PDA

View Full Version : Music Documentaries

Ive always been a dreamer
08-11-2010, 09:14 AM
A DVD called Legends of the Canyon: Classic Artists (2009) is going to be released on August 31st. Sounds really interesting, although there is no mention of the Eagles. Hmmm! :wink: Anyway, you can preorder on http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Canyon-Classic-David-Crosby/dp/B003NOGNX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1281531733&sr=8-1.

Brooke
08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Cool! It reminds me of the book about Laurel Canyon. I think I need it! :thumbsup:

Freypower
08-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I cannot understand how something like that could exclude the Eagles and yet include America.

WS82Classics
10-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Some of my personal favourite, non "History of the Eagles" documentaries:

"Beware of Mr. Baker"
"George Harrison: Living in the Material World"
"Lambert & Stamp"
"Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers--Runnin' Down a Dream"
"When You're Strange: A Film about the Doors"
"Who is Harry Nilsson, and Why is Everybody Talkin' about Him?"

I've seen a couple on Jimi Hendrix documentaries I really liked, but the names totally escape me right now.

MortSahlFan
10-12-2016, 07:59 AM
I love "Classic Albums" - they really get into the music, it's the best program for music.

I've seen a lot of ones about The Doors. Crossfire Hurricane is a good Stones one. Pink Floyd has a lot, including a non-classic albums "Making of Wish You Were Here" "The Wall" (as well as "Classic Albums: Dark Side")

I just saw some on Netflix, on Janis Joplin (good), Keith Richards (ok). The Beatles have a lot of stuff.

I loved Roger Waters new Wall movie. Part movie, part documentary, part concert.

There's also a couple of good Supertramp ones.

Anything upcoming?

NightMistBlue
10-12-2016, 09:05 AM
A DVD called Legends of the Canyon: Classic Artists (2009) is going to be released on August 31st. Sounds really interesting, although there is no mention of the Eagles. Hmmm! :wink: Anyway, you can preorder on http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Canyon-Classic-David-Crosby/dp/B003NOGNX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1281531733&sr=8-1.

That was a good one, done by Henry Diltz and featuring interviews with a lot of his famous friends (Stephen Stills, Crosby, Van Dyke Parks) and non-famous, as well as the charming Henry himself. It doesn't attempt to be a serious, structured, thorough documentary - it's really just Henry showing some of his home movies, telling some stories, etc. Quite similar to "Under the Covers" except it's more about the milieu of Laurel Canyon in its heady heyday.

Freypower
10-12-2016, 05:09 PM
For what it's worth I recommend the Genesis documentary Together & Apart...

Jonny Come Lately
10-12-2016, 05:59 PM
I love "Classic Albums" - they really get into the music, it's the best program for music.

I've seen a lot of ones about The Doors. Crossfire Hurricane is a good Stones one. Pink Floyd has a lot, including a non-classic albums "Making of Wish You Were Here" "The Wall" (as well as "Classic Albums: Dark Side")

I just saw some on Netflix, on Janis Joplin (good), Keith Richards (ok). The Beatles have a lot of stuff.

I loved Roger Waters new Wall movie. Part movie, part documentary, part concert.

There's also a couple of good Supertramp ones.

Anything upcoming?

Couldn't agree more about the Classic Albums series! I saw the Dark Side episode a while back and absolutely loved it, superb stuff. I loved how they went through the album track by track and went into such detail about the making of each song. I'm really glad they did it while Rick was still around. I really liked the Wish You Were Here documentary too. I remember seeing one for Meddle on YouTube once too.There was another Pink Floyd one I enjoyed (can't remember the name... I think Richard E Grant was the narrator. It was a bit too biased towards Gilmour's side, but still good).

Another one I remember really enjoying from the Classic Albums series was the episode for Deep Purple's Machine Head. Seeing Jon Lord playing the slowed down and full speed versions of Highway Star's organ solo was brilliant! I didn't see the whole thing because I was too tired at the time, but if it comes on again I will definitely watch it. On a similar theme, I saw a hard rock/heavy metal documentary called Heavy Metal Britannia (I think) a while back, which was great. Although the title was heavy metal it had just as much from hard/heavy rock as actual metal - there was quite a bit of Purple and a bit of Led Zeppelin in there.

I guess The History of the Eagles is probably a bit of an obvious choice for us on The Border, but seriously, that shouldn't cloud the fact that it is a superb rockumentary. It does such a fantastic job of telling the band's story in a way that seems to work just as well for more casual fans as well as the hardcores (my Dad, who likes the Eagles but doesn't know the band or music as well as I do, absolutely loves it). It really is a standout of the genre.

On the reverse side, the worst music documentary I've ever seen was something called 'Discovering Dire Straits'. There was a Pink Floyd episode in this series which was decent enough if hardly earth shattering for a big fan like me, so I watched this out of curiosity. Unfortunately, it completely missed the point, to the extent that I could barely recognise the band they were talking about as Dire Straits. It suggested that the videos for Tunnel Of Love and Romeo And Juliet were a major factor in the band's success (I could have understood this argument for Walk Of Life and especially Money For Nothing, but neither of those songs were true hits so I don't see why the videos were so important in those cases). More attention was given over to this than to Mark Knopfler's guitar work, which is a huge and lasting part of the band's appeal. Given the programme was only half an hour long too much time was wasted talking about how disappointing On Every Street was (I can't argue with that, but classic songs like Telegraph Road and Private Investigations were not deemed worthy of mention), and pointlessly contrasted them with the emerging grunge bands, which seem to me to have appealed to a very different audience. I was kind of annoyed after seeing it because the people involved with it just didn't seem to understand what it was that made Dire Straits a great band.

Freypower
10-12-2016, 06:19 PM
On the reverse side, the worst music documentary I've ever seen was something called 'Discovering Dire Straits'. There was a Pink Floyd episode in this series which was decent enough if hardly earth shattering for a big fan like me, so I watched this out of curiosity. Unfortunately, it completely missed the point, to the extent that I could barely recognise the band they were talking about as Dire Straits. It suggested that the videos for Tunnel Of Love and Romeo And Juliet were a major factor in the band's success (I could have understood this argument for Walk Of Life and especially Money For Nothing, but neither of those songs were true hits so I don't see why the videos were so important in those cases). More attention was given over to this than to Mark Knopfler's guitar work, which is a huge and lasting part of the band's appeal. Given the programme was only half an hour long too much time was wasted talking about how disappointing On Every Street was (I can't argue with that, but classic songs like Telegraph Road and Private Investigations were not deemed worthy of mention), and pointlessly contrasted them with the emerging grunge bands, which seem to me to have appealed to a very different audience. I was kind of annoyed after seeing it because the people involved with it just didn't seem to understand what it was that made Dire Straits a great band.

No, no, no. I hate those two videos, especially R&J. They are embarrassingly dated.

buffyfan145
10-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Besides the HOTE I've really liked "George Harrison: Living in the Material World", "The Beatles Anthology", and I know I saw one on The Rolling Stones in one of my college classes but can't remember the title. I also loved watching "Behind the Music" and other shows like it for various genres of music as I love learning about musicians/bands and their stories. Really looking forward to seeing Ron Howard's new Beatles doc "Eight Days a Week" when it comes out on DVD in November, Justin Timberlake's he just put on Netflix, and there's one on Oasis coming out soon too.

MortSahlFan
10-13-2016, 03:06 PM
I wonder why they didn't do a Classic Albums for the Eagles.

NoNottheFootballTeam
10-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Two very good documentaries that are NOT about specific bands...both are available on Netflix:

Muscle Shoals (as in Alabama)
The Wrecking Crew

These documentaries are about the studio musicians that played in (and often influenced) the familiar recordings from some of your favorite individuals and bands...especially from the 60s.

I'm betting you will be surprised that some of the songs you liked were not performed (at least in the released recordings) by the singer or the band.

Of course, it's my opinion, but I found them interesting.

Jonny Come Lately
10-13-2016, 04:42 PM
I've a feeling I might have seen the Living In The Material World documentary before now - the title rings a bell, and I definitely remember seeing a Beatles doc which focussed specifically on George. If Ron Howard's new Beatles documentary is of the same quality as his F1 movie Rush (about the 1976 world championship battle between James Hunt and Niki Lauda), then it should be pretty good! My whole family loves that film.

MortSahl - just checked Wikipedia which has an episode list for the Classic Albums series, and (assuming it's correct. Hopefully it is but you can't quite be sure sometimes!) yup, nothing by the Eagles. :sad: No idea why. My first thought was that it was because it was a British series, but I don't think that explains it given that they did Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Aja by Steely Dan. In that light you'd have thought Hotel California would have been an obvious choice to do, particularly as I noticed elsewhere in the article that it was covered in the radio series that preceded the TV programme. Not all of the albums that they did in the radio series were covered again on TV, but several were.

Having said that, if those lists are correct, they also missed out on Beggar's Banquet by the Stones from the ones done on radio, which is also quite surprising to me. It's also weird to see several albums from the early 1990s - Nirvana I can definitely understand, but it seems weird that they did ones for Primal Scream and Simply Red while by passing the Stones and the Eagles. I would devour a Desperado episode, but unfortunatel with both Glenn and probably Randy unavailable I suspect that it wouldn't be viable.

Link to the full list if you want to check for yourself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Albums#Episodes

RudieCantFail
10-14-2016, 02:02 AM
As a fan of The Clash, I recommend The Clash: Westway to the World, especially if you wanted to know more about the band. It's a good way to get introduced to the history of the band from the beginning to the end in 1983, when the lead guitarist, Mick Jones, left.

If you want to know more about The Clash after Mick Jones left, then The Rise and Fall of The Clash has more insight and interviews of band members during The Clash Mark II incarnation and the sixth studio album. Yep, they interview Vince White and Nick Sheppard who were brought in to "replace" Mick Jones and Joe Strummer in playing guitar only, and Pete Howard, the drummer who takes Topper Headon and Terry Chimes's place, is also in it. Sheppard reminds me of Matt Dillon in appearance. The Clash Mark II is an embarrassment to the band. It was ridiculous, since for example, Joe Strummer made Vince White go with the name, "Vince," because he refused to play alongside with a guy named Greg.

Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten chronicles the life and career of Joe Strummer, and the soundtrack is pretty neat and varied. It goes into what he was like before forming The Clash, his years with The Clash, the fall of The Clash, and his life after The Clash. He did a few songs for film soundtracks and did a little acting. I like how it goes into his work with The Mescaleros, and I always find it too bad that he passed in 2002. Before he passed, he was working with Mick Jones to make another Clash record. Strummer's lyrics and Jones's expertise in writing music were what made The Clash good, so it makes me a little sad that they did play together one month before he died but never got to complete anything together again.

UndertheWire
10-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Another documentary that may be worth a look is Sound City. It's about the LA recording studio and gets a bit bogged down in the story of a sound board but has some interesting tails. I think it has a section on how Buckingham-Nicks ended up merging with Fleetwood Mac. It's a Dave Grohl project, I think. It's several years since I watched it so I'm a bit vague.

There's also Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage which is good but, for a non-Rush fan, when they start going through the history of endless albums it gets a big slow.

sodascouts
10-15-2016, 12:46 PM
The VH1 episode of Behind the Music dedicated to Fleetwood Mac was absolutely fascinating. Really, any factually accurate documentary about that band is compelling because they're a band full of drama - not boring drama like fighting over money but romantic angst and heartbreak, angst that lasts YEARS, which is a lot more interesting!

