PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening In Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

Mrs Frey
01-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Heck, you can even stay with me if you'd like. But if you dare to come to Memphis and not visit me, you will be in hot water!

That's very sweet of you, girl, thank you. Don't worry, message received and understood! :wink: :hug:

Mrs Frey
01-21-2011, 07:20 AM
I drive a 1968 VW Beetle!! A once-off payment in March 2005, plus quite a bit of work on her since then, and she's doing great! Her name is Monica, and she's pink with wide-rimmed wheels: 13" in front and 14" at the back. I'm currently running in the new 1600 engine I had put in (replacing a 1300 engine on its way out), with an alternator instead of a generator.

I'm proud to say that many people stare at my car as I drive by... (is there a proud smilie available? :wink:)

Glennsallnighter
01-21-2011, 08:20 AM
GA - that's unacceptable! Don't buy from that company again.

Thing is Soda, it was a colleague and husband of a good friend who supplied it. Which made it awkward to complain about anything. To be fair to him I don't think he genuinely sold me a dud and is helping me now to copy everything onto my portable hard drive. But I think when I DO get the money to replace it, I'll just go to PC world or Harvey Norman. That way if there are any problems I can redress them immediately. It had been very well used over the 2 years anyway.

MF! I hope indeed you DO get to Graceland. It'd be a dream come true for you. I've seen pics of Monica as well, and she really is a very distinctive and cute car. My Dad drove beetles and they are in a class of their own. I hope you get many more years of happy and safe motoring from her.

Glennsallnighter
01-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Well done Eve. Its amazing how a bit of spring cleaning can really change a home! You don't notice the dirt build up but you DO notice when its cleaned up!

Brooke
01-23-2011, 02:46 PM
It's snowing like crazy here today, so we opted out of church this morning. I know, bad girl. :fingerwag:

Anyway, I used the free time to put away the last of the Christmas decorations. I usually leave my mantle decorated and Christmas pictures up until this time every year to extend the holiday a bit. Of course that meant doing a bit of vacuuming again. I just did the living room yesterday, but bits of greenery and stuff managed to find the floor. It's nice to get it all put away, finally.

Prettymaid
01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
It's snowing like crazy here today, so we opted out of church this morning. I know, bad girl. :fingerwag:

You should have just started one of those phone call chains and told everybody to stay home. Then you wouldn't have felt guilty! Lol! :wink:

Mrs Frey
01-24-2011, 06:50 AM
MF! I hope indeed you DO get to Graceland. It'd be a dream come true for you. I've seen pics of Monica as well, and she really is a very distinctive and cute car. My Dad drove beetles and they are in a class of their own. I hope you get many more years of happy and safe motoring from her.

Thank you, my dear, I hope so too. It will indeed be a dream come true.

I really do love my car, even though she's old. With all the work having been done on her, she's almost good as new! When I get a chance, I'm going to try and post a photo of her here, as well as a photo or two from my recent shows.

I must say, I'm going through something of a trough right now. After 7 weeks of performing, the sudden slowdown in pace has brought me down to earth with a thud, and I'm feeling a bit depressed. I know there will be other shows, but it was the time spent with friends that meant the most to me. I feel somewhat isolated now.:-(

Mrs Frey
01-24-2011, 07:23 AM
As promised, here is a photo of me with my car, taken in December 2009:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/MoniquewithBeetle1.jpg

Prettymaid
01-24-2011, 07:30 AM
What a great picture Mrs. F!

I can imagine how you must feel coming down off of the high of performing with your friends regularly. Most of us will never have that feeling, so savor it, and like you said - there will be other shows!

Mrs Frey
01-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Also as promised, here are photos of both me and my great friend, James, performing in his Elvis Presley tribute show on 2 December 2010:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/162616_1493883148873_1287883301_31102290_4733937_n .jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/163104_1493900789314_1287883301_31102345_1444027_n .jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/63397_1493885468931_1287883301_31102298_3585445_n. jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/154318_1493901149323_1287883301_31102346_7362286_n .jpg

And here we are enjoying the Elvis Festival Africa, which was held during April and May 2010:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/MoniqueJames.jpg

Mrs Frey
01-24-2011, 07:37 AM
What a great picture Mrs. F!

I can imagine how you must feel coming down off of the high of performing with your friends regularly. Most of us will never have that feeling, so savor it, and like you said - there will be other shows!

Thank you for the compliment about the photo, PM, as well as your thoughts. I will try to be more positive - it's just a little tough right now.

Prettymaid
01-24-2011, 07:58 AM
You are living my dream! If I could do anything it would be to sing on stage. Although I love to sing, I don't have the talent it takes. It was great when I discovered karaoke because for those few minutes on stage I could be a rock star! Lol!

MikeA
01-24-2011, 08:00 AM
It's uh PANK BUG! :shy: Oh my the memories those creatures have generated! I had a 1966 1100cc bug. First car I ever owned! Drove it for 3 years and then totaled it pulling through a 4-lane intersection when a car tee-boned me. It was my fault. Decorative desert plants in the median somewhat obscured my view of oncoming traffic and I didn't see the one that hit me until it was too late. Irony was that I was crossing the intersection to call in the police to work an accident that was blocking the turn lane in the direction I needed to go!

Saddened me. I was in Dallas, Texas at the time and had no relatives down there to borrow a car from and no money to buy another.

But I'll always have a warm spot for that first one!

Mrs Frey
01-24-2011, 08:16 AM
You are living my dream! If I could do anything it would be to sing on stage. Although I love to sing, I don't have the talent it takes. It was great when I discovered karaoke because for those few minutes on stage I could be a rock star! Lol!

Girl, if you can make it to one of my gigs in the future (you know, when I'm famous and all and I visit your part of the world, ha ha :wink:), I'll pull you up on stage with me and you can sing to your heart's content! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Mrs Frey
01-24-2011, 08:19 AM
It's uh PANK BUG! :shy: Oh my the memories those creatures have generated! I had a 1966 1100cc bug. First car I ever owned! Drove it for 3 years and then totaled it pulling through a 4-lane intersection when a car tee-boned me. It was my fault. Decorative desert plants in the median somewhat obscured my view of oncoming traffic and I didn't see the one that hit me until it was too late. Irony was that I was crossing the intersection to call in the police to work an accident that was blocking the turn lane in the direction I needed to go!

Saddened me. I was in Dallas, Texas at the time and had no relatives down there to borrow a car from and no money to buy another.

But I'll always have a warm spot for that first one!

I'm glad my car brought back some memories for you, Mike, albeit sad ones! I'm sorry about what happened to your first Beetle - that must have been very disappointing for you! My "pank bug" (:lol:) is my first and only car to date, and I know how I'd feel if anything happened to her.

Koala
01-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Great photos, Mrs Frey!:thumbsup:

Brooke
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Love your photos Mrs F! Especially the pank bug! So cute! I've had so many different cars, I've never been attached to one in particular. Always ready for the new one!

I'm sure you'll be performing again in no time. Enjoy your rest! Thanks for sharing all the pics! They're great!

Prettymaid
01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Girl, if you can make it to one of my gigs in the future (you know, when I'm famous and all and I visit your part of the world, ha ha :wink:), I'll pull you up on stage with me and you can sing to your heart's content! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Maybe you should hear me first. :blush: Lol!

No really, I can carry a tune but I just don't have what it takes to be a rock star! I'll be your backup! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
You look fabulous, Monique, and so does your car! I can understand you feeling a bit deflated now but better times are undoubtedly of you.

Mrs Frey
01-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Koala, I'm glad you like the photos!

Brooke, thanks for the kind words, glad you like the photos, and it's a great pleasure to share them with you! Yes, if I like something, I have a tendency to get attached to it. Rather like I am with people.

PM, when you come to my gig, I'll pull you up on stage as my back-up singer! How's that? :wink:

Eve, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like my "pank bug" (:lol:)!

Soda, thank you so much for your compliments, my dear. I sure hope the better times arrive soon, as it's all a bit depressing right now. :sad: I must say, my Border friends are helping a lot to cheer me up. :grouphug:

Molly
01-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Monique, it's so nice to see you here again! Missed you!

My sister had a boyfriend back in the day that drove a baby blue beetle. How cool would that look sitting next to that "pank" one!

Jess, hope your aunt if feeling better.

Nancy, Graceland is on my bucket list, too. You may open your door one day and find a bunch of us on your doorstep.

I have some great news! At least it's news we've been hoping for around our house. Peter got a job today!! He's been hired as a fund analyst for US Bank in Milwaukee. It's one of the jobs he interviewed for that he really, really wanted. He's very excited.

We're celebrating tonight with ice cream from Dairy Queen (even tho it's freezing cold outside!)

EagleLady
01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Ahhhh Congrats to Peter Molly!

Prettymaid
01-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Yay Peter! (And Dairy Queen ice cream!)

I just had terryaki chicken for dinner and could use some ice cream!

MikeA
01-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Good on Ya Molly! Good things DO happen to GOOD PEOPLE!:cheers:

sodascouts
01-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Nancy, Graceland is on my bucket list, too. You may open your door one day and find a bunch of us on your doorstep.

I have a fold out bed, a couch, a spare bathroom. - and anyone who comes leaves with their choice of live show bootlegs. What more enticement do you need? ;)

I have some great news! At least it's news we've been hoping for around our house. Peter got a job today!! He's been hired as a fund analyst for US Bank in Milwaukee. It's one of the jobs he interviewed for that he really, really wanted. He's very excited.

We're celebrating tonight with ice cream from Dairy Queen (even tho it's freezing cold outside!)

Terrific! And I'm so glad it's one he really wanted and wasn't forced to accept due to circumstances. Best of luck to him!

Koala
01-26-2011, 02:18 AM
Molly, great to hear the good news, congrats to Peter!

Annabel
01-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Always helps to have a job you want and like. Good luck to him. :thumbsup:

Mrs Frey
01-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Monique, it's so nice to see you here again! Missed you!

My sister had a boyfriend back in the day that drove a baby blue beetle. How cool would that look sitting next to that "pank" one!

Thank you, Molly, I'm glad to be back, and I missed all of you, too! :hug: I would love to have seen that baby blue Beetle!

Molly, we need to start talking... :wink:

I'm really happy for Peter and you! :yay: That's wonderful news. I hope all will go well for him from now on.

Mrs Frey
01-26-2011, 07:41 AM
I have a fold out bed, a couch, a spare bathroom. - and anyone who comes leaves with their choice of live show bootlegs. What more enticement do you need? ;)

Not much more, I can assure you, Nancy! :wink: :grin:

Prettymaid
01-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Wow Soda, you have two bathrooms now? Sounds like quite a step up from West Lafayette! I'll definitely be visiting someday, but you have to clean the bathroom first!;) Lol!

TimothyBFan
01-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Congrats to Peter, Molly!!! How exciting! Sounds like it's just what he wanted. Good luck with it all!!

MikeA
01-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Have been having "an issue" with Blue Heron visitations to our pond. I put a heater in our pond this year to keep an opening in the ice (give a place for the "gasses" to escape else, the fish die).

Unfortunately, that opening also gives access to a Blue Heron for a much needed snack! I spent the day Monday trying to scare him off. They really are "jittery". But no matter how many times I screamed at him, he'd be back at the fish within 15 minutes. In fact, he got to where he flew no further than my neighbor's house where he would watch my back door for a few minutes and then fly back to the pond again.

Now, I'm not going to allow a predator of any nature to make a feast on my fish! Blue Herons are a protected species around here so I can't go out and kill him! But that doesn't mean I can't scare the hell out of him.

Yesterday, I did just that. I have a pump-up BB gun...a single shot that you have to pump up like 12 times to get full power. I pumped it only 5 times and hit him in the meaty part of his body as he was gobbling a fish! Didn't hurt him but scared the "you know what" out of him. He didn't come back and I hope he and all his brothers and sisters (and moms and dads and cousins!) stay away from my pond!

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=902

Brooke
01-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Maybe you taught him a lesson Mike! lol We have them around here and they can be quite a nuisance.

Molly, what exciting news! Good luck to Peter and his new job!

I guess I forgot to report that our son's fiancee got the job that she observed for and it started immediately. She's in her second week of full time, but it goes to part time next week. We are all excited for her and she really likes it.

Our son is helping his Dad with a remodeling project, so he's busy and making some money too. Things are going well. (breathing sigh of relief)

MikeA
01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Persistent Devils those Blue Herons! He was back again this morning! I'm trying one more thing before I resort to illegal measures. I've stretched some bird netting over the edge of the pond. I'm hoping that this will be something "strange" enough to frustrate him. I know that dogs and cats do not like to walk on netting that is even just laying on the ground. This is suspended a little so I hope it gets the bird's attention!

If it looks to be a detriment, I'll go get a larger piece and stretch it over the whole pond. But I couldn't do that by myself this morning. The piece I have is just 7' wide stretched and I couldn't stretch it by myself. Just sort of laying with some rocks on top of it to more or less keep it in place.

We'll see.

Here's a link to 13 photos I took of just ONE of his expeditions!

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2011_0125/2011_0125.html

Glennsallnighter
01-26-2011, 01:33 PM
I hope you DON'T have to resort to 'illegal measures' Mike!

Molly, I'm so glad Peter got a job. And one that he wanted to do as well. They are so thin on the ground these days. I wish him luck with it. And Brooke too! I'm so thrilled for your Son's fiancee.

MF! Stunning pictures. I can see what a wonderful time you had and (like others we know) you look like you were really enjoying yourself performing. I'm sure another spate of gigs will come up for you both, you are so talented! Love the pic of your Bug as well.
I guess the 'deflated' feeling you have at the moment is PEW. Though in your case ite 'Post Elvis Withdrawal'. Never mind, enjoy your time off and catching up with your friends. You'll be BBF again soon enough.

I'm at a 'parent teacher' meeting at the moment. In nearly an hour and a half, 2 parents out of the 35 students I teach (Correction, are on my teaching record) have come to se me. And then they wonder why their kids aren't motivated!

Molly
01-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Good on Ya Molly! Good things DO happen to GOOD PEOPLE!:cheers:

Awwww...thanks!

Thanks all for the good wishes. It's a big WHEW!, that's for sure. He's already planning on getting an apartment, a new car, re-new his gym membership, some new clothes. I hope his financial background has taught him how to STRRREEETTTCCCHHHH his checks. :eyebrow: Wait til he sees all the deductions that will be coming off his checks for things he's never had to worry about before, like insurance.

Mike, I have a fear of birds. That heron is beautiful, but if it was hanging around my yard, I wouldn't be leaving the house much. I may get nightmares just thinking about it hanging around YOUR house!

Brooke, congrats to your son's GF. A new job is a big deal these days.

2 parents out of 35 students, GA? OMG! That's ridiculous. And I would be willing to bet the parents that do come to see you have children who are good students. The parents you really need to see probably don't take the time. Sad.

sodascouts
01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Wow Soda, you have two bathrooms now? Sounds like quite a step up from West Lafayette! I'll definitely be visiting someday, but you have to clean the bathroom first!;) Lol!

yes - two bathrooms! I'm living high on the hog now! ;)

I guess I forgot to report that our son's fiancee got the job that she observed for and it started immediately. She's in her second week of full time, but it goes to part time next week. We are all excited for her and she really likes it.

Our son is helping his Dad with a remodeling project, so he's busy and making some money too. Things are going well. (breathing sigh of relief)

Good to hear!

Peekaboo
01-27-2011, 01:46 AM
MF, I gotta say first of all that I'm LOVIN' the "Pank Bug!" And those pics of you performing are wonderful. Looks like it was a fabulous show. I'm sorry you're feeling a bit down after that stretch of performances but you know that if you ever need a pick-me-up this is the place to go for just that. There's plenty of pics and videos of our guys and also some good friends here to make ya smile.

Molly, congrats to Peter on landing the new job. :yay:

Brooke, so glad you're son's fiance got the job and that she's enjoying it. Sounds like things are starting to look up for your kids on the job front. Good for them..and for you.

Mike, I couldn't help but have a funny picture in my head of you yelling and screaming as you try to scare away that bird. I hope you find something that works to keep 'em away.

Eve, I've never really been one for a fancy latte or starbucks coffee but I will brew myself a regular cup of coffee every now and then. Actually what you have right there looks pretty good and kinda makes me want a cup of Joe right now. Hmm, a cup of Joe...that does sounds good. ;-)

Thank you all for the well wishes for my Aunt. She finally got to go home on Monday after nearly a week in the hospital. She's doing much better now. I visited her when she was still in the hospital and i'm sad to say that this is the worst I've ever seen her. It's just so sad to see how this disease has brought her down in just a few years. I've seen her have seizures before but now they have progressed to make her seem like a different person. After she has a seizure it's almost like she's incredibly drunk. Her speech is slurred and she sees things that aren't even there. Fortunately that part of it doesn't last too long and she's back to her normal self. She does her best to keep her spirits up but the more this disease progresses I can see that it gets harder and harder for her to stay positive. It's never easy to deal with any illness but hopefully at some point they're be something positive from this for my aunt.

I was out of town last week and returned to work on Saturday and as the night went on at work I started to feel worse and worse. I had to leave work early on Sunday because I felt so bad. I called in sick on Monday and went to the doctor. My doc said I have a really bad sinus infection and an upper respiratory infection. Oh man, this thing just completely knocked me out for the count. I've only gotten out of bed twice since leaving work Sunday night and that was only to go see the doctor and to attend a mandatory meeting for work yesterday. I was completely useless at that meeting and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep a few times. I probably would've been excused from the meeting on account of how sick I was but I didn't want to take a chance of getting written up for missing something mandatory. I'm feeling much better today and have actually gotten out of bed. I haven't accomplished much today but getting out of bed is enough for now since I've mostly been sleeping for the past 48 hours. I should probably take another day off work tomorrow to rest up a little more but I'm going to go back to work. I can't really afford to miss too many days. The bills have gotta get paid somehow.

Mrs Frey
01-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Mike, your adventures with the Blue Heron sound very frustrating! I hope your idea with the netting helps to deter him (and his parents, siblings and cousins... :lol:). Despite him being a pain, he's very beautiful, though.

GA, thank you for the compliments, dear - I appreciate your belief in me. I'm not really suffering from PEW (Post Elvis Withdrawal), because I still listen to the man on a daily basis, ha ha, but it's more a case of PGW and PFW - Post Gigs Withdrawal and Post Friends Withdrawal :sad:. When you get to see your best friend, as well as all your band friends, four days a week for seven weeks, and then suddenly "real life" takes over, it can be a real downer. Ah well, maybe there are some great times ahead of me. I just have to believe that. I'm sorry your parents-teachers meeting was so disappointing. Perhaps you can initiate an action to send letters to those who didn't pitch, requesting their attendance in the future. I don't know if that will work, but it's just an idea.

Brooke, I'm very happy for your son and his fianceé regarding their job prospects. I hope they go from strength to strength!!

Eve, I'm sorry your coffee machine turned out to be such a disappointment. I'm glad you managed to get something good out of it. I like what's on your computer! :wink:

Molly, good luck to Peter on str-e-e-etching his cheques! It won't be easy for him at first, but once the necessity of it kicks in, he'll manage!

Peekaboo, thank you for your compliments about my photos and your kind words. Yes, visiting the Border does help to pick me up a bit. It's just that life at the office is very different from being on stage.:thumbsdown: I shouldn't complain, I have a job (something many people don't have), and I'm generally happy here (good management, good colleagues, flexible hours), but BEING ON STAGE... and with the best Elvis tribute artist in the country, who is my best friend to boot... the office just can't compete!:brickwall: Anyway, enough about my woes. I'm glad your Aunt is doing better, but am very sorry to read about how she has deteriorated. So sad. I too hope something positive can be taken from this. I'm also sorry that you have been so ill. UPI's are AWFUL - I've had enough of those to know. They've kept me off the stage for long enough in the past. I decided to take action against these things, since I got ill with the same thing about four times last year, and it was really affecting my chances at getting gigs, so I fought with management here about the non-existent air-conditioning, and started buying vitamins and more vitamins! It's hellishly expensive, but it's doing the job, I'm happy to report! Touch wood, I'll remain healthy for a long time to come! Look after yourself, girl, lots of liquids, lots of healthy food, lots of vitamins, lots of rest. :hug:

Right now, it's nearly the end of my lunch hour, and I'm listening to Glenn's :heart: interview on Robert Wuhl's show, which I'm enjoying, but I must admit, I'm splitting my attention, so I'm not concentrating on the interview as I should, which means that I'll just have to listen to the interview again! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Prettymaid
01-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Jess, quit being sick! :fingerwag:

Let me use another tactic...

Get well soon. :hug:

MikeA
01-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Hey Jess, hang in there sweetie! I'm sure conditions where you work are not the most conducive to URI well-being! But look at the positive....when those clients of yours start getting obnoxious and calling you names and accusing you of cheating....threaten to cough on them and giving them the whooping-never-get-overs!

Oh and the bird...back again several times yesterday after the net was laid down but I never saw him actually IN the water. Maybe it is working.

But Jess, you mentioned me flapping and screaming. Those birds are very observant of any motion. And YES I did run at him while flapping my arms! People my age shouldn't do that. It isn't dignified.

TimothyBFan
01-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Jess--You've had a rough winter!! Get healthy and stay that way will ya?

I've not had much Border time this week which is a tragedy in as of itself!! Been checking in in the morning and that's about it. Lots going on.

First-the family had a meeting with all those tending to my MIL in the home and she has decided to stay there after the home visit didn't go so well last week. It's just so sad to think an 88 year old woman who had never been in a hospital except for the 4 times she had children, can just get up one day, and after a stroke, find herself never able to go back to her home. She is mentally capable of making her own decisions, the stroke did no damage there. But she has been using a walker for several years because of a bad leg and apparently the stroke caused her to lose all use of that same leg and after much therapy and trying to get it going again, she will be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life and pretty much immobile. She wants us to start getting things ready to sell the house and distribute the things she wants the members of the family to have. We've been working with realtors all week. Have made plans with the whole family (and many of you know just how BIG and spread out they are) for everyone who can, come in next weekend to help pack up the house and get things ready or distributed. A very sad situation but MIL honestly looked better last night than she has for several weeks now and seemed to be in better spirits. I think it's kind of a relief to her to know that she has made the decision and that we are all going to get everything taken care of for her.

Many of you remember our friend Brandon who at the age of 28, a year and a half ago, after never smoking a day in his life, was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. As you might remember, after the first aggressive round of chemo, he went into remission for about a year. Unfortunately, his last scan a couple of weeks ago showed progression again and that it had spread to the bone now also. They will be trying a new treatment at Vanderbilt University in the coming weeks and hope that they can get it whipped once again. He feels pretty good but very down as you can expect. His biggest supporter, his wife, is doing ongoing research and contacting doctors across the country to get a game plan to whip this sh*t!! She is still the most amazing person I have ever known and refuses to let him or herself just lay down and let it happen. She's also determined to keep her children's (age 7 & 3) lives as normal as possible through it all. Any of you that are friends with me on FB, will see a link for TeamHORA group that you can like just to show them some support.

Glennsallnighter
01-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Awwww Willie! Trying times indeed on both fronts. At least having a large family to call on will spread the burden of clearing your M-I-L's place and it won't all fall to one or 2 of you. Although its a wrench for the family, it sounds like she is happier in herself for making the decision and hopefully the sale of the house will net enough for her to have a great quality of life while getting the care and support that she now needs. I'm sure too that she will not be short of visitors and well wishers!

MF! A great idea to write to the parents and request their presence, but firstly, they are under no obligation to come. They would view such a letter as hassle at least, if not intimidation. Secondly, the timimg of them is dreadful. 4:15pm to 6:45pm. This was set by the Department of Education over here to suit working parents, that they wouldn't have to take time off to attend. BUT where I work, its mainly young families and coming out at teatime when its cold and dark (and you've no car and several other children in many cases) doesn't work. Hell, its hard enough to get even the kids THEMSELVES into school! Many parents work shift too! We used have better attendance when we could close the school for a half day and parents came up in the early afternoon instead. And yes Molly! Its the parents of the good kids who DO come! Sounds like its the same the world over!!

MF! I hope you get more gigs soon. I can only imagine the buzz you get out of performing!

Peek! Hope you are feeling better and make it back to work. Are you not in your job long enough by now to get sick pay? I'm delighted your aunt is improving. Its awful to see our parents generation starting to fail. I'll keep her in my prayers. You can be sure of that,

as Willie will I keep Brandon in my prayers too. I remember you posting about his illness before. His wife sounds like a wonderful champion for him. I hope all goes well with him and that this new treatment is very successful.

Koala
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Willie, wish you, your MIL and the whole family the best, hope everything runs as well as you all wish it!

Yes, I remeber Brandon too, I'm sorry to hear the news, hope the treatment helps!

MikeA
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Willie,

Gal, my utmost support goes out to you guys. What a basket-full of serious problems hitting all at once <sigh>

Molly
01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Willie, I feel for you with what you are going thru with your MIL. Very similar to what we are going thru. My 90 year old MIL is has been very independant and she's a stubborn old bird. Also very capable of making decisions on finances, etc.

She's still in the hospital as they are trying to get rid of a nasty staph infection (MRSA which is a tough one), and try to save the rest of her toes and/or foot. Unfortunately, she's starting to have issues with sores on her other foot, too. She'll do a stint in re-hab after she's discharged from acute care. Not sure what will come after that. She certainly thinks she's going back home tho I just don't know how it's going to work. It's going to be a battle of wills.

We're on step one of this journey, I think. I'm anticipating that it's not going to be without it's bumps and obstacles. I need patience for this, I can tell. (maybe a bottle of rum, as well)

Positive thoughts and prayers to your friend as he battles his cancer.

Brooke
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Willie, I'm so sorry to hear of all your problems. I wish the best outcome for everyone. I'll keep you and your family and friend in my thoughts and prayers.

Molly, same for you and your family.

sodascouts
01-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Jess, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I know how disturbing a seizure and its aftereffects can be to others. I'm sorry she has to endure that and you have to watch it. She continues to be in my prayers.

As for your own bouts of illness - wow! It's bad enough to get sick but to have it keeping hitting you week after week from more than one thing - how horrible for you! I don't know how you made it through that meeting. That takes dedication.

Willie, Your poor friend, having that cancer come back, and at such a young age! I will be checking out "Team HORA" on FB. And I feel for your mother-in-law. Even a woman as healthy as she has been has to finally face the inevitable effects of age, but I'm glad she seems to be handling it well. I've always thought that I'd like to know if I'm dying so I can get my affairs in order - and delete anything incriminating off the computer! Obviously, she's not dying, but she's still able to handle such things when she's aware. Being able to think straight after a stroke is a great thing.

Molly, I see yours also facing what all of us who are fortunate enough to live a long life will have to face. That doesn't make it any easier to see or deal with, though, and I feel for your family. I wish you all strength.

All you guys make my good old-fashioned "prayer list."

EaglesFanatic
01-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Molly- Congrats to Peter for getting the job!

GA- Only 2 out of 35 went to the conferences?! Well, kudos to you for being there. Most of the teachers at my school don't even show up at conferences lol.

Peek- Feel better soon!!!

Willie- My thoughts and prayers are with Brandon and his family.

Eve- Glad you are enjoying your day!

Hope all is well with everyone else :)

MikeA
01-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Ongoing saga of the Blue Heron: He was back again today. The netting wasn't nearly significant enough or large enough to keep him out. So, today, my wife bought a 50' roll of orange "men working" fencing. You know what I'm talking about. That mesh orange stuff that is 4' tall that they stake out around a light pole or manhole when they are working on it and want to keep people out.

We cut the fence into two 25' lengths and used zipties to put it together making it 8' wide and 25' long. We stretched this over the pond. It covers the entire surface from the front edge and side to side leaving about 4' between the edge in the middle of the pond and our waterfall. We've tried to stretch that netting across to take up the edges that were not covered by the orange stuff.

That should keep him out. If it doesn't, a shotgun will. I'll have to check the law on that before taking defensive action. If they are like deer, you can eliminate them if they are damaging property. But deer are not a protected species.....they are just targets when they are in hunting season. Probably can't do anything legally with the Blue Heron.

No matter. I'm pretty sure that the 8' wide orange fencing will discourage them enough that I won't have to worry about it any longer. Hope so. They really are "pretty" for a predator.

sodascouts
01-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Good luck getting rid of the Heron from Hell!

Mrs Frey
01-28-2011, 06:25 AM
But Jess, you mentioned me flapping and screaming. Those birds are very observant of any motion. And YES I did run at him while flapping my arms! People my age shouldn't do that. It isn't dignified.

:lol: You're funny, Mike!

Mrs Frey
01-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Willie and Molly, I'm so sorry to read about your mother-in-laws' illnesses and troubles. It's very sad. May the Lord give you all strength to cope in these difficult times.

Willie, I'm really sorry that Brandon's cancer has returned. He is so young! I really, really hope that treatment can be found to beat this thing, although knowing that he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, as well as the fact that it's now spread is very worrying. I also wish you and all who are close to Brandon the Lord's abundant strength. Brandon's wife sounds like an amazing person.

Eve, it sounds like you're a nature lover and enjoy all the beautiful things around you. Good for you! Life is so rushed nowadays that most people don't care to stop and admire the beauty that surrounds them.

EF, hope you are well too!

Mike, good luck from me too with the heron! Ha ha, I think he likes you! :wink: :lol:

Prettymaid
01-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Willie and Molly, thinking of you both as you deal with the declining health of loved ones. Almost all of us have to go through it someday, and I'm not looking forward to my turn.

TimothyBFan
01-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents on Mike's ongoing saga here.....

LEAVE THE BIRD ALONE!!!!!!!

He seems so persistant, I think he deserves to stay! Give him a break and share your territory! :hilarious:

MikeA
01-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents on Mike's ongoing saga here.....

LEAVE THE BIRD ALONE!!!!!!!

He seems so persistant, I think he deserves to stay! Give him a break and share your territory! :hilarious:

He can freakin' HAVE my TERRITORY but he ain't gettin' my FISH! :hilarious:

Here's a link to the album showing the covering we used. I just don't know what else we can do other than put even more "Agent Orange" on the pond!

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2011_0128/2011_0128.html

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=903

Brooke
01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Mike, your heron problem is too funny. I can't believe the lengths you are going to. The shotgun would have been my husbands first method of attack! Protected species or not. Really! But, we live in seclusion in the country and the neighbors wouldn't care if he fired a shotgun and would be applauding. It's normal around here! :lol:

MikeA
01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Mike, your heron problem is too funny. I can't believe the lengths you are going to. The shotgun would have been my husbands first method of attack! Protected species or not. Really! But, we live in seclusion in the country and the neighbors wouldn't care if he fired a shotgun and would be applauding. It's normal around here! :lol:

Believe me Brooke, it would have been my first option also were we not living where we do. There is a lady living about a half mile from us in our same neighborhood, but living across a neighborhood "lake" who got some children into a lot of trouble with the law because they were running and chasing some Canadian Geese. These kids were maybe 7 years old! Have you experienced Canadian Geese? They don't scare worth a damn! They will turn around and attack you if they feel threatened! Kind of like being attacked by a large DUCK <LOL>

sodascouts
01-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Mike, your heron problem

OK, I was reading quickly, and at first I thought this said "heroin problem"! I was about to scroll back and see what I missed!!!

tequila girl
01-29-2011, 04:30 AM
OK, I was reading quickly, and at first I thought this said "heroin problem"! I was about to scroll back and see what I missed!!!
I have to admit that's what I saw too :woah: I knew we were talking about a HERON here but in conjunction with Problem it just kinda morphed into HEROIN :hilarious:

MikeA
01-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Lord Luv a Duck Ladies!

I've got enough problems without adding heroin to menu!

Molly
01-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Mike, I'll bet if you give heroin to your heron, it will leave your fish alone. :hmm:;-)

Molly
01-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Our dog was chased by a Canadian goose, once. I was of no assistance to the dog as I was already running for my life towards the house.

Never been chased by a duck, tho the boys in this house sometimes "step on them" ;-) (think Caddyshack).

My uncle had a tom turkey that would chase us from the car to the house every time we visited. Better than a watch dog!

EaglesFanatic
01-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Well Mike, I hope you can get rid of your heron problem. As for your heroin problem, I'd look into a rehab center before it gets out of hand ;)

I just found out that one of my best friends is moving to London. He's like a brother to me, and I've known him since elementary school. I don't understand why he has to move... Oh well :shrug:

sodascouts
01-29-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry your friend is moving, EF. Hopefully you can still keep in touch.

Prettymaid
01-29-2011, 07:25 PM
This thread is becoming like that old game 'Telephone', where a group of people would form a line and the first person would whisper a statement to the next person and they would repeat what they heard into the next person's ear until it got to the end. Then the last person would say what they heard out loud. In most cases it wasn't even close! I love how Mike's heron problem has become a heroin problem! Lol!

EF, I'm sorry your friend is moving so far away. Sounds like a good reason to visit London some day. :wink:

tequila girl
01-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I was wondering what this game"Telephone" was pm.....we call it "Chinese Whispers" here!:)

Brooke
01-29-2011, 10:57 PM
OMG, 3 or 4 pages in just a day on Mike's heron problem!

I've been reading David Crosby's autobiography and actually had to go back and check to see if I wrote heroin or heron! (Poor thing (DC) actually did have a heroin problem (along with other stuff) and survived it. Thankfully.)

Sorry Mike! So, how is that poor bird doing today? Or is it Poor Mike? :hilarious:

MikeA
01-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I'd truly hate to try to mainline heron. Smoking it would be about as bad. Heron is a bad bad habit and one that should be avoided. I am trying desperately to kick the habit right how. I'm in withdrawal now and have been for two days but I'm having flashbacks and halucinating about huge winged monsters in a battle to the death with airplane type creatures with tails and things that look like wings. I may have to check myself into rehab....may not have to do it my self if I get caught shooting it. They'll lock me up for sure!

But for now, I think I have it under control though I am using "Agent Orange" as a preventative measure!

Brooke
01-29-2011, 11:00 PM
:hilarious:

sodascouts
01-30-2011, 01:01 AM
I'd truly hate to try to mainline heron. Smoking it would be about as bad. Heron is a bad bad habit and one that should be avoided. I am trying desperately to kick the habit right how. I'm in withdrawal now and have been for two days but I'm having flashbacks and halucinating about huge winged monsters in a battle to the death with airplane type creatures with tails and things that look like wings. I may have to check myself into rehab....may not have to do it my self if I get caught shooting it. They'll lock me up for sure!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

tequila girl
01-30-2011, 06:35 AM
:hilarious: Hahahaha Mike.......you just made me almost choke on my morning coffee! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

MikeA
01-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Well, if you read through the crap there in that, the serious part was that I've been Heron Free for over two days in a row now! That orange fencing has done the trick (Agent Orange). I haven't even seen him in the yard. I thought animals were color blind! At least to orange. That's why hunters use orange vests and coats when deer hunting. Guess it doesn't apply to Herons!

Prettymaid
01-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Hey Mike, sounds like you kicked the habit! :thumbsup:

MikeA
01-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Hey Mike, sounds like you kicked the habit! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's another feather in my hat! Finally, I think we can get off this bird-brained topic!

Eve
01-30-2011, 09:06 PM
It is 5PM and it is still light out!!!

Glennsallnighter
01-31-2011, 07:22 AM
Cool! I love when the days begin to lengthen. Over here on a bright day we are getting till nearly 6pm. Roll on the mornings!!

Mrs Frey
02-01-2011, 07:01 AM

But for now, I think I have it under control though I am using "Agent Orange" as a preventative measure!

:applause: :rofl:Mike, you are a very, very clever man! The double meanings in the first four sentences are truly genius!

Anyway, I'm glad for your sake that the heron is keeping its distance!

Mrs Frey
02-01-2011, 07:02 AM
I just found out that one of my best friends is moving to London. He's like a brother to me, and I've known him since elementary school. I don't understand why he has to move... Oh well :shrug:

I'm sorry about your friend moving, EF. I know how you feel, believe me. Hopefully, your friendship will survive the move.

MikeA
02-01-2011, 08:21 AM
:applause: :rofl:Mike, you are a very, very clever man! The double meanings in the first four sentences are truly genius!

Anyway, I'm glad for your sake that the heron is keeping its distance!

:wink: (that's a wink)

EaglesFanatic
02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm sorry about your friend moving, EF. I know how you feel, believe me. Hopefully, your friendship will survive the move.

Thanks MF, I hope so too! :nod:

Brooke
02-01-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear your friend is moving, too, EF. But with today's internet you should be able to keep in touch pretty easily. I know it won't be the same, but I'm sure everything will work out.

Prettymaid
02-01-2011, 10:15 PM
The bank closed early today because of the weather and I've enjoyed my afternoon off. After spending some time here I made myself a cup of tea with honey, had dinner, took a hot bath and now I'm watching the Illinois - Penn State game.

This weekend Hubby and I decided to take a wall down! Well, a half wall anyway. We opened up the area between the kitchen/dining room. The dining room is already open to the living room so now I have the open floor plan that I've always wanted. The project isn't finished though. Only the demo.

Mrs Frey
02-02-2011, 06:44 AM
PM, I'm glad to read you're having some "me" time. Enjoy. All the best for your dining room/kitchen renovations.

Well, I've suddenly got busy again. I got an offer to do a show on 19 February, with a hastily put-together band. The drummer who worked with me in the Elvis show asked me to join them on rhythm guitar and vocals. I haven't played much guitar lately, so I'm going to enjoy the experience. We had our first practice last night, and the guys are all very pleasant and talented. We have a lot of work to do - we're practising again tomorrow night.

I also made a pact with a close friend of mine to get fit. We started working out on Monday and are going to do the same tonight. She's currently on a diet, but she wasn't exercising, as she doesn't like to exercise alone. I suggested she work out with me, and then we agreed on a starting time. I neglected my fitness while I was so busy with the Elvis show, although I didn't eat as much as I usually did (mostly due to pumping adrenalin).

Anyway, my middle abdominals were sore yesterday, but today my lower abdominals are EXCRUCIATING! I guess we did something right, ha ha. It's going to get even more sore before it gets better. I have slight aches elsewhere too, but the abs are the worst.

Prettymaid
02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Good for you Mrs. F! No pain no gain, right? ;) I am also trying to stay fit and eat right - well, eat smaller portions anyway. :grin:

Troubadour
02-02-2011, 10:08 AM
MF - congrats on getting the gig! Sounds like fun. Kudos to you and Cathy for trying to get healthier. I'm doing the same - trying to exercise as much as I can. I've joined the Ramblers, so I'm really trying to increase my walking. I walked the five miles home three times last week, and I'm going to gradually increase it with the goal of doing the Clarendon walk this summer. (This is the walk that I wanted to do a couple of years ago but didn't - I hadn't done the right training and I believe a certain Oklahoma trip may have thwarted my plans!) Anyway, I'm doing it right this time and building up my endurance daily. I've got a pedometer so I'm all set! I'm also thinking of volunteering at our local kennels to walk the dogs - not only will it be an opportunity to spend some time with the animals, but it will definitely keep me fit.

On the subject of animals... I am seriously thinking about getting a cat. I can't really have a dog right now because I live in a flat and wouldn't be here enough, but I've done lots of reading and I think having a cat here would work perfectly. The time feels right. I'm going to contact the Cats Protection League in our area to talk about rehoming a cat... I will keep you updated. It's not set in stone, but I am really quite excited about this and hoping it works out. It's something I've been thinking about for a long time.

Prettymaid
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I think getting a cat is a great idea Lou! Getting a dog is a much bigger step because it's a much bigger responsibility. After you've had your cat for awhile you might consider getting another so that they can keep each other company. Two are no more trouble than one.;)

Brooke
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM
A cat would be nice for you Troub. Lots of company and they are so self sufficient.

I've had Beyonce for 5 years or so and she's my only cat. Our son's girlfriend has brought her cat (Fishsticks) to live with us, but it's not going well. We confined him to her room and have taken Beyonce up to meet him, but they just hiss and growl at each other. We've done this twice with no luck. Beyonce then just turns and runs back downstairs and Fishsticks (crazy name!) continues to growl and look mean. Any ideas on how to help them make friends?

Prettymaid
02-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Brooke, my advice is to let them both just work it out on their own. Open the doors, let them sniff and growl and carry on and I'll bet in 2-3 day's time they will tolerate each other.

Wildthyme
02-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Congrats on deciding to get a kitty Lou... While I love my spoiled rotten dog with all my heart I am mainly a cat person. I am glad you are looking to adopt a shelter cat. You might even consider a slightly older cat rather than a youngster because they tend to be more mature and well-behaved and they have a much harder time finding new homes. Too bad you aren't closer because I would have to talk you into taking the latest stray that has found its way into my life. My two outside cats adopted a half-grown grey puff-ball of a cat a couple of months ago. I hoped for a while he would go home but its become obvious he has none and was pretty hungry so what could I do? I have added him to the pack. Unlike the other three abandoned neighborhood cats I have taken in the last few years this one is not fixed so he is off to the vet for the old clip-clip this month when many of the local vets participate in a $30 spay/neuter campaign. I can not believe I have six cats now... guess I am well on my way to being that crazy old cat lady I knew I would eventually turn into :rofl:

Koala
02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Troub, I think a cat sounds like a good idea.
MF, glad too hear you got an offer to do a new show.

