PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "There Goes the Neighborhood"!

sodascouts
05-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Joe's first solo album after the Eagles broke up, There Goes the Neighborhood (http://www.joewalshonline.com/solo/neighborhood/index.htm), was released on this day in 1981. In honor of that, here's some songs from it that you can take a listen to - and if you like what you hear and don't have it already, you can of course buy the album at places like Amazon!

Things

Made Your Mind Up

Down on the Farm

Rivers (of the Hidden Funk)

Life of Illusion

Bones

Rockets

You Never Know

sodascouts
05-15-2010, 07:49 PM
There was a commercial video for Life of Illusion, but I can't find it on YouTube. You can download it from JoeWalshOnline.com (http://www.joewalshonline.com/solo/moviestv/lifeofillusionvideo.htm), though, or stream it here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2196y_joe-walsh-life-of-illusion_music

Ive always been a dreamer
05-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks for posting these Soda. I haven't listened to them for quite a long time, so I'm gonna have to do that soon in honor of the album's 29th anniversary. I love both the song and video for A Life of Illusion, and as some of you will remember, I successfully lobbied very hard for this video to win the Joe Video Survivor game. :yay:

Freypower
05-17-2010, 01:46 AM
I like this album a lot, particularly Things, Life Of Illusion, Made Your Mind Up & Rockets. I always wonder if You Never Know is Joe's All Those Lies/Nobody's Business i.e at least partially about the breakup.

TimothyBFan
05-17-2010, 09:37 AM
One of my all time fave Joe songs on here, Life Of Illusion. Love that video also Dreamer!! Was always a fan of Rivers also.

05-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I wanted to revive this thread in recognition of today being the 30th anniversary of the release of There Goes the Neighborhood. Congratulations!

Soda has videos posted of the entire album in the first post of this thread. IMO, this is a pretty good album and definitely worth giving a listen if you're unfamiliar with it. To me, Life of Illusion is one of my alltime favorite Joe solo songs. Here is the album's track list ...

Things
Made Your Mind Up
Down on the Farm
Rivers (of the Hidden Funk)
A Life of Illusion
Bones
Rockets
You Never Know

WalshFan88
05-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Congrats!

I agree with Dreamer, "Life Of Illusion" is a great Joe tune.

"Life's Been Good" is my favorite Joe Walsh song and it will always be my favorite but he has had a lot of great solo songs. I wish he'd hurry up and release his upcoming album!

whitcap
05-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Bringing this thread forward for the anniversary of "There Goes the Neighborhood" which was released 31 years ago this past Tuesday (5/15). Rivers (of the Hidden Funk) and A Life of Illusion are two of my favorite Joe songs.

mustangkim11
05-21-2012, 05:45 AM
I'm going to be ordering this one at some point soon from Amazon, since I can'tget it on iTunes. I think that 'A Life of Illusion' is one of my top Joe songs by far. I never get tired of hearing it.

mustangkim11
05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Just ordered this CD off of Ebay for about $25.00. I think it will be worth it. After reading all of you talking about this album, I' figured it would be a worthy purchase.

:headbang::guitar::rockguitar:

sodascouts
05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Definitely worth it, Kim. I have a feeling you're going to love it!

mustangkim11
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it's worth it by far! Just got my copy from Ebay and it's great.

'Down On The Farm' got me LOL when I listened to this at work the other day. I've been cranking Joe daily on the iPod and that song came up.

I love 'A Life Of Illusion', always have.

'Rockets' is a sweet love song.

As I get more into this, I'm sure I'll write more about some of the other songs.

sodascouts
05-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Happy 32nd birthday to There Goes the Neighborhood!

sodascouts
05-16-2014, 01:52 AM
And this year, it turns 33!

WalshFan88
05-16-2014, 01:59 AM
Happy 33rd "There Goes The Neighborhood".

I have to shamefully admit I see this one every time I go in my record store locally but never buy it. I just don't like enough of the songs on it to buy it. I have The Smoker You Drink, So What, But Seriously Folks etc on vinyl but those are my faves. I'm still looking for Barnstorm...

I like a lot of Joe's solo music but some of it is a bit off the beaten path --- too much for me. I'm a rocker who has a smoother RnB/light rock acoustic side when I'm in the mood for it. But I don't dig things that are too "out there" or experimental. I try not to be a hits only guy but I can't help myself sometimes. I just dig songs that happen to mostly be hits.

Probably why I don't love Pink Floyd as much as some do. I dig them and certainly appreciate them but I couldn't listen to any album of theirs without skipping a couple (at least) tracks I'm afraid. Same with RUSH. I like some stuff but then some stuff makes me shake my head lol.

sodascouts
05-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Wow, I'm surprised, Austin. You do have some of his compilations with Life of Illusion, right? I love that song.

WalshFan88
05-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Wow, I'm surprised, Austin. You do have some of his compilations with Life of Illusion, right? I love that song.

Yep :). I like that song too - in fact it's the only one I like from that record. As far as his later stuff I kinda dig "The Confessor" (record) more.

05-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Okay - I missed this earlier in the week, but

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!

I'll put it in the CD player and give it a listen this week to celebrate.

shunlvswx
05-15-2015, 07:35 AM
Happy 34th Birthday to There Goes The Neighborhood!!!

Funk 50
05-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Only yesterday I happened to listen to the super. funked up. live version of You Never Know, loved i t:partytime: and thought I must dig out There Goes The Neighborhood again.

