PDA

View Full Version : Austin City Limits Music Festival 10-10-10

sodascouts
10-11-2010, 01:43 AM
I am freaking exhausted but I thought I would check in really quickly to tell you it was a great show and we got a bit of a surprise in the setlist - They played Long Road Out of Eden! The order has already escaped me, but here is the approximation:

Seven Bridges Road
How Long
Take It to the Limit
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can’t Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
In the City
Lyin' Eyes
Long Road Out of Eden
Walk Away
Boys of Summer
Long Run
Life’s Been Good
Dirty Laundry
Funk 49
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane

[Encore]
Take It Easy
Desperado

More details when I get a chance - which might not be until Tuesday as I have a long drive tomorrow!

BTW, Don fans, don't worry - he looked and sounded great although he didn't do drum duty except for bongos. It was odd to see him out front during songs like Life in the Fast Lane!

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Nancy, that is SO good to hear. I hope some pictures will surface from this event - I have an urge to see Don back up on stage, healthy, after worrying unduly for the past few days! Thrilled everything is okay... Reckon it was something to do with his back then, as he didn't play the drums?

As for you, take care while driving! Have a great journey and, once you're home safe, we'll eagerly await another wonderful review, Soda-style!

Koala
10-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the setlist! Can't wait to heaar more!

here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aclfestival/page4/) you can see a few pics and here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aclfestival/page7/) and here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aclfestival/page8/)!

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 06:04 AM
Koala - thank you so much for posting those links. Love those photos. Ah, the maroon shirt and stubble. :inlove: They all look gorgeous. Love Glenn's shirt, and doesn't Tim look fantastic? So youthful!

Made my day.

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Timothy looks fantastic is right!! Thanks for finding those. Can't wait to hear and see more.

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 07:45 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5070294753_dedf3022f2_z.jpg

Had to share this 'cause I know you guys will find it amusing. I showed one of my long-suffering friends this picture, and she went: "He (Don) still looks scruffy. Glenn still looks like he's in pain. And Tim hasn't cut his hair yet. And where's the other one?" LOL! Poor, unenlightened girl. ;) :lol:

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 07:54 AM
:hilarious: Need to educate her a bit.

OK Troub, how did you get that pic off there? I tried to get a couple (imagine which ones) and it wont let me save them. Am I just being dumb?

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I just enlarged it on Flickr, and then right-clicked and selected "View Image Info" (or similar). It will then bring up a box and you'll see the image URL there. Just select it, and copy and paste it into the Insert Image box here on The Border.

Or, if you just want to save to your computer, you can use the PrtSc function. When you have the image up on Flickr, click PrtSc on your keyboard (top right), and then open Paint, right click, paste and save. It will copy your entire computer screen, so you'll need to do a bit of cropping, but it will work. Let me know if you have any problems!

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I tend to forget about the Prtsc button. Mine doesn't work so I use the snipping tool. Off to take care of that and post in the appropriate thread. Glad I don't have much to do today. :hilarious:

carol7lynn
10-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks Nancy. Safe trip home.

Here a couple vids that have made their way to YT. Who were the people in the sky boxes stage left. VIPs?

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal:nahnah:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mattylawls17
http://www.youtube.com/user/bosox8316
http://www.youtube.com/user/bleedstxorange
http://www.youtube.com/user/stringlake

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Loads of pictures here (http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/Search/Search.aspx?query=z.i.H4sIAAAAAAAEAO29B2AcSZYlJi9t ynt_SvVK1-B0oQiAYBMk2JBAEOzBiM3mkuwdaUcjKasqgcplVmVdZhZAzO2d vPfee--999577733ujudTif33_8_XGZkAWz2zkrayZ4hgKrIHz9-fB8_In7dfLn9-ZNf49f4NX6PX_dskV3kvyb9-pj-n8yqZTrPl2V-_WuO8OGv8Rv8GpufX9P8TOqqal9mdbZofm397NfC_3d38Ovvbt r_ZvjnN6b__3rvXl83p-8MjF_T-5vfzc7Nr7-m_g5wv3Z2PrVd-n-gz19zh3tctO5N9_uvQ41L-4X9C-_9uvRHvbBgwz9_fXy0i79-Pf58YmF0_ubXzkMo9k-GsmOhnHeguL_5tTqEYv9kKHsWSt2B4v4myuTmJf6DyfNrKJl28 elvaL7GZDBtiSb5ynz6awZ__dr5pLHfmD-Y2LnDwfv918pdc-_3X7tZrezn-MPg-FvZFy-n7kX3-69T1R6r2L_4q0nuf2X-wvNrz66W5vdf0_zx6-D_zdobT_DXr51nDgP_D_p95X9h__h1mwBa-Oev_e7Zc8ev9If9Iqs93Lw_fqNmWq3yJ-vlrPSIGHxqAP444DzYuY_ffx3iobVtHvz168xr-UMohL8MhI_p_7_WwQ5-JS5xcuP_8eu9yK_ypv1_APgKoE4zBAAA&sx=AllEditorial) at Getty Images!

