PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Sensations

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Freypower
01-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I thought that as many of us follow sports teams or are maybe involved with sports ourselves we could talk about our teams and what is happening with them whenever something comes up - if your team has scored a stunning upset victory here is the place to rave about it. Cutural background is no object - the love of the game comes first whether it's soccer or American football or basketball, or a college team (something which, being Australian, I am intrigued by, but we have absolutely nothing similar to it).

So.... in Australia the cricket team is thrashing the England team first 5 - 0 in the Test series and now will probably swep the tri-nations one day series which also includes New Zealand. I think it's wrong that Australia has become so dominant and I'm not really interested anymore.

In tennis the Australian Open, the first of the four majors, is about to start and the hot favourite is Roger Federer. I think this man could be the next Rod Laver - he is amazing. I think our own Lleyton Hewitt is a shadow of his former self (and I don't really follow tennis closely).

Liverpool beat Watford 3 - 0 last night. I'm sure you're glad to hear that. :twisted: We had to do something after being thrashed by Arsenal in both the FA Cup and the Carling Cup.

sodascouts
01-14-2007, 01:18 AM
The Indianapolis Colts just beat Baltimore on the football field 15-6 this evening. The weird thing was that there were no touchdowns! I was eating dinner out with a friend while the game was on and the ecstatic shouts from the bar really added some atmosphere to the place. ;)

Perfect Little Sister
01-16-2007, 02:17 PM
My son commented that the kicker scored the only points in that game Nanc.

To my utter dismay, the Chargers lost. :cry:

glenneaglesfan
01-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Well, at least the England cricket team scraped to a victory over New Zealand today, but the Ashes series was a fiasco.

Imo, Roger Federer is the greatest tennis player of recent history - he has a superb all round game and seems to win without resorting to histrionics. Pete Sampras may have won more majors but he was, dare I say it, a bit boring. I only really get to follow tennis at Wimbledon, when it's on grass, and Lleyton has never really shone here. I still remember the glory days of John Newcombe and Rod Laver!!!

My game is rugby. We are about to start the next round of the Six Nations championship. England look poor at the moment, Ireland are rampant and France the ones to beat. Anyone who thinks rugby players are a bunch of meatheads in sweatbands could have a look at the website of the French club, Stade Francais, but I warn you, it's not for the faint-hearted! :twisted: I stumbled across it purely by accident, trying to find out about their new kit. Honestly!

Freypower
01-16-2007, 08:51 PM
I'd love Ireland to win the Six Nations.... :D

Ive always been a dreamer
01-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Well - it's NFL playoff time here in the states. This is my favorite sports time of the year. The conference championship games will be played this weekend and determine which two teams will play in the Super Bowl. The AFC championship game will be between the Indianapolis Colts and the New Engand Patriots. The NFC game is between the Chicago Bears and the New Orleans Saints. I am rooting for the Colts and the Saints to make it to the big game. If the Saints win, it will be the first time in their history that they have ever made it to the Super Bowl.

sodascouts
01-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Go Indianapolis Colts! Woot! :)

Freypower
01-17-2007, 12:25 AM
I have tie dye t shirts for three of those teams (the exception being Indianapolis - I haven't been there). I would love to see New Orleans win the Superbowl, after what happened to it with Katrina, and also because I love the city anyway.

Billy
01-17-2007, 12:01 PM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/scotsbilly/amazing.jpg
My beloved Celtic remain 17 points ahead of Rangers,in the Scottish Premier League,with 15 games to go.

glenneaglesfan
01-17-2007, 02:32 PM
That's a great picture, Billy!

FP, I'd love Ireland to win the Six Nations too (even though I'm half Welsh) - they have been outstanding recently.

Good luck with your teams in the Super Bowl!

sodascouts
01-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Does that insignia say "You'll never walk alone"? If so, somebody call Glenn's lawyer! He's been plagiarized!

(Just kidding, lol).

Freypower
01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Why do you think the line in POMPOY has such significance for me?

The Gerry & the Pacemakers song (originally from the musical Carousel) is played at Anfield every game.

http://www.poster.net/liverpool/liverpool-club-crest-4900715.jpg

Billy
01-18-2007, 11:48 AM
But it was originally sang by Celtic supporters,and still is. :D along with fields of Attenry(Liverpool fans sing their own version of that,too).

sodascouts
01-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Imitation is the sincerest forum of flattery. ;)

Freypower
01-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Liverpool beat Chelsea 2 - 0!!! Don't worry, I won't do this every time, but it's a big game, and Liverpool's record against the big teams (Chelsea are current champions) isn't that good. The only downside is it may make it easier for the dreaded Manchester United to win the title.

Billy
01-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Celtic beat Saint Mirren,5-1, at Celtic Park today.

They are now 20 points ahead of ________ :D

glenneaglesfan
01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Congrats to you Liverpool and Celtic supporters. I'd like to see Chelsea and Man U toppled this season.

Molly
02-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah! Our quarterback for the Green Bay Packers, Brett Favre, has decided NOT to retire and come back and play again next season. He gave a tearful interview following the final game of the season a few weeks ago, leaving everyone here fearing he was done. But-he announced yesterday he's decided to return for at least one more season!! AND THE CHEESEHEADS REJOICE!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/18_1_3031.gif
He plays with such joy and enthusiasm-gotta love that! He's like a big kid out there and that is so much fun to watch. He's also one of the most down to earth and strongest willed people I've ever heard of. His wife has been fighting breast cancer, he lost his brother-in-law recently, his family home in Mississippi was almost completely lost during Katrina, and he played the game of his life the day after his father (his hero) passed away. And through it all he remained accessible to press and fans, active in local charities, a team leader, and an unbelievable record breaking football player. Is it any wonder we love him?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/favresmile.jpg
Even the Monstertones have been known to wear the cheddar!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/CheeseMonstertones.jpg

Molly
02-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm so excited about Brett, I almost forgot to add my two cents worth about tomorrows Superbowl:

I don't care if "Da Bearz" made it to the big game...(excuse my language)...The Bears still suck!!!!

Go Indianapolis Colts!!! Peyton Manning-MVP!!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/18_1_3141.gif

Look out next year, Bears-Brett's back!

Brooke
02-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm so excited about Brett, I almost forgot to add my two cents worth about tomorrows Superbowl:

I don't care if "Da Bearz" made it to the big game...(excuse my language)...The Bears still suck!!!!

Go Indianapolis Colts!!! Peyton Manning-MVP!!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/18_1_3141.gif

Look out next year, Bears-Brett's back!

Yeah! And we're all with you Molly!

Maleah
02-03-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm so excited that Brett is coming back! He's always been my fav. quarterback and one of my favorite all-time players along with Barry Sanders. I'm glad he didn't have to leave on the note that this season brought. Hopefully next season will allow him to leave in style!

sodascouts
02-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Wow, he sounds like a terrific guy. Not bad looking, either. And can I add my two cents about the Superbowl....

GO INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm sure that surprised no one, lol)

Freypower
02-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I will be wearing my newly acquired Chicago Bears shirt tomorrow. No offence to Indianapolis, but I've never been there... and Chicago is one of my all time favourite cities...

Molly
02-04-2007, 10:21 AM
[quote="Maleah"]I'm so excited that Brett is coming back! He's always been my fav. quarterback and one of my favorite all-time players along with Barry Sanders.[quote]

My husband still grumbles that we missed out on choosing Barry Sanders in the NFL draft and instead went with Tony Mandarich. Never heard of Tony Mandarich? Yeah, that's the point.

I had the opportunity to see Barry Sanders play on a frigidly cold December day in Green Bay. (My hot chocolate froze solid in the cup) We were sitting in the end zone and Barry just kept scoring over and over. Every time he did he seemed to slide on the frozen grass (the frozen tundra!) and crash into the wall right below us. In other cities, people probably would have been pelting him with ice and beer -but in Green Bay, people really respect talent. We knew we were in the presence of greatness.

Too bad he only played for Detroit and they have been a losing team for such a very long time.

glenneaglesfan
02-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Good luck with the Superbowl!

The Six Nations rugby tournament started yesterday with a triumphant return for injury prone Jonny Wilkinson, the hero of the 2003 World Cup.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/jonny.jpg

Ireland v Wales today. I'm half Welsh but the Ireland team are superb at the moment.

Witchy Mummy
02-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Wasn't the match fantastic, Kate?! Good to see Jonny back as well as Jason Robinson. Jonny suffered a bit of a bashing, but still played very well. Let's hope it carries on and he keeps injury free.

There is a god and Jonny is his name :wink:

glenneaglesfan
02-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Yes, it was a wonderful match! Jason was superb as well. Gives us a little pride back!

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm watching "The Road to the Superbowl" and they're recapping the game of the New Orleans Saints vs. the Philadelphia Eagles. Some of you may recall that the Eagles lost that game. They showed a person in the audience holding up the sign: "HELL HAS FROZEN OVER - SAINTS WIN 2007" (For the non-football fans: The New Orleans Saints were a notoriously bad team in the past and had never beaten the Eagles for a championship). Made me chuckle.

02-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Oh - that's a good one, Soda. And Molly, that is also great news about Brett. I am a diehard Miami Dolphins fan so I can relate - it was very painful when Dan Marino retired (still is). :wink:

Now - On to victory Indianapolis Colts!

EasyFeeling
02-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm not so interested in sports, but today the German handball team won the World Cup. I don't know if it's popular in the US. :?

Z
02-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Some of you may recall that the Eagles lost that game.

Some of us remember it all too well!

sodascouts
02-04-2007, 11:13 PM
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!

Freypower
02-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Way to go Colts. Well done. :D

glenneaglesfan
02-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Congratulations to the Colts, and to your handball champions, EF!

Maleah
02-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Congrats to the Colts!!

I had a really hard time deciding who I wanted to win because I liked both teams. but in the end I decided that after the rough last couple of years that Coach Dungy has had......I wanted him and Peyton to get it.

But I wouldn't have been hugely disappointed to watch my fav. player, Brian Urlacher, walk away with it either ;)

And may I add that I was very impressed with the way the Colts handled themselves?! especially Tony Dungy! When I hear him speak, I hear a man of integrity who is highly respected. And I can say the same thing about Lovie Smith!

Freypower
02-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I thought I would share this. Liverpool are now owned by two American ice hockey owners! You can see them posing in front of the legendary This Is Anfield sign and read some fans' reactions.

I guess it's for the good. Just... guys.... the nickname is the REDS. We don't want you to call us the 92ers (the club was formed in 1892).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6335845.stm

glenneaglesfan
02-09-2007, 04:56 AM
I hope it will give Liverpool a chance to compete with Manchester United and Chelsea. Thanks for the link, FP.

Freypower
03-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Liverpool knocked the holders Barcelona out of the Champions League!

The last couple of minutes were really tense. When the crowd sang You'll Never Walk Alone I was in tears. I tell myself it won't happen and it always does.

I don't want to play Chelsea in the quarters AGAIN (or should I say 'I don't want to go to Chelsea'). 8)

sodascouts
03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Glad to hear it! :yay:

glenneaglesfan
03-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Go Liverpool!! Congratulations, FP. Let's hope they continue the run,

glenneaglesfan
03-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Our local football team, Plymouth Argyle, reached the quarter finals of the FA cup, but got knocked out 1-0 by Watford tonight. :(

On the plus side, England beat France in the Six Nations rugby, so with Ireland beating Scotland yesterday, the championship is still wide open. Poor old Wales though, losing on a misunderstanding by the referee...

sodascouts
03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Ugh, it's terrible when that happens.

Freypower
03-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Our local football team, Plymouth Argyle, reached the quarter finals of the FA cup, but got knocked out 1-0 by Watford tonight. :(

On the plus side, England beat France in the Six Nations rugby, so with Ireland beating Scotland yesterday, the championship is still wide open. Poor old Wales though, losing on a misunderstanding by the referee...

I'm sorry for Plymouth but I'm happy for Watford, as an Elton John tragic. I was also not impressed that ManUre were given an extremely dubious penalty to force a replay with Middlesbrough.

Go Ireland in the Six Nations (especially in St Patricks week). :twisted:

Glennsallnighter
03-13-2007, 08:35 AM
The Cheltenham horse racing festival starts today, always a big one with the Irish and English. Champion Hurdle 3:15pm. I'm going for a horse named DETROIT CITY (guess why?) Its not the favourite but does have a tenuous link to Glenn and thats enough for me :D :D

glenneaglesfan
03-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Congratulations to Ireland for winning in Italy yesterday, and to their cricket team who have beaten Pakistan, against all odds! :shock:

Glennsallnighter
03-19-2007, 06:17 PM
On behalf of the nation and our fine teams I'll gladly accept your Congratulations GEF. While I think the Italy win was probably reasonably on the cards we were all amazed by the Pakistan win. Of course however our thoughts are also with the Pakistan team whose coach Bob Woolmer died last Sunday. It can't be easy for them, but I'm sure they'll give their all in their final match! Meanwhile Ireland are expected to meet England in the next stage.

Freypower
03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
I know I shouldn't say this, but how I would love Ireland to meet Australia and beat some of the arrogance out of them.

Glennsallnighter
03-20-2007, 04:56 AM
Personally FP I'd say it'd be the other way round. :o :o Australia are big fish!!

Freypower
03-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Of course there is no way Ireland could beat Australia but I hope someone does. They are too cocky. They have had it too good for too long. After all... it's only cricket.

glenneaglesfan
03-21-2007, 04:47 AM
It would be quite a coup if some team did knock Australia off their perch. I can't see England repeating their World one day series victory somehow, and after Flintoff's antics the other night... :roll:

Sadly, it seems that police are viewing Bob Woolmer's death as suspicious. That would just be too sad if he took his own life over, as you so rightly say FP, what is just a game after all.

Glennsallnighter
04-22-2007, 07:33 PM
The World Snooker Championships started in Sheffield yesterday. I can't believe Steve Davis is out already, beaten by John Parrott. There was a time when these two men met in semi's and finals, not the first round. Davis in particular was one of my sporting heroes of my teenage years in the early and mid eighties.

sodascouts
04-22-2007, 08:27 PM
I wasn't familiar with snooker, so I looked it up. What an interesting form of billiards!

glenneaglesfan
07-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Congratulations to Roger Federer for his fifth consecutive Wimbledon singles final. It was an epic match to five sets, and Rafa Nadal was a worthy opponent who just weakened in the last set. His time will come. Federer is the outstanding player of the moment, IMO, for his all round game. Previous multiple winners like Sampras and Borg have relied on their massive serves. Federer can serve as well, but it is the grace by which he returns backhands, passing shots and volleys which makes him such an entertaining player to watch.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/_42478606_fedwin.jpg

I will add, shallowly, that he wore a white jacket and trousers to accept the trophy, and the back view was astonishingly reminiscent of a certain singer in the 1980s. :shock:

Freypower
07-15-2007, 07:31 PM
This will mean nothing to most of you but allow me a small indulgence.

My rugby league team have had a disastrous season. They are second last in the competition. After they were beaten 56-0 last week the coach resigned. Enter the club's greatest son, Brad 'Freddie' Fittler, who has been groomed for the head coach job but wasn't expected to take over until at least 2009.

I should say there is something in Fittler's face which always made me think he had leadership potential :wink: and in his very first game the Roosters won 23-12.

Here he is getting friendly with the mascot:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/13/fittler1_wideweb__470x256,0.jpg

With the team after the victory:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/15/roostersagain_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

I hope he can turn things around. There isn't one Sydney Roosters fan who doesn't think he can't.

07-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh - I'm slow here, but my congratulations to Roger Federer, too.

And FP - good luck to your Rugby team. It is very frustrating to root for a losing team. I'm a Miami Dolphins football fan, and after many years of being spoiled by a team that always excelled, these past 2 or 3 years have been tough for me. But a true fan must stick by their team through feast and famine. :D

Freypower
07-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Something else... regarding football (soccer) the least said about Australia at the Asian Cup the better. Drawn one, lost one and may be eliminated straight away, after a lot of crap about how we were going to win it on our first attempt.

Molly
09-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Our Milwaukee Brewers baseball team was knocked out of the playoff picture last night by the San Diego Padres. That means, the Chicago Cubs have won our division and will advance into the playoffs. :x Agggghhhh! Anyone but the Cubs!!!!

So, I must invoke the "Curse of the Goat" upon the Cubs. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/goat.jpg

Apparently, in 1945 the gentleman in the picture wanted to take his Billy Goat to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field in Chicago during the 1945 World Series(????). The goat had a ticket and everything! Obviously, the ushers at Wrigley said, Ah, no way! So upon leaving, the man put a curse on the Chicago Cubs, saying that the team would never win the World Series. So far, the curse has worked! They haven't won a title since 1908.

So there ya go, Cubbies! The curse lives! :twisted:

glenneaglesfan
09-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Aw, bad luck for your team, Molly.
I've suffered the same today watching Wales crawling back from certain defeat in the Rugby World Cup, then succumbing in the last minutes.
I like the story of the goat!
Wales used to bring a goat on as their mascot.

Freypower
09-30-2007, 12:32 AM
I know about the Chicago Cubs curse. My Australian love of the underdog means I hope they do OK.

GO MELBOURNE STORM!!!

That's the Rugby League Grand Final tonight. Why Melbourne and not the other team, Manly, from Sydney's northern beaches? Well, I have a very soft spot for the Melbourne team and Manly are the team everyone used to 'hate'.

I am almost hoping England beats Australia in the Rugby quarter final.

SweetHolly
09-30-2007, 12:44 AM
That sucks Molly. I'm hoping the Boston Red Sox will win another World Series. I'm also getting excited about the NHL hockey season starting. I'm a die hard fan of the Dallas Stars and I want them to win another Stanley Cup so badly. I'm also getting excited about the basketball season because I'm hoping this will be the year when the Dallas Mavericks win the championship.

glenneaglesfan
09-30-2007, 12:03 PM
I am almost hoping England beats Australia in the Rugby quarter final.

So am I!

Freypower
09-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Yes, but you're supposed to support England. I'm not.

Melbourne won the Rugby League 34-8 so I'm happy today.

Molly
10-01-2007, 06:31 PM
I know about the Chicago Cubs curse. My Australian love of the underdog means I hope they do OK.

The Chicago Cubs are not underdogs in any sense of the word. Their owners have enough money to put the best players on the field money can buy.

It's their smugness and arrogance that keeps the bad Karma surrounding the team. Oh, and the fact that even with all that expensive talent out there -every year they choke.

If you want to root for an underdog -the Brewers are the ultimate underdog in Major League baseball. Smallest city to have a team -smallest TV market which means the least revenue. Not as much money to throw at talented veterans.

What we have is a good "farm" system that develops young players. Our team is made up of kids that play with so much enthusiasm and youthful exuberance that they are a joy to watch.
No big names -no big pay checks, just a tightknit group that loves to play the game and a small city that has fallen in love with all them.

Freypower
10-01-2007, 07:12 PM
All I meant was I thought they could be regarded as underdogs because of this 'curse'. :?

Molly
10-01-2007, 08:02 PM
All I meant was I thought they could be regarded as underdogs because of this 'curse'. :?

The curse is a myth, of course. It's certainly something we have fun with here in Wisconsin. And, I obviously can't hide my disdain for the Cubs.

More than one Wisconsinite has shown up outside Wrigley Field this past week - goat in tow! If I had a goat -I'd be there as well!
(I don't think my hubby -who's an old goat -qualifies!)

SweetHolly
10-01-2007, 08:32 PM
More than one Wisconsinite has shown up outside Wrigley Field this past week - goat in tow! If I had a goat -I'd be there as well!
(I don't think my hubby -who's an old goat -qualifies!)
This just cracked me up Molly. :rofl:

Molly
10-02-2007, 09:27 PM
It's so much fun to be a Cheesehead right now! http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/18_1_3031-1.gif

Sunday, Packer's Quarterback, Brett Favre broke the all-time NFL touchdown record. Here he is celebrating by picking up and carrying Greg Jennings, the player who caught touchdown pass number 421!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/FavrerecordTD.jpg

SweetHolly
10-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Awesome Molly! 8)

Freypower
11-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread because I've recently had a rugby league player I have always despised, from the team that I hate the most, join my team. You go for years deriding a sportsman and suddenly you're expected to cheer for him. Already I find myself seeing him in a different, more positive light. The whole concept of following sport seems so superficial when your opinions are forced to change like this. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

(An equivalent for English fans would be, for me, Wayne Rooney joining Liverpool. For Americans I suppose it might be someone from the Boston Red Sox joining the Yankees).

Glennsallnighter
11-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Or in Irish GAA circles a confirmed comitted Dublin player 'defecting'to Kerry!

Molly
11-28-2007, 06:49 PM
The first thing instance I thought of was when Chicago Bears quarterback, Jim McMahon (an obnoxious, mouthy individual) was traded to the Green Bay Packers to be be Brett Favre's back-up around 10 years ago. Jim McMahon was very disliked here in Wisconsin -so it was very strange to see him wearing the Green and Gold. He arrived in Green Bay at just the right time-that was the year we won the Superbowl. So, Mr. McMahon has a Superbowl ring courtesy of my team!

Oh, btw -our Packers are 10 and 1 so far this season. Can you say Superbowl?!!!! We are happy, happy Cheeseheads around here!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/18_1_3231.gif

Freypower
11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
The first time you see the guy in your colours (red, white & blue in my case) it is strange. Amazing how quickly you can adjust. I just hope he doesn't do anything stupid and embarrass the fans.

It's funny to hear the term 'Green and Gold' used about another team other than an Australian national team (any sport). :)

glenneaglesfan
11-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Go cheeseheads! Great news, Molly.

Fp and Molly, it must be a novel experience having to cheer for a player previously disliked. In my sport, rugby, teams are much more fluid, so we have to get used to it. The teams also attract international players, so 'enemies' such as All Black Andrew Mehrtens become heroes when they play for Harlequins.

