PDA

View Full Version : Longbranch Pennywhistle

Scarlet Sun
05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
When they were together, how often do you think people - probably girls - came up to JD and Glenn and asked them "which one of you is Longbranch and which one of you is Pennywhistle?"

sodascouts
05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
LOL Good question!

bernie's bender
05-10-2010, 05:48 PM
according to linda, JD is longbranch.:thumbsup:

Scarlet Sun
05-10-2010, 05:58 PM
according to linda, JD is longbranch.:thumbsup:
Is there a specific quote? That's what I figured, on account of J.D.'s reputation as a very successful ladies' man as well as Robert Christgau's review of The Long Run: http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=The+Eagles

sodascouts
05-10-2010, 06:03 PM
How would Robert Christgau know? Hmm!

Ah well, it's just a name, and for all we know, the phallic connotations are unintentional.

bernie's bender
05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Is there a specific quote? That's what I figured, on account of J.D.'s reputation as a very successful ladies' man as well as Robert Christgau's review of The Long Run: http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=The+Eagles

it was an off hand comment LR made in person.

As for Christgau knowing... some stuff is just kind of 'institutional knowledge'... the rock'n'roll community is pretty small and very incestuous... so, just being backstage or around studios people are catty and laugh about stuff like that....

JD might be longbranch, but he ain't no Huey Lewis or anything!

Ive always been a dreamer
05-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Well - maybe JD and Glenn introduced themselves to the audience at their shows ...

Glenn: "Hi, I'm Longbranch"

JD: "and I'm Pennywhistle"

And then, just for grins the next night they switch up and JD would be Longbranch, and Glenn would be Pennywhistle. You know just to keep everyone guessing. :lol:

sodascouts
05-10-2010, 09:02 PM
lol! And perhaps to encourage further investigation!

ETA: Oops, I forgot JD was married to Alex Sliwin when they came up with this name... but perhaps he was helping out his buddy. lol