PDA

View Full Version : Randy Meisner in the Press

Pages : [1] 2

timfan
01-17-2007, 12:00 AM
While I was searching for Timothy articles I came across this interesting interview with Randy

http://www.smoothjazznow.com/interviews/randy_meisner.htm

sodascouts
01-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks for this find. I love Randy's attitude about his fans!

Randy's Girl
01-17-2007, 05:35 PM
It's a great interview, isn't it? I've read it a couple of times over the last 9 months. Sounds like such a sweet guy.

glenneaglesfan
01-18-2007, 04:51 AM
That's a great interview. Thanks for posting it, TF. I particularly like the bit about the wildlife around his home - that's very sweet.
interesting to hear he sings Already Gone, although I'm not sure he is 'the voice of' AG! :wink:

sodascouts
01-18-2007, 07:52 AM
That's a great interview. Thanks for posting it, TF. I particularly like the bit about the wildlife around his home - that's very sweet.
interesting to hear he sings Already Gone, although I'm not sure he is 'the voice of' AG! :wink:

Well, he was "already gone" from the Eagles. ;) Still, I can't imagine him doing it instead of Glenn.

Perfect Little Sister
01-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Wow! That was so cool. Thanks for posting that TF.

Randy's Girl
01-18-2007, 03:07 PM

Well, he was "already gone" from the Eagles. ;) Still, I can't imagine him doing it instead of Glenn.

Can you imagine him singing Take It Easy? He does that one too with the World Classic Rockers. And he does it pretty well. If anyone wants to hear it, I can email it, or I can email to Soda to put it wherever.

sodascouts
01-18-2007, 05:26 PM
It would be great if you could e-mail that to me, RG. I'd love to hear it and I'd be happy to post it for anyone else as well.

SweetHolly
03-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for posting it. Very interesting.

glenneaglesfan
02-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I mentioned this article in the 'Imposter' thread. it's short, but Randy comes over as a really nice guy.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/ClassicRandy.jpg

Randy Meisner
The Eagles’ first bassist likes life out of the limelight.

Randy Meisner found international fame as a founding member of the Eagles. A talented bassist and a versatile singer/songwriter, Meisner delivered the Eagles’ 1975 smash million-seller Take It To The Limit. He remained an integral part of the Eagles throughout the groups’ 70s heyday, before leaving in 1977 after the completion of the Hotel California tour. He went on to release several solo albums and today spends his free time playing gigs with the World Class Rockers, a band comprised of former members of Journey, Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Santana and Toto. Classic Rock grabbed him for a quick chinwag.

You’re very underrated as a bass player – your lines in the Eagles are very melodic.
I loved R&B and the bass players on the Motown stuff were great. They really inspired me. I can’t read music. Once I learn a part it’s there. My bass playing came real naturally. In the Eagles’ rehearsals that’s how a lot of the songs would come together. Everyone would bring their own little thing of how they played, and that’s what made the sound of the band. On Hotel California [Don] Felder designed that bass part and I played it. Boy, it was a rough one to sing and play at the same time. That took a while to learn.

With Don Henley and Glenn Frey writing the majority of the Eagles’ material, was it difficult for you to get your own songs recorded?
No. Everybody was welcome to write a song. I didn’t write as much, that’s all. I’d bring in a song and they’d tell me if they liked it and often they’d say: “Let’s finish this sucker.”

How did Take It To The Limit come about?
We drank a lot of beer at the Troubadour – Randy Newman, Steve Martin, Jim Morrison, all these people that we’d know hung out here. We’d go down there and have a few beers. That’s how I started Take It To The Limit. I went back to my house one night from the Troubadour. It was real late at night. I was by myself and started singing and playing. ‘All alone at the end of the evening…’ That’s where it started. I had a couple of verses. Don and Glenn [Frey] helped me finish it just in time to get it on the record.
I was nervous about doing that song live. I wouldn’t have spotlights on me. I just didn’t want to be in the limelight.

Have you come to terms with the Eagles’ legacy?
It’s just good to know that kids nowadays are listening to it. It’s long-standing music. They’re good songs. They lyrics are really good and the way that they were produced and the way that we played them. That’s why on Hotel California we were so precise and wanting to make it so perfect. We made sure we got it so good.

sodascouts
02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Here's something odd - I went to the World Class Rockers' official site (http://www.wcr.com/page.cfm) and Randy wasn't mentioned. I wonder if he's left the group to do that Doobie Brothers thing?

Edited to add: Nevermind, I found him mentioned as a "special guest star." This makes me think that he's getting a different group together for the Doobie Brothers thing.

Brooke
02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
That was interesting, Gef. Thanks.

Randy doesn't seem to harbor too many ill feelings and seemed very upbeat. :D

DonFan
02-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Randy does seem to be a genuinely nice guy.
What Doobie Brothers thing?

Freypower
02-28-2008, 06:37 PM
I couldn't help but notice the contrast with 'somebody else'. No whining about how he couldn't get his songs recorded, giving credit where it's due, and what seems to be genuine modesty.

DonFan
02-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Never mind my question--I just saw the answer in the other thread.

glenneaglesfan
03-16-2008, 06:12 AM
The April edition of Reccord Collector has interviews with Randy and Don F. I'll post them up as images here. If you save the image you should be able to zoom in enough to read it. I'll try and send the original to Soda so that she can pdf it.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/DonF/RCRandy_1.jpg

Ive always been a dreamer
03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks GEF. You are a saint! :wink:

Perfect Little Sister
03-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks for posting that GEF. Randy seems like a sweetheart. :)

rcknalwys
03-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm having the same problem with this article, how do I copy it so I can read it?

Brooke
03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
See the Felder interview thread!

whitcap
06-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I wanted to revive this thread and let everyone know that the classic rock interview was taken from a longer interview that was done in 2006. I found the longer interview on eaglesfans.com. It's the one called Randy Meisner Takes it to the Limit One More Time (http://www.eaglesfans.com/info/articles/index.htm#meisner) and it's broken into 5 pdfs.

whitcap
11-05-2010, 12:15 AM
I just found this (http://articles.latimes.com/1996-04-04/entertainment/ca-54923_1_eagle-songs) online. It's from 1996.

EaglesFanatic
06-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else.

http://www.rockhistorybook.com/interviews/randymeisner.html

whitcap
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else.

No problem :) I love that interview!

sodascouts
06-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for posting these interviews. I love reading them - even if I may have seen them before, posting them again gives a person a chance to revisit and maybe get reminded of something they've forgotten. Besides, not everyone has seen them before.

This question from the second interview (http://www.rockhistorybook.com/interviews/randymeisner.html) made me laugh:

John- Do you still hang out with Don Henley and Glen Frey?
Randy - Well, not really.
I bet Randy was thinking, "Wow, this guy is naive." lol

I had forgotten this:

Randy - [The reunion album with Poco] wasn't very good. (Laughing) I had done some recording with Richard Marx and he wrote a song for me. Then we all got back together and it was really fun actually. Let me tell you what really happened. This was going down around the time of the Persian Gulf War and our management had arranged all these things on military bases. We had all this merchandising to sell and when we got to all these army bases we were playing to empty crowds because all the troops were in the Persian Gulf. After that we played a few more things but I ended up paying all this money for merchandising rather than making money on it. We did make a record and I thought it was good. Richie Furay is a minister in Boulder, Colorado. So, when we went out we had to change our lyrics like on the song "Hearts on Fire" we had to change the line "I had myself a tall one waiting in the bar I didn't want to leave here until I had her in the car" it got to Richie. I had to respect Richie but one night we were playing in Toronto and the crowd was really good and I sang the original lyric and Richie got kind of upset about that. Also, Jimmy Messina couldn't sing "I had her in the backseat" on his song. I really got frustrated with that because we weren't singing the original lyrics of these songs so I left. We did finish the tour but I didn't make a penny. We did travel all over and we went to Europe for a month to promote this whole album. Out of a month we played twenty four days and we would get up at five in the morning, go to every radio station in Europe and plug this album. It didn't do a darn bit of good. So, I have had my road work, you know? (Laughing)
To do all that work and not make a cent! Yikes! And then having to "clean up" the lyrics - I understand why they were asked to do it but I can also understand why Randy balked - especially if he wasn't making any money!
John - I read a bit of "Take it to the Limit."
Randy - Yeah, there were a couple of [books written about the Eagles]. It's like catching someone at a wrong time when everyone was kind of angry at everyone else. You say things that you really don't mean. These people want the dirt and they forget that most of the time there was not any dirt. Most of the time we got along really well. Years later you read it and its dirt and you think why in the hell did I say that about him whether it's Glen or Henley. For God sakes were just people. It was a time where there was a little resentment.
I wonder what in particular he regrets saying? Interesting.

sodascouts
06-17-2011, 01:16 PM
You know what - I think I'll do like I do with the other Eagles have a "Randy Meisner in the Press" thread. :: going off to do some merging ::

sodascouts
06-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I just found this (http://articles.latimes.com/1996-04-04/entertainment/ca-54923_1_eagle-songs) online. It's from 1996.

In reading that, I was a little saddened by this:

"Meisner admits he was initially upset and depressed about not being asked to be a part of the reunion tour. He says the band even rejected his suggestion that he join them on stage for several songs at the group's Rose Bowl concert in Pasadena."
I get why they didn't approach him for the "resumption" tour, but I do wish they would have let him do a special "guest spot" on a show or two.

Lisa
06-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Me, too. I would like to see Randy Meisner play with the Eagles once again.

Freypower
06-17-2011, 09:04 PM
In reading that, I was a little saddened by this:

"Meisner admits he was initially upset and depressed about not being asked to be a part of the reunion tour. He says the band even rejected his suggestion that he join them on stage for several songs at the group's Rose Bowl concert in Pasadena."
I get why they didn't approach him for the "resumption" tour, but I do wish they would have let him do a special "guest spot" on a show or two.

I don't want to upset anyone but I don't see how 'guest spots' with the Eagles would have benefited Meisner in any way.

They are not that sort of band. Sentimentality is not how they operate (unless you count the obsession with rigid setlists).

sodascouts
06-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't see how it would have hurt him in any way.

As for the band not being sentimental - I would hesitate to make such sweeping statements. Just because they don't often display it doesn't mean they're incapable of it.

Freypower
06-17-2011, 09:27 PM
I was making a generalisation. However it appears that they certainly displayed lack of sentimentality on this occasion.

If Randy himself would have liked to appear with them, then perhaps they should have at least considered it, but having a former member receive a huge ovation for singing Take It To The Limit while the replacement bass player looked on is not something that I can imagine them wanting to happen.

