PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Sensations

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Prettymaid
08-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Great seats Molly! Great pictures too!

TimothyBFan
08-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Molly that is so AWESOME!!!! You know Jason was one of ours for a very short while! I really liked him!

Molly
08-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Molly that is so AWESOME!!!! You know Jason was one of ours for a very short while! I really liked him!

That's right! He did have a brief stint in Chicago.

He was catching literally right below me. Hubby said, "Wow! You're right on top of Jason Kendall". I turned around with a big grin on my face. My son said, "Mom, whatever just went thru your mind, it's completely inappropriate and I'm shocked and embarrassed." I told him "You should be!" :heybaby::heybaby:

He's a free agent after this year. Local papers have him on the short list to be leaving us after this season. I'll be very disappointed. Going to have to get the MLB package on satellite TV so I can watch him play wherever he ends up.

Hubby put his name in for box seat tickets for tonight's game thru his company and he got them so we're going again tonight! Our seats are 2 rows above the visitor's dugout. I'm getting spoiled by these great seats!

If the weather cooporates (it's suddenly turned into November here) we'll tailgate before the game.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-29-2009, 12:54 PM
He was catching literally right below me. Hubby said, "Wow! You're right on top of Jason Kendall". I turned around with a big grin on my face. My son said, "Mom, whatever just went thru your mind, it's completely inappropriate and I'm shocked and embarrassed." I told him "You should be!" :heybaby::heybaby:

Spoken like the true awesome mother you are, Molly! :hilarious:

And congratulations on getting some great seats lately to see the boys of summer. Hmmm - I wonder if Ditka can work his magic to get some of these awesome freebie seats for you and some of your fellow Border friends when 'you know who' announces some more dates! :thumbsup:

Molly
08-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Spoken like the true awesome mother you are, Molly! :hilarious:

And congratulations on getting some great seats lately to see the boys of summer. Hmmm - I wonder if Ditka can work his magic to get some of these awesome freebie seats for you and some of your fellow Border friends when 'you know who' announces some more dates! :thumbsup:

We'll gladly get our hands on tickets if that happens.

Last night's game was great. My boy had an awesome night going 2 for 3 at the plate with a stolen base and he threw out an opponent trying to steal second. He was even named "player of the game"!

Near the end of the game, the crowd started booing loudly. Everyone was looking around (including the players). Turns out, there was a guy in the crowd wearing a Brett Favre Minnesota Vikings jersy. The crowd started chanting "Traitor! Traitor!"

Guy had guts, I'll say that for him!

TimothyBFan
08-31-2009, 08:52 AM
That's funny Molly. I guess now we know how the people of Wisconsin feel about Mr Favre's "retirement". I just don't get it myself! I've lost a bit of respect for him the last couple of years because it the whole thing also.

Molly, I've been meaning to ask you. Craig Counsell is still with your team also isn't he? He was born just a few miles from where I am. Not an outstanding player but I've always liked him. And what about Damian Miller? Since he retired, does he ever show up at games? I loved him when he was a Cub and then tried to keep up with his career when he became a Brewer. Was always glad when the Cubs/Brewers games rolled around so I could see him play again.

Molly
08-31-2009, 05:52 PM
That's funny Molly. I guess now we know how the people of Wisconsin feel about Mr Favre's "retirement". I just don't get it myself! I've lost a bit of respect for him the last couple of years because it the whole thing also.

Molly, I've been meaning to ask you. Craig Counsell is still with your team also isn't he? He was born just a few miles from where I am. Not an outstanding player but I've always liked him. And what about Damian Miller? Since he retired, does he ever show up at games? I loved him when he was a Cub and then tried to keep up with his career when he became a Brewer. Was always glad when the Cubs/Brewers games rolled around so I could see him play again.

I don't know what happened to Damien Miller. He was fun to watch. I'll have to ask my husband who keeps up with past players.

We love Craig Counsell! I knew he was an Indiana boy by birth, but apparently he grew up in Whitefish Bay, WI (a suburb of Milwaukee) so he's an "adopted" cheesehead. He's having an amazing year both offensively (batting in the 280's-until recently he was batting right around 300) and defensively.

We're lucky to have him coming off of the bench, and with the injury we had to our starting 2B (Ricky Weeks), Craig has played nearly every day. Plus, he's such a great leader for our team since we're a relatively young bunch. I believe he was the "player of the game" again yesterday.

Apparently, I was shown on TV quite a bit the other night (thank goodness I didn't know that). I wonder if it was because I had my Kendall jersey on and he was having such an outstanding game.

Anyway, we sat in the row in this order: hubby, our friend Greg, his wife Cheryl, and me. On the other side of me was another guy-a Pirate's fan so of course, I mostly ignored him.

We've been getting phone calls and e-mails from family and friends saying they saw me on TV -but who was that guy I was with? :hilarious:

Molly
10-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm bummed that baseball in Milwaukee is over until 2010. 6 months without my "boys of summer". It's gonna be rough. Hubby and I went to fan appreciation night last week Saturday and we were rewarded with a "walk off" home run by Ryan Braun in the bottom of the 9th to beat the World Champs -Philadelpihia Philies. (Sorry, Karen Z!)

We got some great pictures.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/DSC_0055.jpg

Our seats were right behind home plate-and my favorite player is the catcher! Doesn't get better than that!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/DSC_0174.jpg
I love this picture of Trevor Hoffmann because of the sign in the background. West Bend is my home town!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/DSC_0191.jpg

Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder "boxing" one another after Ryan's game winning home run!

TimothyBFan
10-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Molly-I'm feeling your pain!!! Thank goodness I also love football so I still have Notre Dame and Da Bears to keep me going till after the first of the year, then it's a dry spell until spring training. I do try to catch some hockey at that time of the year tho.

Peekaboo
10-08-2009, 04:54 PM
As much as I love college football, It hasn't been as fun to watch my favorite team (Oklahoma Sooners) so far this year. They lost their first game of the season and then came back to shut out their next 2 opponents then they just lost to Miami last saturday. We've been without our Heisman Trophy winning quarterback and our All-American tight end. It's hard for a Sooner fan to see their team at 2-2. We've got a long road ahead of us if we want to make it back to a BCS game at then end of the season. Hopefully we'll have our starting QB back by the time we face Texas next saturday. OU/Texas is one of the biggest rivalry in college football. It'll be an exciting game.

Brooke
10-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm very depressed. My Cardinals have lost their first 2 games in the play offs. :sad: Their second best pitcher had it won and we lost in the 9th. :fear:

TimothyBFan
10-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm very depressed. My Cardinals have lost their first 2 games in the play offs. :sad: Their second best pitcher had it won and we lost in the 9th. :fear:

Playoffs? What are the playoffs of which you speak of? :eyebrow:

Brooke
10-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Playoffs? What are the playoffs of which you speak of? :eyebrow:

Willie, right now I'm feeling your pain. :-(

Molly
10-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Game winning single by former Brewer Mark Loretta! The guy who hit the
only foul ball I have ever acquired from a game!

eaglesvet
10-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Disclaimer: First of all, although I love baseball, I personally have had no real allegiance to any team for years. I just wanted to post this more for informational purposes, to let you know what the "spirit" here in the Garden State is currently.

They are calling this World Series between the Yanks and the Phillies "The Turnpike Series", basically for the bragging rights of NJ. If you grew up in north Jersey and got NYC TV, you were a Yankees (or Mets :-() fan, and if you grew up in south Jersey and got Philadelphia TV, you were a Phillies fan. (Only one of many differences attributed to the little known but very real Jersey 'Mason-Dixon' line :wink:).

Growing up, my brother was a Yankees fan, therefore so was I. Besides, they had HSG players like Bucky Dent. My mom, for whatever reason, was a Bosox fan, so that made things very interesting in our household. Actually, although it's blasphemous, I liked Boston as well-- just the Yankees more! My dad didn't really care for baseball :brickwall:.

Back to today...I gather most of the rest of the country isn't that excited about the two teams about to play in the Series. But I'm going to hazard a guess...since the Yankees are the team that everyone LOVES to HATE, are most people rooting for the Phillies?

Of course, here in NJ, if you are a Mets fan (like my hubby), you pretty much stopped watching baseball in July...and cannot wait for this season to end! Apparently, it's torture at the water cooler at work!

Brooke
10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
We pretty much stopped watching baseball after 10/9 when our Cardinals lost.

But if we do happen to tune in for the Series, we'll definitely be for the Phillies. At this point, it's ANYONE but the Yankees! :lol:

TimothyBFan
10-27-2009, 11:18 AM
What is this thing called World Series of which you speak? We quit watching baseball about All Star time (by that time the Cubbies were pretty well done!). We have to go with the National League tho here in the Series. Anyone but the Yankees. Enough already!

eaglesvet
10-27-2009, 08:39 PM
LOL!

10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Well - I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I definitely will be pulling for the Phillies - I'm like most people outside of New York ... enough already of those Yankees.

Now, about my favorite sport - football ... this can be one frustrating game!!! My team, the Miami Dolphins, had a 24 - 3 lead at halftime on Sunday, but ended up losing the game 46 - 34. :shrug: :stunned: :brickwall:

Freypower
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
The draw for the World Cup was announced this morning. The groups are:

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece

Group C: England, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D: Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia

Group E: Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark

Group F: Italy (holder), New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

Group H: Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland.

Our group is difficult. Germany have won the World Cup three times. I can see Koala, EF & myself perhaps having some interesting discussions next year!

And look at Group C: You Americans and Brits are going to enjoy this.... on paper it looks fairly easy for England, but I'm sure the Americans won't think that.

There isn't really a 'Group Of Death' but B & G look fairly even. On the face of it Argentina, Italy and Spain will be fairly happy. Group E I am unsure about.

Koala
12-05-2009, 04:00 AM

When I saw the draw I was very pleased! Germany vs Australia that becomes very interesting.
In this game, I have a clear favorite ................ namely, Australia! I hope the Australians win or get at least an undecided. I will sit with my Australian jersey and scarf in front of the TV and hope for the best.

Freypower
12-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Koala, I know you have an interest in Australia but surely you don't want to see them beat your own country?

Koala
12-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Koala, I know you have an interest in Australia but surely you don't want to see them beat your own country?

:nod: Sure, I would be pleased really much about a victory of Australia! I've always been a big fan from Australia, earlier, I collected everything that had to do with Australia, I have of the German team, no fan articles , like a jersey or something. When Germany is playing against Denmark, I'm for Denmark, of this team I have also the jersey. I never was a Fan from the german teams equal what for a sport.

Prettymaid
12-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Ahhh, the lights, the music, the atmosphere, it's my favorite time of year...college basketball season! :hilarious:

Hubby and I have been fortunate and have attended two home games of my beloved Illinois Fighting Illini.
Yesterday we took the camera. Here is a good shot of the team practicing before the game.
BTW, we beat Western Michigan 88-53.

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Illini%20Basketball/DSC01131.jpg

EagleLady
01-10-2010, 09:02 PM
The Ravens really crushed The Patriots today. and Green Bay and Arizona went to overtime and Arizona Wins with A touchdown!!!! :thumbsup:

eaglesvet
01-11-2010, 01:20 AM
LET'S GO JETS!!

Glennsallnighter
01-11-2010, 04:14 AM

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece

Group C: England, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Group E: Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark

Group F: Italy (holder), New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

Group H: Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland.

Our group is difficult. Germany have won the World Cup three times. I can see Koala, EF & myself perhaps having some interesting discussions next year!

And look at Group C: You Americans and Brits are going to enjoy this.... on paper it looks fairly easy for England, but I'm sure the Americans won't think that.

There isn't really a 'Group Of Death' but B & G look fairly even. On the face of it Argentina, Italy and Spain will be fairly happy. Group E I am unsure about.

I only saw this now FP as my intenet played up a lot towards the end of last year. I would say you are pretty accurate in your summary. As regards group E I would definitely sat Netherlands and then possibly Denmark, although Cameroon have always been tough cookies to break. Probably whichever of Cameroon and Denmark that wins their game.

TimothyBFan
01-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Molly, Molly, Molly :worried: I was really thinking of your family during that game last night. I thought for sure they were going to win and was really rooting for them especially after coming from behind like they did. That Aaron Rodgers is going to be something!!! Never the less, it was a great game even tho the outcome wasn't what many Packers fans wanted.

Peekaboo
01-11-2010, 09:24 AM
The Ravens really crushed The Patriots today.

They most certainly did!! :thumbsup: I've mentioned before that a friend of mine plays for the Ravens and I sure hope that they get to go the Super Bowl this year. They were so close last year. Go Ravens!!

I'm finally getting around to posting this. I meant to do it last week. This is amazing. You don't see the backboard shatter like this everyday, let alone from a college freshman. Btw, GO SOONERS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDDJ2-9h7EY

Prettymaid
01-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Willie, I was thinking about you down there in Bloomington as I watched Illinois come from behind to beat Indiana 66-60!

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Illini%20Basketball/Illinois2IndianaBaskHoem3.jpg

01-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Yep - I suspect Molly is currently in mourning ... it is so disappointing to lose a game that way after such a great comeback. Hang in there, Molly!

Molly
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm more miffed than upset. The last 2 plays of the game (helmet to helmet contact with our quaterback-15 yards and a 1st down- last play of the game -blatant facemask to our quarterback -15 yards and a 1st down) But, like a local talking head said this morning-complaining about missed calls means you're a sore loser.

Really, they didn't deserve to win since the defense decided not to show up. But then again, same could be said about Arizona!

We have the youngest team in the NFL -we'll be back! And our A-Rod (Aaron Rodgers) is turning into an amazing quarterback! Love him!

So...Now I'll cheer for Dallas and Burlington Wisconsin's Tony Romo. GO BOYEES!!!!

EagleLady
01-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Well, Minnesota sure has crushed Dallas today which is what I hoped for. :headbang:

EagleLady
01-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Well the Jets move on to Indianapolis. I am hoping for The Colts and Saints to make it to the Superbowl

eaglesvet
01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Whoa no there missy, you beat me here...but the word on the street here is...
LET'S GO JETS!!!
(I really like that Mark Sanchez...)

TimothyBFan
01-17-2010, 09:25 PM
And to think he's just a rookie EV---Great future ahead of him I'd say.

Sorry tho EV and Cami--I want it to be Colts and Vikings and COLTS all the way baby!!!!

The announcers are always talking about Peyton Manning and Bret Favre so Larry has come up with a new drinking game if they both make it to the SB--every time an announcer says one of their names you take a drink but he figures whoever plays will be completely smashed before the end of the 1st quarter. :lol:

Peekaboo
01-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Well, since the Ravens have been knocked out and now the Cowboys are out too, I'm going for the Vikings. I like Peyton Manning but I gotta go for the Vikings and cheer on Adrian Peterson (former Oklahoma Sooner) and I've always liked Brett Favre. Plus, (and yes i'm being a little shallow here) Favre is HOT!!

eaglesvet
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Sanchez is hotter!:inlove:;)

TimothyBFan
01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
And about what? 12 years old!:heybaby::lol:

eaglesvet
01-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Uhhh...Yup!:hilarious: (Maybe 25?)

EagleLady
01-24-2010, 08:04 PM
The Colts Are going to the Super Bowl. Now waiting for their opponent, Hopefully it'll be New Orleans, but I'll be happy if Minnesota Makes it.

eaglesvet
01-24-2010, 08:12 PM
:sigh::depressed: Better luck next year to the Jets...

sodascouts
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
GO INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EagleLady
01-25-2010, 12:08 AM
It's official. Indianapolis vs. New Orleans for the Superbowl. Go Saints!!!

Wildthyme
01-25-2010, 04:22 AM
GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TimothyBFan
01-25-2010, 07:51 AM
GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooke
01-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Colts here, too! Go guys!

Freypower
01-26-2010, 12:13 AM
All I can say to this is I never thought I'd have a chance to wear my New Orleans Saints tie dye T shirt on Super Bowl day and now I will. :angel: (the angel is the closest I can get to a saint).

EagleLady
02-07-2010, 10:58 PM
The Saints did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :partytime: Whoo Hoo!!!!

Freypower
02-08-2010, 02:06 AM
I'm very happy (as I said, I'm wearing my Saints T shirt) - this will be great for the city. :angel:

02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Congratulations to the World Champion

New Orleans Saints!!!

on your first Super Bowl appearance and victory! What a very inspiring performance by a team that was a huge underdog. I know your team and the people of New Orleans will savor this victory in the weeks and months to come.

eaglesvet
02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Even though I know we have a lot o' Indy folks here...

HOW COULD YA NOT LOVE DA SAINTS??:headbang:
I never knew anything about them nor Drew Brees until the pregame show, and now I'm a FAN! What a special story Drew had, only to be eclipsed by leading his team to the win...WOW! I saw him on David Letterman last night, and what a charming personality he has. He's bound to go far in his quest to raise New Orleans back up to her former glory. He and his wife are so charitable, from what I've heard. And his little boy...how cute is he? Some scrapbook he's going to have to look back on when he's older!

sodascouts
02-15-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm watching the Olympics now - anyone else? The figure skating was beautiful, although there were some falls - it's always hard to see the disappointment in the faces of those who fell, although if the commentators are right, the judges were generous with the scores.

And I have to say... I still feel very proud when I hear the United States national anthem played at a medal ceremony. Go Hannah Kearney, the first American gold medalist in the Vancouver 2010 winter games!

eaglesvet
02-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I've always loved to watch the Olympics, ever since I was a kid. I realized, when they were listing the sequential Winter Olympics during the Opening Ceremonies when the snowboarder was traversing the Canadian mounts, that I can actually remember parts of the Sapporo Olympics from 1972 (when I was 11), so I have been a long-time fan. Now, my kids are hooked as well, which is great.
I loved all of the coverage from Canada...what a tremendous country! Makes me want to think about moving there...well, at least visiting it again soon! I haven't been there since I was a kid, either.

Now, that sad story of the Georgian luger on day 1...what a vivid reminder of just how dangerous many of these winter sports can be. May he rest in peace.

Troubadour
02-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Congratulations to the Saints!

I love rugby, so I'm in my element at the moment, as the Six Nations is on. England have won their two games so far (even if the last one was a bit ropey!) I just wish I had each weekend off work, so that I could watch every game.

sodascouts
02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Now, that sad story of the Georgian luger on day 1...what a vivid reminder of just how dangerous many of these winter sports can be. May he rest in peace.

Oh, I know, how awful - I think of his family, so happy for him that he was getting to pursue his Olympic dream, then finding out that he died as a result. Horrible. I couldn't watch the news that night because they kept showing his last seconds over and over, and it upset me.

Freypower
02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
That was dreadful. Just incredibly sad.

There isn't much interest in the Winter Olympics down here (no snow....). We have one silver medal and I very much doubt we will win any more. It is no big deal.

Re Australian whining - this sums it up.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/winter-olympics/aocs-graceless-whingeing-an-embarrassment-to-us-all-20100216-o90k.html

Koala
02-17-2010, 01:56 AM
I always love to watch the Olympic Games.This time it is more difficult because of the time difference because the transmission always starts in the evening and go up into the night. When I have to work the next day, I can not always see everything, what I'd like to.

The accident from the Georgian luger on the opening day was really awful.

sodascouts
02-24-2010, 01:16 AM
What an emotional skate for Canadian women's figure skater Joannie Rochette, whose mother died suddenly just two days ago after arriving in Vancouver to watch her daughter compete. Her program tonight was flawless. I got choked up when she left the ice and said, "Merci, maman!" I hope she does as well on the free skate and gets a medal.

Molly
02-24-2010, 11:51 AM
What an emotional skate for Canadian women's figure skater Joannie Rochette, whose mother died suddenly just two days ago after arriving in Vancouver to watch her daughter compete. Her program tonight was flawless. I got choked up when she left the ice and said, "Merci, maman!" I hope she does as well on the free skate and gets a medal.

Heartbreaking. It reminds me of speedskater Dan Jansen (who's from the Milwaukee area) skated just hours after his sister, Jane (who was his biggest cheerleader) passed away from leukemia. He fell. I remember crying watching him sitting on the ice with his face in his hands sobbing.

4 years later (or was it 8 years) he skated again and won the gold medal. He did his victory lap with his baby girl in his arms. Her name is Jane.

sodascouts
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I saw him interviewed before she skated - he said he had sent her an e-mail telling her he understood and that no matter what happened, he knew her mother would have been proud of her. What a moving story. I'm so glad he came back to win the gold, but as he told Joannie, I'm sure his sister would have been proud no matter what.

Freypower
02-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Congratulations to Canada on their hockey gold medal - and according to this, Toronto Maple Leafs fan Neil Young was in attendance!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/01/2832761.htm?section=justin

GlennLover
02-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Yea Canada! It was a great game. Both teams deserve congratulations! They showed Neil Young during the broadcast, as well as William Shatner, Bryan Adams & Michael J Fox. Closing ceremonies start in about 20 minutes. I'll be watching.

GlennLover
02-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Neil Young performed at the ceremonies.

Koala
03-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Congratulations Canada, http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Flaggen/smilie_flag_009.gif it was a great ice hockey game!

GlennLover
03-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Congratulations Canada, http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Flaggen/smilie_flag_009.gif it was a great ice hockey game!

Love the Smilie, Koala!

sodascouts
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I was rooting for the USA, but after seeing the sheer, unadulterated ecstasy on the faces of thousands of Canadians on TV last night, I'm glad they won. They made the celebrations in New Orleans after the Saints won the Superbowl look sedate.

Those closing ceremonies were... interesting. With the dozens of giant inflated beavers, mounties, moose, etc. wheeled in to great fanfare, interspersed with dancing girls dressed up as maple leaves and children dressed up as hockey pucks, I thought that I was watching Canada: The Musical.

eaglesvet
03-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Have to put in a plug for the Cinderella team of the Sweet 16, my undergrad alma mater, the CORNELL BIG RED!! Prior to this season, we had been in the NCAA dance the last 2 years, but never won a game. Thus far, we've beaten better-seeded teams Temple and Wisconsin (each by a good margin), but now it's on to #1 Kentucky on Thursday night in Syracuse. It'll be the closest thing to a home crowd, since the Carrier Dome is only an hour north of Ithaca, but it'll take all the heart and skill this team can muster to beat Kentucky, that's for sure. GO RED! My bro and I are in the alumni lottery to try to get tix to the game...it will be great to be there! I'll let you know if I make it to Syracuse.

Prettymaid
03-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Congratulations to Cornell. Lots of upsets this year!

My Fighting Illini are still in the NIT. They beat Kent State last night 75-58. (Sorry Joe!)

eaglesvet
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I forgot...my OTHER alma mater (for vet school), Ohio State, also made it into the Sweet 16! But their athletic prowess is much more consistently stellar, so it's not so unexpected as Cornell's appearance. GO BUCKS!:partytime:

Prettymaid
03-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Now EV, it's hard for me to root for the Buckeyes after losing to them in double OT in the Big Ten Tournament, but I'll put that aside for now. :wink:
My favorite Illinois player, Dimitri McCamey, played with Evan Turner in high school and has said he's rooting for them to go all the way. If it's good enough for Meechie, it's good enough for me. Besides, I had Kansas going all the way in my bracket...

sodascouts
03-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Purdue got through, too, although ironically to do so it had to beat my other alma mater, Texas A&M (went there for undergrad). Oh well - Boiler Up!

eaglesvet
03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Gig 'em, Soda! My hubby was heartbroken over A&M's loss. He's an Aggie, too (a wee bit before you, I might guess.)

Prettymaid
03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Now Purdue just has to get by Duke...

The_Girl_Of_Summer
03-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Let's GOOOOO Mountaineers!

eaglesvet
03-24-2010, 09:31 AM
WE JUST GOT TIX FOR THE EASTERN SWEET 16 ROUND IN SYRACUSE THURS NIGHT!!! GO CORNELL!! (Too bad it's a 10 pm start, a 4hr ride home, and I have to work the next day...but I told my bro he has to be the designated driver home. Good thing I can sleep through ANYTHING!!)

Prettymaid
03-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Yay EV, you lucky girl!

sodascouts
03-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Have fun!

03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
That is very cool, Eva. Hope you have a great time. As I'm sure you know, a Sweet 16 ticket is not easy to come by!

Troubadour
03-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Have fun, Eva!

Prettymaid
03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Sorry your team lost EV. :-( But if they were going to get beat by anybody at least it was a number 1 seeded team!

eaglesvet
03-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Finally caught up on my sleep from the game and travel time! It was a blast, considering the crowd was about 75-80% Cornellian! Thanks, PM for your sentiments...our team held up reasonably well for as long as could be expected. We actually pulled up to within 6 points of Kentucky with about 5 minutes left in the game, but then let it all fall apart with fouls and (KY) free throws. It was incredible how MASSIVE and LIGHTNING-FAST the Wildcats were...very obviously an echelon above our team in abilities--in fact, almost like pros. They certainly deserved to win, although the everyone was very proud of how the Cornell team played their season this year.

I was kind of surprised that West Virginia beat Kentucky last night...I wouldn't have expected that from the two games I saw on Thursday.

Prettymaid
03-29-2010, 05:26 PM
This has been the year of upsets, hasn't it! I'm now rooting for Michigan State, the only team from the Big 10 left. Go Spartans!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
I was kind of surprised that West Virginia beat Kentucky last night...I wouldn't have expected that from the two games I saw on Thursday.

I go there and was suprised we won it was a great game though and the welcom back the basketball players got when the got back to Morgantown is something i will never forget. Lets Go Mountaineers!

eaglesvet
03-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Congratulations, Girl of Summer!! I bet it was awesome to welcome the team home!

TimothyBFan
04-06-2010, 08:48 AM
How 'bout those Cubs on opening day? :eyebrow:

This headline in the Chicago Tribune this morning says it all....

Cubs' opener: Zambrano KO'd, Braves win 16-5

Gonna be another LOOOOOONG season for us Cubs fans!

Brooke
04-06-2010, 10:04 AM
My Cardinals had a much better day!

Puhols homered twice!
Molina had a Grand Slam!
Rasmus also homered!

And
My Dukies are the Champs!

A Good Day! :partytime:

eaglesvet
04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
That NCAA final was quite a game! I have NEVER been so interested in college basketball in my life!!:partytime:

04-06-2010, 12:02 PM
I LOVE NCAA college basketball. It was an awesome game and Butler almost pulled off the huge upset, but ...

Congratulations to the NCAA Champion Duke Blue Devils!!!

Prettymaid
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Those Bulldogs have nothing to hang their head about. It was a close game from beginning to end and they played their hearts out. I really would have liked to see the little school from Indy win, but Duke seemed to always be a step ahead of them.

sodascouts
04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
We were all pulling for Butler here. One of my friends now refers to Duke as "Puke." lol

Wildthyme
04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
In most instances I would have been rooting for the "little guys" but in the case of this year's NCAA championship I had to cheer on Duke because Kyle Singler is a local boy and these days both he and the Blue Devils are hugely popular around here.

Congratulations Duke!!!!

Brooke
04-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Our family has been Duke fans for years, so we had to root for them, but we were for Butler up till then. We are usually for the underdogs and I have to tip my hat to them. They put up a great fight and I'm sorry they had to lose, but somebody had to, and in the end, we had to stand by our team.

Peekaboo
04-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, since my Oklahoma Sooners had a bad year I was rooting for all the Big XII teams till they were all gone. In the end I was rooting for Butler because that would've been some story if they had won but now we all know how that went. Great game though!! One of the best i've ever watched.

I gotta give a shout out to the Sooner girls bball team for making it the Final Four for the second year in a row. I decided not to post anything about them making it that far because in the past when I have done that my Sooners have lost so I kept quiet. Stanford defeated them on Sunday so i guess it didn't matter anyway. I'm still proud of how far they made it this year.

Troubadour
04-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Well done to the Sooner girls for making it to the Final Four. Shame they were defeated at the weekend.

Freypower
06-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I got my wish! Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard will be England captain during the World Cup because Rio Ferdinand is out injured! I don't mean any disrespect to Ferdinand, but he plays for the enemy, Manchester United, and I thought Gerrard should have been captain anyway.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/05/2919068.htm?site=sport&section=football

As the story says this may also make it easier for Liverpool's Jamie Carragher to make the England team.

(This is after a disastrous season for Liverpool who finished 7th and the manager has just left 'by mutual consent'. He won a Champions League in 2005 but not the title - they have not won it since the Premiership started).

Not long to go now...

Koala
06-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I got my wish! Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard will be England captain during the World Cup because Rio Ferdinand is out injured! I don't mean any disrespect to Ferdinand, but he plays for the enemy, Manchester United, and I thought Gerrard should have been captain anyway.
I agree with you Steven Gerrard would be my favorite too!

Not long to go now...
:nod:

I'm really looking forward to the match Germany vs. Australia :partytime:

Troubadour
06-12-2010, 01:46 PM
I like Steven Gerrard too. I got home from work a little while ago and I'm settling down to watch the football. Kick-off is in less than an hour. England V USA. I know we have many Americans on this board so I apologise, but... COME ON BOYS! ;)

Freypower
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, Stevie G scored, but a 1-1 draw is perhaps not the start they wanted.

We watched Korea-Greece and Korea were very good indeed. Then we managed to stay up for the first half of Argentina-Nigeria. Loved watching Diego prance around on the sidelines.

As per my signature, I hope Australia can at least give a good showing against Germany tomorrow morning.

http://bestsmileys.com/sports3/9.gif

Koala
06-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Well, Stevie G scored, but a 1-1 draw is perhaps not the start they wanted.
We watched Korea-Greece and Korea were very good indeed. Then we managed to stay up for the first half of Argentina-Nigeria. Loved watching Diego prance around on the sidelines.

As per my signature, I hope Australia can at least give a good showing against Germany tomorrow morning.

http://bestsmileys.com/sports3/9.gif
I have watched the England game. England would have had to win, England was the better team! Unfortunately, the english goal keeper had made a really stupid mistake that led to the 1:1!

The other both games had I seen also!

In a little less than 12 hours Germany plays against Australia! Can't wait! I wear my jersey already, later still follows scarf and cap!

Freypower
06-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Germany 4 Australia 0. That's why I'm here at 6.40 am my time.

Congratulations to you Koala. We were totally outclassed and to put it mildly it was a reality check of the first order (although I thought Tim Cahill's red card was harsh). It will be very hard for us now.

As for Robert Green's howler how would you feel? England don't have a top class goalkeeper, simple as that.

Koala
06-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Ok, Germany was the better team but I think 4:0 was too high! So good was the German team not!
The red card for Tim Cahill was really exaggerated, yellow would have completely been sufficient.

It will be very hard for us now.
If Australia wins the other plays very clearly now and then it should nevertheless still function with the round of the last sixteen!

BTW, I had hoped,on a victory of Australia!

Freypower
06-14-2010, 03:04 AM
I know you did, but be proud of your boys. And 4-0 was totally deserved.

Koala
06-14-2010, 03:21 AM
but be proud of your boys.
I am glad that they good started in the tournament.

And 4-0 was totally deserved.
No!!!!!!

Today is the most important game Denmark vs. Netherlands!
Go Denmark!http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Flaggen/daenemark.gif

Koala
06-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Our german team has lost ther second game at the World Cup but I think rightly! The other team was better! And the Germans did not use their Chance's (penalty)!

I hope today wins Australiahttp://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Flaggen/smilie_flag_017.gif against Ghana and Denmark http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Flaggen/smilie_flag_167.gifagainst Kamarun!
This would be very importantly for both teams to be remained in the tournament.

Koala
06-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Damn, only an undecided for Australia, now it becomes almost impossible to come into the round of the last sixteen! :-x

Freypower
06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Well, you will be happy for Denmark, but Australia will be out if we don't beat Serbia. New Zealand held Italy to a 1 - 1 draw. Some of the fancied teams are not performing as expected.

Koala
06-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Well, you will be happy for Denmark,
Yeah,I'm, it was not a good game, but importantly was the victory!

but Australia will be out if we don't beat Serbia.
I believe Australia can win against Serbia !
My fingers crossed!

New Zealand held Italy to a 1 - 1 draw.
this was great!

Some of the fancied teams are not performing as expected. That' right! The most favorites teams have not played up to now yet really well!

Troubadour
06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
The last England game was a big disappointment. I dislike the media-bashing, and I didn't think it was fair after the first game, but the second one... Not good. It left me feeling flat.

I watched the Portugal v North Korea match today. WOW. 1-0 at half-time, then suddenly Portugal came to life. They were running rings around NK. Cristiano Ronaldo irritates the heck out of me - but he sure can play football! It finished 7-0.

I'm also excited because Wimbledon has started today. Watching Federer at the moment.

Koala
06-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I saw the Portugal game too, not bad!:hilarious:
I don't like the kind of Cristiano Ronaldo he always looks so arrogant , but he is a good player!

I agree the last England game was really a disappointment! I have expected more from this team!

Glennsallnighter
06-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Yeah! I too had been expecting better of England. Who knows? They may surprise us yet.
I was watching Federer's match as well. It was touch and go there for a while. Gotta hand it to Falla. He nearly pulled off the biggest coup in a long time in Wimbledon!

Freypower
06-22-2010, 07:09 PM
So where are all your outpourings of sympathy for France?!!:oops:

Mind you John Terry has not helped England either. Talk about 'hissy fit'. I thought the Australians were the 'whingers' (or 'whiners') of the tournament. :nope:

sodascouts
06-22-2010, 07:22 PM
When articles from the AP have titles like "Humiliation Now Complete for France at World Cup (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hM3MZBbpzZ1gY3A4aScBx5NZ429wD9GGJ3F80)" you know it's bad. lol

tbs fanatic
06-23-2010, 12:26 PM
WOOHOO!! England and US are through to the next level. FINALLY England wakes up. Ye Gods, it took them long enough.

Koala
06-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Congrats US and England!

FINALLY England wakes up
It became also time! This game was finally a good one from the english team!

Troubadour
06-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I missed the England game because I was busy cuddling a pair of newborn babies (grin) but I'm thrilled with the result. Thank goodness! We needed to win.

Glennsallnighter
06-23-2010, 06:01 PM
So where are all your outpourings of sympathy for France?!!:oops:

Lol FP! To be honest I watched the Ireland France match last year and France were pushing hard when they scored that (handball) goal anyway. Even if it hda been disallowed there's no guarantee Ireland would have won a penalty shootout either.

There's a lot of gloating going on over here today obviously - I've heard the media use the phrase 'the big green hand of justice scooped up France' :roll:

I don't really know what I'm saying here. I suppose maybe that the 'Anyone but France' mentality here has been exaggerated to the point of being ridiculous (runs and hides)

Freypower
06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
England have to play Germany now and I honestly cannot see them going any further.

I do hope the fact that the US topped the group will provide a boost for the game there.

Australia are out. The behaviour of the team and the constant whining about alleged 'unfair treatment' just made them seem like spoilt brats.

I really think this will be South America's tournament as a European team have never won outside Europe. I wish the African teams had performed better.

As far as England hating France it has been that way for centuries. There seems to be a lot of irritation with French smugness and complacency and claims of 'cultural superiority'. I have been there three times and I honestly fail to see what is so great about the place (despite some great art and literature). But I didn't realise the Irish felt the same (unless it really only has to do with the 'Hand of Frog').

Koala
06-24-2010, 01:26 AM
England have to play Germany now and I honestly cannot see them going any further.

I think this becomes an interesting game, however I have no idea which team will win!

Australia are out. The behaviour of the team and the constant whining about alleged 'unfair treatment' just made them seem like spoilt brats.
The win from Australia yesterday was good, particularly in the 2nd half time they were the better team! But all the whining of the team was really not good ! However, the german team is not besser what concerns this!

. I wish the African teams had performed better.
I agree, particularly South Africa I have wished that they would not be ruled out after the group phase.

Troubadour
06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
A great day at Wimbledon today! Andy Murray won comfortably, in the presence of the Queen, with three straight sets. Then the Isner/Mahut match finally ended at 70-68 to Isner in the last set. INCREDIBLE. They played for just over 11 hours in total. One for the record books.

Koala
06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Then the Isner/Mahut match finally ended at 70-68 to Isner in the last set. INCREDIBLE. They played for just over 11 hours in total. One for the record books.

Yesterday I have already seen a little bit of this game and today the end! Unbelievable!

The soccer world cup has her first surprise! Italy are out, deserved, they have simply not played good!

tbs fanatic
06-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh no, England has to face Germany next :worried: I don't see us beating Germany. Dang it! I think the US/Ghana match will be interesting. Ghana is pretty good but if the US get their act together they could pull it off - well, maybe. In case anyone cares, I am seriously falling for the US Goalkeeper Tim Howard - yep, liking him more and more:inlove:. Do any of you care?:hilarious:

tequila girl
06-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Do any of you care?:hilarious:

I don't! :yawn: :yuck: :hilarious:

Prettymaid
06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
A great day at Wimbledon today! Andy Murray won comfortably, in the presence of the Queen, with three straight sets. Then the Isner/Mahut match finally ended at 70-68 to Isner in the last set. INCREDIBLE. They played for just over 11 hours in total. One for the record books.

I just heard about that 11 hr. match. Unbelievable!

tbs fanatic
06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't! :yawn: :yuck: :hilarious:

I knew it :hilarious: I guess Tim Howard's all mine then :partytime:.

Troubadour
06-25-2010, 10:23 AM
It really was incredible. John Inverdale told Isner afterwards that he had to play a doubles match in half an hour. He laughed and replied "That's a mean joke." The poor guy must have been exhausted! I switched on the TV today though and he was playing his second round match. Some stamina.

TBS - a little crush always makes the game a little more exciting! I prefer my rugby boys, but I'm not adverse to looking at Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres once in a while. ;) I draw the line at Cristiano Ronaldo though. Ick.

Troubadour
06-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Update on Isner: He lost his second round match in 74 minutes. It was clear that he was struggling. It's a shame that he crashed out after such an epic match against Mahut... but hardly surprising. He was just physically shattered.

Prettymaid
06-25-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm sure he was heartbroken. It took all he had to win the 11 hr. match.

sodascouts
06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I feel even worse for Mahut, the guy who lost the 11 round match! All that and he didn't even get to advance!

Freypower
06-25-2010, 07:38 PM
It really was incredible. John Inverdale told Isner afterwards that he had to play a doubles match in half an hour. He laughed and replied "That's a mean joke." The poor guy must have been exhausted! I switched on the TV today though and he was playing his second round match. Some stamina.

TBS - a little crush always makes the game a little more exciting! I prefer my rugby boys, but I'm not adverse to looking at Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres once in a while. ;) I draw the line at Cristiano Ronaldo though. Ick.

You had better come out with it Troub - are you a Liverpool fan?! I hope so!!! (If you have said which team you support in the past I apologise for not remembering but the Gerrard/Torres reference made me stop).

I don't mind Ronaldo. I draw the line at Wayne Rooney but then he plays for that other club... you know who they are.... :-x

Round Of 16:

Uruguay/Sth Korea
Germany/England
USA/Ghana
Argentina/Mexico
Netherlands/Slovakia
Paraguay/Japan
Brazil/Chile
Spain/Portugal

My predictions are in bold but I personally would like to see Slovakia & Chile cause huge upsets.

Troubadour
06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
You had better come out with it Troub - are you a Liverpool fan?! I hope so!!!

Yes - albeit a new one! I didn't grow up supporting a team really (apart from Saturdays down at Dean Court - Bournemouth's ground!) although my interest in football has been renewed in the past year or two. I've always liked Liverpool, and I have a friend at work who is a big supporter, so I've been following them a lot more recently. They are definitely my favourite premiership team. As you've noted, Gerrard and Torres are bonuses. ;)

Freypower
06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Unless they both go to Real Madrid.

Commiserations on England's exit.

Glennsallnighter
06-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Laura has just announced that she is a Liverpool fan too. I believe it has something to do with a guy in her class..... :roll:

Freypower
06-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Just say to her 'from this day on you'll never walk alone'.

I think it's going to be a Brazil-Argentina final. I wish the European teams had done better. If it has to be South America why not Uruguay-Paraguay?! (Paraguay play tonight).

Glennsallnighter
06-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Awwwww Thats sweet FP!

Over here they are talking about Germany and Brazil as possible finalists. I must say I too had hoped the European teams would have made a better showing too. But I suppose Soccer is huge in South America too. It remains to be seen!

TimothyBFan
06-29-2010, 07:53 AM
My daughter is ecstatic that Germany has made it this far but says she's worried about them facing Argentina now. I have no clue what it's all about I'm embarrassed to say. All I know is that she is so swept up in it all that she was even getting up at unreasonable hours (for her anyways) to watch some of these games. That speaks volumes to me as to how important the World Cup must be. ;)

tbs fanatic
06-29-2010, 11:58 AM
OMG - England were clobbered by Germany :scowl:. They never really got it together on any of their match-ups. It was painful to watch :-(. I'm thinking it will be Argentina and Brazil at the Final.

Koala
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I would never have thought that Germany so clearly wins! I think Argentina wins in the next round against Germany, they look more well-rehearsed on me and have the better single players!

tbs fanatic
06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
I agree, Argentina really have their act together. Should be an exciting match though. Germany are young and full of action. I think they will give Argentina a good run for their money.

Koala
07-04-2010, 03:00 AM
The German team is in the semi-final!:)

I never expected such a clearer win against Argentina!

Freypower
07-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Koala, you should be proud of Germany. They are now clear favourites. Spain has not been convincing enough and I think Germany will beat them and then beat the Netherlands in the final.

Koala
07-05-2010, 01:28 AM
I also think they have good chances to beat spain! I think in the finale come Germany and the Netherlands (they have played up to now also well, but one should not underrate Uruguay) and then everything is possible!

Troubadour
07-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Good luck to Germany!

Congratulations to Nadal on winning Wimbledon.

Glennsallnighter
07-06-2010, 06:59 PM
The Netherlands (Thats Holland if you have a map) have beaten Uruguay 3-2! Chris Mostert will be celebrating! :yay:

Roll on Germany v Spain

And amazingly after the number of European teams who exited so early on in the competition, we will have an All European Final!!

Freypower
07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
VIVA ESPANA!

Germany had such a great tournament it's a shame they are out but finally Spain may show what they are made of. This will be a final where neither team has ever won it and both deserve it (I have an interest in both teams due to Fernando Torres & Dirk Kuyt - although Kuyt hasn't scored any goals he has been his usual solid self. Torres has been a disappointment. Perhaps he will take this form to Chelsea :thumbsup: but at the time of the final he is still with Liverpool).

Koala
07-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Congrats Spain!

I think Germany was better during the whole tournament but against Spain they have not played well and therefore deserves lost!

Wildthyme
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
:yay: Congratulations to Spain on winning the World Cup!! :yay:

Glennsallnighter
07-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Yes! Congrats to Spain indeed!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/World%20cup/WorldCup4.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/World%20cup/WorldCup6.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/World%20cup/WorldCup3.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/World%20cup/WorldCup1.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/World%20cup/WorldCup2.jpg

Freypower
07-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Congratulations Spain!

I was up at 4.30 am firmly backing Spain but I would have cheered for the Dutch if they had played in the spirit of the game. They did no such thing. Their cynical challenges and yellow cards made me just long for Spain to break the deadlock and fortunately that is what happened - it didn't go to penalties. Justice was done. I thought Iniesta's goal was great, Xavi was solid and Cassilas the unsung hero, as most goalkeepers are.

And Paul the Octopus got it right AGAIN!

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48322000/jpg/_48322364_celebrations3.jpg

Koala
07-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Congratulations to Spain

It was not real a good game, too many fouls of both teams, that from the Dutch only 1 player (Heitinga) the place prematurely had to leave, I can't understand, DeJong would had to look for his Kun Fu kick on Xabi Alonso in any case, the red card!

Congrats to the German Team for their 3.Place!

Peekaboo
10-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Although I think it's a bit too soon because it's only the middle of the season I'm still very proud of my Oklahoma Sooner football team for being the #1 team in the country in the BCS poll. So far they are undefeated 6-0 and next face Missouri this saturday. I believe Missouri is ranked about at #11 so it should be a really good game.

Here's a pic of The Oklahoma Memorial Stadium from the game this past Saturday against Iowa State. Very cool pic with the sunset in the background. That's 80,000+ people at the game including my parents somewhere in the stands. Btw, OU beat ISU 52-0. :thumbsup: GO SOONERS!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/36172_443963402004_99307042004_5472038_4724603_n.j pg

I was just about to hit the submit button but stopped to look at this pic and I remembered something. During a game about 6 years ago, my roommate and I actually started the wave and got the entire stadium of fans to do it with us. That was very cool to see and be apart of.

Prettymaid
10-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Great picture Peek! Isn't it great to be a fan of a team that's doing so well?

Troubadour
10-21-2010, 03:59 PM
That is an amazing picture! Gorgeous.

Peekaboo
10-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Isn't it great to be a fan of a team that's doing so well?

Well, a week ago I would've said "HECK YES!!" but after the game saturday not so much. I'm still in mourning over that loss. We need a big win this saturday to cheer me up.

Troubadour
10-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Hope the Sooners do you proud on Saturday, Jess!

I've become quite a Gloucester rugby fan after watching a few matches with my sister. (I've always loved rugby, but never really had a particular team.) They're doing really well at the moment. They beat Harlequins last weekend, and they're fourth in the Premiership at the moment. They're playing Leicester Tigers this Saturday, so fingers crossed for a Gloucester win!

Peekaboo
10-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Hope the Sooners do you proud on Saturday, Jess!

Oh me too. We need this win on Saturday.

And good luck to Gloucester!!:thumbsup:

Brooke
10-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Well, a week ago I would've said "HECK YES!!" but after the game saturday not so much. I'm still in mourning over that loss. We need a big win this saturday to cheer me up.

Shoot! I aimed to come in here and brag about my Mizzou Tigers to you Jess! We're on a roll!

Peekaboo
10-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Shoot! I aimed to come in here and brag about my Mizzou Tigers to you Jess! We're on a roll!

Well done to Mizzou!! They played great!! I just hope that my Sooners can get back on track after that loss...they better. We'll see if they can bounce back and get this next win against Colorado tonight. Kick off is in less than an hour.

And Brooke, our two teams maybe playing each other again during the BIG XII Championship game in December. I hope so because I'd love to see a rematch.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
10-31-2010, 01:31 AM
My Penn State Nittany Lions beat the Michigan Wolverine (which I double dilike one for playing penn but also because i i go to WVU and they kinda stone our coach lol) PSU played better in this one game than they did all season! Hopefully thing will continue to lookmup. ALso congrat to JoePa for 399 wins as a college football coach!

EagleLady
11-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Me Too, Me Too :nahnah:

Troubadour
11-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Great weekend of rugby! Scotland beat South Africa, and England beat Samoa yesterday. :yay:

Prettymaid
12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Yesterday was a good day to be an Illini fan. The football team won the Texas Bowl over Baylor, 38-14,
and the men's basketball team won their first conference game over Iowa, 87-77!

GO ILLINI!!!
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ill/sports/m-baskbl/auto_action/6078318.jpeg

Molly
01-23-2011, 07:53 PM
OK...I just have to get this out of my system...

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/18_1_3031-2.gif
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Cheeseheads.jpg

Glennsallnighter
01-23-2011, 07:54 PM
COOL Molly! Great news

sodascouts
01-24-2011, 01:23 AM
LOL! Congrats to the Packers!

Brooke
01-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Ha! Cute pic! Congrats Molly!

TimothyBFan
01-24-2011, 11:36 AM
OK...I just have to get this out of my system...

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/18_1_3031-2.gif
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Cheeseheads.jpg

Someone needs to turn this woman in for cruel and unusual punishment to her children and animals! :hilarious:

Seriously, congrats to the Packers and their fans. Yes I'm very disappointed in my beloved Bears but us fans never expected them to get as far as they did this year. Our 3rd string QB made it a game in the 2nd half and up till the last minute, that game could have went either way.

Congrats to the Steelers also.

And for the record---in the Super Bowl....GO PACK!!! I really, really think Aaron is going to be one of the best QBs in the league.

Molly
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Someone needs to turn this woman in for cruel and unusual punishment to her children and animals! :hilarious:

Seriously, congrats to the Packers and their fans. Yes I'm very disappointed in my beloved Bears but us fans never expected them to get as far as they did this year. Our 3rd string QB made it a game in the 2nd half and up till the last minute, that game could have went either way.

Congrats to the Steelers also.

And for the record---in the Super Bowl....GO PACK!!! I really, really think Aaron is going to be one of the best QBs in the league.

Neither team played very well, IMO. We're lucky we got out of the gates as quickly as we did and got ahead.

We love Aaron here. I'm so happy for him, he really took some abuse from so called fans early on trying to come out of Brett Favre's shadow.

As for that photo, that was taken at Christmas 1996 - last time Packers won the Superbowl. I've informed the boys that I'd like to update that picture. We still have the cheesheads. Obviously, our first chocolate lab is long gone, so Gracie would have to take her place.

I was met with a resounding NO WAY!!! Actually that's putting it nicely, there were a few extra adjectives in their response. We'll see if Mom gets here way!

Brooke
01-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Ha! This will be interesting to see if you win, Molly! :laugh:

Freypower
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Molly, I thought of you when I heard the result. Better find that cheese magnet you sent me....:partytime:

GlennLover
01-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Molly, good luck getting an update on the cheesehead picture! :laugh: Glad your team won!

Annabel
01-25-2011, 03:48 AM
My DH always watches the Superbowl, and has the Monday off work to recover. (I have to bow out every year now because of the girls. Well somebody has to get them up for school. :rolleyes: ) This year DH is off to watch the game at a friend's house and staying over with him and his 4 boys in Watford.
Should add he is a longtime Pats fan. Me I'm still a Bears fan at heart.

Troubadour
02-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I am so excited about the RBS Six Nations (European rugby tournament), which starts on Friday. We play Wales at 7:45PM. I have some Welsh blood, but of course, in this instance, I will be hoping for an English victory! Unfortunately, Lewis Moody is out with a knee injury, which is a real setback... still hoping our boys will come through, though.

Troubadour
02-04-2011, 05:58 PM
England just beat Wales in the first Six Nations match - 26-19. I am so happy! They played extremely well. One of my favourites, Toby Flood, kicked beautifully and was Man of the Match, and another, Chris Ashton, scored two tries. GREAT game! :yay:

Freypower
02-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Liverpool's legendary manager Kenny Dalglish with the two new signings Andy Carroll (from my husband's team Newcastle) & Luis Suarez from Ajax. Liverpool were in crisis until Dalglish's return as manager but their big test comes tonight against Chelsea. Fernando who? (Fernando Torres has just left Liverpool for Chelsea).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/8301034/Liverpool-welcome-Andy-Carroll-and-Luis-Suarez-to-Anfield-in-pictures.html

I wanted to post one image but for some reason I couldn't.

sodascouts
02-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Oh my, Christina Aguilera certainly screwed that up!

United States National Anthem FAIL.

I actually feel kind of sorry for her. You know she must be embarrassed. What a time to forget the lyrics. And that last note - OUCH!

EagleLady
02-06-2011, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on her. It is a Nationwide Audience.

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I didn't like to say anything....

sodascouts
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Hey, who let the cast of Tron onto the field while the Black-Eyed Peas are trying to perform?

TimothyBFan
02-06-2011, 09:26 PM
HUGE thumbs down to the halftime show except SLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG-- he is freakin' fantastic!!! So glad I didn't get up and go to the bathroom!! I guess Taboo's suit flashing was kinda cool too. lol

sodascouts
02-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I knew you would be lovin' you some Slash! I have to say I was afraid Fergie's "lady lumps" might interfere with his guitar playing at one point as she rubbed against him there. Luckily nothing throws off Slash!

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Sorry, i'm going to bed ....it's 1.40 and i'm tiredddddd!

TimothyBFan
02-06-2011, 09:44 PM
I received 5 text messages as soon as he came on the screen making sure I was seeing it. My favorite one was from my niece in Tennessee saying, "did you just pee yourself?". :lol: Almost---I wasn't expecting him and I screamed! :lol:

Glennhoney
02-06-2011, 09:49 PM
..has to be the WORST half time show in history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...and I wish people would just SING the national anthem like it's supposed to be sung...it's not a rock song, or a love song....it's an ANTHEM.....oh and learn the words...okay I've had my say..off to bed.............:stunned:

Troubadour
02-06-2011, 10:19 PM
You did well to stick it out this long, Carole! Night night.

Willie, I knew Slash would make your night. Have you recovered yet?

I wasn't particularly impressed with the Black Eyes Peas either, although the dancers did look pretty cool! (Love the TRON reference, Soda... LOL.) I'm tired, but enjoying the game so much. I want the Packers to win, but credit to the Steelers... they've come out fighting in this second half.

sodascouts
02-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, Green Bay won after all, but the Steelers sure made a game out of it!

Troubadour
02-06-2011, 11:11 PM
YEAH PACKERS!

I'm very happy but you're right, Soda - to give 'em their dues, the Steelers really made it exciting in that second half! Anyway, I'm off to bed... 3am here. Great night though!

eaglesvet
02-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Well, given that we are Jets fans here, I have to say that the best team (of the two playing) won tonight! Way to go, Packers! And it was a well-matched game in the second half.

My hubby really recovered nicely from his beloved Jets' loss in the playoffs to make a cool family Super Bowl dinner. I have to hand it to him for creativity. He actually found a recipe for "Roethlisburgers" (sic), which, believe it or not, are cheeseburgers with a sausage patty, scrambled eggs, and fried onions on top. (Not for the weak of stomach, that's for sure...) He also served Wisconsin cheddar cheese and crackers, and black-eyed peas.

AzEaglesFan
02-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Almost anything where the meat is fried (not broiled) and has onions and cheese, has to be good. When the onions are fried that is even better.:nod:

Molly
02-07-2011, 01:37 PM
...and the cheese stands alone! http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/18_1_3031-3.gif

Brooke
02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Congrats to the Packers!

I felt sorry for Christina. I'm not a big fan of hers, but she sure can sing. The media will never let her live that down. I read that she'd been singing the song since she was seven and was just caught up in the moment and forgot the lines. I can understand that. Everyone makes mistakes. I'm sorry hers was in front of millions of people.

I didn't care much for the Peas, but loved seeing Slash there.

Annabel
02-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Okay so I knew the result but I still wanted to watch the game. I had a crafting morning at a friend's house this morning after the girls went to school but when I got home at lunch time I put the PVR into action and watched the first half. DH had arrived home by then so watched with me. He got to watch it in HD at his friend's house. Now DH wants a 50" HD flat screen on the wall here :woah:. I had to cook dinner then. :rolleyes:

We all watched the half time show over dinner. Like the BEP but not always live, (Fergie :shh:) So anyway I still have the 2nd half to watch. :laugh: Have to do that tomorrow now. Can't wait until the girls aren't so dependent on somebody getting them up for school. I can join the superbowl party people then and watch it live.

Prettymaid
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Congrats to the Packers!

I felt sorry for Christina. I'm not a big fan of hers, but she sure can sing. The media will never let her live that down. I read that she'd been singing the song since she was seven and was just caught up in the moment and forgot the lines. I can understand that. Everyone makes mistakes. I'm sorry hers was in front of millions of people.

I didn't care much for the Peas, but loved seeing Slash there.

What she said...:nod:

Freypower
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
...and the cheese stands alone! http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/18_1_3031-3.gif

I bet you're happy. Congratulations!!!!:cheers:

Molly
02-07-2011, 05:30 PM
I bet you're happy. Congratulations!!!!:cheers:

Yes, I am -thanks! Actually, my 2nd favorite NFL team is the Pittsburgh Steelers so it really was an exciting game for me!

The Packers are not owned by some rich owner, they are owned by the citizens of Green Bay and Wisconsin. Everyone owns "shares" of the team. I wish I could say I had some of those shares, but we don't. Nonetheless, there isn't a team in the league that has such a special relationship with the fans. They are truly our team.

Plus, the trophy that is won is the Lombardi Trophy named after our infamous coach. So, in a way it's like the trophy is coming home.

While this was only our 4th Superbowl win, before there was such a thing as a Superbowl there was a Championship game. We won 9 of those , so we've actually won the league title of champion 13 times -the most in the history of the NFL. That's why Green Bay is also known as Titletown.

It's a great day to be a Cheesehead!

02-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Now, just remember this feeling the next time you have to dig out of 2 feet of snow! :lol:

But, I really am very happy that your Packers won. I thought of you several times yesterday and what an exciting day (or even last two weeks) it must have been for you. It was a very good game, but I have to say the best team won yesterday.

Party On, Cheeseheads!!! :cheers: :partytime: :headbang:

Prettymaid
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of you yesterday too Molly. I was thinking, "I want to be at THAT Superbowl party!"

sodascouts
02-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm still waiting for the "updated" cheesehead photo!

eaglesvet
02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Yes, I am -thanks! Actually, my 2nd favorite NFL team is the Pittsburgh Steelers so it really was an exciting game for me!

The Packers are not owned by some rich owner, they are owned by the citizens of Green Bay and Wisconsin. Everyone owns "shares" of the team. I wish I could say I had some of those shares, but we don't. Nonetheless, there isn't a team in the league that has such a special relationship with the fans. They are truly our team.

Plus, the trophy that is won is the Lombardi Trophy named after our infamous coach. So, in a way it's like the trophy is coming home.

While this was only our 4th Superbowl win, before there was such a thing as a Superbowl there was a Championship game. We won 9 of those , so we've actually won the league title of champion 13 times -the most in the history of the NFL. That's why Green Bay is also known as Titletown.

I didn't know all of that...very cool. I also LOVE the pix of your boys when they were young...how precious. Definitely bribe them to do it again!

Molly
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Kay, I've shoveled snow 3 times in the past 24 hours! But I still have the Superbowl warm fuzzies so I didn't mind.

Cathy -we turned down 2 parties and Ditka and I just stayed home and watched the game. He has to get up at 4 am -so I took pity on him.

Nancy -no updated picture yet. I meeting with a lot of resistance. I may have to play the "I'm the Mom" card. The only one willing to cooperate so far is the dog.

sodascouts
02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Maybe you should forget to mention that you're planning on posting it on the internet. :lol:

EaglesFanatic
02-25-2011, 01:29 AM
The varsity boys basketball team at my school had their playoff game tonight. Let me tell you, it was one of the most exciting games I've ever been to. AND WE WON! The team's going to state!!!!!! Gooooo Tigers! :partytime:

Prettymaid
02-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Congratulations to your Tigers EF!

Brooke
02-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Congrats EF!

Our local high school girls basketball team is expected to go to state again this year. They went the last 2 years and got 3rd and 4th! I have a great niece and 2 nieces on the team this year (3 last year)! It's a lot of fun watching them play! Districts start tomorrow.

02-25-2011, 12:22 PM
EF - Congratulations to the Tigers from me as well. Good luck at the State Championship!

Troubadour
02-26-2011, 03:43 PM
England just beat France 17-9 in their RBS Six Nations clash. It was a tight game, but England deserved the win. This is three out of three, and France are never an easy team to beat. You could say I'm pretty happy! :mrgreen:

Only downside is that Toby Flood, one of my favourite players, went off in the second half with an ankle injury. He looked SO dejected and upset on the bench, bless him. At least he has a week before the Scotland game to recouperate. Hopefully he will be fit to play by then. If he's not, at least we have the capable form of Jonny Wilkinson ready to step into the No. 10 shirt. I also hope that Lewis Moody bounces back from his knee injury soon. I bet he's dying to get back on the field.

Prettymaid
02-26-2011, 04:07 PM
It's always scary to hear that a player has injured themself. Congrats to England on the W!

Troubadour
02-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Yeah. It was nothing too serious, thankfully (hate seeing players lying flat out on the field), but even those niggly ankle injuries can mean weeks out of play. I wish I could have screencapped the shot of Flood on the bench... His expression and body language spoke volumes. :(

Riding high on the victory, though. We have a really exciting team at the moment, with some great subs. Love my rugby boys!

Brooke
02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, major league baseball's St. Louis Cardinals have lost one of their ace pitchers, Adam Wainwright, for over a year due to an injury at spring training. He's been a contender for the Cy Young award the last two years. They also have failed to reach a contract agreement with one of the greatest baseball players ever, Albert Pujols. We are in for a very tough year, it seems. :cry:

Troubadour
03-13-2011, 01:30 PM
England won their fourth consecutive game today in the Six Nations rugby union tournament. It was tight though! Scotland put up a great fight, and England didn't play particularly well... but we scraped through.

MikeA
03-20-2011, 08:38 PM
NCAA Tournament Round Two or Three. Two for KU (Kansas)

Boy, did TEXAS ever BLOW it! Didn't get a Time Out called in time with an inbounds pass. Gave Arizona the ball at their end of the court. Foul and freethrow and then Longhorns couldn't come back.

KU and the Fighting Illini from Illinois next!

Prettymaid
03-21-2011, 07:32 AM
NCAA Tournament Round Two or Three. Two for KU (Kansas)

Boy, did TEXAS ever BLOW it! Didn't get a Time Out called in time with an inbounds pass. Gave Arizona the ball at their end of the court. Foul and freethrow and then Longhorns couldn't come back.

KU and the Fighting Illini from Illinois next!

I don't want to talk about it.

JK! The better team won that one. We tried to stay with you guys but your twins, the Morris brothers were unstoppable!

I watched the end of that Arizona/Texas game too. What a sad ending for Texas!

MikeA
03-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I think that they call them the "Law Firm". It was not a runaway score until the last couple of minutes. My goodness, with just a couple of minutes left, it was a 4 to 7 point spread.

When I was growing up in Arkansas...and even today for people who still follow the Razorbacks, They say "I'm for the Hogs and whoever is playing Texas!" Intense rivalry just as intense as that between Texas and Oklahoma!

KU has always had a good recruiting network and do seem to come up with star players. Wilt (The Stilt) Chamberland is probably the most notorious (played pretty dirty with elbows in the lane back in the 60's). Danny Manning from the 1988 Championship Team is still coaching in a secondary role at KU. Paul Pierce is still knocking down baskets for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Our little WSU (Wichita State University...where both my kids graduated) has has its own share of NBA Stars too. Cliff Livingston and Antione Carr (The Bookends) were terrors on the court. Carr and Livenston both went into the NBA as high drafts but Carr made a bigger splash. Xavier McDaniel was nothing short of amazing with the ball. He could hit from anywhere.

Kansas is steeped in Basketball history...much as is Indiana. James Naismith started it all by inventing the game itself at KU.

Original 13 Rules of Basketball

James Naismith devised a set of thirteen rules of basketball:

The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.

The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands, but never with the fist.

A player cannot run with the ball. The player must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, allowance to be made for a man running at good speed.
The ball must be held in or between the hands. The arms or body must not be used for holding it.

No shouldering, holding, pushing, striking or tripping in any way of an opponent. The first infringement of this rule by any person shall count as a foul; the second shall disqualify him until the next goal is made or, if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game.

No substitution shall be allowed.

A foul is striking at the ball with the fist, violations of Rules 3 and 4 and such as described in Rule 5.

If either side make three consecutive fouls it shall count as a goal for the opponents (consecutive means without the opponents in the meantime making a foul).

Goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the ground into the basket and stays there, providing those defending the goal do not touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edge and the opponents move the basket, it shall count as a goal.

When the ball goes out of bounds, it shall be thrown into the field and played by the first person touching it. In case of dispute the umpire shall throw it straight into the field. The thrower-in is allowed five seconds. If he holds it longer, it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on them.

The umpire shall be judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have the power to disqualify men according to Rule 5.

The referee shall be the judge of the ball and decide when it is in play in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made and keep account of the goals with any other duties that are usually performed by a referee.

The time shall be two 15-minute halves with five minutes' rest between.

The side making the most goals in that time shall be declared the winners.

03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Well - we have TWO teams from my relatively small hometown in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen!

Congratulations to the University of Richmond Spiders and the Virginia Commonwealth University Rams!!!

MikeA
03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Oh God...first Cathy with Illinois and now you IABAD with Richmond! KU is coming up against Richmond next I think.

Whomever makes it to the Sweet Sixteen has done something to be very proud of! In fact, mostly after this point, any given team can win on any give night. Just a little swing in momentum or maybe a bad call by the Striped Shirts and can swing the Big Mo to the other team.

KU certainly has enough horror stories including last year when they were knocked out by a team that shouldn't have beaten them. Actually, that happens more often than not in the NCAA tournament and has generated a lot of controversy over completely changing the format of the tournament.

TimothyBFan
03-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Need to brag a bit about my beloved Notre Dame. The Irish hockey team is going to the final four again this year, as is the lady Irish basketball team! :thumbsup:

BTW-- Opening day for my Chicago Cubs (and baseball) is Friday!! So very excited!! A sure sign that summer is on it's way!

jdubfan
03-29-2011, 09:22 AM
BTW-- Opening day for my Chicago Cubs (and baseball) is Friday!! So very excited!! A sure sign that summer is on it's way!

Robert Redford is throwing out the first pitch...didn't know he's a cub fan. Ron Santo Jr is also going to sing the stretch. I loved listening to his dad on WGN radio for the games, gonna really miss ole #10.

TimothyBFan
03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Robert Redford---very cool!!! I hadn't heard he was a fan either.

I completely agree with you about Ronnie. As irritating as I found him at times, he never failed to give me a chuckle. What a shame he will never get to see that World Series he always hoped for. He will always be THE true Chicago Cubs fan!

Brooke
03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Robert Redford---very cool!!! I hadn't heard he was a fan either.

Oh my, poor Robert! I may have to rethink my love of him after hearing he's a Cub fan. :twisted:

My Cardinals opening day is Thursday.

Let's go Big Red!

TimothyBFan
03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Sorry Brooke--but this is the year for our Cubbies!!! :hilarious: My hubby had a shirt that said that once----it wore out before we had that year!

03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Well - This is a little late, but I just give a huge shout out to the hometown guys who made it to their first ever NCAA FINAL FOUR!

Congratulations to Virginia Commonwealth University!!!

GO VCU RAMS!!!

Freypower
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Dreamer, my father visited VCU in 1981. I had a T shirt of the university for a long time. :partytime:

Prettymaid
03-29-2011, 05:52 PM
I want to congratulate VCU also. So glad they beat Kansas! (Sorry Mike.)

I must admit though that I'm rooting for the other underdog, Butler.

Glad I'm not in a bracket this year. :)

TimothyBFan
03-30-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm going for Butler also, PM. After last year coming so close, I'm really hoping they can pull it off this year. Especially since they're in the Hoosier state!

BTW---2 days till baseball season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, of course, I'm pulling for my VCU Rams although there is no way I can be disappointed at this point no matter what happens. Not many people expected them to get this far - every time I said I didn't expect them to win a game, they sure fooled me. And not only did they beat their opponents, but they've beaten them convincingly. So I ain't making any predictions - our Cinderella team has convinced me that anything can happen!

MikeA
04-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Well folks, I was pulling for Butler after KU got knocked out.

The best thing I can say about that NCAA Championship is that the winning team was just the one that didn't lose.

Condolences to fans of both teams and a tip of the hat to UCONN.

Prettymaid
04-05-2011, 07:26 AM
I tuned in right before the end of the first half and was amazed to see the score was 19-19! Those boys were tired! I was rooting for Butler too. Hard to believe from their shooting last night that they were able to get as far as they did! They just had an off night on the biggest night of their lives! Oh well...congratulations UCONN.

MikeA
04-05-2011, 07:44 AM
What was the final? 51 to 41? Good grief. This is the NC freakin' AA tournament! The BEST teams in College Basketball!

That was without doubt the most boring game I've ever watched. Even the broadcasters were having trouble keeping from using superlatives trying to describe the lack of Offense in that game by either team. At least UCONN picked it up just enough to not lose in the second half, but still, the shot making was atrocious.

I think there should be a new rule instituted. If BOTH TEAMS are scoring no better than the two that played last night, then they should forfeit and the other two teams in the Final Four should be given the chance. I'd have been really pissed if I'd paid thousands of dollars to see that game like a lot of the spectators had to pay. It AIN'T cheap to go to the Final Four and the Championship!

Very unsatisfying "spectator" game. Reminds me of that exhibition "boxing match" between Mohamed Ali and that Karate guy over in Japan. The started the fight and immediately the Karate guy laid on his back and went into 100% defensive mode. Neither fighter landed a punch or a kick the entire fight!

That was what last night's NCAA game was...except both teams laid down and played nothing but defense. That is NOT what I want to see out of a National Championship Team. They ought to be at least able to put that round ball into that steel ring with the net on it! After all, that's the object of the game Naismith invented!

Prettymaid
04-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Yeah...my Illini had trouble doing that this season...

It was a pretty frustrating game to watch - especially if you were rooting for Butler!

TimothyBFan
04-05-2011, 08:09 AM
On another note.....The Lady Irish go for the women's NCAA championship tonight and the Irish Icers play in the Frozen Four this weekend. Good year for some of the Notre Dame Irish teams.

04-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I think there should be a new rule instituted. If BOTH TEAMS are scoring no better than the two that played last night, then they should forfeit and the other two teams in the Final Four should be given the chance. I'd have been really pissed if I'd paid thousands of dollars to see that game like a lot of the spectators had to pay. It AIN'T cheap to go to the Final Four and the Championship!

I like your thinking here, Mike. That way my VCU Rams could've had another chance. I was rooting for Butler, too even after they knocked off VCU in the semi-final. I was hoping this would be the year for the underdog, but it was not to be. So I guess I'll be polite and say congratulations to the UConn Huskies.

MikeA
04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
The NCAA tournament has always been controversial to say the least. There is too much prestige associated with it and too much potential gain for the Seniors in the Championship Game for it to be such a bad format.

I know it isn't possible, but the way the NBA does it...with a 7-game series...to eliminate qualifying teams would be better. At least then, it wouldn't all ride on ONE game and with 7 games, it would be much more likely to wind up with the best team winning the tournament.

Look at the #1 and #2 seeds in the tournament. They didn't "win" those spots in one game. It was the culmination of an entire SEASON of Basketball. Yet when it comes to crowing the National Champion, it all rides on one game in each bracket starting with 68 teams that are cut in half with each round: 68, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1. But it is all single elimination.

It's just a bad format and more often than not, a "nobody team" ends up either winning or knocking out a team that really should be in the finals.

That might sound like "sour grapes" but believe me, it is a controversy that seems to emerge EVERY YEAR! Seldom does the best team in the country win that Tournament.

MikeA
04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
The MASTERS...aruguably the crown jewel of Golf!

CONGRATULATIONS to AUSTRAILA

And South Africa! A relatively unknown from South Africa (Schwartzel) won by playing some extremely steady (and GOOD) golf under tremendous pressure.

What a round by Geof Oglivy, Jason Day and Adam Scott! Day and Scott tied for 2nd.

Tiger Woods, Luke Donald and Oglivy tied for 4th.

Felt bad for Rory McIlroy (Ireland) who led the tournament the first three days and started todays final round with a 4-shot lead. He sort of fell apart and finished something like 8 or 9 strokes off the lead. Just blew completely up.

But even MY adrenalin started pumping as I watched Tiger show signs of brillance that I haven't seen from him in almost three years. I do hope that he can put the past behind him and show us his dominance of the game like he used to do. He made some really stupid decisions when he was at his peak and I'm afraid that he just won't be able to get back into the groove he once had. But TODAY, after everyone had pretty much written him off as he had a 7-stroke deficite to overcome, he lit up the course on the front nine with birdies and one eagle to get into a short lived tie for first place! But he just couldn't keep it going on the back nine. He missed a short eagle putt and then missed a really short putt for a par. With those two putts, he could have put enough pressure on the others to likely have won the tournament!

Freypower
04-10-2011, 09:50 PM
When I saw your opening line I thought 'did Adam Scott win'? Everyone here was wondering if this would finally be Australia's year to win a Masters. I felt sorry for McIlroy too.

Freypower
05-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Great result in the Champions League final last night:

Barcelona 3 Manchester United 1

What this really means, apart from Barcelona being the best team in the world, is that English clubs' Champions League titles still reads this way:

Liverpool 5
Man Utd 3

:laugh:

Troubadour
06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I am a big rugby union fan and I went to see the Aviva Premiership Final on Saturday at Twickenham - Leicester Tigers V Saracens. Although I like Leicester, Saracens deserved to win. They fought till the bitter end.

It was especially great for me because I got to see one of my favourite players, Toby Flood (England fly-half).

I took this pic with my phone when we first arrived. It was such a fantastic atmosphere. My team (Harlequins) play just across the road, at Twickenham Stoop. Hopefully I'll be seeing them again soon!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248981_509116651216_222500151_267578_6557666_n.jpg

Freypower
07-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Congratulations to Cadel Evans, the first Australian to win the Tour de France!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-25/cadel-lost-for-words/2808854

EaglesKiwi
07-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Congratulations to Cadel Evans, the first Australian to win the Tour de France!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-25/cadel-lost-for-words/2808854
And well deserved congratulations they are, too. Its nice to see a sporting victory that's the result of years of hard work & determination and not just flash-in-the-pan one day brilliance.

Troubadour
08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
The England rugby team played Ireland this afternoon and we won 20-9! It was only a friendly but we played really well, which is encouraging as we have a couple of injuries and a couple of new, younger players in the squad. The World Cup starts in early September so it was a confidence boost to get a win today. I just hope we play at our best in the tournament. I am so excited about it!

I have upgraded to ESPN recently so that I can watch the NFL. Totally into it! Unfortunately they only show one game a week, but it's better than nothing. I've watched a couple of preseason games already and I am so excited for the regular season to start. I love and admire the Packers, as Molly knows ;) but I will admit that I've fallen in love with the Arizona Cardinals and the Indianapolis Colts since really getting into the game. I really want to see them do well this year. It's so much fun to have a "new" sport to follow and a couple of teams to root for. I'm a huge rugby fan, so I suppose it's not too much of a surprise that the NFL has captured me.

I thought it would be cool if we could have a sort of "roll call" of which sports teams Borderers support... It would be nice to keep track of which teams you guys follow and what you're into! Who wants to start?

EaglesKiwi
08-28-2011, 04:47 AM
Well since you've mentioned the Rugby World Cup (we've heard of very little ELSE down here!) I'll start by saying that I support - of course - the All Blacks. I hope we get to see some good rugby during the tournament.

Also a netball fan. The New Zealand coach used to teach at my high school.

Really interested to hear about everyone else's sports teams, especially if anyone supports teams outside of their home area (and why).

Troubadour
08-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah, there must be a real buzz in New Zealand at the moment! I love watching the All Blacks play. They are formidable. Plus, Dan Carter is a cutie. ;) The fly-half for Harlequins, Nick Evans, is an All Black, although I don't think he has made the World Cup squad... With a kicker like Carter at his best, it's hard for Evans to get a look in! Evans playing club rugby abroad must influence the All Blacks' decision, too.

As for teams, I obviously support England. I absolutely love our rugby team and I am more passionate about it than any other sport. In the Aviva premiership (rugby union), I support Harlequins. Gloucester are a close second.

In the NFL, my three favourite teams are the Cardinals, the Colts and the Packers. Probably in that order. The Packers were the first team I watched that really got me into the game, so I will always like them - I also really admire their history/franchise and some of their players. The only downside is that I came to them at a time when they were successful, so I don't want to be seen as a glory-hunter! (They have become really popular over here since winning the Super Bowl.) I enjoy rooting for teams that still have a way to go. For that same reason, I didn't really want to pick the Bears/Eagles/Cowboys/Giants or any of the other richer, big city teams because they are more popular over here. I just started researching about the NFL over the last year, teams and players, watching lots of clips on YouTube, getting whatever info I could, and gradually the Cardinals and the Colts came to the fore. I have been to Arizona and loved it, which is a bonus, I love the Cardinals' colour (red has always been my favourite) and I think Larry Fitzgerald is an amazing player and a great role model, both off and on the field. I also like the fact that they are the oldest team in the NFL, and that they haven't enjoyed recent success - they're rebuilding and that is exciting to me. I just feel an affinity with them and I'm really, really hoping that they do well this season. A lot of people think the Kolb deal was madness, but I have my fingers crossed that he will come through and prove everyone wrong. I don't think they're going to necessarily make the playoffs this year, but I hope their confidence is boosted this season. They deserve some success.

As for the Colts, one of my FB friends is a huge fan, so I kind of started following them that way. Peyton Manning is amazing, and I like the way they play - they're exciting to watch. I also like the fact that they're a pretty good team and they have had some fairly recent success, but they're certainly not a "bandwagon" team. They seem to be under the radar over here, which I'm glad of in a selfish way! I also think Lucas Oil Stadium is beautiful and I would love to go there one day. I know a few people in Indiana and Illinois whom I would love to visit. ;) It looks like it might be a difficult season for the Colts with Manning's neck injury, but at least it will be nothing short of interesting!

Like EK, I'm also interested in the stories of how people came to like certain teams, so I hope you didn't mind me sharing mine!

I'm not so much into football (soccer) anymore, but obviously I support England in international games. Otherwise, I like Liverpool, Southampton and Bournemouth. I was born in Southampton and live nearby, and I lived near Bournemouth for a long time and still have family there - so I always like to see those teams doing well.

The other main sport I enjoy is baseball. I have liked the Red Sox for years, but I don't really know why - they were probably just the first team I heard of when I was younger! The more I know about them though, the more I like them. Since watching the game more lately, I also like the Texas Rangers and the St. Louis Cardinals.

sodascouts
08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm not a big professional football fan, and only watch college football when it concerns Texas A&M or Purdue. That said, if I had to pick a team, out of nothing but illogical regional loyalty I'd have to go with the Dallas Cowboys. Yes, I could say the Houston Texans, but I've never really gotten into them... probably because they're too new.

However, I do like the Houston Astros for baseball, even when they suck. Same for the Houston Rockets in basketball. See a pattern? lol

Lisa
08-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Enthusiastic home team fans--everyone!
I was thinking the "Longhorns" for swimming--that one eluded me for a minute. The lone star state is giant.

Freypower
08-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Liverpool Football Club

(er.... that's 'soccer')

I have soft spots for my husband's team Newcastle United, my mother-in-law & daughter's team Sunderland, my London team Crystal Palace, Watford (Elton John), Wolverhampton Wanderers (Robert Plant) and the European teams I like are Barcelona, Inter Milan & Bayern Munich. Glory hunter? Me? Hah!

Sydney Roosters (rugby league)
Randwick (rugby union)
Sydney FC (soccer)

I take interest in the following American teams:

San Francisco 49ers (American football)
New York Yankees (baseball)
Chicago Blackhawks (hockey)
LA Lakers (basketball)

Although I think I have just developed a soft spot for the Toronto Blue Jays and I already had one for the Maple Leafs!

If you love teams you also hate them, and as a Liverpool supporter the team I hate comes from the wrong part of Lancashire which is manchester united. The team I hate in the Rugby League competition is the Canterbury Bulldogs.

EaglesKiwi
09-10-2011, 03:17 AM
Please indulge me for a moment. The Rugby World Cup kicked off last night in Auckland - my home city. The opening ceremony was fantastic, and there is such a great atmosphere around at the moment. NZ is very multicultural so there is lots of support for all the visiting teams, particularly the Pacific islands. When the Tongan team arrived there were so many fans at the airport to welcome them they caused traffic jams - so they used the opportunity to get out of their cars & dance on the streets.

The mighty All Blacks played the first game against Tonga last night (we won, but the Tongans fought well & scored a try - only the second time ever against NZ).

Right at the moment France is playing Japan. They are ahead, but it is much closer than expected.

England play Argentina tonight. Should be a good game.

Windeagle
09-10-2011, 08:05 AM
The other main sport I enjoy is baseball. I have liked the Red Sox for years, but I don't really know why - they were probably just the first team I heard of when I was younger! The more I know about them though, the more I like them. Since watching the game more lately, I also like the Texas Rangers and the St. Louis Cardinals.

Baseball is the only professional sport I follow and I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan. That last out of the 2004 World Series was a very special moment. I found myself thinking not so much about the first World Series win since 1918, but more about all the other lifelong Red Sox fans who never got to see it happen. It was very moving.

Freypower
09-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't follow tennis at all; but I guess I should mention this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-12/stosur-wins-us-open-final/2881166

Troubadour
09-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Thanks for sharing, Windeagle!

I've watched most of the World Cup games so far. England's first game was absolutely awful - but thankfully we still managed to win. We really need to step up our game, though. Let's hope it was just nerves. To be fair, Scotland and Ireland put in fairly scrappy performances, too... I'm sure the teams will be more settled by the next matches.

Glennsallnighter
09-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Its quite possible that some teams were just sufering from nerves I guess. I'm sure they will sharpen up their performances as the competition progresses. Lets all keeep supporting each others teams until it becomes impossible and the :machinegun::machinegun::armed:s come out!

EaglesKiwi
09-14-2011, 05:06 AM
Its quite possible that some teams were just sufering from nerves I guess. I'm sure they will sharpen up their performances as the competition progresses. Lets all keeep supporting each others teams until it becomes impossible and the :machinegun::machinegun::armed:s come out!
I'm supporting everyone. There are lots of good teams and of course one of them has to be in the final with the All Blacks. :hilarious:
At work our Warehouse team have a big group of Samoans, who rescheduled their lunch break to 2.30 when the game started - on TV in the lunchroom - the cheering was incredible. Then at 5pm the Tongans came out to support their team :partytime: