PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

WalshFan88
09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Just wanted to say Hello to everyone here!

I've been a long-time lurker and have been on this site and forum many times as I am a big Eagles fan (especially Joe Walsh, who is my guitar hero) and I wanted to join and say hello. I don't if I will be active on here everyday but I wanted to say hello and I will check in from time to time.

A bit about me: I play guitar in a band called the Stone Eagles with some friends. The name comes from my two favorite bands (the Rolling Stones and, of course, the Eagles) and we play Classic rock music but more than half of our set is Eagles/Stones music and although we don't tour or play much, we do play off and on throughout the year when everyone has a free schedule. My guitar hero is Joe Walsh and I'm also a fan of Don Felder as well, but Joe Walsh is one of the biggest reasons I started playing after I heard all of his work in the James Gang, solo, and on Hotel California and The Long Run.

I'm very passionate about guitars and I have so far collected about 30 various guitars (ranging from Gibson Les Pauls to vintage 12-string Yamaha acoustics!). I am medically disabled with some pretty severe medical problems since birth which keeps me from having a full time job and so my day mainly consists of playing music and playing with my band on the weekends. I also repair computers from home or onsite, which I do as a part time type of thing and fix them for people and that sort of thing.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone - I really like this site and all of the information, pictures, and videos on here. :) I've always been a huge Eagles fan and after lurking here on the forums for a long time, I decide to join and say hello and say thanks to the creator of this great site (the best on the Eagles as far as I am concerned!).

Austin

Brooke
09-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Welcome to The Border, Austin! Glad you finally decided to join! You'll find lots of friendly Eagle lovers to talk to here!

So, have you gotten to see them live yet?

WalshFan88
09-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes I have seen them live and it was one of THE greatest nights of my life. I was 8th row on September 25th, 2008 in Chicago at United Center on the right side. It was one of the long 3 hour concerts but it still wasn't long enough! I loved every minute of it!

It's good seeing everyone having a good time, and lightening up during Joe's set and seeing his many guitar changes he does! And they sound absolutely phenomenal live, even perhaps better now than they did in the 70s on the records! You can tell they really rehearse and work on the vocal parts. My personal favorite singer is Don Henley, but it happens I sing all of Glenn Frey's songs in my band instead of Henley's, and I like Frey's songs just as well, but as far as singer, Henley is my favorite.

It was great to see them live and I hope they come back soon. I wasn't able to go when they went to Soldier Field because I was in the hospital having tests (no fun but had to do it).

Ive always been a dreamer
09-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Welcome Austin. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border. If you've been lurking for a while, then you know that we love to talk about the Eagles. Hope you will join in, too. Good luck with your band. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
09-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks!!! :)

sodascouts
09-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Welcome Austin! Glad to have you! Thanks for the kind words about the site. Hopefully you'll like it here!

Koala
10-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Welcome Austin, hope you have a great time here!

EaglesFanatic
10-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Welcome from me too. Enjoy your time here on The Border!

timfan
10-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Welcome Austin. I'm so pleased you've decided to join us! Your band sounds like loads of fun; it's too bad you don't get to play more often but hopefully in the future that'll change.

MikeA
10-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Yo Austin!

Thirty freakin' Guitars! I want to grow up to be like YOU! There is a topic over in the "Off Topic" area called "Gearheads" and I'd love to hear the details on ALL of those gits...what they are, why you got it, what your #1 is...how many times you've dropped it..WHATEVER!

People think I'M obsessive and I only have 4!

Oh, Welcome to the site.

TimothyBFan
10-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Stop it Mike---your gushing!! :grin:

Wish to welcome you also, Austin. Your band's name also reflects my husband & I's favorite bands, (Eagles for me and the Stones for him!).

And you're right--this is by far the best site on the Eagles.

WalshFan88
10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!

And Mike - I'm heading over to the Gearheads thread right now!!! :) I'm a bit obsessed with guitars!

whitcap
10-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the Border!

WalshFan88
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the Border!

Thanks! :)

Stars
10-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Welcome, Austin! I think you'll love it here!:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
10-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm a little late to the party but hi Austin and welcome! It's always nice to see another Walsh fan on the board!

WalshFan88
10-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks!!! I really like it here! :)

AmarilloByMorning
10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Howdy Austin! Welcome to the fray. Glad you decided to join us.

Whoa on the guitars... You do Mr. Walsh proud. Do you have any particular brand of you favor? I'm a Martin girl.

I'm a Fighting Illini native, so it warms my stone heart to have another Borderer from the Land of Lincoln.

Tamsin

WalshFan88
10-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Howdy Austin! Welcome to the fray. Glad you decided to join us.

Whoa on the guitars... You do Mr. Walsh proud. Do you have any particular brand of you favor? I'm a Martin girl.

I'm a Fighting Illini native, so it warms my stone heart to have another Borderer from the Land of Lincoln.

Tamsin

I'm partial to Gibson guitars, but Fender's are my second favorite. For acoustics I prefer Taylor or Martin. I prefer a brighter janglier acoustic sound than a deeper bassier acoustic sound. I like the jangly acoustic sounds by the Beatles and such so I go for Taylor's Grand Auditoriums or square shouldered Martins with a bit more treble to them. I'd like to try a Gibson Hummingbird someday. My dream guitar is a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Cherry Sunburst, but it will forever stay a dream as long as it keeps its current value (close to 1 million dollars). All of my heroes played one from Joe Walsh to Jimmy Page to Eric Clapton. But I think someday I'll buy the Gibson Reissue they make of a '59, but even still those are expensive (about $5,000) so that's in the distant future for me but I'm happy with the Les Pauls I have now. I've upgraded most of them to have a very similar sound to a '59 Les Paul.

I'm about 1 and a half hours from the Springfield and I'm there all the time for appointments and I play the Freedom Jam there with my band which is a private event on a ranch/farm every summer in June and is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

ticky
10-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey Austin and welcome! My I just say what wonderful taste you have *G* From one Walsh fan to another, good to have you here!

WalshFan88
10-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey Austin and welcome! My I just say what wonderful taste you have *G* From one Walsh fan to another, good to have you here!

Thank you! :)

Peekaboo
10-09-2010, 07:01 AM
My apologies for being late on this, Austin, but I would also like to welcome you to The Border. Glad you joined and also glad that you're already enjoying yourself here. :)

WalshFan88
10-09-2010, 11:56 PM
My apologies for being late on this, Austin, but I would also like to welcome you to The Border. Glad you joined and also glad that you're already enjoying yourself here. :)

Thanks!