PDA

View Full Version : Vote for The Greatest Guitarist Ever!!!

TimothyBFan
07-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Obscure poll but a little upsetting. It has Pagey at #5, Clapton at #15.... come ON!!! Also includes 2 Beatles and I don't even see Mr Walsh!!

Anyways, here's the link to vote if you wish...you notice I posted it so it takes you right to Pagey but you can scoll thru to vote your way--just don't let me find out you didn't vote for Jimmy!!! :-x

http://www.nme.com/rate/greatestguitarists/76

MikeA
07-30-2010, 02:02 PM
I can almost understand George Harrison, but John Lennon? CUMMON!!!!!!

I don't know where they came up with the ballot but looking at it, I don't think it is worth messing with Willie.

EagleLady
07-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I would have had Townshend a little higher than 12 :-x And No Joe! That is a crime against music

MikeA
07-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Yep, no Walsh. But where was Jeff Beck? Joe Satriani? Steve Vai? Stevie Ray Vaughan? Phil Keagey? There are too numerous files of ground breaking guitar players to not have them in a poll that carries John Lennon as a "Guitar God!"

I don't have a lot of respect for a poll that doesn't even mention those guys.

Check this guy out. He seldom gets credit, but he was a huge influence on Page and has the total respect of Neil Young. You might recognize the tune. "Black Water Side". Page took it and released in on one of the early Zep albums as "Black Mountain Side!"

It is said that he is to "Acoustic" as Jimi Hendrix was to "Electric". Those polls are there to drum up business for whomever or whatever is publishing them and they spin them towards their specific audience I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkX7Q2J7k48&feature=related

Freypower
08-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Ah yes, the good old NME and its British bias. To me the inclusion of John Lennon, who was a great rhythm guitarist (like Glenn) is more valid than a couple of those listed. I have never heard of either Joshua Hayward or the Horrors. Yes, it reflects modern tastes but it doesn't reflect credibility.