PDA

View Full Version : Bernie - a band type of guy?

sodascouts
09-10-2010, 11:55 PM
I have always thought it was intriguing that Bernie, despite his considerable talents, never seemed very interested in pursuing a solo career. Even his 1977 album Natural Progressions was done with Michael Georgiades, and that was at the height of his name recognition. (Another curious part of that: no co-writes with Georgiades).

After that, he went from band to band until Mirror, and now he's gone back to playing behind others. I would LOVE to see him do more solo stuff, play more shows, sing more leads when he plays with others.... I'm sure I'm not the only one. I wonder why he doesn't seem to want to go that route?

GettheLeadonOut!!
09-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Interesting observation soda and i think you're right. Seems like Bernie's MO when he'd arrive in a new town, was to head to the local guitar shop to meet fellow musicians, whether it was the Blue Guitar in San Diego (where he first met Chris Hillman), Fred Walecki's Westwood Music in LA or Gainesville where he inquired about and met Felder. That strategy certainly worked out for him.

Bernie has described himself as a great "utility infielder" but I think he is just being modest because he enjoys playing with others. but I do wish he would get a band together and tour to play so many of his great songs. I'd give anything to hear him pull out his banjo and just let loose.

sodascouts
09-14-2010, 12:47 AM
I'd give anything to hear him pull out his banjo and just let loose.

Like the end of Earlybird! Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the main part of the song but that banjo solo at the end of the live version... dang! Amazing! Makes it worth the tweets. :wink:

Ive always been a dreamer
09-17-2010, 11:51 PM
This is an interesting observation, Soda. Obviously, anything I have to say on this matter is sheer speculation, but I agree that Bernie just doesn't seem like the type that wants to be a front man. Some people are just more comfortable staying in the background, which is probably why he was never interested in launching a solo career. I also think that partly explains why Bernie may have not been as comfortable being an Eagle once the band began achieving mega success. And from everything I've read and pieced together, it seems to me that Randy was very similar. I think both men wanted a certain measure of success, but not the kind that comes with superstardom.

And Soda - sorry to disagree with you, but even the awesome banjo solo at the end of Earlybird doesn't jusify those tweets, IMHO. :lol:

sodascouts
09-18-2010, 12:18 AM
I wonder if Bernie knew he didn't want to be a megastar early on, or it was only when it hit him full blast that he realized it wasn't what he wanted?

GettheLeadonOut!!
09-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Bernie definitely wanted fame and fortune but I think he was frustrated by the relative failure commercially of the band's he had been in, most notably the Flying Burrito Brothers. That's why he quit that band and immediately sought out Glenn and his recruits who had the deal with Geffen, who was A-list management and could get them the success he wanted.

ultimately, i just don't think Bernie was comfortable as an arena rock star. His first loves were acoustic, bluegrass and country and, especially after the failure of the Desperado album, the band was moving towards more straight ahead stadium rock where his banjo stylings weren't as appreciated.