I still think of it as Joe's second album during his Eagles stint although the Eagles were unofficially split when it came out.

I thought all the tracks were Eagles rejects, before I got to hear the 1973 Barnstorm instrumental version of Life Of Illusion, The James Gang playing the Bones riff and the tale that Rockets originated from a pre-James Gang piano lick. Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) was definitely one of the Long Run Leftovers.

First track I heard was the pre-album release single, Life Of Illusion. Not enough chorus to be a hit, imho. Second was Bones on TV show, The Old Grey Whistle Test accompanied by ancient black and white cartoon clips featuring skeletons. It flashed by so quickly, it didn't really register musically. Next was the single's amusing b-side Down On The Farm ("Cows and horses and sheeps and pigs")

I'll never forget walking up to the HMV Record Store counter, asking for the new Joe Walsh single and being handed Shaddup Your Face!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaddap_You_Face

When I finally got the album, I was a bit bemused by the prominence of George Perry's Bass. There were more bass leads than guitar licks. Opening track, Things, lead me to believe that Joe was struggling to follow up the lyrically unforgettable, career highlight, Life's Been Good.
You Made Your Mind Up was ok and had a great new guitar solo. Down On The Farm turned out to be the rockiest track on the album. Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) had great talk-box guitar from co-writer Don Felder, a nice chorus and a fabulous outro guitar solo.

Both Things and River (OTHF) have great T. Schmit backing vocals, although, one of them is actually Jody Boyer (Joe's wife at the time, I believe).

Side 2 starts with Life Of Illusion, followed by Bones, which contains a rather lovely vocal harmony section which would be right at home on an Eagles album. Rockets is a pretty, piano keyboard ballad, nicely short on vocals and has some appealing percussion. The final track, You Never Know, has a great funky groove, great lyrics and Jody again (rather than TBS) providing a percussive vocal hook.

There are no real stand out tracks. Some reviews said it lacked a real rocker, although different publications, at the time, picked out A Life Of Illusion, Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) and You Never Know as the albums best track(s).

As much as I loved There Goes The Neighborhood, I still viewed it as Joe's weakest solo album up to that point.

Quite a few years later I got to reappraise the album after reading an article, I'm pretty sure it was, about guitarist Robin Trower, who declared himself to be a huge Walsh fan. He said The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get is a great album but it's only Joe's second best album. Robin claimed Joe's best album to be, There Goes The Neighborhood.

Ever since I've loved There Goes The Neighborhood a lot more. It perfectly compliments Joe's earlier albums.
His voice sounds great. The music and lyrics (printed on the sleeve:thumbsup:) are first rate. Joe's guitar playing is subtly brilliant. George Perry's Bass playing is fantastic. Joe Vitale is, as always, truly great. We get; David Lindley playing violins, Joe playing the jaw harp, it's got a Barnstorm reunion, an Eagles outtake, maybe a touch too much humour but in retrospect it's right up there with his best albums.

09-27-2015, 01:51 PM
I am reposting a link that Funk 50 posted in another thread in here as well. It looks like Joe's There Goes The Neighborhood and You Bought It You Name It albums have recently been made available on YouTube. It says "Provided to YouTube by Warner Music Group". Here's the link ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze3h2LpEIPU

This is great news to me. It will give those who never heard these albums a chance to give them a listen.

Midnight Visitor
09-27-2015, 09:44 PM
I am reposting a link that Funk 50 posted in another thread in here as well. It looks like Joe's There Goes The Neighborhood and You Bought It You Name It albums have recently been made available on YouTube. It says "Provided to YouTube by Warner Music Group". Here's the link ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze3h2LpEIPU

This is great news to me. It will give those who never heard these albums a chance to give them a listen.

It was recently added to Spotify as well. So happy to finally have all of Joe's albums on Spotify.

shunlvswx
03-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Happy 35th Anniversary to There Goes the Neighborhood.

NightMistBlue
04-06-2016, 04:00 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned Bones yet - that's a crunchy, straight-ahead rocker.

shunlvswx
05-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Happy 35th Birthday to Joe's first solo album after the Eagles broke up, There Goes the Neighborhood.

WS82Classics
05-15-2016, 10:22 PM
As a cohesive album unit, one of his weaker offerings(certainly no "So What?," "You Bought it--You Name it," or "Songs for a Dying Planet"), though it still has quite a slate of good songs.

"Things," "Down on the Farm," "Rivers(of the Hidden Funk)," "A Life of Illusion," and "Rockets" are all quite good songs, and rate right up there among his best songs.

Happy 35th to "There Goes the Neighbourhood!"

05-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Reviving this thread because on May 15th ...

HAPPY 39TH ANNIVERSARY TO THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD!

This is one of my favorite Joe solo albums and Life of Illusion is one of my very favorite Joe solo songs.

KingWalsh
05-17-2020, 04:40 PM
I am so bad with release dates! But another great album. It should get more love! “Rivers....“ should’ve never been omitted from The Long Run! Would’ve paired well with “Those Shoes” but anyways....a very solid effort transitioning into 80s. Great rockers like “Rivers”, “Bones”, “You Never Know” and mellow numbers like “Rockets”, and “life of illusion”, I have a soft spot for “things”and “made your mind up”. How can you not smile when you hear “Down on the Farm”?? The guest spots of fellow Eagles is icing on the cake! love it 1st song to last. Happy Anniversary!!