PDA

View Full Version : Song Suggestions For Guitar?

EaglesFanatic
07-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi everyone! So I'm teaching myself guitar, an so far I've learned Won't Back Down (Tom Petty), Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin), Life's Been Good, You Are Not Alone, Long Road Out Of Eden, and part of the solo of Hotel California. If anyone has any good classic rock song ideas for me, that would be awesome. Also, if anyone here actually plays guitar, I'm all ears when it comes to pointers!
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

MikeA
07-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Rolling Stones "Honky Tonk Woman". Richards plays it in Open "G" but you can play it with normal tunings using G C, G A D, G C, G D G.

As they play it, they aren't really playing full chords. Richards and Taylor complimenting each other with Richards doing most of the rhythm. But even the solo parts aren't that complex...especially in Open "G" (drop the two "E" strings to "D" and drop the "A" string to "G".)

EaglesFanatic
07-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Ok great, thank you so much. I'll have to try this one out

Mrs Henley
07-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Uhm...try Come On Over from Shania Twain.
Don't know if it's a great Guitar chord..

MikeA
07-24-2010, 05:07 PM
I should disclaim the lyrics on 'Honky Tonk Woman". Content is rather "R-Rated" and it would take some rewording to make it appropriate for a female to sing. But they are easy <LOL>

EaglesFanatic
07-24-2010, 05:47 PM
lol yes I have noticed that :hilarious: so I just won't sing along!

MikeA
07-25-2010, 08:04 AM
But THAT would defeat the greatest thing about making playing a guitar "easy":
SING LOUD!

EaglesFanatic
07-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Eh... I don't think I'm even coordinated enough to sing and play at the same time! Haha. I'll give it a try though :laugh:

Glennsallnighter
07-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey, Good luck EF! I hope it goes well for you. I have pretty much all the Eagles and Glenn :heart:'s song books with guitar chords. PEF, and LE are easy enough to play, and you can usually substitute some of the harier chords easily enough.
Another one that I like is 'American Pie' by Don McClean (sp?) and also 'Streets of London' by Ralph McTell.

Chordie.com is a good site to get the lyrics and chords of plenty of songs, and also it gives a guide to how easy it is to play the songs.

EaglesFanatic
07-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks GA. I also have one Eagles songbook, and it has a lot of my favorites in it. Plus they're fairly easy to play. I'm playing every day, so I'm getting better. I thought I'd try some harder things, such as Funk 49, and the solo of Time by Pink Floyd. Thanks for telling me about chordie.com. I will have to go check it out!

MikeA
07-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I thought of another that is sort of fun in a morbid way. Do you remember that Boogie Blues group of the 60's called "Canned Heat?"

They did a song called Amphetamine Annie. It was a warning from the group to quit taking "speed" (a very popular hippie high back in the day).

The song doesn't have a lot of vocal range and really only used three chords and you just "vamp" on them but the chords might scare you at first.

Ab Db and Eb

Don't panic on the chords! You could either raise them to naturals for A D and E but it really sounds good in the flat key.

Make them with bar chords on the 4th fret for the Ab and Db. The Eb is up on the 6th fret. Just "vamp" with palm muting four down strokes per measure.

Here's the chords and lyrics though they sort of messed with sharps for the chords instead of flats. Probalby the Chord generator just wouldn't interpret it right. And instead of sticking with the straight "E" form bar chord shape, you play it in the middle of the neck and it sounds better if you form the Db on the 4th fret using the "A" form and the Eb on the 6th fret using the "A" form. The Ab is fine on the 4th fret with the "E" form.

Oh, and they missed a change to Db on the third line of verse 2.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/canned_heat/anphetamine_annie_crd.htm

See if I can find it on Youtube. This one ain't rocket science but is really is a good Boogie Blues song though not as relevant today as it was back when everyone was eating "diet pills" like they were breath mints!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzoqpyUbhg

EaglesFanatic
07-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Good song, I've never even heard of Canned Heat before! I see how it would sound better in the flat key... But I just dread bar chords haha. I try to avoid them whenever possible. BUT since this is an easy song with bar chords, I might as well learn how to play them. Gotta start somewhere I guess. I'm a little confused about the E... If I played the natural chords, do I still need to play the E on the 6th fret?

MikeA
07-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Good song, I've never even heard of Canned Heat before! I see how it would sound better in the flat key... But I just dread bar chords haha. I try to avoid them whenever possible. BUT since this is an easy song with bar chords, I might as well learn how to play them. Gotta start somewhere I guess. I'm a little confused about the E... If I played the natural chords, do I still need to play the E on the 6th fret?

If you play in naturals, you can play a regular Open A, Open D and Open E all down on the first fret.

Not sure exactly what you are asking though. If you played bar'd chords "natural", you could play them using the "E" bar form on the 5th for "A", the same thing on the 10th fret for the "D" and 12th fret for the "E".

But if you are going to play it "open" all the way, Just make your "A" chord, your "D" chord and "E" chord down at the nut without using bar chords.

Hmmm, maybe I can map the strings for the bar chords for you:

strings are listed first with the fret second. "E" is the bass string and "e" is the highest string.

"Ab" (bar 4th fret with index finger. This is the "E" form which gets its name from the A, D and G string fret positions. You'll see it when you make it)
E4, A6, D6, G5, B4, e4

For the "Db" (bar all strings on 4th fret with index as with the Ab chord. This is the "A" shape. You bar the D G and B strings with the last joint of your ring finger)
E4, A4, D6, G6, B6, e4

For the Eb (just slide the Db up to the 6th fret...bar the 6th fret)
E6, A6, D8, G8, B8, e6

Ya kinda gotta learn those bar chords. They are indispensable for some of those chords (like Ab or Eb) that would take a contortionist to master in the open position!