I try to make every day sport,at least 2 hours, it usually succeeds, but I see no success!:?

sodascouts
02-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I keep meaning to get in shape but so far none of my good intentions have paved their way to the apartment complex's exercise room. I have such poor self-discipline. :(

Troub, a cat would be fun! I love my precious Milton. I wouldn't get another cat though because of the added expense. You have to buy twice as much of everything, and pay twice as much for kenneling and the vet. It's a deterrent for me, at least.

Cami - wow - you have such a soft heart but be careful - things might be getting a bit out of control!

Mrs F- I'm so glad to hear you've got more gigs coming up. I know that's what you live for!

Glennsallnighter
02-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Oooh Soda! Sounds like a posh apartment complex! But you know you've had a big move, and a new job to settle into. It all takes time. I'm sure you'll get that exercise done eventually. I too am trying to eat healthier and get a bit fitter too. I have a half stone of bellyfat that I want to get shut of!!

MF! Delighted to hear you'll be performing again. Enjoy getting back to the guitar again. I know you love playing it!

Lou! Sounds like a great idea to get that kitty! Good luck with it if you decide to go ahead with it!

Brooke, I have NO IDEA how to introduce cats, but I guess Beyonce and Fishsticks will just have to make it some way!

Eve
02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I too am trying to eat healthier and get a bit fitter too. I have a half stone of bellyfat that I want to get shut of!!

I am amazed at how much weight I have taken off by just cutting down on fat content in foods. Since October about 16 pounds and back into a size 10 jean. I only do the treadmill on my days off which is about three days a week and burn about 300 calories in a 35 minute session. I look at all the fatties at work chowing down donuts and saying they want to lose weight. :headscratch:

Peekaboo
02-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Bravo to all of you getting healthy and exercising. Keep up the good work. Within the next few weeks I'll be joining a gym and working out with a friend from work. I'm really excited about it but I know that that first week is gonna be hell because I'll be so sore. But I'm excited nonetheless.

Lou, like i already told you, I think getting a cat is a great idea. I know you'll give that kitty the love and comfort of a good home that it deserves.

MF, I'm glad that you've got another gig coming up. The joy you have for performing is so amazing. Makes me smile knowing how happy that makes you.

I'm stuck at home because of this snow storm. I could've been stuck at work but I decided to not volunteer. It could be the end of the world and the casino is still gonna be open. Every other business closed because of the snow storm but not the casino. They were putting employees up in the hotel room for those that volunteered or got stuck there. My days off work are tues-thurs and I didn't want to stay in a hotel room when my own bed is just 5 miles away. I'm sure it would've looked better for me to stay and work but they already had plenty of people volunteer that was on the schedule to work. I go back and forth about feeling bad not volunteering then I'm glad I'm not stuck at work having to go down to the floor whenever they need me to deal.

I wanted to share this with y'all. I got some really nice birthday gifts but this was my favorite gift. It's from my niece Natalie. Simple and oh so sweet!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/2011-01-19211956.jpg

I guess I should have put this in my birthday thread.

Brooke
02-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Peek, what a sweet card. And I don't blame you for not working. Sometimes it's nice to just do what you want.

Pm, I took your advice today since I was snowed in at home. We let the cats be together and they just stared at each other for a while. Fishy would growl a bit but Beyonce would just turn her head and look the other way. I think they will be fine in a day or so. Thanks for the encouragement to do that. We were a bit perplexed.

The county finally made it down our road this evening about 5:30 and my hubby's farmer friend came down to blade out our long drive so it looks like my snow day is over. Back to work tomorrow! Oh goodie!

EaglesFanatic
02-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Peek, that card is so cute!

Troubadour
02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I've already told you this, Jess, but that card is frickin' adorable! Nat is such a sweetie. We had a lot of fun with her in the park on her birthday, didn't we? Even if one of the dads did ask which six year old was mine... LOL!

sodascouts
02-02-2011, 09:43 PM
That card is precious!

Don't feel bad about not volunteering for the casino. If they don't need you there, why should you suffer?

Koala
02-03-2011, 02:44 AM
Awww, Peek, this card is so sweet!

Mrs Frey
02-03-2011, 07:57 AM
You're not going to believe this, but just as I started catching up with this thread, "Hotel California" started playing on the radio. I kid you not. And they hardly ever play any other "decent" music.

Anyway, thank you for the encouragement regarding my gig and my fitness, ladies. I do appreciate it very much. I went running with my friend again last evening, but when it came down to the leg raises, I bailed after 1 set of 10 and another 2. I about died with the pain. I can't believe I've managed to neglect my stomach so much. It's not as though I'm fat, and I'm not totally unfit, but somewhere along the line my stomach just missed the fitness boat. Good grief. I was too pooped to do any weight training, but I'll do everything I should tomorrow evening. Tonight is another band practice, which I'm looking forward to.

Lou, all the best with finding a pet cat. If it feels right, go for it! I too love animals, but since I now live in a flat, it's not possible to keep one. It was difficult for me when I lost my dog, Lobo, back in September 2003, just 3 days before my birthday. He was 16 years and 9 months old, and a light in our lives.

To those of you trying to exercise and lose weight, keep going! Koala, don't give up, girl, your efforts will eventually bear fruit!

Jess, nevermind the work - relax! And your birthday card is beautiful!

Brooke, I'm glad your cats are not tearing each other apart, ha ha. Don't worry, they'll be fine.

Mrs Frey
02-03-2011, 07:59 AM
I look at all the fatties at work chowing down donuts and saying they want to lose weight. :headscratch:

:rofl:

Mrs Frey
02-03-2011, 08:01 AM
MF, I'm glad that you've got another gig coming up. The joy you have for performing is so amazing. Makes me smile knowing how happy that makes you.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Jess, that is so sweet. Thank you.

Prettymaid
02-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I look at all the fatties at work chowing down donuts and saying they want to lose weight. :headscratch:

I'm sure they DO want to lose weight! Lol! They just haven't got to the point where they're willing to do something about it. We've all been there. It's probably like trying to quit smoking, although I've never smoked.

Peek, your birthday note from Natalie is so sweet. She obviously loves you very much. Oh, and don't beat yourself up for not volunteering at work. You're a good employee and they can clearly see that.

Pm, I took your advice today since I was snowed in at home. We let the cats be together and they just stared at each other for a while. Fishy would growl a bit but Beyonce would just turn her head and look the other way. I think they will be fine in a day or so. Thanks for the encouragement to do that. We were a bit perplexed.

Glad to help, Brooke. They have a way of working it out on their own. It's funny, I have had cats that are cool with each other until they come back from being at the kennel in separate cages. As soon as they get home they growl and hiss at each other for a few hours. It must be that they smell different!

Today is my day off. Yesterday I was scheduled to work 9-6, but I got an early morning call that we would not be opening until noon. Then when I got there at noon I was told we were closing at 4! :partytime: Hubby is back to work today after having to take 2 snow days. (His commute is much longer than mine.) So I have the day all to myself! What to do? Read, watch a movie? Ahhh, decisions, decisions!

TimothyBFan
02-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Hope everyone survived the Blizzard of 2011! We were all off work and school yesterday so just puttered around the house and spent some valuable time with Keith Richards (his book anyways). It was fun. Haven't had a good ol' fashion snow day with me and hubby also being off since forever. I guess Dillon didn't have classes at IU Bloomington either for 2 days.

Lou--gotta tell you, I am SOOOOO excited about the possible new addition to your household. Cannot wait to see pictures when you get the new companion.

Brooke- glad you were able to take Cathy's advice and bring the 2 cats together. I know we have that every time we introduce a new animal into the commune here but after awhile we are all able to cohabitate. The funniest one was when Rufus was brought in. The cats pretty much ignored him, Pickles loved him but Rufus was afraid of cats. If he started into a room and saw a cat, he wouldn't go in or turn around and leave. He'd literally back out of the room, keeping an eye on the cat to make sure it didn't follow him.:laugh: He's learned to ignore them now.

Have most of hubby's family coming in from across the country this weekend. After MIL's home visit didn't go well a few weeks ago, we had a meeting with the nursing home and were told that if she went home, she'd need 24 hour care. She thought about it but has decided to stay in the nursing home instead. She wants us to clear out the house now and get it on the market. She has everything in writing of what goes to who, etc and so we decided a couple weeks ago that this weekend we'd get everything distributed and get as much packed up as we can. As we made phone calls to all the grandkids, they all decided they wanted to be here to help also. They all start arriving tomorrow. It will be nice to have everyone home but the circumstances are not pleasant ones but, let's face it, they could be worse. It will be nice to have Dillon home this weekend. Just hope they have all this snow taken care of so everyone has safe trips in and back home Sunday and Monday.

Prettymaid
02-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Hope it goes well Willie. At least she has made a list. That should help alot.

Eve
02-03-2011, 12:02 PM

What I really want to say to them is; "Do you really think you should eat that?" But I guess some would consider it unkind. :dizzy:

I have a friend I take clothing shopping with me and who is also always invited to the CABI clothing parties to help pick out clothes for people. I put on an outfit one time when we were on a cruise at one of the ports. I came out of the dressing room and she said; "Take it off." I'm like, "but, but it's cute!" She said, "Take it off NOW."

I especially loved the "You have the boobs for that but not the stomach, unless you wear some Spanx." So I got the Spanx. I had so much lycra on me you could flip a quarter off my butt, but my stomach looked good.

Wildthyme
02-03-2011, 12:57 PM
What I really want to say to them is; "Do you really think you should eat that?" But I guess some would consider it unkind. :dizzy:

Trust me if they are overweight they know they shouldn't be eating that already and don't need anyone to remind them or offer them "helpful" adivce. They probably spend 24 hours a day berating themselves already. Its always easy to be sure how someone else ought to be living their life when what we need to be concerned with is how we are living our own (something I try to remind myself of frequently).

MikeA
02-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Even "I" who have never had to worry about overweight issues (quite the opposite...I'd love to GAIN about 40 pounds!) knows that it is perfectly fine to eat as much Pizza as you wish as long as you have a diet coke with it and if that is not available, you can eat a salad and make it okay. I'm sure that can be applied to doughnuts.

TimothyBFan
02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Trust me if they are overweight they know they shouldn't be eating that already and don't need anyone to remind them or offer them "helpful" adivce. They probably spend 24 hours a day berating themselves already. Its always easy to be sure how someone else ought to be living their life when what we need to be concerned with is how we are living our own (something I try to remind myself of frequently).

Amen my sister!!! And being overweight doesn't always mean you are unhealthy. Anyone who knows me personally, or FB or whatever knows I'm not skinny BUT my doctor will be one of the first to tell you, I am very healthy, no problems at all, especially for the age of 47. My cholesterol is very low, and all my #s are very good. We have a wellness physical every year and in fact my cholesterol even dropped another 40 points this year. I admit I LOVE food. It's my 1 bad vice, I don't smoke, I don't drink but I do eat. I do love fruits and veggies and, unfortunately, fried food. I drink tons of water every day. Don't know if it's just in my genes or what.

Would I like to lose 40 lbs?--damn straight I would. About 15 years ago I went on a diet (why this one was suppose to be any different from the other 100 I've tried over the years, I don't know) and got skinnier than I ever had. Was eating healthy, exercising, etc.... Kept all that weight off for almost 5 years then one holiday I blew it and started gaining it all back. Told myself I will never diet again. I think the roller coaster diets is worse than being overweight. I've been fine with that decision and am a lot happier now than when I was continuously stressing out about losing weight all the time. I dress very stylish and neat and you will never see me without my makeup and hair done. Just because you're heavy does not mean you have to be sloppy (that upsets me when anyone looks sloppy) and I will always present myself well.

I'm also very lucky I have a very supportive, loving husband who has been with me through the thick and the thin (literally) and has never once criticized me about my weight.

I sometimes want to ask people who feel the need to belittle or make fun of someone who is overweight, whether it be slightly or a lot, if they drink or smoke which is just as unhealthy or sometimes more so than being overweight. It must be nice to be so perfect that you can make fun of someone that isn't.

And to think, I told myself this morning, "I'm not even going to reply to this topic". :laugh: Stepping down now.....http://bestsmileys.com/angry2/6.gif

tequila girl
02-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Well said Cami and Willie.......as an overweight person..I thank you! :xoxo:

Prettymaid
02-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Let's face it - we can all better ourselves...inside and out. ;)

MikeA
02-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Oh lord! I was not trying to belittle anyone folks. Just a bad decision on my part to toss what I thought was a bit of humor that I've heard many people state (about the salad).

I sincerely hope you'll forgive me for that!

TimothyBFan
02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Oh please Mike----You made me laugh!!!!! Besides, I LOVE my diet coke!!! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Mike, I wasn't upset with anything you said, ya big goofball! ;-)

tequila girl
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Didn't upset me Mike....I too love diet coke....as long as there's a Bacardi in it! :laugh:

tequila girl
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Send me your address and I'll be glad to ship you the 40 lbs I have! I'll even add a few extra and send it PRIORITY MAIL!!!!
Now why didn't I think of making Mike that offer? :confused: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM
:hilarious:

Annabel
02-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Have most of hubby's family coming in from across the country this weekend. After MIL's home visit didn't go well a few weeks ago, we had a meeting with the nursing home and were told that if she went home, she'd need 24 hour care. She thought about it but has decided to stay in the nursing home instead. She wants us to clear out the house now and get it on the market. She has everything in writing of what goes to who, etc and so we decided a couple weeks ago that this weekend we'd get everything distributed and get as much packed up as we can. As we made phone calls to all the grandkids, they all decided they wanted to be here to help also. They all start arriving tomorrow. It will be nice to have everyone home but the circumstances are not pleasant ones but, let's face it, they could be worse. It will be nice to have Dillon home this weekend. Just hope they have all this snow taken care of so everyone has safe trips in and back home Sunday and Monday.