NightMistBlue
10-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Two very good documentaries that are NOT about specific bands...both are available on Netflix:

[LIST=1]
Muscle Shoals (as in Alabama)
The Wrecking Crew

Those were excellent. I would also highly, highly recommend "Respect Yourself: the Stax Records Story." "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music" is a poignant story of the genius producer/engineer behind Miami's Criteria Studios, who recorded John Coltrane, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton and the Allman Brothers, to name but a few.

My all-time favorite music film is "The Beach Boys: An American Band." I've seen it so many times I can recite the dialogue. It's not cinematic art, or even a great film - more of a cut-and-paste job, really. But the music just soars, there are too many great performances to mention. Make sure you get the full version, which includes a 1967 clip of Brian at the piano in his home performing "Surf's Up," so deeply into the music. Also rare clips of the band in the studio, rehearsing and recording Pet Sounds, Smile and 20/20.

NightMistBlue
10-18-2016, 12:26 PM
P.S. Acclaimed music documentaries that are in my Netflix queue but I haven't yet seen: The Last Waltz; Janis: Little Girl Blue (I've become fascinated with Janis since seeing her on the Dick Cavett show of all places!); and Festival Express, which features a young Bernie Leadon and many other musicians on a train in 1970, on their way to shows in Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_Express

LuvTim
10-18-2016, 07:18 PM
P.S. Acclaimed music documentaries that are in my Netflix queue but I haven't yet seen: The Last Waltz; Janis: Little Girl Blue (I've become fascinated with Janis since seeing her on the Dick Cavett show of all places!); and Festival Express, which features a young Bernie Leadon and many other musicians on a train in 1970, on their way to shows in Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_Express

I saw Muscle Shoals, which was very good, and Janis. You'll love Janis. That lady had heart, man.

Also, check out The Other One, about Bob Weir. I liked it.

I'm going to make note of Festival Express.

sodascouts
10-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Coincidentally, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" shuffled onto my iPod yesterday and I decided to find a live performance on YouTube. The one I found was from The Last Waltz and I must have replayed it half a dozen times. Levon Helm was absolutely amazing. I want to see the whole thing now!

LuvTim
10-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Coincidentally, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" shuffled onto my iPod yesterday and I decided to find a live performance on YouTube. The one I found was from The Last Waltz and I must have replayed it half a dozen times. Levon Helm was absolutely amazing. I want to see the whole thing now!

Ain't In It For My Health: Levon Helm. Just another one you might like. :-) Available on Netflix.

buffyfan145
10-22-2016, 10:11 AM
I watched a fantastic one on PBS last night about the "Hamilton" musical called "Hamilton's America". :D It followed Lin Manuel Miranda and his journey of how he created the musical and I'm even more impressed with him than I already was. He put everything he had into this show and made it the success it is. It's amazing how he blended the history and created all these songs from different genres to tell Alexander Hamilton's story and how he helped create the US government. At the same time they told the real history of Hamilton, Aaron Burr, George Washington, and all the other real life characters in the play and took the cast to the actual places in New York and Virginia where the events took place. It was such a great doc and hopefully one day I'll get to see the musical in person.

AlreadyGone95
10-22-2016, 10:17 AM
The VH1 episode of Behind the Music dedicated to Fleetwood Mac was absolutely fascinating. Really, any factually accurate documentary about that band is compelling because they're a band full of drama - not boring drama like fighting over money but romantic angst and heartbreak, angst that lasts YEARS, which is a lot more interesting!

Soda, have you seen the Behind the Music episode for Lindsey Buckingham? I found it to be very informative. It used to be up on YouTube, but I think it got taken down. I think there may also be one about Stevie Nicks.

LuvTim
10-22-2016, 11:25 AM
I watched a fantastic one on PBS last night about the "Hamilton" musical called "Hamilton's America". :D It followed Lin Manuel Miranda and his journey of how he created the musical and I'm even more impressed with him than I already was. He put everything he had into this show and made it the success it is. It's amazing how he blended the history and created all these songs from different genres to tell Alexander Hamilton's story and how he helped create the US government. At the same time they told the real history of Hamilton, Aaron Burr, George Washington, and all the other real life characters in the play and took the cast to the actual places in New York and Virginia where the events took place. It was such a great doc and hopefully one day I'll get to see the musical in person.

buff, I, too, saw part of that last night. It was great and I was enjoying myself very much- until the (almost new) water heater broke and flooded the utility room. Then I spent the evening with the plumber, instead. Now, today another plumber.

I'm just grateful for plumbers today. :-)

I guess I'll catch the Hamilton doc in its entirety another time. Lol...

buffyfan145
10-22-2016, 04:23 PM
I'm so sorry about that LuvTim. :( Hope it's fixed soon. Knowing PBS it should be on again soon and on their site.

LuvTim
10-22-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm so sorry about that LuvTim. :( Hope it's fixed soon. Knowing PBS it should be on again soon and on their site.

Thanks, buff. You're sweet. :hug:

Yes, new one installed today.

I'll look for the doc on the PBS site.

Gemini
10-22-2016, 07:19 PM
I watched Hamilton's America on PBS last night, too, and enjoyed it very much. Amazing story.

Sorry about your water heater, LT. Mine is in a closet with the washer/dryer in the middle of the first floor of my house and I spend an unhealthy amount of time worrying about just what happened to you. Glad to hear you're back underway with a new one. I hope you get a chance to catch the show ... it really was good.

AlreadyGone95
10-22-2016, 07:33 PM
I'm glad that you were able to get a new water heater installed, LT. It stinks that your old one busted. The water heater in my home is inside my closet, which is where I have to store my vinyl records. I hope it never busts.

LuvTim
10-22-2016, 09:13 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your good thoughts! :heart:

NightMistBlue
10-31-2016, 01:38 PM
Soda, have you seen the Behind the Music episode for Lindsey Buckingham?

I'm not Soda, but I need to see that episode!

Shoot. There's also a Gene Clark doc, The Byrd Who Flew Alone, from a couple years ago that I still haven't seen. It sounds kinda grim. I guess that's unavoidable. The last few years of his life were some very rough sledding, so to speak.

buffyfan145
11-05-2016, 08:26 PM
I just watched Justin Timberlake's new Netflix film "Justin Timberlake & The Tennessee Kids" and it was great!!! :D He really knows how to put on a show. This was filmed during his final "20/20 Experience" concert in Las Vegas last year and I loved how his band The Tennessee Kids has so many musicians and backup singers and dancers in it. He had a full brass section, two drummers, multiple keyboardists, two lead guitarists and a bass guitarist, and even played guitar himself on a few songs.

RudieCantFail
11-12-2016, 02:59 AM
PBS is airing an 8-part documentary called Soundbreaking. It starts on Monday, Nov. 14, and then the 2nd episode is on Tuesday. Check your local listings to check the time that it's airing. In the west coast, it'll be Monday at 10 pm.

Here's an article on it:
http://kwbe.com/abc_classicr/starstudded-george-martinproduced-pbs-documentary-series-soundbreaking-premieres-monday-abcid35806122/

I think it's about the history of music producing, so it'll go into several different styles and genres of music and the production techniques to make those types of music happen.

Link to official website of the documentary:
http://soundbreaking.com/

NightMistBlue
11-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Oh wow. That sounds fascinating.

NightMistBlue
11-15-2016, 03:27 PM
The first episode of Soundbreaking aired last night; next episode is this evening (dates/times may vary in your neck o' the woods).

Looks like tonight's episode could have Fleetwood Mac content, also Beach Boys. Plus, more Beatles & George Martin. I think George Martin had a hand in creating the series.

I'm not sure when the interviews were filmed. Sir George has since passed on, and Joni Mitchell was healthy in her brief segment.

It's interesting, but quite scattershot. There doesn't seem to be any particular rhyme or reason to who is being covered (briefly mentioned actually, due to time contraints) - it's neither a chronological nor thematic narrative.

It's apparently organized around the question, "What does a producer do?" We look at what George Martin did to help the Beatles realise their talents. We learn of Phil Spector's Wall of Sound production techniques. Then Joni Mitchell, who essentially produced herself. There's a longish segment with the Artist Formerly Known as Cat Stevens discussing his frustration with producers who put brass and strings on his songs. It implies he was his own producer, but of course he wasn't - Paul Samwell-Smith was, but he isn't named.

Then there was a long segment on hip-hop and I left the room.

NightMistBlue
11-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Last night's episode has interview segments with Lindsey and Stevie, plus what looked like home movie footage of Lindsey recording bits of Tusk in his house (including the bathroom!).

shunlvswx
11-16-2016, 12:24 PM
I saw that it was coming on. I didn't watch Monday's episode, but I did record the rest of the series.

I like David Bowie's documentary Five Years that came out in 2013. I like BBC version better than the US version that was shown on Showtime and even VH1 Classic(it was an hour and thirty, but it was the hour version. Showtime version is only an hour and they cut so much of it. I wish they shown the 90 minutes version than the hour version. I found out online when I was looking for it that it was 90 minutes.

NightMistBlue
11-16-2016, 12:29 PM
I saw the Bowie doc on VH1. I had read that it was very illuminating about the early sort of conceptualizing of his career/image and that his father helped him a lot. As I recall, there wasn't any of that! Maybe those were the bits that were edited out for the American version. :shrug:

shunlvswx
11-16-2016, 12:58 PM
From what I remembered. They talked about Hunky Dory album, meeting Andy Warhol, they talked more about the Young American album, his musical relationship with Brian Eno and Robert Fripp(they went more in depth with those two), when he first met Ava Cherry(one of his backup singers on the Young American album and she was also his then girlfriend. I think David was dating her before they started recording YA. It was very brief on her. I wish they went into depth with Luther Vandross which I didn't know he knew David before he made it big), they talked about The Man Who Fell To Earth, more on the Scary Monsters album(a little recording session of Ashes to Ashes), David doing The Elephant Man, more depth on the three albums he made in Germany and other things. Some other stuff I probably left out.

NightMistBlue
11-16-2016, 02:37 PM
I love Luther. Still can't quite believe he's gone. That was cool to see the kind of home movie footage of Bowie showing the back-up singers - including Ava and young Luther - how he wanted it done.

One more thing I want to mention about last night's episode (that would be the second) because we have quite a few Pink Floyd fans on The Border: the beautiful and talented David Gilmour, as well as Roger Waters, were featured. They were discussing the recording of Dark Side of the Moon, naturally. Waters is also commenting throughout the program on other artists, such as the Beatles.

Tonight's program is about vocalists, I don't think I'll watch. I say that but then I probably will. I'm weirdly jealous about producers: they have the most fascinating careers, don't they? Darn them. :)

UndertheWire
11-16-2016, 03:25 PM
It sounds interesting. I've checked and in the UK it's available through Sky Arts "On Demand" and was originally broadcast in July. I assume it's british, based on the high proportion of british acts.

NightMistBlue
11-16-2016, 05:15 PM
I assume it's british, based on the high proportion of british acts.

I hadn't noticed a preponderance of British acts* but now that you mention it, the high profile given to Radiohead's producer would be somewhat unexpected in an American program.

*Assuming everyone knows that "classic rock" remains very popular in the U.S. and British bands such as Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, etc remain mighty in the land. Icons such as Paul McCartney and Elton John are not thought of as foreign, really. We love their accents and clutch them tightly to our cultural bosom.

LuvTim
11-16-2016, 06:19 PM
I love Luther. Still can't quite believe he's gone. That was cool to see the kind of home movie footage of Bowie showing the back-up singers - including Ava and young Luther - how he wanted it done.

One more thing I want to mention about last night's episode (that would be the second) because we have quite a few Pink Floyd fans on The Border: the beautiful and talented David Gilmour, as well as Roger Waters, were featured. They were discussing the recording of Dark Side of the Moon, naturally. Waters is also commenting throughout the program on other artists, such as the Beatles.

Tonight's program is about vocalists, I don't think I'll watch. I say that but then I probably will. I'm weirdly jealous about producers: they have the most fascinating careers, don't they? Darn them. :)

I saw this, too. You know, I had almost forgotten how beautiful David Gilmour was in his glorious youth. (Fans her face.) ;-)
I have to go to the airport tonight to pick up the hubs, but I think I can catch most of the episode on vocalists before I have to leave the house.
(I adore Adele.)

NightMistBlue
11-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Did you like the program, Luv? I watched about 20 minutes but couldn't really relate. To me, Tom Waits sounds like Bruce Springsteen on his deathbed. Unique, yes. Someone I enjoy listening to, no thanks.

The Amy Winehouse bit was interesting.

LuvTim
11-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Yes, I watched it all the way through, but I was multitasking again (as usual.)

NightMistBlue
11-18-2016, 10:51 AM
The vocal episode (which I saw later last night, it was rebroadcast) was not the best. Why do a painfully long ten minutes on Cristina Aguilera and mere seconds on the Queen o' Soul?

The Electronic episode was pretty cool. It was especially eye-opening to learn about the two synthesizer pioneers who worked closely with Stevie Wonder for five years in the 70s, for a series of remarkable albums.

LuvTim
11-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Oh, yeah, the Stevie Wonder bits were sooo good.

Jonny Come Lately
11-19-2016, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Will keep an eye out for this episode. Your mention of fans reminded me of an idea I've had for a while - I'll post this in this section of the board.

I think one interesting thing about producers is how they have such different styles. You can see this with the Eagles - Bill S was much more laid-back than the rather headmaster-like Glyn Johns, but Glyn's approach would also contrast with someone like Bob Ezrin who often liked to play on his artists' records whereas I get the sense that Glyn favoured being a bit more distant from the musicians.

LuvTim
11-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Watching the Frankie Miller documentary, "Frankie Miller: Sending Me Angels." Love him and our dear Joe. Such a wonderful story. :heart:

Brooke
11-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Watched "Eight Days A Week" on the Beatles last night. Loved it and find it sad that they had to quit touring because it became such a nightmare for them. What were people that went to those concerts thinking? You probably couldn't even hear them play with all the screaming! I guess they were such a phenomenon that people (mostly women and girls) went crazy! It was pretty ridiculous. I'm glad that now days security has gotten a handle on this!

Great show!

shunlvswx
11-22-2016, 10:59 AM
That's understandable. Did those fans even know the words to the songs. LOL

What was interesting about the Beatles. Even though they stopped touring, they were still putting out no. 1 albums and singles and they didn't even go on tour for those albums. You can't do that these days.

UndertheWire
11-22-2016, 01:06 PM
According to Soundtracking, one of the reasons The Beatles stopped touring was they wanted to take their music in directions that they couldn't reproduce live. Though I can't image that playing live was much fun byt the end.

buffyfan145
02-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Finally got to watch Ron Howard's Beatles "Eight Days a Week" doc and it's great!!! :D He did a great job getting all that footage together and interviews with those who were at their concerts and traveled with them during the tours, and new ones with Paul & Ringo mixed with archives of John & George and even George Martin and Brian Epstein. The DVD too has another disc with it that has more bonus footage including 5 complete live song performances.

Brooke
02-24-2017, 12:57 PM
I watched it a couple months ago and really enjoyed it too, bf!

Pippinwhite
06-01-2017, 10:04 AM
The hubs gave me 8 Days for Christmas! Pleased.

"Fallen Angel" about Gram Parsons is interesting. It's a little disjointed in places, but the interviews are good.

"Muscle Shoals" is 10 kinds of awesome! Of course, I live 40 miles from there, so it really resonated with me. When they talked about the Tennessee River being the "singing river", I just got teary-eyed. I've lived on the banks of that old river all my life. (Glenn recorded part of "The Allnighter" there, of course.)

"Respect Yourself" is another great music documentary. Saw that one on PBS.

I've seen the Janis Joplin doc. Heartbreaking.

PBS also had a good documentary on the making of "Magical Mystery Tour." Probably better than the actual movie. LOLOL.

NightMistBlue
06-01-2017, 10:39 AM
"Respect Yourself" is another great music documentary. Saw that one on PBS.

The Stax Records story! That was so darn good, I watched it twice in a row.

Same deal with the Muscle Shoals doc. So what do you think about the singing lady in the river legend? Has she given you a song yet?

Pippinwhite
06-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Yep. "Take it to the Limit." :D

NightMistBlue
06-01-2017, 12:20 PM
D'oh! Randy must have gotten to the river lady before you then :)

Pippinwhite
06-01-2017, 01:18 PM
It's entirely possible. LOLOLOL.

UndertheWire
06-13-2017, 03:28 PM
I've just watched "Joe Cocker: Mad Dog With Soul" and found it quite moving. A fairly simple story of a talent who made it to the top and then fell apart and then there was the rest of his life.

Dawn
09-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Besides the HOTE I've really liked "George Harrison: Living in the Material World", "The Beatles Anthology", and I know I saw one on The Rolling Stones in one of my college classes but can't remember the title. I also loved watching "Behind the Music" and other shows like it for various genres of music as I love learning about musicians/bands and their stories. Really looking forward to seeing Ron Howard's new Beatles doc "Eight Days a Week" when it comes out on DVD in November, Justin Timberlake's he just put on Netflix, and there's one on Oasis coming out soon too.