Freypower
11-29-2007, 07:40 PM
I probably made it sound more novel than it actually is. Rugby league players change clubs all the time - but this is a big instance for me of an 'enemy' coming to my club. If Liverpool and Manchester United ever signed each other's players, which they don't, I would be more used to this happening.

Molly
01-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Woo Hoo! I'm a happy happy Cheesehead today! The Packers beat the Seattle Seahawks yesterday at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. If they win again next week (they'll play either the NY Giants or the Dallas Cowboys) they will be heading for the Superbowl!!

Have to feel sorry for the Seattle Seahawks -they didn't stand a snowball's chance of winning yesterday!! :wink:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Lambeausnow.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Lambeausnow2.jpg
Brett Favre is just a big kid! To celebrate the win-he started throwing snowballs (instead of footballs)!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Brettsnowball.jpg

01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Congrats to Cheeseheads everywhere, Molly. I'm going to be rooting for you!

glenneaglesfan
01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Congratulations, Cheeseheads!

That's great news and amazing picures, Molly. We've had some rugby matches in wet conditions, but none in snow so far. Go Packers!!

Mrs Frey
01-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Woo Hoo! I'm a happy happy Cheesehead today! The Packers beat the Seattle Seahawks yesterday at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. If they win again next week (they'll play either the NY Giants or the Dallas Cowboys) they will be heading for the Superbowl!!

Have to feel sorry for the Seattle Seahawks -they didn't stand a snowball's chance of winning yesterday!! :wink:

:lol: Very clever, Molly! Congratulations to your team!

Freypower
01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
As a foreigner it depends on whether you have been to either Boston or New York and how you feel about both places. I love New York with a passion but I have a very soft spot for Boston, plus I have a tie dye Patriots T shirt, plus they went through the season undefeated, so in this case I'll be supporting the Patriots. But most people might back the Giants because they're the underdog. If it were baseball, Boston Red Sox versus New York Yankees, I'd support the Yankees.

Freypower
01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
I apologise for the double post. I tried to delete one of them but for some reason the deletion wasn't successful.

01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
FP - It looks like your delete button worked to delete other people's post even if it didn't delete yours. There were several posts in this thread today that are now gone. :shock:

Molly
01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
As a foreigner it depends on whether you have been to either Boston or New York and how you feel about both places. I love New York with a passion but I have a very soft spot for Boston, plus I have a tie dye Patriots T shirt, plus they went through the season undefeated, so in this case I'll be supporting the Patriots. But most people might back the Giants because they're the underdog. If it were baseball, Boston Red Sox versus New York Yankees, I'd support the Yankees.

I appreciate what you're saying, FP, but many football fans here have a very harsh opionion about the NE Patriots for a variety of reasons. I don't think a lot of people outside the New England area really root for them.

Of course, I'm a frustrated fan today because last night, the Packers pretty much beat themselves. IMHO, they should have beaten the Giants handily.

Ah well, glass half full - I never would have dreamed that we would have the successful season we did have! It was a blast while it lasted.

I'm afraid it's going to be a pretty boring Superbowl this year.

Maleah
01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
I appreciate what you're saying, FP, but many football fans here have a very harsh opionion about the NE Patriots for a variety of reasons. I don't think a lot of people outside the New England area really root for them.

Like the fact that they cheated? :?

Of course, I'm a frustrated fan today because last night, the Packers pretty much beat themselves. IMHO, they should have beaten the Giants handily.

Me too Molly, me too. :( I am SO bummed that the Pack lost. I have always been a fan and I adore Brett (Ex: see the gifts for women thread ;) )......I hope he doesn't retire! I really wanted to see him go out on top...not have his last pass thrown be an interception.

But like you said.....at least they had a good season! I really don't have any interest in the super bowl this year now though :?

01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Fortunately, I was able to go back and retrieve the missing posts that were deleted from this thread. Just for the record, I am going to go ahead and copy them here:

Post by ive always been a dreamer

Aw - I'm sorry to report that Molly's Packers lost in a close game that went into overtime last night. Those are such heartbreaking losses, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Nonetheless, they had a fantastic year far beyond most people's expectations, and have every reason to be proud. Hang your head high, Molly.

So - it's on to the Super Bowl for the New York Giants and the mighty, undefeated New England Patriots.

Post by GlennsAllnighter

Since I haven't a clue, who should I be supporting?

Post by Freypower

GA - Outside of the hardcore fanbase for these two teams, I think most people will choose based on whether they want to root for the favored, powerhouse New England Patriots who have won several Super Bowls in recent years to have a perfect, undefeated season or the underdog New York Giants whose quarterback, Eli Manning, is the younger brother of last year's Super Bowl winner, Indianapolis Colts quarterback, Peyton Manning.

For me, this is easy. The only other time a team has gone an entire season undefeated in the National Football League was the 1972 Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins are my favorite team, therefore, I will be rooting for the N. Y. Giants to beat the Patriots to preserve the '72 Dolphins record of being the only team to finish with a perfect season. And OBTW - the Dolphins almost set another perfect record this year, but the other way around. Sadly, they were only able to win one game this year. But, I'm confident better days are ahead for my team!

Maleah
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Fortunately, I was able to go back and retrieve the missing posts that were deleted from this thread. Just for the record, I am going to go ahead and copy them here:

Hang your head high, Molly.

Just out of curiosity.....how do you hang your head high? :D

For me, this is easy. The only other time a team has gone an entire season undefeated in the National Football League was the 1972 Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins are my favorite team, therefore, I will be rooting for the N. Y. Giants to beat the Patriots to preserve the '72 Dolphins record of being the only team to finish with a perfect season. And OBTW - the Dolphins almost set another perfect record this year, but the other way around. Sadly, they were only able to win one game this year. But, I'm confident better days are ahead for my team!

I hear ya! My favorite teams have always been the Lions (Barry Sanders! w00t! :D ), Vikings, and Packers and other than the Pack.....none have been that great in recent years. But someday they'll turn things around...just as I'm sure the Dolphins will!

Funny note........when I went to a Vikings/Lions game a few years ago, my brother-in-law and I went to the area where the Lion team was loading into their buses and signing autographs after the game. Well, I went up to get Luther Ellis' autograph (he used to be a d. lineman for the Lions) and he took one look at me and went "awww man.....are you TRYING to rub it in or what?" I must have looked as confused as I felt so he gestured to my jacket. Here I was wearing my Miami Dolphins jacket and the week before the 'phins had SERIOUSLY kicked Detroit's butt. I had to grin a little sheepishly. :D

01-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Just out of curiosity.....how do you hang your head high? :D

Okay Maleah - you ask an excellent question here! I think I was supposed to say "hold your head high". However, now I'm not so sure. Being a Dolphins fan, I feel like I have been 'hanging' my head high all year. :D :D :D

I gotta say though, us Dolphin fans are a bit spoiled. As any of you who follow NFL football know, the Dolphins have traditionally been a very good team. They've only had two or three losing seasons in their 40 year history. We are used to them kicking butt. So this year has been particularly hard to swallow. But, as I said, I am confident that they will soon recapture their proud, winning tradition. :wink:

Maleah
01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Okay Maleah - you ask an excellent question here! I think I was supposed to say "hold your head high". However, now I'm not so sure. Being a Dolphins fan, I feel like I have been 'hanging' my head high all year. :D :D :D

Alrighty......just checkin' :D

I gotta say though, us Dolphin fans are a bit spoiled. As any of you who follow NFL football know, the Dolphins have traditionally been a very good team. They've only had two or three losing seasons in their 40 year history. We are used to them kicking butt. So this year has been particularly hard to swallow. But, as I said, I am confident that they will soon recapture their proud, winning tradition. :wink:

Oh without a doubt! The Dolphins have almost always been a very solid team. I've always enjoyed watching them in the past. I'd have to say that they are quite possibly tied for my favorite AFC team along with Tennessee.

Gee.....I'm going to be so bored now that the season is almost over! I love football! woohoo!

01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Gee.....I'm going to be so bored now that the season is almost over! I love football! woohoo!

Ah not to worry, my dear! There seems to be plenty of Eagles activity going on right now to keep you from getting too bored! :D :D :D

Freypower
01-21-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm so sorry. It hasn't been much fun for me recently. I know what I did. I clicked the post above mine instead of mine. :blush:

Maleah
01-21-2008, 10:44 PM

Ah not to worry, my dear! There seems to be plenty of Eagles activity going on right now to keep you from getting too bored! :D :D :D

Oooooo so true!!! Cheered me right up! :D Thanks! ;)

Molly
01-22-2008, 07:44 AM

Like the fact that they cheated? :?

Maleah said it -not me!! LOL! Let's just say, if they do have a "perfect season" hopefully it has a great big ole *asterisk* next to it in the record book.

Dreamer, no one can take away what the Dolphins accomplished. They will forever in a lot of fans minds be the greatest team ever.

NE Patriot's wide receiver Randy Moss with a Superbowl ring is pretty painful for me to think about. He's just a punk. I've heard he's in trouble with the law again -for punching a woman.

The Brett Favre retirement talk has already begun here in Wisconsin. I certainly hope he announces his intentions quickly or it's going to be a very long offseason hearing about it nearly every day.

Gee, I went to church on Sunday and prayed for a victory :wink: ...I just don't know how this happened!

It will take a few days to get overy feeling bummed. I'll try really hard to hang my head high. :wink: Let's just say we're all doing the "Lambeau Weep" instead of the Lambeau Leap!

But...only 10 weeks until baseball season starts! Go Brewers!!

01-22-2008, 01:13 PM
It will take a few days to get overy feeling bummed. I'll try really hard to hang my head high. :wink: Let's just say we're all doing the "Lambeau Weep" instead of the Lambeau Leap!

But...only 10 weeks until baseball season starts! Go Brewers!!

Molly, I'm sure you will recover soon. But all I can say is - forget about baseball season 'cause GOLF season starts in just about two weeks. :blueblob: :partytime: :yay:

Molly
03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
You all know what a football fanatic I am -especially my Green Bay Packers. As many of you have probably heard, this past week, our amazing quarterback, Brett Favre announced his retirement after 17 unbelievable seasons.

Here in Wisconsin, you would have thought that nothing else is happening in the world, it's all anyone can talk about, and pretty much all our local news is showing. I've had to remind myself, the man didn't die, he just retired -people have gotten a little crazy with this around here.

I was very good until I watched his emotional "official" announcement in Green Bay late last week. Then I cried myself silly!

Indulge me to share a few pictures of one of my heroes:

My favorite picture of Brett ever -this one shows how he played -full of spirit and joy for the game
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Brettfavoritepix.jpg
Fighting back the tears at his press conference this week.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Brettsretirementspeech.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Brettawesome.jpg
Goodbye, Brett. See you in the Hall of Fame!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/FavreTunnel.jpg

Glennsallnighter
03-10-2008, 04:24 AM
I'm sure you will see him in the HoF Molly! He sounds like an exceptional sportsman. I hope he has a long happy and healthy retirement. And I totally understand you shedding a few tears at the end of an era!
:hug:

Mrs Frey
03-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Aww, Molly, I can understand how you feel. I felt that way when Gary Kirsten, who played for ten years for the South African cricket team, the Proteas, retired. I'm sure I'm his biggest fan, and I cried when he left the cricket arena for the last time. He was an emotional mess as his fellow players formed a guard of honour for him through which to leave the field, after helping his team to victory yet again. We have a good team, but I still miss him.

I was fortunate enough to meet him on 5 different occasions, and he's a shy and humble man. He posed with me for a photo on one occasion, and I took photos of him on more than one occasion. He also happily autographed my 5 scrapbooks of him (all on one occasion!), which became 6 a year later, and he signed that too, as well as a poster I've had on my wall for 11 years.

03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Molly, I know exactly how you are feeling. I, of course, felt the same way when my football idol, Dan Marino, retired in 1999 after 17 incredible seasons. However, I have been lucky that he has stayed in the spotlight, and it was a huge thrill for me to go to Canton in 2005 to see him inducted into the Pro Football HOF. You will have this same opportunity five years from now, so that'll give you something to look forward too. Brett Favre was an incredible quarterback.

glenneaglesfan
03-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Aw Molly and Dreamer, sorry that your heroes are retiring. Over here, we're just reeling from Scotland beating England in the Six Nations, and Wales beating Ireland to win the Triple Crown. Well done Wales (sorry GA!)

Molly
03-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I was fortunate enough to meet him on 5 different occasions, and he's a shy and humble man. He posed with me for a photo on one occasion, and I took photos of him on more than one occasion. He also happily autographed my 5 scrapbooks of him (all on one occasion!), which became 6 a year later, and he signed that too, as well as a poster I've had on my wall for 11 years.

You're very lucky to have all of those personal memories!

We were lucky enough to see Brett once up close and kind of personal at a celebrity golf tournament (gotta love those golf tournaments!).

My son, Peter was about 5 years old and was I was standing with Peter off the green while Brett and his party finished putting.

As Brett walked past us, Peter pointed and said to Brett, "You have a hole in your sock". He did indeed have a hole hear to top of his sock (he was wearing shorts)! Brett put his fingers to his lips and said to Peter, "Shhhh, don't tell everybody. Besides, these are my good socks!"

Perfect Little Sister
03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh how cute, Mol!!!! I can just picture that exchange. (and your cringe lol) I'm not sure which part I find cuter...the 5 year old honesty or the humor of the hero.

Freypower
03-13-2008, 08:34 PM
I was just at the ABC website and saw a story headlined 'D Day for the Eagles'. I had to look. This is all it is - it won't be familiar to most of you. Any of you, probably.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/14/2189309.htm?section=justin

The West Coast Eagles are the Perth Australian Rules team and are notorious for their bad behaviour in recent years. It is a disease that seems to be taking over sport in this country. Unfortunately it is also affecting Rugby League.

On which subject the season kicks off tonight with a 'local derby' against our old rivals from South Sydney. Just thought I would mention it.....

http://wallpaper.rleague.com/logosyd.jpg

Mrs Frey
03-14-2008, 03:20 AM

You're very lucky to have all of those personal memories!

We were lucky enough to see Brett once up close and kind of personal at a celebrity golf tournament (gotta love those golf tournaments!).

My son, Peter was about 5 years old and was I was standing with Peter off the green while Brett and his party finished putting.

As Brett walked past us, Peter pointed and said to Brett, "You have a hole in your sock". He did indeed have a hole hear to top of his sock (he was wearing shorts)! Brett put his fingers to his lips and said to Peter, "Shhhh, don't tell everybody. Besides, these are my good socks!"

What a lovely story, Molly! Brett seems to be a super personality.

When it comes to our cricketers, the so-called net practices are always open to the public, and therefore I was able to meet with Gary Kirsten, albeit brief meetings, on several occasions. I was always extremely nervous in his presence - there was a time when I thought one of my photos wouldn't come out because I was shaking so much! :blush: But he was lovely towards me. When he signed my 5 scrapbooks all at once, and the crowd surrounding us started to gasp, he commented twice, saying "I should take a look at these sometime" and "My mom would be proud of these!" You can imagine how special that made me feel! :D

glenneaglesfan
03-14-2008, 04:33 PM
That's a cute story, Molly. There's no doubt that a young child is helpful when trying to get the attention of sporting heroes! As a rugby fan, I remember trying to persuade one of my two to come down with me to queue up for Jeremy Guscott's autograph. Not only did I have to fend for myself, but time ran out with just two people ahead of me!

MF, you were lucky to get all your albums signed. Gary sounds like a true gentleman.

Fp, good luck to the Roosters!

Another autograph tale - I have long admired a player called Mike Catt who has played for clubs Bath and London Irish as well as being an inspirational centre for England. For one of my birthdays, hubby wrote to Bath to ask for an autograph. On the big day, I got a mysterious card addressed to "Karen", and signed by another player, Mike Tyndall. Doh!!

Tomorrow, we will see if the newly invigorated Welsh rugby team can beat France in the final weekend of the Six Nations championship.

Glennsallnighter
03-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Over here, we're just reeling from Scotland beating England in the Six Nations, and Wales beating Ireland to win the Triple Crown. Well done Wales (sorry GA!)

No Worries GEF! Best of luck to Wales in their showdown with France. I hope Wales manage to do it! Ireland are playing England today but for both its more a face saving exercise now! (Or in the case of our coach it could be a job saving exercise! - Good luck Eddie!)

glenneaglesfan
03-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Yeah! Wales won the Six Nations Grand Slam!

GA, commiserations to Ireland. No one will be wanting to sing "Danny Boy" for a while!

Glennsallnighter
03-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Well done to Wales GEF! I'm sure you're delighted :D

Yes.....well......the less said about Ireland the better :roll:

glenneaglesfan
06-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Well after a rather bleak weekend for Northern hemisphere rugby, at least we had the play off of the US Open to watch tonight, and after tying at 18 holes, congratulations to Tiger Woods for his tremendous win!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/_44753151_woodswins226index.jpg

In his post match speech he payed tribute to his late father, and there were some cute pictures of his little daughter as well.

Forgive me for posting this other rather nice pic of Tiger and some other guy.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/GlennThousandOaks1.jpg

Glennsallnighter
06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Sporting, and sensational indeed GEF!!

Freypower
06-16-2008, 07:29 PM
And who will win Euro 2008? I would love to see one of the underdog teams like Croatia, Turkey or the Netherlands do it. Or Spain or Portugal. Turkey's win against the Czech Republic was stunning. I am supposed to support Germany but I'm not that enthusiastic.

glenneaglesfan
06-17-2008, 10:29 AM
We are actually going to Croatia for a week on Sunday, so we will be gunning for them. If they get through the match against Turkey this Friday, we'll have the fun of watching the home team in a bar in Dubrovnik next week!

Glennsallnighter
06-18-2008, 05:25 AM
That should be great fun GEF! I hope it works out that way. I'll be dying to hear about Croatia as well. I've heard its beautiful.

Freypower
06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Congratulations to Spain on their Euro 2008 win. Now perhaps Fernando Torres, who scored the goal and is seen here with the trophy, may be inspired to win some titles with his club...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44793000/jpg/_44793401_torres_ap_220.jpg

glenneaglesfan
07-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Congratulations to Spain! We were delayed at Dubrovnik airport on Sunday night, but they had the Euro final on and everyone was quite happy. Interesting that both captains played for English clubs.

Glennsallnighter
07-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes! I thought of that too! It was an entertaining match!

And Congratulations to Venus Williams who beat her sister Serena to life her 5th Wimbledon Tennis trophy earlier today!

TimothyBFan
07-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I am going to change the sport to the All American sport of baseball. Our beloved Chicago Cubs have 7 players in the all star game this year-including my favorite- Geovany Soto the catcher!! WooHoo!!!!!!!!!! :yay:

glenneaglesfan
07-10-2008, 06:09 AM
Great news for you, TBF!

And Congratulations to Venus Williams who beat her sister Serena to life her 5th Wimbledon Tennis trophy earlier today! Congratulations to Venus, and also to Rafa Nadal who beat Roger Federer to win the men's singles in a truly magnificent match which went to 10-8 in the final set.

glenneaglesfan
08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
The Brits are doing surprisingly well in Beijing, but the man of the Olympics so far is one Michael Phelps. Congratulations to him winning EIGHT gold medals!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/_44928985_phelps_gett416.jpg

Apparently he eats 10,000 calories a day!:shock:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/2008/08/michael_phelps_really_big_brea.html

Brooke
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Isn't Michael something?! I've watched each of his events and he is unbelievable! Congrats to him! :thumbsup: :yay::yay::yay:

Thanks for putting him in here, gef! I thought about starting an "Olympics" thread, but was too lazy!

Freypower
08-20-2008, 11:37 PM
I didn't know if the Olympics would be a popular topic so I didn't start one, but I will have a rave now.

First: Phelps is the most astonishing thing I've ever seen. I can't help feeling as an Australian that Ian Thorpe could have been the greatest of all time (I saw Thorpe break two world records on the opening night in Sydney) but Phelps is a phenomenon. And he is from (Chorus): 'OHHHHH, BALTIMORE'....

GEF, I have to say good on the Brits. You may have noticed the embarrassing sour grapes and jingoisim emanating from down here. We hate being beaten by the Brits at anything. Yet when we win gold medals that doesn't stop us parading around with our so-called flag which still contains the British flag, does it? OOPS. Excuse the rant but Australians can be such hypocrites.

Our performance has been driven mainly by our women, particularly the swimmers. It was pointed out today that in Australia men play the big football codes or cricket. There is no encouragement for men to play other sports and so it is no surprise that they have underperformed.

I like seeing winners from countries that otherwise don't rate much of a mention on the global scale. A canoeist from Togo won his country's first ever medal. That's the sort of story I prefer, but Usain Bolt from Jamaica is awesome.

The Australian TV coverage has been a shallow, jingoistic disgrace. Hardly any of it is live (except of course for the swimming) and Australian medals are replayed ad infinitum. Then there are the endless interviews. I mean really - one of our gold medal sailors' AUNT was interviewed. Come on. Good luck to them but can we actually see the Games? I could write about this all day but that's enough.:eyebrow:

sodascouts
08-21-2008, 12:01 AM
I've been watching the Olympics with interest for the past week or so - I love 'em! I too am amazed at Michael Phelps and his amazing 8-medal streak. My entire family was cheering when the US swim team won that heart-pounding swim relay with Jason Lezak pulling ahead of the French team right at the end... wow! Nastia Liukin's amazing routines to win the all-around title... she has such elegance! The stunning stength of the Chinese men's gymnastics team on rings (although ALL those guys were powerful!)... I cannot BELIEVE the way they could just rotate their entire bodies using just two arms hanging from rings! As FP mentioned, the triumph of Benjamin Boukpeti,the African man who won the first medal his country had ever received... it's great. The diving semifinal is on tonight, which I also love to watch. I felt so bad for the young Haley Ishimatsu who didn't make it to the final round - as she's walking off, the sports interviewer comes up to her and says, "Can you tell us how you're feeling right now?" She tries to say "it was a good experience" but bursts into tears. Leave the poor girl alone! She couldn't have been over 15.

