmaker in the band is only singing about 1/5 of the set list. That's when others outside of the hardcore fanbase start taking notice, IMO.

Brooke
04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Maybe we all need to write Glenn a letter and tell him. Surely if he got several letters that wanted his songs back he would try to appease.

I realize it will take some time for him to actually get them and read them, but it might help for the fall tour. Assuming there is one.

GlennLover
04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe we all need to write Glenn a letter and tell him. Surely if he got several letters that wanted his songs back he would try to appease.

I realize it will take some time for him to actually get them and read them, but it might help for the fall tour. Assuming there is one.

Good idea, Brooke!! :thumbsup:

Freypower
04-28-2010, 07:07 PM
The 'fall tour' if there is one will be Asia/Australia. Do you seriously think the setlist will be changed for that?

My opinions on this are well known. I have no idea why Somebody was dropped and I have no idea why some of Glenn's other songs were dropped. I think that Don's solo songs have been there for far too long (I am well aware that people will disagree with that) and I don't know what is so special about The Long Run for it to be played instead of New Kid In Town. As for LROOE, I would be playing more of it, not less of it.

I wonder if Cami's allusion to the somewhat subdued reaction Glenn apparently received from the crowd in Sacramento means that he thinks he is the least popular member of the band and therefore the audience are not interested in his songs.

Even if people were to write to Glenn about this I seriously doubt that he would show any interest or take any action. He seems far more interested in his leadership role these days than in his role as a performer.

04-28-2010, 08:47 PM
The 'fall tour' if there is one will be Asia/Australia. Do you seriously think the setlist will be changed for that?

Well, that is a presumption, not a fact. And while I don't expect wholesale changes, I wouldn't rule out some revisions to the set list for the next leg.

My opinions on this are well known. I have no idea why Somebody was dropped and I have no idea why some of Glenn's other songs were dropped. I think that Don's solo songs have been there for far too long (I am well aware that people will disagree with that) and I don't know what is so special about The Long Run for it to be played instead of New Kid In Town. As for LROOE, I would be playing more of it, not less of it.

Why not play both New Kid In Town and The Long Run. Some of us love both songs. And, of course, as we've said many times before, the average casual fan does not want to hear LROOE - they want to hear the hits.

I wonder if Cami's allusion to the somewhat subdued reaction Glenn apparently received from the crowd in Sacramento means that he thinks he is the least popular member of the band and therefore the audience are not interested in his songs.

Well, FP, I don't follow that line of reasoning at all. If that were the case, wouldn't Glenn be inclined to showcase himself even more to prove his worthiness to the fans???

Even if people were to write to Glenn about this I seriously doubt that he would show any interest or take any action. He seems far more interested in his leadership role these days than in his role as a performer.

Again, I definitely take issue with this. If this were the case, it would seem to me that the Eagles would not be performing at all.

Freypower
04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Well, that is a presumption, not a fact. And while I don't expect wholesale changes, I wouldn't rule out some revisions to the set list for the next leg.

Such as?

Why not play both New Kid In Town and The Long Run. Some of us love both songs. And, of course, as we've said many times before, the average casual fan does not want to hear LROOE - they want to hear the hits.

Just once, I think it would be nice if the 'hits' mentality were reviewed. I know this is a minority opinion. I mention The Long Run because I don't see why nobody ever suggests that a Henley Eagles song could ever possibly be dropped, and that one is my least favourite of the songs he sings. I know it won't happen.

Well, FP, I don't follow that line of reasoning at all. If that were the case, wouldn't Glenn be inclined to showcase himself even more to prove his worthiness to the fans???

No. He doesn't seem to have any interest in 'showcasing' himself.

Again, I definitely take issue with this. If this were the case, it would seem to me that the Eagles would not be performing at all.

You can look at it both ways, in my opinion.

Glennhoney
04-28-2010, 09:07 PM
...okay, so here's hoping that somebody in the Frey household will be reading this....

GLENN HONEY, you have got to bring back your songs...in particular, "Heartache Tonight", "Already gone", "Tequila Sunrise" and "Somebody"....and I could go on and on.........

I'm not asking too much...am I???....:yay:.....everybody misses them...:rockon:

Freypower
04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Er.....he hasn't dropped Heartache Tonight. Not yet.

Freypower
04-28-2010, 10:04 PM
He dropped it before the start of the LROOE tour along with Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone and You Belong To The City.

The only Eagles songs sung by Don Henley which were dropped were Hole In The World, a more recent song, and Wasted Time. These were replaced by LROOE, WITW, BBF and Witchy Woman. BBF was dropped for a time but has now returned. The jury appears still out on ASWTDID, which was dropped but returned for a couple of shows.

The rationale was supposed to have been that Glenn would replace these songs with LROOE songs. He replaced them with How Long & Somebody, and now he has dropped Somebody.

Prettymaid
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
While I was watching the non-concert parts of F1 this morning I came across the part where Glenn says something to the effect of "Don's our key vocalist and our key songwriter". I immediately thought of this discussion, wondering if Glenn thinks that Don deserves more lead vocals than he does. I wish Glenn knew that if you're an Eagles fan you want to hear both voices that have defined the sound of the band for years. I don't think he realizes that his leads are just as longed for as Don's.

BTW FP, I love your sig banner. What a great smile!

Freypower
04-28-2010, 11:17 PM
While I was watching the non-concert parts of F1 this morning I came across the part where Glenn says something to the effect of "Don's our key vocalist and our key songwriter". I immediately thought of this discussion, wondering if Glenn thinks that Don deserves more lead vocals than he does. I wish Glenn knew that if you're an Eagles fan you want to hear both voices that have defined the sound of the band for years. I don't think he realizes that his leads are just as longed for as Don's.

BTW FP, I love your sig banner. What a great smile!

Thanks.

The words Glenn used were 'chief vocalist' and 'chief lyricist'. I have never agreed with him about the first statement.

04-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/vc/buttons//viewpost.gif (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=106371#post106371)

Originally Posted by Freypower
Such as?

Neither of us have a crystal ball into the future, so I don't have any idea, but neither do you. I'm just saying that changes are possible in response to your insistence that the band never makes any changes.

Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/vc/buttons//viewpost.gif (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=106371#post106371)

Just once, I think it would be nice if the 'hits' mentality were reviewed. I know this is a minority opinion. I mention The Long Run because I don't see why nobody ever suggests that a Henley Eagles song could ever possibly be dropped, and that one is my least favourite of the songs he sings. I know it won't happen.

There are a number of Don's songs that have been in the set lists in the past that were later dropped. I know I was particularly happy when they dropped Sunset Grill, but not so much about The Best of My Love, Victim of Love, or Wasted Time.

No. He doesn't seem to have any interest in 'showcasing' himself.

So it sounds as if you are saying that Glenn doesn't think the fans want to hear his songs so he is content to wilt into the background, and let the more popular band members shine. Sorry, but I ain't buying this - Glenn just seems a bit too competitive to me.

But with regard to what PM is saying about Glenn's comments on the F1 DVD were made, I do think that he has always had the mindset ever since the resumption that Don would have the majority of the lead vocals in live shows. Every set list since 1994 has reflected this. However, until recently, Glenn still sang about 9 - 10 songs per show, which still represented about 1/3 of the set list. I was fine with that, and I didn't think his role seemed marginalized especially since he assumes the emcee responsibilities. However, he has recently subordinated himself to the point where I think it becomes obvious to even the casual fan.

You can look at it both ways, in my opinion.

Well, I was responding to your original comment that Glenn was more interested in a leadership role than a performing role. My thoughts are if this is true, why doen't he just take more of a leadership role when performing then instead of subordinating himself?

Freypower
04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
I find doing the quoting separate chunks of a post difficult so I will respond to you in point form:

1. They have just reintroduced Seven Bridges Road, so they are capable of making changes, yes. The likelihood of them doing so for their next tour seems remote to me.

(And on this: Metallica have announced an Australian tour for October - November. This does not bode well for a possible Eagles tour unless that is scheduled for November - December).

2. See my edited post re Henley songs which have been dropped. But unlike Frey songs, they are replaced by something else.

3. You agree that Glenn has subordinated himself after you say that Glenn is too competitive to let the other band members shine at his expense. Don't you think you've cancelled yourself out there?

4. His interest appears to me to be in his behind the scenes leadership.

04-29-2010, 12:24 AM
1. They have just reintroduced Seven Bridges Road, so they are capable of making changes, yes. The likelihood of them doing so for their next tour seems remote to me.

Well I don't know what else to say here except that you continously predict that the band will not make any changes, but then when they do you acknowledge that the band is capable of doing so. No matter how many times they change, you insist on always declaring that they won't in the future. So, unless I'm missing something here in your argument, I think we're at a stalemate on this point, and should just agree to disagree.

2. See my edited post re Henley songs which have been dropped. But unlike Frey songs, they are replaced by something else.

Since 1994, the set lists have consistently had about 11 - 12 Henley lead vocals, and 9 -10 Frey lead vocals. Of course, the songs that both of them sang did, in fact, change, but the number stayed about the same. Glenn's role was reduced at the beginning of the LROOE tour, and now it seems it to have dropped again to the point where he has only about 6 leads and one shared lead. This has become a significant and noticable change.

3. You agree that Glenn has subordinated himself after you say that Glenn is too competitive to let the other band members shine at his expense. Don't you think you've cancelled yourself out there?

No - I don't. Of course, I am acknowledging that his role has been marginalized (see comment above). While I don't know this for sure, my gut tells me that it's not all about his voice. However, it doesn't make sense to me for a very competitive person like Glenn to wilt into the background. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think any of us know the reasons why this is happening. I wish I did - but I can't come up with any logical explanation.

4. His interest appears to me to be in his behind the scenes leadership.

I don't entirely disagree with your statement, but, again, I'd be surprised if he was touring if he didn't want to. But, once again, who knows - maybe he feels a sense of obligation to carry on until a certain point in time. :headscratch: :shrug: :confused:

Koala
04-29-2010, 01:53 AM
I found this videos from Anaheim

Hotel California http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og3-NSjkwcY

Lifes Been Good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ll8mT0ir0

TimothyBFan
04-29-2010, 08:47 AM
(And on this: Metallica have announced an Australian tour for October - November. This does not bode well for a possible Eagles tour unless that is scheduled for November - December).

I may be missing the obvious, but why can't they tour at the same time? I know if they were and I had the choice--well I think you all know what band I would choose to go see.

Prettymaid
04-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm sure that by now this discussion needs its own thread. It's fascinating to read these comments.

I agree that we can speculate all we want, but the truth is that Glenn has not given us a clue as to why he is dropping leads. I just wish he could feel the love more and know what we fans want.

Here's the setlist WT posted in the Sacramento thread:

Seven Bridges Road
How Long
Busy Being Fabulous
I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
Guilty of the Crime
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can't Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Boys of Summer
In the City
Long Run
intermission
No More Walks in the Woods
Waiting in the Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Take it to the Limit
Long Road Out of Eden
Walk Away
One of These Nights
Life's Been Good
Dirty Laundry
Funk 49
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane
Encore:
Take it Easy
Rocky Mountain Way
All She Wants to Do is Dance
Desperado

TimothyBFan
04-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Wow--seeing it broken down like that.:woah: It really is kind of the Don Henley show with special guest anymore!

Brooke
04-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Pm, you read my mind! I was thinking about doing that in another thread and got to this one!

It really helps to see it posted like that!

GLENN, WE WANT MORE OF YOU!

luvthelighthouse
04-29-2010, 11:03 AM
So that breaks down to:

Group: 2 songs
Don/Glenn: 1 song
Don: 12 songs
Glenn: 6 songs
Joe: 6 songs
Timothy: 3 songs

I will admit, I didn't even realize Don was singing THAT much!

Freypower
04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
I may be missing the obvious, but why can't they tour at the same time? I know if they were and I had the choice--well I think you all know what band I would choose to go see.

Both bands will want to use Acer Arena in Sydney and Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.

I think the way PM broke down that setlist speaks for itself.

sodascouts
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm sure that by now this discussion needs its own thread. It's fascinating to read these comments.

I agree, and I actually tried to create a thread for it by moving posts made in the Phoenix thread a few days ago, but I found it impossible to extricate them from the Phoenix review because most were "Great review [comments about Phoenix] then "About Glenn...[comments about his fewer songs]" so removing them from the Phoenix thread would render them nonsensical. Now that the comments have spread to other review threads, it would be even more difficult to combine them into one thread. For someone like me who's anal about thread organization and moves posts all the time to keep threads orderly and on topic, it's quite painful to admit it... but it looks like we'll have to leave them as-is.

Freypower
04-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Remember we did have an idea to do a poll. If this discussion is to continue we could move it there. I wasn't sure what you were going to ask in the poll.

GlennLover
05-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Glenn said in an interview around the time that F1 was being released that he prefers now to Play his guitar & piano parts & sing harmony in the other guys songs where they sing lead vocal, rather than singing lead. Maybe that is why he's singing less. I must see if I can find that interview so I can quote him exactly.

Freypower
05-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, I would like to see that. He was singing a lot more songs during the F1 period than he is now. For the life of me I do not understand his thinking. His voice is as great as it has ever been.

GlennLover
05-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Well, I would like to see that. He was singing a lot more songs during the F1 period than he is now. For the life of me I do not understand his thinking. His voice is as great as it has ever been.

I'll look for it when I have more time.

sodascouts
05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Oh my gosh guys, check these photos out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hungerland/sets/72157623842220539/

Freypower
05-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Wow. A couple of those are fantastic.

Prettymaid
05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Those are amazing! :smitten: Thanks Soda!

luvthelighthouse
05-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I love the whole fade to black backgrounds, so cool! Also, TBS in short sleeves! :thumbsup:

Koala
05-07-2010, 02:13 AM
WOW, amazing pics, great find!:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
05-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Those are wonderful pictures! But where's the individual ones of Timothy again?