PDA

View Full Version : MudJacking

MikeA
09-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Hopefully the last step in restoring our pool to the way it should be. Big voids underneath the concrete deck (remember the SKUNKS I had living under our swimming pool a few years ago?).

The solution is "mudjacking". Have to fill in the area under the concrete where the ground has settled or washed away or WHATEVER it did. There is a company in Wichita that does the "mudjacking". They drill a hole 1.5" in diameter and pump a mixture of sandy-loam soil and portland concrete to make a mud mortar. There is enough pressure there to actually lift sunken concrete back to level. They do a lot of concrete step leveling and driveway repair.

Well, this stuff they pump in looks like chocolate banana poop coming out of the line they pump through!

Sure hope this works!

Here's a link to a couple of photos I shot of them doing the prep and pumping. Pretty fascinating to tell the truth!

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2010_0924/2010_0924.html

Ive always been a dreamer
09-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Me too, Mike. Sounds nasty, but effective! :thumbsup:

MikeA
09-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I hope so (that it's effective). This is NOT the kind of work they normally do.
They are usually leveling outdoor concrete steps or huge slabs of driveway concrete....even basement flooring and patio flooring.

This is a "first" for them.

Brooke
09-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Interesting Mike! Hope it all gets done soon for you.

MikeA
09-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Pretty amazing what they did, and it does look as though it was effective....filled in all the void space under the deck.

The only problem was that the pump they used leaked oil. That is not particularly attractive on a SWIMMING POOL DECK! I scrubbed that sucker for hours with a heavy steel brush and got most of the spots the pump used to mark its territory!