Women's beach volleyball ended today, to the disappointment of many men, I'm sure. ;) I can't judge, though. I know my eyes were glued to the screen when those male swimmers were pullin' their swim trunks so low I figured it was gonna get X-rated if they weren't careful! Lean, hard, half-naked bodies, water steaming down muscular chests and chiseled abdomens... nah, I can't judge.

I'm actually glad the beach volleyball is over though. American coverage was spending WAY too much time showing every single match of that at the cost of other, less "aesthetically pleasing" sports.

glenneaglesfan
08-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Fp, it has not gone unnoticed here that some Australians have been having a bit of banter - Brits only winning sports where they sit down, for instance! At least Christine Ohuruogu has proved them wrong winning gold in the 400m hurdle. Coverage here has obviously focussed on Team GB's successes - we are so used to sporting failure that I think it's only fair to celebrate success. However, we have had the opportunity to celebrate other countries' achievements, and there have been many extraordinary moments. We have the pleasure of Michael Johnson commentating on the athletics, and he was as amazed as everyone else as Usain Bolt pulverised his 200m world record.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/athletics/7573079.stm

Natalie Du Toit of South Africa had a magnificent achievement coming 16th in the 10km swim when she is an amputee.

Honourable mention too to Tom Daley, who at 14 is one of the youngest ever Olympians. He came 8th in the synchronised diving last week, and takes part in the 10m heats tomorrow. He is a local lad, from Plymouth, and is the nicest young man you could imagine. He has been training for London 2012, so it was an amazing achievement to qualify for Beijing.

I know my eyes were glued to the screen when those male swimmers were pullin' their swim trunks so low I figured it was gonna get X-rated if they weren't careful! Lean, hard, half-naked bodies, water steaming down muscular chests and chiseled abdomens... nah, I can't judge.

Lol, Soda, I'm sure you meant water 'streaming' down muscular chests, or maybe not!;)

Brooke
08-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I know what you mean about the women's volleyball! The guys wear board shorts and t's. You would think the women could wear something not quite so revealing! I can't imagine hopping around all over the place with such skimpy outfits on! I commented on this to my husband and he said "but that's what they wear. It's tradition!" :wink:

As for the men's swimming outfits.....I know what you mean there, too! I seriously thought it might get x-rated there, too! The way Phelps was jumping around and had pulled the straps down on his suit! I caught a glimpse of an Olympic rings tatoo!

I loved that May/Walsh won the gold in volleyball and Shawn Johnson finally got a gold on the beam. What a smile she had! Nastia Liukin was so graceful, too.

And the Jamaican, Bolt, and the Jamaican girl runner (sorry, her name escapes me) were awesome!

Congrats to all the performers. They are all amazing, actually. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
08-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Well if swimming burns off 10,000 calories a day girls, heigh ho, heigh ho, its off to the pool I go.......:laugh:

No, seriously all those who have competed in the Olympics are worthy of honourable mention.

3 Irish boxers have qualified for their respective semi-finals tomorrow, so they are at least assured Bronze medals. We aren't called the 'fightin' Irish' for nothing!! :wink:

glenneaglesfan
08-24-2008, 01:52 PM
GA, congrats to the Irish on a silver and two bronzes. We watched the closing ceremony this afternoon. I thought the British part wasn't too bad - Boris Johnson managed not to drop the Olympic flag and getting Jimmy Page was quite a coup, and Leona Lewis was pretty good on 'Whole Lotta Love', even if she had to change the lyrics! Becks managed to floor someone with his football kick, but they seemed to be ok.

Back home 'in Blighty' there was a bit of a party going on in London, and somehow Michael Phelps made an appearance, just as the Red Arrows did a flypast. (I'm hoping to see the Red Arrows next weekend http://www.dartmouthregatta.co.uk/airshow8.html). I just hope Team Britain can keep up the momentum.

sodascouts
08-24-2008, 01:55 PM
They haven't aired the closing ceremonies here yet, but I thought of Freypwer when I saw the Aussie platform diver pull off that huge upset over the Chinese last night for the gold medal! Everybody thought the Chinese were unbeatable in diving.

Freypower
08-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Matthew Mitcham was probably our most surprising gold medallist apart from Steve Hooker, the pole vaulter.

I didn't see the closing ceremony but I'm glad Pagey was there (but as for changing the lyrics of Whole Lotta Love.... NO!) and thank goodness Boris (Bo Jo)didn't drop the flag. I can see the who's who of British rock they might get to open London. A jam featuring McCartney, Starr, the remaining Who, Stones and Zeppelin members? Actually Sir Elton will probably do something. He is a natural for this sort of event.

TimothyBFan
09-15-2008, 08:11 AM
My beloved Chicago Cubs won another game last night putting them up in their division by 7 games. To make it even sweeter, the star pitcher, Carlos Zambrano, pitched a no hitter, the first one for the Cubs since 1976. They haven't won a World Series since 1908, at the risk of jinxing them, maybe this is finally the year!:thumbsup:

Brooke
09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Sorry TBF, but anybody but the Cubs is the motto of this huge St. Louis Cardinals fan. :razz:

< ducking and running >

TimothyBFan
09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I understand Brooke--same motto in this household, except in reverse!!!:) My husband has 2 favorite teams-The Cubs and whoever is playing St Louis, you ought to hear him rant about Tony LaRussa, personally, I have always liked him:oops: but don't tell Larry.:wink:

Brooke
09-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I understand Brooke--same motto in this household, except in reverse!!!:) My husband has 2 favorite teams-The Cubs and whoever is playing St Louis, you ought to hear him rant about Tony LaRussa, personally, I have always liked him:oops: but don't tell Larry.:wink:

Tony confuses us at times, too, but he's got a great record with the Cardinals, so I guess he must know something. It seems this year he has wasted many of our great players by not coming up with some pitching though. :-(

Prettymaid
09-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs for clinching the National League Central title!

I know Willie's happy, along with hubby and my Mom! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

TimothyBFan
09-21-2008, 02:33 PM
:applause::cheers::yay::thumbsup:You got that right PM!!!! We were going crazy here-the neighbor even called and told us to keep it down:hilarious: she knows we would be going nuts about it. Now if we can only survive the post season :pray:.

Freypower
09-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Could it be remotely possible that the Cubs will get to the World Series? Or just by typing that have I jinxed them? I know their history. As a lover of the city of Chicago I hope they make it.

My rugby league team were knocked out of the playoffs so I will be supporting either Melbourne or my local team Cronulla in the grand final (they have to play each other next week).

In football Liverpool beat the arch enemy Manchester United, but the other night had an uninspiring nil all draw with promoted Stoke City.:brickwall:

TimothyBFan
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks FP---They've been this far before but we haven't had a team this strong for a LONG time. We all have our fingers crossed but I'm afraid it could send my husband to an early grave.

sodascouts
09-22-2008, 12:03 PM
GO CUBS!!!

Molly
09-22-2008, 05:47 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/goat-1.jpg Sorry Cubs fans, but it's time to bring out the Billy Goat!

TimothyBFan
09-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Oh right Molly-That was just mean!!! There is no curse, there is no curse, there is no curse!!!!:pray:

Molly
09-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Oh right Molly-That was just mean!!! There is no curse, there is no curse, there is no curse!!!!:pray:

I know, I know. I'm sorry. I have to mess with you, I live in Wisconsin and I'm required by State Law to hate the Cubs and Bears.

Besides, if there is a curse, it must be on the Milwaukee Brewers. The curse of the cheese curds or the jinx of the bratwurst or something.

TimothyBFan
09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
And the Bears? Ah Molly!! :fingerwag:

Glennsallnighter
09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Well as I'm completely neutral to all of this I'll just congratulate the winners and commiserate with the losers of these games!!

TimothyBFan
09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Just had to put it here also--you all read it in the Chicago Review thread but Mr Henley asked about our Cubbies last night at the concert and when the White Sox fans booed, he said "hey you guys haven't waited 99 years for it!"
Thank you Don!!!

Molly
09-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Finally, after 26 years, the Milwaukee Brewers have made it into the playoffs!

I know there's no crying in baseball, but I shed a few this past weekend watching the team celebrate their win. It's a very exciting time for us!

Tomorrow night, we head to Philly! Go Brew Crew!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/wildcardwinners.jpg

Glennsallnighter
10-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Well Good Luck to your team Molly and safe travelling!!

TimothyBFan
10-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Chicago White Sox finally clenched it last night. First time since 1908, I think, that both Chicago baseball teams have made it to post season play at the same time!!!!

EagleLady
11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm a big Nascar fan, so, Congrats to Carl Edwards for closing the gap On Jimmie Johnson in the chase for the sprint cup.

glenneaglesfan
11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Yesterday's triumph by Lewis Hamilton is a massive achievement. This guy started life on a housing estate in a run of the mill town in middle England, but thanks to the dedication of his father, who recognised his talent, and worked overtime to help him achieve his ambition, he has become world champion.

Here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/lewishamilton/3285215/Lewis-Hamilton---a-life-in-pictures-Motorsport.html) he is at the age of ten, starting out!

Troubadour
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
How adorable! (Both now and then!) I'm so thrilled for him.

Prettymaid
12-31-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm a big fan of the University of Illinois Fighting Illini men's basketball team and I'd like to congratulate them on winning their first Big 10 conference game last night. They beat the Purdue Boilermakers 71-67 in overtime! (Sorry Soda)

Congratulations Fighting Illini !!!!!!

Freypower
01-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I just thought of something I should have mentioned at Christmas. Liverpool are top of the Premier League. No team who has been top at Christmas has failed to go on and win it. I have very high hopes this time but there is a long way to go. There is also the Champions League. I'd like to see a repeat of 2005 (although not as agonising as that was).

http://static.flickr.com/95/207282241_f8b6523d35_o.jpg

Edit: I just re-read this thread. Some of my posts have been quite amusing. I seem to like posting this crest with the slightest excuse.

I just thought of something else. South Africa just defeated the Australian cricket team 2-0. Unpatriotic as this may sound, I have no time for Australia's cricketers, an arrogant, selfish and unsporting bunch, particularly their obnoxious captain Ricky Ponting. South Africa thoroughly deserved their victory.

Peekaboo
01-02-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm a big fan of college football and my beloved University of Oklahoma Sooners are the number 1 team in the nation. They will be playing the Florida Gators in the national championship game on Jan. 8. I can't wait!!! I'm so excited because i'm actually off of work that night and will get to watch the game. GO SOONERS!!!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/Other/Oklahoma-Football-LOADED-Wa.jpg

01-03-2009, 01:00 AM
PB - I, too, am an avid football fan. However, sadly, I can't be rooting for your Sooners. :wink:

But I am ecstatic that my beloved Miami Dolphins are the NFL AFC East Champions and will be playing the Baltimore Ravens in the first round of the playoffs on Sunday. Of course, I very much want them to win, but if they don't, there is no way that you can declare this season as anything other than a huge success for them. For those of you who don't know, this team is one of the most successful sports franchises ever. However, the last few years, the team had uncharacteristically fallen on hard times. But after an offseason overhall in personnel, they became only the second team in NFL history to make a 10-game improvement in one season. They went from a 1-15 record last year to an 11-5 record this year. Hopefully, they can make history again and win a few more games in the playoffs..

