PDA

View Full Version : Which Solo Songs Should the Eagles Perform Live?

sodascouts
01-15-2007, 03:59 AM
The Eagles continue to play the occasional solo song on their tours, although Glenn's solo songs were phased out by the end of the Farewell 1 tour and Tim never got any.

If it were up to you, which solo songs would make the cut?

Here's mine. These have actually all been played live during Eagles concerts before, to great results (IMHO) and I'd love to hear them again.

Glenn: Smuggler's Blues
Don: Heart of the Matter
Joe: Help Me Thru the Night
Tim: Keep On Trying (not really solo, but non-Eagles)

EasyFeeling
01-15-2007, 05:08 AM
Can we only choose one song? Ok.

Glenn: Smuggler's Blues, River Of Dreams, Strange Weather, True Love
Don: The Last Worthless Evening, Heart Of The Matter, Taking You Home
Joe: Help Me Thru The Night
Tim: The Shadow

Maleah
01-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh dang it.......me and my darn questions.......this is hard! LOL

Glenn: Smuggler's Blues (but I really like You Belong to the City as well, so I wouldn't mind if they did two each and he kept singing that one. And darn it, I still love "Found Somebody To Love" and "Soul Searchin'" too! lol)

Don: Heart of the Matter (really hard because I love hearing the Eagles do Dirty Laundry. Wouldn't mind hearing "Last Worthless Evening" either though.)

Joe: Walk Away (I love that song, even though I've heard it a billion times on F1 lol. I can't think of any new ones I'd rather hear. Joe is someone that I'd rather hear sing fast/rockin' songs. Which is why I wouldn't mind still hearing Rocky Mountain Way either :D)

Tim: This one is a tough one because literally the only thing I remember hearing Tim sing is "Playin' It Cool" and one other one that I don't remember the title of but he looked really hot in the video :D So I guess it would be one of those because I don't know any of his songs with Poco.

timfan
01-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Well....

Glenn: Smugglers Blues
Don: Heart of the Matter
Joe: The Radio Song
Timothy: The Shadow :D btw if you haven't heard Tim singing this song you can download the whole song from his website.... it's great! :D

http://www.timothybschmit.com/01_The_Shadow.mp3

EasyFeeling
01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow, this is a great song. I didn't know one can download a song from his homepage. Do the downloads change from time to time? Ok, I have a song now. :D Thanks TF.

sodascouts
01-15-2007, 02:29 PM

I didn't make a rule or anything - choosing only one sure is hard, so if you want to put more, go ahead. :)

timfan - thanks for posting that song! I Like it!

EasyFeeling
01-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Ok, I added some. :D

Randy's Girl
01-15-2007, 02:38 PM
My choices would be:

Don - Heart of The Matter
Glenn - River of Dreams
Joe - Turn to Stone or Walk Away
Tim - No idea, as I have never heard any of his solo stuff, but I'm going right now!

timfan
01-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Do the downloads change from time to time? .

This is the only full song available for free on his site and it has been up on his site for as long as I have been a fan of Timothy! There are other short song clips available from Tim's Feed the Fire album on his official site under music. :)

EasyFeeling
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks TF. I think I need to get some Timmy solo songs now. :D

sodascouts
01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Ok, I added some. :D

You know what, I think I will add some too! lol

I would also LOVE to hear Glenn do "River of Dreams." It's such a magnificent song, and if he performed it with the Eagles, I can see them layering some additional harmonies on it to make it more of a "group" thing.

I've always loved Don's "Not Enough Love in the World" and I and I can see them adding additional harmonies to that, too. I agree with "The Last Worthless Evening" - a moving, affecting song.

And for Joe, one I really want back badly is Turn to Stone. It must be Joe's hottest guitar solo ever (IMHO). I watch it on those old bootlegs and I get BLOWN AWAY.

Tim's Boy's Night Out is a nice upbeat number for live shows, too.

EasyFeeling
01-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Oh, I forgot Not Enough Love In The World. :? I think it would sound terrific when the band do that song. And I agree with what you've said about River Of Dreams and the harmonies. :D

Freypower
01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
I can't choose any Tim songs, I'm afraid, as I don't know them. :blush:

With Joe I suppose I would like to see him do something different like Second Hand Store or A Life Of Illusion. I would prefer Turn To Stone to Walk Away.

I think Don needs a ballad and something uptempo. I think the Eagles would do a good job with Goodbye To A River and something like I Will Not Go Quietly - something which involves the whole band. I don't think HOTM should reappear. It had a specific purpose. I think LWE is too 'Don' although I like it.

I don't care which solo songs Glenn plays as long as he does SOMETHING. ANYTHING. I suppose I would like him to do something like River of Dreams. I have given up on him ever doing POMPOY but why not something like Brave New World? Maleah mentioned Soul Searchin'. I think if the backing vocals were rearranged, this could actually work quite well. But he has never played it live.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-15-2007, 10:46 PM
This is hard, but I'm going to approach this from the standpoint of what I like to see them do and what I think may have a realistic chance of making the Eagles setlist. Considering that the guys like to "play the hits" as Don said, some of the lesser known solo songs don't have any chance of making the Eagles setlist, IMO. So, as much as I'd love to hear River of Dreams, I don't think it would ever happen. For the most part, I like the choice of solo songs they play. If I could "tweek" the setlist, here's what I'd do:

Don - keep BOS, DL, and ASWTDID; drop Sunset Grill. As much as I love all the songs you all mentioned, I don't think any of them, except HOTM, have any chance of making the cut.

Glenn - THIO and YBTTC based on the fact that they were his biggest solo hits, not that they are necessarily my favorites. However, they both rock when performed live. Keep Silent Spring as it is becoming a staple at all Eagles concerts.

Joe - keep Walk Away, LBG, Funk 49, and RMW; drop In the City (I know it's an Eagles song) and replace it with Turn to Stone; reinstall One Day At a Time.

Timothy - keep ICTYW and LWKUA (yes, I know many people dislike it, but the fact is it's the biggest hit the band has had since their resumption and many people love it, including me); I love Do Something, but I've got my fingers crossed that Tim will have something more uptempo on the new album that they can include. Although I don't think it'll ever happen, I'd like to see Tim do one of his solo songs as well. I love The Shadow, but again let's prove Tim can rock - I'd prefer something along the lines of Tell Me the Truth or Was It Just the Moonlight.

Maleah
01-16-2007, 12:08 AM

Glenn: Smuggler's Blues, River Of Dreams, Strange Weather, True Love
Don: The Last Worthless Evening, Heart Of The Matter, Taking You Home
Joe: Help Me Thru The Night
Tim: The Shadow

Oooooo.....I like your Don choices :D You and I seem to be two of the few who like "Taking You Home" a lot :D

Maleah
01-16-2007, 12:11 AM
I don't care which solo songs Glenn plays as long as he does SOMETHING. ANYTHING. I suppose I would like him to do something like River of Dreams. I have given up on him ever doing POMPOY but why not something like Brave New World? Maleah mentioned Soul Searchin'. I think if the backing vocals were rearranged, this could actually work quite well. But he has never played it live.

I could really hear the Eagles doing beautiful harmonies to Soul Searchin'. I'd love to hear it!

EasyFeeling
01-16-2007, 04:46 AM
Oooooo.....I like your Don choices :D You and I seem to be two of the few who like "Taking You Home" a lot :D

Oh, I really love that song. As much as I like it when Don does rock songs I'd rather see him doing ballads.

Freypower
01-16-2007, 05:23 PM
This will probably come up if we do IJ Survivor, but in my opinion Taking You Home is the most schmaltzy, syrupy song Don has ever recorded - and the thought of the Eagles doing it fills me with horror. Sorry.

Maleah
01-16-2007, 07:03 PM
oh well, I guess me and EF are schmaltzy and syrupy gals then ;)

But if I'm not mistaken, I believe the song is about his daughter? I would guess that even Glenn gets a little syrupy over his daughter ;)

Freypower
01-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I know what it's about, but it's still how I described it - in my opinion. Glenn wrote Delicious for his daughter which has an entirely different feel. I don't like schmaltz, which is why I'm not a great fan of songs like It's Your Life, just to even it out.

If Don has to have a long, slow ballad why not Talking To The Moon, or even A Month Of Sundays, which is (again in my opinion) close to the best thing he has ever recorded.

Maleah
01-16-2007, 07:16 PM
sorry FP......wasn't trying to say you didn't know what it was about. That was just my attempt at describing why it could be considered "syrupy" or "schmaltzy."

01-16-2007, 10:21 PM

But if I'm not mistaken, I believe the song is about his daughter? I would guess that even Glenn gets a little syrupy over his daughter ;)

Hmmm Maleah and EF schmaltzy and syrupy - I don't think so! :D :D

But, I do agree with you Maleah that it makes a difference to me about how I feel about a song knowing it is written for someone special. I like Taking You Home. Knowing that Don wrote it about his daughter makes me think it should be 'syrupy.' I feel the same way about Delicious - I normally do not like Glenn singing falsetto. However, knowing that the song is written for his daughter, makes the falsetto voice very appropriate, IMO - sounds like 'daddy' talking to his little baby girl.

sodascouts
01-16-2007, 10:30 PM
When it comes to Don's ballads, Talking to the Moon just KILLS me! It's magnificent. I haven't really listened to Taking You Home that much, but it seemed pleasant enough. As far as Glenn goes, I have to admit Delicious doesn't really do it for me but I'd put It's Your Life in my top 20 Glenn songs.

DonFan
01-17-2007, 01:11 AM

But if I'm not mistaken, I believe the song is about his daughter?

Count me in too! I think that song is beautiful, and the fact that Don wrote it about bringing his daughter home just pushes me right over the edge.

"Annabel," also written for his first child, has the same effect on me. I heard a radio interview Don gave right after IJ came out and the interviewer asked him if his other children were expecting him to write a song for them, too, and he laughed and said, "They probably are!"

EasyFeeling
01-17-2007, 10:15 AM
That's an interesting discussion here. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif
You 've guessed I'm schmaltzy and syrupy? You're right!!!!!!!!!! http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif Ok, sometimes. :wink: I don't care if it's about his daughter or whatever, fact is I'm melting when I hear this song. And I love Talking To The Moon as well.

DonFan
01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
I adore Talking to the Moon. I've always thought that Talking to the Moon and Lover's Moon are two of Don & Glenn's absolute BEST songs.

sodascouts
01-17-2007, 01:12 PM
I adore Talking to the Moon. I've always thought that Talking to the Moon and Lover's Moon are two of Don & Glenn's absolute BEST songs.

High praise! For some reason, Lover's Moon doesn't make quite the same impression on me. I find it pleasant, but not much more.

Freypower
01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Guys... I didn't say YOU were schmaltzy and syrupy.... I said the SONG was. That doesn't make the people who like it to be those things - it is a description of music. If I were to describe a person along similar lines I would say they were 'sentimental', and I didn't use that word. :blush:

Now moving on I heard You're Not Drinking Enough last night, and I think the Eagles would do a good job with that because it has a country feel. All it needs is for the synthesizers to be reduced somewhat.

sodascouts
01-17-2007, 06:58 PM
You're Not Drinking Enough is another song I really like. In fact I like almost every song on Building the Perfect Beast.

Maleah
01-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Oooooooooo crap! I forgot about You're Not Drinking Enough! I could definently hear the guys doing that too. It's country but with a tish of bluesy sound to it.......course, that could just be Sam Moore ;) lol

Brooke
01-17-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm finally getting around to doing this. It's sooooo hard for me to do this type of thing! I have to think too hard!

Glenn-Soul Searchin gets my top vote, then maybe River of Dreams if I have to give up on POMPOY. I also like I Found Somebody and All Those Lies. Glenn should definitely do some of his solo stuff. It's just not right that he doesn't.

Don-I love Heart of the Matter, so I can't see dropping it and Dirty Laundry and Boys of Summer, too. I could do without Sunset Grill and ASWTDID. I also like You're Not Drinking Enough, Lovers Moon and Not Enough Love in the World.

Joe-I can't let go of any of his regulars here either. Funk 49, Life's Been Good and Rocky Mountain Way are great. I'd love to see Turn to Stone and Life of Illusion, too.

Tim-Gotta keep I Can't Tell You Why and maybe trade LWKUA with Keep On Tryin. I like Make You Feel My Love and The Shadow, too.

Maybe we could just have a 4 hour concert and keep them all?!

EasyFeeling
01-18-2007, 04:27 AM
Guys... I didn't say YOU were schmaltzy and syrupy.... I said the SONG was. That doesn't make the people who like it to be those things - it is a description of music. If I were to describe a person along similar lines I would say they were 'sentimental', and I didn't use that word. :blush:

FP, I get your message right, no worries. :wink: Meanwhile you may noticed I'm not touchy. :wink:

Soda, I like your idea with a 4 hour concert. :wink: Oh, I forgot POMPOY. I really would love to hear it live.

sodascouts
01-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Soda, I like your idea with a 4 hour concert. :wink: Oh, I forgot POMPOY. I really would love to hear it live.

It wasn't my idea, but I agree that it's a great one! Hey, if they need to take some 15-minute naps to get enough energy, we can wait a bit. ;)

Maleah
01-18-2007, 03:36 PM

FP, I get your message right, no worries. :wink: Meanwhile you may noticed I'm not touchy. :wink:

I understood that too FP. When I said "I guess me and EF are schmaltzy and syrupy" I was joking because we both liked the song. :)

Maleah
01-18-2007, 03:38 PM

It wasn't my idea, but I agree that it's a great one! Hey, if they need to take some 15-minute naps to get enough energy, we can wait a bit. ;)
hehe :D I like that idea too :D both the 4 hour concert and the 15 min. naps lol :

01-18-2007, 10:36 PM
OMG - I'm okay with a 4 hour concert accompanied by a 15 minute nap. I may need a nap, too (hint hint)! :D