PDA

View Full Version : Music and Lyrics

Glennsallnighter
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
I was chatting to Lou last night and to Rhonda a few times as well where we were discussing what music we were working on with our guitars. I know Mike and other people play as well. So I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we could say what instrument(s) we play, what we are working on, and could post a link to music/chords or lyrics that one of us may be trying to find.
What do you folks think?

MikeA
06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Go for it! Could be fun.

I don't have any tabs for drums though. Boom-chicka-splat-splat-chicka-boom!

Honestly though, I've been too busy lately to work on much of anything. Between meetings and working on test runs, I'll pick up one of my guitars and play long enough to keep the pads on my fingers, but have been working on nothing new since the first of the year. I miss it!

ticky
06-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Cool! right now Im working on the pentatonic scales and barr chords on my SG. My brother plays a mean blues and jazz guitar but his heart is in Rock n Roll! He wants me to learn the blues scale so we can jam together. So far so good *G*

sodascouts
06-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Good idea for a topic! I'm moving it to "Singing for the Sake of the Song" though, as this is all about the music! :)

MikeA
06-03-2010, 11:10 AM
I have a little "challenge" to meet. My niece wrote a limerick type poem for Miles' birthday. It all rhymes but the scansion is wrong so I'm going to have to rewrite it to get the right number of syllables in each stanza of the poem.

There once was a boy named Miles
Who was full of giggles and smiles.

Happy he made his Mommy and Daddy
Oh, how they loved him so madly!

Baby sister Megan brought him much joy
Thankfully, he realized she wasn't a toy!

Obsessed with fans was he;
Just like his Uncle Zack, oh gee!

Thursdays were G&G Abercrombie's gig
Where he loved to sing and dance a jig.

Today little Miles is turning four
So wish him Happy Birthday and many, many more!

I want to change it as little as possible so Tracy will recognize it, and then set it to music so I can sing it for him during his Birthday Party. I think you can see the challenge <LOL> Quite a bit of alteration is going to be necessary to make it fit into a repeating "time". The first stanza seems to fit 3/4 or 6/8 time pretty well. So I'll most likely go with that.

Something like this:

|There once| was a boy| named Miles|
Who was full| of giggles| and smiles.|

|Oh happy| he made| Mommy and Daddy|
|Oh, how| they loved| him so madly!

|Sister Megan| brought him| much joy|
|He realized| she was|n't a toy!|

|Obsessed| with fans| was he;|
|Like his| Uncle Zack,| oh gee!|

|Thursdays| were Abercrom|bie's gig|
Where he loved| to sing and dance| a jig.|

|Today| little Miles| is four|
So Happy Birthday| and many, |many more!|

MikeA
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Okay, I've changed it up just a little to turn it into limerick. My thanks to Ticky for strategic prompts as I reworked it. Think of this in waltz time (3/4). Played to a chord progression of "D" "A" "D" "G" "D" "G" "D" "A" "D"

[D]There was | a Young Boy | named [A]Miles

Who was [D]full | of giggles | and [G]smiles

[D]Happy | not Sad

Were his [G]Mom | and his Dad

They [D]loved | his [A]joyful | [D]style.

Sister Megan brought him much Joy
He knew she wasn't a toy
He'd watched her feed
when she felt the need
He is just a wonderful boy

Obsessed with fans was he
Just like Uncle Zack, Oh Gee
He'll spin around
His balance unfound
Fall down and skin up his knee

Thursdays was the Abercrombie's Gig
There Miles could sing and dance a Jig
Till he was worn
And definitely Torn
Between sleeping and eating a pig

Today little Miles turns Four
He's not so little any more
His legs are so long
Like the words of this song
We wish him Many, Many More!

MikeA
07-06-2010, 04:33 PM
While down in Arkansas, this song was running through my head. Naturally, when I got the Telecaster, this was about the first thing I tried picking out on it.

http://mvabercrombie.net/Cotton%20Fields.mp3

Glennsallnighter
07-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Good idea for a topic! I'm moving it to "Singing for the Sake of the Song" though, as this is all about the music! :)

Yep Better Idea Nancy!

Mike that is wonderful! I'm sure Miles Amanda and the rest of the family will be tickled pink. And he looks like such a cute little fella on your sig.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MILES :hug: :birthday: