PDA

View Full Version : Purdue Exponent Cartoon Causes Uproar

sodascouts
09-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Last Friday, a cartoon was printed in Purdue University's student newspaper in a column entitled "Sexual Position of the Week." It depicts non-consensual sex (aka rape) as a "sexual position" and plays it for laughs. There's been a big uproar about it. It will be interesting to see how it is dealt with by the editorial board and if the school's administration will comment. Personally, I was appalled. If you're morbidly curious, here is the link (posted by a student group protesting the cartoon) - ETA: I had to remove the link because the site was hacked, but you can see the cartoon here (http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/39/2010/09/500x_purdue_cartoon920.jpg).

I hope it at least engenders discussion about what exactly rape is - that it doesn't have to be violent to be violation.

EagleLady
09-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Stuff like that makes me ill. Rape is nothing to take lightly

Ive always been a dreamer
09-20-2010, 01:05 AM
You know the sad thing about this is that the editors that published this didn't even realize that this is rape. I guess that's the core of the problem. If nothing else, maybe some good will come out of this and it will at least open up a dialogue to bring more awareness to the issue.

eaglesvet
09-20-2010, 04:15 PM
I spent quite a bit of time reading the comments to the editors, too. Amazing that such a thing could be printed. I hope they have printed a retraction/apology by now.

bernie's bender
09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Amazing that such a thing could be printed.

exactly. I only want freedom of the press when it suits me!

I'm guessing the authors were sophomores.

ticky
09-21-2010, 02:32 PM
exactly. I only want freedom of the press when it suits me!

I'm guessing the authors were sophomores.

There's freedom of the press and then theres inciting social irresponsibility and the idea that a violent crime like rape is OKAY and even comical. The press has to have some responsibility in what it chooses too print. You can scream freedom of the press as much as you want, but someone somewhere chooses what to print and that choice IS Bias! So do we bias it towards social irresponsibility and shock value? or do we choose to report on reality? Reality, in this case, is that rape is a violent crime, not a joke. By printing a cartoon like that, they are pandering to the absolute lowest and basest part of humanity. I occasionally get teenagers screaming the F word over and over in the park across the street in the middle of the night. Is THAT freedom of speech? I dont have a problem with freedom of the press, but I do have a problem with a lack of responsibility in that freedom.

09-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Very well stated ticky. ITA!

sodascouts
09-22-2010, 01:51 AM
It seems the university agrees. 5 top administrators wrote this in a letter to the Purdue Exponent's editor:

===================

As an independent student newspaper, you have the right to publish without interference from the Purdue administration. However, as members of the University community, we have the responsibility to point out messages that threaten the dignity and safety of our students and jeopardize the tolerant and respectful environment we strive to create and sustain.

The “comic” that you published in the Sept. 17 issue appears to celebrate non-consensual sex or rape. There is nothing celebratory about rape. Rape is a tragic offense to the person involved and is an extreme offense against our community standards. As educators, we ask you to consider the various perspectives this image invokes. How would a person in such a position feel? What does the reader take away about Purdue students? What kind of behavior might such a cartoon condone? We encourage you to examine the individual rights you suggest denying while engaging in your right to free speech.

While respecting free speech, we urge you to respect Purdue University’s values and commitment to create an inclusive environment that promotes tolerance and respect of every individual, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference or political views. We feel the cartoon published Sept. 17th has no redeeming features. We write here to express and reinforce our shared values in support of human dignity.

We were heartened to see your apology in Monday’s paper. We encourage you to be more thoughtful and reflective in your editorial review by balancing your freedom of speech with your responsibility to the Purdue community.

TIMOTHY D. SANDS
Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost

MELISSA E. EXUM
Vice President for Student Affairs

BEVERLY DAVENPORT SYPHER
Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs

G. CHRISTINE TAYLOR
Vice Provost for Diversity & Inclusion

A. DALE WHITTAKER
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs

=====================================

And here's the Apology from the Editor (http://www.purdueexponent.org/?module=article&story_id=22566) herself.

bernie's bender
09-22-2010, 02:26 AM
They did so much better this time vs. the time Indiana hero Bobby Knight said "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."

Look at the progress the hoosiers are making!

I guess it is safe to 'be back home in Indiana' (now)

I was so worried the cartoon was going to incite america's youth to commit sex partner swapping/rape!

Hey, Didn't Mike Tyson rape that girl in Indianapolis before this comic?

What is it with Indiana and rape?

sodascouts
09-22-2010, 02:31 AM
I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is.

bernie's bender
09-22-2010, 02:57 AM
Nice to see your true colors show through Soda.

sodascouts
09-22-2010, 03:05 AM
I'm being absolutely sincere. I hope that not only your daughter, but every other person on this planet, never has to find out how "funny" rape is. Unfortunately, many already have.... and they're not laughing.

Perhaps you understand the seriousness of rape a little better now. And if you want to keep my quote as your sig, more power to ya. It's things like that which help people to realize that rape victims are real people - somebody's daughter, sister, even mother... and it changes their perspective.

bernie's bender
09-22-2010, 03:24 AM
If that is you being sincere, you've got a long way to go to become convincing.

You have no idea who the people are on this site or what life experiences they have had and yet you chose to personalize this with me.

I realize that dissenting on any topic on this site brings the wrath of Sodascouts (one reason the site is so small, people leave after being bullied.)

At some point, you may have children of your own.. at that point, you might also learn something about your sincere statement, in the meantime bask in your hubris.

If those kids never post the comic, they never learn... strangely, their own commmunity was able to help them.. they didn't need the potshots from eagles online... you'll note the administration disagreed with the comic and found it repugnant (you'll also note since reading is part of your day job, that I never once said the comic was funny or good.. but, actually reading and understanding can be difficult when you've already made up your mind.)

Some people's kids.

sodascouts
09-22-2010, 04:12 AM
The fact that you actually assumed I wasn't sincere in a matter like this shocks me. That's downright disturbing. What kind of people are you associating with, that you default to THAT?

My statement is one that echos the type of statement many rape counseling groups use to promote understanding. I know because I've volunteered at women's centers. Have you never heard of humanizing the victim before? Honestly, I wasn't even 100% sure you had a daughter, but I took a gamble and if it made you think, it was worth it.

Ah well. I won't belabor the point. Hopefully by now everybody gets it.

I am sorry that you feel bullied by my stark statement. That was not my intent. It does surprise me, though, that when I challenge your statements, you get agitated and cry that I'm stifling dissent and bullying you. It's called debate, Bender. What did you expect? This is a controversial topic. If I disagree with you, I'll say so, and I'll use the rhetorical tools at my disposal. Now, if I deleted your posts, that would be stifling dissent.

Our board is indeed small. We have no pretensions to be anything more than a group of fans talking about the Eagles, and a few other conversational topics that pop up.

However, I must point out the flaws in your theory that the board is small due to bullying. The very few people who have accused me of bullying are still here, so I must be doing something right. ;) It's not as if we're the only place to talk about the Eagles. Indeed, if you are unhappy with the way I administrate the board, you could always investigate whether another Eagles message board might be more to your liking (although I'm afraid the other Eagles boards are no bigger - another factoid that weakens your assumption of causality).

This is an intense topic. However, I'm glad we're having this dialogue. These are difficult things to talk about, but they need to be discussed. In that sense, the cartoon has been beneficial, because it brings them to light. The students aren't the only ones who can learn from it.

MikeA
09-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Is there a criminal issue with this "comic" notwithstanding the obvious one concerning Freedom of Speech?

What I mean is, Does Freedom of Speech make it possible for anyone to describe in detail how to commit a criminal act?

The reason I bring this up: When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I lived in Dallas and split the rent on an apartment with a guy who I later found out was on probation. His crime was describing in detail to a group of kids, how to break into a Pharmacy. He didn't participate in any way and received no benefit from the crime these boys committed. I mean, he took the discussion he'd had with them to be one of "intellectual discussion" with no intent of committing that crime himself. Well the boys did in fact attempt a robbery of the pharmacy and did get caught and told the police that my roommate had told them how to "do it".

He was arrested, tried and convicted. Among the charges brought against him was contribution to the delinquency of minors (apparently one of the boys was under 18). I really don't remember the other charges he was tried on. His probation was for 5 years. I can't recall if he ever actually served hard time for it.

Point is, isn't RAPE a criminal act? Is there criminal issue at stake here that would supersede Freedom of Speech?

Or did my roommate just have a lousy lawyer who didn't realize that Tommy was exercising Freedom of Speech?

Troubadour
09-22-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm sorry Mike - I can't answer your question, but I hope someone can because it's an interesting point.

I wanted to post a couple of links, one to a blog, one to a newspaper article, about the 'rise of rape talk' in our culture. I'm sorry if this is veering off topic a little, but I think it's still relevant and might be of interest to people concerned with this subject. One of my friends linked to these on Facebook the other day and I read them both, so they were in my mind while I was reading the discussion of the cartoon case. Worth reading, anyway.

One of them mentions the scene in the Richard Curtis film, The Boat That Rocked, which is reminiscent of the cartoon, in which a guy swaps places with another guy halfway through the sexual act, without the girl knowing. I don't recall any uproar about that... but when you read articles like this, it really does make you think about how casual and light-hearted references to rape (and it IS rape) prevail in our society.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/sep/10/the-rise-of-rape-talk?CMP=twt_gu

http://www.fugitivus.net/2009/06/24/a-woman-walks-into-a-rape-uh-bar/

Eve
09-22-2010, 07:38 AM
However, I must point out the flaws in your theory that the board is small due to bullying. The very few people who have accused me of bullying are still here, so I must be doing something right. ;)

In leaving, which I certainly would if not for a handful of people, the bully (You) wins.

eaglesvet
09-22-2010, 09:11 AM
It seems the university agrees. 5 top administrators wrote this in a letter to the Purdue Exponent's editor:

===================

As an independent student newspaper, you have the right to publish without interference from the Purdue administration. However, as members of the University community, we have the responsibility to point out messages that threaten the dignity and safety of our students and jeopardize the tolerant and respectful environment we strive to create and sustain.

The “comic” that you published in the Sept. 17 issue appears to celebrate non-consensual sex or rape. There is nothing celebratory about rape. Rape is a tragic offense to the person involved and is an extreme offense against our community standards. As educators, we ask you to consider the various perspectives this image invokes. How would a person in such a position feel? What does the reader take away about Purdue students? What kind of behavior might such a cartoon condone? We encourage you to examine the individual rights you suggest denying while engaging in your right to free speech.

While respecting free speech, we urge you to respect Purdue University’s values and commitment to create an inclusive environment that promotes tolerance and respect of every individual, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference or political views. We feel the cartoon published Sept. 17th has no redeeming features. We write here to express and reinforce our shared values in support of human dignity.

We were heartened to see your apology in Monday’s paper. We encourage you to be more thoughtful and reflective in your editorial review by balancing your freedom of speech with your responsibility to the Purdue community.

TIMOTHY D. SANDS
Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost

MELISSA E. EXUM
Vice President for Student Affairs

BEVERLY DAVENPORT SYPHER
Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs

G. CHRISTINE TAYLOR
Vice Provost for Diversity & Inclusion

A. DALE WHITTAKER
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs

=====================================

And here's the Apology from the Editor (http://www.purdueexponent.org/?module=article&story_id=22566) herself.

A pretty amazing apology letter from an editor, that's for sure. Never read one like that before. You can tell that the staff really regretted what they did.

EaglesFanatic
09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
One of them mentions the scene in the Richard Curtis film, The Boat That Rocked, which is reminiscent of the cartoon, in which a guy swaps places with another guy halfway through the sexual act, without the girl knowing.

That kind of reminds me of a scene in Pirate Radio. It's interesting to see what our society has labeled "funny" to be. I have never really put much thought into the deeper aspect of these types of movies/cartoons until now, simply because there has never been controversial conversation brought up about it. I agree that we do have freedom of speech, but I also believe in a little thing called common sense. Sure, the publishers and writers need to produce things based off of their clientele's interests, and I hate to admit it, but people do find these kind of comics to be funny. BUT, a portion of their readers are bound to be women/feminists. I'm sure they're aware of the brouhaha that could possibly come as a result of their disputable comics. To me, this means that the majority find these kind of jokes funny, because they've got to have a good reason to publish it.
Yeah, I think I just rambled on for a whole paragraph :hilarious: sorry if I didn't make any sense lol

Troubadour
09-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Oh, yes! I'm pretty sure the film was released as "Pirate Radio" in the States, and "The Boat That Rocked" in the UK. So we're thinking of the same scene.

TimothyBFan
09-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Just got the chance to read the apology and the other letter. My first impression when I found out that the editor was a young lady was shock to be honest. She sounds very sincere in her apology which I'm glad to see. So many times when someone offends someone publicly and then apologizes, you know that it isn't sincere and that the only reason they are doing it is because they feel obligated to do so. I'm sure anyone who reads my post knows that I am a believer in speaking your mind.

That being said, I must also address something else. I have to question why anyone would stay somewhere that you can easily leave if you feel you are being bullied or unwanted. I belong to several Rock N Roll boards for various groups and have never felt that way but am pretty sure that if I did, I'd be gone in a flash. I love these bands and wish to DISCUSS them with anyone who will, I will also debate with anyone who might not agree with me but I'm sure I wouldn't be bullied and stick around. I read pretty much every word on this board and can honestly say, I have never seen anyone bullied or forced off this board for just debating a topic or speaking their mind. I do, however, feel there are those who like to "stir the pot" and just try to get a rise out of other members or administrators and again have to ask myself why? It saddens me when I see any topic turn ugly for no apparent reason other than someone trying to stir up trouble with no regards to someone else's feelings. I have little tolerance for those who purposely say and do things with no other motivation than to hurt someone or stir up controversy. So I guess my advice to anyone who thinks this board is "small" and they are just being bullied, you should probably seek entertainment elsewhere.

This is coming from an Indiana girl who is proud of her state!

MikeA
09-22-2010, 10:39 AM
That question I raised was no backhanded stab at Nancy or BB or anyone else. It was not cloaked sarcasm. It was a serious question I have about the legality of describing how to commit a criminal act and how that relates to "Free Speech".

If I knew how, could I post openly for all to read, exactly how to create a weapon of mass destruction? Or a fool-proof way to embezzle money. Or commit murder and get away with it?

I know, a lot of that has already been done (or at least I've heard that it has been done on the Internet), but is it "Legal" under the Freedom Of Speech clause?

EagleLady
09-22-2010, 10:41 AM
In leaving, which I certainly would if not for a handful of people, the bully (You) wins.

How is Nancy the bully exactly? Bender makes fun of a lot of serious stuff.

Troubadour
09-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't think the intention of your post was ever in doubt, Mike. :) I'd love to know the answer, too! It's an interesting topic.

TimothyBFan
09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't think the intention of your post was ever in doubt, Mike. :) I'd love to know the answer, too! It's an interesting topic.

Exactly!!! Me also!

ticky
09-22-2010, 11:37 AM
I just want to put this out here... one in three women in this country are abused sexually sometime in their life. The long term effects of this can be alcoholism, drug abuse, depression, anxiety, inability to trust, not to mention the actual physical effects like the inability to swallow, self abuse, fear and suicide. NOW.. if one in three women have suffered or will suffer sexual abuse in their life time, HOW MANY of the women here do you think suffer this?? And isnt making fun of rape or supporting people who do bullying JUST as much as the kids who hold down the weak kid in school so the big guy can punch him in the stomach and take his lunch money? If the mere thought of someone hurting your child is enough for you to cry bully! maybe you need to redefine your values. I hope to GOD your child never has to suffer through anything like this, but lets not support those people who not only make hurting others seem "okay" but make it funny(?)
I hate to think of my children ever being hurt by someone else, but its a nightmare every parent endures and it's never so far in my subconscious or out of my thoughts that someone else mentioning something horrible or unspeakable doesnt makes me thank God for my children's safety and choke up a little about someone else's daughter/sister/mother having to go through it.

timfan
09-22-2010, 06:37 PM
well said Ticky! ITA

EagleLady
09-22-2010, 06:51 PM
That's why I would advocate the death penalty for Rapists.

Nobody'sBeach
09-22-2010, 06:58 PM
They have to be convicted first, in open court (not to mention the initial report has to be filed, investigated, and sent to the prosecutor).

Btw, what was she wearing, how much had she had to drink (oh, there was something in that drink?), how many partners had she had in the past, what was she doing there in the first place..?

You get the idea.

EagleLady
09-22-2010, 07:04 PM
That's our Justice System. Ain't pretty.

ticky
09-22-2010, 09:27 PM
besides the fact that one in ten men and women convicted in this country are actually innocent. I know that's a real unpopular idea, but imagine if it were your brother or father accused and facing these penalties. Our system is NOT by any means perfect but it's the best one out there. All I ask is for each and every one of us to be responsible for what we put out there in this world, that includes the news media.

Nobody'sBeach
09-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Not to belabor the point, but does anyone remember, a long long time ago, when a wife (legally) was not obligated to testify against her husband?

So, whatever anybody called it…it wasn’t rape.

And, no matter what its technicality status, he couldn't (among other things) kidnap her either. Of course, that was then...

09-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Yep, NB. I do remember. All I've got to say is ... thank goodness, this is now!

jdubfan
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
They did so much better this time vs. the time Indiana hero Bobby Knight said "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."
Look at the progress the hoosiers are making!

I guess it is safe to 'be back home in Indiana' (now)

I was so worried the cartoon was going to incite america's youth to commit sex partner swapping/rape!

Hey, Didn't Mike Tyson rape that girl in Indianapolis before this comic?

What is it with Indiana and rape?

I fail to see your point with these comments.
As a Hoosier and a PU alum, I think there are many "teachable moments" in this situation. I am not condoning the publication of the cartoon, but this act was done by kids that are media influenced from the moment they hit the ground. Some say it's bs, but I think it's influenced this crop of kids as no other, and not in a good way. Who hasn't made fun, been crude, or hurtful of a situation at another's expense? When we were young, imature and irresponsible it's part of life. But now there are media figures making millions on this kind of Shock stuff. Howard Stern comes to mind. This, IMO was a similar act, made by some young, very stupid kids. And everything with technology today is a very visible outlet. We're deluged by similar things daily on sex, race, religious offensiveness. It desensitizes people to the cruelty of words and actions, especially the young or stupid - As reflected in the above comments that I've quoted. One would hope we would advance our thinking, and these kinds of attitudes towards woman and others would have evolved by now. As a glimpse into our morality as a culture, we're regressing, not proceeding as one would hope. My friend has a freshman girl at PU, and I know this is a big discussion on campus. Hopefully this cloud will have a silver lining and some of these knuckle-dragging mouth breathers will learn something. We can only hope.