PDA

View Full Version : Former Eagles

Allison
04-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Why are they all "Fomer Eagles" lumped together in one link? It would be nice to have each with their own link by name like the current members, as well as a photo of them on the homepage. Just a thought. Many Eagles fans originated from the music created by the members who were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame... And a big reunion gig would be amazing. There's not time like the present!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Welcome Allison – Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border. The reason we don’t have separate forums for Bernie, Randy, and Don F. is simply because of the amount of activity. Even by combining this forum for all three former members, it simply does not have a comparable number of topics as the active members. If that changes in the future, I’m sure the admin would consider separating them. In the meantime, feel free to contribute to the activity here if you would like to see this happen. :wink:

I have also been a fan from the beginning of the band, and I love every incarnation of members. However, I always joke and say that hell would have to freeze over twice more in order for a reunion of all 7 members to ever happen. But, I also have learned from following this band to never say never. :nope:

ETA: Allison, I thought of this after I originally responded to you. I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but we do have separate fansites for all 7 members that you may be interested in checking out. The links to the sites for each of the former members are:

BernieLeadonOnline.com (http://www.bernieleadononline.com/)
RandyMeisnerOnline.com (http://www.randymeisneronline.com/)
DonFelderOnline.com (http://www.donfelderonline.com/)

Hope you will check them out and find them informative.

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-01-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm with Allison. Bernie and Randy deserve their own link. Felder, I'm not so sure...

Allison
05-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I've not joined a website before with posts, so this is quite fun. Thanks for the quick replies and warm welcome!

I am aware of the seperate, individual websites; however, perhaps the former members have less traffic because they are lumped together and attention is not so easily drawn to them (a marketing/website traffic issue, with poor billing)? Or not. Regardless, if this website is truly for the 'current' members, then it is nice to have any mention of former members at all. My comment was my first impression, first day on the site, fresh eyes. The impression was that the individual current member links, and photo at the top of every the page, gave them all the credit for the playlist/music catelog. But I guess it really only matters if the former members are happy with the format... not me. This was just my observation.

P.S. Nice to meet you all!

timfan
05-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey Alison! Glad you've joined us!

In terms of the former members IMO I think the reason their forum has less activitity is quite simple; Bernie Randy and Don F are less visibly active than the four current members so it makes sense that their forum would be quieter. JMO of course 8-)

sodascouts
05-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Nice to meet you, Allison!

I understand where you're coming from. I've considered divvying up the forums many times, but it looks kind of bad for the guys when they have so little activity in their individual forums. This way, the forum looks pretty active. I don't see why anyone who wants to talk about Randy, Bernie, or Felder wouldn't do so just because they're in a combo forum.

As for the banner at the top, I've actually designed several board styles, many of which include the former members in their banner. This one with the current members is the default, but anyone who wants the former members in their banner just needs to scroll down to the bottom where you see a white box that says "EOC Default." That's a drop-down menu, and you can select different era styles (For instance "One of These Nights") which will change the banner to show the members of your choice. You can also change your style in your User CP under "Edit Options."

luvthelighthouse
05-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Allison! With the recent contributions of Gettheleadonout and Whitecap... for "former Eagles" threads are popping!

We all love to hear about any of the guys... so I hope you jump on in and share your thoughts w/the rest of the group! Welcome to the border!

Prettymaid
05-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi Allison. I hope you enjoy yourself here. Do you have a favorite Eagle?

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
:machinegun:at GTLO

ok, let's give Felder his own link.

But no way for Irving Azoff!!

TimothyBFan
05-02-2010, 04:51 PM
That's more like it:thumbsup:. Personally, Irving sounds like a complete butthead, but we gotta take into consideration that the Eagles love him and his methods, especially Henley who is very close to him, and it's quite possible they may not have risen to the top as fast and stayed there all these years without his obnoxious little self battling everyone and everything every inch of the way:hilarious:.

That said, no damn link for Irv!!!

As Henley said at the HOF induction---"he may be satan, but he's our satan". :hilarious:

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Irving is an a-hole. Henley loves him because he keeps him rich. But his Live Nation/Ticketmaster is a disgrace.

The person they owe their career to is David Geffen (who Henley of course hates).

No link for Geffen either, though!! But let's hook up Bernie, Randy & Felder

sodascouts
05-02-2010, 07:36 PM
It's not that they don't deserve their own forums - their contributions to the Eagles are immense - but as I said earlier, the paltry level of activity for the past members would become painfully obvious if the forum were divvyed up. As it now stands, at least the thread count for this forum is comparable to the other forums. When the level of activity justifies it, I will split them up.

sodascouts
05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm going to experiment with subforums here. From the front page, the activity would still look good, but once you got into the forum, you'd easily be able to see individual separation. We'll see if it works. If not, I'll just recombine them.

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Woo hooo!! Awesome soda! I think this is great. Curious if others like it.

whitcap
05-08-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm lovin' the subforums Soda.

05-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Yep - I think the sub-forums are the appropriate answer. It does make it easier to see all the topics about each member separated. Hopefully, this will have the desired effect of increasing the amount of activity in this forum.

Eve
06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
That is a beautiful song. I was looking at the most played songs on my iPod and that is one of them. Just behind "Too Many Hands" my fav off "One of these Nights".

TimothyBFan
06-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I bet I know how Eve's gonna vote in the OOTN Survivor game!!! :thumbsup:

Eve
06-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I bet I know how Eve's gonna vote in the OOTN Survivor game!!! :thumbsup:

I vote for Randy!! Uh...how do we play?

sodascouts
06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Watch the Eagles forum tonight for directions. I'll post them at 8:00 eastern!

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-28-2013, 12:04 AM
The Eagles are not the Eagles without Bernie, Randy & Don F. Definitely my opinion.

Brooke
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
The Eagles are not the Eagles without Bernie, Randy & Don F. Definitely my opinion.

I nearly choked on my cappuccino on that!

That's a bit funny since they've been touring and selling out venues under the Eagles name since the 70's without Randy and Bernie and since what, 2001 without Felder! Who was it I saw in concert in St. Louis in October? :headscratch:

MaryCalifornia
12-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Well, it's like saying the Rolling Stones aren't the Rolling Stones without Brian Jones and Mick Taylor, right? Even down to the similarity of Ronnie Wood and Joe Walsh joining their respective bands in '75 and have remained ever since. And even though the biggest hits came prior to two original members leaving. It's like someone not liking Mick and Keith, or wanting to see their show, or hear those great songs performed because Brian Jones and Mick Taylor aren't there. Strange.

luna65
12-30-2013, 06:16 PM
I see this in fandom all the time - people refer to the version of Pink Floyd which existed from 1987-1995 as Faux Floyd because Roger Waters was no longer a member. Or the "No Jon, No Yes" movement which arose because Jon Anderson is no longer in the band. I have my own prejudice in that Chicago was never the same for me after Terry Kath died, but I could understand why they wanted to keep the band going.

Freypower
12-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Some may also feel that way about AC/DC and Genesis.

I certainly do not feel it about the Eagles. I never did. I didn't really become an Eagles fan until Joe joined although I liked their songs prior to that.

luna65
12-30-2013, 07:45 PM
I think for fans questions/debates of legitimacy are different than the actual considerations. If Axl Rose can get people to see a version of Guns n'Roses with only one original member, then I think it proves that the brand name has a power beyond the identities of any one single person (in most cases).

Freypower
12-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I think for fans questions/debates of legitimacy are different than the actual considerations. If Axl Rose can get people to see a version of Guns n'Roses with only one original member, then I think it proves that the brand name has a power beyond the identities of any one single person (in most cases).

That is true if a band has only one dominant individual. However, there would be no band called the Eagles without BOTH Glenn Frey AND Don Henley. The Eagles require and always required both of these men. If only one of them tried to tour under the name 'the Eagles' it would not work even if Joe & Tim were with them. As Don said after the failed reunion attempt in 1991 if he had tried to do it without Glenn it would have been him & his backing band.

luna65
12-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Yes, that's why I chose the phrase "in most cases" because every situation is different. It's certainly obvious to most people that neither Don nor Glenn could use the brand name on their own.

UndertheWire
12-30-2013, 08:56 PM
If you want to get an idea of how messy it can all get, I suggest reading the recent ruling on a court case between Andy Powell and Martin Turner on the use of the name Wishbone Ash. That court hearing only lasted two days, possibly becaus there isn't a lot of money involved. It does show how complicated it can all get with people leaving and joining through the years.
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/IPEC/2013/3242.html

Springbo
12-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I nearly choked on my cappuccino on that!

That's a bit funny since they've been touring and selling out venues under the Eagles name since the 70's without Randy and Bernie and since what, 2001 without Felder! Who was it I saw in concert in St. Louis in October? :headscratch:

You saw Glenn Frey and Don Henley with Timmy Schmit, Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith. I agree with Thrill. Not sure how old you are, but I attended my first Eagles concert in 1972, and that's when I became a fan, which is why the Eagles will always be the original four to me.

Freypower
12-30-2013, 10:52 PM
You saw Glenn Frey and Don Henley with Timmy Schmit, Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith. I agree with Thrill. Not sure how old you are, but I attended my first Eagles concert in 1972, and that's when I became a fan, which is why the Eagles will always be the original four to me.

It is interesting that this question of how old someone is comes up again as it did at the start of the Lost Magic thread (in the Randy Meisner forum).

It does not matter in the final analysis how old you are, or how long you have been a fan, or which lineup you prefer. All that matters is; you are a fan. All viewpoints are valid. All perspectives are valid. The opinion of people who prefer the current lineup is as legitimate as the opinion of those who prefer the original lineup. I think it is time that this was made clear.

12-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Yep - I'm pretty good proof of that point. I was a fan from the very beginning of the band and I don't have a favorite incarnation - I love 'em all. I happen to appreciate the talents of all the guys that were ever part of the band, and believe they all made their own unique contributions. But, as I have said many times before, I also happen to believe the change in musical direction and personnel that they made is very much responsible for the band achieving the legendary status that they did. If they had stuck with country rock and not diversified their sound, we may not even be here on this board talking about them now.

UndertheWire
12-31-2013, 05:42 AM
It is interesting that this question of how old someone is comes up again as it did at the start of the Lost Magic thread (in the Randy Meisner forum).

It does not matter in the final analysis how old you are, or how long you have been a fan, or which lineup you prefer. All that matters is; you are a fan. All viewpoints are valid. All perspectives are valid. The opinion of people who prefer the current lineup is as legitimate as the opinion of those who prefer the original lineup. I think it is time that this was made clear.
Thank you for posting this. We are all allowed to have our own favourite era, line-up, band member, songs.

I returned to the fold after a break of nearly forty years. I may still prefer the original line-up and earlier albums but that's tied in with nostalgia and familiarity. I'm enjoying following through by listening to newer (and older!) material both from the band and the individual members. The occasional flight of fancy into what might have been is interesting but I can't change what happened and I don't think I would want to.

Brooke
12-31-2013, 11:27 AM

No, I saw the Eagles! I've been a fan of the Eagles since the very beginning (I'm 57 if that matters) and I have loved all the incarnations of the band and could not really pick a favorite. I have never stopped listening to their music, even during their 14 year vacation. I listened to their albums during that time and wished and prayed for them to get back together. And even when someone left the band, be it Bernie, Randy, or Felder, they always managed to replace them with someone I was satisfied with and sounded just as good. Glenn and Don H will always have to be there to be called the Eagles, for me, because their voices are the Eagles voices. Obviously lots of other fans feel the same way. They continue to sell out venues as the Eagles!

randymeisnerrocks
12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
No, I saw the Eagles! I've been a fan of the Eagles since the very beginning (I'm 57 if that matters) and I have loved all the incarnations of the band and could not really pick a favorite. I have never stopped listening to their music, even during their 14 year vacation. I listened to their albums during that time and wished and prayed for them to get back together. And even when someone left the band, be it Bernie, Randy, or Felder, they always managed to replace them with someone I was satisfied with and sounded just as good. Glenn and Don H will always have to be there to be called the Eagles, for me, because their voices are the Eagles voices. Obviously lots of other fans feel the same way. They continue to sell out venues as the Eagles!

Opinions are like elbows, everybody has one. You think Frey and Henley are the Eagles and I say the Eagles are 'the sum of all the parts.'

We will never agree and we don't have to. There is room for everybody. 'Nuff said.

UndertheWire
12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
I have two.

When I saw the Eagles this year (for the first time), I was thrilled to see three of the original four members. That's quite remarkable for forty years on. Even more remarkable was how good they still sound. So I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Freypower
12-31-2013, 04:56 PM
Opinions are like elbows, everybody has one. You think Frey and Henley are the Eagles and I say the Eagles are 'the sum of all the parts.'

We will never agree and we don't have to. There is room for everybody. 'Nuff said.

What Brooke actually said was that both Frey & Henley have to be in the band for it to be 'the Eagles'. She did not say Frey & Henley ARE the Eagles.

The current lineup of Frey, Henley, Walsh & Schmit is just as much 'the Eagles' as the original lineup was.

There is no argument that the band is also the sum of all parts. No disrespect AT ALL is meant to the former members.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I absolutely loved the original four, however I was a Joe Walsh fan before that, so when he joined my favorite group I was a very happy fan. Like others, I love all incarnations of the band, but I'd have to say that my favorite is the current line-up. I guess that's because I always prefer present over past. There will come a time, hopefully in the very distant future, that it will all be in the past, and so I'm enjoying the present while I can. The Eagles are here in the present and they are still freakishly awesome. Some might think they were more awesome in the past, but it doesn't take away from the fact they are still here, still relevant, still selling out arenas, and still have even more casual fans (those who don't live on message boards and Facebook pages) traveling to see them.

I like what JD says during the documentary, that through the Eagles, fans can remember a 70's they experienced or even never had. Our guys have always been very good at recognizing the imaginations of their fans and using it. Past or present, we all have the places we go to in our heads when their music is playing.

luna65
01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
So true; with their ubiquitous presence on the radio, for example, they are literally the soundtrack to the lives of so many people.

Eagles7
06-16-2016, 02:19 PM
It's interesting that one band, in its many different forms, could mean so many different things to so many.

I have to say my favorite combo is the magic five - Glenn, Don, Randy, Felder, and Joe. That was their most creative period, IMO, and that was the same group before and after the 14 year-long break.

This is just one we can agree to disagree on, cause it's very personal for each one of us. I guess we can all agree that the Eagles are America's greatest legendary band...no matter how it looks. The music has resonated for 45 years...and hopefully continues on forever...even if everyone is now a Former Eagle. :band::inlove::applause:

Freypower
06-16-2016, 11:29 PM
It's interesting that one band, in its many different forms, could mean so many different things to so many.

I have to say my favorite combo is the magic five - Glenn, Don, Randy, Felder, and Joe. That was their most creative period, IMO, and that was the same group before and after the 14 year-long break.

This is just one we can agree to disagree on, cause it's very personal for each one of us. I guess we can all agree that the Eagles are America's greatest legendary band...no matter how it looks. The music has resonated for 45 years...and hopefully continues on forever...even if everyone is now a Former Eagle. :band::inlove::applause:

If that is your favourite line up fair enough, but Timothy B. Schmit, joined the band in 1977, was with them when they broke up, and was with them when they reformed in 1994.

Annoying Twit
06-17-2016, 02:31 AM
I think the Eagles were unique in that every single member can sing and write songs (*) Few bands can say that. I wouldn't want to rank them in order. The style of the band changed, which kept things fresh. I've got a growing appreciation for Long Run Out of Eden. IMHO it compares very well with the earlier albums.

Returning to the OP, there aren't that many former Eagles. Couldn't the subforums for all them be listed with equal prominence? However, I'm not one for telling forum owners how to run their forum; the current structure is fine too.

(*) I'll ignore whether or not technology plays a part in this for one ex-member - I can't complain as I'm going to be spending hours practicing using Izotope's pitch-corrrection and harmony creation tool today - let he who is without sin...

Freypower
06-17-2016, 07:44 PM
I think the Eagles were unique in that every single member can sing and write songs (*) Few bands can say that. I wouldn't want to rank them in order. The style of the band changed, which kept things fresh. I've got a growing appreciation for Long Run Out of Eden. IMHO it compares very well with the earlier albums.

Returning to the OP, there aren't that many former Eagles. Couldn't the subforums for all them be listed with equal prominence? However, I'm not one for telling forum owners how to run their forum; the current structure is fine too.

(*) I'll ignore whether or not technology plays a part in this for one ex-member - I can't complain as I'm going to be spending hours practicing using Izotope's pitch-corrrection and harmony creation tool today - let he who is without sin...

I can't speak for Soda but the reason she did it this way originally was because the three former Eagles as they were then were far less active than the last current lineup. That is still the case for Randy Meisner & Bernie Leadon has done nothing outside the HOTE Tour.

They are all former Eagles now & I personally think the format should remain as it is.

Funk 50
06-18-2016, 06:57 AM
If they are all now former Eagles, where's the distinction?

The most obvious one would be original and subsequent but I'd prefer Equal billing. :shrug:

sodascouts
06-18-2016, 03:17 PM
I think it works fine as it is. I've had no complaints since I created the subforums six years ago when this thread was begun. If the only people complaining are Funk 50 (who loves to cruelly twist the knife about Glenn's death) and Annoying Twit, then I'm not going to bother to change it.

If more invested members think it's a good idea, though, I'll consider making the change.

Eagles7
06-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Oops, my bad, didn't mean to dis Timothy . I know he came on..78, I think.

Jonny Come Lately
06-18-2016, 05:02 PM
I agree with Soda, I think it works well as it is currently and can see no reason why it should be changed. I think Don, Glenn, Joe and Tim deserve higher billing because there is a lot more interest and activity in their sections than those of the former members. In particular, I think there is noticeably more discussion about their solo albums than those released by Bernie, Randy and Felder. I think it is fair to say that Bernie's albums in particular are somewhat obscure even amongst dedicated fans and not frequently discussed, but even in the time I have been on this forum (18 months or so) I have seen very little discussion about either of Felder's solo albums, even the much more recent Road To Forever. By contrast, Glenn and Don's solo albums are acknowledged on the anniversary of their release date every year as the Eagles albums are, and these inspire more detailed reviews, opinions and analysis.

I would also add that it is unusual to see a day where no one posts on Don and Glenn's boards, whereas Bernie's board is quite frequently inactive (at the time of writing, there are topics from over five years ago that are on the first page of Bernie's board, whereas on Glenn's board the first page only covers topics from the last two months) and activity in Randy and Felder's boards fluctuates. In short, I feel the current prominence of each section is fair and accurately reflective of the overall popularity of the different band members on the board, it is easy to use and navigate and I am happy with the format as it is.

WalshFan88
06-18-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm good with either. It really doesn't matter at this point.

To me they are all on the same level and I like to think they all are Eagles now, no more past vs current, no more old vs new. It's sad that it's happened this way.

I like to think that eventually in time all of the members (including Don Felder) would have been asked back to the band and played a show together but it wasn't meant to be evidently.

I mean there are so many rabbit holes you could go down with on this. You could break it up by band era and years active, you could rename it "other Eagles", you could put them all on one page, etc, but meh, what's the point. It's a headache for little benefit IMO.

I'm good with whatever Soda does.

Glennsallnighter
06-19-2016, 01:27 PM
I agree with Soda. The lineup that finished was Glenn :heart:, Don H, Timothy and Joe. They are the Eagles. Even throughout the HOTE tour Bernie was billed as a 'Special guest' and did not feature on the credits as a full Eagle. He also did not participate in the full show. I would prefer to keep the forum layout as it is. We've had enough change and enough to put up with the last few months.

GlennLover
06-19-2016, 07:33 PM
I think it's fine the way it is too.

Annoying Twit
06-20-2016, 04:55 AM
I think it works fine as it is. I've had no complaints since I created the subforums six years ago when this thread was begun. If the only people complaining are Funk 50 (who loves to cruelly twist the knife about Glenn's death) and Annoying Twit, then I'm not going to bother to change it.

If more invested members think it's a good idea, though, I'll consider making the change.

I wouldn't say I was complaining. I was just expressing an opinion. I don't think any benefit would really be worth making the change.

Brooke
06-20-2016, 01:46 PM
I see no reason to change it either.

Funk 50
06-20-2016, 02:31 PM
... the only people complaining are Funk 50 (who loves to cruelly twist the knife about Glenn's death) and Annoying Twit...

That's a bit naughty Sodascouts! I apologize for any upset caused but it's not intentional. I have a conscience but I have no heart so I've honestly no knowledge of the cruelty you are referring to.

They are all former Eagles now

I think we all agree with Freypower so I'm frankly astonished that the same people that criticize when Schmit is spelt Schmidt, when Henley is said to hail from Linden rather than Gilmer, when a Frey quote is attributed to Henley etc, are quite blase about how the present status of the Eagles is presented on a major Eagles web site. I thought this board was awash with pedants!

In pursuit of credibility and integrity I'd expect the administrators to endeavor to present accurate and up to date information even if, at this moment in time, it's too close to Glenn's death to really matter.

Sorry to criticise, I really appreciate your site but it looks and feels like nobody else cares.

UndertheWire
06-20-2016, 02:52 PM
I don't have a problem either way, though I can see a minor benefit of moving the "Bernie Leadon", "Randy Meinser" and "Don Felder" sub-boards up a level. I would be able to see all the former members listed on the main menu whereas now, I have to click on either "Band Member Discussion Areas" or "Former Eagles" in order to see if there is a post against a specific former member.

However, I'm not sure where threads like this would go if there was no "Former Eagles" sub-board.

But really at this point, who cares?

L101
06-20-2016, 03:26 PM
"Originally Posted by Freypower
They are all former Eagles now"
I think we all agree with Freypower . (Sorry, I don't know how to do a quote within a quote!!)

I think you're assuming a bit too much here F50 - as far as I'm concerned, they are still the Eagles and the others (Randy, Bernie and Don F) are still former Eagles.

I think the board is fine as it is but as UTW said, it would make it easier to see new comments on the former Eagles if they were brought up a level but in the end, it doesn't make that much of a difference.
So lets do as the Eagles do, when something is perfect (which the board is at the moment), stick to it !! :grin:

MaryCalifornia
06-20-2016, 05:01 PM
It would never have occurred to me to change the "Band Member Discussion Areas" from its current format, for any reason. Its current state is as it should be and is for the most part the way the board users use it and want it.

AlreadyGone95
06-20-2016, 05:34 PM
I'll chime in and say that I like the format the way it is.

Freypower
06-20-2016, 06:20 PM
(Sorry, I don't know how to do a quote within a quote!!)

I think you're assuming a bit too much here F50 - as far as I'm concerned, they are still the Eagles and the others (Randy, Bernie and Don F) are still former Eagles.

I think the board is fine as it is but as UTW said, it would make it easier to see new comments on the former Eagles if they were brought up a level but in the end, it doesn't make that much of a difference.
So lets do as the Eagles do, when something is perfect (which the board is at the moment), stick to it !! :grin:

Let me clarify that I agree with this & repeat, despite my 'they are all former Eagles now' comment, that I would not wish to see the format changed.

WalshFan88
06-20-2016, 07:04 PM
The lineup that finished was Glenn :heart:, Don H, Timothy and Joe. They are the Eagles. Even throughout the HOTE tour Bernie was billed as a 'Special guest' and did not feature on the credits as a full Eagle. He also did not participate in the full show.

To me GA it's a level playing field now and they are all Eagles. I feel like the designation is pointless.

I feel like Bernie should have been billed as an Eagle. I mean he was in the band's promotional photos. I feel like he deserved more than just "special guest"....to me everyone that has been in this band is an Eagle and always will be an Eagle. The reason BL didn't play the whole show because for some of that material he wasn't a part of the band. Bernie played on everything he had a part in in their discography live. I felt he deserved more accolades than that and still do.

With all the said, as previously stated - I see no reason to change things. But I also don't put GF, DH, JW, and TBS on a higher pedestal than DF, RM, or BL.

travlnman2
06-20-2016, 08:27 PM
I kinda want them to all be equal like maybe the banner be the photo of them at the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

sodascouts
06-20-2016, 10:07 PM
Thanks to everyone who gave me sincere input.

Travlnmn2, if you find the current banner unsatisfactory, you may choose from a variety of styles in your CP. I've designed one for each era. Hopefully one will be to your liking.

Jonny Come Lately
06-21-2016, 03:32 AM
I think we all agree with Freypower so I'm frankly astonished that the same people that criticize when Schmit is spelt Schmidt, when Henley is said to hail from Linden rather than Gilmer, when a Frey quote is attributed to Henley etc, are quite blase about how the present status of the Eagles is presented on a major Eagles web site. I thought this board was awash with pedants!

In pursuit of credibility and integrity I'd expect the administrators to endeavor to present accurate and up to date information even if, at this moment in time, it's too close to Glenn's death to really matter.

I don't see how any of the examples you quoted count as pedantry. If people correcting errors bothers you to such an extent, then why did you recently correct NOLA in the One of These Nights thread? Her statement that the album was unique in having five lead vocalists was perfectly accurate in terms of the released albums.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1747&page=20

Soda and the other moderators have done so much good and worked so hard for this board, they have spent many years taking it from nowhere to the success that it is today, and all you do is criticise them. I think they might be more inclined to listen to your point if you didn't call people names and make other posters look bad.

Annoying Twit
06-21-2016, 05:46 AM
Just as a personal comment, I welcome the pedantic correction of my errors. I welcome corrections of factual matters, spelling, grammar, etc. I personally prefer to fix such minor errors, rather than continue repeating them because people are being polite.

Funk 50
06-21-2016, 06:07 AM
Soda and the other moderators have done so much good and worked so hard for this board, they have spent many years taking it from nowhere to the success that it is today, and all you do is criticise them. I think they might be more inclined to listen to your point if you didn't call people names and make other posters look bad.

I totally agree with the first sentence, Jonny Come Lately but I think it's a bit unfair to say that all I do is criticize.

I also agree that on a site such as this, pedantry is most welcome. I certainly never inferred that I wasn't one. If anything, I was criticizing the lapse in pedantry.

As long as the hosts are, as much as possible, aware of the consequences of their decision, the outcome isn't a problem with me.

I'm very pleased to see so many expressing their point of view.

Brooke
06-21-2016, 11:06 AM
I kinda want them to all be equal like maybe the banner be the photo of them at the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

I don't agree that they are all equal. The final four Eagles- Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy stuck together for the last 22 years and they will alway be the final Eagles to me. Bernie was only included in the HotE tour. Felder has been gone for 15 years. Randy has been gone for ?? years. How can anyone think they should be equals? Jmo.

Glennsallnighter
06-21-2016, 12:59 PM
I agree with Brooke. She said it all.

WalshFan88
06-21-2016, 01:33 PM
I don't agree that they are all equal. The final four Eagles- Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy stuck together for the last 22 years and they will alway be the final Eagles to me. Bernie was only included in the HotE tour. Felder has been gone for 15 years. Randy has been gone for ?? years. How can anyone think they should be equals? Jmo.

The final Eagles, yes. But that shouldn't diminish the other 3 and their accomplishments. Some of us prefer the earlier lineups, some prefer later lineups but to me they are all Eagles and they are all equal in terms of the title. I mean the bulk of their work featured the other 3 quite a lot. I certainly prefer their 70s albums to LROOE. To me that record didn't seem very "Eagle-y" as far as the sound, but I know I'm in the minority here. It sounded like a Henley solo record to me. I just feel like it's a bit unfair to DF, RM, and BL to say they aren't equal just because they were in the last incarnation of the band. That's all. To me the Eagles will always include Don Felder as part of their best work. Others might prefer the original 4 and the first two records. It's all good. To me it isn't about time served, it's about the accomplishments and what they brought to the music no matter how long they were in the band. I feel like some people would have seen any show billed as "Eagles" as long as GF and DH were there with any old backing band and would have been happy. That bugs me. The other guys count too. The band wouldn't be where it is today without Joe Walsh, Don Felder, Timothy B. Schmit, Randy Meisner, and Bernie Leadon. All are important.

travlnman2
06-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Hey I appreciate every lineup and even Steuart Smith who is a great Nashville player I wish he had more original guitar parts so I couldn't be more biased to Felder because that's the parts he played MORE then LOOE.

WalshFan88
06-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Hey I appreciate every lineup and even Steuart Smith who is a great Nashville player I wish he had more original guitar parts so I couldn't be more biased to Felder because that's the parts he played MORE then LOOE.

I love Steuart, don't get me wrong but he's not Don Felder. He could copy the licks verbatim but it still didn't have that Felder signature style or tone. Don Felder's sound was sorely missed for me on LROOE. Steuart's an excellent player but playing Felder's licks I prefer the original, lol.

Freypower
06-21-2016, 06:16 PM
The final Eagles, yes. But that shouldn't diminish the other 3 and their accomplishments. Some of us prefer the earlier lineups, some prefer later lineups but to me they are all Eagles and they are all equal in terms of the title. I mean the bulk of their work featured the other 3 quite a lot. I certainly prefer their 70s albums to LROOE. To me that record didn't seem very "Eagle-y" as far as the sound, but I know I'm in the minority here. It sounded like a Henley solo record to me. I just feel like it's a bit unfair to DF, RM, and BL to say they aren't equal just because they were in the last incarnation of the band. That's all. To me the Eagles will always include Don Felder as part of their best work. Others might prefer the original 4 and the first two records. It's all good. To me it isn't about time served, it's about the accomplishments and what they brought to the music no matter how long they were in the band. I feel like some people would have seen any show billed as "Eagles" as long as GF and DH were there with any old backing band and would have been happy. That bugs me. The other guys count too. The band wouldn't be where it is today without Joe Walsh, Don Felder, Timothy B. Schmit, Randy Meisner, and Bernie Leadon. All are important.

On which Glenn Frey sang half the tracks. If you want to talk about vocal distribution LROOE was a bit more balanced than your beloved HC album was.

This is not about being 'equal'. It was about who the members of the last lineup were at the time the band effectively split.

Freypower
06-21-2016, 06:19 PM
I totally agree with the first sentence, Jonny Come Lately but I think it's a bit unfair to say that all I do is criticize.

I also agree that on a site such as this, pedantry is most welcome. I certainly never inferred that I wasn't one. If anything, I was criticizing the lapse in pedantry.

As long as the hosts are, as much as possible, aware of the consequences of their decision, the outcome isn't a problem with me.

I'm very pleased to see so many expressing their point of view.

What are these 'consequences' of which you speak?

WalshFan88
06-21-2016, 07:00 PM
On which Glenn Frey sang half the tracks. If you want to talk about vocal distribution LROOE was a bit more balanced than your beloved HC album was.

This is not about being 'equal'. It was about who the members of the last lineup were at the time the band effectively split.

I was referring to Brooke's comment about them not being equal which I disagree with.

I wasn't talking about vocal participation GF vs DH. I was talking about the fact that the songs lyrically sounded like something Henley would sing on his solo record. A lot of complaining, too serious topics (frankly boring), and being rebellious against whoever in typical Henley fashion... The lyric content didn't do much for me outside of How Long, which is an old song. That said, I did dig the songs GF sang more than the DH songs. Again, I can only listen to Henley complaining for so long before my ears get tired.

MaryCalifornia
06-21-2016, 07:38 PM

But that is not the way the world works, in real life. You don't get to hold on to the glory and acclaim and recognition when you leave (or are fired.) You give it up. You lose the claim to the band name and all other trappings when you're no longer a part of it. You are no longer an Eagle and haven't been for a long time. You were in the band for a while and did a good job and many enjoy your songs.

Also, I highly doubt that any of the three former members consider themselves equal to the guys who have stuck it out and toured all these years. Well, Felder might :hilarious:

WalshFan88
06-21-2016, 07:49 PM
But that is not the way the world works, in real life. You don't get to hold on to the glory and acclaim and recognition when you leave (or are fired.) You give it up. You lose the claim to the band name and all other trappings when you're no longer a part of it. You are no longer an Eagle and haven't been for a long time. You were in the band for a while and did a good job and many enjoy your songs.

Also, I highly doubt that any of the three former members consider themselves equal to the guys who have stuck it out and toured all these years. Well, Felder might :hilarious:

I must disagree MC. To me they are all Eagles. As would anyone who had been in the band.

Hence the name of this section. Former EAGLES. Now they are all former Eagles! and if you want, you can just remove the current/former designation - they are all Eagles and have all contributed to this great band. The sum is greater than the parts, even greater than GF/DH vs the rest of the guys.

So lets pretend the Eagles were still touring. Are you really saying that because DF, RM, and BL are no longer in the band they are no longer deserving of recognition for their contributions?

06-21-2016, 11:08 PM
Austin - I'm not trying to speak for MC, but I think she specifically said all the band members deserve credit for their contributions. I totally agree with this part of your post.

... they are all Eagles and have all contributed to this great band. The sum is greater than the parts, even greater than GF/DH vs the rest of the guys.

However, I also agree with what MC and others have said. To me, this is not about equality - it's just that I believe the final incarnation of the band does deserve the designation of 'Eagles' because they were the final four members who stuck it out until the end. I think of it like this - in my adult life I worked for several different companies, all of which I left on my own. When I resigned from those companies, I left my 'employee' status behind, along with all the benefits that I was entitled to as an employee. My contributions I made to these companies did not entitle me to retain my employment status once I terminated my relationship with them.

MaryCalifornia
06-22-2016, 12:59 AM
I had typed this same type of response, Dreamer, but deleted it. I used to work in the front office of an NHL team. But I don't anymore and I'm not considered part of that team and am not spoken of in the same breath with the current staff. I'm not included in events, though I did a good job while I was there and you'll find my signature on some work.

Honestly, if Randy, Felder and Bernie had remained in the band straight through, say, until 2010 or so, even 2006 (ten years ago,) I think Austin's point would be much stronger. It's just that they haven't been a part of it for SO MANY DECADES, their claim isn't as strong. As I said, their contributions stand the test of time and they contributed to the band's strongest work, no doubt. That doesn't mean they enjoy the same current status as the other four.

Eagles7
06-22-2016, 03:26 AM
Well, if you look at the most creative time of the band, and the time when The Eagles really soared to the heights on a new level, you are looking at the years 75-77 . You could really stretch that out, I suppose into 1980, even though they were struggling to put out that last album before the breakup/vacation. They were still touring and appearing before multitudes of fans.

The four founding members got it started, but the band changed significantly in the mid seventies and their popularity increased significantly when they moved from the country rock vibe to more rock oriented. The five members at that time..Don, Glen, Randy, Felder, & Joe created a new and improved and immensely successful Eagles.

Solo careers kept some of the players on the radar...Don particularly, but Classic Rock did as much as anything to keep the beloved Eagles 70s tunes in constant play. Like Glenn said, it's almost like we never went away.

If they hadn't been so good before they went away, I don't think the four remaining Eagles would have been able to sustain a 21 year 2nd chance career like they did. The Eagles' greatness stood and hopefully will always stand the test of time.

WalshFan88
06-22-2016, 03:58 AM
Well, if you look at the most creative time of the band, and the time when The Eagles really soared to the heights on a new level, you are looking at the years 75-77 . You could really stretch that out, I suppose into 1980, even though they were struggling to put out that last album before the breakup/vacation. They were still touring and appearing before multitudes of fans.

The four founding members got it started, but the band changed significantly in the mid seventies and their popularity increased significantly when they moved from the country rock vibe to more rock oriented. The five members at that time..Don, Glen, Randy, Felder, & Joe created a new and improved and immensely successful Eagles.

Solo careers kept some of the players on the radar...Don particularly, but Classic Rock did as much as anything to keep the beloved Eagles 70s tunes in constant play. Like Glenn said, it's almost like we never went away.

If they hadn't been so good before they went away, I don't think the four remaining Eagles would have been able to sustain a 22 year 2nd chance career like they did. The Eagles' greatness stood and hopefully will always stand the test of time.

I so agree!

Not only with their golden era and the fact that Felder and Walsh helped to craft a more rockin' sound that was new and improved but also the fact that classic rock radio kept their music alive.

It kinda bugged me when Glenn said classic rock radio kept the Eagles in peoples heads and then when it came time to talk money (and wanting more for him and DH than DF, JW, and TBS), it was his and DH's solo career that did it. Kind of a contradiction there. IMO, the introduction of Classic Rock/Album Oriented Rock radio is exactly why they were still in the minds of people when the band was inactive. The solo thing helped some, but it was overblown and I think it's a poor reason for wanting more money than the other guys. I'd be more apt to agree with "We deserve more money because we were the main songwriters" than "Our solo careers kept the band alive", which I do not and never will agree with.

Eagles7
06-22-2016, 04:08 AM
Yes, that was a very odd (and blatant) contradiction.

Also, I guess I should have said the 4 Eagles might not have sustained a 15 year 2nd chance career, cause Felder was still with them from 1994-2000.

UndertheWire
06-22-2016, 07:07 AM
There are two separate issues here.

The first is the structure of the board and if you look back to the start of this thread, there was a single board covering Bernie , Randy and Felder and then the sub-boards for each former member were added later. The justification was the amount of traffic and that still holds true with the boards for Glenn, Henley, Joe and Timothy being significantly more active than the other three. At this point, Frey's board is still the most active of all.

The second issue is about how to class all the members, past, present and future and that quickly dissolves into "my Eagle" vs "your Eagle" and that goes nowhere.

My belief (but not knowledge) is "Eagles" still exists as a current (but currently inactive) entity with Henley, Walsh and Schmit as members with the status being similar to how it was during the break. I've no idea if Frey's heirs would be involved. Theoretically, Henley, Walsh and Schmit could continue as "Eagles".

With a marriage, if someone was referred to as "the former husband of..." I would assume there was a divorce. After death, normal usage would be "the late husband of..." However, I doubt anyone wants to see a "Late Eagles" board.

Funk 50
06-22-2016, 09:13 AM
What are these 'consequences' of which you speak?

Having Bernie, Randy and Don (F) in a separate sub-forum labeled Former Eagles, alongside Glenn, Don, Joe and Tim, who are now also Former Eagles is journalistic-ally problematic. I'd say it was inaccurate.

Just like a news report, any inaccuracy or lack of clarity has the potential to damage the credibility of the website.

It's not about the importance of the individual members. We have the original quartet, the critically acclaimed Hotel California line up, the arguably, most lucrative, post HFO line up and now we have, as Brooke correctly labeled them, the "Final Eagles" (unless Hell Freezes Over a second time :shock:). They are all now, very likely permanent, "Former Eagles".

The Eagles changed line-ups almost every album, I don't think the final Eagles have anymore relevance than any of the other line ups.

Glenn and Don (H) are the permanent members, the other 5 came and went, plus there are a lot of other major contributors who could also claim billing in the story.

At this point, I think it would be picky to distinguish the contributions of Bernie, Randy, Joe, Tim and Don Felder, ignoring the negativity that Felder heightened. :|

As the first post of a page, I like to at least post a quote from the previous page. On this occasions there are many opinions that were posted as I was struggling to compose this one, that I'm sure you'll find well worth turning the page for. :smile:

Brooke
06-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Having Bernie, Randy and Don (F) in a separate sub-forum labeled Former Eagles, alongside Glenn, Don, Joe and Tim, who are now also Former Eagles is journalistic-ally problematic. I'd say it was inaccurate.

Just like a news report, any inaccuracy or lack of clarity has the potential to damage the credibility of the website.

It's not about the importance of the individual members. We have the original quartet, the critically acclaimed Hotel California line up, the arguably, most lucrative, post HFO line up and now we have, as Brooke correctly labeled them, the "Final Eagles" (unless Hell Freezes Over a second time :shock:). They are all now, very likely permanent, "Former Eagles".

The Eagles changed line-ups almost every album, I don't think the final Eagles have anymore relevance than any of the other line ups.

Glenn and Don (H) are the permanent members, the other 5 came and went, plus there are a lot of other major contributors who could also claim billing in the story.

At this point, I think it would be picky to distinguish the contributions of Bernie, Randy, Joe, Tim and Don Felder, ignoring the negativity that Felder heightened. :|

As the first post of a page, I like to at least post a quote from the previous page. On this occasions there are many opinions that were posted as I was struggling to compose this one, that I'm sure you'll find well worth turning the page for. :smile:

And that is where I disagree with you. They do have more relevance because they just came off of a major tour and had been planning to do more. And it didn't sound like the line up would be changing for that. These final four guys will always be the Eagles for me now. The others came and went and yes, they were an important part, but they weren't there anymore and hadn't been for years. If there were a headline in a newspaper about the Eagles, who would you think of? Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy.

WalshFan88
06-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Those guys might have been in the band the longest, but the bulk of the music that made them who they are today featured most of these other members. Don Felder for sure. These guys wouldn't be anywhere they are today without that music they made with those guys.

To make a comparison, it's like a band touring without most of their other members that left and replacements came in, but their classic stuff featured one or more prior members and so you wouldn't say the band with the replacements were a part of the band and the other members weren't. It's quite frankly silly. You cannot under any circumstance ignore or write over history. And if you do, I find major fault with that. You absolutely have to respect and give the same props to those that came before you to the ones currently carrying the torch.

Their 70s output, what they are known for, featured some of these other members in different periods. Just because LROOE (which doesn't hold up to their 70s stuff IMO and that's why they quit playing most of it on the HOTE tour) featured those 4 doesn't mean that now the other members that helped them make their best music are no longer important or considered a part of the band's history or undeserving of recognition or accolades simply because they left.

When you are riding on the coattails of your earlier music, you can't just ignore the guys who made it who've since left and say they are no longer important or considered "Eagles" in any form. And now, sadly, the former/current/past/present designation is pointless. It'd be like saying the new Lynyrd Skynyrd is Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the other guys are not as important. It's mind boggling to me.

For me, Don Felder will always be an Eagle, and he helped them make some of their best music and that goes for Randy and Bernie too. But I'm used to Don Felder not getting his proper kudos and I can only imagine that Randy and Bernie fans feeling the same at times.

Again, I'm fine with the board layout as it stands. What I'm not so fine with is the looking over of the older musicians who were there for their best music period just because they haven't been in the band. I mean they didn't become well known over LROOE (the last 4), they became known because of the self-titled LP through The Long Run. That's the stuff everyone wants to hear. I know I myself am a hits guy. If I saw a classic rock band and they didn't play their hits and dedicated a chunk of their show to new material I'd be pissed off.

For instance, I just saw Boston in concert. Their guitarist asked the audience if they wanted to hear a new song off of their latest CD, or, an older classic. Everyone wanted to hear their older classic, which ended up being Peace Of Mind. That's why I'm a classic rock fan. Because today's rock n' roll music (even by classic bands) does nothing for me. Of course they want to hear the songs that made them and were platinum sellers. Not this new junk that doesn't even sound like them. Am I a fuddy duddy? Sure. I'll own it proudly. I'm a stick in the mud, but I'm a stick in the mud listening to the music that made those bands and that is way better than their newer material in most people's opinion. Most of these classic bands making new music RARELY gets to be in the same arena as their classic output. End of. It's just the facts.

Anywho, I'm done chasing my own tail here. Obviously there are some who won't see it from my perspective because they are stuck on their own, and no one is going to convince me otherwise so it's the same. After a while you've got to throw up your hands and realize you are going in circles lol. But I feel I had to speak up.

sodascouts
06-22-2016, 03:47 PM
There are two separate issues here.

The first is the structure of the board and if you look back to the start of this thread, there was a single board covering Bernie , Randy and Felder and then the sub-boards for each former member were added later. The justification was the amount of traffic and that still holds true with the boards for Glenn, Henley, Joe and Timothy being significantly more active than the other three. At this point, Frey's board is still the most active of all.

Right. While I understand that technically they are all "former Eagles" now, that does not change the lack of traffic for Leadon, Felder, and Meisner which is why they have not each gotten a top-level forum yet.

sodascouts
06-22-2016, 03:52 PM
PS Honestly, I cannot imagine calling Glenn a "former Eagle." It just doesn't feel right.

PPS Sometimes I envy Fleetwood Mac fanboards. Nobody thinks all 16 people who have been members should have their own top-level forums!

WalshFan88
06-22-2016, 03:59 PM
PS Honestly, I cannot imagine calling Glenn a "former Eagle." It just doesn't feel right.

And I totally agree with that. Which I why I suggest dropping the former/current/past/present/early/later/longest lasting member designation for all of them.

Freypower
06-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Those guys might have been in the band the longest, but the bulk of the music that made them who they are today featured most of these other members. Don Felder for sure. These guys wouldn't be anywhere they are today without that music they made with those guys.

To make a comparison, it's like a band touring without most of their other members that left and replacements came in, but their classic stuff featured one or more prior members and so you wouldn't say the band with the replacements were a part of the band and the other members weren't. It's quite frankly silly. You cannot under any circumstance ignore or write over history. And if you do, I find major fault with that. You absolutely have to respect and give the same props to those that came before you to the ones currently carrying the torch.

Their 70s output, what they are known for, featured some of these other members in different periods. Just because LROOE (which doesn't hold up to their 70s stuff IMO and that's why they quit playing most of it on the HOTE tour) featured those 4 doesn't mean that now the other members that helped them make their best music are no longer important or considered a part of the band's history or undeserving of recognition or accolades simply because they left.

When you are riding on the coattails of your earlier music, you can't just ignore the guys who made it who've since left and say they are no longer important or considered "Eagles" in any form. And now, sadly, the former/current/past/present designation is pointless. It'd be like saying the new Lynyrd Skynyrd is Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the other guys are not as important. It's mind boggling to me.

For me, Don Felder will always be an Eagle, and he helped them make some of their best music and that goes for Randy and Bernie too. But I'm used to Don Felder not getting his proper kudos and I can only imagine that Randy and Bernie fans feeling the same at times.

Again, I'm fine with the board layout as it stands. What I'm not so fine with is the looking over of the older musicians who were there for their best music period just because they haven't been in the band. I mean they didn't become well known over LROOE (the last 4), they became known because of the self-titled LP through The Long Run. That's the stuff everyone wants to hear. I know I myself am a hits guy. If I saw a classic rock band and they didn't play their hits and dedicated a chunk of their show to new material I'd be pissed off.

For instance, I just saw Boston in concert. Their guitarist asked the audience if they wanted to hear a new song off of their latest CD, or, an older classic. Everyone wanted to hear their older classic, which ended up being Peace Of Mind. That's why I'm a classic rock fan. Because today's rock n' roll music (even by classic bands) does nothing for me. Of course they want to hear the songs that made them and were platinum sellers. Not this new junk that doesn't even sound like them. Am I a fuddy duddy? Sure. I'll own it proudly. I'm a stick in the mud, but I'm a stick in the mud listening to the music that made those bands and that is way better than their newer material in most people's opinion. Most of these classic bands making new music RARELY gets to be in the same arena as their classic output. End of. It's just the facts.

Anywho, I'm done chasing my own tail here. Obviously there are some who won't see it from my perspective because they are stuck on their own, and no one is going to convince me otherwise so it's the same. After a while you've got to throw up your hands and realize you are going in circles lol. But I feel I had to speak up.

We are talking about the Border, not the Eagles themselves. The Border does NOT ignore the former members.

The structure was set up to reflect the amount of activity. It had nothing to do with any 'snub' to the former members. They are not being 'overlooked' but the fact is that in terms of musical activity, the only one of them who has released any new material recently is Felder. Meisner would appear to be retired & Leadon doesn't appear to have plans to release new music.

Just to keep saying that it's all about the 70s & current activity should not count seems to me to overstate the case. The Border is about solo careers, not just the Eagles, which is another reason why the final lineup have more prominence. As for your belief that Felder will always be an Eagle, I disagree. He ceased to be an Eagle in 2001.

As for F50's comment about 'accuracy' this is a fan site & I repeat reflects the status of the members at the time the band ceased to exist. Hence I find it accurate.

WalshFan88
06-22-2016, 07:35 PM
We are talking about the Border, not the Eagles themselves. The Border does NOT ignore the former members.

The structure was set up to reflect the amount of activity. It had nothing to do with any 'snub' to the former members. They are not being 'overlooked' but the fact is that in terms of musical activity, the only one of them who has released any new material recently is Felder. Meisner would appear to be retired & Leadon doesn't appear to have plans to release new music.

Just to keep saying that it's all about the 70s & current activity should not count seems to me to overstate the case. The Border is about solo careers, not just the Eagles, which is another reason why the final lineup have more prominence. As for your belief that Felder will always be an Eagle, I disagree. He ceased to be an Eagle in 2001.

As for F50's comment about 'accuracy' this is a fan site & I repeat reflects the status of the members at the time the band ceased to exist. Hence I find it accurate.

I'm not talking about the structure of the site. I don't care about that. I realize those get less web views and therefore it makes sense.

I'll leave the rest for others to discuss. But I did want to clarify I'm totally fine with the site's layout. It was the comments I was commenting on.

Eagles7
06-23-2016, 04:56 AM
Walsh Fan88, I think we have similar viewpoints on the status of all seven Eagles and their contributions. It's kinda like, Can you really say it's Journey when Steve Perry's gone?

I would not be presumptuous enough to tell the site creators and moderators how to set up posts on the site. As long as all links are easily accessible, I don't see any problems with current set up.

Funk 50
06-23-2016, 08:02 AM
And that is where I disagree with you. They do have more relevance because they just came off of a major tour and had been planning to do more. And it didn't sound like the line up would be changing for that. These final four guys will always be the Eagles for me now. The others came and went and yes, they were an important part, but they weren't there anymore and hadn't been for years. If there were a headline in a newspaper about the Eagles, who would you think of? Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy.

Bernie Leadon was on the tour. Scott Crago, Steuart Smith and a bunch of others were too. Randy would've been if he was willing and able.

At the end of the last show Glenn gave Bernie a hug and told him "this is not the end" How can you say, Bernie wasn't there anymore?

I don't think of Glenn, Don, Joe and Tim as the Eagles. I see the Eagles as faceless. A band of musicians depending on which track is playing. Some tracks on Long Road Out Of Eden heavily featured Smith and Hollis, I'm sure Joe Walsh is absent on some tracks. I don't know about a newspaper headline.

On a point of pedantry, Bernie and Randy didn't come and go, they were there at the beginning.

this is a fan site & I repeat reflects the status of the members at the time the band ceased to exist.

That's news to me :headscratch:

I understand anybody being unable to call Glenn a "Former Eagle" so soon after his death but the fact is, it's the accurate description. :sad:

Brooke
06-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Bernie Leadon was on the tour. Scott Crago, Steuart Smith and a bunch of others were too. Randy would've been if he was willing and able.

At the end of the last show Glenn gave Bernie a hug and told him "this is not the end" How can you say, Bernie wasn't there anymore?

I don't think of Glenn, Don, Joe and Tim as the Eagles. I see the Eagles as faceless. A band of musicians depending on which track is playing. Some tracks on Long Road Out Of Eden heavily featured Smith and Hollis, I'm sure Joe Walsh is absent on some tracks. I don't know about a newspaper headline.

On a point of pedantry, Bernie and Randy didn't come and go, they were there at the beginning.

That's news to me :headscratch:

I understand anybody being unable to call Glenn a "Former Eagle" so soon after his death but the fact is, it's the accurate description. :sad:

The only thing I can say about Bernie is he was on the last tour as a special guest and yes, it was very enjoyable and Glenn told him there would be more. But as far as we know he was never asked to become an Eagle again though. Scott, Steuart, and the others have never been Eagles although they do make a huge contribution. I dare say if you asked one of them if they were in the Eagles, they would say they work for the Eagles.

Faceless Eagles? Sorry, I can't even imagine a faceless Eagles. These four have been there for too long and are ingrained in my mind as the band.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. Every one has their own opinion about who the Eagles are.

travlnman2
06-23-2016, 11:29 AM
The final four are very similar to the First 4 IMHO.