PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart, Irving, and Don

DonFan
10-19-2006, 11:39 AM
The expected deal between Wal-mart and the Eagles stirred up a ton of comments yesterday. Bob Lefsetz wrote an impassioned piece (which can be read in its entirety elsewhere) that I found very interesting. For one, Lefsetz only referred to Irving and Don, leaving equal partner Glenn out of his tirade completely. An example:

"People just want to hear the old hits, if even that. And Irving Azoff is too stupid not to know that. And too mercenary to not want to get paid. And too afraid of Don Henley not to deliver. So what do you do? You make a deal with the devil."

(Uh, Glenn probably had something to do with this deal as well.)

I realize that Don is an easy target because of his very vocal stance against big business. However, these men are not stupid--they are very shrewd businessmen. Most of the time Lefsetz writes about how hard it is for any quality music to get played on a radio that is dominated by rap. The last song the Eagles released was mainly played on country stations. Personally, I think their music deserves wider exposure than that, and this deal with Wal-Mart may ensure that. Plus,Wal-Mart has renewed commitment to environmental concerns, which we all know is very near and dear to Don's heart.

That said, I found some of the other stuff he said to be very amusing:

"Selling the Eagles CD exclusively at Wal-Mart, and that's what's gonna happen, make no mistake, is a MASTERSTROKE! Can you imagine the HYPE, the HOOPLA, the retailer is going to create? The ADVERTISING? If the big box business plan is to sell small items cheap so people will come into the store and then pick up big items, a cheap Eagles album is NIRVANA!"

It's nirvana to me, that's for sure.

The bottom line, to me, is that I want a new Eagles album, no matter where I have to buy it.

sodascouts
10-19-2006, 12:00 PM
I noticed he focused his rant on Don and Irving, too, and I'm not sure why, unless he's uninformed about how things work with the Eagles. Maybe because Don has been more visible in the past he believes Don makes all the decisions and intimidates everyone else into doing his will, including Irving? Ha! It was probably Irving's idea! Yep, he basically seems uninformed. The Eagles have said that people come to hear the hits, yet he blasts them for being "too stupid" to know it. Do your research!

That said, I'm not a huge fan of an exclusivity deal with Walmart, just because I don't like it that even people who disagree with Walmart's policies will now be forced to shop there to get the new album of their favorite band. However, I'm hoping it's not an exclusivity deal, and that it's more of an extra promotional push.

Walmart is getting good at improving public relations, though. Some may argue they are simply attempting to buy credibility through donations rather than make fundamental changes to their policies, but regardless, the money is being donated and that's better than nothing.

And the Eagles will make more money from the deal with Walmart, even if their album doesn't sell a huge amount of copies or get much radio airplay.

Edited to add: I re-read the article and it does say there will be exclusivity. I just hope it's something like Lindsey Buckingham has with Barnes and Noble, where the CDs sold there have an extra track exclusively, and not the entire CD. Alternatively, I hope that the exclusivity is for a limited time if it is the entire CD.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Perfect Little Sister
10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I know many are upset by this but I, for one, don't have a music store in my town. How nice to not have to get on a freeway that is always packed and has at least one accident per day, drive for a half hour, attempt to find a parking place at the mall and then fight the crowds there to get to the record store. Instead I can drive 8 minutes on surface streets and buy this long awaited album. I'm just happy that the release is sounding more imminent.

~~~~

You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends,
After the thrill is gone.

Freypower
10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Dana.

Re the emphasis on Don and Irving - I really do think it is not common knowledge that Glenn is the leader of the band (and Don is his second in command). There are probably a lot of people who would describe themselves as loyal fans who would not know this. (Although really - watch F1. Even in HFO it's there, not just as obvious).

I'm starting to think I may have to ask one of you ladies to purchase this CD for me. I can't believe Australia would be left out of this. What are they going to do before the next Australian tour? Release it then?!

sodascouts
10-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Surely they will find a way to distribute this overseas regardless of any exclusivity deal. They would lose potential profits if they cut out the overseas market... and the Eagles don't miss any opportunity to make money. lol

Lissa - the band wouldn't have to make an exclusivity deal with Walmart to be sold there. Walmart stocks all profitable artists, so you would be able to get it there regardless.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Perfect Little Sister
10-20-2006, 12:02 PM
You can purchase from Walmart online as well.

And yes Nancy it wouldn't have to be exclusive but since my walmart sux and stocks mostly hip hop crap with this deal i know i will be able to find it there. :D

~~~~

You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends,
After the thrill is gone.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-20-2006, 10:16 PM
I think Don is an easier target for criticism than Glenn on this kind of stuff just because of his public persona. Some people perceive Don as being serious, with no sense of humor, and "preachy" when he talks publicly about social issues. While I don't agree with this perception, I can see why some unknowing people may get that impression. Glenn's public persona is more of a happy-go-lucky charming guy who doesn't take things too seriously, so I think unknowing people may be less likely to take shots at him.

Now about Walmart, I'd bet good money that there is a timeline in the deal with them. The agreement is probably good for the initial peak marketing period after the CD is released. I can't imagine it not being sold on Amazon eventually. I think I'm finally past the "I'll believe it when I see it" mindset now. For the first time I really believe there definately is going to be a new CD. Honestly, I'm one of those that would be okay with or without it. I really do hope that if it happens that they stay true to the formula that made them so great to begin with - real collaborations between Don and Glenn and not too many covers. Aw - what the hell am I talking about ... if it's the Eagles, I'll love it! I just want another tour - I don't care what they sing! ;)

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

SweetHolly
03-16-2007, 04:56 AM
I really do hope that if it happens that they stay true to the formula that made them so great to begin with - real collaborations between Don and Glenn and not too many covers. Aw - what the hell am I talking about ... if it's the Eagles, I'll love it! I just want another tour - I don't care what they sing!
yeah. I'll love it. As long as it's the Eagles. That's all it'll take for me to be happy. :D

EaglesFreak
03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, I'm a smidge late to this topic but here goes:

I was a bit shocked when I heard that the CD would be sold only at Wal-Mart too until I heard their reasoning behind it. I'm not a Wal-Mart fan at all but I would have gleefully traveled to the end of the world to ANY store just to get the CD. Luckily, our Wal-Mart is one of the brand new "green" stores. Just like Donfan said, it's Nirvana to me and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

sodascouts
03-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, I agree with the mentality that I'd go pretty much any place to get the Eagles CD!

samo
03-21-2008, 03:55 PM
I think it was a stroke of genius on their part. They have had their day with big record companies and all of the hassles that go along with it. They accomplished the same thing, i.e. getting their new cd sold without the headache.

Also, like SodaScouts, I would go pretty much anywhere to buy it....

amusefilms
04-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I think they did it because of how the music business has changed so much in the last few years.
They’ve always been an ALBUM band. Some songs are meant to be hits and some are not.
I don’t feel they think of writing just hits. If you talk to many Eagles fans often the obscure songs tend to be their favorites.
Don’t get me wrong, I love many of their popular ones, but sometimes their stuff is more personal and they never intended for them to be chart toppers. Walmart (again, I’m not a fan of this store either) gave them the opportunity to release an ALBUM, not just mp3 downloads. Well…that’s my take on this.

TimothyBFan
04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
I don’t feel they think of writing just hits. If you talk to many Eagles fans often the obscure songs tend to be their favorites.

See, I just welcomed you in the New Kid thread and here I am already agreeing with you. I think you are spot on here. One of my top 5 songs from them is King Of Hollywood which I would consider obscure.

amusefilms
04-17-2009, 11:46 AM
THANKS! Yes, I love that song too! Don’t get me started…. Is It True, My Man, The Sad Café, Hollywood Waltz, Good Day In Hell, Chug-All-Night…the list goes on and on!

sodascouts
04-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Hmm, I never thought of it that way before! Interesting take!

TimothyBFan
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Disco Strangler, Greeks Don't Want No Freaks... (let's see if we get a response here from our fearless leader Soda--who absolutely loves Disco Strangler) :hilarious:

sodascouts
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
LOL! She baits me!

Disco Stranger = Worst. Eagles. Song. EVER!

JMHO of course!

amusefilms
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
That's funny...I was like..."ooooohhh...I just got here and I don't want to cause any trouble...but...Disco Strangler...OUCH!"
That was a close one!
LOVE THIS BOARD!!

Freypower
04-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Welcome, AF.

Out Of Control, Outlaw Man, Ol' 55 and apparently certain songs from LROOE that will never be played live, i.e. ILTWAWD (although that was played solo), WDIDWMH, YANA, IYWN, etc. :weep:

DonFan
04-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Disco Stranger = Worst. Eagles. Song. EVER!

Amen to that, Soda! :yuck:

And welcome to the board, AF. We're glad you found us!

TimothyBFan
04-20-2009, 08:49 AM
You guys are much to harsh to that masterful piece of music! :hilarious: It's grown on me over the years since it is hubby's favorite Eagles song (I'm embarrassed to say-as Soda knows and has unsuccessfully tried on a couple of occasions to convince him is wrong!;))

Freypower
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I maintain there is nothing wrong with it. Compared with a couple of tracks from OOTN, it is a masterpiece. It is very 'cutting edge' for a band who were accused of being the epitome of 'soft rock'.

sodascouts
04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
No need to apologize, FP. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, vastly different as they may be!

TimothyBFan
04-21-2009, 08:56 AM
FP--I pretty much agree with you--I have always liked it but it has really grown on me over the years because of Larry. He truly thinks it's the best Eagles song there is. I don't really consider it a masterpiece but I do indeed think it's a pretty great song. Soda and I have had several discussions about that and agree to disagree on the subject! :hilarious: