PDA

View Full Version : Just the four of them?

sodascouts
06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
This topic came up in another thread - the desire for the Eagles to perform just as a quartet, like they used to do in their earliest days (by The Long Run tour, they were being joined onstage by the likes of Joe Vitale, Jage Jackson, Vince Melamed and Phil Kenzie so they haven't been "bare bones" in quite a while).

But I just can't see it. Can you imagine them doing Hotel California as a four-piece, for instance? While it's true they could probably cut down on the backing band - is more than one keyboardist really necessary? An entire horn section? - I really don't think it's possible for them to play some of the current songs in the set as a four piece and have them sound like the original.

Even expecting Don to play drums on all the songs is a bit much, considering he is doing solo songs. For those solo numbers, he didn't even play the drum parts on the original album versions!

I do miss Glenn on the keyboards on songs like Desperado but I guess playing piano/keyboards night after night is pretty taxing.

luvthelighthouse
06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I would love nothing more than this! It would be so intimate and fresh. They have the talent, they do not need so many extra's filling every second of air time.

I would have NO issue w/an occassional "guest" on a song. Yes, HC, probably needs an extra guitar... so I wouldn't mind someone sitting in on a song or two... but just the four of them playing ICTYW or LE... OMG, swoon!!!

It would be raw, but that would make them put more passion in it. Listening to what they really sound like, w/out all the glitz and glamour... oh, my heart pines for this!

Brooke
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
I would love it and it would be cool. I would have to say that I think having Stuart with the extra guitar would be fine.

As far as Don drumming on everything, I guess I would just want to hear Eagles songs and leave his solos to his solo concerts.

sodascouts
06-28-2010, 05:13 PM
That's true. I guess if they modified the setlist, changed arrangements and got rid of any songs they couldn't handle without help (except for the occasional "guest" appearance for a song like Hotel California), it could be done. It would take a LOT of modification though! Even when Glenn and Don play Eagles songs solo they use more than three other people.

luvthelighthouse
06-28-2010, 05:54 PM
This sounds pretty darn good to my ears. Granted, we would trade Randy for TBS and Bernie for Joe... but I think TBS and Joe could handle it. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44_rtJxPg0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJJMJDsGsL0

More vocals, less instruments... ah, refreshing!:soda:

sodascouts
06-28-2010, 06:01 PM
It's interesting to compare that directly with the (relatively) new versions to hear the scope of the difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB1_dJrSBrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gG7P0aPEBc

luvthelighthouse
06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
No doubt, the "newer" versions are full... but I enjoy the raw, almost "unplugged" if you will versions. I will admit, I do think another guitar is needed. I believe five members is probably ideal. Let them make Steuart, Felders official replacement and that would work! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
06-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Good topic!

I guess I'm in the minority - I like the sound of the backing musicians with them better than the sound of just the four of them. That was great then - this is great now.

Eve
06-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Five members would be ideal, but if they were to "officially" replace Felder, I would have to go with my Ringo and George are not the Beatles and Roger and Pete are not The Who. I'd rather they just stop touring than add a fifth Eagle at this point.

The four remaining guys could handle it.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-28-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm with ya, PM. Now if we could have our own little intimate Border concert, I'd love to just hear the four guys. But, to me, I love the sound the bigger band provides in the stadiums and arenas that they are playing.

Prettymaid
06-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Now if we could have our own little intimate Border concert, I'd love to just hear the four guys.

Good thinking Dreamer. The fewer witnesses at that thing the better! :thumbsup:

Freypower
06-28-2010, 11:45 PM
I would absolutely love to see just the four of them. There would be no solo songs at all. Yes, this would mean Don playing drums, including on Desperado and The Long Run if they still insist on playing that, unless they did some acoustic songs in which case they would all play acoustic guitars.

TimothyBFan
06-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Good thinking Dreamer. The fewer witnesses at that thing the better! :thumbsup:

:hilarious:

I say strip them...:blush:uh...the musicians...um...get rid of all the extras! ;) They use to do it and there's no doubt in my mind that they could do it now. I think it would be awesome for them to go back to the bare bones, so to speak! ;)

Prettymaid
06-29-2010, 08:34 AM
I say strip them...

Now that's a Border concert I could sink my teeth into! ;) This is sounding better all the time!