Just watched Living in The Material World on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Directed by Martin Scorsese and released in October 2011 - I think this is the definitive documentary on George Harrison who left this world far too early and is dearly missed. If others haven't seen it yet and subscribe to Netflix, I hope you'll check it out.

New Kid In Town
09-18-2017, 01:07 PM
I loved the "The Beatles Anthology". Since I don't get Netflex I have not seen "Living in The Material World". :sigh: Can't beat anything Martin Scorsese does. He is one of my favorite directors.

buffyfan145
09-18-2017, 04:56 PM
I'm so glad it's on Netflix now and hope more are able to see it. Loved it so much!!! :D

UndertheWire
11-02-2017, 01:56 PM
I saw an advert for a new documentary on Rolling Stone Magazine. In the UK, it will be on Sky Arts starting 10th November. In the US, it's on HBO on Nov 6th and 7th. It's co-directed and produced by Alex Gibney.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/rolling-stone-stories-from-the-edge-alex-gibney-documentary-for-hbo-w510388

New Kid In Town
11-02-2017, 10:19 PM
UTW - Thanks for the heads up. I saw that advertised too.

Delilah
11-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Interesting that the documentary coincides with the release of Jann Wenner’s biography. I wonder if he’s going to sell the magazine.

New Kid In Town
11-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Delilah - I read in our local newspaper on Sunday that he is either selling or attempting to sell his 50%. It was mentioned as part of the review of the book.

New Kid In Town
11-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Just wanted to remind everyone if they have HBO, the RS documentary is on tonight and tomorrow.

Delilah
11-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Delilah - I read in our local newspaper on Sunday that he is either selling or attempting to sell his 50%. It was mentioned as part of the review of the book.

Ok, I must have read that somewhere but forgot. Thanks.

New Kid In Town
11-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Delilah - Your welcome ! :)

My My
11-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone if they have HBO, the RS documentary is on tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks for the reminder NKIT! I am going to record it.

New Kid In Town
11-07-2017, 11:42 AM
What did everyone think of the RS documentary ? I missed the first part as I was watching Dancing With The Stars - lol. The last hour was very interesting. Boy, Annie L. looks like she has been through a winger. It is amazing the amount of drugs around then. Hard to believe they were able to get work done. I had forgotten how young Cameron was -16-18 years old ! I have to say my parents would never have let me do something like that even if I had been a boy.
Part 2 tonight.

My My
11-07-2017, 03:14 PM
I haven't watched last nights recording yet, but appreciate you posting again about it. I guess I didn't read closely enough to realize it is a two part show. Will be sure to record part 2 tonight! Thanks NKIT!

Delilah
11-07-2017, 04:57 PM
I thought the documentary was interesting. I missed the very beginning too b/c I forgot it was coming on. AFAIK the Eagles were mentioned only once, when Cameron Crowe was being featured. It was cool to see how it got started and the vision of defining rock music not just as art but as part of the cultural landscape.

It seemed there was a lot of use of outside non-RS footage to explain current events at that time, like the Patty Hearst kidnapping; but the actual RS write-up was not discussed much.

And where did they get the video of all the groupie stuff? Did that come from the magazine?

I look forward to seeing Part 2 but I have a feeling it’s going to be kind of dry with the magazine settled in its new digs in NYC and going all yuppie-ish.

New Kid In Town
11-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Delilah - I wondered where they got that footage from too. I'm not sure if it was general file footage or RS footage. It was hard to tell.
Wonder if they will talk/show anything about the baseball game with the Eagles ?

My My
11-07-2017, 08:31 PM
I just finished watching part 1. I liked the beginning of it with the old footage of Monterey with Joplin, Hendricks. etc. I really enjoyed the parts about Tina Turner and John Lennon too. I thought the political part toward the middle with Hunter Thompson kind of dragged on. I was familiar with the Patty Hearst story, but not about the RS writer and how they were going to break a story about it all when she was caught.

I'm with you Delilah on wondering where some of the footage came from. It seems in all documentaries they just call up someone and say, "Hey, we need some footage of naked hippies!"

The Eagles were mentioned again briefly near the end when punk music was being discussed. The RS writer was discussing how at the time, so much of the music that was being played was either disco or groups like the Eagles or Linda Ronstadt who were becoming boring.

Delilah
11-07-2017, 08:47 PM
The Eagles were mentioned again briefly near the end when punk music was being discussed. The RS writer was discussing how at the time, so much of the music that was being played was either disco or groups like the Eagles or Linda Ronstadt who were becoming boring.

Oh ok thanks, My My. As you can see I wasn’t paying as close attention as I should have. I blame my husband who kept walking in and out of the room distracting me. :p

My My
11-07-2017, 09:14 PM
LOL, Delilah! Blaming the hubby is my usual MO too!

New Kid In Town
11-08-2017, 04:15 PM
I have to say I found the second part kind of boring and changed the channel. It was like watching the news. I thought part one was better.

My My
11-10-2017, 02:00 PM
I agree NKIT. I fast forwarded some of it myself.

Dawn
11-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Darn, I haven't seen it, sure wish I had.

New Kid In Town
11-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Dawn - If you get HBO they may repeat it. They usually do with specials like that. Like I said, I thought the first part was much better than the second part.

Dawn
11-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Ok, I'll keep an eye open for it! Thanks!

New Kid In Town
11-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Just a note - In case you missed the RS documentary it is on HBO tonight at 9pm EST.

MaryCalifornia
11-14-2017, 10:43 PM
I caught a new George Michael documentary on Showtime or HBO. Has anyone else seen it? He wrote and directed it, and its not that good - he should have let someone else do it. BUT, I think we took him for granted! His voice and singing....really amazing. I mean, nobody sings like that now - I can't think of anyone. I have moved him up into my top five singers along with Freddie Mercury and Eddie Vedder. Some of the music and entertainment industry luminaries who appear in the doc cried as his songs were played. I honestly never realized just how good he was.

New Kid In Town
11-14-2017, 11:50 PM
Hi Mary, it must have been on Showtime. Did you see the show today ? I don't get Showtime - I can't afford it. I just paid my $173.00 cable bill today. And that only includes major networks, CNN, TLC etc. The only prime channel I get is HBO. And, this is only internet and cable - not my phone.

UndertheWire
11-15-2017, 08:22 AM
I watched the George Michael doc a few weeks ago. It was very stylish but lacking in good "storytelling". Despite all the big names who took part, I found those parts rather dull.

The part where George described performing in the tribute to Freddie Mercury at a time where his own lover was dying of AIDS was quite moving. Also interesting to learn he directed his anger about the death of his lover into his legal battles with Sony.

shunlvswx
11-15-2017, 10:05 AM
I recorded George's documentary, but I haven't had the time to watch it.

New Kid In Town
11-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Hi Shun - Was that on Showtime ? Just wondering as I would watch it if I can. Thanks.

shunlvswx
11-15-2017, 11:21 AM
Yes. It was Showtime.

MaryCalifornia
11-15-2017, 08:25 PM
I watched the George Michael doc a few weeks ago. It was very stylish but lacking in good "storytelling". Despite all the big names who took part, I found those parts rather dull.

The part where George described performing in the tribute to Freddie Mercury at a time where his own lover was dying of AIDS was quite moving. Also interesting to learn he directed his anger about the death of his lover into his legal battles with Sony.

UTW, totally agree about being stylish, but lacking in good storytelling. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't "better" with all of the material they had, but then I saw that he did it himself. I liked how they played the records on that turntable, and I'll watch Mark Ronson in anything! He's in the Lady Gaga doc, too!

George's voice is just amazing in that Freddie Mercury tribute - crazy good.

I hope a legit director does another documentary about him.

Dawn
01-02-2018, 10:39 PM
I just rewatched the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers documentary on Netflix. It really is well done and I am glad it is available for fans and people who just want to know more about Tom, the band and their amazing legacy. RIP Tom, you will never be forgotten.

My My
03-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Showtime has been running a documentary called "Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars". It's a little over 2 hours long. I caught the end of it the first time and then recorded it. I've watched most of it now. It has lots of early footage including some Beatles stuff. It does go quite a bit into his relationships, including Patti Boyd. There is also a lot of information on all of his problems with addictions and the loss of his son. Some really sad stuff, but ends with him seemingly happy, healthy and content. It is on this morning at 9:45 eastern, but also lots of upcoming dates.

My My
10-31-2018, 02:04 PM
There is a really good documentary running on one of the Showtime channels called, "If I Leave Here Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd." I caught it earlier in the summer and watched it again last night. It has lots of great clips and interviews with band members. Lots of great music too. Gary Rossington, the only original band member left provides lots of insight into the band. Those guys in the band were some wild, rough dudes! If you're into southern rock, the seventies, or guitar playing, I think you'll enjoy it. It's on again this coming Saturday and several more times next week. I've recorded it and will keep it in my "library."

New Kid In Town
10-31-2018, 05:10 PM
TY Dawn and My My - They both sound very interesting. I don't get Netflix or Showtime. Wish I did...:sigh:

Dawn
10-31-2018, 10:41 PM
You are welcome NKIT! Thanks My My. I don't get Showtime either which is a bummer they do have some great documentaries. I do have Netflix. Want to see both of these might have to subscribe Showtime lol!

EaglesFan86
11-25-2018, 07:26 PM
The only music documentary I've seen is History Of The Eagles on DVD from my local library but in these past few momths in collecting vintage vinyl records I've come across the musician Townes Van Zandt and have been listening to his albums on YouTube clips, read some articles about him, found out that there is one documentary about him "Be Here To Love Me" and one from the 1970's called Heartworn Highways that features him along with other country artists who were on the outskirts of commercial country music at that time as I like to say. I hope to watch both of them in the coming year and find a few of Townes vinyl records.

Another artist I've gotten into is Gram Parsons. I didn't know of a documentary about him so to the member who has mentioned it earlier ~ thank you! I really like the country rock music of the 1970's and like his solo music albums too.

MarthaJo56
11-27-2018, 08:46 PM
I got really excited when I saw a "Rock Legends" documentary on the Eagles on AXS channel, so I recorded it. What an awful and untruthful piece of crap it is!
The "reporters" had so many facts wrong, it was like watching "fake news". The worst was the guy who said that Glenn went to California with Bob Seger and formed "Longbranch Pennywhistle".
When I could, I fast forwarded through their BS and just listened to the music.

sodascouts
12-05-2018, 12:14 AM
I got really excited when I saw a "Rock Legends" documentary on the Eagles on AXS channel, so I recorded it. What an awful and untruthful piece of crap it is!
The "reporters" had so many facts wrong, it was like watching "fake news". The worst was the guy who said that Glenn went to California with Bob Seger and formed "Longbranch Pennywhistle".
When I could, I fast forwarded through their BS and just listened to the music.

Seger and Glenn formed Longbranch Pennywhistle?! LOL! Oh my gosh! Where is the quality control?

WalshFan88
12-05-2018, 01:32 AM
LOL, I watched it tonight.

It was awful.

They kept saying Bernie "Lee-duhn" (instead of leh-duhn) too.

My My
12-09-2020, 10:55 PM
There is a new documentary, "The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" that will air on HBO this Saturday at 8:00. The trailer looked really interesting! I never owned a Bee Gees album, but I did have the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack which was almost a Bee Gees album...

shunlvswx
12-09-2020, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the remaining, My My. I guess I’ll be watching this and Vetsaid.

CAinOH
12-09-2020, 11:40 PM
There is a new documentary, "The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" that will air on HBO this Saturday at 8:00. The trailer looked really interesting! I never owned a Bee Gees album, but I did have the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack which was almost a Bee Gees album...