I can totally sympathise with you TBF. My Mum had a small stroke in Sept 2009. She spent 3 1/2 months in hospital, then tried going home. She wasn't good at not doing anything and hated being alone, especially overnight. The carers visiting sometimes found her on the floor after falling because she had tried to get something. In the end they added extra care visits but still it wasn't working. My sisters checked out a home for her to try out. She hated it, but it was better for her so she stayed. Her care wasn't what it should have been though there so last year she was moved to a new home. One closer to 2 of my sisters which makes things easier all round. She hates this home too and is always saying about going home. Trouble is she has no home anymore as the flat she was in had to be let go because she was never going to be able to cope there. Her possesions were sorted and stored or sold by my sisters and BILs. Her days now are spent sitting in the big lounge with the other residents. Occasional entertainment and visits from the hairdresser. Family visit when they can although she sometimes doesn't remember they are there let alone that they have been. It's quite draining visiting to be honest but we go and put on a brave face. She is 88 and has always been very active until the stroke.
I hope everything goes well for you with your MIL.

Brooke
02-03-2011, 02:36 PM
TBF, good luck with all that. I feel for you. It's good she's made a list. That will help immensely.

MikeA
02-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Believe me ladies, and I AM NOT joking here....it is every bit as difficult for me to gain ANY weight at all as it is for overweight people to lose it.

It is not a "blessing" as a lot of people insinuate. It carries its own set of problems along with any benefits.

Suffice to say that both extremes of the "fitness" problem are serious matters and should not be joked about. It is that to which I was extending apologies for succumbing to the temptation of injecting humor. It was out of line.

TimothyBFan
02-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Oh for the love of science!!!! Seriously, we all have a sense of humor and I don't have a problem with that. It's when people belittle others because of their faults that I have a real issue with. In no way Mike or Pueb did you belittle someone because they were overweight or underweight! I can take a joke as well as anyone but I don't like to be told to put down a donut if I choose to have one because I'm overweight. I'm aware of that but I'm not hurting anyone else by eating that donut. Chances are, the person telling me that isn't perfect either and could make some changes to their own life that would better it to some degree.

Mike, I have an Aunt that is the exact same way. Couldn't even gain weight the 5 times she was pregnant. Doctors have tried everything. It's not done her any good either.

Now---let's all just agree to respect each other....PERIOD!!!

Prettymaid
02-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Mike, I remember you saying you have to take medication for your cholesterol (simvastatin) and your triglycerides (fish oil). That just goes to show that it affects thin people as well.

sodascouts
02-03-2011, 03:11 PM
It must be nice to be so perfect that you can make fun of someone that isn't.

Perfection is not required in order to make fun of others; mean-spiritedness is.

EagleLady
02-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I admit I am not in the best shape possible weightwise but I don't care. I am healthy and I enjoy my Krystals, McDonalds, etc.

TimothyBFan
02-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Changing the subject (and it really needs to be we'd all probably agree) I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatars soda and Prettymaid!!! They are gorgeous!!!

sodascouts
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks! Mine is from Pebble Beach. This week two years ago, I was walking the course with Glenn Frey along with several other fellow Borderers - one of the fruits of which was that photo. Ah, I miss those days! :weep:

TimothyBFan
02-03-2011, 03:41 PM
I knew that Soda--I'm a ding bat!! I actually meant to tell you both that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your signatures!! I also love your avatars but just not as much as your sigs. :laugh:

sodascouts
02-03-2011, 03:42 PM
I knew that Soda--I'm a ding bat!! I actually meant to tell you both that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your signatures!! I also love your avatars but just not as much as your sigs. :laugh:

Well, hey, I'll take that compliment too! ;) Thanks! I made it in honor of our Survivor game.

Prettymaid
02-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Thanks - I think. :huh: Lol!

Eve
02-03-2011, 08:55 PM
You know, when you see someone EVERY day, that is complaining at how they need to lose weight, and are going to Weight Watchers's but yet, eating two huge donuts EVERY day you see them, my sympathy is GONE. Don't complain about being overweight so all that can hear and then make poor food choices.

Mrs Frey
02-04-2011, 08:23 AM
The Queen Mary 2 cruise ship is currently docked (that is the right term, isn't it? :blush:) at Table Bay (Cape Town) Harbour. I can actually see it from our office window - quite a sight to behold.

Anyway, I joked with a colleague that I'm planning a trip on the Queen Mary 2. She played along and asked, "When?" I said, "Oh, when my SHIP comes in". :nahnah:

Sorry, it's just my lame attempt at humour. I'm not feeling so good, so I'm trying to cheer myself up.

Prettymaid
02-04-2011, 08:58 AM
How cool Mrs. F! I think you should go entertain the passengers!

Mrs Frey
02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
How cool Mrs. F! I think you should go entertain the passengers!

Hey, hey, PM, now there's an idea! :thumbsup: How do I go about it? :hilarious: :wink:

Mrs Frey
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I have a varied sense of humour - I enjoy "clever" humour, but slapstick or "silly" humour can be just as funny.

Annabel
02-04-2011, 10:33 AM
QM2 comes from my now home city of Southampton Mrs F. I get to see her fairly regularly either sailing by or berthed in the docks when we go into the city. She is 'an impressive block of flats' (apartment block) as my DH calls her. :rolleyes: He can't talk, only cruising he has ever done was on what is jokingly called the 'grey funnel line'. That's the Royal Navy to us civvies. ;) Mind you he wants to go on a cruise .... one day.

In 2008 we had QE2, QM2 and QV all in port together. These photos http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/QE2_QM2_QV-2.html
recorded that happening.

Annabel
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Not sure the effort I put into that comes across here but I tried. Maybe a few more o's :shrug:

MikeA
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
I just got a couple of questions.

First, I couldn't see any of the Bass Seats. Where are they located and are the flyrods stored near them? And is there a ice chest of Bud by them?

Also, is there a pedal control for the trolling motor?

Annabel
02-04-2011, 02:16 PM
:laugh: Ships :thumbsup: Boats are submarines DH reliably informs me. Mind you why are lifeboats called lifeboats :shrug: :hilarious:

tequila girl
02-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I always thought Ships were great big things - and boats were a bit smaller! :hilarious:

In fact i'd quite like to buy a boat, where i'm living screams out for one ....but not a submarine!

tequila girl
02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
I think in a sub your escape craft would have to be a smaller sub, launched from inside the big one so that there was no air/water leaks, thus doing away with the danger of the bends! :fear:

Annabel
02-04-2011, 02:47 PM
:hilarious: Okay to help here I googled

A boat becomes a ship when it is capable of venturing out into the open waters having been sealed or protected from the elements, whereas; a boat is an open vessel susceptible to the elements. Think of it this way: you can ship a boat but you wouldn't ship a ship it would ship itself

:eyebrow:

So a cruise ship is a ship. Why a sub is a boat I have no idea. :laugh: But we have pleasure boats and other sorts of boats, yachts and the like.

Now I know you want to know this so I googled again

The Navy considers all vessels ships; however, submarines are historically referred to as boats due to the nature of the first submarines. A boat in Naval terminology is a vessel that is launched or tended from a larger ship. The earliest submarines required support vessels to maintain and launch them, hence they were termed boats.

So now I understand where DH is coming from (I think). He still thinks like he's in the Navy. :rolleyes:

Annabel
02-04-2011, 03:08 PM
:hilarious: Yep that's it :brickwall: :laugh:

EagleLady
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
You know, when you see someone EVERY day, that is complaining at how they need to lose weight, and are going to Weight Watchers's but yet, eating two huge donuts EVERY day you see them, my sympathy is GONE. Don't complain about being overweight so all that can hear and then make poor food choices.

But You don't need to be so rude and point it out to them in public.

Eve
02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
But You don't need to be so rude and point it out to them in public.

LOL! I never said it to them. They broadcast to everybody that they are on Weight Watcher's and want to lose. We all just look at each other and roll our eyes.

Peekaboo
02-05-2011, 05:49 AM
Willie, best of luck this weekend getting everything sorted at your MIL's house.

Thanks for the kind comments on my birthday card from Natalie. I love that kid so much. She just makes my heart feel good every time I see her or talk to her on the phone. I do need to get back to my hometown more often because my SIL tells me that Nat often asks when I'm coming home because she wants me to come play with her. Breaks my heart when i hear something like that. I was actually planning to go back this week but that darn snow storm left me stranded at home. The roads were too bad to travel on. We got so much snow and ice that I wasn't able to move my car out of it's parking spot until today.

Troubadour
02-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Take care in that ice, Jess!

I've had quite an exciting morning (see the Petmania thread!), although I am sick yet again. I have a raging sore throat and a horrible cough. It started on Thursday and it's worse now. It's not tonsillitus, but it's just as painful. I'm off work anyway until Friday this week, which is good. I'm dosing up with whatever meds I can find! If I'm not better soon, I'll call the doctor. I should have a little companion from Monday to cheer me up anyway... ;) :heart:

Troubadour
02-05-2011, 01:20 PM
As well as watching the rugby this afternoon, I've been doing a bit of drawing. I'm sorry for my preoccupation with all things Old West, but y'know... These kinds of photos lend themselves to being drawn! I promise I'll get round to doing the Eagles soon! ;)

Anyway, here's the James boys...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/Continued/frankjessejamessketch.png

I normally do portraits quite large, so I was kind of happy that I got fairly decent features on a smaller scale. (This is an A4 sheet of paper, landscape.)

On a similar subject, I received my first Civil War relic in the mail yesterday - it's a cuff button from a US Infantry soldier's uniform. I love history and I'm fascinated, like many people, with this era in particular, so I was thrilled to get something real like that. I just wish I knew more about it. Who did it belong to? How old was he? When and how did he die? Unfortunately I'll never know... but it's fun to wonder.

I know a couple of my friends in the States have Civil War stuff passed down through generations... anyone have anything like that at home? I'd love to see pictures or hear stories, if you do!

Troubadour
02-05-2011, 02:00 PM
I'd love to visit the kinds of places you're describing (even if they DO just look like normal fields!) I wish I could collect a whole load of Civil War relics, but man, they're expensive. I got my cuff button for $20... it was one of the few things I could afford. I am pleased with it, though. Just to hold something that was sewn onto a Civil War soldier's uniform is pretty amazing to me. My button was found in Richmond, VA. Unfortunately they've taken the picture down from the website, and I can't get a good shot of mine at the moment because my digital camera is flat, but this is another one that's similar. Mine is smaller though, and it has an "I" in the middle for Infantry, not an "A" for Artillery...

http://www.virginiarelics.com/pc3364.htm

Lisa
02-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Your drawing of the James Boys is unsurpassable! True talent!

Stars
02-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Troub, I also enjoyed your drawings-you have a God-given talent, that's for sure!

sodascouts
02-05-2011, 05:26 PM
So sorry you're sick again, but hopefully your little friend will make things better. ;) And I've told you before how highly I regard your drawing talent. Amazing!

I know a couple of my friends in the States have Civil War stuff passed down through generations... anyone have anything like that at home? I'd love to see pictures or hear stories, if you do!

My mother's family has a few members very interested in genealogy and some of them spent years gathering as much information as they could find on our ancestors going all the way back to the 18th century, when one of them was captured by Indians at the age of 8 and adopted by the chief, living with him as his son until he was 13.

As far as the Civil War goes, we had members who fought on both sides (as many Americans did), and one of my relatives actually wrote a history of our family which each of the descendants received, including myself. I have it here with me now so I can give you some highlights. ;)

Frank Hill became a sergeant in the Union Army and fought in the battles of Chickamauga, Selma, and Atlanta. Hiram Hill served in the famous "Squirrel Hunters" militia who set traps for Confederates near Cincinnati. John Dunn was wounded severely at the Battle of Shiloh by a shell and was honorably discharged due to the fact that his breastbone and half of his ribs were caved in.

Richard Engle was a private serving at the Gulf of Mexico who also had to be discharged because of injury - not in battle, but in attempting to get one of Union army's mules onto a boat! Family tradition says that mule was absolutely crazy and no one wanted to have to deal with him... Engle drew the short straw and paid the price.

Wesley Hill was serving at Murfreesboro, Tennessee when he contracted malaria and almost died from complications, leading to an honorable discharge. Benjamin Carrithers enlisted in the Union army at 18 but sickened while serving in Louisville, Kentucky and had to be discharged as well. Another casualty of disease was William Kester who enlisted at Nashville, Tennessee at the age of 19 and died of sickness three years later at an army camp.

John Adams Carrithers was captured during the Georgia campaign in 1864 and put in Andersonville Prison, where he contracted scurvy and died just days after he was released at the end of the war. He got buried in Beaufort National Cemetery. (According to family tradition, when he got out, he was starving because they barely gave the prisoners of war any food; when he finally had access to food, he ate so much right away that his body couldn't handle it and he died.)

John "Will" Crutcher joined the Union Army's cavalry under an alias because his family were Confederate Kentuckians, but he was anti-slavery. According to the record, "On 7 Oct 1862 his horse was shot under him during a skirmish with the enemy near Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, causing the horse to fall on Will's left leg. The horse tripped when a board fell through the bridge and Will hid below the floor of the bridge to avoid Confederate soldiers from reaching him with their sabres." He came out of it OK and was given a pension for his injury.

Hamilton Hudson was a Confederate cavalryman and was the one who had General Nelson's dispatches when he was killed.

Daniel Franklin was severely wounded at the Battle of Vicksburg and later died from those wounds, so he is buried at the famous Vicksburg National Cemetery.

And there you have it - the Civil War participation of my Hill ancestors! There are pictures and relics as well but sadly I don't have them here. :( I will call my aunt later and ask about them.

Troubadour
02-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow, Nancy - thank you so much for taking the time to recount those stories. Such tragedy, but endlessly fascinating... I love that your family members are interested in genealogy and have discovered all of these tidbits about your ancestors. Don't you just wish you could meet them and talk to them? I would love, at some point in the future, to see some pictures or relics, if you are able to scan/photograph them.

We have traced my maternal line all the way back to 1610. Pretty amazing! At the moment, though, they are just names and dates on a piece of paper. I really want to find out more about the people behind those names - stories to bring them to life.

Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge - so interesting to read.

MikeA
02-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Ladies,

I have nothing to add about ancestral participants of the Civil War. There is so little known about the people past my Great Grandfather on my Mother's side. His history was in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

But if you really like that "period history" and the history of the American "Old West", I highly recommend the Historical Fiction written by Louis L'Amour. I have everything he ever wrote...some Seventy or Eight books. He spans history from the first Settlers from Ireland and England through the beginning of the 10th Century. The Mountain Men, Calvary and Indian conflicts, the Gunfighters and the Sheriffs and Marshals.

They are action packed but not all blood and guts like a lot of the Western novels that are only loosely based on fact. L'Amour really researched his material and had many of his family doing research for him when he got to old to do it himself. But with his Novels taken as a whole, he pretty much covered everything significant that happened in the growing up of America.

sodascouts
02-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Well, I called my aunt and she tells me that most of our family photos prior to 1900 were destroyed during a hurricane several years ago (they were stored in the attic and the roof got blown off), but she will dig around and try to find some more.

She also told me about one man who didn't make the book, and who is the "patriarch" of the Arkansas branch of the family (which is pretty big). He was a sergeant in the Union Army who was taken prisoner by the Confederates in Arkansas and liked it so much he decided to stay there after the war ended and he was released. Or at least, that's what he claimed. Years later, he admitted on his deathbed to his daughter that James Linsycomb wasn't his real name, that he had been running from the law when he came down to Arkansas, and he had another wife back in Virginia that he'd abandoned! He never did tell her his real name or why he was a wanted man, though, so who knows what Virginia criminal we are related to. Little wonder he wasn't featured in our family book. lol

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 01:29 PM
I thought you were being a bit quiet today Judy! :smile:

Annabel
02-06-2011, 02:44 PM
DH left here about 5pm to head to his friend's in N W London so they can watch the game together. :rolleyes: Last year they spent the night texting each other throughout the game. :laugh: Think DH is still planning on being a Packers supporter. :hmm:

Annabel
02-06-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Keith Urban in the half time show. :rockon: Well I will watch it tomorrow seeing as I am on overnight child duty. :rolleyes:

EagleLady
02-06-2011, 03:40 PM
It's the Black Eyed Peas that has the Halftime show. Unless Keith is doing it as well.

Annabel
02-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Oops where did I read about Keith Urban doing it :laugh:

Annabel
02-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Ah I think that Keith and Maroon 5 are doing pre game. I saw something on his web site. ;)

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 03:59 PM
who's winning so far? ....or does it not work like "our" football...which I know nothing about either! hehe

Annabel
02-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Think BBC 1 has coverage from 10.55 tonight here Carole. I'll be busy zzzzzzz ing by then. Have to be up at 6.30 top kick the girls out of their beds. :laugh:

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Oh, I thought it started about mid-day :blush:
How cool would that be??.....but sadly by the time I got to the airport here it would be all over :hilarious:

The food sounds amazing, you can make it all again for when I do come!!;-)

Annabel
02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Try the ruby slippers :laugh:

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 04:19 PM
A gourmet cook just like me!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

MikeA
02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
That stupid BIRD is BACK! With the pond iced over except for the hole that is kept melted my my heater that I run just for that purpose (lets the fish farts escape....should bring a smile to Judy!) the heron can walk out over or on the Agent Orange and the fish think it is me coming out to feed them I guess. They practically swim into that monster's beak! He's so skitish though that any movement, even inside the house that he can see through the windows sends him launching off to try again.

Next time I get a shot, I'm putting a BB where the sun don't shine!

Troubadour
02-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Nancy - what a story! It's such a shame about those pre-1900 photographs, though.

Mike, I love Westerns (especially ones based on fact) and I definitely have to read some more of Louis L'Amour's books. He's a great writer. For a historical biography, TJ Stiles' book on Jesse James (The Last Rebel Of The Civil War) is unbeatable. At the moment, I'm reading a Wyatt Earp biog. and a fictionalized account of the life of Clay Allison. The latter is a much easier read! Based loosely on fact, but highly embellished. A lot of fun.

I hope everyone has a great Super Bowl Sunday. Unfortunately, because of the time difference, it isn't showing here in the UK until 11.30pm... but I'm hoping to stay up and watch at least some of it.

Annabel
02-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Mike, have you considered getting him a friend :shrug: As in a plastic replica. Maybe he'll think that he has competition and go away. :laugh:
I have seen a couple of houses here with large ponds and 'plastic' herons sitting on the side. We have herons at the fishing resevoir about 10 mins walk from my house. Sometimes see them sitting on rooves of houses too. That's enough to make you do a double take. ;-)

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Think BBC 1 has coverage from 10.55 tonight here Carole. I'll be busy zzzzzzz ing by then. Have to be up at 6.30 top kick the girls out of their beds. :laugh:
Thanks for that Melanie....I just might make an effort to stay up late and watch it.......see what it's all about! ;-)

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Well, i've decided to give it a go....but i'm not sure we'll get your commercials? :hmm:

Troubadour
02-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Clay Matthews is pretty yummy!

Brooke
02-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Mike, my husband never liked to read until he read a Louie L'Lmour book! When he starts one, he can't quit till it's finished. He thinks they are fantastic. I've read a couple and really enjoyed them, too. And yes, they are factually historical. He wants all of them, but only has maybe 20 or so. I need to find the whole set for him.

Too bad about that heron returning. Persistent thing isn't he?!

We're off to my s/n/l's for a superbowl party. I watch mostly the commercials and half time. Saw Keith earlier & he was fantastic! :nod:

Freypower
02-06-2011, 06:15 PM
The BBC doesn't broadcast commercials. It is a government run station.

ticky
02-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Im not a big foot ball fan, but I do love the ads (as well as all those tight ends! *G*)

Had a great end of the week (not weekend as I got sick last night and feel pretty icky today) but Cami came up Thursday and we spent Friday at M&Ds making truffles. Saturday we went to a craft bazaar/Flea market and sold the truffles, cookies, gourds, garden art and other exciting things we made. We did so well! We sold nearly out of the truffles and cookies, I sold a few gourds and Mom gave me a box she painted. (Picture to follow)
We made about $75.00!!
Saturday night Cami, Jenni and I went to 5 Guy's burgers and got some amazing food for dinner! (I love 5 guys burgers!!) Cami had to leave this morning to make it to a super bowl party this afternoon (So far she's missed out on whatever Sarah and I seem to be suffering from, lets keep our fingers crossed)
She also brought us some pretty terrific goodies! Having worked at Harry and David's she hit the employee sale last week and brought us 6 boxes of the most beautiful pears I've ever seen as well as gift boxes of cheese and crackers and (yes Willie) Moose Munch *G* We've been having Rouge Blue cheese and Fresh ripe pears for breakfast! She also brought Cliff a 10LB BOX OF TRUFFLES!!!! (dear god!!!!) those are in the garage staying cool and out of sight. Cliff takes a bag of them to work every few days and I just ignore them LOL. It's a good thing Cliff is tall and stick thin. He can deal with those *G*
I guess as soon as I feel better I'll be canning pears *G* and working on gourds and I have a new project. I'll be making home made paper and greeting cards. The same Craft Bazaar happens next month as well and I'll concentrate on St Patricks Day and Spring items. Mom found a set of really beautiful rubber Celtic stamps at the bazaar and I can get some really interesting textures and colors using recycled paper products to make paper. I can also inlay things like dried leaves and flowers. Im really looking forward to trying all this.
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs040.snc6/167081_1826000246837_1145190649_2193170_7775678_n. jpg

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Wow, you've had a busy weekend, that all sounds amazing and I love the Dragon Fly Box - is that one of your creations??.....I wish I was creative!

MikeA
02-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Melanie,

I have two cast iron Herons....one a male in a threatening pose and the female with her head in the water. That particular combination is supposed to scare the birds away as the "territory" is already claimed. That dang bird knocked both statues over to get to the hole in the ice!

ticky
02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks Carole, no, the dragonfly box my Mom did but she knows how much I love dragonflies so she gave it to me. She did use my dragonfly design that I use on gourds etc...I need to learn how to make rubber stamps now so I can make a dragonfly stamp!!

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 07:01 PM
The BBC broadcast has just started, 4 hours - no ad breaks!

Annabel
02-07-2011, 03:57 AM
The BBC doesn't broadcast commercials. It is a government run station.

FP, Sorry, it's not a government run station. We pay our annual TV licence fee to help pay for the station and, so we don't have commercials on the BBC. ;)

Wiki quotes; The BBC is a corporation, independent from direct government intervention,

The BBC is an autonomous public service broadcaster[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC#cite_note-AboutBBC-3) that operates under a Royal Charter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Charter#United_Kingdom).[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC#cite_note-crown-4) Within the United Kingdom its work is funded principally by an annual television licence fee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom),[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC#cite_note-TrustAR-5) which is charged to all United Kingdom households, companies and organisations using any type of equipment to record and/or receive live television broadcasts;[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC#cite_note-TVLic-6) the level of the fee is set annually by the British Government (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_the_United_Kingdom) and agreed by Parliament (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_of_the_United_Kingdom).

Well, I never got to see the pre game show. They didn't show it. :thumbsdown: Waited until kick off then had to go to bed so I'd get up at 6.30. Will watch the highlights on fast forward later. :laugh: At least DH will be happy when he comes home with the Packers win. http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n242/Mellie1961/cheerleader.gif

DH and I have been football fans since it was first introduced over here in the 80's. We even met through a UK based American Football 'fan club', ahhh! Love the game, although coverage has got less and less over the years. Don't even go there on the local club level. Where did they all go :shrug: Anyway now we have to make the most of whatever TV here offers us or wait for our US holidays to watch as much as we can.

Annabel
02-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Melanie,

I have two cast iron Herons....one a male in a threatening pose and the female with her head in the water. That particular combination is supposed to scare the birds away as the "territory" is already claimed. That dang bird knocked both statues over to get to the hole in the ice!

:stunned: Wow that is one determined bird.

sodascouts
02-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the info about the BBC, Melanie - learn something new every day! I like to watch BBC America over here, especially shows on monarchy. I love listening to the accents. What can I say, I'm an Anglophile. ;)

I'm up late again. Been having attacks of insomnia lately, ever since I had a seizure in bed last week. It wasn't too bad but my whole sleep schedule is screwed up. :(

Annabel
02-07-2011, 04:17 AM
:-) You're welcome Soda. Sorry to hear about your insomnia and seizure too. Even going to be late I woke up somewhere around 4 am this morning, then again at 5.11, and then when DD1's radio alarm went off at 6am. I almost missed my alarm at 6.30 :laugh:

DH and I have always called ourselves 'plastic Americans' as most of our holidays are Stateside. Love it there and now with DH's job, there is even a chance that one day we could be living there, if the opportunity came up. We'd take it too, although he'd rather it was New York area than Pittsburgh but hey ...... ;-)

Mrs Frey
02-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Gosh, you girls and Mike have had an eventful weekend!! :spin:

Troub, I just want to say you are an EXCELLENT artist! Those portraits are stunning! I do hope you'll get over this latest bout of illness soon.

Mike, good grief, it doesn't look like you're having any luck with that heron. I feel for you. The poor thing must really be hungry.

Soda, I'm sorry to read about your seizure and insomnia. I hope you'll be able to settle into a pattern again soon.

I've had a rather depressing couple of days - hopefully today will be the start of a better week for me emotionally.

tequila girl
02-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Hahaha Just Spotted This........ :hilarious: :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
02-07-2011, 10:23 AM
(yes Willie) Moose Munch *G*

Mmmmmmmm...........Moose Munch!!!

Soda-- get some sleep & take care of yourself.

I want all of you to get healthy & stay that way. Spring is coming!!!

Mike-leave the bird alone!

Been thinking about Lou this morning and the companion that arrives today! Can't wait.

I'm totally exhausted and drained after this weekend. Got quite aways on the packing up of Mom's house. It's amazing the stuff you find and how much there is. She wasn't a collector of anything and really didn't keep things but yet every drawer, cabinet, closet was still full and needs to be gone through. It's gonna take awhile.

MikeA
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Willie....can't sacrifice my fish!

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=908

Molly
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Mike, I'll send my dog, Zoe to you. She hates water so she'll stay away from your pond/fish, but she also hates birds and with her big bark, you're heron will be gone in to time. She barked 2 wild turkeys out of our yard yesterday.

Yes, ladies, Packer Clay Matthews is a golden god. And, I feel like a dirty old lady for saying it. I think he's the same age as my son, Peter.

soda and ticky -feel better. I have insomnia at times, too and it's the pits. I worry about you and your break thru seizures, Nancy.

Willie, I fear I'll be in your boat in the upcoming weeks with my MIL's house. She's kind of a pack rat so I'm not looking forward to trying to clear that house out. My sister in law is a major pack rat so maybe she'll just load everything up and take it to her house.

My MIL had the rest of her foot amputated a week ago. She's now rehabing at a nursing home here in our town. She's actually 2 doors down the hall from my Mom who is a residentof the nursing home (she has Alzheimer's).

It's weird having them so close together. My mom always got along with everyone as was very personable (all my friends called her mom). My MIL is pretty much the opposite -kind of hard to get along with and pretty unsociable. My mom was always nice to her but always got the impression my MIL thought she was "too good" for her. I think I'm thankful that my mom doesn't remember my MIL at all coz any "filters" she had before are gone. Lord only knows what kind of comments might come out of her mouth otherwise. :D I'd probably enjoy the comments, but I doubt my MIL would be amused.

MikeA
02-07-2011, 01:49 PM
You are almost certainly correct about a dog. But with out cold temps, I'd be afraid to leave a dog outside. We're heading for sub-zero temps again tonight.

It's sad hearing about your mother Molly. We've had that disease in our family too and it is just heartbreaking to see it devour the mind of those we love.

Molly
02-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Yeah, Zoe is not a fan of the cold, either. She'd be barking at your back door wanting to come inside!

Yes, I have my moments when my mom's illness breaks my heart. But, she's here and I can hug her and get a kiss from her -so I just enjoy those kinds of moments.

Prettymaid
02-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Man Troub, your drawing is good!

Soda...am I gonna have to come down there? :wink: I hope you're taking care of yourself!

Mike, isn't there some authorities you can call for advice?

Willie and Mollie, thinking of you both as you continue to take care of your elderly loved ones.

I am trying to get over a cold. I just had one in November (ruined my wedding anniversary!) and now this one. At least I didn't miss any work. The worst of it was this past weekend. :eyebrow:

MikeA
02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Mike, isn't there some authorities you can call for advice?

Yes Cathy. I can call the NRA!

WalshFan88
02-07-2011, 09:40 PM

TimothyBFan
02-08-2011, 04:51 AM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Run, little heron, run!!!!!

Mrs Frey
02-08-2011, 06:50 AM
I was just gonna tell you that I enjoyed your post about being onstage and the pics of you and all so when I couldn't in PM, just posted it here:smile:. There's an old saying(now that I'm ancient, I can bore you with them, like my folks bored me, ha ha)Promises and hearts are made to break.....very true and both are usually connected. You're here on the border now, so talk it out to your friends and it will take some of the pressure off. Try to cheer up!:nod:

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed my post about my performances and photos. I enjoyed sharing them.

Yes, well, true it may be, but broken promises and especially broken hearts hurt like hell... that's the only problem with that little bit of truth. :help:

The only thing I can do is have a heart-to-heart talk with my friend, who is in the middle of this problem. I'm not sure when it's going to happen, but hopefully soon. Only then will my heart be at peace.

Don't worry, dear, I'll be okay. I already have a determination that has come over me today, as well as a few things to focus on. I just have to keep my eye on the ball, so to speak.

Mrs Frey
02-08-2011, 06:53 AM
I'm totally exhausted and drained after this weekend. Got quite aways on the packing up of Mom's house. It's amazing the stuff you find and how much there is. She wasn't a collector of anything and really didn't keep things but yet every drawer, cabinet, closet was still full and needs to be gone through. It's gonna take awhile.

One day at a time, Willie... one day at a time... (which I have to remind myself of daily, so we're in the same boat). :sigh:

Mrs Frey
02-08-2011, 06:55 AM
My MIL had the rest of her foot amputated a week ago. She's now rehabing at a nursing home here in our town. She's actually 2 doors down the hall from my Mom who is a residentof the nursing home (she has Alzheimer's).

So sad, Molly. It's a lot for you and your family to deal with. All strength to you. :hug:

Mrs Frey
02-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Yes, I have my moments when my mom's illness breaks my heart. But, she's here and I can hug her and get a kiss from her -so I just enjoy those kinds of moments.

I know just what you mean, Molly - I'd give anything to have any moments at all with my mother again. The fact that she's gone is still something I struggle to accept every day of my life, and in March it will be 5 years since she left us.

Mrs Frey
02-08-2011, 07:00 AM
I am trying to get over a cold. I just had one in November (ruined my wedding anniversary!) and now this one. At least I didn't miss any work. The worst of it was this past weekend. :eyebrow:

Get well soon, PM! People think colds are nothing much to worry about, but boy, they make one miserable!!

Mrs Frey
02-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Run, little heron, run!!!!!

:lol:

Peekaboo
02-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Lou, fantastic drawing. You're so good at that. All of my friends are so crafty and artistic and i'm just not either of those at all. I'm :jealous:. Btw, Lou, I hope you're feeling better today.

Mike, I say whip out that bb gun and take that bird out. He's invading on your territory after all. Every man for himself. :armed: :wink: :lol:

Rhonda, I hope you get to feeling better soon. Trust me, it's not fun being sick so take those vitamins and meds and get plenty of rest. You don't want to end up being sick 3 times in less than 2 months like me. Btw, I like that dragonfly box. Sooo pretty. You're mom did a good job making that. :thumbsup:

Cathy, dang it! You're sick too? Well shoot!! You get well soon. Meds and rest for you too

Molly and Willie, my best to you both right now. Molly I hope you're mom has a quick recovery from her surgery. And Willie, I may not get to respond to all of them but I am keeping up with your posts on FB regarding getting your MIL's house packed up. Good luck with that. Don't forget to get some good rest while you're busy with all of that.

MF, i sure hope you start to feel more positive and at peace with whatever you're dealing with right now. Just remember you have friends here to lean on and talk to. Don't forget to browse through some Glenn pics and videos too. That should help take your mind off of what's bothering you even if it's just for a few minutes.

We're expecting another big snow storm to come through OK sometime Tuesday evening. Wait, it's already Tues. Sorry, i'm still on Monday right now so make that this evening. The storm is coming through this evening. This snow storm is suppose to be just as bad as the one we had last week. My bosses have asked me again if I want to volunteer to work and stay the night in the casino's hotel. I told them no last week but I ended up giving in this time so I'll be putting in some overtime this week. They're putting up all employees willing to work through the storm in the hotel and offering us free meals in the buffet. We have a buffet, sports bar and grill, and a few fast food restaurants in our casino so we at least get free meals from one of those. I'm not looking forward to working on my days off but the only thing keeping me going for this is knowing that my next check should be pretty darn good. I don't know that I'll have access to the internet while i'm there but i'll try to check in from my phone when and if I can.

Prettymaid
02-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Aww Jess, you're going to do your time, eh? I hope it goes by quickly for you. The food sounds good!

Peekaboo
02-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Aww Jess, you're going to do your time, eh? I hope it goes by quickly for you. The food sounds good!

Yup!! Somebody's gotta do it. I might as well make some extra money instead of being lazy at home watching the snow fall outside. I hope it goes by quickly too because it looks like I'll be working 6 days in a row. I'm used to working only 4 days in a row. I'll be checking into the hotel sometime this evening. YIKES!! I just looked at the time and it's nearly 7am here. I've been awake for almost 24 hours. Okay, I better get off of here and get some sleep. Today is gonna be my only day off this week so I better rest up while I can.

Prettymaid
02-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Nighty-night, Jess.

MikeA
02-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Snow's already started here in Wichita. Not much yet, but predictions are for around 5" this round. Verna just finished shoveling the driveway Saturday. I was helping out so she didn't have so much to do. I was running the vacuum before we were to head out for WalMart and a Bookstore.

Verna started the car and went out to shovel a path behind the car mostly, so we could get back into the garage after the trip to the bookstore and our Super-Mart.

I was vacuuming in the utility room and very intent on cleaning up a mess the cat had made....you know, all hunched over getting into every nook and crany, when Verna opened the door. She was freezing and not paying any attention and just wanted in the house FAST! The opening door caught me in the side of the head.

I saw little bubbles, birds, pink elephants and STARS! Dang near knocked me out <LOL>

But she did get the drive shoveled and when we got home, she shoveled the other side as well. I'm thinking she was feeling just a wee-bit guilty. Of course I stroked it for all the sympathy I could get out of it.

Prettymaid
02-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Shame shame Mike. :fingerwag: :hilarious:

Seriously, I hope you weren't permanantly injured!

TimothyBFan
02-08-2011, 08:58 AM
She told you it was an accident didn't she? :hilarious: Hope your head isn't still hurting.

Jess--good luck for the duration!! Just keep thinking about the $$ and the free meals. Eat well and take advantage of it.

MikeA
02-08-2011, 09:05 AM
nah, I'm fine. Just a huge knot...no blood, no brains! And YES, I apologized profusely for being in her way when she needed so desperately to get inside!

Jess...I'm sure it would be a lot more relaxing to be at home, but at least you'll NOT be out fighting for roadspace getting back and forth to work!

Mrs Frey
02-08-2011, 09:41 AM
MF, i sure hope you start to feel more positive and at peace with whatever you're dealing with right now. Just remember you have friends here to lean on and talk to. Don't forget to browse through some Glenn pics and videos too. That should help take your mind off of what's bothering you even if it's just for a few minutes.

We're expecting another big snow storm to come through OK sometime Tuesday evening. Wait, it's already Tues. Sorry, i'm still on Monday right now so make that this evening. The storm is coming through this evening. This snow storm is suppose to be just as bad as the one we had last week. My bosses have asked me again if I want to volunteer to work and stay the night in the casino's hotel. I told them no last week but I ended up giving in this time so I'll be putting in some overtime this week. They're putting up all employees willing to work through the storm in the hotel and offering us free meals in the buffet. We have a buffet, sports bar and grill, and a few fast food restaurants in our casino so we at least get free meals from one of those. I'm not looking forward to working on my days off but the only thing keeping me going for this is knowing that my next check should be pretty darn good. I don't know that I'll have access to the internet while i'm there but i'll try to check in from my phone when and if I can.

Thanks for the support, Jess - so much appreciated. :hug: I'll be okay, don't worry, my dear. I'm feeling better already just knowing I have so many people who care about me.

All the best with your work over the next few days. Your weather sounds absolutely ghastly. We have lots of sun over here at the moment - another thing to be thankful for.

Mike, awww, that knock to your head must have been very sore!! I'm glad you're okay. Poor Verna must have felt very bad.

Annabel
02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Awww Mike. Was Verna trying to knock some sense into you :hilarious: JK ;) Hope you are okay though.

I was telling my friend about your heron trouble yesterday. She has koi in her pond and has had a heron problem before she said. Her son used to frighten them away with his BB she said but never hurt them. She also had chickens ......... until foxes got in her garden over the weekend and got all 3 of them. Nobody remembered to lock them away overnight. :sad: There were only 2 piles of feathers though so they think the 3rd one must have been a take away.

MikeA
02-08-2011, 10:46 AM
The heron is spooky. I mean, any motion that isn't "registered" by him to "be normal" will send him flying. Just about anything will scare him off ONE TIME but if it repeats, it becomes "normal" and he ignores it. Things like pie pans suspended in a tree that are clanging together or reflecting light are worthless. He DOES head for the stratosphere whenever he see me whether I'm out in the yard or inside behind a window. Scaring him off does no good. He's right back within 15 or 20 minutes.

I'm hoping that he'll start associating my pond with PAIN from the BB gun. It will not hurt him unless I hit him in the head or neck and I'm definitely NOT aiming to seriously injure him regardless of what I've ranted about doing. But BB shots to the body are not likely to do any lasting harm. Now if I pump that Crossman gun all the way up and load it with a 22 cal pellet, it would penetrate and go completely through him! I don't want to do that. Seriously, I don't! But at the same time, I've got to protect my fish. They are just a carryout fast food joint for that heron. No protection and they are really stupid.

They see the tall heron stalking to the pond and swim directly to the open place in the ice thinking it is ME coming to sprinkle some fish food for them.

Can't leave the pond sealed with ice because that kills them. A heater burned out last year and I lost almost half of my fish. I netted out at least 48 dead ones. I think this heron has eaten at least that many this year already!

Mrs Frey
02-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I was telling my friend about your heron trouble yesterday. She has koi in her pond and has had a heron problem before she said. Her son used to frighten them away with his BB she said but never hurt them. She also had chickens ......... until foxes got in her garden over the weekend and got all 3 of them. Nbosy remembered to lock them away overnight. :sad: There were only 2 piles of feathers though so they think the 3rd one must have been a take away.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm very sorry that the chickens were eaten, but the way you put that is just hilarious, Annabel! :hilarious:

Mrs Frey
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
But at the same time, I've got to protect my fish. They are just a carryout fast food joint for that heron. No protection and they are really stupid.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shame, Mike, I really feel for you in this predicament. You handle it with such a wonderful sense of humour, though! I really admire that!

Brooke
02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Mike, you're way too nice to that heron.

I hope everyone that's feeling ill is on the way to recovery.

Willie and Molly, I also feel for you in dealing with your elderly loved ones. That time comes for most of us and it can be pretty rough. Keep your chin up.

Peek, good attitude about working extra. Save your extra money for Eagles concerts (hopefully there will be some here this fall).

EagleLady
02-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't think of harming the heron but those things are a pain. Had those suckers every time we would go to the beach to fish.

Annabel
02-08-2011, 12:08 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm very sorry that the chickens were eaten, but the way you put that is just hilarious, Annabel! :hilarious:

Mrs F, my friend and I had to laugh about it too, although we were both sorry about it. Mind you she won't mind that the chickens won't be eating her flowers, picking out the stones from her borders and messing on her decking. :rolleyes:

Molly
02-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Mike, if you're a fan of the old Batman series, you'll understand this comment:

Every time Verna wants you to do some chores, just pretend you're King Tut. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
02-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Shoot, so many pages in such a short time! I'll try to answer everyone as best I can - if I leave you out, it wasn't intentional!

Monique - sorry to hear about your hard times. Just remember - this too shall past. In the end you are still awesome. ;)

Willie - I can only imagine how difficult - both logistically and emotionally - putting away all that stuff was. Hopefully you will get more help next time!

Molly - glad your mother and MIL won't give each other a hard time! You amaze me with how well you deal with all the hard hits in your life.

Mike - I see you are still struggling with your heron problem. ;) Still, yikes! Maybe it is time to look into a dog! And poor thing about your injury in "the line of duty." Yes, milk that one all you can. lol

Jess - so you're sticking it out this time? Well, at least they can't complain that you're not doing your share! I do hope you get internet access though.

Melanie - chicken take-away - LOL!

I think I know what caused my seizure. I'm on a relatively new medicine and it's pretty powerful. If I even miss one dose, forget it. It's scary, honestly. I take one with me everywhere but I can't take them too close together either. But at least it's traceable to a cause.

Mrs Frey
02-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Monique - sorry to hear about your hard times. Just remember - this too shall past. In the end you are still awesome. ;)

Awww, Nancy, you are so sweet... :hug: I needed to hear that.

I think I know what caused my seizure. I'm on a relatively new medicine and it's pretty powerful. If I even miss one dose, forget it. It's scary, honestly. I take one with me everywhere but I can't take them too close together either. But at least it's traceable to a cause.

I can imagine how scary that must be, Nancy. Was the old medicine not working anymore, or can you go back on it?

jdubfan
02-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I had a two hour interview with a local gov't agency in my area. They told me up front I'm not exactly what they're looking for, but i tried to change their minds. I know everyone in the building and think I could do a good job for them given the chance. Won't know anything till the middle of next week...back to the waiting game.....3 weeks left of unemployment....this looks like it's going to go down to the wire. I'm hoping without trying to get my hopes up.

Troubadour
02-09-2011, 01:39 PM
The very BEST of luck to you, Deb!

Prettymaid
02-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Good luck JDF!

TimothyBFan
02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Fingers crossed for you Deb!!!

WalshFan88
02-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Good luck jdubfan! :)

MikeA
02-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Deb, I sure hope it comes through for you.

Brooke
02-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Good luck, Deb. I hope you get it.

sodascouts
02-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Best of luck, Deb. You deserve it!

And now, let me vent a bit....

I live 14 miles from work. I left work at 1:50. I just got home five minutes ago. That's right... OVER TWO HOURS to go 14 miles!!!

Why? Because Memphis drivers don't seem to understand that you have to go slow when it's actively snowing. VERY slow. And leave lots of room in front of you because you won't be able to stop quickly. And for Heaven's sake, don't try to cut people off who are leaving room in front of them for braking (!) or zip around them because you feel 20 mph is too slow (!) or take corners quickly! I saw accident after accident after accident.

The worst accident was on the two-lane road less than a mile from my home. Someone went too fast, lost control of their car, went into the other lane into oncoming traffic, making people swerve all over the place...half in ditches, half in drifts, half in the road... it shut down the whole road. I was several cars back, but I wasn't going anywhere. I sat there for 45 minutes!!!! At least no one appeared to be hurt - I don't think any of the cars even hit each other - they just all got stuck in various positions across the two-lane road and blocked everybody.

And the best part? I didn't even need to go to work today. I teach at 1:00 on Mondays and Wednesdays. As I was walking to the classroom at 12:50, I got the notice that the campus was going to close at 1:00! My class was canceled! I could have stayed home if only they'd notified us earlier.

Oh well. I'm home safe now. It was just VERY VERY FRUSTRATING.

MikeA
02-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I about cracked up laughing YESTERDAY while in a meeting with the folks in the office in Little Rock. Our home campus is there in Arkansas.

10am Tuesday morning, in the meeting, the head of our group was insuring that everyone in the office knew to charge their cell phones, take their notebook computers home and leave nothing loose on the desks. Why? Because they were to get snow Wednesday!

Honestly, for the very reasons you mentioned Nancy, that was WISE COUNSEL without doubt for drivers in Arkansas have NO EXPERIENCE except BAD EXPERIENCE in snow. There really is no snow removal equipment and they don't get enough snow to give the commuters experience in how to maximize safety or minimize hazards of snow and icy travel!

Little Rock pretty much shut down before the snow ever hit! I'm sure Memphis isn't much different.

sodascouts
02-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Memphis shut down the minute the snow started to fall, but not before. Still, the 2-4 inches expected here is such small potatoes compared to what I got used to up north that it does seem a bit abnormal. I just gotta remember my southeast Texas days, though, when I saw snow twice in 20 years.... and neither time left enough accumulation to cover the ground.

Prettymaid
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
That's awful Nancy, but you sure know how to tell a good story! :hilarious:
I'm thinking of Jess. I think I heard on our local radio station that OK has called out the National Guard!

Troubadour
02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Yikes - sounds like a nightmare journey! I am glad you're home safe now, Nancy.

Jess text me this morning. She's at Christi's, so at least she's not stuck at home alone.

Prettymaid
02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
I thought she was staying at the casino's hotel?

Glennsallnighter
02-09-2011, 07:11 PM

I live 14 miles from work. I left work at 1:50. I just got home five minutes ago. That's right... OVER TWO HOURS to go 14 miles!!!

Why? Because Memphis drivers don't seem to understand that you have to go slow when it's actively snowing. VERY slow. And leave lots of room in front of you because you won't be able to stop quickly. And for Heaven's sake, don't try to cut people off who are leaving room in front of them for braking (!) or zip around them because you feel 20 mph is too slow (!) or take corners quickly! I saw accident after accident after accident.

The worst accident was on the two-lane road less than a mile from my home. Someone went too fast, lost control of their car, went into the other lane into oncoming traffic, making people swerve all over the place...half in ditches, half in drifts, half in the road... it shut down the whole road. I was several cars back, but I wasn't going anywhere. I sat there for 45 minutes!!!! At least no one appeared to be hurt - I don't think any of the cars even hit each other - they just all got stuck in various positions across the two-lane road and blocked everybody.

And the best part? I didn't even need to go to work today. I teach at 1:00 on Mondays and Wednesdays. As I was walking to the classroom at 12:50, I got the notice that the campus was going to close at 1:00! My class was canceled! I could have stayed home if only they'd notified us earlier.

Lol, Nancy! Memphis sounds EXACTLY like Dublin when it snows. Up to this year we've rarely gotten any more than a few inches every other year. the authorities just aren't equipped to cope with it and neither are the citizens. So like you, the first time it snows it takes AGES to get to/from work, most schools are closed and we just veg at home until it clears!! Enjoy your afternoon! Hope the insomnia doesn't last too long. And that the new meds are ok!

I've missed about 4 days and about 8 pages!

MF, I can imagine whats causing your stress at the moment. All I can say is that you have done your best. I'm sure it will sort. Don't worry too much. Focus on how well your singing career is going.

Mike, I Hope your Heron problem (and your bump) get sorted as soon as possible

Deb! Hope you get that job!

I've finally managed to replace the laptop that was giving me such trouble since before Christmas, basically it just died! And our broadband service is very bad at the moment too. We've sorted that now, and changed from Vodafone back to Eircom. But it won't come in for another 4 weeks! grrr!
So everybody keep safe in that snow. OK?

Wildthyme
02-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Deb - I am in exactly the same situation as you right now so I will keep good thoughts for you and if you do the same for me hopefully we will both be employed before our benefits run out.

My sympathies to all of you dealing with the terrible weather. We are having the opposite issue here. Not enough rain and snow. We had lots in November and December and hardly anything since then. So now they are whispering about a possible drought if we don't have a wet spring. I can't say I am sorry that its sunny and close to 60 degrees today or that I enjoy the cold and wet but I sure hope we get some rain soon.

jdubfan
02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Back at ya, Wild, Best Wishes. I have a cousin in Westport, WA, and they're in the same boat. We here in the midwest had a drought going for most of the summer. I believe our snow melt will help reduce it some, hope you guys in the rain forest get some relief too. I don't want to get on my environmental high horse here, but I think these are some hints at what our future holds....weird, severe weather.

tequila girl
02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Good Luck Deb & wt in your search for employment...i'm sort of there too, but not desperately.....yet!
As far as the weather goes...I have trouble keeping up with who's where and what it's doing......so I just hope you all get what you want pretty soon!:)

Koala
02-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Good luck, Deb!
Soda, that must have been very annoying for you, but I have loved to read your story!

sodascouts
02-10-2011, 03:14 AM
I can imagine how scary that must be, Nancy. Was the old medicine not working anymore, or can you go back on it?

I realized I didn't answer this question earlier.

No, my old medicine wasn't working anymore. I switched over to this new one a few months ago. I'm not very happy with it either. I haven't yet found a neurologist here in Memphis yet, but when I do, I'm going to ask to get put on another medicine. Ah well, no biggie, I've been playing medicine merry-go-round since I was diagnosed at 12. But you know what? It could be a lot worse. In truth, I'm one of the luckier ones, and when I get bummed out about it I just try to remind myself of that.

Annabel
02-10-2011, 04:19 AM
Ok, whoever wants rain can have mine. Why does it insist on raining most Thursdays and Fridays atm which is when I have to go out to work. Saturday is looking like being the only dry day with more rain on Sunday. :brickwall:

As to the snow, I think all the idiot drivers come out to play. (Wherever you are it seems.) The amount of people who think they can drive like normal and then find they can't is unbelievable. And they never learn from year to year. :eyebrow: Whatever happened to drive according to the conditions. :shrug:

It still amazes me the way the UK closes down when we have snow, although usually it is after the event, but we don't get it on a regular basis so aren't prepared for when it does hit us hard. It always makes the news here about how pathetic we all are in the bad weather. Makes a change to hear that is happens elsewhere too, even if it is on here not the news. ;)
Anyway hope those of you struggling with the snow are ok and stay safe. :)

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 06:31 AM
I had a two hour interview with a local gov't agency in my area. They told me up front I'm not exactly what they're looking for, but i tried to change their minds. I know everyone in the building and think I could do a good job for them given the chance. Won't know anything till the middle of next week...back to the waiting game.....3 weeks left of unemployment....this looks like it's going to go down to the wire. I'm hoping without trying to get my hopes up.

You go girl! I really hope you get this job, Deb!!

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 06:38 AM

Good GRIEF, Nancy. I fully understand your frustration and need to vent.

Memphis drivers sound rather like Capetonian drivers. When it rains here, they try and drive away from the rain, or so it would seem. People seem to speed up, and when you leave room for following distance, they take the gap! Ah well, they do that anyway, even when it's not raining. I have no idea where they get their driver's licences from, but there you are. :roll:

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 06:42 AM
MF, I can imagine whats causing your stress at the moment. All I can say is that you have done your best. I'm sure it will sort. Don't worry too much. Focus on how well your singing career is going.

Thank you, GA. I really miss you, girl. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Deb - I am in exactly the same situation as you right now so I will keep good thoughts for you and if you do the same for me hopefully we will both be employed before our benefits run out.

My sympathies to all of you dealing with the terrible weather. We are having the opposite issue here. Not enough rain and snow. We had lots in November and December and hardly anything since then. So now they are whispering about a possible drought if we don't have a wet spring. I can't say I am sorry that its sunny and close to 60 degrees today or that I enjoy the cold and wet but I sure hope we get some rain soon.

Wildthyme, good luck to you too for your job opportunity. I also hope you get the rain that is needed to prevent the drought. We have had a lot of hot and windy days in Cape Town, with very little rain to speak about, but it's quite normal for a Capetonian summer. What was abnormal was how windy it has been, although the wind seems to have dropped somewhat over the last few days, thank goodness. I might consider getting back on my bike again - if I'd done so before I might have been blown off it into oncoming traffic!

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Good Luck Deb & wt in your search for employment...i'm sort of there too, but not desperately.....yet!

TG, let's hope you get work before you become desperate! Good luck!

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 06:50 AM
I realized I didn't answer this question earlier.

No, my old medicine wasn't working anymore. I switched over to this new one a few months ago. I'm not very happy with it either. I haven't yet found a neurologist here in Memphis yet, but when I do, I'm going to ask to get put on another medicine. Ah well, no biggie, I've been playing medicine merry-go-round since I was diagnosed at 12. But you know what? It could be a lot worse. In truth, I'm one of the luckier ones, and when I get bummed out about it I just try to remind myself of that.

Well, girl, I hope you do get a better medicine. You have a very brave attitude, and I admire you for that, but it would be even better if your medicine worked. :hug:

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Ok, whoever wants rain can have mine. Why does it insist on raining most Thursdays and Fridays atm which is when I have to go out to work. Saturday is looking like being the only dry day with more rain on Sunday. :brickwall:

As to the snow, I think all the idiot drivers come out to play. (Wherever you are it seems.) The amount of people who think they can drive like normal and then find they can't is unbelievable. And they never learn from year to year. :eyebrow: Whatever happened to drive according to the conditions. :shrug:

LOL, I hear you, Annabel. Why can't it rain OVERNIGHT? Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain! Just clear up when I need to travel to work, darn it! :wink: I know exactly how you feel!

And it's true about the idiot drivers. It doesn't matter how many deaths occur on the roads (and over here, that tally is very high), people just don't LEARN! It's each person for his/herself in this world. How sad.

Glennsallnighter
02-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Thank you, GA. I really miss you, girl. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Miss you too! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Oh yes, I was so busy catching up with everyone's news that I forgot that I had a rant coming on, so here goes:

I may have mentioned in a previous post that I was busy working with a makeshift band for a once-off gig on 19 February. Well, I got word today that the show has been cancelled.

Just like that.

The whole thing called off.

ONE IS NOT AMUSED!!!

:evil::evil::enraged:

The band I was working with was one put together hastily to fulfill the date, as the band that was going to do it couldn't make it. I was asked to be a part of it, and I thought it would be an enjoyable challenge, and I accepted. We got together twice last week and once so far this week, with another practice planned for tomorrow evening (Friday).

We had worked on more than 20 songs already.

AND NOW THEY CANCEL IT!!!

All our hard work, all our time, all our petrol (or gas)!!! And petrol is so darn expensive over here too.

Granted, I enjoyed the experience and meeting and working with new people, but who is going to compensate us for our losses? In future, I think we should guard ourselves against such disappointments by ensuring they PAY us a deposit so that we are covered in the event of cancellation. Us musicians are far too airy-fairy when it comes to negotiating terms for shows. We let people get away with murder, so to speak.

End of rant. I'm just so disappointed right now. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

Sorry, now this is REALLY the end of my rant. No more, I promise. Hmph.

Troubadour
02-10-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm sorry, Monique. How disappointing. :sad:

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Thank you, Lou. :hug: I'm going to try not to rant anymore! :brickwall: