PDA

View Full Version : Cancel a show or Play a man short?

sodascouts
05-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Just saw this posted by Jonathan Clark (who is the bass player for Glenn's solo gigs) on Facebook:
"I was inches away from playing bass with the Eagles for a few shows... My best goes out to Timothy B. Schmidt for a full and speedy recovery!..."

[he later clarifies]

"he's not going to be replaced! I was just going to fill till he felt better!"
I have to admit this surprised me, because I figured if Tim weren't there, the show simply would not go on.

Then I got to thinking....

Obviously, when the show can be postponed, it is. But what happens when it's now or never? When the show can't be postponed feasibly? When it's either play a man short, or not play at all?

I have to say, if it were down to seeing three Eagles or seeing NO Eagles - if there was no workable way to reschedule and the only alternative was cancellation - I'd choose seeing three Eagles (although sorely missing the fourth).

What do you think?

AzEaglesFan
05-20-2010, 03:57 AM
I know most of us have our favorite and would want to see them play. But I would rather see 3 than never get to see any of them.

tbsfan
05-20-2010, 08:18 AM
I would consider seeing three of them without the fourth (no matter who the fourth was) as not really seeing the Eagles. I also would have thought a lot less of Don and Glenn had they gone on with these shows without Timothy.

Just saw this posted by Jonathan Clark (who is the bass player for Glenn's solo gigs) on Facebook:

"I was inches away from playing bass with the Eagles for a few shows... My best goes out to Timothy B. Schmidt for a full and speedy recovery!..."

[he later clarifies]

"he's not going to be replaced! I was just going to fill till he felt better!"
I have to admit this surprised me, because I figured if Tim weren't there, the show simply would not go on.

Then I got to thinking....

Obviously, when the show can be postponed, it is. But what happens when it's now or never? When the show can't be postponed feasibly? When it's either play a man short, or not play at all?

I have to say, if it were down to seeing three Eagles or seeing NO Eagles - if there was no workable way to reschedule and the only alternative was cancellation - I'd choose seeing three Eagles (although sorely missing the fourth).

What do you think?

tbsfan
05-20-2010, 08:27 AM
I find the idea that they even considered this disappointing.

Prettymaid
05-20-2010, 08:29 AM
As much as I hate to say it, it depends on the Eagle. How could you have an Eagles show without Glenn Frey or Don Henley? Of course a musician could fill in on the instruments, but no way would it be acceptable for anyone else to sing their leads! Timothy's songs could be omitted if he weren't there. Joe would be more difficult, because he does more songs than Timothy, but Joe's songs could be omitted too. But you can't omit Glenn's or Don's lead songs. Their sound, their vocals are The Eagles. And you wouldn't have much of a show left!

tbsfan
05-20-2010, 09:17 AM
As much as I hate to say it, it depends on the Eagle. How could you have an Eagles show without Glenn Frey or Don Henley? Of course a musician could fill in on the instruments, but no way would it be acceptable for anyone else to sing their leads! Timothy's songs could be omitted if he weren't there. Joe would be more difficult, because he does more songs than Timothy, but Joe's songs could be omitted too. But you can't omit Glenn's or Don's lead songs. Their sound, their vocals are The Eagles. And you wouldn't have much of a show left!

You're not just omitting Timothy's songs if he is not there, you're also omitting his harmony vocals which are a huge part of their live sound. They might be able to bring someone in to sing harmony vocals but they certainly wouldn't be doing it anywhere near as well as Timothy does. I go to hear Eagles singing Eagles songs so that would be a big deal for me.

If they were to ever do a show minus a member (which I think would be wrong), they should release a disclaimer admitting it wasn't all of them and offering full refunds to those who bought tickets to see the full band.

TimothyBFan
05-20-2010, 09:17 AM
I almost brought this subject up last week when all the dates started getting postponed. To be honest, I actually thought they might just do this because "it was just Timothy". :-( That pains me to say it that way, but if you're honest, you will admit to yourself that he is the most dispensable Eagle. I'm with PM in saying that it just depends on which member it is and it's obvious that Glenn & Don could not be replaced...period. I would almost have to say the same about Joe tho. Look at the reviews..."the audience was thrilled when Joe Walsh did...", "Joe Walsh got the audience jumping....". Let's face it, I believe the majority of the fans are there to see 3 of the 4 Eagles anyways and might not miss "the other guy". :worried: Sad but true, IMHO anyways.

That all being said... would I want to see 3 of the 4 Eagles? YES but boy would I be terribly disappointed if Timothy wasn't there for me! Especially since I don't get the opportunity to go to many shows.

Freypower
05-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Oh, I don't know. Glenn's songs could just be dropped. They are on the way to that anyway, aren't they.
http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/15.gif

Please note that that was HEAVY SARCASM. But when Glenn had diverticulis back in 1994 the remaining shows for that year were cancelled (including the Australian tour. I had to wait another year). No attempt was made to bring someone else in.

But he sang rather more songs back then, as opposed to the pitiful 7 he has now.

carol7lynn
05-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Depends. I'd probably go anyway. Sooner or later everything changes.

Carol-Lynn

Ive always been a dreamer
05-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Well, it looks as if I may be in the minority here, but my answer is a resounding

NO WAY!!!

I would be extremely disappointed if the band played with any member of their current line up missing (supporting cast excluded, of course). Each of the four guys has a fairly large fanbase that would be very frustrated if they showed up at a concert only to find out that their favorite Eagle was not on stage. Of course, I understand the dilemma that the band is faced with in these situations. As we have already mentioned, some people travel very long distances to see a show, and it would be extremely disappointing for them to have their show canceled. However, I just feel that there are currently four Eagles, and the show can't go on unless all of them are able to take the stage.

Brooke
05-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm with you Dreamer. (Of course, we are twins separated at birth! :wink )

I don't feel like they should perform if any one of the 4 Eagles can't. It just wouldn't be the same. I don't think I would want to go.

It would be a tough decision for the guys, knowing that lots of people do travel great distances though.

timfan
05-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I agree with Dreamer and Brooke. If any of the (current) Eagles were not there it just would not be right.. I would feel i was not getting what i paid for...

Freypower
05-21-2010, 06:09 PM
I should clarify too and say that I wouldn't go if any of the four members was not there, either. It would not be right.

Glennsallnighter
05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Well obviously I would be bitterly disappointed if Glenn :heart: were to be the absent member. Even if he doesn't take as many leads as he did in the HFO years he is still an integral part of the concerts. And that said, have I mentioned he IS my favourite :wink: .
But even in saying that I couldn't imagine a gig without any of the other 3 being there.

No! Like Dreamer and FP, I don't think it'd be right to go without the full lineup!

Eve
05-27-2010, 08:08 PM
I would have refunded my tickets if they played a man short.

I said it somewhere around this board, that The Who calling themselves The Who with just Daltry and Townshend is like Paul and Ringo calling themselves The Beatles. Same with The Eagles. Glenn and Don together are NOT The Eagles.