We went to see them at Riverfront Stadium. When they sang "Too Much Heaven" without the falsetto... that was great!

CAinOH
12-09-2020, 11:46 PM
There's a Harry Chapin documentary out... we're watching it now. "Harry Chapin: When in Doubt, Do Something." It's really good.

My husband (from Long Island) started talking about going to his concert on Long Island. Concert was delayed... delayed... delayed. Hubby went out to grab a cigarette, turned on the car radio. Harry Chapin didn't make it to the concert; he died in a car accident on the LIE. Then he says, "We had tickets to a Jim Croce concert. That never happened, either. We quit buying tickets to concerts for a while."

New Kid In Town
12-10-2020, 10:57 AM
There's a Harry Chapin documentary out... we're watching it now. "Harry Chapin: When in Doubt, Do Something." It's really good.

My husband (from Long Island) started talking about going to his concert on Long Island. Concert was delayed... delayed... delayed. Hubby went out to grab a cigarette, turned on the car radio. Harry Chapin didn't make it to the concert; he died in a car accident on the LIE. Then he says, "We had tickets to a Jim Croce concert. That never happened, either. We quit buying tickets to concerts for a while."

Hi CA how are you and your family doing ? I loved Harry Chapin ! I saw him in concert twice at the old Garden State Arts Center(now PNCAC). Both were great concerts - he had such a wonderful relationship with the crowd. I remember that day well, his death was all over on the news her in the NY/NJ/Ct. Metro area. He was such a good, kind person who did a lot for those facing hunger and hardship. His wife won a lawsuit against VW as a result of his acc./death. Such a great loss.

CA - What network was the special on ?

CAinOH
12-10-2020, 11:56 AM
CA - What network was the special on ?

It's available from Amazon Prime, but I got a DVD from the library. Here's the web site: https://www.harrychapinmovie.com/

I'm doing okay! Hope you are doing well as well. :)

Scamp
12-13-2020, 08:42 AM
AXSTV has some good concerts on today, Sunday 12/3, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Tom Petty comes on at 9:30 AM PST They've had a lot of Tom Petty lately.

New Kid In Town
12-14-2020, 01:26 PM
AXSTV has some good concerts on today, Sunday 12/3, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Tom Petty comes on at 9:30 AM PST They've had a lot of Tom Petty lately.

Shoot - I don't get AXSTV with my cable package.:sigh:
I did see a Tom Petty special last night on the REELZ channel. They also replayed the breakup of the Eagles. I have to laugh every time I see it because they got it so wrong. They blame the break up on Glenn being sloppy/messy, and said he was not as talented as Don and used Glenn's quote about having Don in the group. There is a part of me that wishes he never had said that because it is always used against him to show he finally recognized Don was more talented than him.

sodascouts
12-18-2020, 10:54 AM
When I finally dumped cable for YouTubeTV, AXSTV was probably the channel I missed most!

EaglesFanatic
12-29-2020, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know of any documentaries featuring Joni Mitchell, beyond the Rolling Thunder Revue?

KingWalsh
12-30-2020, 05:56 AM
Apparently Martin Scorcese did a documentary entitled Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese. Here is two links regarding the film that’s available on Netflix. Hope this helps.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80221016

https://www.openculture.com/2020/05/watch-joni-mitchell-sing-an-immaculate-version-of-her-song-coyote.html

KingWalsh
12-30-2020, 05:57 AM
Oh wait you wanted other than that. Sorry :brickwall: nevermind

Elle81
12-18-2022, 04:11 PM
Hey y'all, I found not just one but TWO music documentaries on YouTube that are about music from the 60s and 70s. The first one is entitled "California Rock: Under the covers" and it's about Henry Diltz, legendary rock photographer. Don and Glenn make an appearance, as well as Jackson Browne. The other one is the two part "Laurel Canyon" and (I believe there is already an existing thread out this already, so I won't go into great detail about it here) both are really good. Just wanted to give everyone who doesn't own any of these a heads up. They are free to watch on YouTube right now, however there seems to be something wrong with the sound quality of the Henry Diltz documentary. During the scenes with Don and Glenn, the sound seemed to get greatly muffled and they ended up sounding like those people who are interviewed for a true crime show and want their identities hidden. :hilarious:

Dreamer, if you think this can be moved to another topic or thread, I don't mind if you move it. I just didn't know where I could mention this as both documentaries are filled with classic rockers, not just our guys.

Scamp
12-19-2022, 08:35 AM
Elle81
I was lucky and saw them both on TV. I was actually able to find and record the Laurel Canyon series. I think it was on epix channel. There also was one with David Crosby, " Remember My Name" going through the canyon pointing out all the places and house where people lived back in the day and around Hollywood pointing out all the places, a lot of them not there anymore.
I have Direct TV and use the search a lot. I find some good ones if I search by a persons name or band name. Probably other tv services have a similar "search"
Isn't it neat when you make a find For me, living in SoCal, a lot of that is places I went as a kid and later during the 70's music scene. It was a good time. Like seeing music history in the making. Seeing all the guys before they were Eagles will be something that stays with me forever

Elle81
12-19-2022, 01:27 PM
Elle81
I was lucky and saw them both on TV. I was actually able to find and record the Laurel Canyon series. I think it was on epix channel. There also was one with David Crosby, " Remember My Name" going through the canyon pointing out all the places and house where people lived back in the day and around Hollywood pointing out all the places, a lot of them not there anymore.
I have Direct TV and use the search a lot. I find some good ones if I search by a persons name or band name. Probably other tv services have a similar "search"
Isn't it neat when you make a find For me, living in SoCal, a lot of that is places I went as a kid and later during the 70's music scene. It was a good time. Like seeing music history in the making. Seeing all the guys before they were Eagles will be something that stays with me forever

Yes!