PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening In Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

Troubadour
02-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Oh, you go ahead - sounds like you have just cause to! I feel for you. :hug:

MikeA
02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
"Mrs Frey" (addressed according to your desires! :wink: )

Especially in cases such as you described, a Retainer would certainly be in order. Just reverse the cancellation. What if you guys had waited until the last minute and then decided you didn't want to do the gig. Where would those seeking your talents be? They'd be without entertainment for the evening!

Annabel
02-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Awww Mrs Frey, Sorry to hear they cancelled on you after all your hard work, what a bummer. :sad:

TimothyBFan
02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
MF---sorry to hear that!! What a disappointment.

Cami & Deb--good luck to ya both!

Just want to say one thing regarding the weather and the cancellations because of it.......what a bunch of WUSS'! :hilarious: I have a SIL that moved to Nashville last fall and is working at a grade school down there. She called me one day last month and said she didn't have to work because they had a snow day. I asked how much and she told me about an inch. I laughed till I cried.

Mrs Frey
02-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Troub - :hug:

Mike - unfortunately, I didn't liaise with the client, so I'm not clued up as to the terms and conditions. Maybe I should get in touch with the band member who did, and find out what's going on. Thank you for the idea. And you made me laugh again - thank you!!

Annabel, thank you, a bummer indeed.

Willie - thank you. And you made me laugh too! The laughter is helping this headache I've had since I found out about my cancelled gig.

I really should be working - and I've got loads to do - but I can't concentrate today. I'll have to work out my frustrations during my running and weight training tonight.

Koala
02-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Mrs. Frey, Im really sorry to hear that, you must very disappoint!

Brooke
02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Mrs F, I'm sorry about your gig being canceled. I'm sure you are disappointed. Maybe something new will turn up.

Soda, what a terrible drive home! I'm glad you made it safely!

sodascouts
02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Mrs F - ugh! That blows! Like you said, in the future, a non-refundable deposit would be a good idea.

ticky
02-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Awe MF Im sorry about your cancelled gig.. that sucks! They should have given you a warning or SOMEthing!! all that work.. sheesh...

Nancy, we have traffic like that on Sunset highway. Now, I dunno what brain trust decided it would be sooooo beautiful to build a highway that LITERALLY drives off into the sunset, but now figure... 500K people, in Portland, about a 3rd of those live to the west of Portland and work in or near the city. SO we drive EAST in the MORNING.. and WEST in the EVENING... whats wrong with this picture?? and I wont even talk about the Garden State Parkway in NJ when it rains. PEOPLE PARK UNDER THE OVER PASSES?!?!?!? the ROAD FLOODS?!?!?! serious infrastructure issues back there. Of course we'd see people having picnics on the green strip meridian there too. Would it really be THAT much of a betrayal of a constitutional right to demand IQ tests for things like driving and parenting? *G* ya really gotta wonder sometimes.

Molly
02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Monique, sorry for your cancellation and disappointment. That door has closed, here's hoping an even better one opens!

I remember years ago when Steve had a job interview in Longview, TX, I went along to meet with a realtor and look at houses. The woman showed me one house that had an incredibly steep driveway. My first comment was that that driveway would be a sheer nightmare in winter when it snowed.

She looked at me like I was nuts explaining to me how seldom it snows. "Besides," she said, "if it snowed, why would you be leaving home, where in the world would you be going" Ahhhh, to my job? She laughed at me! Told me everything would be closed down.

Scary thought since my job would have probably been at the local hospital.

Mrs Frey
02-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Thank you Koala, Brooke, Soda, Ticky and Molly for your sympathy and kind words. It's true: there no use crying over spilt milk - just have to look to getting more gigs in the future.

I must say, my workout last night with my friend helped to get some of the stress and anger out of me.

Ticky and Molly, your stories regarding your drivers, roads and snow sound scary. I can't relate to the snow stories, though, as we don't get snow in Cape Town. The only time we see snow is when it's really very cold during winter, and some snow settles on Table Mountain, but that's about it. We also get some snow further inland, in high-lying places like Ceres. Many Capetonians flock to Ceres during that time, as it's quite a novelty for us once a year.

Glennsallnighter
02-13-2011, 06:03 AM
MF! I too am so sorry to hear that your gig has been cancelled. It must be soooo frustrating. And I agree with Mike. When you are contracted to do a gig you should ask for some sort of booking deposit. How do they know you haven't turned down something even more lucrative, and then they cancel? Not good!

Nancy, I hope you too find a suitable neurologist and suitable meds for your condition. Take care of yourself. We are all concerned for you. :hug:

We have had a BUSY weekend so far and the kiddies are sleeping it off now. Laura had her irish Dancing grading exam on Friday afternoon. By coincidence she had also planned a sleepover for herself and her 2 best friends Bhavya and Eve. As I'm sure anyone here is aware, these should NOT be called sleepovers, as there is VERY little sleeping done! of course, after finally getting them to settle at 2am, guess who had to be up at 7 to make them pancakes?
Exactly!

Then we were in Mum and Dads last night for a dinner to celebrate their 53rd wedding anniversary! WOW!! Thank God they are still well and able to enjoy their time together, but Dad has gotten VERY confused and forgetful over the last year since he got his hip replaced. Still at both my age and theirs I'm lucky to have them.

So we are all TIRED today!!

MikeA
02-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I did something really stupid yesterday. I let my "manly pride" dictate my actions. With all the snow we've had, I got to feeling really bad about Verna out there all bundled up shoveling the driveway, sidewalk and back decks while I sat in front of a computer or watched TV or whanged away at my guitar.

So, yesterday when she went to the store to stock up on groceries, I put on a coat, got out my sun glasses and went out and shoveled the snow from our driveway behind my truck. It's a double width drive and Verna had only shoveled the side behind our car.

It didn't hurt at first. By the time I finished, I was hoping Verna would hurry up and get home so she could drag me into the house!

It is WORSE this morning. And I'm being verbally abused for even doing it!

Oh pain meds....kick in! Please kick in! <LOL>

sodascouts
02-13-2011, 02:56 PM
When manly pride means shoveling snow for a lady, I applaud it - to a degree! But you gotta stop sooner, it seems!

GA - congrats to your parents on 53 years of marriage!

MikeA
02-13-2011, 03:57 PM
No chance Nancy. I'm strictly forbidden from ever looking at a snow shovel again.

I knew better than to try it but I just couldn't stand seeing Verna out there breaking her back doing it.

If I even thought that we'd be getting this much snow every year, I'd buy a snowblower. This was so dry and powdery that I think I could have cleared the driveway with a leaf blower. I'd have tried it but I didn't have any gas and couldn't get the truck out of the garage to go get any.

timfan
02-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Ouch Mike I know how that feels I've done the same thing!

Well I may not be on very much in the next little while as my computer has had to be dismantled because.... My bedroom flooded AGAIN! (it happened two years ago as well) This time we are bringing in an expert to try to figure out the source and hopefully get it permanently solved/fixed but it's gonna be a bumpy road, looking like their gonna have to tear down one of the walls in my bedroom and pull up a good part of my flooring. Ahh yes Kath goes back into construction mode!

Brooke
02-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Mike, I have to say I was wondering why you were letting Verna do all the shoveling. :headscratch: But, really, you shouldn't try to do it all at once! Hope you're feeling better now.

tf, sorry about your sogginess. I hope you can figure out where the problem is.

Ga, congrats to your parents. In this day and age, it's quite an accomplishment to stay married that long. It's not always easy, but they have persevered. :thumbsup:

Koala
02-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Mike hope you feel better!
GA, congrats to your parents!
TF, sorry to hear about your flooded bedroom!

Glennsallnighter
02-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Ouch Mike I know how that feels I've done the same thing!

Well I may not be on very much in the next little while as my computer has had to be dismantled because.... My bedroom flooded AGAIN! (it happened two years ago as well) This time we are bringing in an expert to try to figure out the source and hopefully get it permanently solved/fixed but it's gonna be a bumpy road, looking like their gonna have to tear down one of the walls in my bedroom and pull up a good part of my flooring. Ahh yes Kath goes back into construction mode!

Awww Kath, thats a pity :hug:. I hope your insurance will cover the job.

Glennsallnighter
02-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Mike hope you feel better!
GA, congrats to your parents!
TF, sorry to hear about your flooded bedroom!

Thanks Brooke, Soda and Koala! Yes indeed, they have had plenty of ups amd downs in their lives, but I think they'd agree it was worth it and would do it all over again!

Mrs Frey
02-15-2011, 06:31 AM
MF! I too am so sorry to hear that your gig has been cancelled. It must be soooo frustrating. And I agree with Mike. When you are contracted to do a gig you should ask for some sort of booking deposit. How do they know you haven't turned down something even more lucrative, and then they cancel? Not good!

Thanks, GA. :hug: You and Mike are quite right, but the problem is, there was no contract set up in the first place. As I said, we musicians are far too airy-fairy when booking shows. You'd think we'd learn something after all these years.:roll::headscratch:

We have had a BUSY weekend so far and the kiddies are sleeping it off now. Laura had her irish Dancing grading exam on Friday afternoon. By coincidence she had also planned a sleepover for herself and her 2 best friends Bhavya and Eve. As I'm sure anyone here is aware, these should NOT be called sleepovers, as there is VERY little sleeping done! of course, after finally getting them to settle at 2am, guess who had to be up at 7 to make them pancakes?
Exactly!

Then we were in Mum and Dads last night for a dinner to celebrate their 53rd wedding anniversary! WOW!! Thank God they are still well and able to enjoy their time together, but Dad has gotten VERY confused and forgetful over the last year since he got his hip replaced. Still at both my age and theirs I'm lucky to have them.

So we are all TIRED today!!

It sounds like you had a super weekend, and I'm happy for it. Congratulations on your parents' 53rd wedding anniversary! I actually remembered after you reminded me that 11 February was my Glenniversary (which this soft, cluttered head of mine forgot about, then remembered, then forgot again :roll:), and then I'd already sent you the text. I'm glad they're still doing well, although I can understand that it must be worrying for you that your dad gets confused and forgetful. Let's hope that will improve.

Mrs Frey
02-15-2011, 06:34 AM
I did something really stupid yesterday. I let my "manly pride" dictate my actions. With all the snow we've had, I got to feeling really bad about Verna out there all bundled up shoveling the driveway, sidewalk and back decks while I sat in front of a computer or watched TV or whanged away at my guitar.

So, yesterday when she went to the store to stock up on groceries, I put on a coat, got out my sun glasses and went out and shoveled the snow from our driveway behind my truck. It's a double width drive and Verna had only shoveled the side behind our car.

It didn't hurt at first. By the time I finished, I was hoping Verna would hurry up and get home so she could drag me into the house!

It is WORSE this morning. And I'm being verbally abused for even doing it!

Oh pain meds....kick in! Please kick in! <LOL>

Awww, shame, Mike! You've had it tough over the last two weeks - first the bump on the head, and now this! I hope you're feeling a bit better now!

Mrs Frey
02-15-2011, 06:36 AM

Oh dear! Kath!! Good grief, you sound so calm about it. I'd be throwing 10,000 tantrums!! I really hope you will be able to solve this problem. Good luck! A lot of hard work and inconvenience ahead for you, it seems.

Mrs Frey
02-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Okay, I'm in a good mood, and I feel like showing off. :nahnah::partytime: :wink:

Here are some photos taken backstage of me at the Elvis tribute show I was involved in during December 2010/January 2011:

Here I am with "Elvis", my friend, James. If we looked sweaty and tired, it's because it was at the end of the show that night :wink:.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0599.jpg

And these are just of me showing off:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0595.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0747.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0626.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0683.jpg

:D:D:D

You can tell I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself :wink:. It's about time, too! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Sadness, stay away from me!

I hope you don't mind this bit of self-indulgence, but I wanted to share it with all of you. I still can't believe I was involved in this show. A real fairytale for me.

TimothyBFan
02-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Love the pictures Monique!!! And absolutely adore that blue dress!! Very, very pretty!!! You go girl and you stay in this good mood of yours!!!!!

WalshFan88
02-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Mike - Hope the pain goes away soon! In the meantime, you might as well play guitar huh?!
Timfan- Sorry to hear about the flooded basement. I work on computers all the time and it's something I have to take care of a lot.
Glennsallnighter - Congratulations to your parents!
Mrs Frey - Great pictures!

It looks like I'm going to be making an unexpected trip to my Doctor this morning. I think I have been bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider!!! :-(

I was working the other day at one of my computer clients in their outside enclosure (installing Windows 7, just thought I'd throw that in, but I doubt anyone cares :D) and I came home and was changing clothes and I saw a brown "bug" go scurrying across the floor and then after a bit, I noticed my left leg is REALLY sore. Burning like a bad sunburn. Well it looked red and swollen. This was Sunday.