Lisa
06-17-2011, 10:03 PM
I understand.
I haven't decided what I think about the Eagles and sentimentality. I'm not sure that Eagles band members' feelings are necessarily sentimental or nostalgic by nature, but I guess that the fans could think that going back in time would amount to a sentimental or nostalgic expression.

To add a guest performer, the Eagles could appear on stage at the same time and play a song together as a group, including Randy Meisner;--or, alternatively; one or a few of the band members could temporarily excuse themselves from the stage and return after a special guest appearance that could include Randy Meisner.
Either format might not be too distracting to alter the audience's reception of the band.

sodascouts
08-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I guess this isn't really a mention in the press - it's a mention in a song - but I still thought it worth noting!

Listen here: http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/3363096

tequila girl
08-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Definitely!!

"I dreamed that I could sing like Randy Meisner"....

whitcap
08-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I like it! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Not sure where else to put this but wanted to share. Someone sent me this link about an auction of Randy's farm property (or one of them).

http://www.helbergnussauction.com/events/event/73-acre-irrigated-farm-auction/

02-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Wow - good find Austin. Thanks for letting us know. Even though it's Randy's, this city girl is gonna have to pass on a 73-acre farm in Nebraska. :grin:

sodascouts
02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
It looks like the auction has already taken place. Wonder who won?

zeldabjr
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
whoever bought his farm better take good care of it...or :machinegun:

Tiffanny Twisted
02-26-2013, 06:31 PM
wow how cool and intresting is that.
Wonder if it is a real working farm?

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-25-2013, 03:12 AM
I didnt see this posted anywhere else so I thought i'd share it! I don't see a date on this interview but i'm guessing it's at least a few years old, but I really enjoyed reading it, and laughed a lot! I love his sense of humor. I also love the fact that he feels so close to animals and tomatoes! LOL

sodascouts
03-25-2013, 03:22 AM
This is a great interview indeed! It's a duplicate of the one posted at the beginning of this thread: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256 so I'm combining it into that thread, but it's a really good read for any Randy fans who haven't yet seen it.

Thirsty&Hot
04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
I found this article from People magazine's archive:

January 12, 1981 Vol. 15 No. 1
Bassist-Composer Randy Meisner Courageously Bailed Out of the Eagles So That He Could Rock His Own Boat (http://http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20078372,00.html)
By David Sheff

Rock's scrap heap is littered with the careers of hotshot players who dared to leave brand-name bands. So when bass-man Randy Meisner left the Eagles' cushy nest in 1977 for a solo flight, some friends wondered if he weren't heading over the cuckoo's nest instead. Meisner might have agreed with them, momentarily, when his first album fizzled in 1978.

But Randy's fine new follow-up LP, One More Song, is climbing up the charts. "He's one of the nicest guys in the business and he deserves it," says friend James Taylor. Other compatriots must feel the same way, because plenty of music heavies helped in the taping studio. Kim Carnes joined in the plaintive Deep inside My Heart, which was the album's first big single, and other participants included Eric Kaz, Wendy Waldman and producer Val Garay. Jackson Browne suggested the title cut, which chronicles a young artist's last gig with a band called the Silverados, and none other than Eagles drummer Don Henley and guitarist-singer Glenn Frey came in to record harmony. "It's appropriate," Meisner says amiably, "since it's kind of about me leaving the group." Their donation of time seems fair, since the current double LP Eagles Live is enhanced by four Meisner appearances, including his memorable rendition of Take It to the Limit, which he co-wrote.

When Randy opted out after the Eagles' Hotel California tour in 1977, his biggest beef was the Frey-Henley creative domination of the group. He took the view that "a lot of their studio music was sterilized and safe." The other factor was the carousing that they immortalized in their 1976 classic Life in the Fast Lane. "I could have tripled my money if I'd stayed," Meisner says now, without regret. "But I was just tired of the touring. It's a crazy life that you live at twice the normal speed. When it got to the point of sanity or money," he says, "I thought I'd rather have sanity."

To try to find it, Randy returned to his native Scottsbluff, Nebr. and bought an 80-acre farm to "grow my own vegetables and get as far away from the music business as I could." He soon discovered there wasn't much to do in the slow lane but drink beer and roar around town on his Harley-Davidson. "I realized I'd changed so much," he observes, "and I missed the city. I thought I could get away, but music's in my blood."

Randy recalls that as a kid, "Farms and corn were just about it" until his German immigrant grandfather, a classical violinist, cultivated his first interest in music. By his 12th birthday, Meisner was picking out Presley and other rock tunes on a guitar, then switched to bass to play with local bands. At 16, he married his high school sweetheart, Jennifer Barton, and began touring the state with a group called the Dynamics. Finally, at 19, Randy made it to L.A. with the Denver-spawned Soul Survivors. "Seeing Sunset Boulevard," he recalls, "was a fantasy come true."

The band soon renamed itself the Poor, a wry comment on their standard of living—"five of us in one room in East L.A." But Meisner made some big connections playing with one of the pioneers of country-rock, Poco, followed by Rick Nelson's underappreciated Stone Canyon Band. In the early '70s Randy was on the road with an up-and-coming rocker named Linda Ronstadt. "She loved my singing but hated my playing," he remembers. "She gave me looks that could kill." The diva's distemper proved historic. When his fellow backups Henley and Frey broke off to form their own band, Meisner followed—and the supergroup called the Eagles took wing.

Randy, now 34, shuttles between a Palm Springs condo ("Most people say it's boring, but to me it's relaxing") and a rented place in L.A.'s Studio City. He is presently divorcing his wife, Jennifer, who stayed back in Scottsbluff with their son Dana, 17, and 10-year-old twins Heather and Eric.

With his Eagle royalties, Meisner is free of financial worries. Besides his working farm (which he left in the stewardship of his father), Randy has a remarkable car collection including 15 antique Fords, a Porsche, a Jaguar XJ-S plus '57 and '67 Corvettes. He hangs out these days not with the Eagles but with his own band, which he has dubbed the Silverados. (After old pal Henley, 33, was charged last month with possession of 22 ounces of cocaine and offering drugs to a 16-year-old girl, Meisner lamented, "It's terrible. I'm really concerned.")

Following three relatively placid years, Meisner plans to hit the road next month with the Silverados. "I have fond memories of the Eagles," he says, "but there's no looking back. The I-told-you-sos didn't make me feel too good, but it was right to leave when I did. I haven't wanted to return."

Outlawman13
04-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Wow!!!!! That was a really good read Tiffany. Thank you for sharing.

Thirsty&Hot
04-02-2013, 11:07 PM
I thought it was pretty good myself!
Glad you liked it too Christy! :)

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks for sharing that!! I learned a lot about him, I didn't know he had 3 kids, or that he and Jennifer married at 16! And how can anyone HATE his bass playing!? :confused:

And is this not the coolest quote ever!? "When it got to the point of sanity or money," he says, "I thought I'd rather have sanity." My respect and admiration for him keeps going up!

Thirsty&Hot
04-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I did know that he had kids, cos he mentions it in the doc in one of these segments:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/IMG_7217_zpsd0b00861.jpg

he says something about how it's hard being on the road leaving his 3 kids behind.

but yes this article was definitely enlightening..a more in depth look at Randy! and I loved that quote too Astraea!

"...now 34..." aww he just turned 67!! so crazy how many years have gone by.
this article was almost exactly 2 years before i was born (jan 2 1983)

Outlawman13
04-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Yeah I remember when he mentioned how many kids he has, but never knew how young he was when he got married!!!!!! That's what stunned me. LOL. Ahhh he is so sweet in that picture!!! I honestly would have sanity as well.

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I missed some of the documentary, I don't know if it was a few minutes or an hour, but i'm definitely buying it on DVD when it comes out so I can watch it all! I don't remember this scene of Randy talking, at all!

Thirsty&Hot
04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
then you're in for a treat! he's really cute in that interview!

Thirsty&Hot
04-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Thanks for posting these interviews. I love reading them - even if I may have seen them before, posting them again gives a person a chance to revisit and maybe get reminded of something they've forgotten. Besides, not everyone has seen them before.

This question from the second interview (http://www.rockhistorybook.com/interviews/randymeisner.html) made me laugh:

John- Do you still hang out with Don Henley and Glen Frey?
Randy - Well, not really.
I bet Randy was thinking, "Wow, this guy is naive." lol

I had forgotten this:

Randy - [The reunion album with Poco] wasn't very good. (Laughing) I had done some recording with Richard Marx and he wrote a song for me. Then we all got back together and it was really fun actually. Let me tell you what really happened. This was going down around the time of the Persian Gulf War and our management had arranged all these things on military bases. We had all this merchandising to sell and when we got to all these army bases we were playing to empty crowds because all the troops were in the Persian Gulf. After that we played a few more things but I ended up paying all this money for merchandising rather than making money on it. We did make a record and I thought it was good. Richie Furay is a minister in Boulder, Colorado. So, when we went out we had to change our lyrics like on the song "Hearts on Fire" we had to change the line "I had myself a tall one waiting in the bar I didn't want to leave here until I had her in the car" it got to Richie. I had to respect Richie but one night we were playing in Toronto and the crowd was really good and I sang the original lyric and Richie got kind of upset about that. Also, Jimmy Messina couldn't sing "I had her in the backseat" on his song. I really got frustrated with that because we weren't singing the original lyrics of these songs so I left. We did finish the tour but I didn't make a penny. We did travel all over and we went to Europe for a month to promote this whole album. Out of a month we played twenty four days and we would get up at five in the morning, go to every radio station in Europe and plug this album. It didn't do a darn bit of good. So, I have had my road work, you know? (Laughing)
To do all that work and not make a cent! Yikes! And then having to "clean up" the lyrics - I understand why they were asked to do it but I can also understand why Randy balked - especially if he wasn't making any money!

I'm just reading old posts in this thread ...
I think it's pretty lame when bands are asked to change lyrics (like the Doors on the Ed Sullivan show having to change "girl we couldn't get much higher", but then of course Jim didn't change it)
but I can't imagine the band themselves wanting to change lyrics..minister or not. I can see why Randy would be annoyed about it. I know people like this now. It's not being true to yourself. Don't try to change or erase your past. Especially, when it's something like song lyrics. Were they singing in a church? no..they were singing to their fans who knew the lyrics to begin with!

Grey Sadler
05-18-2013, 09:47 PM
This is a small article from 1981 on Mr. Meisner, but a good one...thanks for pointing me to it, Springbo! :thumbsup:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19810411&id=_EhPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LwMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6901,5524651

AstraeaLunaAvani
05-19-2013, 02:33 AM
I love that article, thanks for sharing it! I love hearing when someone I admire is also shy and withdrawn, i'm the same way. I also loved how inspired he was by Don and Glenn to help him become a better singer!

secret squirrel
08-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Here's an interview with Rusty Young about Poco that mentions Randy:

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=806739

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/schmitten-part-two-sweet-talking-guy_25.html

UndertheWire
11-23-2013, 03:37 AM
Bumping this thread because there are some good links in it. If you're a Randy fan and haven't read these interviews, what are you waiting for? He talks about leaving the Eagles, the Poco reunion etc.

I confess that I'd reposted the interview only to realise that the same one has been posted and discussed many times already.

Sunshine Coast
12-18-2013, 09:50 PM
I recently read in the book "To The Limit" (author: Marc Eliot) and "From Heaven to Hell" (Don Felder) that Randy's nicknames given by other Eagles members were: Chipmunk, Baby Face and Teflon Voice. People who knew him or met him all agree that he was "so cute" and "so nice".

The nickname "Chipmunk" for Randy? Chipmunks are indeed among the most adorable creatures on this Earth, however, I choose to believe that it had more to do with Randy's gentle soul and soothing aura.

My versions of Randy Meisner's nicknames "Baby Face" and "Teflon Voice" are "Angel Face" and "Angel Voice".

And instead of using the word "cute" to describe Randy, I choose the word "beautiful" (outside and inside).

Christmas is coming very soon and I wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas!

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Welcome Sunshine Coast and Merry Christmas! Glad to have another Randy fan on board. Yes Randy is beautiful inside and out. I think our Randy photo thread says it all.

sodascouts
12-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Welcome Sunshine Coast!

DJ
02-26-2014, 02:46 PM
I haven't read anything about Randy's health lately has anyone heard how he has been doing since his choking incident? Hope he is well.

secret squirrel
05-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Brief mention of Randy here:
http://www.omaha.com/article/20140501/GO/140509989/1707#.U2JYElKWkwo

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/im-on-fire-shakey-graves.html

DJ
06-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Just read that Randy had cataract surgery, Hope he is doing well! Love to see those baby blues clear again..

Suze
06-28-2014, 05:22 PM
Just read that Randy had cataract surgery, Hope he is doing well! Love to see those baby blues clear again..

DJ I thought this was a Randy Meisner in the Press thread. I am aware of where you sourced this information, it was not the press. Please be careful about passing on information and photographs provided by a certain person.

MaryCalifornia
07-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Is the info from the Meisnettes Facebook page? If so, that is a fan-run, public site - I don't see how that warrants a caution to DJ as to how any information from that page is used. I may be missing something though or not totally understand the guidelines of this board.

DJ
07-04-2014, 10:34 PM
I look to all sorts of sources, Thank you.
And thanks MC for the support because if their is a Fan Site for Randy it is public domain, I would imagine. Press is just a word. Anyhow it was a well wished message at that.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-04-2014, 10:42 PM
While we don't have an official policy, there are other sites and pages that do not like it when things are posted here without giving credit, even when it's public information. In general, if you find information through a Twitter search, Google alert or search, or otherwise find it (I get emails from several sources as well), it's good to post it here. If you find it on another fan page or site, it's not a good idea to post it here. Soda will correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't like stepping on other people's toes and creating ill will. I solve the problem by not having time to ever look at any site but this one!

DJ
07-04-2014, 10:45 PM
There always seems to be "toe stepping when it comes to Randy, so I will keep the information I receive to myself and not post it here. I don't want to cause ill will.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Believe me, it goes beyond Randy! Of course, another option, if you can, is to ask permission to post something elsewhere. We're all Eagles fans here, and we all want to hear about our guys. So please believe me when I say it's not because we don't want the info here.

Of course, information found here can be shared anywhere.

DJ
07-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Believe me, it goes beyond Randy! Of course, another option, if you can, is to ask permission to post something elsewhere. We're all Eagles fans here, and we all want to hear about our guys. So please believe me when I say it's not because we don't want the info here.

Of course, information found here can be shared anywhere.

Thanks VA much appreciated and I'll put the source off all my info, especially Randy.

MaryCalifornia
07-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the explanation, VA. I sort of get it when the owner/admin of the social media site posts the content. However, when random people are posting their own photos or experiences to that medium for the world to see, I don't know why we should differentiate between Twitter, Instagram (OK to re-post here) and FB (not OK to repost here) or other social media or news sites (?). I understand that there may be sensitivities with owners of other social media sites, but as a matter of policy, it seems inconsistent. If posters/owners don't want their content to travel freely around the internet, there are simple ways to achieve that, including a request that the info not be re-used, like a recent poster requested here with his photos. In my view, once you put it up there with no restrictions, on a public site, it's fair game, and you should not be surprised to see it referenced on similar sites.

I agree 100% that social media sites of Eagles' kids or family members are completely a no-go for reposting, as it should be. But information about our guys freely available on the internet is information about our guys regardless of the source, and lots of fans don't want to limit themselves to just this site, sometimes there is info elsewhere that isn't on here. I guess it really comes down to "fan sites" vs. other sources of info - just trying to understand the difference. I don't want to run afoul of Soda's preferences, which I respect. Also, not trying to be argumentative (promise!).

Bottom line is I don't think Borderers should be discouraged from posting info here, as long as the information is not received illegally or against board policy (i.e. Eagles' family social media or something clearly not meant for public consumption or sensitive, like house addresses or something). Maybe the best policy is to require that Borderers give credit, i.e. "So and so on the __ Facebook page is saying that...." as opposed to telling them not to repost the info here. Sorry to go off on this discussion in the Randy thread, we can move this if necessary.

GoranV
07-05-2014, 10:55 PM
I do not understand this. I thought Meisnette was not to be spoken ?????

VAisForEagleLovers
07-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Good point, Goran. I edited my comment out.

Suze
07-06-2014, 04:04 AM
I look to all sorts of sources, Thank you.
And thanks MC for the support because if their is a Fan Site for Randy it is public domain, I would imagine. Press is just a word. Anyhow it was a well wished message at that.

If you had read my comment properly you would have seen I said "passing on information and photographs provided by a certain person", not the site it was on and no, Press is not just a word. In my personal opinion, and this is NOT directed at DJ, I find it bizarre that people trawl through the whole of the internet to get the tiniest piece of information on a person. That includes visiting social media sites of their family and friends of their family. It is an unhealthy obsession and some will do anything at all if they think it will be to their advantage.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-06-2014, 08:28 AM
"Press" is just a word. We don't have individual threads for the guys for when someone tweets about them or posts Facebook items about them, so we put them in the press threads. Of course, none of the other guys have friends and family members that openly post about them. The others all seem to respect their privacy. So for the others, it's usually more about a fan seeing them somewhere, or something like that.

DJ
07-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Can we just move on because it was a well wished message and that's all.

sodascouts
07-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Just wanted to put a word in as administrator - I agree that we must be careful about where photos and information comes from. I know there are some people who do not wish what they post elsewhere to appear on the Border, so we just have to keep that in mind and respect their wishes.

UndertheWire
10-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Here's a 1981 article on Randy where he talks about his new album and leaving the Eagles. He sounds like he had no regrets.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20078372,00.html

NightMistBlue
12-31-2014, 12:50 PM
While I was searching for Timothy articles I came across this interesting interview with Randy

http://www.smoothjazznow.com/interviews/randy_meisner.htm

Does anyone know when this interview was done? Wikipedia says it was retrieved in 2009 but I think the actual interview may have been done earlier.

http://www.rockhistorybook.com/Images/title_pic_large/eagles_randy_timothy.jpg

UndertheWire
12-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know when this interview was done? Wikipedia says it was retrieved in 2009 but I think the actual interview may have been done earlier.

http://www.rockhistorybook.com/Images/title_pic_large/eagles_randy_timothy.jpg
I can narrow it down to 2000-2003 based on the drummer he mentions and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Classic_Rockers .

NightMistBlue
01-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Good estimate, UnderTheWire. Since then, the interviewer John Beaudin was kind enough to respond to my email: "I talked to Randy around 2001. He had lots of time so we just talked and talked."

John also shared that he will post the audio to this interview on YouTube, which I'd really like to hear! I love Randy's voice, both speaking and singing.

MaryCalifornia
01-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Good investigative work!

TBS' soul patch does correspond to his 2001 album Feed the Fire.

sodascouts
01-07-2015, 02:00 AM
Good estimate, UnderTheWire. Since then, the interviewer John Beaudin was kind enough to respond to my email: "I talked to Randy around 2001. He had lots of time so we just talked and talked."

John also shared that he will post the audio to this interview on YouTube, which I'd really like to hear! I love Randy's voice, both speaking and singing.

Well done!!

NightMistBlue
01-08-2015, 08:20 AM
TBS' soul patch does correspond to his 2001 album Feed the Fire.

LOL - how long did Timothy have the soul patch? When Musicgirl posted that lovely photo of Randy and Tim together, she said it was taken on Randy's 65th birthday, which would be March 2011 I believe.

Delilah
10-08-2016, 05:58 PM
This is an interesting article about singer-songwriter Mark Guerrero's encounters with Randy. I was especially intrigued to learn that Randy was putting a band together with Steely Dan's David Palmer (the same David Palmer who wrote "Darkness of the Heart" from Randy's 3rd solo album, I presume).

http://markguerrero.com/misc_22.php

NightMistBlue
10-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Great find, Delilah! Muchas gracias.

sodascouts
10-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Thanks!

Delilah
11-27-2016, 09:54 PM
This is a short piece about Randy from a fellow Nebraskan writing for a local Houston-area paper, The Tribune. I'm quoting most of it in the event the link expires.

Tom's Tall Tales - Do You Remember Randy Meisner?
Monday, January 25, 2016

Tom Broad

Do You Remember Randy Meisner?