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Great Don Pics there! Wow!!

Lovin' the new Avi already Lou!! :thumbsup:

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks! I couldn't resist. :smitten:

Prettymaid
10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Reckon it was something to do with his back then, as he didn't play the drums?

I'm thinking it was his back too.

Doesn't this Matt Ellis like Joe? :eyebrow: :-(

TimothyBFan
10-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm thinking it was his back too.

Doesn't this Matt Ellis like Joe? :eyebrow: :-(

Apparently not or not much on Timothy either but at least we got a couple there. Sure has a thing for Don tho.

luvthelighthouse
10-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Soda, Thanks for taking the time to share that AWESOME set list! :thumbsup: Drive safely, we know that's a long distance to travel.

Koala, thanks for finding the pics. Joe's arms look like he's been working out? They look fantastic as always.

tequila girl
10-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for finding all the Fab pics Guys..................Lou LOVE your Avi :thumbsup::heart: I'm gonna have to find myself a similar one - he sure looks good!!:inlove::inlove:

GlennLover
10-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post the setlist, Soda. Drive carefully!!!

Koala
10-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Loads of pictures here (http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/Search/Search.aspx?query=z.i.H4sIAAAAAAAEAO29B2AcSZYlJi9t ynt_SvVK1-B0oQiAYBMk2JBAEOzBiM3mkuwdaUcjKasqgcplVmVdZhZAzO2d vPfee--999577733ujudTif33_8_XGZkAWz2zkrayZ4hgKrIHz9-fB8_In7dfLn9-ZNf49f4NX6PX_dskV3kvyb9-pj-n8yqZTrPl2V-_WuO8OGv8Rv8GpufX9P8TOqqal9mdbZofm397NfC_3d38Ovvbt r_ZvjnN6b__3rvXl83p-8MjF_T-5vfzc7Nr7-m_g5wv3Z2PrVd-n-gz19zh3tctO5N9_uvQ41L-4X9C-_9uvRHvbBgwz9_fXy0i79-Pf58YmF0_ubXzkMo9k-GsmOhnHeguL_5tTqEYv9kKHsWSt2B4v4myuTmJf6DyfNrKJl28 elvaL7GZDBtiSb5ynz6awZ__dr5pLHfmD-Y2LnDwfv918pdc-_3X7tZrezn-MPg-FvZFy-n7kX3-69T1R6r2L_4q0nuf2X-wvNrz66W5vdf0_zx6-D_zdobT_DXr51nDgP_D_p95X9h__h1mwBa-Oev_e7Zc8ev9If9Iqs93Lw_fqNmWq3yJ-vlrPSIGHxqAP444DzYuY_ffx3iobVtHvz168xr-UMohL8MhI_p_7_WwQ5-JS5xcuP_8eu9yK_ypv1_APgKoE4zBAAA&sx=AllEditorial) at Getty Images!
Thanks love the photos!
Lou,I really love your new avatar!

Koala
10-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I have just found this article.

The Eagles Close Out Austin City Limits (http://www.spinner.com/2010/10/11/the-eagles-austin-city-limits/)

Troubadour
10-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Thank you guys - I'm glad you love the avatar as much as I do!

Cathy... given the recent update, how I wish it WAS his back that was the problem. But, as these pictures and videos show, he looked and sounded fantastic. I'm going to take that as a good sign.

Koala, thanks, as ever, for finding all of these great pics and reviews.

luvthelighthouse
10-11-2010, 02:32 PM
given the recent update, how I wish it WAS his back that was the problem.

Did I miss an update? I'm so lost lately, I don't doubt I missed something!

ETA: Wow, how did I miss that? Glad Don is feeling better! Thanks for saying something Troub... I totally would have missed that!

Prettymaid
10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
CL, thanks for the videos. In the first one (Lyin' Eyes) Glenn takes Joe's joke about dedicating the song to anyone who has never had a song dedicated to them. I guess even he's getting tired of the plaintiff joke. :hilarious:

timfan
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
More videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw0i8ZcKHSg

I LOVE the ICTYW Video.. the effect of seeing Timothy on the Big Screen with him standing in front is quite.. breathtaking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJzcl8Qoj4

Dirty Laundry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrpDF9J9kzA

Take It Easy & Desperado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxPSMmYAvZ0

Seven Bridges Road

rickmullen
10-12-2010, 12:29 AM
What, no "Rocky Mountain Way" in the setlist at ACL?

Here's hoping we will get a longer show and setlist (including RMW)
at the Louisville show on Saturday!

Thanks for all the reports everybody.

Rick

AzEaglesFan
10-12-2010, 01:47 AM
The video that says it's band intros also includes quite a bit of Life's Been Good.

Koala
10-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Awww, thanks, evryone, for all the videos!

Peekaboo
10-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Safe journey home, Soda. Can't wait to read your review.

All of those pics are fantastic!! Now i'm off to watch those videos before they get taken down.

sodascouts
10-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Back home in one piece! I'll put the review up tonight. If I forget anything Cami can fill in the gaps!

And my friend has become a new convert to the Eagles fandom! After the show, she said "When and where is their next show? Is it close? Are you going? I want to see them again!" (She and I have been to many a Stevie/Lindsey/Fleetwood Mac show together so the "multiple show" aspect was a given). I told her at this point I didn't think so but I would give her a call if I weakened and decided to go to one more before they left for Australia. lol

Brooke
10-12-2010, 10:38 AM
:yay: a new convert! Good job, Soda!

Glad you made it back safely and can't wait to hear all about it!

Wildthyme
10-12-2010, 09:14 PM
What, no "Rocky Mountain Way" in the setlist at ACL?

Here's hoping we will get a longer show and setlist (including RMW)
at the Louisville show on Saturday!

Thanks for all the reports everybody.

Rick

They only had two hours to perform at ACL so they had to modify the list. They obviously planned to do RMW because they had Joe's talk box set up but time ran out and RMW was what got cut from the usual three encore songs...

Koala
10-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Another article

Eagles the perfect wrap-up to Austin music festival (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/Eagles_were_a_perfect_wrap-up_to_ACL_104792344.html)

sodascouts
10-13-2010, 09:28 AM
All those hoity-toity, self-important critics protesting that the Eagles were a horrific idea for the Austin City Limits Music Festival had to eat a healthy portion of crow Sunday night. The Eagles were a huge hit. The show was fantastic and everyone was eating it up, from folks like me crushed up against the rail (still have the bruises on my arms but SO WORTH IT) back to the folks sitting in the boonies by the bar tents like my sister and her hubby.

As usual, I’m going to break it down so you can skip ahead to the concert if you like.

PRE-EAGLES

The wait itself was excruciating. Cami was there at 11:00 when the doors opened and got right up front; my friend Kristin and I got there at about 11:45 and joined her. We’d have gotten there earlier but I had to put in some family time with my little niece Sophia since I was staying at my sister’s. She is an adorable almost-4-year-old (she turns 4 on Nov. 7) and she always gets really excited to see her Aunt Nancy, which is nice. Still, I have to say I was thinking as I played with her “I need to get to ACL!” and was happy when her daddy took her to church so we could get going. (I know, I know, I come off as a bad aunt here, but I did make sure to lavish attention upon her the next day before I left).

I was so eager to join Cami ASAP that Kristin and I practically ran to where she was. She was next to a nice mother-and-son pair named Theresa and Richard that we were to get to know over the course of the next few hours! They were kind enough to share their blanket (although Richard didn’t sit down ONE TIME the whole day).

They wanted to save a place for their friend with skin cancer who couldn’t wait in the sun. We all tried our best to keep a spot clear, including contorting our bodies in all sorts of ways to get our legs across areas where people were trying to encroach. Unfortunately, it was all for naught; even a guy with skin cancer can’t get the crowd to step aside so he can get up front once the crush for the Eagles began.

At that point, though, we were still holding out hope he’d be able to make it up even after the sun fell. The crowd was looser and we were able to go to the port-a-potties and back as well as get drinks without too much angst.

However, as I went to get lunch, the first group was announced – Ted Leo and The Pharmacists (http://www.tedleo.com/) – and the shape of things to come started to emerge. By the time I returned with my pizza, I was having to hold it over my head and chant “excuse me, excuse me” to get past the large group that was gathering (although it was nothing compared to later).

I knew then that it was going to be a looooooooong day…. Because the attitude towards seating seemed to be “You move it – you lose it.”

Oh, and here's a quote from Ted Leo: "Thank you, Eagles fans, for not throwing $hit at us."

It was already very hot and the band wasn’t coming on for another eight hours, but we were determined to score the best “seats” in the house and that we pretty much did. We were smack dab in front of Tim and Glenn – the microphones were placed closer together and more in the center than normally, which worked out well for us!

The day was horribly hot and, as Stevie Nicks says, we Eagles fans “suffered for the love.” I remember at about 3:00, after we’d already heard two frankly unimpressive bands - Portugal, the Man (http://portugaltheman.com/) was the second one up, and they had basically the same quasi-metal sound of the preceding band - I realized that we had five more hours to go before the Eagles came on. Yes, five more hours of misery in the hot sun punctuated by brief musical interludes of bands which might actually increase my suffering if they continued to suck.

I was already drenched in sweat, beet red, and feeling dizzy from the copious amounts of pot being smoked all around us (people were smoking that stuff all day). I literally sunk down to the ground with a groan. The guys better be good tonight, I thought. The Jazz Aspen Festival was a freaking cakewalk next to this.

Even though the next act was actually enjoyable - Robert Earl Keen (http://www.robertearlkeen.com/) - I rocked from the ground. It wasn't until Band of Horses (http://www.bandofhorses.com/us/georgia), the act that preceded the Eagles, came onstage that I stood up and stayed up. It wasn't because the band was so awesome - although they were an improvement over the first two - it was that it had become apparent that if I didn't stand folks were going to try and hop in front of me.

The crush began in earnest about an hour before the Eagles came on. One girl even shoved her bag against my legs in attempt to make me move. As if I would move from my primo spot just because of a little pain! I mashed my foot down. At that point, she would have needed to pull out a shotgun if she wanted me to move.

It became so crushed that we were all literally pressed against each other. Cami said something like "Good thing we're friends!" There wasn't even room for me to put down my arms, so I held them awkwardly over the rail. It wasn't comfortable and I got some bruises, but it also gave me room to clap. Works for me!

EAGLES

Finally, 8:00 neared. The sun had gone down, there was a breeze, and the atmosphere had gone from being tortuous to being electric.

The crowd attempted to break into the chorus of "Hotel California" but was forced to quit after it became apparent that the vast majority of amateur singers did not know the words once they got past "Welcome to the Hotel California." Next, they inexplicably broke into "Hey Jude" and "Lean on Me" (which I guess was appropriate given the crowd mash).

Finally, as the clock counted down to 8:00, the crowd started chanting "EA-GLES! EA-GLES!! EA-GLES!!!" I joined them and hoped the guys heard because I wanted them out there ASAP!

And out they came! As you've seen from the photos by now, Glenn was wearing jeans and a light blue/white/pink checked shirt over a white T-shirt; Don was wearing a dark red shirt and dark jeans and sporting that beard I like so much; Joe was wearing a black vest over a black t-shirt with with silver zig-zag stripes; Tim was all in black.

They practically ran out and Glenn got to the mike and started gesturing to each guy with a "That's Joe! That's Don! That's Tim! I'm Glenn! We're the Eagles! How are you doing tonight?"

I got a huge grin and thought "YES THIS WILL BE WORTH IT."

Seven Bridges Road
It was the short version but I still get thrilled to the tips of my toes whenever I hear that harmony fire up with "There are stars in the southern sky...." aaaaaah, it's-a so nice, as Joe would say.

How Long
Then they went right into a spirited "How Long." I had told my friend that this would be the only new song, much to her disappointment - she loves "Busy Being Fabulous." Of course, I would have to eat my words later. At this point it was apparent that it would be a high-energy show.

Take It to the Limit
Ah, my favorite! I love the way they do it live now; the acoustic stool version was nice but it never really captured the intense drama that puts the song over the top for me. Every time they come to that part of the chorus with the full stops - "Take IT.... to the LIMIT...." - my breath catches, my hearts pounds - this song does it for me every time. In fact, after the song, I actually jumped up and down and screamed "I LOVE THAT SONG!" as if I hadn't heard it so many times before. That's why I love the Eagles - they make me feel like it's the first time every time.

Hotel California
As the lights dropped for "Hotel California" I noticed that Don was not moving behind the drum kit. It's not as if I'd never seen him to the song from the front - he's done it that way at solo shows before - but seeing him line up like that with the Eagles was certainly different. One cool thing that resulted was that the Eagles were forced to do some new moves when it came to sharing mikes and changing positions for the songs. This was Don's first lead and there was no indication of any problem. In fact, it was really hot.

Peaceful Easy Feeling
Back to Glenn! I sighed dreamily as the romantic song was performed flawlessly. Glenn's voice was gorgeous, the backing harmonies melded perfectly, and he did those "oohs" during the instrumental interlude (yes, I will note that every time). The whole song was absolutely enchanting.

I Can’t Tell You Why
Due to the configuration of both the stage and the addition of Don's mike, the keyboard was facing the crowd and closer to the front on the left. Tim looked right out at the crowd as he sang with this soulful look on his face - we were enthralled. The back-and-forth with was smooth and lilting, as was that lovely guitar solo at the end. Love it.

Witchy Woman
The spotlight hit Don up at the front as he announced that they were going to do "Witchy Woman" for all the witches out there, since it was nearing Halloween - "And that's 'WITCHES' with a 'W.'" That got a big laugh. Hey, Don's speaking before "The Long Run"! And joking! I thought happily. Then he proceeded to nail the vocal to the wall. Glenn played an extended guitar solo for the song on the current incarnation of "Old Black" that was extremely cool. The crowd went wild for this song! All these little changes were delighting me - and there were more to come!

Lyin' Eyes
Chit-chat time again as Glenn said something like, "That was from 1972, back when the Dead Sea was only sick!" [wait a beat for the laughter and groans]. "Now let's go to 1975. It was a good year for me and the boys...." then he paused and said "Don and I were writing songs..." I thought, I wonder if he just remembered that except for Don, none of the other 'boys' he's referring to are currently in the band. However, he continued with the usual story about how he and Don visited Dan Tana's and saw multitudes of beautiful women, none of which were available to them (at which point I yelled "YEAH RIGHT" - those guys were never hurting for women), and that they were thus inspired to write "Lyin' Eyes." "We wrote that song in two days. Now... maybe two years," Glenn said wryly. He told the joke about how they did everything fast back then, with that great comedic timing and delivery he has. Everyone was cracking up.

Then he began, "I'd like to dedicate this song to..." and paused. I waited for "my first wife Plaintiff" but he suddenly said "...to everybody who's never had a song dedicated to them before," and gestured out to the crowd. The crowd cheered loudly for that because as you can imagine, that applied to most everyone there! I thought, See Glenn? There are other ways to get a crowd response besides using the Plaintiff joke! Keep branching out! The song itself was a real hit with the crowd who was singing along with every word. Nothing new there, though - the crowd was eating up everything the band was doing.

In the City
Joe stood at the mike in all his glory, belting out those notes and rockin' the house with his guitar. On a shallow note, I would later hear comments from my brother-in-law and sister noting that he not only played great, he had some terrific arm muscles!

Long Road Out of Eden
I heard those sound effects that usually begin this song and I immediately thought. "NO WAY are they doing this song tonight." I said to Cami, "Are they going to do 'Long Road Out of Eden'? Surely not!" She said "Sounds like it to me." Sure enough, the music started in earnest and off they went. My first thought: Cool! They're changing it up - all bets are off for the setlist now! Maybe they'll even do "Best of My Love"! My second thought: This is a really long song and it's a shortened set. I bet they had to drop two songs to accommodate it. That thought didn't make me so happy but oh well.

I have to admit, it seemed a very odd choice for a festival setting. It's not exactly a contemplative atmosphere. At any rate, Joe was very creative with the guitar solo. It was very different from the album. The crowd was into that, at least!

Walk Away
As always, those images at the end of "Long Road Out of Eden" make me feel pretty somber, so it was a bit of a shock when they were followed by the infectious upbeat riffs of "Walk Away." Don had moved behind the bongo drums for this. A fun moment was when Joe went over to the front of the stage to play his solo and, to my surprise, Glenn and Tim followed him over there and the three of them rocked in the spotlight together! I loved it because it emphasized "Hey, the Eagles are doing this song, not just standing back and having Joe do everything." They went back to their mikes as Joe hollered "I GOT TO COOL MYSELF DOWN! STOMPIN' AROUND!" At this Glenn literally spun around stomping, LOL! They seemed to be having so much fun!

OK - I have to run now to work. Part two later!

TimothyBFan
10-13-2010, 09:42 AM
:applause: So far so good, as usual. :thumbsup: Can't wait for part 2. Now off to the Indy thread to see if PM has been fed yet and getting busy with her review of last night.

luvthelighthouse
10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Soda, I don't know how you do it... but you make each show expierence so unique! I love reading your reviews!

I commented earlier that I thought Joe looked like he had been working out. So I LOL when I read your sister noticed the arms!

Happy to hear Glenn had an different intro to Lyin' Eyes! It's the little things...

Brooke
10-13-2010, 01:49 PM
folks like me crushed up against the rail (still have the bruises on my arms but SO WORTH IT)

The wait itself was excruciating.

I knew then that it was going to be a looooooooong day…. Because the attitude towards seating seemed to be “You move it – you lose it.”

It was already very hot and the band wasn’t coming on for another eight hours,

The day was horribly hot and, as Stevie Nicks says, we Eagles fans “suffered for the love.”

five more hours of misery in the hot sun punctuated by brief musical interludes of bands which might actually increase my suffering if they continued to suck.

I was already drenched in sweat, beet red, and feeling dizzy from the copious amounts of pot being smoked all around us (people were smoking that stuff all day). I literally sunk down to the ground with a groan.

The crush began in earnest about an hour before the Eagles came on.

I got some bruises,

Soda and Wt, hearing all this makes me think you two must be the most dedicated Eagles fans ever! Good grief, I think I now know why my daughter said she hated the ACL and was glad she was out of town for the weekend. Eagles or no Eagles! Now I know why I won't go to a festival to see them! I prefer numbered seats, sat in or not!

And I loved this part:

That's why I love the Eagles - they make me feel like it's the first time every time.

I'm so glad you somehow enjoyed this show after all the suffering you went through for it. From the pictures, the guys all looked great and like they were having a blast!

Troubadour
10-13-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm eating up all this info! Superbly written, as usual. Can't wait for the next part. I'm so glad the guys made your suffering worthwhile!

TimothyBFan
10-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I know Troub---I've been back on the site 100 times today watching for this review and the Indy one.

Cami---I noticed that you put some new pics of Will in Steph's birthday thread, were there more? Have I missed them?

Wildthyme
10-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Cami---I noticed that you put some new pics of Will in Steph's birthday thread, were there more? Have I missed them?

They are from the pictures I took at ACL. I still need to download the bulk of them but I knew I had some okay shots of Will in there so I wanted to post them for Steph since it was her birthday. I will get the rest of the photos up and linked soon.

I'm eating up all this info! Superbly written, as usual. Can't wait for the next part. I'm so glad the guys made your suffering worthwhile!

This is why I like it when Nancy goes to a show that I am at. Her reviews are SO much better written than anything I can come up with and she seems to remember all the pertinent details :thumbsup:

Lou, I have no problem suffering for our boys... I would have sat there ten hours longer if I had to. What is wrong with me??? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

And just as a side note... I really loved Robert Earl Keen's music and I really liked Austin and San Antonio... I think I fell for Texas or at least that part of it while I was out there. I do believe I could actually live there which comes as a shock to me though no one ever in a million billion years will turn me into a Dallas Cowboys fan :lol:

Wildthyme
10-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Okay I got the photos from ACL uploaded to my photobucket - here is the link: Austin City Limits Festival Photos (http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af223/camip14/Eagles%20Austin%20TX%2010-10-10/)

Troubadour
10-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh my gosh, Cami - AMAZING photos!

This one killed me. With your consent, I may have to break the habit of a lifetime (ahem) and change my avatar in the near future...

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af223/camip14/Eagles%20Austin%20TX%2010-10-10/DSC00346.jpg

:inlove:

Koala
10-14-2010, 01:42 AM
:thumbsup:Soda thanks for part one, can't wait to read part two!
WT, WOW what for amazing photos, thanks!:thumbsup:

Wildthyme
10-14-2010, 04:05 AM
Go for it Lou :D

TimothyBFan
10-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Oh Cami--You made my morning!! Gorgeous!!!! I hope you don't mind if I go put a few of them in Schmit Sexiness!! Thank you once again!!

Scooby
10-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the reviews and photos everyone!! :headbang:
I'm going to the Des Moines show and CANT WAIT!

Lisa
10-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the fantastic writing-reviews-pictures of the Eagles performances!
The setlist is so compleat.
I can't believe it. (That all of the songs are in the same show).
I'm glad they're playing the numbers from "Long Road Out of Eden," as well as some of the 'seventies songs. (I think that other Borderers have often mentioned that some of the solo 'eighties hits would be great in an Eagles setlist, too! I'm glad that "Dirty Laundry" and "The Boys of Summer" were included, and that Joe has so many songs--"Walk Away," "Funk 49," "Life's Been Good." I guess the encores were shortened to get the show finished on time--I'm reading from the other list --10-12-10--, here).

eaglesvet
10-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Excellent pix, and excellent review! Can't wait for more!! I agree with you that many parts of Texas are really quite nice...Austin, San Antonio, the Padre Islands...from what I recall from a vacation a number of years ago.

Prettymaid
10-15-2010, 12:28 PM
WT, your pictures are gorgeous!

And Nancy, I'm ready for part two...

So-DA! So-DA! So-DA!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Brooke
10-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Ditto! Yoo hoo!

sodascouts
10-16-2010, 01:55 AM
Shoot, I gotta get this Part 2 up before everybody forgets about it - and I forget some details! "Real life" is getting in the way again, which means this will be somewhat truncated. Boo! But here it is:

Boys of Summer
People complain about solo songs in the set but this gets a big response every time. Don was rockin' out. Glenn did that cute and impressive bit where he crouches down then pops back up. The effect was somewhat spoiled, however, when he jokingly grabbed his back!

Long Run
Another song that gets a big crowd response, especially with Tim making that extra effort to engage the crowd. Don and Glenn did their Farewell 1 moves during the shakin'/breakin' part. (I almost put shakin'n'bakin there lol). Don was dancing around and having a good time. He was in such high spirits! When Don sang "Did you do it for money?" Glenn nodded. I busted out laughing. Afterward, I asked Cami "Did you see what Glenn did?" Before I could go further, she said, "I was looking at Don, Nancy." Oops! I tried to tell her that I too was looking at Don during his leads and just happened to glance in Glenn's direction at that particular second, but the next song started up.... Still, I give all our guys their props!

Band Intros
Glenn did the usual introductions, although he momentarily forgot the hometown of the drum tech who was helping out since Don wasn't drumming. Hey, he's got a lot of people to introduce up there, give him a break! lol Tim introduced Glenn in his usual endearing manner as the "Master of Ceremonies" and "Fearless Leader." Later, as Glenn dramatically declared that Don Henley was from "Linden, Texas" the crowd really erupted and gave it up for Don! Glenn held up a can of something and called it the "drink of champions" before he took a swig. I didn't actually see what it was so I didn't get the joke, unfortunately! Maybe Red Bull? He joked about that at a solo show a few years back. Yes, I remember jokes from solo shows in 2006. lol (Well, I remember the funny ones, at least).

Life’s Been Good
This was the favorite of my sister and her husband. They thought it was a hoot with great guitar, and I have to agree! Joe did the updated "They send me e-mails" lyrics. Hey, we did do that through Eagles Radio, remember? The song becomes the reality! I told my friend she needed to watch the background graphics because they were really funny. As a result, I found myself watching them, too, and so I didn't catch as much of the guys' moves! It's hilarious to see those clips and photos though... very reminiscent of a well-done YouTube fan video montage, in fact. ;)

Dirty Laundry
Again, I started watching the background so I could point out to my friend the funny bits - she is a huge Harry Potter fan and was delighted when I showed her the Timothy joke cover. After the concert, she said she'd be sure to look for Timothy in the next Harry Potter movie, lol! Once again Don was completely into it and having a grand ol' time, as were all the guys.

Funk 49
Fun times! This always get everybody going, and the guys were movin' to the groove! They did their cute "freeze frame" bit towards the end as well, although Glenn didn't do his counting to a particular person bit. That's probably for the best because he looks so intense when he does it that he sometimes freaks out the "chosen one" who is unfamiliar with the bit!

Heartache Tonight
As this revved into gear, the crowd got amped up even more. At this point it was pretty much a frenzy around us. People were valiantly trying to dance despite the very close quarters... hootin' and hollerin'.... Dang, those Eagles still got it! ;)

Life in the Fast Lane
I don't know what the deal was here but Don and Glenn kept turning to Crago and giving him cues. In fact, at the beginning of the song, Don was so busy looking at Crago that he missed his own cue and had to hustle to the mike and jump in mid-line with "....He was brutally handsome." At the end of the song, Glenn and Don were visibly signaling to Crago when he should do the drum rolls. Guess only Don knows how to do that one right with the Eagles, eh? lol I have to say, Don playing a guitar on LITFL was really messing with my head. I kept thinking "That's just wrong." lol

Encore break
Luckily, this didn't last long as they came out before we could chant "EA-GLES" more than a few times. That's right, don't waste precious time on fake goodbyes when you have a curfew!

Take It Easy
This song just makes me smile. What can I say? My friend commented that she had been to Winslow and it didn't look nearly as nice as the background images. That made me think of Jess and Lou and their "Winslow Adventure." Anyway, the vocals were terrific and we all got carried along with the song. Kids who were born long after 1972 were wearing grins and singing along with the 60-year-olds who had managed to keep their places at the front. Something about this song really strikes a chord; there's a reason it's right up there with "Hotel California" as a definitive Eagles song. It's a terrific way to start wrapping it up.

Desperado
Then, there's that final number - "Desperado" - where you can't help but get a little bummed as you realize you're just under four minutes from the end. I still don't care much for the way everyone but Don hovers in the shadows for much of this song, but it was well-performed as usual.

Afterward, before they waved their goodbyes, Glenn yelled at the crowd "We had a great time rocking in Austin!" We did indeed, Glenn!

And despite my complaints about the heat and such, I'm so glad I went. I loved the show and the guys were really ON. They rocked ACL and rocked my world!

MikeA
10-16-2010, 07:59 AM
No doubt, this ACL will have been captured on film. I wonder if Eagles signed off to allow their performance during this festival to be shown on TV?

Brooke
10-16-2010, 10:26 AM
I was wondering about this, too. I'm betting not! :-(

Koala
10-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Soda, thanks for Part 2 from your review! As always it was great to read your detailed review! :)

sodascouts
10-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Found more photos! (forgive me if these have been posted already and I just missed it - it's been a long week)!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amicitas/5070584240/in/set-72157625138034570/

This is by Steve Hopper:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/joe/JWalshACL2010.jpg

And a Glenn mention in this article about the band called The National (http://www.oudaily.com/news/2010/oct/10/austin-city-limits-diary-sunday-oct-10-2010/), who also played the festival:

"They returned after an encore request, which [lead singer] Berninger said they were allowed by a gracious Glenn Frey, who he claimed to have seen in the shower in the artist village earlier that day."

Hmm... lucky Mr. Berninger!

Koala
10-21-2010, 02:36 AM
GREAT pics!

Another article:
http://www.themonitor.com/articles/andy-43715-comer-want.html

Prettymaid
10-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks Soda. Great lighting in this one. Taking it over to Schmit Sexiness next!

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Timothy%20B%20Schmit/TBSinAustin.jpg

StephUK
03-15-2011, 06:47 PM
More photos on Flickr which I don't think have been posted before.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanmalone/sets/72157625141798298/with/5070824142/

Glennhoney
03-15-2011, 09:20 PM
..all the photos are awesome..thanks!!

sodascouts
03-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Steph, you are my hero! Great finds in all the threads, but I especially like this because I was there.

Koala
03-16-2011, 02:32 AM
Great Photos:yay:! THANKS!:-)

Prettymaid
03-16-2011, 07:04 AM
There are some beautiful closeups there. I wish I could move them to the appropriate threads!

StephUK
03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Steph, you are my hero! Great finds in all the threads, but I especially like this because I was there.

You're welcome.

MikeA
03-16-2011, 09:59 AM
In looking through those Flicker Pics, I noticed that in all but one photo, Joe was using a Duesenberg. The only one I saw that was not a Doose was his smoke Strat. And, If I'm not mistaken, all the Doose's were semi-hollow.

I wonder if he is going for a different sound with Eagles these days?

TimothyBFan
03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
In looking through those Flicker Pics, I noticed that in all but one photo, Joe was using a Duesenberg. The only one I saw that was not a Doose was his smoke Strat. And, If I'm not mistaken, all the Doose's were semi-hollow.

Huh? :headscratch: What language is this?

MikeA
03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Joe play a wide variety of guitars, but traditionally, he's pretty much stuck with solid body guitars like the Fender Stratocaster and Gibson Les Pauls with a sprinkling of Telecasters tossed into the set.

But starting back with the Farewell Tours, he began using more Carvin guitars though most of them were also solid body guitars.

The Duesenbergs guitars he's using are either semi-hollow body or hollow body guitars. The hollow body guitars are sort of like an acoustic guitar....the body is completely hollow and they have usually either "F" holes (eff-holes) in the wings of the body or they have a circular hole under the strings.

The semi hollow body guitars have a slab of wood running the length of the body but the "wings" on either side of that slab of wood are hollow either made by chambering out "hollows" in a solid block or by forming the body with three pieces of wood (a back, a top and a side).

Each of these type guitars has a different "tone". The solid body guitar is known for its enormous sustain (strike a note and it rings forever!). The Hollow Body guitars generally have a "warmer" sound and usually don't have the sustain that a solid has. The Semi-hollow guitars fall somewhere in the middle.

My Epiphone Sheraton II (my "black guitar"; the Gibson ES-335 clone) is a semi-hollow body. The Beatles used an almost identical Epiphone called a "Casino" that is completely hollow in their early years.

My Telecaster is completely solid.

My Les Paul is chambered.

So I have a pretty good mix of all three sounds.