PDA

View Full Version : Chula Vista,CA-May 23, 2010

cynd1231
05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
San Diego Union Tribuen has pix from lastnight

Koala
05-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for finding the photos,the guys looks great!

Britt
05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for posting!

timfan
05-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I couldn't open the link that Cynd posted so here is the actual link to the page:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/photos/galleries/2010/may/23/eagles-2010/

carol7lynn
05-24-2010, 01:03 PM
ChulaV is now a memory!:headbang:

The Eagles were their ever-so-amazing selves last night, dazzling the packed and enthusiastic amphitheater with their pitch-perfect, flawless vocals and brilliant musicianship. :faint: But the concert lacked the intimacy of Saturday night's CBBA show essentially because the band was, by their own admission, pressed for time and they blew through a shortened set list and virtually ran off the stage after a brief appreciation-fan-walk for fans lucky enough to make it to the stage-of course I did. I got my special Timmy wave after their second song last night so as you can all well imagine I am in Heaven.

And BTW, TimmyB :rockguitar:was back to his old talkative self last night (unlike Saturday night). Ever cautious, he bundled-up during their break and returned for the second half in a mid-calf length overcoat with a blue scarf wrapped some what loosely around his neck. I would have wraped myself not so loosely around his neck to further keep him warm but security was having none of it last night. Dang. Maybe another time. Until then I sit on the Border waiting for news from my fellow Border-Buddies so I can live vicariously through you.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

Prettymaid
05-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Geat job CL. I didn't realize the concert was outdoors.

TimothyBFan
05-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Aww-- Thanks once again CL!!! You do a great job. Poor cold Timothy. He does seem to suffer with the weather. Glad to hear he seems to be mending more and more!!

TimothyBFan
05-24-2010, 01:50 PM
http://www.computergurusharestips.com/2010/05/eagles-rock-san-diego.html

sodascouts
05-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the mini-review, CL. Glad you had a great time!

And that was a cute little review that you found, TBF. Love these!

carol7lynn
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
http://www.computergurusharestips.com/2010/05/eagles-rock-san-diego.html

Eagles Rock San Diego!! (http://www.computergurusharestips.com/2010/05/eagles-rock-san-diego.html)

I know that this post has nothing to do with computers, but I wanted to share my experience last night. My significant other and I attended the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" 2010 tour concert last night, held at Cricket Wireless Amphitheater in Chula Vista, CA. The venue holds 20,000 people -- and it was filled to the gills yesterday. We were fortunate enough to have 2nd row, dead center stage seats. It was an incredible and exhilarating experience.

The four main-stays of the Eagles -- Don Henley, Glen Frey, Timothy B. Schmit and Joe Walsh -- walked onstage at 7:45 and sang Seven Bridges Road a capella -- to start the show. Absolutely beautiful and stunning! Then they played several songs from the Long Road Out of Eden album, interspersed with their classics. Hotel California was their 5th song played. All told, they delivered 29 songs from their vast repertoire -- playing until almost 11 PM! Not bad for a bunch of self-proclaimed geezers!

Joe Walsh still has lots of energy; Timothy can deliver his love songs beautifully; Glen strains at times to hit notes that he used to hit with ease, but he makes up for it with his showmanship and sense of humor and Don Henley still sings as beautifully as ever. I know they are starting to get long in the tooth, but they are my favorite musicians of all-time and I will continue to support them as long as they perform! The Eagles Rock!!

"Long in the Tooth." :headscratch: LOL:hilarious:

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

carol7lynn
05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Nice pixs-especially of Timmy :headbang: which I quickly downloaded to my computer. Thanks!

I took a couple last night too and will post them along with the Onatario pixs some time tomorrow.

Stay Tuned.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

Koala
05-25-2010, 01:03 AM
CL, thanks for your review.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/pop-off/2010/may/24/eagles-unexpectedly-soar-recod-cold-night-cricket-/

TimothyBFan
05-25-2010, 08:17 AM
I liked that review! This reviewer knew his stuff, right down to backing band members names!! He did his research! :thumbsup:

It did get me to wonder tho, since it's extremely obvious that everyone knows these jokes are the same jokes for the better part of the last decade.... do you think they do it on purpose now? Knowing that everyone :headscratch: and talks about how "Glenn needs to get some new jokes"? Sure he adds or switches it up every once in awhile ("our 97th year in the industry" :laugh:) but same "assisted living", "first wife, plaintiff" etc... are always there. Just thinking is all.

carol7lynn
05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
I liked that review! This reviewer knew his stuff, right down to backing band members names!! He did his research! :thumbsup:

It did get me to wonder tho, since it's extremely obvious that everyone knows these jokes are the same jokes for the better part of the last decade.... do you think they do it on purpose now? Knowing that everyone :headscratch: and talks about how "Glenn needs to get some new jokes"? Sure he adds or switches it up every once in awhile ("our 97th year in the industry" :laugh:) but same "assisted living", "first wife, plaintiff" etc... are always there. Just thinking is all.

I think your absolutely right-good call.

Carol-Lynn

luvthelighthouse
05-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow, so many reviews of this show... and good ones too. :thumbsup:

Freypower
05-25-2010, 06:16 PM

The old jokes don't bother me because they always seem to get a good reaction.

His problem is he is not singing enough songs.

Anyway.... it's about time someone mentioned the band intros & Henley's drum fills. That is always a lot of fun.

sodascouts
05-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Well, for what it's worth, Glenn FINALLY dropped the Plaintiff and credit card jokes. (ETA: He dropped them in San Jose but obviously not for this show, as careful reading of the review shows! :doh:)

He did say at the Niagara Falls show in 2007 that he considered his Plaintiff joke to be the Glenn Frey version of Jimmy Durante's "Good night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!" - ie, something he said at every show. He obviously was cognizant of the fact that people would have heard him say the joke before, particularly since it was preserved for all time on the Farewell 1 DVD!

Glenn has great comedic timing and delivery. That's why even the old groaners get laughs when he tells them. I am glad he's stretching out a bit though with his repertoire - he's a funny guy and he's got more in him than the same handful of jokes.

I remember at the Detroit 2006 show he was just going to town, telling a lot more jokes than usual. After he made a joke about how he'd buy energy efficient cars if they didn't all look like they could be driven by Mr. Peepers, the guy behind me cracked up and said something to his wife (?) like, "We're getting a two-for-one deal here - a concert AND a comedy show!"

Freypower
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
But Soda, the review for this show clearly states that Glenn used the 'Plaintiff' joke.

He then dedicated "Lyin' Eyes" to "my first wife: 'Plaintiff'."

sodascouts
05-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Oh, how embarrassing! That's what I get for skimming reviews as I try to catch up on the board. I'll edit the original post.

:blush:

TimothyBFan
05-26-2010, 08:20 AM
The old jokes don't bother me because they always seem to get a good reaction.

I didn't mean for it to sound like the jokes bothered me. Quite the contrary--I really enjoy knowing they are coming and I also laugh each time no matter how many times I've heard it before.

His problem is he is not singing enough songs.

You think so? :headscratch: We hadn't heard you say that before! ;) JK We know that means a lot to you and for good reason!

Koala
05-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Funk #49 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACV-X-xzFU

Desperado http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7z-5jM9So

Take it to the Limit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6IlBrpIxLs

Life's Been Good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlqFDs45zHQ

Take It Easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnkP2XuRhcg

No More Walks In The Wood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8M8F4jggKo

Love Will Keep Us Alive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKUV83-QFtk

Hotel California http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GC5R0Pf3YQ

carol7lynn
05-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Nancy

Love your new avatar. Stevie Rocks!:steviesmack:

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

sodascouts
05-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks CL! It's her birthday today!

I was listening to the TITTL video posted above and I loved the bit Glenn added to the intro. He says the first time he learned to waltz was at the Arthur Murray dance studio in Detroit at the age of 8 and he's been "waltzing ever since." Too cute!

sodascouts
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Just for kicks, found this on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SGvd5tseZY

Hope Glenn had fun with that. ;)

Ive always been a dreamer
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
First of all - I'm a bit late on this, but glad you enjoyed the show CL. Thanks for posting those YouTube videos Koala - hope I get a chance to watch them before they get taken down. :wink:

As far as Glenn's old jokes, they don't bother me either. I like to watch and hear the audience's response. I've never been at a show where they didn't get laughs because many of the people there have never heard them. Besides if you think we may get tired hearing them, imagine how tired Glenn may get of telling them. Sure he could change them every night, but I guess their attitude is - don't fix it if it ain't broke. He does mix it up some, and as I mentioned in another thread, I enjoy focusing on the different little nuances since I've been to multiple shows. Like Soda, I loved that moment at Glenn's Niagara Falls show when he got to the plaintiff joke, and he let the audience say "Plaintiff". It was some of Glenn's self-deprecating humor, but obviously, it is not lost on him that many of us have heard that joke "a lot'.

Now, thanks for posting that dance clip, Soda. I'll bet when Mrs. Frey signed young Glenn up for piano lessons and sent him off to the Arthur Murray studio to get some culture, she never dreamed that 10 years later, he'd be heading off to California in search of sex, drugs and rock & roll. :lol: Oh well, I'm sure there were times when she was real worried, but everything seems to have worked out okay for her little boy! :rockguitar:

Prettymaid
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Now, thanks for posting that dance clip, Soda. I'll bet when Mrs. Frey signed young Glenn up for piano lessons and sent him off to the Arthur Murray studio to get some culture, she never dreamed that 10 years later, he'd be heading off to California in search of sex, drugs and rock & roll. :lol: Oh well, I'm sure there were times when she was real worried, but everything seems to have worked out okay for her little boy!

Yeah, this music thing seems to be working out for him. Lol!

TimothyBFan
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Like Soda, I loved that moment at Glenn's Niagara Falls show when he got to the plaintiff joke, and he let the audience say "Plaintiff". It was some of Glenn's self-deprecating humor, but obviously, it is not lost on him that many of us have heard that joke "a lot'.

See-that makes me a happy girl!! He's a funny guy and can make fun of himself also. Love that!!

carol7lynn
05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks Nancy. :thumbsup: I forgot it was Stevie's birthday. :birthday: Have to hope over to the nixfix and see if they're sending her greetings. Been a long time since I've been on that board but they usually do.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

Freypower
05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Koala, that signature is perfect. I might 'borrow it' at some stage (I have already prepared an avatar). I wish I the talent to make signatures like that.

AzEaglesFan
05-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I read that at the San Diego show ?? on May 23 that Joe dedicated Life's Been Good to his two sons Alden and Emerson and said that he loves them. I'm taking this must be the Chula Vista show because I don't think they would play two showes in one day. The video starts after his introduction SO, did anyone that was there hear him say this or did they get it mixed up with another show??

Freypower
05-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Isn't Chula Vista just south of San Diego?

This is the venue that is on our calendar:

Sunday May 23, 2010
San Diego, CA - Cricket Wireless Amphitheater

Perhaps Carol could enlighten us as to why it was billed as 'Chula Vista' rather than 'San Diego'.

Koala
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Koala, that signature is perfect. I might 'borrow it' at some stage (I have already prepared an avatar). I wish I the talent to make signatures like that.

Thanks, glad you like it! The Cula Vista photos from Glenn are just perfekt to make a banner of it!

Prettymaid
05-27-2010, 09:16 AM
I read that at the San Diego show ?? on May 23 that Joe dedicated Life's Been Good to his two sons Alden and Emerson and said that he loves them. I'm taking this must be the Chula Vista show because I don't think they would play two showes in one day. The video starts after his introduction SO, did anyone that was there hear him say this or did they get it mixed up with another show??

This is interesting AZ. Where did you read it? Do you think the article might be on the internet?

AzEaglesFan
05-27-2010, 01:53 PM
It was in a review by a fan that was at the show. I just wanted to hear the dedication myself. I think it was great if his sons were there and he said he loved them to the crowd. It must have made those boy's day. Joe has never had to much to say about his kids and I have only seen one picture of the sons when they were very young.

carol7lynn
05-27-2010, 03:47 PM
It was at the Chula Vista show. I completely forgot all about it. As the above poster pointed out CV is a small town about 12 miles south of San Diego.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

Peekaboo
05-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I found this pic on Facebook. There looks to be more from this person but I don't know him so I don't have him as a friend on FB and can't view any other pics of his from this show.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/Eagles/32051_1288782463009_1333628214_3065.jpg

tequila girl
05-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Nice pic :thumbsup:

but what is that on Glenn's left hand? looks like a band-aid to me but he also had it in the Lupus Charity Event photo's

Freypower
05-29-2010, 06:25 PM
That is well spotted, TG. I will post a Lupus photo for comparison. Nice photo.

Wildthyme
06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Cricket Amphetheatre in Chula Vista is an interesting venue - one road in and out which made getting there and leaving quite the challenge. There was a good 3 -4 mile back up on the freeway off cars getting of at that exit when I got there about 6:45. Its open air and holds about 20,000 people (and it was packed that night). I met up with Carol-lyn and we headed inside to find our seats. She had an awesome seat on the end of the second row with no one in front of her and we stood there and talked a bit. Shortly before 8 pm I headed back to my 11th row seat. I was still in the aisle when I looked up and there were the guys coming on stage already! Apparently Cricket has a noise curfew (not sure why because its out in the boondocks) and they had to get started ASAP.

Obviously everyone, including the Eagles, was expecting it to be chilly. Maybe it was to those poor thin-blooded southern Californians *G* but I was never cold the whole night and didn't need the jacket I brought. At all three of the concerts I had been to before I found myself having to sit so that I didn't block the people behind me when I wanted to stand and dance. Ever hear the phrase "be careful what you wish for"? Unfortunately for me I had three six foot plus men in front of me who pretty much stood the whole night, along with the rest of the audience. And being more the size and shape of an oompa loompa I ended up only getting glimpses of the guys playing between people's heads (and no chance to take photos). Considering I paid $260 for that ticket (standard floor price for the show) I was a little annoyed but all I could do was just enjoy the experience of being there listening to "my" boys play.

Glenn looked really good in his short leather jacket and jeans. He should wear something like that more often. He did put on the backwards cap towards the end. I actually find it rather adorable on him though I know not everyone thinks so. Glenn welcomed everyone to "sunny southern California" before he did the assisted living joke. Just like the night before, he made the joke about it being 1975, and "that they now had enough money to move one door up the block from the Troubadour to Dan Tana's - repository for some of the most beautiful women in Los Angeles, none of them available to us" and that he and Don "wrote the next song in two days because back then we did everything fast - well, almost everything". I just don't remember the plaintiff bit but maybe it was there...

Don was wearing a button down over a long-sleeved black shirt. He wasn't quite as animated as the night before - maybe he was cold :). Before LR when said they would be playing one more song before taking a break he did add "to go backstage and soak our hands in hot water" and that they would then "be back to play until curfew".

Joe looked really good again that night. He was wearing the same black tee with the silver chevrons and black jacket as the night before though he had black jeans on this time. I was very touched when before LBGTM instead of making a joke he dedicated it to "my two sons, Alden and Emerson who are here tonight. I love you guys". Definitely an "awe" moment... He also changed the lyrics at the beginning of RMW to "Spent the last year San Diego way" which got a big reaction from the audience of course.

Timothy seemed to be in good form. Much more animated and energetic than the night before. He started out the show in a long sleeved black shirt and grey vest but came back after intermission in a long coat and scarf.

Another excellent show even though I would have liked have been able to see more. I know I missed a lot of the interplay between the guys that always makes being at a show that much more special for me. No regrets though because it was all part of the adventure. Special thanks to Carol-lyn for wanting to meet up with me and especially for not squealing on me about being down there until I was ready to share it with everyone. :D

Sorry I don't have any pics to share this time :(

And as a side note, I did spend the next day sightseeing a bit. I spent most of the sunny, gorgeous, 75 degree day at the San Diego Zoo. I grew up watching Joan Embery and I figured if I didn't see anything else I had to go there. I also managed to squeeze some time in to actually go to the beach and stick my feet in the water. It was chilly but not bone aching cold like the Pacific up in Oregon. I didn't think to bring shorts however and in spite of the fact that I rolled my jeans up to my knees I got nailed by a big wave a couple times and ended up driving back to LA with my pants soaked up to my thighs and covered in sand (glad I didn't have to vacuum out the rental car *G*)

Prettymaid
06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Cami, I sure wish I could have been one of the lucky ones to have met you in San Jose. You sound like one heckuva person! :thumbsup: You have got the best attitude - never letting anything get you down. I wish there were more people like you.

Thanks for the review. You tell a good story!

Wildthyme
06-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks Cathy :) I try not to get down but I will guarantee you I am not always successful. I was pretty upset that I blew my chance to talk to Joe at the M&G (I had great line ready but I waited too long for the "right" opening and it never came). Poor Rhonda bore the brunt of my unhappiness over that but its better in retrospect. At least I met him, I touched him, I got my album signed, and Rhonda had a bit of her dream come true. And really, in the end, thats enough for me and more than a lot of people have experienced. And maybe I will get another chance if he solo tours in the future.

I sure hope I get to meet you someday too! :D

sodascouts
06-03-2010, 09:41 PM
"It was 1975, and we now had enough money to move one door up the block from the Troubadour to Dan Tana's - repository for some of the most beautiful women in Los Angeles, none of them available to us"

Yeah, those rich, charming, handsome rock stars with a #1 hit single under their belt in addition to two Top 20 singles probably were treated like the plague. ;)

Once again, thanks Cami. We can all get upset but as long as we get over it and don't let it ruin our good time, it turns out OK in the end.

Sounds like a great time in San Diego even if your position in the concert wasn't so hot. Cool that you got to meet up with CL too!

I sure hope I can meet Joe Walsh one day. If he does meet'n'greets for a solo tour, I'm there!

carol7lynn
06-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Cami-Glad the cat is finally out of the bag. :yay:

We totally rocked ChulaV. :cheers:

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

Koala
06-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks for your review, WT!

We totally rocked ChulaV. :cheers:

There I am sure!

Glad you both ha a great time!

TimothyBFan
06-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm so glad that 2 more Borderers have gotten to meet!! HOW FREAKIN' COOL!!!

Brooke
06-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Another wonderful story by Cami! Way to go girl! Sounds like you and CL had a great time! :rockon:

Ive always been a dreamer
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Well Cami - Glad you had a wonderful time in Chula Vista in spite of the fact that you didn't have a better view. But, unfortunately, that happens sometimes to us short people. I remember the worst seat I've had at an Eagles concert since 2005 was the one that cost the most - my ILAA seat in Charlottesville. It was actually a very good 4th row seat slightly left of center. However, Molly, Karen Z, and I are all short and just so happens the tallest two dudes in the area happened to be right in front of us. Oh well, the luck of the draw, I guess!