PDA

View Full Version : London, England (Jim Capaldi Tribute) 1-22-07

Toonlass
01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh, how I wish I could have gone to this...especially considering one of the songs Joe sang on...

A Celebration For Jim Capaldi, Roundhouse, London fourstar
By Pierre Perrone
Published: 23 January 2007

Tribute concerts are tricky events to pull off. You have to strike just the right respectful tone and ensure the performance is strong enough to honour the spirit of the departed. Over the years, I have attended a memorial concert to mark the 10th anniversary of the death of Small Faces frontman Steve Marriott in 2001, and the Concert For George, one year after the death of Beatle George Harrison, in 2002. Traffic founder-member Jim Capaldi, who died two years ago, was a friend of Harrison's, while Paul Weller, who has always worn his Sixties' influences on his sleeve, performed at the Marriott tribute. He was equally keen to help celebrate Capaldi's life and the music he made with Traffic, a group whose ever-changing style and sound perfectly epitomised the late Sixties and earlySeventies.

After moving speeches by Capaldi's widow Aninha and radio presenter Bob Harris, Weller opened with "Paper Sun", Traffic's shiny, psychedelic first single from the Summer of Love, later returning to sing "Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush". Behind the many guest vocalists, the engine room included Jon Lord, of Deep Purple fame, on keyboards; Bill Wyman, ex-Stones, on occasional bass; and a tag-team of Andy Newmark and Simon Kirke on drums. The real coup had been to secure the first UK appearance in decades by Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens). He talked warmly about Capaldi, and added a snatch of his own "Wild World" to his friend's "Man With No Country".

Capaldi's Traffic bandmate Steve Winwood performed a hefty slice of early-Seventies repertoire including "Rainmaker" and "Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys". Having dazzled us with his soulful vocals and organ playing, Winwood switched to guitar for a wistful "Dear Mr Fantasy". Capaldi's brother Phil was a revelation as a singer, while the Eagles' Joe Walsh singing "John Barleycorn" worked surprisingly well. Weller rejoined the ensemble for a groovy "Pearly Queen" before Winwood and Walsh duetted on "Love Will Keep Us Alive", a fitting finale to this celebration.

When Traffic reunited in 1994, they didn't perform their 1967 hits, so this concert provided the best overview of a group who have been pigeonholed as a Sixties curio. Sterling performances of Capaldi's solo material were an added bonus. His spirit lives on

from: http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/reviews/article2178337.ece

sodascouts
01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Thank you so much for posting that! I'd wondered how the gig went.

Freypower
01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Joe and LWKUA. With Steve Winwood. Now there is a thought.

My husband would be impressed by Jon Lord being there as he's a huge fan. Sounds like a good night.

glenneaglesfan
01-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Toonlass, very many thanks for posting that review. I had no idea it was happening until I turned the radio on and caught it by accident.

sodascouts
01-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Joe and LWKUA. With Steve Winwood. Now there is a thought.

I know! It must have been really different. I would love to have heard it. It's cool that Joe's not afraid to step outside of the comfort zone vocally.

Z
01-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Toon, thanks so much for posting that.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks from me too, Toon. I wish you could have been there, too. BTW - tell Witchy Mummy hello from us. We miss her.

Witchy Mummy
01-26-2007, 01:29 PM
It sounds like it was a great night. Thanks Toonie 8)

Thanks dreamer...I missed you all too :)

sodascouts
03-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Found an alternate video of Joe playing 40,000 Headmen at this concert - we'd all seen a version posted earlier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6SdqV2Z5nk), but the bootlegger here has a better location than that one did:

40,000 Headmen - Jim Capaldi Tribute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evemj6Qvmhw)

SweetHolly
03-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks Nancy! 8)