PDA

View Full Version : International Space Station

MikeA
04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Doesn't have much to do with the Eagles or Music (unless it be the Dark Side Of The Moon) but thought I'd share this. It is a time lapse group of photos that I took last night. I used a Cannon Powershot 1300IS camera on a tripod using 1600ASA and a time lapse (aprox 3 seconds).

I had heard that the International Space Station would be visible from our house close to Wichita, Kansas at 9:44 pm WSW at about 45* altitude. It showed up right on time <grin> I took 8 shots of it, one of which failed (thus the gap in the sequence.)

From the individual pictures, I had no trouble telling which bright point was the Space Station since it "moves" in a different direction (sort of south to north) while the stars are moving more or less east to west. Therefore the "star trail" it left was almost at a 90* angle to the trails of the other objects, though only the Space Station showed any noticeable movement in 3 seconds!

Just sort of interesting. I used to do this a LOT when I was practicing telescope building and Astronomical Observation.

Glennsallnighter
05-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Wow! Fascinating. I remember going out late one night in the 80s to watch the MIR Space Station which was visible from Irish skies at the time.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Wow Mike! Those are really exciting to look at. Great job and thanks for sharing them with us.

AzEaglesFan
05-03-2010, 02:15 AM
Thank you Mike, I wish I could catch something like that. No equipment and no talent. lol

MikeA
05-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Doesn't take a lot of talent EZF, well, It is hard to keep that ARROW from smearing while tracking that little tiny dot across the sky.

AzEaglesFan
05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Yep, it takes a lot of talent. Glad we have you here. :thumbsup: