PDA

View Full Version : Don's Illness

Ive always been a dreamer
10-05-2010, 03:17 PM
As most of you may have read in another thread, the Lubbock, Texas Eagles show scheduled for tonight has been cancelled because of Don being ill. There are no details about the nature of his illness, but let's cross our fingers that it is nothing serious. In the meantime, just wanted to start this thread to wish Don a speedy recovery ...

HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER VERY SOON DON!!!!

Peekaboo
10-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Fingers, toes, eyes, legs, you name it it's crossed.

Get well soon, Don.

AmarilloByMorning
10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Oy... hope it's just a cold!

Brooke
10-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Don, get well soon!

Hope it's nothing major. :worried:

Troubadour
10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Okay... my heart literally dropped when I read the title of this thread.

I really hope it's just a cold (or "man flu" ;)) and that he'll be up and running again very soon. Get well soon, Don! :heart:

TimothyBFan
10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
http://images.zwani.com/graphics/get_well/images/1.gif (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/%3Ccenter%3E%3Ca%20href=)

Hope you're back at it very soon Don!!

(http://www.zwani.com/graphics/get_well/)

sodascouts
10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh my gosh! Yes, I hope he gets better soon! VERY soon!

EaglesFanatic
10-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Feel better Don!! Hope it's nothing too serious.

Maleah
10-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Gosh, this scared me to death too! Hopefully its something very, very minor. Get well soon Don!!

GlennLover
10-06-2010, 02:01 PM
The fact that they have already re scheduled the Lubbock show for the end of the month is a good sign!

Prettymaid
10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Oh my gosh! Yes, I hope he gets better soon! VERY soon!

Yeah, your show is coming up - what - Sunday? And mine is two days after yours! :fear:

Stars
10-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Sending Don get well wishes! Hope he recovers soon from his illness-hopefully just a bad cold!

tequila girl
10-06-2010, 04:24 PM
My heart dropped when I saw the title of this thread - Get Well Soon Don!!:worried:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/carolwayne/get%20well/gw296.gif http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/carolwayne/get%20well/getwellpills.gif

sodascouts
10-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah, your show is coming up - what - Sunday? And mine is two days after yours! :fear:

Oh I know! I'm driving 10 hours for that concert. GET WELL SOON indeed!

Wildthyme
10-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Its does say on the Eagles website that the Fall Tour will resume with the show in Austin.... :yay:

sodascouts
10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prettymaid
10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Woot indeed!

10-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Well - here's hoping Don is feeling great at tonight's show! Can't wait to hear how he did.

Wildthyme
10-11-2010, 12:52 AM
He looked and sounded great tonight. The only odd thing was he never played drums (he did play bongos or whatever you want to call them) but it was such a surprise when he was out front during Hotel California playing the guitar and singing... no idea what was up with that!

AzEaglesFan
10-11-2010, 02:13 AM
I thought that I read "somewhere" that Don had a lot of trouble with his back from sitting and playing drums. I think it even mentioned that he would take some special mattress on tour with him.

Wildthyme
10-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Hmmm maybe he threw his back out and that was why the shows were postponed? It would make sense that he might not want to take any chances right now playing drums if it might mess things up...

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 06:21 AM
It definitely sounds like it could have been his back. He has mentioned before how playing the drums and singing at the same time has damaged his back. He has had massages before every show since the '70s, apparently, because of it. Thank goodness he's back up and running, though. I hope this won't mark a permanent end to his drumming... Although it would be perfectly understandable if he had to cut down during live shows. If he needs a new masseuse, I'm ready, willing and able!

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 07:59 AM
If he needs a new masseuse, I'm ready, willing and able!

How did I know that was coming from you?

I'm anxious to see some video from last night now of the songs that he's usually on the drums for. I bet that was a bit strange to see.

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Just puttin' myself out there. I need a new job anyway... ;)

I'm with you on the video thing. Would love to see him performing LITFL standing at a mic!

Britt
10-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Rumour is Don had a stent put in his heart! According to an Article on the Houston Press! Don't know if this is true or not...i guess we will have to wait and see!!
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2010/10/live_from_the_austin_city_limi_1.php

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 11:15 AM
" News coming out of the media tent: Don Henley of the Eagles had a stent put in his heart this past week. He will be singing and possibly playing guitar, but not exerting himself on drums. This could very well be the last Eagles show for a while - if ever, knowing his temperament."

Is this suppose to be funny? I sure don't find it so! :-x Wonder if it's true about the stent tho.

ETA: I wonder if this also could be why the added opening act....for a shorter setlist so he doesn't over do it either???? Speculation of course.

10-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for posting this Britt. I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to this thread for folks who may be coming here for an update.

Hmmm - I wonder if this is true. It would make sense that he wouldn't be drumming for a little while if he did have a stent. In any event, he's looking good so the miracles of modern medicine must be working well. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
10-11-2010, 12:07 PM
So Don might have had some blockage - wow, more serious than we thought, but at least he's okay. It's amazing how he could go through this and be back on stage in a matter of days!

I agree with you, TBF. I don't find the comment about Don's temperment appropriate in this circumstance.

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 12:37 PM
I confess I was freaking out when Willie text me about this a little while ago... After reading up about heart stents (I didn't know much about them before), I feel a little more reassured. I just hope with everything I've got that he will make a full recovery and be just fine. It's definitely a great sign that he was doing his thing up on stage last night, apparently in good spirits. He would need to avoid the drums, and any other vigorous exercise, for a little while, so that's to be expected.

God, I wish these guys would stop scaring us like this! I don't know if I can take it. I just wish him ALL the best. (And the offer of a masseuse still applies...) Get well soon, Don. :hug:

As for the comment about his temperament... lame, insensitive and uncalled for.

timfan
10-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Here (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5882384/is_a_heart_stent_to_blame_for_don_henleys.html?cat =5) is another article in relation to Don's medical issues. I sure hope he's gonna be Ok! Whether he plays the drums again for the Eagles or not... I guess time will tell!

tbs fanatic
10-11-2010, 12:47 PM
My hubby has a heart stent. It was a while ago but I seem to remember a slow recovery. It's a pretty routine procedure, nowadays, but it still freaked us both out at the time :shock:.

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Soooo, is there no sensitivity in journalism anymore. Geesh!!! This statement is a little exagerated....

had to postpone a number of concerts over the past several weeks due to an undisclosed illness striking co-founder Don Henley.Personally, I wouldn't call it "a number" of concerts and the "past several weeks" is completely untrue!!!! They just started back up 10 days ago for goodness sake!!!!!

ETA: HEY TBSF!!! Where you been? Good to see ya back!!!

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, don't even get me started, Willie!

TBS, it's good to know that your husband is doing well. The impression I got when I was reading about heart stents was that it IS a routine procedure... Of course it's still worrying, though.

Prettymaid
10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
People pay exorbitant prices to see the Eagles in concert; mostly to relive their youth and eat the 'music comfort food' that the band has provided for decades.

'Music comfort food'...I like that.

Troub, I have to laugh at the thought of Don reading your offer to be his personal masseuse, no matter what the ailment.

Lou - Hang nail Mr. Henley? Nothing a good rub down won't take care of. Now let's just get you out of these clothes...

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Well, that thought has made ME feel better... I don't know about him! ;)

I like the phrase "music comfort food", too.

AmarilloByMorning
10-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Aww, man... I've had heart surgery; not entertaining at all. :fear: I really hope he's all right. Evidently stents are used in the treatment of heart disease? Hope that's not the case. Ugh.

Also, I appreciated the article linking to another article about the Eagles "probably" disbanding in 2012. Way to give US heart problems.

Brooke
10-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Yikes! Poor Don! But if he's well enough to do the shows, that is a good sign.

I think the recovery after a heart stent is relative to each patient. My Mom had two several years ago, in her 70's, and also had had a major heart attack, so it took her quite a long time to recover.

Don is much younger and in much better shape physically, plus the years of advancement in the procedure, makes it more encouraging that he's doing very well. Obviously!

Plus, we still aren't positive this is true! Whatever, more power to you, Don! :thumbsup:

10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Great News - the site that Britt originally linked to has been updated. Apparently Irving Azoff issued a statement to the site this afternoon to correct some apparent misinformation. Looks like Don's knee is the culprit, not his heart! :yay:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2010/10/live_from_the_austin_city_limi_1.php

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 04:44 PM
OH. MY. GOODNESS. Are you frickin' serious?! I am so happy!!!

And feel slightly stupid for being hyper-emotional most of the afternoon...

tbs fanatic
10-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Oh Yay! Not 'Yay, he has a bad knee' but 'Yay, it's not his heart' - LOL.

Prettymaid
10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Now I'm really confused. Do we completely disregard the firsthand info from the band's crew and believe Irving's statement? How do we know that they didn't want the truth leaked and came up with this knee story? Would a bad knee prevent Don from playing drums? :confused:

10-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, I definitely think a bad knee could prevent him from playing the drums. Maybe Don had a stent placed in his knee, and the reporter just assumed it was his heart. I'd be surprised if they were lying in an official statement. :shrug:

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Drummers use their feet, so yeah, I'd assume a bad knee (certainly one that required surgery) could definitely stop him playing drums for a while.

I know what you mean though, PM... I'm still cautiously excited.

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm kinda with PM on this one! Seems rather strange but if indeed someone misspoke, I bet heads will roll!!!! And sorry, but I can totally see them trying to cover it up and keep it hush. :shrug: JMO tho.

tequila girl
10-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I really, really, really hope it is his knee, not that I wish Don ill at all - but it's better to have a dodgy knee than a dodgy heart, :heart: but I can't help thinking as has already been said would "the powers that be" tell us the truth? :hmm: Either way 'Get Better Soon Don' :hug: :iloveyou: :xoxo:

AzEaglesFan
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
There are no secrets, just a matter of finding the one person willing to spill the beans. lol I can believe Don's knee would stop him from playing the drums. Sitting with your knees bent for even a little while can be very painful if you have something wrong. I know because I had knee trouble for years and if I sat for long I had a hard time standing up and walking.

10-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Well - it seems to me that if they had just been forthcoming about the illness in the first place, it would have stopped a lot of the speculation. Why in the world didn't they just announce the nature of the illness at the time the shows were postponed is beyond me. I respect the desire for privacy, but these guys are public figures, and their fans want to know if they are ill enough to have to cancel shows. They don't have to give us all the gory details, but just a general statement would be nice.

At this point, the official statement was made to presumably stop some misinformation that had been given out. Honestly, I have no idea what purpose it would serve for Irving to not be forthcoming at this point, and if that were to turn out to be the case, then I would definitely give them a big :thumbsdown: in PR!!!

But the important thing is that, hopefully, Don is going to have a quick and full recovery.

Peekaboo
10-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Whoa!! Talk about an emotional roller coaster I was just on while reading these last few pages. First i'm worried by the fact that Don has any sort of illness at all. Then I'm happy that he's back in concert so quickly with the rest of the guys at the ACL music festival. Now i'm a bit confused about the cause of the illness. At first, the early speculations of his back being the culprit seemed like a good assumption but then the announcement of a stent being put in for his heart seemed like a viable reason too. I agree with Cathy and Willie that this seems a bit strange. Whether it was the stent or because of his knee, I can completely understand why he wasn't on the drums but what gets me is if he really did have a knee injury of any kind I would think that it would still be really difficult for him to be standing up for a couple of hours for a concert. I've also had knee injuries and surgery on my knee and even with excellent trainers working with me and helping me with physical therapy I still had a difficult time standing and walking for some time after. I know it took more than a week after my surgery before I could walk fairly normal. Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy and relieved that Don is now doing well and back on stage so quickly after the recent postponements but i'm just a bit skeptical of the reason that Irving gave.

sodascouts
10-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Whatever the problem, Don was energetic at ACL and I see no reason to be concerned. Yeah, he wasn't drumming, but that was the only indication that something was amiss. His voice was dead-on, he was moving around well, and there was no visible indication that he was in any pain or discomfort. Indeed, he seemed in high spirits, making jokes and talking more than usual. If he is suffering, he's hiding it well. I personally believe he's simply making a speedy recovery and we all should relax.

Troubadour
10-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for that, Soda. Reassuring.

carol7lynn
10-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Now I'm really confused. Do we completely disregard the firsthand info from the band's crew and believe Irving's statement? How do we know that they didn't want the truth leaked and came up with this knee story? :confused:

"Is the head dead yet? Get the widow on the set..." is probably what Henley is thinking if he reads any of this stuff about him. Truth is stranger than fiction to be sure.

Anyway, my money is on the crew member being right and Irving trying to cover it up because of dollars and cents. Tour insurance on Henley would go up, in fact probably way up, if he had a stent inserted into an artery despite the almost routine nature of the procedure nowdays-ex-Pres Clinton had two put in this past winter. Not so much with a bum knee.

If I remember correctly, Henley quit college back in the day because his father was dying from heart problems. So maybe heart disease runs in the family-or his dad was a smoker. Anyway that's my two cents.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal:computer:

Freypower
10-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Whitcap alerted me to this thread & I hope that Don is OK & can resume playing drums before they reach Australia.

Prettymaid
10-18-2010, 09:34 PM
As much as I enjoy Don playing drums, if his mood continues to be as good as it was in Indy, I'd prefer that he didn't!

Koala
11-23-2010, 03:18 AM
It's a bit off topic but...
I have noticed that Don's illness and therefor had to be reschedule some concert, in the German press was not mentioned. It was quite different as Timothy was ill, there were several articles to read about it. This has surprised me.
As, Don is more famous at us, because if to hear Solo songs on the radio (or the eagles are mentioned somewhere e.g., in the TV) these are mostly of Don ( or Glenn) and not from Tim.

Prettymaid
11-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Maybe Timothy is just more forthcoming with his fans. I think he probably gave the okay to have his illness mentioned in the press - Don did not. And that's his right. Some people are more private than others. I'd still like to know Don's story though.

Koala
11-24-2010, 02:32 AM
There you could be right of course.
On the other hand, one could simply also have written. Due to illness of Don Henley had / have some concerts are rescheduled.
Much more did not stand at Timothy articles. But is indeed not really matter!