When I heard last week that Glenn Frey of Eagles fame had died, my mind turned to Randy Meisner.
Who?
Randy Meisner and Glenn Frey were two of the four founding members of The Eagles, and Randy, according to my crowd, was just about the coolest guy to every come out of Scottsbluff High School. My hometown of Alliance is just about 60 miles northeast of Scottsbluff, Nebraska. We’re almost on the Wyoming-Nebraska border.
Randy was part of the Dynamics, actually the “Drivin’ Dynamics,” and in the early 1960s, they played every high school homecoming and prom at every school in Western Nebraska, Southern South Dakota and Eastern Wyoming.
I swear, for us kids in the sticks, they were bigger than the Beatles. You could actually meet ‘em and touch ‘em. We all knew somebody who knew Randy’s mom and dad or one of his classmates.
Every Friday night, local bands played at the Teen Center in the Alliance Municipal Auditorium. The place was just about as glamorous as the name. When the Drivin’ Dynamics played, the place was packed.
By the mid-'60s, I headed off to Lincoln to become a television anchor. Randy went to Hollywood to become a rock star.
Randy nailed it. We all knew people who knew Randy, so it was pretty easy to keep up with him. He helped form Poco, then joined Ricky Nelson’s group and finally Linda Ronstadt’s band – oh, we were all so impressed – before creating the Eagles with Frey, Don Henley and Bernie Leadon.
Oh, the price of fame. I saw Randy on TMZ last year and it was pretty sad. You can Google it if you really want to see how he’s doing. I’d prefer to remember the bright, young kid who mesmerized us on Friday nights.

http://ourtribune.com/article.php?id=19613

NightMistBlue
11-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Thank you, D.

NightMistBlue
12-20-2016, 09:48 AM
This is a "new" article that appeared on the RockCellar website in Nov 2016, though the interview was done at least 8 to 10 years ago. It's a long interview, with a lot of great biographical detail on Randy's early musical career.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2016/11/10/randy-meisner-interview-eagles-poco-hall-of-fame-stories/#sthash.Fi9eQqfZ.BrKVWOLE.dpbs

P.S. I never knew he had a throat operation; he doesn't specify when. "Since then [OOTN] I do have to sing a little lower because I had an operation on my throat. I had some nodes on my vocal chords, which was kinda neat for the time because I could sing one note and get a harmony. There was a node in the middle of my vocal chords, it was like two voices coming out."

East Texas Girl
12-20-2016, 02:31 PM
NMB, what a great find!! There are some new things in that article that I have not heard before. How cool!! Randy seemed to talk for quiet a while, that's great. Thanks for finding it!!

NightMistBlue
12-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Isn't it cool? I can't take credit for finding it though, it was passed along by a FB friend. A much shorter version of this interview was published several years ago, but this expanded article has wonderful "new" (to us) details.

East Texas Girl
12-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Yes, it really is! I just love to read new things about our boy Randy!

NightMistBlue
12-20-2016, 03:02 PM
And his name is on the cover of the magazine, which is wonderful to see.

https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15541315_1334890293200127_8007149636173956270_n.jp g?oh=2d33b1b7410d5af16269e0265a29e79a&oe=58B14362

East Texas Girl
12-21-2016, 02:26 PM
It is great to see! Thanks for the cover shot, NMB.

sodascouts
12-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Thanks for sharing this!

Delilah
12-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Wow, what a great article. Thanks for the link, NMB! Some of it was familiar but there were some new gems too.

* He and his band in Nebraska had to order a bass guitar from the Sears catalog.

* The Poor played as the house band at that New York club (The Salvation Army?) for 2 weeks. I previously thought they never got a chance to play.

* His voice is on most of the songs on the first Poco album, and his bass parts are too. There have been conflicting accounts about this via Furay and Messina. I've read that George Grantham has said he's sure Randy's voice is still on some of those tracks plus Randy does get some credit on the album.

* He loves "Turn, Turn, Turn"

* He first met Glenn when he gave him a ride home while Glenn was hitchhiking. Previously he said he didn't remember this but I guess it came back to him.

* He had an operation on his throat which made him sing lower. I wonder when this occurred. His voice changed from his 1st solo album to his 2nd, then again in the 90s+. Very interesting.

* He said he could come up with a good melodic hook but lyrics were more difficult for him. I have noticed this as well--his songs have really good melodies but his lyrics are not always as strong. Still love them though!

I agree it's great to see his name on the front cover!:cool:

UndertheWire
12-22-2016, 11:49 AM
I enjoyed reading that, particularly his descriptions of writing Eagles songs. He's also clearly making the point that he was in favour of the move away from country to rock.

Funk 50
12-23-2016, 10:22 AM
I wrote “Try And Love Again” for that album. That was the last song I wrote for the band. Joe (Walsh) helped me a little bit with that."

The multi guitar work during Try And Love Again is a prime example of what Joe added to the Eagles. I think the way the guitars combine is way beyond the guitar work on Eagles previous albums. Any lesser band would surely have put keyboards on it. :p

Judging by his solo material, particularly Lonesome Cowgirl, Randy was more into country music than any of the other Eagles, at least up until Don's, Cass County. Not even Bernie has released anything as country as Lonesome Cowgirl. It does suit Randy's voice though. I'd say his Bryan Adams cover, Tonight would be his most rocking song. I love the drums in Playin' In The Deep End too. 8)

UndertheWire
12-23-2016, 10:57 AM
I feel that Tryin' and Take the Devil are two of the most "rock" songs on the first album.

Delilah
12-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Judging by his solo material, particularly Lonesome Cowgirl, Randy was more into country music than any of the other Eagles, at least up until Don's, Cass County. Not even Bernie has released anything as country as Lonesome Cowgirl. It does suit Randy's voice though. I'd say his Bryan Adams cover, Tonight would be his most rocking song. I love the drums in Playin' In The Deep End too. 8)

He has said that he was trying to cover all bases with his first album; hence the different styles of music. "Jealousy" from the same album as "Tonight" is also pretty rockin'. But probably his most straight-out rocker is "Rough Edges" from Legacy by Poco. His Meisner, Swan & Rich material is country.

Like the article indicated, Randy showed a lot of versatility throughout his career and could sing anything.

NightMistBlue
12-28-2016, 10:24 AM
And now for something completely different. A Chicago Tribune article mentions sweet Randy in an article about the origins of the runza, a sandwich popular in Nebraska and surrounding environs. "Americans of Volga German descent include Eagles musician Randy Meisner, born in Scottsbluff, Nebraska." Oh, Randy! :yay:

http://www.courant.com/travel/ct-runza-restaurant-nebraska-travel-0108-20161223-story.html

Delilah
12-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Very cool! Thanks!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Interesting!

NightMistBlue
01-11-2017, 01:10 PM
It occurs to me that maybe some newer Borderers haven't seen this 1988 video interview with the Randster, where he discusses his music career with a DJ.

The video also features interviews with Rick Roberts (Firefall, Burrito Bros) and the late Gene Clark (Byrds). The Randy part begins at like 18:54.

Turn it up loud, he's a very soft-spoken guy :inlove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzt_BDRnCLE

East Texas Girl
01-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Thanks for posting NMB. I have seen it before but it never hurts to watch it again! :wink:

Funk 50
02-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Here's something to look out for. A taper recorded this concert back in 1978 but has only just posted it online, at the dime-a-dozen website, since it's pretty poor quality.

I haven't had the chance to download and listen to it yet but it's an interesting set list:

RANDY MEISNER
HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA @ GOLDEN BEAR
26 August 1978

01. Lonesome Cowgirl
02. Too Many Lovers
03. Save The Last Dance For Me
04. Bad Man
05. Please Be With Me
06. Try And Love Again
07. Every Other Day
08. Take It To The Limit
09. ??
10. I Really Want You
11. Too Many Hands
12. Heartsong
13. Best Of My Love

:-)

NightMistBlue
02-14-2017, 09:22 AM
Wow, very rare. Thank you, Funk! I'm rather surprised that he did "Best of My Love" on his own and would love to hear a Randy lead vocal on this.

Where does one find the actual files on that site... When I click on Forums, Links it's full of messages from 2004-09.

Delilah
02-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Thanks, F50! This is intriguing. I'm not familiar with this website; I'll have to do look into it.:computer:

NightMistBlue
02-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Let us know if you make any headway, D. It's beyond my ken.

East Texas Girl
02-14-2017, 01:59 PM
It's over my head...I'll leave it to you sleuths!

Delilah
02-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Well, I can "see" the file info but am unable to download, so it's frustrating and I don't have the time now to look into it more. Someone in the comments section said that he actually saw the show. How lucky! This isn't an area I know much about.

But I'm "tryin"...

NightMistBlue
02-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Thank you for tryin', Miss D. When you have time, perhaps you could post a link to the file in question?

Take your time. Truth be told, I've rarely been able to download things over the years, especially torrent things. It's often in the .rar format, and I only get so far. :headscratch:

Funk 50
02-15-2017, 07:17 AM
It's been quite a while since I've been an active member of dime-a-dozen, from memory you need to set up an account to download a torrent. It's free. You email your own username and password to them and they reply with the account confirmation.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/index.php

You'll need bit torrent software to put your computer in touch with computers that already have the torrent you wish to download (and are willing to share it). That is also free and easy to find. Some web browsers come with bit torrent software already installed.

If you are downloading a torrent, you are referred to as a leecher.
If you have the torrent and are allowing others to download it from your computer, you're a seeder.
The more seeders there are, the quicker you'll receive the torrent.

To download further torrents from dime-a-dozen you need to seed a percentage (I think it's 25% plus) of the stuff you've leeched.

The torrent will appear on your computer, as a folder of mainly flac files, which can be played on some media players or converted to wav or mp3 files using a decent audio converter.

It can be a bit of a rigmarole but it's well worth the trouble for any loyal music fans.
I'd say that the dime-a-dozen site is, new user, friendly with help and information links on the header of every page.

That's about as much as I know about bit torrent downloading.
Here's the link for;
Randy Meisner
Huntington Beach, CA @ Golden Bear 1978-08-26

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=584302

Good luck Meisner fans :yay:

NightMistBlue
02-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Thank you so much, Funk! Very kind indeed. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I'm in! And once again, I doff my (metaphorical) hat to Funk, because I see this was only loaded on Monday and Mr. F. was right there on the scene.

I don't see a highlighted link - is that what one looks for? - or other indication of a file(s) to be downloaded.

Delilah
02-15-2017, 12:14 PM
Thank you, F50. When I was reading up on this yesterday, it seemed like I was glimpsing into a netherworld of back-alley file sharing, complete with its own mystery language and code, lol. Not unlike what happens in the gaming community. It does seem something of a black hole, however.

NightMistBlue
02-15-2017, 05:54 PM
The things we do for love of Randy!

Funk 50
02-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Thank you so much, Funk! Very kind indeed. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I'm in! And once again, I doff my (metaphorical) hat to Funk, because I see this was only loaded on Monday and Mr. F. was right there on the scene.

I don't see a highlighted link - is that what one looks for? - or other indication of a file(s) to be downloaded.

Thanks for all your kind words Meisner fans. I was a perplexed to find that you're still unable to get the Meisner show. You've done everything right but I found out yesterday, after a bit of digging around, that the dime-a-dozen moderators have recently added an extra task, before you are able to download your first torrent file.

As of 2015-02-03, all new accounts start at Guest rank. (Check your membership rank in the upper right corner of any DIME page while you're logged in). To be able to participate in our torrents, you must email the moderators to request a promotion to the Power User rank): http://www.dimeadozen.org/extras-contact.php

Your message must come from the contact address in your DIME profile, and its text must specify your username (but NOT your password!) as well as stating your reason for writing.

All such requests are reviewed by management and processed manually. We will try to respond within forty-eight hours; allow us at least that long before writing again or reminding us.

Before you send it, or while you're waiting to hear back, we strongly recommend that you read our cautions for new members at this page in DimeWiki: all DIME members are expected to know the information there.

I've found out that I was demoted to Guest Rank quite a while ago and I'm unable to delete my account but I have discovered that dime-a-dozen have occasional "Freeloader" days when I will be able to download torrents. The most recent Freeloader days were over Christmas.

I'll exercise my impeccable Eagles patience and attempt to get Randy's concert during the next freeloader day if I don't locate it elsewhere first.

Sorry if this isn't Meisner newsworthy. :|

NightMistBlue
02-16-2017, 02:40 PM
It's incredibly newsworthy, and very helpful as well.

I too may wait for a Freeloader day... but then, I'm very curious to hear "Best of My Love" with Randy singing lead.

East Texas Girl
02-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the digging and researching everyone! I certainly appreciate it!! I hope someone is able to retrieve the concert, it is definitely outside of my realm. I look forward to hearing more about it.

NightMistBlue
02-16-2017, 06:07 PM
I'm hearing (from the little birdie) that TITTL is particularly awesome and Randy goes for the super high note at the end.

East Texas Girl
02-17-2017, 01:46 PM
I'm hearing (from the little birdie) that TITTL is particularly awesome and Randy goes for the super high note at the end.

NMB, I wish your "little birdie" would share this with us!

NightMistBlue
02-17-2017, 02:49 PM
I'll ask Soda what her policy is about posting bootlegs here. I would assume it's a no-no?

East Texas Girl
02-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Oh for sure. I don't want to break rules or get anyone in trouble.

NightMistBlue
02-22-2017, 12:11 PM
As we thought, no posting of bootlegs may not be done without severe punishment. Violators are forced to take an exam on William Faulkner consisting entirely of essay questions! [shudders]

East Texas Girl
02-22-2017, 01:38 PM
As we thought, no posting of bootlegs may not be done without severe punishment. Violators are forced to take an exam on William Faulkner consisting entirely of essay questions! [shudders]

Ok, got it! Definitely don't want to take the exam, it has been too long since I have opened a school book. :wink:

NightMistBlue
02-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Sorry about the double negative in my message, I was distracted. Trying to put together my first YT video.

Delilah
02-22-2017, 04:49 PM

Yikes! Multiple-choice I could probably handle, but essay?

NMB - I think I know what YT video you're posting. :thumbsup:

NightMistBlue
02-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Was trying to do one for Summer Wind, but am defeated again by technology. I have a silent photo slideshow at this point, no audio. Sometimes, I just want to live in the forest like a cavewoman of yore...

Delilah
02-22-2017, 05:04 PM
You are braver than I - I couldn't even attempt to do one. Good luck.

East Texas Girl
02-24-2017, 03:07 PM
You both have me beat... I will just enjoy the efforts of others! :grin:

randysgirl
03-04-2017, 11:16 PM

My degree is in English Lit and I seriously disliked Faulkner. Maybe I would appreciate him more now than I did at 22 years old.

NightMistBlue
03-06-2017, 03:37 PM
I enjoyed reading "The Wild Palms" aka "Absalom! Absalom!" (even though I was never really sure what was going on), but the audio version of "The Sound and the Fury" pushed me right to the edge, and not in a good way.

Delilah
03-06-2017, 04:01 PM
I cannot imagine listening to "The Sound and the Fury." That one works better using your own imagination for the different narrative voices. IMO.

"Light in August" is the one I couldn't quite connect with. I like his short stories, although it's been a long time since I've read anything by him (like BK).

Funk 50
05-19-2017, 10:11 AM
I'm a bit mixed up with my Meiner threads :huh:

I saw this photo on L&M's page last week. I didn't realise that it involved writing and recording :smile:

From Jack Tempchin's page;

https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/posts/10156192092639816

NightMistBlue
05-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Isn't it wonderful? :rockon: We've been discussing it in the RM Photo thread.

Funk 50
05-20-2017, 10:03 AM
Sorry guys, I tend to skip the "photo" threads :blush:

I was kinda surprised that I hadn't seen it mentioned. It is wonderful. It's a prickly topic but it does suggest that his ex-wife didn't support his continued participation in his chosen vocation. :shrug:

Delilah
05-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Sorry guys, I tend to skip the "photo" threads :blush:

I was kinda surprised that I hadn't seen it mentioned. It is wonderful.

It was a major development and probably should have gotten its own topic. There was so much excitement about it though...

It's a prickly topic but it does suggest that his ex-wife didn't support his continued participation in his chosen vocation. :shrug:

My thoughts on this are aligned with yours, Funk50. However, she may have had her reasons.

DJ
05-21-2017, 06:32 PM
It's just great to see Randy out of the house. About the music/writing I am taking that with a grain of salt. :cool:

NightMistBlue
05-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Perhaps we could start a new thread "Recent Randy sightings." Let's hope it becomes a more common occurence :hug:

NightMistBlue
07-31-2017, 02:00 PM
Vote for Randy as "The Best Rock Bass Player" - he's currently #9. Go, Randy, go!

http://www.ranker.com/list/best-rock-bass-player-of-70-and-_39_s/maddog?ref=also_ranked&pos=1&a=0&l=1873111&ltype=n&g=1

Delilah
07-31-2017, 02:19 PM
When I saw #9 I thought that was a typo! The last I looked he was #29 out of 70! Wow, he sure climbed up. :smile:

East Texas Girl
07-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Done! Keep climbing Randy!!

Annoying Twit
07-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Voted :)

NightMistBlue
07-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Thank ya! It takes a village :grin:

New Kid In Town
07-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Done ! So happy for Randy and so nice to see him out and about. Also agree with you about his wife, may she RIP.

NightMistBlue
08-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Hooray! Timothy is at #27, which is a not bad considering the sterling company he's in.

NightMistBlue
08-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Randy is at #2! http://www.ranker.com/list/best-rock-bass-player-of-70-and-_39_s/maddog?var=3&utm_expid=16418821-311.AAszGoDYQ7WZsue0Bhz6ww.2&ref=also_ranked&pos=1&a=0&l=1873111&ltype=n&g=1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F

Jonny Come Lately
08-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Just seen this now - got my vote in for Randy!

Aside from the most obvious highlights of Randy's bass playing in the Eagles (Outlaw Man, One Of These Nights, Life In The Fast Lane), I have to say I really like his playing on the On The Border album in particular. One part I especially enjoy is the bass at the end of the guitar solo in the middle of James Dean. I can't claim to have any expertise in assessing bass playing, but I think that's a cool part.

Delilah
08-06-2017, 01:33 PM
JCL, I agree! I love his bass playing on Witchy Woman and Too Many Hands, as well as the live version of Tryin. But his bass lines on the OTB album really stand out to me--Already Gone, You Never Cry Like a Lover, and Best of My Love especially.

He did some great bass work with Rick Nelson too, although I realize most people probably don't think "70s rock" when they think of the Stone Canyon Band. Still, anyone who's curious should check out "If You Gotta Go, Go Now."

Maybe we should start a new thread or poll--favorite Randy basslines.

NightMistBlue
08-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Randy is #1! Man, I didn't think anyone could get Entwistle out of first place - he was entrenched. But now Meis is king. Yeah!

http://www.ranker.com/list/best-rock-bass-player-of-70-and-_39_s/maddog?ref=also_ranked&pos=1&a=0&l=1873111&ltype=n&g=1

Delilah
08-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Yay, Randy!! :yay:

Now time to get him ranked higher in the "all-time best bass player" list; he's about #134, I think.

East Texas Girl
08-09-2017, 11:29 AM
WooHoo Randy!! :partytime:

And Timothy is at #19.

East Texas Girl
08-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Saw this pop up if anyone is in the area...

— Sunday, Aug. 20 10:30 am-dark

13th Annual Concert in the Park, 10:30 a.m., dark. at Centennial Park in Mitchell. Performances starting at noon: Pine Ridge Agency Singers and Many Nations Dancers, Freddy Marquez, Avid Discord, Green Valley Homesteaders, New Song, Danny O & the Troublemakers,Drivin’ Dynamics with a tribute to Randy Meisner, who was a founding member of the Eagles.

Here is the link:

http://www.starherald.com/news/local_news_briefs/mitchell-area-chamber-of-commerce-hosting-eclipse-events/article_e5c58e10-617c-5b54-a86a-b1c641770efb.html

Delilah
08-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Thanks for posting that, ETG. I love that Randy is being recognized with a tribute. He was a founding member of the Drivin Dynamics as well as the Eagles.

Delilah
08-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Randy and "Hearts On Fire" get a shout-out on Jim Cornette's Drive-Thru radio show. A listener with the last name of Meisner emails a question, and Mr. Cornette wonders if he's related to Randy Meisner. Then Mr. Cornette goes on to say that "Hearts on Fire" is one of his favorite early 80s pop hits and "just google it...a very underrated forgotten deserving of a summertime pop song."

Jim Cornette is apparently a well-known wrestling personality. I don't follow wrestling so I'm not familiar with him, but I think it's so cool that he recommended the song to his listeners.

To listen to the podcast, click on the link and scroll down to Episode 6, April 3, 2017. The bit about Randy starts about 8 minutes in. I should mention that he also says Timothy is the only nice one of the Eagles.

Warning: colorful language and political talk precede the Randy part

http://www.mlwradio.com/jim-cornette-s-drive-thru.html

NightMistBlue
08-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Wouldn't it be great if "Hearts on Fire" was used in a movie or tv show and got a lot of new fans.

Delilah
08-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Wouldn't it be great if "Hearts on Fire" was used in a movie or tv show and got a lot of new fans.

That would be so great. Although I think I'd prefer "Deep Inside My Heart" or "Gotta Get Away" but HOF is fine too!

I've often thought TALA would be great to use in a Richard Linklater-type movie.

Delilah
10-10-2017, 11:40 AM
I came across this interview of Stephen A. Love, Randy’s friend and former band mate from Gold Rush. Stephen replaced Randy when Randy left the Stone Canyon Band a second time.

He shares this memory of being in London at the same the Eagles debut album was being made (he goes into more detail in the Rick Nelson biography):

Are there any memories from gigs, jams, open acts and studio sessions which you’d like to share with us?

The “Royal Albert Hall” in London is the best gig anyone will every play in a lifetime. I did once with “Rick Nelson” when our smash hit “Garden Party” was number one! It had sold 8 million copies by that time and it was a phenomenal experience to be treasured. I almost missed the performance because I was at Trident studio’s outside London listening to the very first “Eagles” album all afternoon with Glyn John and the boys. I am the first person to ever hear that album played for me that day. I knew it was a hit! They were on their way!

He brings it up again towards the end of the blog:

Let’s take a trip with a time machine, so where and why would you really wanna go for a whole day..?

1971: London, England to be the first person to hear the first “Eagles” album at Trident Studio’s, thanks to Randy Meisner and play through Jimmy Page of Led Zepplin’s recording amplifier, then back to limousine and the “ROYAL ALBERT HALL” for the concert of a lifetime!
”Stephen A. Love: Rock & Roll Gumbo”, Blues GR, June 26, 2015 (http://blues.gr/profiles/blogs/veteran-multitalented-stephen-a-love-talks-about-ricky-nelson)

East Texas Girl
10-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Cool find, Delilah! I would like to take a trip on that time machine as well!!

NightMistBlue
10-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Very nice, thank you D. Which Rick Nelson biography?

Dawn
10-10-2017, 03:45 PM
I came across this interview of Stephen A. Love, Randy’s friend and former band mate from Gold Rush. Stephen replaced Randy when Randy left the Stone Canyon Band a second time.

He shares this memory of being in London at the same the Eagles debut album was being made (he goes into more detail in the Rick Nelson biography):

He brings it up again towards the end of the blog:

”Stephen A. Love: Rock & Roll Gumbo”, Blues GR, June 26, 2015 (http://blues.gr/profiles/blogs/veteran-multitalented-stephen-a-love-talks-about-ricky-nelson)

Great find, thanks Delilah. :thumbsup:

Delilah
10-11-2017, 10:28 AM
You’re welcome everyone.

Very nice, thank you D. Which Rick Nelson biography?

Rick Nelson, Rock ‘n’ Roll Pioneer by Sheree Homer

NightMistBlue
10-11-2017, 08:01 PM
That book looks interesting. Did the author talk to Randy by any chance, or did she have much to say about him?

Delilah
10-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Yes she did, but there wasn’t anything really new from him. However I only read excerpts. There are a couple of interesting details like how Rick and the Stone Canyon were really hot at the beginning and sold out the Troubadour for a week. There are also revelations about why Allen Kemp and Pat Shanahan quit.

Here’s the link—

Rick Nelson, Rock ‘n’ Roll Pioneer by Sheree Homer (https://books.google.com/books?id=DBiPOnnsslwC&pg=PA97&lpg=PA97&dq=Rick+Nelson+Randy+Meisner&source=bl&ots=WG20i73Sm-&sig=Po00ZVRZ8KRaHdWb1cpxNd-NlIA&hl=en&sa=X#v=onepage&q=Nelson%20Randy%20Meisner&f=false)

NightMistBlue
10-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Ooh, that's going on my Amazon wish list. Thanks, D.!

Pardon my geeking, but there's something so cool about having a song that originated from Randy and Stephen Love's band Goldrush.

Delilah
10-12-2017, 12:32 PM
I hadn’t thought about it that way, but you’re right. Even though Randy doesn’t have a writing credit, they may have performed it together. It’s been awhile since I’ve listened to that song. I remember being impressed.

(I plan to get the book too, eventually)

NightMistBlue
10-12-2017, 01:57 PM
I think I already mentioned that I read the Phillip Bashe bio on Rick Nelson. Some people criticized it for reporting on Mr. Nelson's promiscuity and drug use, but it wasn't a trash wallow. It was balanced.

Delilah
12-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Randy makes another list on Ranker. This time he’s 88th out of 303 “Greatest Jewish Singers and Songwriters.” :stunned: Just when I thought I knew just about everything about the Meis...

https://m.ranker.com/list/list-of-famous-jewish-singers-and-songwriters/famous-jews?var=13&utm_expid=16418821-355.z5py30_4Qv-qiqcaCBE8tg.2&ref=also_ranked&pos=2&a=0&l=1873111&ltype=n&g=1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fm.ranker.com%2Freview%2 Frandy-meisner%2F1873111

ETA: this is a great showing for Randy, lots of great talent on this list! :thumbsup:

NightMistBlue
12-26-2017, 05:25 PM
He's not Jewish though. His mom (and I assume his Dad) went to a Congregationalist church and was said to be a committed Christian.
Interesting though! You find the coolest things D!

YoungEaglesFan
12-26-2017, 09:30 PM
He's not Jewish though. His mom (and I assume his Dad) went to a Congregationalist church and was said to be a committed Christian.
Interesting though! You find the coolest things D!

Could they mean ethnically Jewish?

buffyfan145
12-26-2017, 09:53 PM
I thought the same thing and maybe he had Jewish ancestors.

Freypower
12-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Could they mean ethnically Jewish?

There is no such thing. Judaism is a religion, not a race. It is also passed down throught the mother's line only.

People seem to have looked at his obviously German surname & made an assumption that he's Jewish.

YoungEaglesFan
12-27-2017, 06:42 PM
There is no such thing. Judaism is a religion, not a race. It is also passed down throught the mother's line only.

People seem to have looked at his obviously German surname & made an assumption that he's Jewish.

From my research it seems that being Jewish could mean a ethnicity or a religion but Judaism is the religion.

Freypower
12-27-2017, 06:59 PM
From my research it seems that being Jewish could mean a ethnicity or a religion but Judaism is the religion.

http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

buffyfan145
12-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Ancestry . com actually does consider Jewish an ethnic group now that are either from various European, Middle East, or Russian regions. My Mom just did the DNA kit and waiting her results but if you look at their site it is listed as ethic groups in people's ancestry. It's listed under the link for "See All Regions".

https://www.ancestry.com/dna/

NightMistBlue
12-28-2017, 10:57 AM
I know that Randy's ancestry is Volga German, which is considered an ethnicity. His ancestors were Germans who settled in Russia for a time (don't know how long) before emigrating to Colorado at first, then settling in Nebraska.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volga_Germans

Delilah
12-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Randy’s family was in Russia for about 100 years before migrating to the States. They were Lutheran. A wonderful family history was compiled by an incredibly devoted and knowledgeable fan with the username of Tenor Key on another music forum. I will find the proper link if anyone is interested.

NightMistBlue
12-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Thank you! I had read that post by Tenor Key when I was a new fan, but missed the part about them being Lutheran.

East Texas Girl
12-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all the info, it is new to me. I would like to view the link if you can find it again Delilah.

Delilah
12-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Hi ETG,

Here’s the link—scroll down to the bottom. The family history starts at post #194.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/who-digs-randy-meisner-original-member-of-the-eagles.569354/page-10

(The only reference to the family’s Lutheran heritage is that one of Randy’s forefathers was a Lutheran who married another Lutheran, so I may have overstated the case somewhat).

New Kid In Town
12-28-2017, 10:11 PM
I read that article and a lot of people on the list are not Jewish. Harry C. Jr. is not Jewish. As far as I know, Jewish has always been considered a religion and not an ethnic group. I have two friends who are Jewish. One has a father who is Christian and a mother who is Jewish. She states her religion is Judaism and states her ethnic history is such and such. The other is Jewish and also states her ethnic group is such and such. Both have stated their religion is Judaism. They have never stated it is their ethnic history. I think they(the people who wrote the article) made the assumption based on Randy's last name that he is Jewish.

NightMistBlue
12-29-2017, 10:40 AM
I'm still wondering why Ranker claims John and Michelle Phillips (The Mamas and the Papas for you young 'uns) are Jewish. But since they don't say anything about their criteria or sources, we can only regard it as a mildly interesting list.

Thanks for the link to The Gear page, Delilah!

East Texas Girl
12-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Hi ETG,

Here’s the link—scroll down to the bottom. The family history starts at post #194.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/who-digs-randy-meisner-original-member-of-the-eagles.569354/page-10

(The only reference to the family’s Lutheran heritage is that one of Randy’s forefathers was a Lutheran who married another Lutheran, so I may have overstated the case somewhat).

Thanks for the link, Delilah, I will check it out!

NightMistBlue
02-26-2018, 11:34 AM
Here's a well-written review of the Randman's 1980 solo album One More Song.
http://www.thegreatalbums.com/blog/2016/8/31/eagles-solo-albums-from-the-lost-and-found-part-1-one-more-song

I like how the reviewer pointed out that several members of Randy's Silverados were in Kim Carnes' band. They of course shared a producer in Val Garay as well.

Delilah
02-26-2018, 08:44 PM
Thank you for posting that, NMB. I’m glad to see that album getting some latter-day recognition (the blogger also offers some praise for Randy’s next one). I happen to think the One More Song album cover is one of the best of the solo Eagles albums. Hmm...maybe an idea for a new thread. :idea:

Delilah
03-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Country artist Collin Raye, who hit it big in the 90s, wrote his autobiography in 2014 and includes a passage about Randy. He describes Randy as one of his musical heroes who inspired hm to start a musical career. Mr. Raye identified with Randy, b/c he wanted to play bass and sing, and not be the center of attention. He would watch Randy “like a hawk” at concerts b/c Randy played bass.

Like for so many others it seems, TITTL was a “total life-changer” for Collin. Fast-forward to 1997 and he discovers Randy and his band* were opening for him. They meet (“he was extremely nice to us”) and Randy, being the kind gracious guy he is, invites Collin to join him at the end to sing Take It to the Limit.

*there is apparently a mix-up here with Collin saying it was the Roberts Meisner Band opening for him. But since this was 1997, that would be very unlikely.

“A Voice Undefeated” by Collin Raye, 2014 (https://books.google.com/books?id=zFRHDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT202&lpg=PT202&dq=Randy+Meisner+Beach+Boys&source=bl&ots=TGY5hJpN02&sig=FpOwBeIm8hF5yyJ88iwQa3nZPFM&hl=en&sa=X#v=onepage&q&f=false)

FreyFollower
03-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Country artist Collin Raye, who hit it big in the 90s, wrote his autobiography in 2014 and includes a passage about Randy. He describes Randy as one of his musical heroes who inspired hm to start a musical career. Mr. Raye identified with Randy, b/c he wanted to play bass and sing, and not be the center of attention. He would watch Randy “like a hawk” at concerts b/c Randy played bass.

Like for so many others it seems, TITTL was a “total life-changer” for Collin. Fast-forward to 1997 and he discovers Randy and his band* were opening for him. They meet (“he was extremely nice to us”) and Randy, being the kind gracious guy he is, invites Collin to join him at the end to sing Take It to the Limit.

*there is apparently a mix-up here with Collin saying it was the Roberts Meisner Band opening for him. But since this was 1997, that would be very unlikely.

“A Voice Undefeated” by Collin Raye, 2014 (https://books.google.com/books?id=zFRHDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT202&lpg=PT202&dq=Randy+Meisner+Beach+Boys&source=bl&ots=TGY5hJpN02&sig=FpOwBeIm8hF5yyJ88iwQa3nZPFM&hl=en&sa=X#v=onepage&q&f=false)
I don't remember Colin playing bass, but as a tenor, I'm sure he totally looked up to Randy. Being asked to sing TITTL with him must have been a dream come true! But I can't imagine having to follow that!

NightMistBlue
03-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Gosh, another wonderful find - thank you so much, Delilah! You can find these overlooked treasures, and I know it's not easy. Kudos to you, gal.

What did you make of the quote, "He was extremely nice to us - for an Eagle that is!" Does that mean, nice but not *too* nice? Nice by rock star standards?

He probably didn't mean anything bad by it. Goodness knows, there is total consensus that Randy is a great guy, even Mr. Henley says so. We'll never find an anecdote about someone meeting The Meis and have them report, "He had a real attitude" or "He was unforgivably rude to my kids." That'll never happen.

shunlvswx
03-01-2018, 06:21 PM
How cool. I love Collin Raye. I saw him in concert once in 1996. A great singer and I love his voice.

East Texas Girl
03-01-2018, 07:14 PM
That's cool, Delilah, thanks! I remember listening to Collin Raye in my country days. If I am not mistaken he lived in Greenville Texas for a bit, which is about 45 minutes from me.

buffyfan145
03-01-2018, 09:14 PM
That's an awesome find Delilah!!! :D I too love Collin Raye.

Delilah
03-19-2018, 08:26 AM
A Waylon Jennings tribute account on Twitter quoted some lyrics to Take the Devil—very cool!

https://twitter.com/WaymoreJennings/status/974813907247300609?s=20

East Texas Girl
03-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Thanks for finding and sharing that Delilah. I have always like that line. :grooving:

Delilah
05-09-2018, 05:45 PM
This is a great tweet that references Randy, this time courtesy of astronomer and journalist Will Gater who posts an amazing picture of a lunar crater (a ‘Randy Meisner’ image). He has some other really cool pics on his twitter page.

https://twitter.com/willgater/status/968069267630579712?s=20

LuvTim
05-10-2018, 09:26 AM
This is a great tweet that references Randy, this time courtesy of astronomer and journalist Will Gater who posts an amazing picture of a lunar crater (a ‘Randy Meisner’ image). He has some other really cool pics on his twitter page.

That is very cool! 8) I hope Randy gets to see that.

East Texas Girl
05-10-2018, 11:30 AM
That's way cool, Delilah! It is wonderful to see others express their appreciation of Randy and the impact he made!

NightMistBlue
05-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Very cool find, Delilah :cheers:

Delilah
10-26-2018, 02:22 PM
I tried posting the link but it’s not accessible w/o an IG account plus I don’t know how to embed it. Anyway, I found this:

https://i.postimg.cc/zXkBTFjW/F878-E54-E-9-AE6-49-CD-B769-D3-C0-ACDB5127.jpg

I wonder if if this is the car Randy had to sell so he could move back to California.

sodascouts
10-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Wow! What a cool find! I love little things like this.

NightMistBlue
10-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Awesome, Delilah! But oh... I wish they hadn't changed the color. The rich green was so beautiful.

I'll try to share this with Steve Edwards, guitarist on Randy's 1978 album and tour. He's been popping up on Facebook from time to time. He shared a memory of this car: Randy and the band drove it to the front of The Roxy in L.A., on the night the album's launch party was held. I can imagine that made for quite an entrance!

Randy purchased it already restored, and - as you can tell from the album photos - it was absolutely gorgeous.

10-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Very cool, ladies!

CAinOH
10-29-2018, 10:10 PM
Found this on Facebook. I don't know where it came from, sorry.

https://content.screencast.com/users/cheryl7821/folders/Default/media/b5ab07b3-a9f0-4fb4-9305-40db2d802834/RMeisnerArticle.jpg

sodascouts
10-29-2018, 10:24 PM
Love that photo of Randy.

New Kid In Town
10-30-2018, 07:03 AM
Wow, Randy looks great in that picture ! Thank You Ladies.

My My
10-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Thanks, CA! Love it!

East Texas Girl
10-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Hmm, hmm, hmm, what a gorgeous man!! :heart: :smitten: :inlove: Thanks so much CA!!

NightMistBlue
10-30-2018, 02:29 PM
He's waaayyy too sexy. Don't know how the people around him withstood it.

NightMistBlue
11-03-2018, 11:19 AM
This recent article focuses on Randy’s bass-playing style. She thinks Randy is particularly unique as a groove player: http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2018/09/07/bass-players-to-know-randy-meisner/?fbclid=IwAR1k7EiT4BjmF4v3CRjg5NaqUl4SfZCAzJkvhuFC syRfz5tVry8RL0SOq-E

Delilah
11-03-2018, 01:49 PM
This recent article focuses on Randy’s bass-playing style. She thinks Randy is particularly unique as a groove player: http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2018/09/07/bass-players-to-know-randy-meisner/?fbclid=IwAR1k7EiT4BjmF4v3CRjg5NaqUl4SfZCAzJkvhuFC syRfz5tVry8RL0SOq-E

Thanks for posting this! I’ve read it before—it’s gratifying whenever musicians take note of Randy’s work. I thought I recognized Randy’s bass playing in “Calico Lady” and it seems the writer agrees. So I guess not all his bass parts were wiped from the album.

This passage is also interesting:
As a groove player, Meisner’s attention to note duration is quite unique. He often players shorter, punchier notes with rests in between them; this assertive rhythmic approach helps to define the feel of the song as well as his personal style. This attention to note duration, and particularly in keeping his notes short and precise, is evident in songs such as “Hotel California and “Life in the Fast Lane.”

I have a copy of Bass Player magazine where the writer, Brian Fox, says something similar:

Don’t be fooled by the long notes in the “Hotel California” intro (letter A)—the song is filled with ghost notes and slides that combine to make the tune a treasure trove of tasty techniques. Throughout, pay special attention to note duration—it’s clear from the recording Randy carefully chose when to let notes ring and when to cut them off.

(I don’t why I’m getting these different fonts...:headscratch:)

NightMistBlue
11-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Thanks, D!

LuvTim
11-05-2018, 09:49 PM

Such a sexy dude.
I feel like our sweet Timothy will not mind my saying, "Hubba, hubba!" :wink:

Susie R
11-22-2018, 06:14 PM

I have that thought quite often...how did women not jump onstage and make a fool of themselves? lol...I know he wouldn't be safe if I would have seen this live!!!! 2426 :smitten:

*photo from photobucket, but I found it on another site years ago and don't remember which one!!

Delilah
11-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Great shot of Randy at the Voorburg PopGala concert. The people in the audience were so lucky!

Thanks, Susie R!

Delilah
01-23-2019, 02:41 PM
Randy gets compared to an NBA player in this article “Is Karl Anthony Towns the Randy Meisner of the NBA?”, dated Jan. 14. I don’t follow professional basketball much these days so I have no idea who Karl Anthony Towns is or what is his story. But it is really interesting that Randy and his reluctance to sing Take It to the Limit has become part of rock music lore.

An even bigger surprise was that Meisner never enjoyed signing the song. His biggest success became his biggest fear. Randy believed he was unable to consistently hit the high notes the song demanded. Having listened to many different live versions of the song with Meisner singing I can’t seem to find his flaws. Meisner grew uncomfortable when performing the high-pitched notes in the climax of his song. And to the dismay of his bandmates, Meisner to quit the Eagles due o his discomfort.

I was always baffled that someone who seemed so talented in the eyes of others can be afraid of his own gifts. Fans adored the song and the high notes Meisner performed. But I guess perception is a strange thing, and fortunately or unfortunately it is different for everyone. This situation got me thinking of other people who were given talents, but seem to ignore or not use them.

https://medium.com/@thomashughessports/is-karl-anthony-towns-the-randy-meisner-of-the-nba-921ce31a427c?_referrer=twitter

NightMistBlue
01-23-2019, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Delilah!

sodascouts
01-23-2019, 03:35 PM
You know it's true - you hear all these bootlegs and not once do you hear Randy mess up. I bet he missed the notes once in a blue moon, but the fear of it gave Randy so much anxiety he couldn't appreciate all the times he nailed it.

01-24-2019, 12:57 PM
And, to me, the saddest part of all is that fans don't care about perfection in live shows - they just want to hear the songs. So, even if Randy did have an occasional problem hitting the high notes, the fans would have been forgiving if they even noticed at all. I agree that every version of the song I ever heard Randy sing was awesome. It so unfortunate when we get convinced of something in our minds and aren't able to overcome our fears and insecurities.

thughes19
01-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Randy gets compared to an NBA player in this article “Is Karl Anthony Towns the Randy Meisner of the NBA?”, dated Jan. 14. I don’t follow professional basketball much these days so I have no idea who Karl Anthony Towns is or what is his story. But it is really interesting that Randy and his reluctance to sing Take It to the Limit has become part of rock music lore.

https://medium.com/@thomashughessports/is-karl-anthony-towns-the-randy-meisner-of-the-nba-921ce31a427c?_referrer=twitter

Hi,

Thanks a lot for sharing my story. It means a great deal to me. Karl Anthony Towns is a very talented basketball player who was blessed with size and skill. His career to date has been good, but he shows glimpses of an even higher ceiling. Many times I watch him in frustration because he seems to not want to play up to his potential. That is where I drew the parallel to Randy Meisner. I love "Take it to the Limit" and it pains me that Meisner did not feel comfortable doing something so many people loved.

TH

Delilah
01-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for sharing my story. It means a great deal to me. Karl Anthony Towns is a very talented basketball player who was blessed with size and skill. His career to date has been good, but he shows glimpses of an even higher ceiling. Many times I watch him in frustration because he seems to not want to play up to his potential. That is where I drew the parallel to Randy Meisner. I love "Take it to the Limit" and it pains me that Meisner did not feel comfortable doing something so many people loved.

TH

Hello, thughes19, welcome to The Border! Your article was interesting and I was happy to share it.

As as far as Randy’s reluctance to sing TITTL, I feel your pain as well.:sigh:

NightMistBlue
03-02-2019, 10:16 PM
This is a sweet article about 4th graders portraying famous Nebraskans in honor of the state’s birthday. One youngster decided to be The Meis. https://www.starherald.com/news/local_news/geil-fourth-graders-portray-famous-nebraskans-as-they-celebrate-state/article_df36ed67-0fe6-5029-92a7-3a57a734ff6f.html?fbclid=IwAR2Qn3SyLpJlvYRNVb8kuv4 syAmxhMn2StMftgKmC9fc5ZQEXh2ATEr1gt0

LuvTim
03-03-2019, 09:18 PM
This is a sweet article about 4th graders portraying famous Nebraskans in honor of the state’s birthday. One youngster decided to be The Meis. https://www.starherald.com/news/local_news/geil-fourth-graders-portray-famous-nebraskans-as-they-celebrate-state/article_df36ed67-0fe6-5029-92a7-3a57a734ff6f.html?fbclid=IwAR2Qn3SyLpJlvYRNVb8kuv4 syAmxhMn2StMftgKmC9fc5ZQEXh2ATEr1gt0

What a cool fourth grader! :-D

Brooke
03-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Well that's cool! :heart:

East Texas Girl
03-04-2019, 06:36 PM
That is cool, smart girl, there! I bet Randy would be tickled if he knew about this. Thanks, NMB!

03-09-2019, 02:28 PM
Glad to see that Nebraskans of all ages know and honor Randy!

NightMistBlue
03-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Has anyone seen a one-page article from the 5/29/2008 issue of Rolling Stone magazine called "The Forgotten Eagles"? It's about Bernie and Randy.

Delilah
03-18-2019, 06:04 PM
That sounds like an interesting read. I’m not familiar with it - NMB have you tried the Rolling Stone archives? It’s nice to know a publication like RS didn’t completely forget about those two.

ETA: that’s the issue with the Eagles on the cover, right?

NightMistBlue
03-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Yes, ma'am - Eagles on the cover. Tim looking especially cute.

I wonder if our friend Soda has that issue.

CAinOH
03-19-2019, 04:03 PM
I checked the Rolling Stone web site online, and the main article about the Eagles is available, but not the one mentioned here that includes Randy and Bernie.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/617i8ZxruyL.jpg

NightMistBlue
03-19-2019, 07:23 PM
Thank you for checking, CAinOH!

sodascouts
03-19-2019, 10:05 PM
I certainly have that magazine. I just have to find it. I'll give it a shot!

NightMistBlue
03-19-2019, 10:17 PM
Many thanks, Soda!

sodascouts
03-19-2019, 10:31 PM
Found it and scanned it! Sadly, there's not much to it.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/articles/RS2008ForgottenEagles.pdf

NightMistBlue
03-19-2019, 10:39 PM
Beautiful! Thank you so much, Nancy.

I wonder why Bernie doesn’t have a website anymore.

Delilah
03-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Thanks from me too, Soda, it’s much appreciated.

Maybe Bernie’s website was meant to promote his album and other music. After awhile he may have gotten bored with it or generally disinterested and moved on.

03-20-2019, 09:55 PM
I found it - it is in the May, 2008 issue. It is embedded as an insert on the final page of the Eagles article.

Here's the write-up on Randy:

Randy Meisner

INSTRUMENT Bass YEARS IN BAND '71 - '77

CONTRIBUTIONS - Meisner co-wrote and sang lead on the 1975 hit "Take It to the Limit." His high tenor was an integral part of the Eagles' harmony.

DEPARTURE - His influence dwindled as Henley and Frey solidified control. "I felt like a member of the group, not a part of it," he says. Conflicts between him and Frey boiled over, and he quit after a backstage fistfight between the two.

WHERE IS HE NOW? - Meisner lives in Studio City, California, and plays occasional gigs. Royalties have kept him very wealthy, but he'd like to perform with the band again. "Last time they came to town, I asked if I could sing "Take It to the Limit," he tells RS. "I didn't get a response. I'm not bitter. I got my house, a great wife, two Chihuahuas and five-foot tomato plants. I'm happy. How much money do you need?"

I'll post Bernie's write-up in his thread later.

Delilah
03-27-2019, 02:55 PM
This interview dated Jan. 31, 2019 is with Vince Gill but I mention here because of something he said that caught my attention:

​​“I don’t have any false illusions that I’m going to sing something better than Glenn or better than (former Eagles bassist) Randy (Meisner),” he says, adding with a laugh, “There are still people who are mad that (Meisner) isn’t in the band, and he’s been gone for 40 years!”

It’s funny and surprising that he has actually encountered this reaction and that it still pops up. :grin:

https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/vince-gill-s-timely-forever-changed-uncovers-tough-topics/article_53a4e826-004f-5cb5-9ec8-20065b55f2a7.html

NightMistBlue
04-14-2019, 10:30 PM
This was new to me: the DJ Redbeard interviewing Glenn and Randy about Desperado and On the Border. Wonderful stuff! http://www.inthestudio.net/online-on-demand/eagles-desperado-on-the-border-45th-anniversary-randy-meisner-the-late-glenn-frey/?fbclid=IwAR0x0oZyl3FgupiZ1jDGS72GG7P-Dtl4d4HjOVLGC9l9Eaocl97hraUrbfs

NightMistBlue
04-14-2019, 10:41 PM
P.S. I love how Randy could remember the name of Glenn’s horse from the Desperado photo shoot 20 years later! Whatta doll.

Delilah
04-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Thank you so much for this NMB!! I have read this interview existed but I never got to hear it. So far it sounds really interesting - Glenn saying Poco’s live shows were exciting but their records were “too polite” and the FBB were sloppy in the studio. He really studied what these bands did wrong recording-wise and tried to not make the same mistakes.

When I have time I will try to transcribe it before it gets sent to the cornfield again.

NightMistBlue
04-16-2019, 07:16 PM
To the cornfield! What a cute expression.

That’s going to be a big undertaking to transcribe it - the program is almost 90 minutes long! Isn’t it possible to save the audio? Then you can always hear Randy’s sweet voice and laugh.

NightMistBlue
04-16-2019, 07:19 PM
P.S. Glenn’s interview took place May 9, 1992 and Randy’s interview in 1989 when he was in Dallas to play a Poco concert.

New Kid In Town
04-17-2019, 06:40 AM
Thank You NMB for this interview ! I have listened to about 15 minutes so far and hope to hear the rest of it before it disappears. What a great find !

NightMistBlue
04-17-2019, 11:08 AM
I'm glad you all are enjoying it as much as I am. It was posted on a Randy fan page on FB and I didn't click on it for a day or so, as I thought it was the *other* Redbeard interview, but that only covered their debut album.

Anyhoo, if our young friend Austin is around, he may enjoy the part where Glenn explains the tuning to "Best of My Love."

YoungEaglesFan
04-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Thanks NMB for posting this! I’m listening to it right now and It’s fascinating. Could you possibly post the link to the link for the other interview for the first album? Unless it’s been posted in here before.

Delilah
04-17-2019, 02:20 PM
To the cornfield! What a cute expression.

That’s going to be a big undertaking to transcribe it - the program is almost 90 minutes long! Isn’t it possible to save the audio? Then you can always hear Randy’s sweet voice and laugh.

I’ve read that expression somewhere and me being a Twilight Zone fan, it stuck.:-)

No doubt it’s possible to save the audio but I’m too technologically challenged to figure it out. :confused: Anyway, I may just transcribe the Randy parts. Glenn had a number of interviews back around then but there is little from Randy.

CAinOH
04-17-2019, 02:37 PM
No doubt it’s possible to save the audio but I’m too technologically challenged to figure it out. :confused: Anyway, I may just transcribe the Randy parts. Glenn had a number of interviews back around then but there is little from Randy.

Sshh... don't tell. I've got it. :) It's an MP3.

NightMistBlue
04-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Thanks NMB for posting this! I’m listening to it right now and It’s fascinating. Could you possibly post the link to the link for the other interview for the first album? Unless it’s been posted in here before.

Here you go, YoungEaglesFan!
http://www.inthestudio.net/online-on-demand/eagles-45th-anniversary-glenn-frey-randy-meisner/

Scarlet Sun
04-17-2019, 09:16 PM
This was new to me: the DJ Redbeard interviewing Glenn and Randy about Desperado and On the Border. Wonderful stuff! http://www.inthestudio.net/online-on-demand/eagles-desperado-on-the-border-45th-anniversary-randy-meisner-the-late-glenn-frey/?fbclid=IwAR0x0oZyl3FgupiZ1jDGS72GG7P-Dtl4d4HjOVLGC9l9Eaocl97hraUrbfs
I like how Redbeard calls Glyn Johns "Glynis," just like John Lennon did when the Beatles were making Let it Be :laugh:

NightMistBlue
04-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Awful nice to see you On the Border again, Scarlet Sun. I have “Let It Be” on VHS somewhere, but never watched more than a few minutes. Didn’t realize that Glyn was in it. Hopefully some generous soul has posted it on the YouTubes.

NightMistBlue
04-23-2019, 09:07 AM
As you know, Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band appeared on a short-lived tv show called "Get It Together" in 1970. Clever people - not me - have found a scan of an article that 16 Magazine did on the show, which was hosted by Cass Elliott. http://lostmediawiki.com/Get_It_Together_(partially_found_music_TV_show;_19 70)?fbclid=IwAR2sK0eaBVP5lyS6Q2yhmZxuQ3X7V3o-ydKIv459C1Kaf0mbaYuD-C9Ru5U (https://lostmediawiki.com/Get_It_Together_(partially_found_music_TV_show;_19 70)?fbclid=IwAR2sK0eaBVP5lyS6Q2yhmZxuQ3X7V3o-ydKIv459C1Kaf0mbaYuD-C9Ru5U)

http://i.imgur.com/44bOvDB.jpg

FreyFollower
04-23-2019, 10:04 AM
Thanks, NMB, what a find!