Congratulations Miami Dolphins!!!

Just Another Hired Hand
01-03-2009, 01:40 AM
I don't know how I've missed this thread but I just can't pass it up. MY favorite baseball team, the Philadelphia Phillies are Phinally the World Champions of baseball! I first started to follow them in 1964. Any one who is a baseball fan (based on that little tid bit of information) will understand why I am so psyched about the Phillies winning the World Series.

The team who goes by the same name as our favorite band are in the NFL Play Offs but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I'm holding my breath.

Peekaboo
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
PB - I, too, am an avid football fan. However, sadly, I can't be rooting for your Sooners. :wink:

But I am ecstatic that my beloved Miami Dolphins are the NFL AFC East Champions and will be playing the Baltimore Ravens in the first round of the playoffs on Sunday. Of course, I very much want them to win, but if they don't, there is no way that you can declare this season as anything other than a huge success for them. For those of you who don't know, this team is one of the most successful sports franchises ever. However, the last few years, the team had uncharacteristically fallen on hard times. But after an offseason overhall in personnel, they became only the second team in NFL history to make a 10-game improvement in one season. They went from a 1-15 record last year to an 11-5 record this year. Hopefully, they can make history again and win a few more games in the playoffs..

Congratulations Miami Dolphins!!!

I've always been more of a college football fan than Pro football but I do watch pro football every now and then. My family has always cheered for the Dallas Cowboys but a friend of mine plays for the Baltimore Ravens so we cheer for them as well. As much as I would like to go along with you here, Dreamer, and cheer for the Dolphins, I've gotta support my friend and say Go Ravens!!!

Littlemelly9
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
:headshake:Man, The Dallas Cowboys are not in the play offs:headshake::headshake:

TimothyBFan
01-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I was to embarrassed to post that my beloved Notre Dame Irish won their bowl on Christmas Eve (mainly because I didn't feel that we even deserved a bowl bid with a record like we had this year). They did however break a long losing streak for bowl games.

My beloved Chicago Bears screwed up their chance last Sunday to get into the playoffs. And last night the Colts lost in overtime so they are now out of the playoffs also. I am now watching the Dolphins/Ravens game. Don't really care who wins it all this year.

One of these days, I have hopes that either the Irish will win the championship, the Cubs will take the World Series or the Bears will win another Super Bowl and God help me if all these things happen in the same year--then surely Hell will freeze over!!!

Prettymaid
01-04-2009, 05:47 PM
One of these days, I have hopes that either the Irish will win the championship, the Cubs will take the World Series or the Bears will win another Super Bowl and God help me if all these things happen in the same year--then surely Hell will freeze over!!!

At least if ever that happens The Eagles will tour that year too!

(Hell Freezes Over) ;)

Peekaboo
01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I had to work last night and didn't get to see the game and i just now saw that the Ravens beat the Dolphins. Sorry about your Dolphins losing, Dreamer. They had a good season though. I'm really happy for my Raven friend. I wish him the best of luck in the next round when he faces off against the Tennessee Titans.

01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks PB. As I said before, despite their loss yesterday, the Dolphins more than exceeded expectations this year, so I'm not bitterly disappointed. I have high hopes going into next year that they are only going to get better.

I haven't decided who I'll be rooting for in the NFL playoffs now that Miami has been eliminated.

TimothyBFan
01-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Hey Peekaboo---Just wanted to say I'm sorry your Sooners lost last night. I was really rooting for them to beat Florida. I'm sick of the Florida Gators being so good every year.

Peekaboo
01-09-2009, 04:54 PM
:stunned:

Thanks Willie, but What the heck happened to my Sooners?!!! Man oh man that was a really tough loss. I'm still so sad about it. But this loss doesn't make me support them any less. I've been a Sooner fan for as long as I can remember. The saying goes "I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred, and when I die I'll be Sooner dead." Now I'll just be looking forward to next season.

eaglesvet
01-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I just discovered that one of my clients, Marcus Henry, is a NY Jets wide receiver who just finished his rookie season. The Jets have their training camp in the town where I practice, Madison, NJ. Once my receptionist stopped drooling long enough to tell me who he was, I asked him for his autograph for the 2 Jets fans in my family, my hubby and younger son. He also gave me his rookie card. If anyone cares to know, he and his fiancee/wife (I couldn't tell) own a 4-month-old Boston Terrier terrier puppy named Daisy and a 2-yr-old female pug I haven't met yet.

Peekaboo
01-11-2009, 07:29 AM
I just discovered that one of my clients, Marcus Henry, is a NY Jets wide receiver who just finished his rookie season. The Jets have their training camp in the town where I practice, Madison, NJ. Once my receptionist stopped drooling long enough to tell me who he was, I asked him for his autograph for the 2 Jets fans in my family, my hubby and younger son. He also gave me his rookie card. If anyone cares to know, he and his fiancee/wife (I couldn't tell) own a 4-month-old Boston Terrier terrier puppy named Daisy and a 2-yr-old female pug I haven't met yet.

That's really neat!! How cool is that that he's a client of yours!!

I've mentioned on here before that a friend of mine plays for the Ravens and they won their game against the Titans on Saturday. I will be so incredibly happy for him if they get to go to the Super Bowl. Go Ravens!!

Prettymaid
01-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Congratulations once again to the Illinois Fighting Illini men's basketball team for pulverizing their rivals Indiana 76-45!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ill/sports/m-baskbl/auto_widephoto/2646166.jpeg (http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/011009aaa.html)

01-11-2009, 01:22 PM
EV, that is cool that Marcus Henry is one of your clients. I have to say though that as an avid Miami Dolphins fan, I'm not that fond of his team since the Jets are one of the Dolphins biggest rivals. Now, that is about as gracious as I can be. :wink: :wink: Seriously though, he is very talented and a nice guy, I'm sure.

eaglesvet
01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I personally don't have an actual alliance to the Jets, or to any team; only 50% of my family does.. I'm fairly on the outskirts of pro football. I'll probably get interested once the Super Bowl teams are finalized, and only because I know this season has had so many ups and downs that all along it's been anybody's ballgame (so to speak) to take the championship. The main reason I'll be most interested in this year's SB is to see my other main man and band, the Boss and the E Streeters, at halftime!

I guess if the Jets training camp is in town now, we may start seeing more of their team bringing in their cuddly little pets, so I may become a fan just because of that!

I have an even better story to tell in another thread that I've been dying to tell, but I've had to stall in writing about it. I had to promise secrecy :shh: for a period of time, and soon that time will be up....How's that for stringing y'all along??

eaglesvet
01-12-2009, 01:43 PM
That's really neat!! How cool is that that he's a client of yours!!

I've mentioned on here before that a friend of mine plays for the Ravens and they won their game against the Titans on Saturday. I will be so incredibly happy for him if they get to go to the Super Bowl. Go Ravens!!
That would be great !! Is he a close enough friend to get you tickets?
That would be the chance of a lifetime.

Prettymaid
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I have an even better story to tell in another thread that I've been dying to tell, but I've had to stall in writing about it. I had to promise secrecy :shh: for a period of time, and soon that time will be up....How's that for stringing y'all along??

Oh my gosh, EV, what a teaser!

Peekaboo
01-12-2009, 10:07 PM
That would be great !! Is he a close enough friend to get you tickets?
That would be the chance of a lifetime.

His wife and I are close friends. We were roommates in college for 2 1/2 years and he lived with us for the majority of the time. I just realized today that i will be in Florida the same weekend as the Super Bowl. I'll be in St. Pete, which is only about 15-20 minutes from Tampa. So if the Ravens go all the way I might get to see my friends while i'm there.

eaglesvet
01-13-2009, 01:50 AM
I would make sure you see them in the football stadium!

eaglesvet
01-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Oh my gosh, EV, what a teaser!

Patience, PM...

Peekaboo
01-14-2009, 12:21 AM
I would make sure you see them in the football stadium!

Well it's a nice thought but i don't want to be pushy about it to them. I don't know if they would be able to give out tickets to family and friends if they go to the Super Bowl but I would much rather get to see my old friends than have tickets to the game.

EagleLady
01-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Sadly My Eagles won't be going to the Super Bowl. :-(

Just Another Hired Hand
01-19-2009, 12:26 AM
My Eagle won't be going to the Super Bowl either. I'll say what is said every year in Philadelphia..."Maybe next year."

EagleLady
01-19-2009, 12:43 AM
:headshake:

AzEaglesFan
01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
This is the first Super Bowl that the Az Cards have EVER been in so I have to brag on them, it may be the only chance I will ever get. GO RED:partytime:

EagleLady
01-19-2009, 01:29 AM
:fight:

AzEaglesFan
01-19-2009, 02:09 AM
:fear: :pray:

EagleLady
01-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Sorry AZ, I am a bit upset Philly didn't make the Superbowl, but congrats to The Cardinals for making their first.

TimothyBFan
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
My Eagle won't be going to the Super Bowl either. I'll say what is said every year in Philadelphia..."Maybe next year."

JAHH--Are you sure you're not a Chicago Cub Fan? You sure sound like one to me!:hilarious:

01-19-2009, 12:00 PM
AzEaglesFan - I know you must be elated and I am very happy for you and the Cards. I wish them well in the Super Bowl, but win or lose, they and their fans must be very proud and have to be relishing this moment. After all, I believe it's been over 60 years since they saw anything similar to this:

Congratulations to the NFC Champion Arizona Cardinals!!

Peekaboo
01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
:-( :-( :-( I'm so bummed that the Ravens didn't make it to the Superbowl. But they had a great season though and i'm so proud of my friend for making it that far. I'll be eagerly waiting for next fall when football starts up again.

Also, I hope the Raven player that was carted off the field is going to be okay. That was a very hard (and scary) hit that he took. My prayers are with him.

Peekaboo
01-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Well this may not be on ESPN but i'm very proud of my little sporting sensation....My neice Natalie (we call her Nat Nat) joined the 4 year old soccer team at the local YMCA. She was scared at first but she got our there and did a pretty darn good job. I'm so proud of my little Nat Nat. :thumbsup:

EagleLady
01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
http://www.holytaco.com/ultimate-super-bowl-snack-stadium Here is something made for the Super Bowl

TimothyBFan
01-29-2009, 03:01 PM
That's just disgusting--BUT I would probably eat everything there, except don't quite get the bacon-I mean bacon and twinkies? Yuck!!!

EagleLady
01-29-2009, 03:04 PM
:lol: I would go for the twinkies first. but I concur, Bacon and Twinkies, Nasty combination :yuck:

eaglesvet
01-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Tooo funny! I love the description of the construction of it. The wild Cheetos fans! Check out that calorie count, huh? One of the comments quite a ways down said that he would make it with a defibrillator at the base, so as to be ready for any cardiac arrests resulting from consumption of this snack--:hilarious::hilarious:!

EagleLady
01-30-2009, 12:25 AM
:hilarious: No Kidding, when I saw how many calories, I went woah :jawdrop:

02-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Well - this is Super Bowl Sunday here in the U.S. - it's becoming almost like a national holiday. I'm probably off the board for the rest of the day because I've got lots of cooking to do for the big event this evening. I'll be pulling for the Arizona Cardinals. I always root for the underdog when I don't have a clear favorite. Since this is the Cards very first Super Bowl appearance, I would like to see them win it all.

eaglesvet
02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm with the Cardinals as well...it would be great if they won it! I love it when underdogs come out on top! Unlike you, Dreamer, I am doing as little cooking as possible. BTW, does anyone remember what team Glenn:heart: coaches in Jerry Maguire? :D And it has absolutely nothing to do with my pick to win.:thumbsup:

Troubadour
02-01-2009, 06:55 PM
I hope all of you in the States are having a great Super Bowl Sunday. I wish I could be there to experience it - it sounds like a lot of fun!

I try to watch the baseball coverage from America when I can, but it's only shown post-midnight on Wednesdays and Sundays. Not particularly ideal! I'd like to get into watching US sports more though.

I'm looking forward to the Six Nations rugby starting next Saturday. England v Italy. I'm off work that afternoon so I can watch it. Wish us luck!

Brooke
02-01-2009, 08:44 PM
We're for the Cardinals, too, since they used to be the St. Louis Cardinals football team and also since Kurt Warner was a St. Louis Ram and won the Super Bowl with them a few years ago. We wish him well.

Prettymaid
03-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Well, it's time for the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament here in the states, affectionately called MARCH MADNESS!

My beloved Fighting Illini are a number 5 seed and they are playing no. 12 Western Kentucky in Portland tonight (treat them good, Ticky!)

ILL - INI

GO ILLINOIS!!!!!!!!

ticky
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
huh huh huh College basketball boys? We'll treat em reeeealy good hehe I'll send Jenni and her girl friends down there! *G* but uhh... if they're in Portland.. they're playing Portland State?
Best of Luck to both teams!!!

TimothyBFan
03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Well my beloved Fighting Irish didn't make the NCAA tournament this year only the NIT! How embarassing after the way our season started out so good. On the other hand, the Irish women's team got into their tournament and the Irish Hockey team is doing great in their tournament. We might get a championship here yet this season!

Anyways, to be honest this year I don't care who wins except all the teams I filled my bracket out with! :thumbsup: I could use a little extra cash. A bunch of us (the family and friends I was talking about in the What's Happening thread) pitch in $5.00 every year, fill out a bracket and then after the tournament, all go out for dinner where we find out who's bracket won the most games and that person gets the pot. It's fun, even for those that don't follow the game. I do follow and have picked Louisville & Pittsburgh in the final game and Louisville to win! We will see.

Prettymaid
03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
That sounds fun, TBF. For the last couple of years I have joined in hubby's office pool. I've never won anything but it's fun. This year I picked Memphis to go all the way! (I figure they're upset because they didn't get a #1 seed so they're in the "we'll show you" mindset!

TimothyBFan
03-19-2009, 01:27 PM
That's who Larry picked also-tho his was just a guess because he doesn't follow basketball. In fact, when he decided to start watching Notre Dame basketball this year is when they started losing, after 6 in a row a couple friends & I cut him off! :hilarious:

Prettymaid
03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
huh huh huh College basketball boys? We'll treat em reeeealy good hehe I'll send Jenni and her girl friends down there! *G* but uhh... if they're in Portland.. they're playing Portland State?
Best of Luck to both teams!!!

Lol! No, it's the tournament - they're playing Western Kentucky. C'mon Ticky, get with the program! :hilarious:

Brooke
03-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh, no, no, no ladies! :fingerwag:

It's the Dukies all the way! :blueblob:

I should be for Mizzou, but they haven't been playing that well recently. I wish they could win in, but it's not likely.

I don't watch the games much, but hubby is a BIG college BB fan and would watch every game if it were possible. Seriously.

Prettymaid
03-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Have you guys looked at the score of the Memphis - CS Northridge game lately? It's tied up 47 all with 12 min. left in the second half! I'm scared!:fear:

Brooke
03-19-2009, 02:05 PM
As you know, Pm, 12 minutes is tons of time for anything to happen.

Prettymaid
03-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Whew, Memphis pulled it off, but seriously, they were playing a #16 seed. What's this say about how they're going to play the rest of the tourney?
:fear: I'm still scared!

Prettymaid
03-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Purdue just won - Soda should be happy! Heck, they're a Big 10 team - I'm happy!

Prettymaid
03-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Sadly, my Illini lost last night to Western Kentucky 76-72. They trailed the whole game and tried to make a run during the last few minutes, but just ran out of time. As they say in the NCAA, you're one and done. Lose one game and you're finished. So they'll fly back home today and get lots of cheers for a great season. Can't wait 'til next year!

TimothyBFan
03-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Sure hope my luck holds out--Out of the 16 teams that advanced yesterday, I had 14 of them right!!:partytime: I keep that up--I'll have that $$ in my wallet by beginning of April. :hilarious: Like that will happen--I'm never that lucky!!

Prettymaid
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
I had 13 right, Willie. Of course, one of my wrong choices was Illinois - I couldn't betray them in the first round!

If your bracket game is like ours, the points build as you get closer to the championship. Therefore, these 1st round games are only worth 2 points and anything can happen!

Peekaboo
03-20-2009, 07:04 PM
That's who Larry picked also-tho his was just a guess because he doesn't follow basketball. In fact, when he decided to start watching Notre Dame basketball this year is when they started losing, after 6 in a row a couple friends & I cut him off! :hilarious:

My friends and family have done the same thing with me, Willie. Because of work I haven't gotten to watch a lot of the Oklahoma Sooners guys basketball games but the few that i have gotten to watch they lost so every Sooner fan I know had to tell me to quit watching them. I have to be satisfied with the highlights on ESPN. The OU guys and girls bb teams have done an excellent job this season. At one point during the season, they were both ranked #2 in the country. GOOD LUCK to both of my guys and girls teams in the NCAA tournament. GO SOONERS!!!

glenneaglesfan
03-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Apologies if I haven't kept up with this thread, but I'd like to give a big shout to the Ireland rugby team who have won the Grand Slam for only the second time since 1948. It was an edgy game against my favourites Wales, but I was gunning for Ireland, and their captain, Brian O'Driscoll, desreved man of the match.

Lisa, congratulations and have a drink on me!

Glennsallnighter
03-21-2009, 06:28 PM
I will thanks, Kate. I'm hoarse from screaming. You just beat me to this as I was uploading a pic of the winners to PB. Here they are now

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/grand_slam_splash.jpg

The last time they won the 'Grand Slam' was in 1948 as GEF says.......

..... Now what other important event occurred in 1948....:headscratch:?

EagleLady
03-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Would that be the year a Certain member of The Eagles was born? ;)

Freypower
03-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I will thanks, Kate. I'm hoarse from screaming. You just beat me to this as I was uploading a pic of the winners to PB. Here they are now

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/grand_slam_splash.jpg

The last time they won the 'Grand Slam' was in 1948 as GEF says.......

..... Now what other important event occurred in 1948....:headscratch:?

RESULT!!!!

At times like this it's good to be 'pretend Irish'.

Some interesting times in the English Premier League too. Last week Liverpool defeated Manchester United 4 - 1 at Old Trafford. Then Man U lost 2 -0 to Fulham and Chelsea lost 1 -0 to Spurs, while Liverpool beat Aston Villa 5 - 0. They are only one point behind now. They drew Chelsea in the quarter finals of the Champions League however, AGAIN.

Troubadour
03-22-2009, 11:14 PM
I'll add my belated congrats to Ireland! We were rooting for them yesterday. Very exciting to watch.

Brooke
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Molly, I'm so sorry, but we just had to do it.

MIZZOU beat Marquette to advance!

Molly
03-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Molly, I'm so sorry, but we just had to do it.

The majority of hubby's family is from Missou...so I guess if someone had to beat us -I can live with it. Congratulations! The second half was certainly exciting!!!

We were really into the game as a family (besides Peter going to MU -hubby is an alum). Peter watched the game at the student annex with his fraternity brothers.

I was glad to see Dominic James get a chance to play even though his broken foot obviously hampered his abilities quite a bit. Peter has met him thru friends and has hung out with him and says he's a great guy. I cringed every time they showed him on the sidelines chewing on his towel! Eeeewwww...just thinking about it makes my teeth hurt!

Glennsallnighter
03-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Would that be the year a Certain member of The Eagles was born? ;)

It would indeed EL :wink:

FP and Troub, thanks for the support!

FP, Have I said how HS&G your new av is? :inlove:

EagleLady
03-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I concur with Lisa, Your avatar is extremely gorgeous FP :inlove:

Peekaboo
03-23-2009, 11:47 PM

Ooh Brooke!!! We are definitely rivals within the Big XII but with the exception of the Texas Longhorns, i'll root for other teams in the Big XII conference. Good luck to Mizzou and congrats on winning the conference championship. Wish I would've had more time to check out their campus while i was there but we didn't get the chance to.

My Oklahoma Sooners (the guys) have made it to the Sweet 16. And the girls team has advanced to the next round as well. I'm not allowed to watch the games anymore because as I mentioned before, 3 of the 4 OU guys bb games i've watched, they lost. My friends and family have cut me off. But still that won't stop me from yelling out BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

invitation
03-24-2009, 10:58 AM
The Brit sensations — aged 23 and 14 — landed the British Grand Prix and girls’ singles title at Wimbledon. They lifted the gloom of the credit crunch and a string of sporting flops, giving the nation a massive boost. And last night thrilled Lewis said: “It’s been a great weekend for British sport — let’s hope it continues.”
The hero McLaren driver stormed home at Silverstone yesterday, finishing an amazing 68.5 seconds ahead of BMW Sauber rival Nick Heidfeld.

Peekaboo
03-27-2009, 10:05 PM
WOOO HOOO!!!! The Sooners just beat Syracuse and are on their way to the Elite 8. Brooke, Congrats to Mizzou for advancing as well. Now we just need Kansas to move on too. Of course I want my Oklahoma Sooners to win it all but I would be happy if Mizzou or Kansas won. Just as long as it's a Big XII team. GO SOONERS!!!!!

Prettymaid
03-29-2009, 01:32 PM
The only team advancing from the Big 10 is Michigan State, so I will be rooting for them!

Brooke
03-29-2009, 07:46 PM
:sad: My MU Tigers lost, but they put up a good fight.

Peekaboo
03-30-2009, 11:13 AM
My OU guys team lost to North Carolina yesterday but the girls won and are on their way to the Elite 8. Good luck to the Sooner women's basketball team.

Peekaboo
04-02-2009, 07:28 PM
The Oklahoma Sooners women's basketball team has made it the Final Four!!! If they win on sunday they will be in the National Championship game. Good luck Sooners!!!

TimothyBFan
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Jess-I meant to post about that earlier this week (since those ladies beat our beloved Irish to get there! :-() Congrats to them!!!

BTW---3 days till Cubs opener on Monday in Houston!!!:blueblob: The Boys Of Summer are ready to go!!! :yay:

Peekaboo
04-06-2009, 09:07 AM
It's a sad day in the Sooner state. :sad: The OU Sooners lost to Louisville in the Final Four game last night. I watched the last 5 minutes at work and everyone was in such a pissy mood after the game was over, including myself. University of Oklahoma sports is such a big deal where I live so it really breaks the heart of every Oklahoman when OU loses (except for maybe Oklahoma State University fans).

TimothyBFan
04-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Opening day for the Chicago Cubs today in Houston!!! Let's just hope this is THE YEAR, but as a true Cubs fans know--never hold your breath!! Go Cubbies!!!

Prettymaid
04-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Michigan State will be playing in the NCAA championship tomorrow night. Go Big 10!

Brooke
04-06-2009, 04:20 PM
The St. Louis Cardinals season opener is tonight also!

:yay: Go Redbirds!

TimothyBFan
04-07-2009, 08:39 AM
The Cubs are undefeated!!! (might be the only time this year I can say that!)

Brooke --Sorry about your birds! :hilarious: Being a Cubs fan-of course I can't say that with a straight face! :)

melrose
04-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, my Reds lost their season opener :sad: Hopefully they can get their heads in the game soon.

Paint the town Red, boys!!!

Brooke
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
The Cubs are undefeated!!! (might be the only time this year I can say that!)

Brooke --Sorry about your birds! :hilarious: Being a Cubs fan-of course I can't say that with a straight face! :)

Too funny about the Cubs being undefeated. It won't last long! :eyebrow:

You are a bad girl, TBF. The heat is on! :fight:

EagleLady
04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice Glenn reference Brooke ;)

TimothyBFan
04-14-2009, 08:08 AM
One of my childhood sports heroes died yesterday in an accident on his farm at the age of only 54.

Mark Fidrych was a pitcher back in the mid 70's with the Detroit Tigers and was quite the nut--carrying on full conversations with the ball and manicuring the mound. His career was pretty short lived but he left quite the impression on the baseball community!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_jU0b5Hgw

Freypower
04-16-2009, 09:17 PM
TBF, I actually knew of Mark Fidrych because he was one of the few sporting stars to make the cover of Rolling Stone. I have the complete book of RS covers and they say about him that he didn't live up to his early promise.

Now this is not a sensation, its an anniversary. 20 years ago 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death at Hillsborough Stadium before an FA Cup semi final. I present without further comment a couple of images from the BBC. As a Liverpool supporter the memory of this still resonates and hurts.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45667000/jpg/_45667334_youngfan_getty.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45667000/jpg/_45667735_liverpoolfans_pa.jpg

This is the memorial.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45665000/jpg/_45665999_memorial_pa.jpg

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 09:36 PM
These are both sad events, but the crushing of so many people is such a tragedy. It's hard to understand how such a thing could happen.

TimothyBFan
04-17-2009, 09:09 AM
I actually remember when that happened!! Such a heartbreaking thing!!

Glennsallnighter
04-22-2009, 04:25 AM
I remember that day too, and it doesn't seem like 20 years ago. I had just gone on duty at work when a few staff started bringing in the news and the radio and tv covered little else for the weekend. Remember too, it was less than 4 years since the Heysl Stadium disaster and the wounds from that event were still very raw for many.
Probably the saddest story I heard was that of a family whose 2 and only children (daughters) had gone to the Match in Hillsborough. Both were killed in the crush leaving the parents with nobody.

I'm sure the memories this week are indeed still very upsetting for the families involved.

TBF I'm sorry to hear of the death of you hero. may he rest in peace.

Peekaboo
04-25-2009, 02:28 AM
Some of you here know that I am a huge Oklahoma Sooners fan. The University of Oklahoma girls basketball team had a great season this year. The star of the team is/was Courtney Paris. She is an amazing basketball player. She has accummulated so many records in her 4 years at OU that may never be broken. She'll be playing pro basketball next year, i think she was drafted #7. She's a big deal here in Oklahoma, like a superstar. Anyways, I saw her at the casino I work at. When I came off my break, she was playing blackjack. I was sooo hoping that I would get the chance to deal to her. I after dealing to 3 tables, I was finally at the table next to her and I was getting all excited knowing that I was coming up to the table she was at. Of course this would happen to me, she was already gone by the time I got there. I wouldn't have said anything to her but I just thought that it would've been really cool to get to deal to her. Bummer. Maybe she'll come back again.

EagleLady
05-24-2009, 04:36 PM
:yay: Congrats Helio Castroneves on winning the Indianapolis 500

TimothyBFan
08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Wanted to revise this thread just to say....

The Cubs sure are stinking up this season. This season has become so miserable and painful to watch every night. But I had such high hopes last night because Jeff Samardzija (former Notre Dame football & baseball star!) was to be the starting pitcher for the first time and only to have him give up 7 runs in the first 4 innings and then have his relief pitcher give up another 6 in his first inning in. Final--Phillies 12 Cubs 5! OUCH!!!!!!
http://midwestswing.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/jeffsamardzija.jpg
At least Jeff looked good doing it!!

Thank goodness Football season is just around the bend and the Chicago Bears actually play this coming Friday. Go Jake Cutler!!!!!

Prettymaid
08-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Jeff is a cutie and looks damn good in his cubbie uniform!

Molly
08-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Oh my gosh, Willie, he looks so young! I'd feel like a dirty old lady gawking at him.

I feel your pain with your cubbies. 6 weeks ago (around Father's day and hubby's b-day) the boys and I spent $500 dollars getting primo tickets for a Brewer's game that's coming up in about 10 days.

There's a TGI Friday's restaurant in Miller Park and for the money, you can get a seat on their open terrace (it hangs out over the field), plus dinner and drinks. We've always wanted to try sitting there-it looks amazing. So, Tom, Peter and I coughed up the cash as a gift for Steve. At the time, the Brewers were in 1st place in the NL Central.

Now they're 7.5 games behind the Cardinals (grrrrr Tony La Rusa) and today I read in the paper that my favorite player (Jason Kendall ) is expected to get a lot less playing time because of his poor batting lately.
With my luck, the backup catcher will be starting the day we go!!!!

:-x:-x:-x $500!!!! Plus the $30 I just spent on a Jason Kendall shirt!!

TimothyBFan
08-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Jeff is a cutie and looks damn good in his cubbie uniform!

He looks damn cute out of a Cubbie uniform too. (unfortunately after his bad game the other night, they sent him back down to the minors :-()

And yes Molly--I am a dirty old lady!!! :hilarious: He is only 25 years old but he is just such a cutie. You should of saw him at Notre Dame---what a kid he was back then. A real sweetie!!!

I empathize with you on the tickets. It just so happens we had 11 Cubs tickets for Sept 11 that we just sold. That's Freshman weekend for my son at IU and so we had to change our plans and when we did everyone else bowed out also. Easy to sell them tho. Even tho the Cubs do lousy, they still always sell tickets!! Can fill a stadium no matter how good they're doing.

http://chicagocubsonline.com/jeffsamardzija-pub.jpg

FP--Your football is soccer right? I have a lot of Sweet friends and they are always talking about their teams on that board. It seems I've heard one of them talk about New Castle before.

Freypower
08-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes, what Americans refer to as 'soccer', the rest of the world calls 'football'.

eaglesvet
08-15-2009, 05:20 PM
He looks damn cute out of a Cubbie uniform too. (unfortunately after his bad game the other night, they sent him back down to the minors :-()

And yes Molly--I am a dirty old lady!!! :hilarious: He is only 25 years old but he is just such a cutie. You should of saw him at Notre Dame---what a kid he was back then. A real sweetie!!!

I empathize with you on the tickets. It just so happens we had 11 Cubs tickets for Sept 11 that we just sold. That's Freshman weekend for my son at IU and so we had to change our plans and when we did everyone else bowed out also. Easy to sell them tho. Even tho the Cubs do lousy, they still always sell tickets!! Can fill a stadium no matter how good they're doing.

http://chicagocubsonline.com/jeffsamardzija-pub.jpg

FP--Your football is soccer right? I have a lot of Sweet friends and they are always talking about their teams on that board. It seems I've heard one of them talk about New Castle before.
I'm right beside you two ladies, gawkin' away! :nod: What's a couple decades' age difference, anyway??:heybaby: (That's also what I'm thinkin' when I look at the likes of, say, David Cook...Oh, that might be a little less than a couple decades? I think he's a wee bit older than this young 'un!)

Brooke
08-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Jeff is a cutie. Sorry to hear about his bad luck. It's probably cause he's wearing the wrong uniform! :twisted:

Now, when he gets himself back together, maybe he should check out some of this guys moves:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/albert_pujols_jpg.jpg

King of the St. Louis Cardinals :twisted:

Oh yeah. We're six (6) games out front! :smokin:

Molly
08-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Jeff is a cutie. Sorry to hear about his bad luck. It's probably cause he's wearing the wrong uniform! :twisted:

Now, when he gets himself back together, maybe he should check out some of this guys moves:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/albert_pujols_jpg.jpg

King of the St. Louis Cardinals :twisted:

Oh yeah. We're six (6) games out front! :smokin:

You're too nice and I like you too much, Brooke, for me to post what came to mind when I read this. ;)

TimothyBFan
08-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Brooke--:steviesmack: I'm with Molly-I really like you to much. :hilarious:

Actually Larry is hoping we see him in a Bears uniform someday soon. I really don't know why he chose baseball over football in the first place.

Trust me tho, I wish the Cubs had Albert!! I want one!

Molly
08-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Brooke--:steviesmack: I'm with Molly-I really like you to much. :hilarious:

Actually Larry is hoping we see him in a Bears uniform someday soon. I really don't know why he chose baseball over football in the first place.

Trust me tho, I wish the Cubs had Albert!! I want one!

At least we have a Prince! Prince Fielder is having an MVP kind of a year-but Albert is having an uberMVP kind of a year.

Freypower
08-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Liverpool lost their first game 2-1 to Tottenham Hotspur which had the 'critics' instantly writing them off. Last night they beat Stoke City 4- 0.

Possibly an even better result was Burnley, a small town in Lancashire who haven't been in the Premier League for nearly 40 years, beating the allegedly mighty (HA)! Manchester Utd 1 - 0. :partytime:

Molly
08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
We had the most awesome seats at the Brewer's game Tuesday night! We bought a table for the evening at the restaurant located inside Miller Park. The table was right over the Brewer's bullpen. (for the non-baseball enthusiasts-the bullpen is the area the pitching staff hangs out during the game. If they are called upon to pitch during the game, this is where they warm up before heading out onto the field.)

I could literally hang over the railing, and if they reached up we could have touched fingers with them. I got soooo excited when my favorite Brewer (Jason Kendall-the catcher) came into the bullpen before the game to help warm up the starting pitcher. I didn't expect that. Glad I wore his jersey (which he noticed-got a smile)

Jason Kendall right below me:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/DSCN0021.jpg

Pitchers stretching and warming up
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/DSCN0035.jpg

All Star Ryan Braun Butt!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/DSCN0044.jpg

Hubby's favorite player warming up:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/DSCN0094.jpg

Brooke
08-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow! Very cool Molly!