PDA

View Full Version : Gunman Kills 12 In Cumbria

Troubadour
06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
A taxi driver went on a rampage today in the Lake District (a beautiful, rural part of England) and shot dead 12 people, injuring at least 25. He then killed himself. Shocking, and terrible. :( I was watching a documentary about the Hungerford Massacre only a couple of weeks ago and one of the guys said 'It's only a matter of time before something like this happens again.' It's still not something you expect to happen in a rural village in England though. The victims were just ordinary people, many elderly, going about their daily lives.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families. Very, very sad.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100602/tuk-taxi-driver-gunman-kills-12-in-rampa-45dbed5.html

sodascouts
06-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Awful! 12 innocent people gone all due to one man's insanity... terrible.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Another deranged mind taking innocent lives. How horrible. It is always so disturbing to hear about these kind of things. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the loved ones and friends of these victims.

Prettymaid
06-02-2010, 03:54 PM
This is always unbelieveable to those of us who are sane. My thoughts are with the poor victims' families.

Brooke
06-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Oh my! Another terrible tragedy. I feel so badly for everyone involved.

Freypower
06-02-2010, 07:13 PM
My husband lived and worked in Cumbria for several years, (in Whitehaven) and we have friends there.

12 dead... how awful. 25 injured... I feel for them.

Koala
06-03-2010, 01:16 AM
How horrible! I saw it yesterday in the news! So many innocent people had to die, not to forget the other victims ! What a tragedy!

TimothyBFan
06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
How does a person get to this point without anyone realizing he's capable of doing something like this? Unbelievable!

Troubadour
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Apparently there was an argument the night before between family members about a will. Derrick Bird (the gunman) told a friend "There's going to be a rampage" and "This is the last time you'll see me." Before that, though... nothing. No indications of what was to come. He seemed 'normal', quiet, worked as a taxi driver in the area for twenty years. Terrifying how somebody can apparently just snap.

Julie - I trust that your friends are okay? (Other than being terribly shocked and upset.) This occurred partly in Whitehaven.

Troubadour
06-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I heard a very moving account from an eyewitness on the news earlier. This event really has shocked everyone. It sounds silly, but it seems so wrong - particularly when you look out of the window and see the beautiful summer England is starting to enjoy. Only a few weeks after the school bus crash which killed three teenagers, too. Very, very sad. Once again, my thoughts are with the people of Cumbria right now. The emergency services have reportedly done an incredible job under very difficult circumstances.

Prettymaid
06-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't know if they will ever find a way to profile these kinds of killers. After an incident like this everyone always says they had no idea the person could do something like this. It's so sad.

Freypower
06-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Apparently there was an argument the night before between family members about a will. Derrick Bird (the gunman) told a friend "There's going to be a rampage" and "This is the last time you'll see me." Before that, though... nothing. No indications of what was to come. He seemed 'normal', quiet, worked as a taxi driver in the area for twenty years. Terrifying how somebody can apparently just snap.

Julie - I trust that your friends are okay? (Other than being terribly shocked and upset.) This occurred partly in Whitehaven.

They are in Bothel, which isn't that close to the relevant places, but Mike thought he recognised one of the streets in Whitehaven where a poor person was shot, and when we were 'courting' we went to Seascale with our friends.