Yesterday I wake up, in even MORE pain, this time its like a REALLY bad sunburn and sharp. I, being a genius and a picker, decided to pop the little "zit" (what it looked like) on top of this red raised bump. Now here is where squeamish people need to tune out for a bit and skip to the next paragraph! Green pus started coming out like an erupting volcano. I then squeezed the rest out and went about my day. The pain was still there, but less.

Last night I was in so much pain, it hurt to walk and stretch the skin on that leg and this morning it feels like I've been stabbed, but the pain is a burning sharp pain and it is all nasty again. Its a BIG red area with a red ring around it and a white dot in the center. I also have a mild headache. Everything I've read online screams "Brown Recluse Spider Bite", but Cellulitis can also cause this. But me seeing the bug (it looked black and brown) makes me think otherwise. So I guess I'll see but they best not touch it cuz I'd hate to have to hit the poor guy. :hilarious: I think they will give me a steroid shot (in my arm I hope!) and an antibiotic shot and pills but I think it's a spider bite. If it's cellulitis the treatment is strong antibiotics and in severe cases a hospital stay with IV's. I really think it's just a nasty spider bite though. It looks gross.

I'll keep you all posted! That is if my leg doesn't fall off! Then it might be awhile! :hilarious: (see, you gotta find humor in some things!)

Mrs Frey
02-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Love the pictures Monique!!! And absolutely adore that blue dress!! Very, very pretty!!! You go girl and you stay in this good mood of yours!!!!!

Thank you, Willie! :hug: I'm trying very hard to work on my mood - I hope I can make it last! If you'd like to see more photos like these, check out my Facebook page. :)

Mrs Frey
02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Mrs Frey - Great pictures!

Thank you so much!

It looks like I'm going to be making an unexpected trip to my Doctor this morning. I think I have been bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider!!! :-(

I was working the other day at one of my computer clients in their outside enclosure (installing Windows 7, just thought I'd throw that in, but I doubt anyone cares :D) and I came home and was changing clothes and I saw a brown "bug" go scurrying across the floor and then after a bit, I noticed my left leg is REALLY sore. Burning like a bad sunburn. Well it looked red and swollen. This was Sunday.

Yesterday I wake up, in even MORE pain, this time its like a REALLY bad sunburn and sharp. I, being a genius and a picker, decided to pop the little "zit" (what it looked like) on top of this red raised bump. Now here is where squeamish people need to tune out for a bit and skip to the next paragraph! Green pus started coming out like an erupting volcano. I then squeezed the rest out and went about my day. The pain was still there, but less.

Last night I was in so much pain, it hurt to walk and stretch the skin on that leg and this morning it feels like I've been stabbed, but the pain is a burning sharp pain and it is all nasty again. Its a BIG red area with a red ring around it and a white dot in the center. I also have a mild headache. Everything I've read online screams "Brown Recluse Spider Bite", but Cellulitis can also cause this. But me seeing the bug (it looked black and brown) makes me think otherwise. So I guess I'll see but they best not touch it cuz I'd hate to have to hit the poor guy. :hilarious: I think they will give me a steroid shot (in my arm I hope!) and an antibiotic shot and pills but I think it's a spider bite. If it's cellulitis the treatment is strong antibiotics and in severe cases a hospital stay with IV's. I really think it's just a nasty spider bite though. It looks gross.

I'll keep you all posted! That is if my leg doesn't fall off! Then it might be awhile! :hilarious: (see, you gotta find humor in some things!)

Oh my goodness, Austin! :shock: That sounds extremely painful! I'm worried for your sake, too - I really hope the doc can sort it out. I admire your sense of humour in this case! Let us know how things go.

MikeA
02-15-2011, 09:26 AM
I have to remember to remain Netiquettely correct Mrs Frey, and yet, in following my established protocol in freckle counting......what kind of guitar was that in that picture? Smokin' guitar! Memory fades but I think I recall a Black Smokeburst finish, or maybe it was Bright Sky Blue, or it could have been two-toned with a Fuchsia over Dark Blue.

Very Nice.

Prettymaid
02-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Lisa, I hope you've recuperated from your busy weekend. Your pancake breakfast was making me hungry! And congratulations on your parents' 53rd. Mine will be celebrating their 59th this year. It's amazing to see that two people can stay together that long! I know I feel a sense of pride when I tell people how long my parents have been married and I'm sure you do too.

Mike, it sounds like you and Verna have some kind of shoveling understanding - she does it and you don't! :hilarious: Seriously, take care of yourself and next time don't over do it.

TF, too bad about your bedroom flooding. That sounds horrible! I hope nothing of value was damaged and that your expert finds the source of the problem for good.

Mrs. F, thanks for sharing your photos. You're beautiful! And I love all of your outfits and jewelry.

I am off work today, which is good so that I can recover from the three glasses of wine I had last night! Honestly I only have a slight headache. I hope everyone who celebrated had a nice Valentine's Day. We had to work, but we had a simple dinner at home last night and exchanged gifts. I got chocolates and I gave Hubby some after shave balm. All in all a nice evening!

Oh and Austin, I almost forgot - take care of that leg, man! Jeez, that sounds serious!

Koala
02-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Great photos , Mrs. Frey! You looks great on it!:thumbsup:

Austin, oh no! This sounds really painful and very serious,take care of you, hope it is a bit better now!

Mrs Frey
02-15-2011, 10:30 AM
I have to remember to remain Netiquettely correct Mrs Frey, and yet, in following my established protocol in freckle counting......what kind of guitar was that in that picture? Smokin' guitar! Memory fades but I think I recall a Black Smokeburst finish, or maybe it was Bright Sky Blue, or it could have been two-toned with a Fuchsia over Dark Blue.

Very Nice.

LOL, Mike! Trust you to notice the guitar! Well, if memory serves, as it's not my guitar (it belongs to James), it's a Washburn acoustic electric. Don't ask me which model - I have no idea. :wink: I don't even know the model of my own guitar, LOL. And the colour is plain blond. :wink:

I'm glad you like the photos!

Mrs Frey
02-15-2011, 10:39 AM
I know I feel a sense of pride when I tell people how long my parents have been married and I'm sure you do too.

That's absolutely wonderful, PM!

Mrs. F, thanks for sharing your photos. You're beautiful! And I love all of your outfits and jewelry.

Awww, thank you, my dear! :hug:

I am off work today, which is good so that I can recover from the three glasses of wine I had last night! Honestly I only have a slight headache. I hope everyone who celebrated had a nice Valentine's Day. We had to work, but we had a simple dinner at home last night and exchanged gifts. I got chocolates and I gave Hubby some after shave balm. All in all a nice evening!

I'm glad you enjoyed your Valentine's Day. Gosh, I've never had a romantic Valentine's Day in my life - it's quite depressing when all the roses, cards, balloons and so forth come out of the woodwork at shopping malls leading up to the day. I don't have a boyfriend and the two that I did have didn't stay with me long enough to create an opportunity for such a celebration. I think I'd better stop that train of thought before Mr Depression rears its ugly head again... :sad:

No, no, no! I'm happy! :partytime: :nod:

MikeA
02-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I got sidetracked before I could post this by my Work. Got a call at 7:30am this morning <sigh>. One of "those weeks" I guess.

Austin,

Were there striations radiating out from the bite? That usually happens when you are bit by a spider....red streaks. Anyway, be sure and let us know.

CONCERN!

WalshFan88
02-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I got sidetracked before I could post this by my Work. Got a call at 7:30am this morning <sigh>. One of "those weeks" I guess.

Austin,

Were there striations radiating out from the bite? That usually happens when you are bit by a spider....red streaks. Anyway, be sure and let us know.

CONCERN!

Yeah plus a red ring. Last night the ring was about the diameter of a golf ball, this morning it's about the diameter of the rim of a Dixie plastic cup. Spreading outwards. I have an appointment for this morning with the Doctor.

MikeA
02-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Okay dude, really, nothing to procrastinate with. But you know that.

TimothyBFan
02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Yooo Whooo Austin!?!?!? Please tell us you've been to the doctor and all is well. That's just scary!! I HATE spiders!!!! :fear:

WalshFan88
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Just got back from the doc....

Brown Recluse Spider Bite confirmed. Going to be on a weeks worth of high dose antibiotics and antihistamines and if it continues or gets worse, I go back for a steroid shot.

Prettymaid
02-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Well there ya go then. Good thing you caught it early and went to the doc. :nod:

Annabel
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Glad to hear you have been to the doctor and have meds underway Austin. Sounds like a nasty bite. :nod:

Mrs F, lovely photos. :thumbsup:

Mike, hope you are feeling better now. :)

MikeA
02-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Not particularly great news to confirm that you have a Brown Recluse bite, but it certainly IS good news that you are getting the correct treatment for it!

My wishes are for a quick lessening of the swelling and pain Austin. Hang in there!

Brooke
02-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Yikes, Austin! I'm glad you caught it early and are on the meds now. I hate spiders, too! :fear:

MF, awesome pics of yourself! You are lookin' good! I just love the cute little blue ruffled number! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm very glad I went in when I did. I had actually thought about putting it off another day... I should notice a difference within 48 hours of starting the antibiotics. If not, the next stop is a shot of a steroid and possibly antibiotic. If that doesn't work, then it's off to a specialist/hospital. I'm hoping the meds will knock it. I'm on 1000mg! I'm hoping it'll do something! It's hurting. I didn't let the doctor touch it. I specifically asked for them not to because of the pain. So they looked under a light and with magnifiers and everything and was able to see fang marks! They say the symptoms go along with a Brown Recluse. They knew it was a Spider Bite right away but took awhile to confirm a Recluse bite.

sodascouts
02-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Kath - sorry to hear you're having more flooding problems - UGGGGHHH!!! Hope it gets fixed up soon.

Mrs F - work it, babe! You're sparkling in those photos - and I don't just mean the jewelry. :)

Austin - that sounds HORRIFIC!!!!!! I was cringing just reading it! I'm so glad you're getting treated for that awful bite.

EagleLady
02-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Wow, Monique, You are really Pretty in that Blue dress!

Mrs Frey
02-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Great photos , Mrs. Frey! You looks great on it!:thumbsup:

I'm sorry I missed your post, Koala - thank you, girl! :hug:

Mrs Frey
02-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Annabel, Brooke, Soda, EL - thank you, girls! :grouphug: And Brooke and EL, I'm glad you like the blue dress so much - it seemed to generally be a hit! :wink:

Soda, thank you, dear - let's hope I can continue to sparkle! :wink:

Austin! I am so glad you went to the doctor, I was worried for your sake. I really hope the medication will kick the infection into touch (oops, that's a rugby expression - I mean I hope the meds will work, LOL!).

Thank you for all the support, everyone - you make a girl feel good.

WalshFan88
02-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Well after about 24hrs with the antibiotics, antihistamines, and the steroid shot I got today (they actually asked me to come back in today to go ahead and get the shot, after thinking about it for awhile LOL) I'm actually doing pretty well. If this doesn't work, hospital might be my next step. But the swelling and pain have reduced and the redness isn't spreading anymore. I'm hoping I got it in time. I just hope it doesn't do any tissue damage. That would REALLY suck.

EaglesFanatic
02-16-2011, 07:29 PM
MF - Great pictures! I really like the blue necklace! Glad you are in a good mood and things are going well for you :nod:

Austin - Gosh, that sounds painful! I hope you have a speedy recovery from the bite!

I hope everyone had a happy Valentine's Day!

Mrs Frey
02-17-2011, 06:16 AM
EF, thank you so much! I'm glad you like the blue necklace. I specially bought it for the show.

Austin, I'm glad you seem to be on the mend. Let's hope you make a full recovery soon.

MikeA
02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
TRAUMA!

Miles had to have new ear-tubes today. He did fine but when they let Verna and Amanda go back with him, he was totally inconsolable! Just bawling! He wanted to go back so he could sleep! Back to the hospital!!!!!

They gave him Versete and he'd never had it before and it really did a number on him! Talking complete nonsense! Bawling because he couldn't go back to the hospital so he could sleep. Bawling because he couldn't come to Grandma's house today. Making himself sick crying. Breaks my heart...and Verna is almost as bad as Miles! No way she could bring him here after the procedure he went through, but I think she almost did so anyway.

No consolation but Verna promised that he could come here tomorrow night and spend the night. I hope THAT goes okay. It really didn't help matters any today.

Hopefully by tonight that Versete will wear off and he can get back to normal.

I've had that stuff before, and to me, it completely destroys short term memory. I think that's what it's done to Miles. He can't remember why he's upset but he knows he's upset! From what the Doctor said, we are not sure that he was even completely knocked out when they inserted the tubes!

Poor little guy.

WalshFan88
02-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Oh no! Poor Miles!! :(

Versed (aka Midazolam) is a very strong sedative. I've had it many times (in fact just had it a couple months ago for an endoscopy) and it does make you become forgetful. Amnesia and Dissociation are common with it. It usually is out of the system within 24hrs... But it can cause all of those symptoms you described.

I hope he gets better soon Mike!!!!!!

Stars
02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
MF, I just saw your lovely pictures, and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed seeing them! Your blue dress, especially, was so pretty and I loved the necklace!

Austin, hope you heal up quickly from the spider bite. I am so glad you went and got treatment quickly.

I took our kitty Smokey in yesterday for his third chemo treatment, and the oncologist said he is doing very well. I am so grateful for this, as had he not had any treatment at all, I don't think he would be with us anymore. He's a real trooper and I just pray that he continues to respond so well to the treatment.:pray:

MikeA
02-17-2011, 12:52 PM
I think you are right in the spelling and description. It is Versed that he had.

I just got a call from Amanda and she said that he is pretty much out of it now and getting back to normal.

Miles is a trooper. This uncontrollable weeping just isn't in his personality at all. When asked, he said that he wasn't hurting anywhere and never did complain at all about pain. It was all the drug all the way.

Well, we now know that as far a Miles goes, there ain't gonna be no more Versed in HIS future! Not while he's still a kid anyway. There are other options they could have chosen, but who could have anticipated THIS?

Anyway, he's okay now.

WalshFan88
02-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I think you are right in the spelling and description. It is Versed that he had.

I just got a call from Amanda and she said that he is pretty much out of it now and getting back to normal.

Miles is a trooper. This uncontrollable weeping just isn't in his personality at all. When asked, he said that he wasn't hurting anywhere and never did complain at all about pain. It was all the drug all the way.

Well, we now know that as far a Miles goes, there ain't gonna be no more Versed in HIS future! Not while he's still a kid anyway. There are other options they could have chosen, but who could have anticipated THIS?

Anyway, he's okay now.

There are plenty of other options from other IV anesthetics, to laughing gas, to complete anesthesia breathed in through a mask. Versed has weird effects on different people. Some start laughing uncontrollably, some get very mad and irritable, some cry (like Miles), and some talk about crazy things, etc. It's purpose is to sedate you and make you forget the procedure. It's usually given via IV, although it can be given as a shot (IM) or as a liquid you drink.

Brooke
02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Awwww, poor Miles. Glad to hear he is doing better.

Stars, I'm glad to hear he is doing well, too.

TimothyBFan
02-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Poor Miles. Be sure and get that in all of his medical charts! My kids have had several surgeries for ears but they always put them out with the bubble gum mask when they were little. That's awful for Miles.

We've been through so many ear, nose and throat surgeries, Dillon's had 8-including a reconstruction of one of his ear drums for hearing loss due to so many ear infections, ruptures and tube surgeries. He still has troubles and is on a special compound drug that we can only get at one pharmacy in the area that he has to dust his ear drum with 2 times a week. Katie has had 4 surgeries and still has issues and in fact, I called the doctor Monday to set her up another appointment because she had an ear infection right before Christmas and her ear is still all congested and causing problems. The second specialist Dillon went to as a child use to do seminars on Dillon's condition called Cherubism and my SIL, who is a peds nurse, went to one one time and he used Dillon as an example of "an extreme case"-pointed at her and said "you know who I'm talking about". Ears are nothing to mess with. Most kids outgrow ear infections and problems but some never do. We are some of the lucky ones-Dillon's 20 and Katie 18 and we are still dealing with them. It's heart wrenching to see them in pain from ear infections and now dealing with hearing loss due to them.

Austin -how's the spider bite today? Said it was looking a bit better yesterday. Hope it's still improving.

Carla- Glad to know your kitty is handling the treatments so well. Hope that continues.

WalshFan88
02-17-2011, 02:26 PM
TBF - The redness has stopped spreading and it hurts a lot less, both of which are good things. It's supposed to be gone by the weekend, if not, it looks as if on Monday I'll be going to Springfield or Peoria. But I really think its improved a lot since I started the meds. I'm hoping it goes away VERY soon. I think it will.

Prettymaid
02-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Oh Mike, my heart goes out to Miles. I hope he's feeling better soon.

And Stars, so glad to hear that Smokey is responding to the treatment.

WF, hope your bite continues to heal.

jdubfan
02-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Ain't fair when youngins have to suffer, shouldn't be so. Or kitties and r other pets. Glad yur on the mend Austin, guess we can't call you Spider Man now. ;) My SIL got bit last fall while camping and didn't get right to a dr, and is still having problems. It took them a month to figure out what was going on.
Guess I didn't get the job I was hoping for, sposed to hear by mid-week about second interviews and they haven't called :headshake:...so I'm in Johnny Paycheck mode, they can take that job and :censored: it.

sodascouts
02-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Poor little Miles! Glad he's feeling better.

Stars - I'm also glad your cat's treatment is coming along well.

Deb, I'm so sorry the job apparently isn't happening. This economy is so awful!

Koala
02-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Poor Miles, good that he is feeling better!
Stars, glad to hear your cat is doing very well!
jdubfan, I'm sorry because of the job to which you it wanted

WalshFan88
02-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Stars - Glad to hear your cat is doing well with its treatment! I hope he continues to get better! :)

Jdubfan - Sorry to hear about the job! And no, I'm not Spider Man anymore haha! :hilarious:

My bite is healing finally, all of the redness has gone away and the pain is now down to just some mild soreness. There is some blue discoloration which I'm not sure if it is bruising or possibly a reaction to the bite, both of which I read online can happen with BR spider bites. I'm hoping by Sunday it will have completely healed and gone away. I think it will. Luckily I "got on it" in time before it became a big skin wound or really infected. I still don't know how I came into contact with this spider for sure, but I have some ideas. But I'll never know! :D

Stars
02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Austin, so glad to hear that your bite is healing up-hope it is completely healed very soon!

Thanks everyone for your good wishes for Smokey! I can't get over how the little guy has really perked up. He seems to have a new lease on life!:thumbsup:

Troubadour
02-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Mike, I'm so glad Miles is on the mend.

I'm sorry I haven't been around for the past few days - I've been working like crazy lately! Today was my ninth shift in a row, but I have tomorrow and Monday off, so I am feeling good. The paycheck will be something to look forward to! (I'm not going to lie... I was thinking of getting GREAT James Taylor seats when I took the overtime! Now I'm prepared to pay that little bit more, because I feel like I've earned it. :))

Also, my internet has been down the past couple of days because of a fault with our landline. It all seems to be fixed now. Looking forward to catching up with the happenings on the board over the next day or two!

sodascouts
02-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Wow, it's fixed? A lot sooner than expected. Yay!! Welcome back!

Troubadour
02-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Well, broadband is back but the landline still isn't working... weird. Glad I've got internet, though!

Glennsallnighter
02-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Okay, I'm in a good mood, and I feel like showing off. :nahnah::partytime: :wink:

Here are some photos taken backstage of me at the Elvis tribute show I was involved in during December 2010/January 2011:

Here I am with "Elvis", my friend, James. If we looked sweaty and tired, it's because it was at the end of the show that night :wink:.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0599.jpg

And these are just of me showing off:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0595.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0747.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0626.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/DSCN0683.jpg

:D:D:D

You can tell I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself :wink:. It's about time, too! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Sadness, stay away from me!

I hope you don't mind this bit of self-indulgence, but I wanted to share it with all of you. I still can't believe I was involved in this show. A real fairytale for me.

Monique! They are gorgeous pictures. I LOVE the fuschia tops in the second and fourth one and you just look soooo elegant in the third one with that lbd and jewellry. James looks very well too and incredibly like Elvis!

I'm glad the show went so well. I'm sure you'll be absolutely snapped up for another show very soon! meantime, chill out here on the Border. Its great having you back here :hug:

Glennsallnighter
02-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Austin, I've been following the saga of your spider bite. I'm so glad you got it treated reasonable promptly and that your leg will be ok. Stay on those meds now..... you hear me?

Mike, I'm so glad little Miles is ok. It sounds like he had a horrible time. Its just as hard on his parents too.

Willie! I hope Dillon and Katies Hearing issues do not cause them any sgnificant problems in the future.

Lou! Delighted you've the broadband back. Its such a nuisance when it packs up!

I've been really busy. Its the 5th year I've taken in exams for one of the Boards to mark and I had 104 Maths papers of school leaving standard to mark in a week as well as my own teaching and looking after the kids!

Anyway, on Tuesday we are off to Disneyland Europe in Paris for 6 days arriving back late Sunday night. So Obviously I won't have any Border time. But I WILL be thinking od you all! :grouphug:

Thanks to everyone for the warmth of the congratulations for my parents. To be married (to each other) for over 50 years is indeed and achievement and not all couples make it. On a more serious note though I was talking to Mum tonight. Looks like Dads confusion will NOT improve and they are of the opinion that he is in the early stages of Alzheimers disease. Obviously Mum is quite upset at this diagnosis.

sodascouts
02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Have fun at EuroDisney with your family, GA! But I'm terribly sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis. How awful.

Koala
02-20-2011, 03:47 AM
GA, I'm so sorry to hear the diagnosis of your father! This must be hard for all of you!
Despite all, have fun at EuroDisney!

Peekaboo
02-20-2011, 04:53 AM
I know I've been absent from here and FB for the past couple of weeks but things have been really tough for me lately. My emotions have been all over the place and I just didn't feel like getting online at all but i think now I'm ready to talk about it and get some things off my mind. After more than 32 years of marriage my parents have split up. There's a lot that happened that I just can't quite explain here but in the end my dad walked out on my mom and he's not coming back. I know kids go through their parents divorcing when they're young and they don't really understand why. At 27 years old I know and understand exactly what happened but that doesn't make it any easier at all. Kids in this situation go through having to spend time with one parent at a time. In my case I got to have both of my parents right there with me to share moments and memories through grade school, high school, college, and beyond. I thought we were a happy family. I've spent this last week and a half feeling so sad, upset, angry, and mad. As hurt as I am right now I know my mom is hurting far worse. Even though I've tried so hard to be there for her I just don't feel like I've done enough. I've never seen her like this before and I hated leaving her to go back to work but my brother is there and mom also has her sisters right there for support. I'm just so tired. I couldn't sleep when I was there with mom because I was constantly checking on her to make sure she was sleeping and getting rest because I know she didn't sleep at all during those first 4 or 5 nights. As much I love my dad I've gone back and forth on how I feel about him and this situation. One minute I hate him and the next I miss him so much and want him to come home. I know he's not ready to face my brother and I but at the same time I'm not ready to face him either. I really don't want to see him or talk to him for a while. It's just gonna take some time before I'm ready for that.
Even going back to work has been hard. Only a few of my friends at work know what's going on but everybody else keeps asking me "What's wrong?" "Are you okay?" I would just try to fake a smile and say "Yeah, I'm fine." Last week at work was really hard but this week I'm doing a little better. I'm at least talking to coworkers and customers now. One of my supervisors said to me tonight "It's good to see you smile and laughing again." I'm trying.
As the saying goes "When it rains, it pours." On Wednesday my Uncle Mike passed away. The funeral is on Monday. I've taken that day off work and will go back home with my mom later that day when it's over.
I'm slowly getting back to my normal self. My heart still hurts but I'm trying my best to deal with things. I'll be spending a lot of time back at my hometown with my mom on my days off in the coming weeks but I'll check in when i can. I'd like to add a very special thank you to Lou. She has been such a wonderful friend to me through all of this. Her kind words and support have been such a comfort to me during this last week and a half. Thank you, Lou. :hug:

Koala
02-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Peek, I'm so sorry to hear this news, I can only imagine how do you feel at the moment, this must really be a difficult time for you! :hug:

ticky
02-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Awe Jess! *HUGS* Im so sorry! I wish I could do more for you. God bless and be strong! We're all here for you anytime you need us! Much much love and strength!

Lisa, *HUGS* Im so sorry about your Dad. I know it's been a struggle and I hope you're all strong and healthy from now on.

Mike, awe, Poor Miles! It's so hard to watch the little guys go through that and not really understanding why. I hope he's feeling better.

Well, I've been sick and it sucks. Im nearly better now, just weak as a kitten, which is REALLY annoying. Ive been working on my gourds a little as I feel better. I have a big sale in April and almost no stock left after Christmas. Last month I made some cookies and truffles that sold really well at the flea market, so I might try that again. If it works out again, I may register my kitchen and do a lot more of that.
I just bought a Kindle. Im really looking forward to getting my hands on it! (in about a week) It'll never replace a good paperback, but it WILL make it easier and faster to get the latest releases!

WalshFan88
02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Troubadour - Hopefully they will get your phone working soon! :)

GA - Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I hope Disney is enjoyable!

Peekaboo - I'm very sorry to hear that. Take care and keep your chin up.

My spider bite finally healed. All of the redness and pain is gone and now it looks like a healed scab. The bite mark is still raised and feels like a hard bump but from what I've read online, that is typical with spider bites. Looks like I won't have to go back to the doctor tomorrow afterall. This marks the end of the "Spider Bite Saga". I'm very glad about that! I feel bad about it because where I believe I got bit was a good friend of mine's house, out in his outdoor enclosure in his computer room. I was working on his computer and then noticed the bite when I got home. :(

I'm leaving here in a few to go to Walmart and pick up my new glasses. I've been putting it off but I finally went last week and ordered them. I picked the geekiest glasses in the store! :D I may or may not post a pic of myself with them in the pics thread! LOL. I'm very anxious to see what difference there is with them. I'm STILL waiting on the call to see when I go for that eye test in St. Louis. They say there is no big rush, but something to be done this year to check on the rods/cones of the eyes. Probably will go this summer I think.

MikeA
02-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Jess,

I don't know who it is harder on...the Parents or the Children. My heart goes out to you.

Brooke
02-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Jess, I'm so sorry to hear about your parents. That's just awful after being together so long. Hang in there. :hug:

Ga, I'm also sorry to hear about your Dad's diagnosis. I hope the disease will progress slowly and you can enjoy lots more time with him. Try to have a good time at Disney.

Austin, I'm glad to hear your spider bite saga is nearing an end and your are healing up nicely. Of course, you must show us a pic in your new glasses, too! I hope they help you.

Ticky, good to see you back. I hope you are feeling better.

Molly
02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
(((((Jess)))) I'm so sorry you're family is going thru such a rough time. Take it one day at a time and know that you have much love and support here.

GA -my heart breaks at your father's diagnosis. My mom is has been battling Alzheimer's for the past few years. It's really tough. Enjoy every moment with your dad, and please know that if you need to talk or vent as the months go by, you can look to me for support.

Austin, I've seen cases at the hospital I work for of people who've been bitten by a brown recluse spider. I'm so glad you got treatment quickly. Those little buggers are nasty!

ticky -hope you continue to feel stronger and better. Take care!

Prettymaid
02-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Jess, I wish I had some words of comfort for you. I'm so sorry.

Glennsallnighter
02-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Thank you to everybody for your kind words and support. As I have said Dad is only in the early stages of Alzheimers according to the Doc. He's NOT been put on meds yet as they need to weigh up the effect such meds would have on his heart (Which apparently is not 100% - another thing that came out with his doc the other day) Apparently they will put him on meds when and if the benefit outweighs the risk. But thats further down the line. I'm just hoping it doesn't progress too quickly, and that he has many more long and healthy years. But I do appreciate all the well wishes, pm's etc that I've received from everybody here. :grouphug:

Jess I'm sorry to have heard the situation you are in too. I also feel for your Mum who must be in shock. I hope in time that the situation will at least stabilise and the pain will become less raw.

Rhonda, so sorry to hear you have been ill. :hug: I hope you are over the worst and that you are feeling much stronger soon.

Austin! Glad for you that the spider bite has healed satisfactorily! Aren't antibiotics wonderful!

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 04:25 AM
TRAUMA!

Miles had to have new ear-tubes today. He did fine but when they let Verna and Amanda go back with him, he was totally inconsolable! Just bawling! He wanted to go back so he could sleep! Back to the hospital!!!!!

They gave him Versete and he'd never had it before and it really did a number on him! Talking complete nonsense! Bawling because he couldn't go back to the hospital so he could sleep. Bawling because he couldn't come to Grandma's house today. Making himself sick crying. Breaks my heart...and Verna is almost as bad as Miles! No way she could bring him here after the procedure he went through, but I think she almost did so anyway.

No consolation but Verna promised that he could come here tomorrow night and spend the night. I hope THAT goes okay. It really didn't help matters any today.

Hopefully by tonight that Versete will wear off and he can get back to normal.

I've had that stuff before, and to me, it completely destroys short term memory. I think that's what it's done to Miles. He can't remember why he's upset but he knows he's upset! From what the Doctor said, we are not sure that he was even completely knocked out when they inserted the tubes!

Poor little guy.

Awww, no, Mike! I'm so sorry to read that poor little Miles had to go through this. So horrible for a little boy. I hope he recovers soon.

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 04:28 AM
MF, I just saw your lovely pictures, and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed seeing them! Your blue dress, especially, was so pretty and I loved the necklace!

Awww, thank you so much, Stars! :hug: I'm glad you liked the pictures so much, as well as my dress necklace.

I took our kitty Smokey in yesterday for his third chemo treatment, and the oncologist said he is doing very well. I am so grateful for this, as had he not had any treatment at all, I don't think he would be with us anymore. He's a real trooper and I just pray that he continues to respond so well to the treatment.:pray:

I'm sorry that your kitty has been ill, girl. I really hope the treatment works for him.

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 04:33 AM
Poor Miles. Be sure and get that in all of his medical charts! My kids have had several surgeries for ears but they always put them out with the bubble gum mask when they were little. That's awful for Miles.

We've been through so many ear, nose and throat surgeries, Dillon's had 8-including a reconstruction of one of his ear drums for hearing loss due to so many ear infections, ruptures and tube surgeries. He still has troubles and is on a special compound drug that we can only get at one pharmacy in the area that he has to dust his ear drum with 2 times a week. Katie has had 4 surgeries and still has issues and in fact, I called the doctor Monday to set her up another appointment because she had an ear infection right before Christmas and her ear is still all congested and causing problems. The second specialist Dillon went to as a child use to do seminars on Dillon's condition called Cherubism and my SIL, who is a peds nurse, went to one one time and he used Dillon as an example of "an extreme case"-pointed at her and said "you know who I'm talking about". Ears are nothing to mess with. Most kids outgrow ear infections and problems but some never do. We are some of the lucky ones-Dillon's 20 and Katie 18 and we are still dealing with them. It's heart wrenching to see them in pain from ear infections and now dealing with hearing loss due to them.

Gosh, Willie, how traumatic for your family. I'm really sorry that your kids are still suffering from ear problems. I can relate to this, as I had countless ear infections as a child. As a five-year-old I had "grommets" (sp?) inserted into my ears, which popped out at different times, two or three years later. The earache made me miserable. Thank God I outgrew the ear infections and my hearing was not affected. In my teens I experienced earache, but of a different nature. It was caused by nerves, and only my chiropractor, who still performs this service for me, can alleviate the pain.

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Guess I didn't get the job I was hoping for, sposed to hear by mid-week about second interviews and they haven't called :headshake:...so I'm in Johnny Paycheck mode, they can take that job and :censored: it.

Deb, I'm sorry you didn't get the job. Don't give up, girl, okay? Hang in there!

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 04:36 AM
My bite is healing finally, all of the redness has gone away and the pain is now down to just some mild soreness. There is some blue discoloration which I'm not sure if it is bruising or possibly a reaction to the bite, both of which I read online can happen with BR spider bites. I'm hoping by Sunday it will have completely healed and gone away. I think it will. Luckily I "got on it" in time before it became a big skin wound or really infected. I still don't know how I came into contact with this spider for sure, but I have some ideas. But I'll never know! :D

Austin, I'm really glad you are recovering. That was a very scary experience for you!

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 04:38 AM
I'm sorry I haven't been around for the past few days - I've been working like crazy lately! Today was my ninth shift in a row, but I have tomorrow and Monday off, so I am feeling good. The paycheck will be something to look forward to! (I'm not going to lie... I was thinking of getting GREAT James Taylor seats when I took the overtime! Now I'm prepared to pay that little bit more, because I feel like I've earned it. :))

Also, my internet has been down the past couple of days because of a fault with our landline. It all seems to be fixed now. Looking forward to catching up with the happenings on the board over the next day or two!

Glad to have you back, Lou! After all your hard work, you deserve a break - and GREAT James Taylor seats! :wink: You go, girl! :grin:

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Monique! They are gorgeous pictures. I LOVE the fuschia tops in the second and fourth one and you just look soooo elegant in the third one with that lbd and jewellry. James looks very well too and incredibly like Elvis!

I'm glad the show went so well. I'm sure you'll be absolutely snapped up for another show very soon! meantime, chill out here on the Border. Its great having you back here :hug:

Awww, Lisa, thank you, my angel! :hug: :hug: :hug: I'm so glad you like the photos so much, and thank you for all the lovely compliments. I'm sure James would be very flattered at your comments about him! :wink:

I hope I will be performing again soon - it's very quiet at the moment. But I am glad to be back on The Border, and I'm enjoying everyone's cyber company and support, as well as the Glenn :heart: and Eagles eye-candy and news.

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 04:59 AM
I've been really busy. Its the 5th year I've taken in exams for one of the Boards to mark and I had 104 Maths papers of school leaving standard to mark in a week as well as my own teaching and looking after the kids!

Anyway, on Tuesday we are off to Disneyland Europe in Paris for 6 days arriving back late Sunday night. So Obviously I won't have any Border time. But I WILL be thinking od you all! :grouphug:

Thanks to everyone for the warmth of the congratulations for my parents. To be married (to each other) for over 50 years is indeed and achievement and not all couples make it. On a more serious note though I was talking to Mum tonight. Looks like Dads confusion will NOT improve and they are of the opinion that he is in the early stages of Alzheimers disease. Obviously Mum is quite upset at this diagnosis.

Lisa, firstly it's great that you're so busy with work, but even better that you'll be taking a break this week in Paris. I hope you and your family have a fantastic time!!

I'm so, so sorry about your father's diagnosis. This is so sad. I can't imagine how tough this is on you, your mom and your family. All strength to you all. :hug:

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 05:07 AM
I know I've been absent from here and FB for the past couple of weeks but things have been really tough for me lately. My emotions have been all over the place and I just didn't feel like getting online at all but i think now I'm ready to talk about it and get some things off my mind. After more than 32 years of marriage my parents have split up. There's a lot that happened that I just can't quite explain here but in the end my dad walked out on my mom and he's not coming back. I know kids go through their parents divorcing when they're young and they don't really understand why. At 27 years old I know and understand exactly what happened but that doesn't make it any easier at all. Kids in this situation go through having to spend time with one parent at a time. In my case I got to have both of my parents right there with me to share moments and memories through grade school, high school, college, and beyond. I thought we were a happy family. I've spent this last week and a half feeling so sad, upset, angry, and mad. As hurt as I am right now I know my mom is hurting far worse. Even though I've tried so hard to be there for her I just don't feel like I've done enough. I've never seen her like this before and I hated leaving her to go back to work but my brother is there and mom also has her sisters right there for support. I'm just so tired. I couldn't sleep when I was there with mom because I was constantly checking on her to make sure she was sleeping and getting rest because I know she didn't sleep at all during those first 4 or 5 nights. As much I love my dad I've gone back and forth on how I feel about him and this situation. One minute I hate him and the next I miss him so much and want him to come home. I know he's not ready to face my brother and I but at the same time I'm not ready to face him either. I really don't want to see him or talk to him for a while. It's just gonna take some time before I'm ready for that.
Even going back to work has been hard. Only a few of my friends at work know what's going on but everybody else keeps asking me "What's wrong?" "Are you okay?" I would just try to fake a smile and say "Yeah, I'm fine." Last week at work was really hard but this week I'm doing a little better. I'm at least talking to coworkers and customers now. One of my supervisors said to me tonight "It's good to see you smile and laughing again." I'm trying.
As the saying goes "When it rains, it pours." On Wednesday my Uncle Mike passed away. The funeral is on Monday. I've taken that day off work and will go back home with my mom later that day when it's over.
I'm slowly getting back to my normal self. My heart still hurts but I'm trying my best to deal with things. I'll be spending a lot of time back at my hometown with my mom on my days off in the coming weeks but I'll check in when i can. I'd like to add a very special thank you to Lou. She has been such a wonderful friend to me through all of this. Her kind words and support have been such a comfort to me during this last week and a half. Thank you, Lou. :hug:

Jess, I'm so, so sorry. :hug: I'm actually in tears right now after reading this; I really feel for you. As you know, I've been going through a tough time too, lately, so I have an idea of how you are feeling, although I can never step in your boots and have an exact understanding. I know what you mean about feeling tired. You feel you're in a hopeless and powerless situation, and that is probably one of the worst ways to feel. There's just nothing you can do to change the situation for the better. You just have to accept and adapt. So easy to say, and yet so darn difficult.

All strength to you, girl - keep your head up high. We are all here for you - and you're such a caring person. I wish all your family every strength during this sad time.

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Well, I've been sick and it sucks. Im nearly better now, just weak as a kitten, which is REALLY annoying. Ive been working on my gourds a little as I feel better. I have a big sale in April and almost no stock left after Christmas. Last month I made some cookies and truffles that sold really well at the flea market, so I might try that again. If it works out again, I may register my kitchen and do a lot more of that.
I just bought a Kindle. Im really looking forward to getting my hands on it! (in about a week) It'll never replace a good paperback, but it WILL make it easier and faster to get the latest releases!

Ticky, I'm glad you're nearly better. Just take it easy - allow your body to heal. :hug:

Peekaboo
02-21-2011, 05:11 AM
I appreciate the support, everybody. Thank you. It's been tough lately and i know that there's still a long way to go before things start to settle down and get better. As I mentioned before I'll be spending a lot of time back in my hometown with my mom in the coming weeks on my days off from work but I'll be checking in here when I can. I spoke with mom on the phone earlier today and she wants to move. She says she's just too lonesome in that big house and wants to look for a smaller and simpler place to live. She still wants to stay in the same town to help and be there when my brother and his wife have their baby in July. I'm glad to hear that she's already looking forward to things in the future, like the new baby, rather than focusing on all that has happened in the past few weeks. I know she's doing better but I'm constantly worrying about her. I'm just thankful that I have my brother and other family there to look after her when I'm not there.

The funeral for my Uncle Mike is today so I'll be there with my mom and the rest of my family. It's gonna be a tough day (again) but i'm glad that I've got my family there to lean on.

Thanks again for all of the support. It really means a lot.

Mrs Frey
02-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Strength to you, Jess - STRENGTH. And to your mom. :hug:

TimothyBFan
02-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Jess-I'm sending a great big virtual hug your way!!! Keep strong for your Mom and brother and I hope, in time, you can make amends with your father also. If you need anything, you know we are all here for ya to talk to. :grouphug:

EaglesFanatic
02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Peek, it may not seem so right now, but things will get better. Keep your head up and stay strong! As other people have already said, we're all here for you :nod:

Prettymaid
02-21-2011, 01:38 PM
You've got to love all of these Monday federal holidays, especially if you're in the banking business. :partytime: I've got the day off and am enjoying it very much! After this one we have a drought until Memorial Day. :mrgreen:

MikeA
02-21-2011, 02:08 PM
It's when you guys in Banking get holidays that my life becomes miserable <LOL> We have to do all sorts of special things to keep from blowing up from not receiving files from clients today that we normally get every day and then receiving multiple files TOMORROW!

We who handle the Production On-Call rotations DREAD having to be on-call during a holiday and that has NOTHING to do with not getting the day off!

Annabel
02-21-2011, 02:44 PM
I didn't know where to put this, so I'll stick it here. I have Eagles radio back in my life. :yay: Have tried it from time to time since it went awol, and today there it is. :thumbsup:

Jess, sorry to hear about your parents. Not something I've been through but I appreciate it can't be easy for all concerned. :sad:

GA, sorry to hear about your Dad. My Mum had a stroke about 18 months ago and her memory was affected by it. So hard to see loved ones struck down by these horrible medical conditions. :sad:

Austin, glad to hear the spider bit is better. :thumbsup:

tequila girl
02-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I didn't know where to put this, so I'll stick it here. I have Eagles radio back in my life. :yay: Have tried it from time to time since it went awol, and today there it is. :thumbsup:

Hey, Me too!! :partytime:

Annabel
02-21-2011, 03:13 PM
:thumbsup: Good to have it back isn't it Carole. :partytime:

MikeA
02-21-2011, 05:36 PM
UPDATE on Miles

Miles is fine now. It was all Versed and when that wore off almost all symptoms just went away....except for ONE. He STILL wants nothing more than to come spend all his time at our house.

Seriously, he was completely distraught when Verna had to leave and come home Thursday after the surgery. Verna, in desperation, found a squeeze ball (one of those stress relief things you squeeze to relieve tension) in her purse. She told Miles it was a "Grandma Ball". Any time he missed her so much that he couldn't stand it, he was to squeeze that ball Two Times and then Sniff it. That would make him less sad.

And IT WORKED. Amanda says that every once in a while, he'll get up from what ever it is he is doing and go back into his bedroom to squeeze and sniff his Grandma Ball and then carries on as if nothing had just happened.

Sad, but really cute. Verna is going to get a patten on that invention.

sodascouts
02-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Wow, Jess, how awful. My heart breaks for you. After all those years... all I can say is that I know you will get through it. You're strong. Still... terrible.

Stars
02-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Jess, I am so sorry to hear about your parents' splitting up, and your Uncle Mike's passing. Please know that we are here for you, and I am sending my prayers and hugs to you too.:hug:

Mrs Frey
02-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Annabel and TG, glad you hear you have Eagles radio back! :grin:

Mike, awww, what a sweet story, but sad, too. Poor little Miles. He really loves his grandma.

Annabel, I'm sorry to read about your mom's stroke. How sad.

As for me, I'm taking things one day at a time. I have issues milling about in my head, but I'm trying to handle them as best I can, while concentrating on things I must do.

Apart from running, weight training and cycling during the week, I'm preparing for the 2nd annual Elvis Festival Africa, which begins on 29 April. I'm working on ideas for new costumes, and I'm planning to go into the studio next week to begin work on a CD containing Elvis tracks for promotion at the festival. Plenty of work to do and so little time! I'll keep you all updated as to how things are progressing.

TimothyBFan
02-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Seriously, he was completely distraught when Verna had to leave and come home Thursday after the surgery. Verna, in desperation, found a squeeze ball (one of those stress relief things you squeeze to relieve tension) in her purse. She told Miles it was a "Grandma Ball". Any time he missed her so much that he couldn't stand it, he was to squeeze that ball Two Times and then Sniff it. That would make him less sad.

And IT WORKED. Amanda says that every once in a while, he'll get up from what ever it is he is doing and go back into his bedroom to squeeze and sniff his Grandma Ball and then carries on as if nothing had just happened.

Sad, but really cute. Verna is going to get a patten on that invention.

How flippin' sweet is this?!?!? You guys must be the coolest grandparents ever!!!!

MikeA
02-22-2011, 09:13 AM
We've always treated him like he was the most important thing in the world to us. Not hard to do. He IS! We've done our best to spoil the kid completely rotten and failed. Oh he's spoiled okay...but not rotten. He doesn't whine and cry to get what he wants...he MANIPULATES with great aptitude for the skill! We like to think that we inbred that skill into him. Getting back at the things my Daughter pulled on us!

Annabel
02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks, Mrs F. It's very hard on my Mum as although she is now 88, she has always been very active and now it frustrates her that she can't do anything except sit in her special chair. Makes us lot not want to end up like that I can tell you. We're off to see her on Saturday. She's about 60 miles away near 2 of my sisters, so we get to see her every 4-6 weeks. Mind you she doesn't remember when or if we visit half the time. :(

Mike, I like your thinking about getting back at your daughter. I'm looking forward to that stage myself. ;-) Especially with DD2. :D 2nd day of half term and DD2 is bored already. Just making chocolate cake with her. Roll on summer hols. :stunned:

Mrs Frey
02-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Awww, Annabel, so tough, so tough. I feel for you and your mom.

Mike, you and Verna are wonderful grandparents!

Koala
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Mike, I must agree, you and Verna are fantastic grandparends!

Anabell, Im so sorry to hear thatnews from your mother!

Tomorrow I have unexpectedly a day off! 3 of 4 classes my school are on a 3-day trip and today my boss meant to me I should make a nice day tomorrow and come back until Thursday! Very nice from her!

sodascouts
02-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Went to the doctor after I suddenly caught a bad cough and felt dizzy, achy, and feverish. Hello, bronchitis. :( :( :(

I have to try to go to work tomorrow if at all possible. I have several student meetings on the docket. I almost never get sick - the last time I missed work due to illness was 2006. I have gotten to where I never even leave room for sick days in my class schedule.

Mistake.

I'm going to bed now although it will probably mean I'll be up in the wee hours. It's times like these when you want a man around to take care of you!

missssssseeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaabbbbbblllllllll llllle

Prettymaid
02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I have a man and I still have to take care of myself when I'm sick. I guess I've got one of those "c'mon and suck it up" kind of guys. ;)

Feel better Nancy. And it's not the end of the world if you miss a day of work. You can't help it if you get sick.

Troubadour
02-23-2011, 05:19 AM
It's times like these when you want a man around to take care of you!

Yup - I know that feeling! I'm sorry you have bronchitis, Nanc, that sucks. Cathy is right, though. If you're sick, you're sick. Everyone needs a little time to recouperate. Meetings will have to be rearranged. Look after YOU! :hug:

Mrs Frey
02-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Koala - I hope you are enjoying your day off! :grin:

Soda - awww, girl, I'm sorry you feel so bad. I know how that feels - I've had bronchitis more times than I care to remember. Ugh. As Lou says, take care of YOU! :hug:

Stars
02-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Soda-hope you feel better soon. I remember I used to have bouts of bronchitis when I was in college. Take good care of yourself.

Koala, have a great day off!

Stars
02-23-2011, 09:27 AM
I just noticed I am now "stuck on the Border"! In honor of my new status, I would like to have an Eagles T-shirt giveaway. Please PM me if you don't have any Eagles T shirts. I would love it to go to a fan who doesn't have any shirts yet. Sorry I must limit it to the USA.
Good luck!:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
02-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Congrats Stars!!! You're now stuck with the rest of us here!! And that's really nice of you to give that away!!!

Soda--GET WELL SOON!!!! Not fun being sick for sure. Bronchitis is horrible stuff. I have a theory on the whole "I never get sick thing". You work with kids (young adults) who a freakin' carriers of EVERYTHING. I believe you become immune after awhile from stuff. I work with kids also and seldom get sick and when I do, it's usually something mild and easy to deal with.

Koala
02-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Congrats Stars on 1500 posts!:) How nice from you to give a eagles T-shirt away!

Soda, hope you feel better!

Thanks ladies, my day off was nice, I have slept longer had a good breakfast and made a really long walk with Lucky,nothing exciting, however, I found it great!

Brooke
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Stars, congrats on being Stuck on the Border! It's a great place to be stuck if you have to be stuck anywhere! Keep on posting! And how nice of you to have an Eagles shirt giveaway! Eagles fans are the best! :thumbsup:

Soda, get well soon girl! Take care. I hate being sick and am very superstitious about talking about good health. I don't. My hubby thinks I'm silly, but hey! :shrug:

sodascouts
02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Well, I decided to stay home from work after all, but I'm having my students call me so we can still have our "meetings."

At least wracking coughs and fever don't get me off the Border. lol

Stars - congrats!!!! We're the lucky ones that you've gotten stuck here. ;) How kind of you to give away a T-shirt!

MikeA
02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Just make sure you cover your fingers if you cough Soda.

Hope you get over this illness soon.

sodascouts
02-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Just make sure you cover your fingers if you cough Soda.

lol. Too late! ;)

MikeA
02-23-2011, 01:27 PM
cough, cough

So I see! <LOL>

EagleLady
02-23-2011, 03:44 PM
I just got a couple of teeth pulled WITHOUT Anesthesia. Boy that hurt like a you know what. They just gave me a shot of numbing medicine.

Brooke
02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Yikes, EL! I hope you recover from that quickly. I do not like dentists. :nope:

Stars
02-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the congrats, everyone! I couldn't think of a better place to be stuck!:thumbsup:

Mrs Frey
02-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Stars, congratulations on your Border status! We've loved having you here, and long may your presence continue! :thumbsup:

EL, rather you than me. :shock: I can imagine how painful that was. Take it easy!

Prettymaid
02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Stars, in the words of Huey Lewis, I am happy to be stuck with you! Congratulations!

Soda, hope you're feeling better.

EL...OUCH!

Koala, glad you enjoyed your day off.

Stars
02-24-2011, 08:45 AM
PM, I remember that Huey Lewis song-I always liked it! Well, I am happy to be stuck here with you, and everyone else too!

EL, I am glad they finally gave you that numbing medicine-that must have hurt like crazy! I remember, as a child, having every cavity filled without the benefit of anesthesia. To quote one of my favorite bands, Green Day, "Give me novacaine"!!

Koala, it sounds like you had a good day off-good for you! I also had off yesterday, but it's back to the salt mines today!:laugh:

Peekaboo
02-25-2011, 06:49 AM
You guys have no idea how much your support and kind words mean to me. It helps so much to know that I have so much love and support from you all. You guys are awesome!! I'm doing my best to stay focused for work and to be able to be there for my mom and support her through this but I must admit that I feel so lost at times and I'm sometimes forgetting little things here and there. I think apart of it is my lack of rest. I'm just so busy with driving back to my hometown to be with my mom to help her with whatever she needs on my days off and then driving back to where I live to go back to work. My hometown and where I live is 90 miles apart. It was 2 1/2 weeks ago when this all happened but it's been a long 2 1/2 weeks. It really feels like it's been at least 2 months. I'm just so tired. I'm getting my sleep but it's restless sleep. I wake up every 20-30 minutes every night. I've tried taking some of my mom's sleeping pills but they didn't work that well for me. I woke up about every 2 hours when I took them. My mom is finally getting some rest. I think all of her sleepless nights are finally catching up with her. I don't know when it's all gonna catch up to me but I can't wait for the night that I will be able to sleep without tossing and turning and waking up and rolling my eyes at the clock because it was just 30 minutes ago when i looked at it last.

I haven't been able to reply to much on The Border lately but I will do my best to catch up on everything as soon as things settle down for me and I get more time. Know that I'm thinking of you all and I pray for nothing but the best for each of you.

I almost forgot. My cousin had her baby boy early Tuesday morning. I'd like to introduce to you all the newest addition to my family, Maddox Lee. He was 20 in. and weighed in at 7 lbs and 15 oz.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/DSCN1603.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/DSCN1604.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/DSCN1610.jpg

Prettymaid
02-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Jess, it's nice to hear from you. I can only imagine how tired you must be. I have heard that Ibuprofen PM sometimes helps people who don't normally have sleeping issues sleep better if you take it just once in awhile. I keep it for when I might need it, but honestly I don't have too much trouble sleeping. It's nice to hear that your looking after your mother, but remember your own health too. Make sure your getting the things done that you need to do, then you'll be in better shape to help your family.

Oh, and welcome Maddox! Those are great pictures of him.

TimothyBFan
02-25-2011, 09:16 AM
I've been doing a lot of thinking about you Jess. I know you were having some issues with colds and tonsils earlier this winter so do take care and don't get yourself down again. That won't do anyone any good. Hugs to ya and keep the faith!!!

Brooke
02-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Peek, it's good to hear from you. Take care and hang in there. I'll keep you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers.

Maddox is a sweetie. Thanks for sharing his pic with us.

Stars
02-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Peek, I will also keep you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad to hear that your mom is getting more rest now.

Thanks for sharing the pics of little Maddox-he is just adorable!:)

sodascouts
02-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Maddox is adorable and like everyone else, I hope you can get some rest, Jess. It can't be safe driving exhausted, you know. Be careful.

Well, I don't know what's been happening to me but after I last posted, I got even worse, barely able to get out of bed, much less get online. I got somewhat better yesterday, but am still wracked with coughs - and if that weren't bad enough, a tornado came through the area last night and knocked out power for several hours.

I'm no longer dizzy, but I'm still coughing constantly and throwing up every once in a while. NANCY NOT HAPPY. I will have to go back to the doctor tomorrow and ask her why that medicine she gave me isn't worth a crap, much less a $50 copay.

Koala
02-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Maddox is a very cute little boy!

Prettymaid
02-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Nancy, I hate to hear that you're not feeling well. I'm glad you're going back to the doctor. Glad your power is back on and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Troubadour
02-26-2011, 03:45 PM
I hope you start to feel much better soon, Nancy. Sounds miserable!

Jess, thinking about you. Hope you get a good night's sleep soon. Congratulations on the birth of Maddox - he is adorable!

Stars
02-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Nancy, I hope you feel better soon too. Good to get back to the doctor. A friend of mine has been sick off and on for weeks with a sinus infection, and she is heading back to the doctor next week too.

Hubby and I are heading out to see country singer Jimmy Wayne this evening. I don't know his music very well, but from what I have heard and read about him he's a great guy!:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
02-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Hope you had a good time Stars!

sodascouts
02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm not familiar with Jimmy Wayne but I hope you had fun too!

Troubadour
02-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Hope you had fun, Carla!

Molly
02-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Nancy, I hope you feel better soon too. Good to get back to the doctor. A friend of mine has been sick off and on for weeks with a sinus infection, and she is heading back to the doctor next week too.

Hubby and I are heading out to see country singer Jimmy Wayne this evening. I don't know his music very well, but from what I have heard and read about him he's a great guy!:thumbsup:

Love Jimmy Wayne and his music! He has such an amazing voice, and an amazing life story. You'll leave feeling very inspired.

Check out his Meet Me Halfway website (see my sig line below). He's working tirelessly to help homeless teens and kids in foster care. I've been involved with his organization for nearly a year now.

Mrs Frey
02-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Jess, little Maddox is very cute! Thanks for sharing those photos with us. I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble sleeping - I can just imagine how tired and troubled you must feel. So tough, so tough... All strength to you, girl - just don't give up!

Nancy, girl, hugs to you! I hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Carla, I hope you had a super time at the Jimmy Wayne concert. I must admit that I don't know his music, but he sounds like a first class human being.

Stars
02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the good wishes for the Jimmy Wayne concert!! It was a very inspiring concert, just like Molly said! He is indeed a first class human being, as MF said! If you want to read all about what he is doing to help homeless teens and foster kids, just click on the link in Molly's sig line. He is a very special person, and what a performer. I really enjoyed his concert, and hope to see him again sometime.:thumbsup:

Brooke
02-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Soda, I'm so sorry to hear you are not feeling well and your meds aren't working, besides them being so expensive. A real bummer for sure. Get well soon and that's an order! lol

Stars, glad you had a good time at Jimmy Wayne's concert. Sounds like he is a really great person. I've heard some of his songs and a bit about him, too.

Stars
02-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Brooke, he really is quite a special person. I admire him so much for what he is doing to help those kids. And his songs are really good-love his voice too! I'm so glad I had the opportunity to see him! A friend had invited hubby and I to go, and I'm really glad we did!:nod:

Molly
02-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Brooke, he really is quite a special person. I admire him so much for what he is doing to help those kids. And his songs are really good-love his voice too! I'm so glad I had the opportunity to see him! A friend had invited hubby and I to go, and I'm really glad we did!:nod:

Glad you had such a great time! He really connects with the crowd.

Speaking of which, did he crowd surf like he's fond of doing? The lucky ones get a handful of butt as he's passed overhead. The unlucky ones can't hold him up and he (and they) end up on the floor. I've heard of both happening.

I think I'd be OK with either scenario...:angel::thumbsup:

Troubadour
02-28-2011, 04:21 PM
LOL Molly!

MikeA
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Ahhhh, for a week of almost Summer temps in Las Vegas. We're leaving sub 40* temps here in Wichita though right now, it is 57* with no wind and clear skies, but it sure HASN'T been like that here and isn't supposed to be for the next week.

Vegas is predicted to be 68* Almost Every Day we're there! Leaving out in about an hour but taking notebook with me. I'll check in every once in a while.

Soda, get over it already! Sick ain't no fun at all!

I had a real scare Friday myself. Toothache. Bad Throbbing one! Called the dentist Saturday and he called out amoxicillin with 20 pain caps to last through the week. Miracle: 48 hours of pain and only 16 hours after taking the first antibiotic and the toothache disappeared as suddenly as it hit and hasn't come back. Hope it holds through the week. Worst thing I can imagine is having a bad toothache while trying to have fun 1500 miles away in good weather!

Stars
02-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Molly, Jimmy did "crowd surf" for a bit, and this time they did hold him up, so they were the lucky ones!;)

Mrs Frey
03-01-2011, 04:19 AM
Stars, I'm so glad you had such a great time at the Jimmy Wayne concert!

Mike, I'm sorry you've had to endure such bad toothache, but I'm glad the antibiotics have sorted it. Let's hope it holds out while you're on holiday! Enjoy yourself!!

Prettymaid
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Hope you're having fun (and winning) Mike!

WalshFan88
03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Stars - Glad you enjoyed the concert!

Mike - Hope you are feeling better and are enjoying Vegas!

Brooke
03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Good luck in Vegas, Mike! Hope you win lots of http://bestsmileys.com/money/5.gif and that the toothache stays away!

MikeA
03-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Two out of three ain't bad. I am having fun in Vegas. I have no longer a toothache. I am not winning lots of money! In fact, I'm almost dead even for one night a and one day out here so technically, I'm winning....I guess :worried:

But when we got here last night, I realized that I'd left my antibiotic at home. That caught me out in a lie with the dentist. I'm supposed to take it three times a day for a week. It wouldn't have been so bad except that I'd told him that we were flying out Sunday. I really didn't want to go to the dentist on Monday just before flying out here. So he prescribed me the antibiotic and 20 hits of Lortab for the pain. He was wondering why I forgot the antibiotic and didn't forget the pain meds. I replied...."Think about it man!" He laughed and called out a new scrip of antibiotic.

I guess I'll have to go in to see him when we get back home.

Mrs Frey
03-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Oh dear, Mike! :lol: You poor thing. Well, I reckon the doctor was very understanding!

jdubfan
03-02-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm over-the-moon happy today. My closest cousin was facing a possible diagnosis of inflamatory breast cancer but DID NOT receive it!!! She is facing an uphill battle with drug-resistant staff and strep, but it's not cancer!! Thanks to the powers that be! I was out when she called with the good news last night. When I got her message I scared the crap out of my dog by yelling and dancing in the dining room. So when I called her back I told her she had to apologize to my dog , heh heh. Finally some good news in my life, I'm so glad it was this! :rockon:

Mrs Frey
03-02-2011, 10:20 AM
That's fantastic news, Deb! I'm so happy for you and your cousin! Excuse my ignorance, though, but what is staff and strep? :blush:

Prettymaid
03-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm so happy to hear the good news about your cousin, Deb. I hope her health improves quickly.

MikeA
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Deb, while those are two very serious infections to overcome, they certainly have a better prognosis than Breast Cancer!

What is it that y'all are fond of saying: "Happy Naked Dancing?"

Brooke
03-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Wonderful news, jdf! I'm so happy for you and your friend!

Koala
03-02-2011, 11:21 AM
jdubfan, I'm really glad to hear this good news about your cousin!

jdubfan
03-02-2011, 12:28 PM
That's fantastic news, Deb! I'm so happy for you and your cousin! Excuse my ignorance, though, but what is staff and strep? :blush:

Probly if I'd spell it right....Staph and strep are bacterial infections. She's worked as an RN for many years, I don't know if that's part of it or not. We all have these organisms in our body I guess, and they just look for a loss of immunity to attack. Thanks everyone, I've been so worried, they made her wait 2 weeks for her diagnosis, can't imagine how long it was for her. Definitely a Naked Happy Dance Day!! She lives "out at the end of the Earth" on the shores of Washington.... beautiful, great place to visit, but so far away from Indiana. I miss her tremendously.

sodascouts
03-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Wonderful about your cousin, Deb!

WalshFan88
03-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Great news about your cousin Jdubfan!

Mrs Frey
03-03-2011, 04:40 AM
Probly if I'd spell it right....Staph and strep are bacterial infections. She's worked as an RN for many years, I don't know if that's part of it or not. We all have these organisms in our body I guess, and they just look for a loss of immunity to attack. Thanks everyone, I've been so worried, they made her wait 2 weeks for her diagnosis, can't imagine how long it was for her. Definitely a Naked Happy Dance Day!! She lives "out at the end of the Earth" on the shores of Washington.... beautiful, great place to visit, but so far away from Indiana. I miss her tremendously.

Thanks for this, Deb. Don't worry, even if you'd spelt it correctly, I still would not have known! :blush:

I can imagine how you feel, being so far away from your cousin, especially during this tough time she's just been through. All strength to both of you!

MikeA
03-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Starting our third day here in Nevada. The town is beginning to get a little nuttier than it usually is. There is a big NASCAR race here Sunday and I think every car on the road has a driver who is living a fantasy as a winning driver!

Verna and I drove down to Laughlin (about 1.5 hours away from Vegas) to cash in on offers that Verna had accumulated (two free nights, one at Golden Nugget and the other at Harrah's along with $100 in cash and free buffets). There were seven Troopers with cars pulled over for speeding (I assume) on the way down and at least that many on the way back!

Our rental car is a Hyundai (sounds like Sunday <LOL>) and it is just about the bottom of the line economy car! It is an automatic with overdrive and almost has enough power to get out of its own way! No cruise control so staying on the speed limit was stressful. I'll NEVER have a car that doesn't have cruise again! No power windows nor does it have power locks. But what can you expect for $65 for an entire week?

I think we are going to try to find that Pawn Shop that is featured on "Pawnshop Heros" that has been such a "sensation" on TV here lately. Hope they have a good selection of guitars that have been pawned!

Prettymaid
03-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Mike, do you mean Pawn Stars? I love that show! Tell Rick, Old Man, Corey and Chumlee I said hi! :wave:

MikeA
03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Yeah, you got it right Cathy, "Pawn Stars". I've watched it several times. I think some of the "dickerings" may be staged for drama, but still, there are some pretty interesting relics coming through the shop....both material and Human!

They remind me somewhat of of the American Chopper series. Mikey and the grandson are a lot alike <LOL> I think I like the Old Man best.

sodascouts
03-03-2011, 04:02 PM
I've seen that show a couple times. It's interesting!

You be careful amongst all those crazy drivers, Mike!

MikeA
03-03-2011, 08:32 PM
It's really getting crazy today. Raceday is Sunday and town is filling up. Las Vegas Blvd (The Strip) is bumper to bumper and 15, 95 and 515 are all snarled up. My toy car is staying in the garage tonight! I might try for Pawn Stars tomorrow in the morning before the drunk idiots sleep off their hangovers!

TimothyBFan
03-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Get Chumlee's autograph for me!!! :hilarious: He's such a dork!

MikeA
03-04-2011, 12:20 PM
We'll likely get there and find a $10 cover charge refundable on purchase. Autographs $25. <LOL>

Seriously, I'll let you all know what the scene is a that Pawn Shop if we do go there.

MikeA
03-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Got some really bad news today while playing Blackjack. Verna called and told me to either leave the table or call her back. Her Dad had been coming down every day to feed our fish and cat. He had called her and told her that "Chuck" had died! He wasn't sick. No symptoms at all. Yesterday when Clair fed him, he was fine, still eating and drinking (and pooping!) Clair said he found him on our bed and he thought he was just asleep.

That's a tough one for me. That cat was in my lap if I was watching TV. In a rocking chair right outside my office if I was working. Or curled up in the crook of my legs if I was sleeping. Still not over the shell shock. Doesn't seem real yet.

Prettymaid
03-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Aw shoot Mike, that's too bad. That's a call you never want to get when you're on vacation.

jdubfan
03-04-2011, 11:20 PM
So sorry about your pet, sounds like Chuck was a good companion. I don't know which is worse, the shock of sudden loss or watching them in pain and suffering.

WalshFan88
03-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Got some really bad news today while playing Blackjack. Verna called and told me to either leave the table or call her back. Her Dad had been coming down every day to feed our fish and cat. He had called her and told her that "Chuck" had died! He wasn't sick. No symptoms at all. Yesterday when Clair fed him, he was fine, still eating and drinking (and pooping!) Clair said he found him on our bed and he thought he was just asleep.

That's a tough one for me. That cat was in my lap if I was watching TV. In a rocking chair right outside my office if I was working. Or curled up in the crook of my legs if I was sleeping. Still not over the shell shock. Doesn't seem real yet.

So sorry to hear this Mike.. :( I lost my dog last September and it was the hardest thing in the world for me. I understand how you feel completely.

Take Care.

sodascouts
03-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Oh no Mike! I'm so sorry. :(

Koala
03-05-2011, 03:04 AM
Mike, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news!

MikeA
03-05-2011, 03:04 AM
I'm really not a cat person...but we've had cats from the very first year we were married. We've lost several over the years and none are "easy". And, cats that won't have anything to do with anyone else will crawl up in my lap. Can't imagine why. Can't help be become attached to them and wouldn't want to be any other way. I'm kinda refusing to even contemplate it. It'll hit once we get back home tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the condolences.

MikeA
03-05-2011, 11:56 AM
My nickel is spent on internet connection for the day out here in Vegas. Looking forward to a 3 hour flight back home.

Now that should be interesting. There is a 30* temp difference between Vegas and Wichita....and we don't have clothes with us for 40* temp when we land! It's going to be a cold experience from the terminal to our car. Hope it STARTS!

I will be great to get back home!

Prettymaid
03-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Safe trip Mike! :wave:

I have to give my husband props. He came home from work yesterday not feeling well (the beginnings of a cold) yet stayed at work the whole day, and today he is painting the kitchen! For those of you familiar with The Odd Couple, he is the Felix to my Oscar, which sounds wonderful, ladies but can sometimes be a drag. :eyebrow: :hilarious:

tequila girl
03-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Hehe I loved the Odd Couple! :thumbsup: :hilarious:

Troubadour
03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I am so sorry, Mike. :hug: After getting Maisie, I can already understand the real connection that we build with our pets... I'll be thinking of you.

Stars
03-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Mike, so sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty. My hubby and I have had cats since we've been married, and have lost several over the years. It is never easy to lose a beloved pet. My condolences to you and Verna.

MikeA
03-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Made it home. Flight was actually early. I think everyone was heading OUT to Vegas today for the big NASCAR RACE tomorrow. We made record time by taking 15 South rather than taking our "secret backroads". There was absolutely no congestion on the freeway and turning in the car barely more than a stop and drop.

I still haven't been able to sit in my recliner. May be a while. Just won't be the same without that cat wiggling his way between my legs or head-bumping me.

On the way back, on the plane, Verna and I talked about getting another cat real soon. AND I think we are going to get a dog too. We'll have to get them both from a litter or at least really young so we can bring them up together. It is really difficult to introduce two animals when one has established domain rights in a home. When we got Chuck, we didn't see him for several days. Finally we had to put up a "child-gate" in our bedroom so Chuck could at least relax under the bet....away from Buckwheat! The problem was that Chuck ran from Buckwheat and that was a trigger for the dog and instinct took over. But she wouldn't jump over that baby gate even though she easily could have. She knew it was a "don't go no further" when that gate was up.

I'm thinking a small dog this time. I'll have to mount chicken wire on the lower part of our wrought-iron fence to keep the puppy in the yard, but that's not a big deal.

sodascouts
03-05-2011, 11:22 PM
I have to give my husband props. He came home from work yesterday not feeling well (the beginnings of a cold) yet stayed at work the whole day, and today he is painting the kitchen! For those of you familiar with The Odd Couple, he is the Felix to my Oscar, which sounds wonderful, ladies but can sometimes be a drag. :eyebrow: :hilarious:

Good for him! He's got his priorities straight. ;)

And Mike - I have found getting a new pet to be very therapeutic after the loss of one.

tequila girl
03-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Mike i'm really sorry to hear about Chuck, I know it's such a hard thing to lose a much loved pet.....I've lost many over the years :-(

...but on a lighter note, if you and Verna feel ready to get another kitty I think getting a puppy at the same time is a brilliant idea! :thumbsup:

Annabel
03-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Sorry to hear about Chuck Mike. :( But here's to a new kitty and puppy too. :yay:

TimothyBFan
03-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Just now seeing this----Mike, I'm also very sorry for your loss. Been there, done that many times over and it's never easy! How old was Chuck? Take comfort in the fact it sounds as he didn't suffer and died peacefully in his sleep. Good luck to you both if you do decide to proceed with getting a couple new family members.

MikeA
03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Chuck was young for a cat Willie. Somewhere around 7 or 8 years old.

Brooke
03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Awwww, Mike, I'm so sorry to hear about Chuck. I've had and lost many cats. It's hard. Good luck on choosing new pets. Sounds like you'll be busy! I'm still having fun with Beyonce and Fishsticks. She trys to ignore him, but he insists on following her around and then hissing and growling at her if he gets too close. We have had a couple close calls with fights. They are left to it when we're all gone and so far neither has killed the other!

Willie, good job on training hubby! :thumbsup:

We had a fast trip to Branson this weekend. (5 hour trip) Our son's apartment got rented out (thankfully), but the people wanted possession on the 10th, so we had to make a fast trip down there to clean it out and bring the rest of his stuff home. We left after his work Saturday night at 8 and got back with a truck loaded like The Beverly Hillbillies at 8 last night! He's bringing his truck, loaded the same way, today. He had to stay over to do a walk through this morning. And he said he didn't have much! :rolleyes: The things we do for our kids! But at least now it's done! :sigh:

sodascouts
03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a heroic effort, Brooke! ;) Lucky for him he has such supportive parents!

Mrs Frey
03-08-2011, 06:26 AM

I'm so sorry, Mike... I know how you feel... I still cry when I'm reminded of my dog that I lost in 2003, after he was with us for 15 years.

Mrs Frey
03-08-2011, 06:36 AM
We had a fast trip to Branson this weekend. (5 hour trip) Our son's apartment got rented out (thankfully), but the people wanted possession on the 10th, so we had to make a fast trip down there to clean it out and bring the rest of his stuff home. We left after his work Saturday night at 8 and got back with a truck loaded like The Beverly Hillbillies at 8 last night! He's bringing his truck, loaded the same way, today. He had to stay over to do a walk through this morning. And he said he didn't have much! :rolleyes: The things we do for our kids! But at least now it's done! :sigh:

Phew, Brooke! I got tired just reading that! :wink: Well done!!

Stars
03-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Brooke, I know what you mean! We helped our son move last June, and now he's moving again in April! Like you said, "the things we do for our kids"!

Today I am going back to the vet's for Smokey's continual chemo treatments. The hardest part is getting him into the pet carrier-he always knows where he is going, and it's a struggle!:help:

TimothyBFan
03-09-2011, 09:37 AM
You guys are scaring me. Our son has signed a lease along with 5 other guys on a house off campus starting in August for the next 2 years. So not looking forward to having to move just the bit of stuff like his bed, desk, etc down there. And just know in 2 years we get to bring it all back and probably move it again when he decides where he'll be doing his graduate studies. I thought it was suppose to get easier as they get older. At least if our daughter goes overseas next fall, all we have to do is ship everything! :hilarious:

Good luck Smokey!!!

MikeA
03-09-2011, 10:15 AM
I posted something about this over in the Petmania thread. It is not etched in granite yet, but I think that the Prison folks are coming out Friday afternoon to bring the two Rat Terriers to our house to see if there is a way we can take one of them.

I wish I had time to get "chicken wire" strung along our iron fence to completely enclose our back yard. There is only one section of it...the rest is wood privacy fence. But the Rat I am most interested in is only 11 pounds so is a very small dog....smaller than our cat was and the cat didn't even slow down going between the bars in that fence!

I fear that we'll have to take one of the dogs. I mean, after all, it will probably be Prison Guards bringing the dogs out and it is around 40 miles that they will have traveled to bring them to our house. If we don't take one of them, I fear that they will escort me to their place of business!

Annabel
03-09-2011, 10:37 AM
:wave: Been nice chatting with you then Mike :rofl:

Could do with borrowing one of these actually as my DD saw a rat outside in the street bushes the other day. :roll: Good luck with the men and the dogs.

Brooke
03-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Brooke, I know what you mean! We helped our son move last June, and now he's moving again in April! Like you said, "the things we do for our kids"!

Today I am going back to the vet's for Smokey's continual chemo treatments. The hardest part is getting him into the pet carrier-he always knows where he is going, and it's a struggle!:help:

Good luck to Smokey, Stars. As far as getting him in the carrier, we talked about this a week or so ago. Hold him by the scruff of the neck and he will go limp and you can lift him in to the end of the carrier. Works for me every time!

You guys are scaring me. Our son has signed a lease along with 5 other guys on a house off campus starting in August for the next 2 years. So not looking forward to having to move just the bit of stuff like his bed, desk, etc down there. And just know in 2 years we get to bring it all back and probably move it again when he decides where he'll be doing his graduate studies. I thought it was suppose to get easier as they get older. At least if our daughter goes overseas next fall, all we have to do is ship everything! :hilarious:

You're just getting started, Willie! But maybe you'll be luckier than me! lol

One year when my daughter was in college, she had to move out of one apartment one night and could not move in to the new one until the next day! She had to store everything at a friend's overnight! Ridiculous! :dizzy:

Stars
03-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Brooke, thanks for the tip-I'll have to try it next time he goes in!
Smokey got a great report from his oncologist today-she said he is really responding well to the chemo! We are so grateful!:yay:

MikeA
03-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Smokey got a great report from his oncologist today-she said he is really responding well to the chemo! We are so grateful!

That's tremendous good news Carla!:nod:

sodascouts
03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Good to hear about Smokey responding well!

As for all you folks having to deal with relocation of progeny and their possessions... good luck! lol

Koala
03-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Glad to hear the good news from Smokey!

Stars
03-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks, everyone! We are grateful to have such a wonderful doctor looking after Smokey. In the beginning, she said it could go either way, and the fact that he is responding so well is the best news ever!!:nod:

Annabel
03-10-2011, 10:21 AM
:yay: Great news. Keep it going Smokey. :blueblob:

Glennsallnighter
03-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Good luck Smokey!!!

Maybe you won't have to Willie! Most student accomodation in these parts (Ireland, UK, Western Europe) comes furnished, whether its provided by the college or independent landlords. I know we have to supply beds, tables and chairs, storage units, sofas..... pretty much everything in the house we rent out. The students just supply stuff like bed linen and maybe a few cushions or pictures which are available to buy locally at a far cheaper price than shipping would cost!

Mike, I'm so sorry to hear of your pet woes. I hope you'll find another one soon.

Lou! Glad that Maisie is settling in so well.

Carla, thats wonderful news about Smokey. I hope she continues to do as well and that she is back to her full health soon.

TimothyBFan
03-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Maybe you won't have to Willie! Most student accomodation in these parts (Ireland, UK, Western Europe) comes furnished, whether its provided by the college or independent landlords. I know we have to supply beds, tables and chairs, storage units, sofas..... pretty much everything in the house we rent out. The students just supply stuff like bed linen and maybe a few cushions or pictures which are available to buy locally at a far cheaper price than shipping would cost!

We've been told this is true, including the bed linens with a laundry service. Very cool!! But the cost of shipping her wardrobe alone should set us back a couple weeks salary. :hilarious:

On this same conversation--kinda. We've been kinda worried about our insurance-will she be covered? Will we have to change the policy? Etc... We found out a couple weeks ago that with the student visa tier that she will apply for, she will be eligible for the free national healthcare. WOW---what a relief that is! It still amazes me how Europe can do that and we here in the US still have to sell a vital organ and our first born to get any kind of healthcare insurance.

Now on to trying to figure out a phone service that we won't have to pay per international text for the "texting queen". I want to stick with Verizon but not sure what to do. We are eligible this week for upgrades on all 5 of our phones but what next. Plenty of research to do on this I guess.

tequila girl
03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Willie, have you looked into Skype?

Annabel
03-11-2011, 10:05 AM
I was going to suggest the same as Carole. I know one of my friend's uses Skype from the UK to Australia to speak with her parents. :)

TimothyBFan
03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah-the new phones will have skype. I just worry about her texting--she's the master texter and I wish there was a plan for that so she can stay in contact with all her friends who may not have skype.

sodascouts
03-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I think the 'texting queen' might have to learn to use alternate forms of communication! As terrifying as that is for her to comprehend now, eventually, she'll get used to it.

jdubfan
03-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm the last member of my family that still lives on land that was my grandparents farm. When I was very young, there was a picture taken of me & my grandpa near a huge oak tree. We were really close, and he passed when I was 6, so I always felt cheated on our time together.
When I divorced, my mom gave a couple acres and I put a house near that tree. A couple of Thanksgivings ago, while I was washing dishes, I watched the tree fall down. No storm, wind, nothing. I was devastated. I wanted the legacy of my "Grandpa tree" to live on, so I had it milled. It was so large in diameter, I had to go to a pallet mill where they had a big enough blade. It was Amish, horses were harnessed to a frame and pulled the log thru the saw area, it was really neat to watch. Then it went to a kiln to dry it out, then on to an Amish friend of mine that makes hand-made furniture. Today I got the first piece, a bureau for my niece and her husband. I thought it turned out great.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5215/5518447591_7ba613133c.jpg

The grain shows up so pretty and it's not even finished yet. I think my grandpa'd be grinning on it! Next is a hope chest for my 6 yo grand-niece.
Thanks grandpa tree.

tequila girl
03-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Awww What a wonderful (but, sad) story, that piece of furniture is beautiful, something for your family to treasure for many, many years to come! :)

sodascouts
03-12-2011, 06:34 AM
That's a poignant story, Deb. I'm glad you were able to keep the "Grandpa tree" alive.

MikeA
03-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Deb,

There could be no greater monument to your Grandfather's memory than a beautiful piece of furniture that has been crafted by caring hands. Surely it will become a family heirloom, as will the rest of the pieces the woodworkers release from hiding in that tree!

What a wonderful idea.

Brooke
03-12-2011, 09:23 AM
jdf, that is beautiful now and will be more so when finished. Great idea and what a sweet story.

Koala
03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
jdf, what a great but sad story!It's a wonderful idea to honour your grandpa. The furniture is beautiful!

Last Tuesday my Dad had birthday, he became 60.
Today we have celebrated with family and friends, we were 40 people. It was a very nice day, I saw some of the guests the last time to the funerals of my grandparents, in the last year, it was really nice to see them to a gratifying event!
We had a big refreshment bar, I have eaten definitively too much!LOL

Glennsallnighter
03-13-2011, 06:24 AM
I think the 'texting queen' might have to learn to use alternate forms of communication! As terrifying as that is for her to comprehend now, eventually, she'll get used to it.

That IS a possibility!

Another one is that she buy a phone on which she can download MSN or she and her friends get a BlackBerry each which has its own chat (IM system). Thats what Lou and I do! Its about €10 a month extra for pretty much unlimited downloads and really is no different from texting. Anyone with an internet enabled mobile can download MSN for free and can chat away accordingly. There's also facebook chat, and again, most phones can take the Facebook app.

As for the wardrobe (I presume you mean her clothes), again Katie would possibly be cheaper travelling light and buying her clothes in the UK. With clmate differences etc she'd be better placed to see what in fact she needs. There are many v reasonable retailers. When she's done then she could just send them off to charity. It'd save as much as shipping. And be a LOT less stressful!
WOW! JDF, that chest is lovely. I'm sure it brings back so many memories. I'm sure your late grandfather is delighted with your use of his tree!

Koala, congrats to your Dad. Its great to have a happy occasion for your family to celebrate after the funerals last year.

Annabel
03-14-2011, 06:26 AM
She could become the 'Queen of Primark' maybe.:laugh: All of her wardrobe for less than £50 or £60 and then charity bag it when done.

My girls went in there last w/e and came out with 5 tops between them for £12.50. ;) That doesn't even cover half a top from my fave shops. :eyebrow:

Love the new piece furniture JDF. WHat a great way for your Grandad's tree to live on. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
03-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Deb, that is a great idea! The piece looks great.

MikeA
03-15-2011, 01:24 PM
My girls went in there last w/e and came out with 5 tops between them for £12.50. That doesn't even cover half a top from my fave shops.

If it doesn't cover half, would a fourth do Melanie? If so, do you do any modeling? I'd like a picture.

Annabel
03-15-2011, 01:57 PM
If it doesn't cover half, would a fourth do Melanie? If so, do you do any modeling? I'd like a picture.

:rofl: Nope I'm afraid modelling isn't on my CV Mike. :grin: I'm the one who runs when the camera comes out or who takes the photos. ;)

MikeA
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
:rofl: Nope I'm afraid modelling isn't on my CV Mike. :grin: I'm the one who runs when the camera comes out or who takes the photos. ;)

Shucks, I never get a break! :woah:

Prettymaid
03-15-2011, 09:27 PM
My brother-in-law Chuck, Hubby's brother, was diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, on February 21st. ALS is a disease in which certain nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord slowly die. These nerve cells are called motor neurons, and they control the muscles that allow you to move the parts of your body. Only 1 in 100,000 get ALS.

Chuck (45) noticed last summer that he was having trouble moving the fingers of his right hand. Thinking he had a pinched nerve in his neck, he began going to a chiropractor, but when his symptoms got worse his doctor sent him to a neurologist in Indianapolis. By this time Chuck had muscle weakening on his right side, muscle twitching and trouble speaking. An MRI confirmed the worst. It was ALS.

Last November Chuck began working at a large company with better pay and benefits than his previous job. By early February his regular doctor had taken him off work because he could no longer perform his job. The day of his MRI and when he was diagnosed, Feb. 21, Chuck was told by the neurologist that he would not be able to work at his job ever again and was given a note to excuse him from work for 6 months, thinking that would cover the time his short-term disabilty insurance would end and his Social Security disability would begin. That same day Chuck took the note to his employer only to find out that since he had only been employed there for four months he was two months shy of being able to collect short term disability. Then they told him they had to let him go because he could no longer perform his job. As Chuck told us later, talk about kicking a dog when he's down!

He began scrambling to find resources. His wife Julie works full time, but he has a 17 year old daughter at home (and a 19 year old son who no longer lives at home). Soon he will have a state issued medical card to help pay for his prescriptions, and he recently found out that his Social Security will kick in mid August. They will have to move from their two story home into one more suited to his gradual disabilities.

People with ALS gradually become more disabled. How quickly the disease gets worse is different for everyone. Some people live with ALS for several years. But over time, ALS makes it hard to walk, speak, eat, swallow, and breathe. These problems can lead to injury, illness, and eventually death.

As you can imagine, the family is devistated. Our immediate concerns are showing our love and support to Chuck so that he knows he can count on us for anything, and getting the financial support he needs to get through this stressful time. We have started a Benefit account for him and are thankful for the donations that have started coming in. Please keep Chuck and our family in your thoughts and prayers.

WalshFan88
03-15-2011, 09:36 PM
So sorry to hear that PM. Very sad. :(

You all are in my thoughts/prayers.

sodascouts
03-15-2011, 11:22 PM
How awful - I can't even imagine what it must feel like. Chuck and your family will be in my prayers as well.

Koala
03-16-2011, 02:26 AM
Cathy, I'm sorry to hear this sad news!Chuck and the whole family in my thoughts/prayers.

jdubfan
03-16-2011, 05:31 AM
PM, if they haven't already, they may want to check alsa.org for a chapter in their area. They are a great source of info, support and assistance in your family's time of need. They helped my family in many ways after diagnosis. May you all be blessed with courage and strength during this difficult time.

tequila girl
03-16-2011, 06:02 AM
So very sad Cathy........ Chuck and all of your family are in my thoughts x

MikeA
03-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Oh my Cathy....that is tragic! I do hope that Chuck and his family (all of you) the minimum of hardship as you work your way through this terrible disease.

TimothyBFan
03-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Cathy-I've been thinking a lot about Chuck the last couple of days and told myself last night to get with you today to see how everyone was doing. Again, I'm so sorry to hear how drastic and quickly their lives are changing because of this. Sending my best wishes to the whole family.

Brooke
03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Cathy, I'm so sorry to hear this news about Chuck. My thoughts and prayers are also with him and your family. I know it must be devastating for all of you.

Annabel
03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear the news about Chuck. My thoughts are with all of you.

Brooke
03-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I'll be MIA for the next few days. Our high school girls basketball team, the Lady Mustangs, has made it to the State Final Four in Columbia and they play tomorrow at 5. This is our 3rd year in a row that we've made it. We haven't brought home the 1st prize yet, so we hope to accomplish that this time. We have a great niece and two nieces on the team, so we're proud supporters! Our town is officially closed starting tomorrow morning!

We nearly always go to this every year, whether we have a team there or not. Our school has only made it to State 3 times previously. Hubby will go to every session for 3 days which includes Class 1, 2, and 3 schools. A couple of his brothers and a couple of our nephews also do this. The wives hit the mall for lots of shopping. We will go to a few important games, but mostly shopping!

We also had to upgrade our satellite programming last night as he seemed to be missing several important college games. Then he was clicking from one channel to the next checking scores. :rolleyes: Luckily we have a couple other tvs!

Prettymaid
03-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Good luck to the Lady Mustangs and may this be the year! http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/party/party_10.gif (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/code/preview/220988.htm)

sodascouts
03-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Good luck to them, Brooke!

TimothyBFan
03-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Have fun Brooke! Hope they bring back a victory!

sodascouts
03-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Ooh, I'm so mad! I have a friend visiting from Indiana this weekend (which means I won't be on the board much, by the way) and so I figured, since my cat makes my apartment gross, I would get my carpets professionally cleaned. Well, the guy comes, basically "steam" vacuums, and charges me $70! I looked online and other places treat your carpets and move your furniture. This guy refused to do even that - I had to move my chairs and ask him to vacuum under them. WHAT A RIP OFF. And the worst thing is, my apartment is still not nice for my friend.

MADMADMADMADMAD

MikeA
03-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Some will and some won't Nancy. We had one who did meticulously move everything...EXCEPT the piano. And he even helped me move that so he could steam under it.

Prettymaid
03-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Nancy, am I going to have to come down there? :wink:

Troubadour
03-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Cathy - you know you have my warmest thoughts and prayers. I am thinking about Chuck and his family and wishing them the best through this terrible time. It's something none of us wants to contemplate. :( :hug:

sodascouts
03-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Nancy, am I going to have to come down there? :wink:

Well, I could use some help cleaning the bathrooms! ;)

Prettymaid
03-18-2011, 12:59 PM
That's what I'm talking about! lol!

MikeA
03-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Soda,

Go to the Humane Society. Get a Dog. The dog will clean the bathroom for you.

tequila girl
03-19-2011, 10:21 AM
I've just spent an hour upstairs trying to do some ironing, with Charlie (parrot) shouting incessently at me.....What ya doin'? eh? eh? what ya doinnnnnn? :hilarious:

MikeA
03-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I've just spent an hour upstairs trying to do some ironing, with Charlie (parrot) shouting incessently at me.....What ya doin'? eh? eh? what ya doinnnnnn? :hilarious:

Ahhh, TG....you need to teach that bird to say "How Ya Doin'?" Maybe even get Joe's inflection into it <LOL>

WalshFan88
03-19-2011, 01:45 PM
:rofl:

tequila girl
03-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Hehe Yeah, I could try that Mike!:thumbsup:

MikeA
03-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Our evening and day. Verna goes to bed. Dog goes to bed with Verna. I stay up and watch Basketball. I come to bed. Verna gets up 2 hours before I do. Dog stays in bed. Dog gets up when I do. Dog goes out and does business. Verna goes to Walmart. Dog goes nuts when Verna gets back. Verna lays down for nap. Dog lays down with Verna.

Dog likes to SLEEP!

tequila girl
03-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Our evening and day. Verna goes to bed. Dog goes to bed with Verna. I stay up and watch Basketball. I come to bed. Verna gets up 2 hours before I do. Dog stays in bed. Dog gets up when I do. Dog goes out and does business. Verna goes to Walmart. Dog goes nuts when Verna gets back. Verna lays down for nap. Dog lays down with Verna.

Dog likes to SLEEP!
Awww It's a GREAT LIFE!!! :thumbsup:

.....and as for you p47...taking the dogs for a walk on the ride on mower!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:(sorry about your ankle!) :-(